What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

Hope it shapes up in hurry El Floppo!

Amazing job BassnBrew.

It is supposed to be 86 F in Chicago this weekend. :sadbanana:

It is supposed to be 86 F in Chicago this weekend. :)
Holy hell!So I made an apt with the ortho for next thursday. :shrug:Any suggestions for what to do with myself until then? - Do a light run this weekend depending on how things are feeling (and obviously bag the long run scheduled? - Stop whining like my 3 1/2 month old when he's got to poop and just do the runs as scheduled? - [GordonRamsey] SHUT IT DOWN [/Donkey]?

It is supposed to be 86 F in Chicago this weekend. :thumbup:
Ah, but 67 for a low, meaning low70s at least for the start. Run faster, and finish before it really warms up! :football:Be sure to hydrate, meaning drink at least something at each water stop. Get a couple of salt packets from your favorite burger joint, take one just before the start, and another at the halfway. Dress in light colors, as black/dark blue will warm you up even quicker.Good luck!

It is supposed to be 86 F in Chicago this weekend. :rolleyes:
Ah, but 67 for a low, meaning low70s at least for the start. Run faster, and finish before it really warms up! :DBe sure to hydrate, meaning drink at least something at each water stop. Get a couple of salt packets from your favorite burger joint, take one just before the start, and another at the halfway. Dress in light colors, as black/dark blue will warm you up even quicker.Good luck!
I remember 60's temps! Last did a run that low on April 21. I am so looking forward to November :clap: This Saturday morning the temp will be 78 at race start time - looks like there will be a decent breeze tho so it should be OK.

It is supposed to be 86 F in Chicago this weekend. :banned:
As they say, though, it's typically cooler near the lake (which is true). It'll be warm, but I wouldn't expect it to get summer-heat type of unbearable. Remember your bandaids. Rusty, I wish you the best. Enjoy Chicago, and be strong through the marathon! Focus on mental planning, now. Who else is up - gruecd ...Darrin?

Floppo, play it safe. Remember your #1 goal!!!!!

I've pretty much done squat this week after last Sunday's 20 miler and subsequent achilles pain. :lol: :bag: But I feel very rested and the heel is generally feeling OK. I'll be focusing on some squats and lunges to sharpen the leg strength and stretch heading into the race. I'll do some extended track work on Saturday (idea from gruecd's article link) and see how the achilles holds up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who else is up - gruecd ...Darrin?
Yep. Sunday forecast for Minneapolis calling for T-showers with a high temp of 72 and a low of 64.At least my race starts bright and early at 7 AM, so I should be done shortly after 8:00. While I'd certainly prefer temps in the 40s (like last year), I guess 60s aren't too bad.

I just feel sorry for Rusty and the other marathoners in Chicago. I'm sure you'll hear this a million times over the next couple of days, but remember to STAY HYDRATED!

Who else is up - gruecd ...Darrin?
Yep, 5K tomorrow morning. Like Steve said, it is going to be hot. Whoever heard of a daily low of 78 in October. Fricken weather. I have an easy day at work with a meeting taking up the whole afternoon, so I should be able to rest quite a bit more than normal. Not that I really work all that hard :mellow: . Wednesday I finished up the training week with a 3.15 mile run in 28:28, for a total of 27+ miles. The most I have run in a month or so. I will post a race report sometime Saturday. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Ptts'd away my Wed/Thu run. :shrug: I'll just skip it and move on to Saturday's "long" run (5k lol).

73/53 and partly cloudy for San Jose on raceday. Could be better, but I'll take it.

If Rusty will provide his name, we can track him during the race. :popcorn: :D 15k, half, 35k, and finish splits can be sent to a pager, text message, or email.

Cool! I just checked the San Jose half website, to see if there was a similar split-tracking dealie (see previous post), and I found out that 230 of us who'll be attaining Rockstar status will receive gold number bibs! :lmao: Nice of them to recognize us. :goodposting:

I don't see a split-tracking dealie. :shrug:

Just a little surprised this thread is so popular.I keep saying I'm gonna get back into running, but I dunno. I get some very debilitating shin splints when I run. Maybe I need to get some orthotics or something.
get your gait analyzed at a running store. these guys suggested i do it and my legs/feet went from racked with pain to not even noticing that i ran in no time.

