What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Barack Obama FBG campaign headquarters *** (1 Viewer)

Two things in response to posts above:(1) On Hillary's strategy, or lack thereof. I agree, but I think what it really highlights is how AWESOME a campaign Obama has run. Think about what he is doing - he is going toe to toe with the most famous name in the Democratic party, and beating her, without her making any glaring mistakes at all. It is really unbelievable what we are witnessing. They left no state uncontested, no stone unturned, have fought for every single delegate, and it has paid off.
Yes its quite remarkable I think. Also note that right now its down to Hillary, Obama, and McCain. 3 senators. A senator hasn't won the White House since JFK, and now its already a lock.
Not to mention two of them are minorities. Gonna be a big deal, no matter what this year. Probably, one of the most memorable elections in our lifetimes, and maybe a monumental one in the history of the US.
:blackdot:

Obama better sew up the nomination before Pennsylvania because the govenor says he will not get carry that state:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08043/856727-153.stm

Gov. 'Blunt Talk' Rendell (and other topics)

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

By Tony Norman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

So many topics, so little space:

Gov. Ed "Don't Call Me 'Fast Eddie' " Rendell met with the editorial board of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette last week to talk about his latest budget. But before turning the meeting over to his number-crunchers, our voluble governor weighed in on the primary fight between Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama and what the Illinois senator could expect from the good people of Pennsylvania at the polls:

"You've got conservative whites here, and I think there are some whites who are probably not ready to vote for an African-American candidate," he said bluntly. Our eyes only met briefly, perhaps because the governor wanted to spare the only black guy in the room from feeling self-conscious for backing an obvious loser. "I believe, looking at the returns in my election, that had Lynn Swann [2006 Republican gubernatorial candidate] been the identical candidate that he was --well-spoken [note: Mr. Rendell did not call the brother "articulate"], charismatic, good-looking -- but white instead of black, instead of winning by 22 points, I would have won by 17 or so."

I know I have a habit of sometimes zoning out in these meetings, but it sounded to me like Mr. Rendell had unilaterally declared Pennsylvania to be Alabama circa 1963. Was he suggesting that Pennsylvanians are uniquely racist in ways that folks in the states Mr. Obama has won so far aren't? By the way, Mr. Obama won Alabama on Super Tuesday, thank you very much!

What accounts for Mr. Rendell's overweening confidence that, no matter what, he'll always find a way to overcome the odds by at least 17 points even in a racist commonwealth, but that Mr. Obama can't?

If Mr. Rendell, a Clinton backer, is right about Pennsylvania's racial attitudes, maybe we should get a new state slogan. How about: "You've got a friend with a pointy white hood in Pennsylvania"?

Will they vote for a woman or will the dems cross party lines to avoid voting for either of them?
um... wow
So...dumb....Embarrassing quite frankly. I hope he's proved wrong here. Comparing Obama's chances as President to Swann's (no political experience mind you) as a republican governor is laughable. Republicans weren't very popular across the board going into that election - Rendell was a shoe-in to be re-elected as the state usually goes blue anyway (Tom Ridge aside).

I hadn't realized that both he and the new mayor of Philadelphia (black mind you) endorsed Hillary months ago either. Curious to see if that changes at all with the current momentum.

Carville's famous quote is that Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in between.
Bingo, Rendell just calls it like it is.
As an aside: I don't think that quote is inaccurate at all. Pittsburgh is blue collar (Hillary) but Philadelphia will come out for Obama. As another poster already mentioned - Obama WON Alabama this year.
Does the middle of PA have a significant black population? Alabama does for sure, this might be where the analogy breaks down.

Carville's famous quote is that Pennsylvania is Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Alabama in between.
As an aside: I don't think that quote is inaccurate at all. Pittsburgh is blue collar (Hillary) but Philadelphia will come out for Obama. As another poster already mentioned - Obama WON Alabama this year.
Does the middle of PA have a significant black population? Alabama does for sure, this might be where the analogy breaks down.
No, they don't. It's rural.