Just a little surprised this thread is so popular.I keep saying I'm gonna get back into running, but I dunno. I get some very debilitating shin splints when I run. Maybe I need to get some orthotics or something.
Well if you read the 90 pages you'll notice the subject matter is not quite as focused as the title suggests!
I don't see myself doing that. Cliffs Notes?

get your gait analyzed at a running store. these guys suggested i do it and my legs/feet went from racked with pain to not even noticing that i ran in no time.
Did they change your running style or suggest a type of shoe?

they put me on a treadmill for 4 minutes. videotaped my gait. i was rolling my feet inward. it was causing some serious stress on my legs and feet. was kinda cool to watch myself running. the inward roll was pretty serious and explained the soreness.they had me try on several pairs of shoes that were designed to balance my step. i jogged around the parking lot a bit on each and settled on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline's. they've been good to me so far. :mellow:

I saw a nice bumper sticker today for you bikers to give your wives/girlfriends...

"Stay in shape, ride a biker"

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Well if you read the 90 pages you'll notice the subject matter is not quite as focused as the title suggests!
Biking, running (5K to Marathon), Triathlon, good (or at least well intentioned) advice. That sort of thing :pokey:

Biking, running (5K to Marathon), Triathlon, good (or at least well intentioned) advice. That sort of thing :yes:
Don't forget the page and a half of baby talk.

Biking, running (5K to Marathon), Triathlon, good (or at least well intentioned) advice. That sort of thing :thumbup:
Or the posts by people like me getting all excited about running for 3 minutes in a row without passing out.. :lmao:

Sid said:
Darrinll40 said:
Biking, running (5K to Marathon), Triathlon, good (or at least well intentioned) advice. That sort of thing :goodposting:
Or the posts by people like me getting all excited about running for 3 minutes in a row without passing out.. :)
Oh... Oh... or the :thumbup: ing and whining like a little baby... :bye:But seriously- the monarch notes version is: a bunch of guys of extremely varying levels (from running 3 minutes to running 50miles... from trying to break 10:00/miles to qualifying for the Boston Marathon) getting/giving advice/inspiration from each other.As a guy with a history of endurance training/racing who has been out of things for a year- this thread has singlehandedly reinvigorated my own training and kept me honest about it... even if it can't help me from :eek: ing or whining like a little baby.

Yet another Race report.

Finished another 5K race this morning in 24:43, 17 seconds better than my PB. Finished 3rd in age group and brought home more hardware. Also finished 37th of 98.

Link to results.

Later today I will be posting pictures on kine and will link them for anyone wishing to see yet another picture of me running. :lmao:

Mile 1 - 7:45

Mile 2 - 7:59

Mile 3 - 8:10

Last .1 - :49 = 8:10 pace

Total race pace was 7:59. I finally beat an 8 minute pace. :lmao:

I was able to hold my pace better throughout the race this time. Only one more 5K on Nov 3 before the 10 miler and half.

So now that I've done my first race and am getting pretty hooked (I'm going to be running to my daughter's soccer practice later this morning!), it's time to start thinking hardware. Not the kind Darrin keeps bringing home from races, but stuff to help my training. Seems there are options from the iPod/Nike thing to heart rate monitors to Garmins and probably other stuff I don't even know about.

The iPod thing sounded interesting, and I went and talked to a dude at Niketown this week, but he was telling me that using them without their special shoes was a hit-or-miss proposition, and even though I already run in Nikes I don't necessarily want to be married to them. And it only gives pace and distance, I believe, nothing with heart rate obviously.

I really don't know anything about heart rate monitors, seems like there are a variety out there. Can someone edumacate me on these? Of course there is no distance tracking aspect of these, I assume, so I'd have to continue to use mapmyrun.com for that part, which isn't bad unless I start running more trails.

As for the Garmin-type systems, my understanding is that it'll track everything - heart rate, distance, pace, etc. But we're talking some bucks for these, not sure if I should jump all the way to that as a starting point.

Yet another Race report.

Finished another 5K race this morning in 24:43, 17 seconds better than my PB. Finished 3rd in age group and brought home more hardware. Also finished 37th of 98.

Link to results.

Later today I will be posting pictures on kine and will link them for anyone wishing to see yet another picture of me running. :censored:

Mile 1 - 7:45

Mile 2 - 7:59

Mile 3 - 8:10

Last .1 - :49 = 8:10 pace

Total race pace was 7:59. I finally beat an 8 minute pace. :excited:

I was able to hold my pace better throughout the race this time. Only one more 5K on Nov 3 before the 10 miler and half.
Frankly, I have doubts about that last 0.1, as I did it in under 39 seconds (6min pace).I won my age group but it was a bit of a hollow victory as I was the only one in it! Still my time of 25:06 is a PR :jawdrop:

So now that I've done my first race and am getting pretty hooked (I'm going to be running to my daughter's soccer practice later this morning!), it's time to start thinking hardware. Not the kind Darrin keeps bringing home from races, but stuff to help my training. Seems there are options from the iPod/Nike thing to heart rate monitors to Garmins and probably other stuff I don't even know about.The iPod thing sounded interesting, and I went and talked to a dude at Niketown this week, but he was telling me that using them without their special shoes was a hit-or-miss proposition, and even though I already run in Nikes I don't necessarily want to be married to them. And it only gives pace and distance, I believe, nothing with heart rate obviously.I really don't know anything about heart rate monitors, seems like there are a variety out there. Can someone edumacate me on these? Of course there is no distance tracking aspect of these, I assume, so I'd have to continue to use mapmyrun.com for that part, which isn't bad unless I start running more trails.As for the Garmin-type systems, my understanding is that it'll track everything - heart rate, distance, pace, etc. But we're talking some bucks for these, not sure if I should jump all the way to that as a starting point.
Nice pics all the way around! The only hardware I've used is a heart-rate monitor, but even there, you can use perceived exertion as a gauge. Others will give you their Garmin sales pitch, though. :goodposting: Darrin and Steve - great races!! I love hearing of your (and others) successes!I did my only run of the week this morning. 10 miles total, with 5 miles at hard tempos. I did a ladder of a hard 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 - mile - mile - 3/4 - 1/2 - 1/4 with an easy quarter mile between each. The pace varied from 6:00/mile on the quarters (so 1:30) up to 6:45 for the second mile. It was a very good, challenging workout. The achilles held up very well and feels OK. I'll see about tomorrow, though ...Rusty is SO going to :finger: me next week. The Chicago weather is hot and humid. Lows of 70 - highs into the high 80s with lots of sun and lots of humidity (after my run, I could wring sweat out of my socks). I assured him it wouldn't be that bad, but I fear it will be. Sorry in advance, Rusty!

they put me on a treadmill for 4 minutes. videotaped my gait. i was rolling my feet inward. it was causing some serious stress on my legs and feet. was kinda cool to watch myself running. the inward roll was pretty serious and explained the soreness.they had me try on several pairs of shoes that were designed to balance my step. i jogged around the parking lot a bit on each and settled on a pair of Brooks Adrenaline's. they've been good to me so far. :wub:
KRS: 22nd most-popular thread, and climbing. :thumbup: Search this thread for "shin splints", and find my posts to read about my trials and tribulations with 'em. I found a sports physio-psycho-chiro-something sadist doctor who uses ART (Active Release Technique; sort of a deep tissue massage) combined with orthotics and I haven't had a whisper of shin problems in two years. :pickle: Doc is currently (pretty much done) treating me for an I-T Band problem (I-T = that wad of muscle/tendon from the outside of the knee to the hip). Do get analyzed for shoes, and if you still have problems with your shins (or anything else), try to find an ART doc.Welcome to the thread! You'll find we're quite accepting of all levels of ability here. You can barely walk to the mailbox without getting winded? Not a problem, we'll be happy to offer tips and support, and soon you'll be running marathons like an old pro! :lol: Please don't feel intimidated by anyone here. Instead, draw inspiration. Sure, there's a little bragging going on, but what the heck, we've earned it, one stride at a time. Concerned that you're overweight and can't handle it? Talk to Darrin, he's a big model (well, not so big anymore) of inspiration for trimming down. Just get yourself geared up (shoes), start small (there's a couch-to-5k training plan here somewhere), and you'll do fine!

Furley: I wear Adrenalines as well. :thumbup: Initially had the 5's, upgraded to 6's this past January (got 'em on clearance, instead of making the jump to the 7's).

5k this morning, in 26:15 (27:05 last Monday). One week to go!

So now that I've done my first race and am getting pretty hooked (I'm going to be running to my daughter's soccer practice later this morning!), it's time to start thinking hardware. Not the kind Darrin keeps bringing home from races, but stuff to help my training. Seems there are options from the iPod/Nike thing to heart rate monitors to Garmins and probably other stuff I don't even know about.

The iPod thing sounded interesting, and I went and talked to a dude at Niketown this week, but he was telling me that using them without their special shoes was a hit-or-miss proposition, and even though I already run in Nikes I don't necessarily want to be married to them. And it only gives pace and distance, I believe, nothing with heart rate obviously.