CNN is shredding the Hillary campaign right now.

Early numbers look very good for Obama, very strong white voter support in both MD and VA. Hillary camp trying to lower expectations for tonight, if they could get any lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is what happened in Alabama. Most of Alabama's white population is Republican. For the Democrats who were white, the exit polls showed Clinton 72% to Obama's 25%. For Democratic voters who were black, Obama had 84% to Clinton's 15%. I've been to the middle of PA several times, very small black population there. Instead of black, white, etc. it's more Lithuanian, Italian, Polish, etc.

Wasn't Clinton leading in VA up until recently? If so, this is huge.
I'm not sure about the polls, but most people have thought Obama would win. It was one of two states though, along with Maine, where the Clinton people thought she could compete. It looks like she didn't come close to competing.

And thank you, adonis and others for all the excellent info in this thread. It is the best I have found and I have lead several others to FBG (good people, I assure you) just for the Obama thread. First time I have ever liked BO. :goodposting:
FBG >> democraticunderground.com

And thank you, adonis and others for all the excellent info in this thread. It is the best I have found and I have lead several others to FBG (good people, I assure you) just for the Obama thread. First time I have ever liked BO. :goodposting:
Just don't ask adonis for specific examples of Obama working with the other side. I asked him for some, but he never gave me any examples

Actually I think the fact he has a Islamic name will help more than hurt especially in dealing with the middle east issues. Should give him much more credibility on that alone. We have spent years making enemies and alot of times we were right in what we did - But I think now is the time to start reaching out and making alies instead of enemies.
Come on. You don't actually believe this, do you?
A reader of Andrew Sullivan from Israel writes him and says:
Recently I was with an Indian-American friend of mine in the Old City of Jerusalem, eating at a falafel joint run by a Muslim Palestinian in the Christian Quarter. He was a very kind man, speaking to us passionately about how all Palestinians need to stick together, regardless of religion. This was in January, two days before Bush came to Israel. Security was very tight. We talked about Bush for a moment (he said he might have to close his restaurant for a day or two because of security surrounding the visit), and then talk suddenly shifted. "You might have a new one in charge." he said, "Obama!" He seemed fairly enthusiastic, but when I told him that Obama's full name was Barack Hussein Obama, the man's face lit up. He couldn't believe it and starting shouting ecstatically to one of his employees, "Barack Hussein Obama!" I told him that Obama wasn't a Muslim but had lived in Indonesia. In any case, this didn't matter to the man. He was so excited that a man with this name might be president of the United States. It was clear that he would tell many people he knew about Obama's name and that to them, this means something important and even profound.

I am cautiously optimistic at this point -really starting to beleive that he's going to pull it off. Go Obama!

Orange Crush said:
Actually I think the fact he has a Islamic name will help more than hurt especially in dealing with the middle east issues. Should give him much more credibility on that alone. We have spent years making enemies and alot of times we were right in what we did - But I think now is the time to start reaching out and making alies instead of enemies.
Come on. You don't actually believe this, do you?
A reader of Andrew Sullivan from Israel writes him and says:
Recently I was with an Indian-American friend of mine in the Old City of Jerusalem, eating at a falafel joint run by a Muslim Palestinian in the Christian Quarter. He was a very kind man, speaking to us passionately about how all Palestinians need to stick together, regardless of religion. This was in January, two days before Bush came to Israel. Security was very tight. We talked about Bush for a moment (he said he might have to close his restaurant for a day or two because of security surrounding the visit), and then talk suddenly shifted. "You might have a new one in charge." he said, "Obama!" He seemed fairly enthusiastic, but when I told him that Obama's full name was Barack Hussein Obama, the man's face lit up. He couldn't believe it and starting shouting ecstatically to one of his employees, "Barack Hussein Obama!" I told him that Obama wasn't a Muslim but had lived in Indonesia. In any case, this didn't matter to the man. He was so excited that a man with this name might be president of the United States. It was clear that he would tell many people he knew about Obama's name and that to them, this means something important and even profound.
Clearly the man's middle name will have great sway with Middle East leaders :confused:

My problem with Obama is the same thing that other people like about him:he brings new voters into the electorate.