I really don't know anything about heart rate monitors, seems like there are a variety out there. Can someone edumacate me on these? Of course there is no distance tracking aspect of these, I assume, so I'd have to continue to use mapmyrun.com for that part, which isn't bad unless I start running more trails.

As for the Garmin-type systems, my understanding is that it'll track everything - heart rate, distance, pace, etc. But we're talking some bucks for these, not sure if I should jump all the way to that as a starting point.
I've used the Garmin201 (no HR) and the Polar 625x (shmancy HR/Bike/distance monitor, w/foot pod). I think I got accustomed to gauging my HR w/out the monitor (after using the HR readings for a while), and stopped using that feature on the Polar. I noticed while I was using the HR, I became a little too much of a slave to it, instead of just running. But I guess it was good info to get.

The Garmin201 didn't work in Manhattan unless the earth, moon and stars aligned just so (due to buildings/bridges etc blocking the satellites), also didn't work on Mt Tam due to the trees :thumbup: . Somebody (Righetti?) uses a more recent model and says it works well here in NYC- and I'm guessing in forested areas too... and if I'm not mistaken is also a HR monitor too?

I liked using the footpod with the Polar for speed/distance, but with the advent of MapMyRun.com, I don't really have any major need to know my pace all the time- I just figure out where my mile splits are ahead of time and punch the watch when I pass them. Yeah- the footpod attaches to your shoe, you set it up once- running a set distance, and it counts your strides (IIRC) and uses that for your future runs. For HR, there are much cheaper versions out there that work just fine for keeping track of the basics.

That's my experience with them... pretty sure this isn't going to help much.

Serious question, not critique- what do you imagine getting from a fancier watch or HR monitor?

Sid said:
Darrinll40 said:
Biking, running (5K to Marathon), Triathlon, good (or at least well intentioned) advice. That sort of thing :thumbup:
Or the posts by people like me getting all excited about running for 3 minutes in a row without passing out.. :)
:lmao: that's so far in the rear window right now that i'm surprised you remember it. :yes:

Great job Steve and Darrin!! Congrats on the PR, Darrin!

On my front- I'm shutting it down until I talk to my doc and PT next week. :sad:

Ran another 4.5 miles at Town Lake again today. Felt good, but I think pace is a real problem. Seems like I'm running backward by the time I get to the end.

Ran another 4.5 miles at Town Lake again today. Felt good, but I think pace is a real problem. Seems like I'm running backward by the time I get to the end.
Try some out and backs. 4m is probably taking you at least 30min right? Run out from your starting point for 7min, make a mental note of where you are, turn around and head back to your starting point in the same 7min, ideally without having to speed up or slow down as the time approaches to get there. When you get back to the starting area, head back the way you came for another 7min and try to get at least as far as you did previously. Rinse, repeat.7min x 2 out and backs is obviously 28min, 3@42min etc. Adjust the out time to fit your workout. One of these workouts every week or two and the consistency of your pace will improve a ton. I love this workout. :deadhorse:

Try some out and backs. 4m is probably taking you at least 30min right? Run out from your starting point for 7min, make a mental note of where you are, turn around and head back to your starting point in the same 7min, ideally without having to speed up or slow down as the time approaches to get there. When you get back to the starting area, head back the way you came for another 7min and try to get at least as far as you did previously. Rinse, repeat.7min x 2 out and backs is obviously 28min, 3@42min etc. Adjust the out time to fit your workout. One of these workouts every week or two and the consistency of your pace will improve a ton. I love this workout. :homer:
:deadhorse:

Got the relevant pics up from the race this morning. 385 is for you guys. My wife took all the pics imagine her chagrin when I showed her that picture.

Link

Edited to fix link.

So now that I've done my first race and am getting pretty hooked (I'm going to be running to my daughter's soccer practice later this morning!), it's time to start thinking hardware. Not the kind Darrin keeps bringing home from races, but stuff to help my training. Seems there are options from the iPod/Nike thing to heart rate monitors to Garmins and probably other stuff I don't even know about.The iPod thing sounded interesting, and I went and talked to a dude at Niketown this week, but he was telling me that using them without their special shoes was a hit-or-miss proposition, and even though I already run in Nikes I don't necessarily want to be married to them. And it only gives pace and distance, I believe, nothing with heart rate obviously.I really don't know anything about heart rate monitors, seems like there are a variety out there. Can someone edumacate me on these? Of course there is no distance tracking aspect of these, I assume, so I'd have to continue to use mapmyrun.com for that part, which isn't bad unless I start running more trails.As for the Garmin-type systems, my understanding is that it'll track everything - heart rate, distance, pace, etc. But we're talking some bucks for these, not sure if I should jump all the way to that as a starting point.
I've used the Garmin201 (no HR) and the Polar 625x (shmancy HR/Bike/distance monitor, w/foot pod).
I love the Garmin 201 and have bought 2 more reconditioned ones off eBay for my wife & brother-in-law. You can get one for less $ and the one I purchased come with a 1 yr warranty. Like was stated, you gotta be able to keep linked up with the sattelites. This will be a problem for me in two weeks when I run the Freep 1/2 marathon as we come back under the Detroit River through the tunnel>

64 miles today in 2:55 and some change. 21.9 average with no stops. Hung with the lead group and even led at times for 60 miles. Probably could have hung with them if I hadn't of wasted energy pulling so much. Knew it was a bad idea at the time, but I was having fun.

Now on to the cool part of the story. There was one gal in this group that had one of those bodies that you dream of riding behind (pun intended). She was wearing the short spandex shorts that extended about 4" down, no pad, left side pocket w/ zipper, black zipper pull about 5/16" long that zipped right to left, slight fabric scuffing, decent thread count mat'l...but I disgress. Around mile 40 some dofus dropped a water bottle and didn't say anything...she hit it flush and her a two others came to a halt. I had seen it and dodged it. I checked up, we organized and I pulled them back to the main field. We chatted a little bit once we caught up. At the food and drink table at the finish she was standing alone so I figured what the hell, I haven't been shot down or blown off today and it was already approaching noon. We hit it off really well and talk for about a half an hour. She runs 18:30 5ks and is a local college student. :lmao: Well she invited me to ride with her after her next meet. :lmao: :own3d: Well the old man has still got it...at least for short spurts. :lmao:

Paging Dr Tri-man, et al. Is there such thing as a mild case of plantar faschitis (sp?)? Had a weird week. Ran that goofy scramble thing last weekend with a lot of starting and stopping and very little stretching. Then was traveling for work last week and did not get a run in until yesterday, a speedy 4 miler in just over 32 minutes. The back of my heel just up the back part of the foot feels “funny” and tight. Looked a little on-line and it appears I should have more pain if it was the real deal. I have a planned 8 mile run at my proposed pace for the upcoming ½ in two weeks and just plan on stretching that part a bit more after warm up and icing after. I am not all that worried, but do find myself taking constant physical inventory as I approach the big race day.

64 miles today in 2:55 and some change. 21.9 average with no stops. Hung with the lead group and even led at times for 60 miles. Probably could have hung with them if I hadn't of wasted energy pulling so much. Knew it was a bad idea at the time, but I was having fun.

Now on to the cool part of the story. There was one gal in this group that had one of those bodies that you dream of riding behind (pun intended). She was wearing the short spandex shorts that extended about 4" down, no pad, left side pocket w/ zipper, black zipper pull about 5/16" long that zipped right to left, slight fabric scuffing, decent thread count mat'l...but I disgress. Around mile 40 some dofus dropped a water bottle and didn't say anything...she hit it flush and her a two others came to a halt. I had seen it and dodged it. I checked up, we organized and I pulled them back to the main field. We chatted a little bit once we caught up. At the food and drink table at the finish she was standing alone so I figured what the hell, I haven't been shot down or blown off today and it was already approaching noon. We hit it off really well and talk for about a half an hour. She runs 18:30 5ks and is a local college student. :lmao: Well she invited me to ride with her after her next meet. :lmao: :own3d: Well the old man has still got it...at least for short spurts. :lmao:
[beavis] heh. heh-heh-heh. heh-heh. [/butthead]Great job on the 100k!- You wanted to get in under 3:00, didn't you? Kinda killed that one...

Paging Dr Tri-man, et al. Is there such thing as a mild case of plantar faschitis (sp?)? Had a weird week. Ran that goofy scramble thing last weekend with a lot of starting and stopping and very little stretching. Then was traveling for work last week and did not get a run in until yesterday, a speedy 4 miler in just over 32 minutes. The back of my heel just up the back part of the foot feels “funny” and tight. Looked a little on-line and it appears I should have more pain if it was the real deal. I have a planned 8 mile run at my proposed pace for the upcoming ½ in two weeks and just plan on stretching that part a bit more after warm up and icing after. I am not all that worried, but do find myself taking constant physical inventory as I approach the big race day.
Plantar fascitis runs underneath the foot, and can be stressed by overuse. Your issue mirrors mine, which would most likely be the achilles tendon running from the bottom of the heel up to the calf muscle. It, too, can be damaged by overuse. The answer, as I've explored it, is rest. It's not like a muscle that you can just stretch out before the run. Be careful with the planned run. You can get through this, and then your big race, but you might need to shut things down for a bit after that (as I plan to do in two weeks!). I find the tendon loosens up after I run a bit, which is encouraging. But that's playing with fire to push it too long. That said, I've been dealing with this since about May. You're just getting some pain there, so a couple of weeks shouldn't cause a lot of problems. Good luck with it.