We are constantly told this is a good thing- for decades every announcer on TV and radio have urged new people to vote ("Rock the vote") and everyone seems excited that there's much more people voting in this election.

Not me. I am very interested in politics, but I know that most people don't share that interest. Therefore, I think it can be safely said that the less people that vote in this country, the better off we're doing. It's only in times of crisis and discontent that lots of new people vote. I don't like living in crisis; therefore, this trend disturbs me.

Worse, I have serious doubts that these new energized voters are very well informed on the issues. That means politicians will be urged to seek simplistic solutions to make the masses happy (for instance, pulling the troops out of Iraq and some form of universal health care- both staple positions of Obama's). Usually these simplistic solutions are worse than the problems. That's why I don't like populists in general because they usually end up pandering too much. Obama is a populist.

Does anyone share these concerns?

snitwitch said:
RedRaiders said:
BuddyKnuckles said:
Alan Smithee said:
Just to clarify...then i'll move on and enjoy the rout tonight :confused: Anyway, i suspect rendells quote was taken from the context of a broader speech or interview. And i dont think he's saying that PA is a racist state. Simply that there is a small minority (5% according to the quote) that will vote on race alone. Given the close race expected between HC and BO, i think he's saying that this 5% could make the difference.To live in PA is to know Rendell. PA may or may not be "Alabama in the middle", but Rendell is usually spot on with his social commentary

My problem with Obama is the same thing that other people like about him:he brings new voters into the electorate.We are constantly told this is a good thing- for decades every announcer on TV and radio have urged new people to vote ("Rock the vote") and everyone seems excited that there's much more people voting in this election.Not me. I am very interested in politics, but I know that most people don't share that interest. Therefore, I think it can be safely said that the less people that vote in this country, the better off we're doing. It's only in times of crisis and discontent that lots of new people vote. I don't like living in crisis; therefore, this trend disturbs me.Worse, I have serious doubts that these new energized voters are very well informed on the issues. That means politicians will be urged to seek simplistic solutions to make the masses happy (for instance, pulling the troops out of Iraq and some form of universal health care- both staple positions of Obama's). Usually these simplistic solutions are worse than the problems. That's why I don't like populists in general because they usually end up pandering too much. Obama is a populist.Does anyone share these concerns?
No.

My problem with Obama is the same thing that other people like about him:he brings new voters into the electorate.We are constantly told this is a good thing- for decades every announcer on TV and radio have urged new people to vote ("Rock the vote") and everyone seems excited that there's much more people voting in this election.Not me. I am very interested in politics, but I know that most people don't share that interest. Therefore, I think it can be safely said that the less people that vote in this country, the better off we're doing. It's only in times of crisis and discontent that lots of new people vote. I don't like living in crisis; therefore, this trend disturbs me.Worse, I have serious doubts that these new energized voters are very well informed on the issues. That means politicians will be urged to seek simplistic solutions to make the masses happy (for instance, pulling the troops out of Iraq and some form of universal health care- both staple positions of Obama's). Usually these simplistic solutions are worse than the problems. That's why I don't like populists in general because they usually end up pandering too much. Obama is a populist.Does anyone share these concerns?
No.
Good, then I'll stand proudly alone. (But I suspect you're wrong.)

To be honest, that just sounds like a statement from someone who is afraid of losing their current position of power or authority due to a upswell of ground level enthusiasm and subsequent change.

No.
Understandable but a democracy gives mostly everyone the right to vote. That means the right to throw their vote away regradless of my opinion on their stances. I would love for 100% turnout even if it means I don't get what I want.

To be honest, that just sounds like a statement from someone who is afraid of losing their current position of power or authority due to a upswell of ground level enthusiasm and subsequent change.
No, I can't stand Bush. I just don't like populist solutions. I get scared of non-establishment movements, because they're usually not rational. Adolf Hitler rose to power "due to an upswell of ground level enthusiasm and subsequent change", to use your words. I am NOT comparing Obama to Hitler. But I'm disturbed that he has seemingly come from nowhere, with little experience, and is all things to all people.

My problem with Obama is the same thing that other people like about him:he brings new voters into the electorate.

We are constantly told this is a good thing- for decades every announcer on TV and radio have urged new people to vote ("Rock the vote") and everyone seems excited that there's much more people voting in this election.

Not me. I am very interested in politics, but I know that most people don't share that interest. Therefore, I think it can be safely said that the less people that vote in this country, the better off we're doing. It's only in times of crisis and discontent that lots of new people vote. I don't like living in crisis; therefore, this trend disturbs me.

Worse, I have serious doubts that these new energized voters are very well informed on the issues. That means politicians will be urged to seek simplistic solutions to make the masses happy (for instance, pulling the troops out of Iraq and some form of universal health care- both staple positions of Obama's). Usually these simplistic solutions are worse than the problems. That's why I don't like populists in general because they usually end up pandering too much. Obama is a populist.

Does anyone share these concerns?
No, I can't stand Bush. I just don't like populist solutions. I get scared of non-establishment movements, because they're usually not rational. Adolf Hitler rose to power "due to an upswell of ground level enthusiasm and subsequent change", to use your words. I am NOT comparing Obama to Hitler. But I'm disturbed that he has seemingly come from nowhere, with little experience, and is all things to all people.
Oh.

Obama isn't all things to all people. He is what he is. Iit just so happens that what he is appeals to a broad cross-section of people.

No.
To elaborate, I think the elites have done a horrible job of running things for the last 8 years. I don't see how a change in course could possibly be any worse. I also think that the ideas that you're afraid of (leaving Iraq, universal health care) are on balance the right thing to do.Edit: and I don't agree that Obama is a populist. Edwards was running as a populist. Obama is a little different.

No.
To elaborate, I think the elites have done a horrible job of running things for the last 8 years. I don't see how a change in course could possibly be any worse. I also think that the ideas that you're afraid of (leaving Iraq, universal health care) are on balance the right thing to do.Edit: and I don't agree that Obama is a populist. Edwards was running as a populist. Obama is a little different.
Obama is supported by a lot of elites. They are just different elites.

Obama down 5 delegates now. Couple questions...

1) Are they adding Virginia delegates in already or are these Super-Delegates that have just "voted".

2) Is tonight the last night that Obama trails in delegates?

No.
Agreed. I'm talking about the NY times/Washington post/NBC/CBS media establishment elites and the politicians they feed off of.

Obama down 5 delegates now. Couple questions...1) Are they adding Virginia delegates in already or are these Super-Delegates that have just "voted".2) Is tonight the last night that Obama trails in delegates?
They are adding Virginia I believe.I think a lot of people are forgetting how many delegates TX has. There is really no way to know who is going to come out on top until the end.

Just vote for him, Ham.

Obama down 5 delegates now. Couple questions...1) Are they adding Virginia delegates in already or are these Super-Delegates that have just "voted".2) Is tonight the last night that Obama trails in delegates?
They are adding Virginia I believe.I think a lot of people are forgetting how many delegates TX has. There is really no way to know who is going to come out on top until the end.
193, only 40 more than North Carolina.

There doesn't appear to be a thread tonight for the primaries, so I'm just going to state it here - Karl Rove is excellent in analyzing BOTH parties on Fox. He breaks things down in great detail, and gives an interesting viewpoint about why states are voting the way they are, and sums up the campaign races as well as anyone out there. Very interesting, and thumbs up.

193, only 40 more than North Carolina.
Right. Obama will probably be up by at least 300 by then.

RedRaiders said:
snitwitch said:
RedRaiders said:
BuddyKnuckles said:
Alan Smithee said:
No, they don't. It's rural.
So was Iowa.

No.
Smart ones.

Users who are viewing this thread