El Floppo said:

I've used the Garmin201 (no HR) and the Polar 625x (shmancy HR/Bike/distance monitor, w/foot pod). I think I got accustomed to gauging my HR w/out the monitor (after using the HR readings for a while), and stopped using that feature on the Polar. I noticed while I was using the HR, I became a little too much of a slave to it, instead of just running. But I guess it was good info to get.

The Garmin201 didn't work in Manhattan unless the earth, moon and stars aligned just so (due to buildings/bridges etc blocking the satellites), also didn't work on Mt Tam due to the trees :headbang: . Somebody (Righetti?) uses a more recent model and says it works well here in NYC- and I'm guessing in forested areas too... and if I'm not mistaken is also a HR monitor too?

I liked using the footpod with the Polar for speed/distance, but with the advent of MapMyRun.com, I don't really have any major need to know my pace all the time- I just figure out where my mile splits are ahead of time and punch the watch when I pass them. Yeah- the footpod attaches to your shoe, you set it up once- running a set distance, and it counts your strides (IIRC) and uses that for your future runs. For HR, there are much cheaper versions out there that work just fine for keeping track of the basics.

That's my experience with them... pretty sure this isn't going to help much.

Serious question, not critique- what do you imagine getting from a fancier watch or HR monitor?
I have the Garmin 205 and use a heart monitor from Polar... combination has been great for me to keep my tempo right and my HR under control as I prepare for the 2nd race (and first marathon) of my life.. the 205 has been great and it works in NYC around most big buildings, I might fall out of range for 30 seconds, but it seems to be able to track me and compute what distance I ran in that time.. I will give it a big :pickle: I have a marthon thread which i've kept as a psuedo blog, so that I can easily go back to it to see my progression etc.

basically have done about 14 weeks of marathon training so far.. did two 20 milers (first one in 3:30, second in 3:10) and although I'm going in with the "just want to finish" mentality and I obviously would like to hover around 4 hours..

humidity has been the biggest hurdle so far.. on days its humid (like today), I can't keep my HR down, it just flies away from me, on very dry days I can stay at 65% the entire time and hardly break a sweat. my 70% HR is at 145 and I do most of my weekday runs below that for an average.. My long runs hover around 150 and my tempo runs might get me to an AHR of 154.. It's crazy but I'm starting to learn my own body so well now that I know when my HR is above 145 before I look, even if it is 147 or 148..

one thing for sure, even if the marathon turns into a disaster b/c of unforseen circumstances, the training has been great, haven't missed a day of running yet, lost about 10 pounds and have never felt better.

did 15 miles this morning and hung out all day, which after my half marathon last spring, I could never have imagined..

El Floppo said:
Mapmyrun is a little limited for me as I rarely am running on roads, usually on bike paths or up on trails, and some of them don't show up very well. So the Garmin-type device has appeal there to track distance. As for HR, as I've studied up a bit on training, it seems many suggest that as the best indicator of effort level and a great tool to use to differentiate the pace on different types or runs (long, endurance, speed, etc). I can see what Righetti and some others posted that once you use one for awhile you get in tune with your body, but you need that initial data to base that on.I don't know, just seems like those things would be helpful as I get more serious about this. Maybe I should just shut the hell up and keep running. Today I did just that, 5.4 mile run to my daughter's soccer practice at a 10:00 pace.

I ran 9 miles this morning in 1:31:59, a 10:13 pace. I started out at about an 11 min pace and sped up at around the 4 mile mark. I wanted to have a nice easy run after competing yesterday.

I totaled 28.08 miles this week, a ta pace of 9:40. Overall a pretty good week.

My goal for the 10 miler on Thanksgiving is to beat a 10 minute pace.

If anyone is any good at analyzing running style when the runner is coming right at you, I could use the advise.

Video Link

TIA

I hope everyone had as good a weekend as I had. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread