What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Barack Obama FBG campaign headquarters *** (1 Viewer)

Orange Crush said:
Actually I think the fact he has a Islamic name will help more than hurt especially in dealing with the middle east issues. Should give him much more credibility on that alone. We have spent years making enemies and alot of times we were right in what we did - But I think now is the time to start reaching out and making alies instead of enemies.
Come on. You don't actually believe this, do you?
A reader of Andrew Sullivan from Israel writes him and says:
Recently I was with an Indian-American friend of mine in the Old City of Jerusalem, eating at a falafel joint run by a Muslim Palestinian in the Christian Quarter. He was a very kind man, speaking to us passionately about how all Palestinians need to stick together, regardless of religion. This was in January, two days before Bush came to Israel. Security was very tight. We talked about Bush for a moment (he said he might have to close his restaurant for a day or two because of security surrounding the visit), and then talk suddenly shifted. "You might have a new one in charge." he said, "Obama!" He seemed fairly enthusiastic, but when I told him that Obama's full name was Barack Hussein Obama, the man's face lit up. He couldn't believe it and starting shouting ecstatically to one of his employees, "Barack Hussein Obama!" I told him that Obama wasn't a Muslim but had lived in Indonesia. In any case, this didn't matter to the man. He was so excited that a man with this name might be president of the United States. It was clear that he would tell many people he knew about Obama's name and that to them, this means something important and even profound.
Clearly the man's middle name will have great sway with Middle East leaders ;)
More examples: Another reader writes:

I'm an American living in Niger (insert gratuitous yellowcake joke here). These days I'm constantly finding myself in discussions with friends and colleagues about the US presidential primaries. Some of these conversations have gone in a similar direction as reported by your reader.

The overwhelming majority, however, involve some form of me trying to disabuse them of the notion that "Americans will never elect a black president". This argument comes in several varieties, ranging from the smug dismissals offered by most of my European colleagues to genuine incredulity among my Nigerien friends that an African (his father's from Kenya, to them that makes him African) could compete against a field of white candidates. Andrew, you don't know how badly I want Obama to prove them all wrong.
There are many Dish readers across the world. The rest of us would be interested in your takes on similar conversations. Different? The same? What should Americans know about what foreigners are saying about this election? Let me know your actual experiences and I'll post.The View From Yemen

10 Feb 2008 04:57 pm

I wonder how typical this is of the impact Obama is already having around the globe:

My wife and I are serving overseas in Yemen and I wanted to share a quick anecdote with you about Obama-buzz here in Sanaa. While getting my haircut several weeks ago, I was surprised when my barber Mohammed drifted from his usual aspersions about George Bush to suddenly inquire about Barack Obama. My Arabic is fairly limited, so it took me some time to understand that Mohammed and the other Yemeni patrons had seen Obama during an appearance with Oprah on Al-Jazeera. All of them agreed that of the people seeking to become President, Obama offered the only redemptive option for America.

After my haircut was nearing an end - a nearly 60 minute process - Mohammed said that "if a black man can become President, then maybe the story of America isn't a lie after all."

A few weeks later I was surprised at the end of a meeting with Yemeni government officials, when my hosts broke out into spontaneous praise for Obama and simultaneous incredulity that a man of color could win the American presidency. These two stories are just blips on the Yemeni consciousness, but it's worth noting that the advent of satellite television enables even the poorest families in the Middle East's poorest country to follow the US election. Those two stories stand out as the most dramatic to me, but they're not the only ones. Obama's mere candidacy has restored a fraction of the prestige and credibility we've lost - at least in Sanaa.
My own belief is a simple enough one - not enough for real progress, but a start:
It’s November 2008. A young Pakistani Muslim is watching television and sees that this man—Barack Hussein Obama—is the new face of America. In one simple image, America’s soft power has been ratcheted up not a notch, but a logarithm. A brown-skinned man whose father was an African, who grew up in Indonesia and Hawaii, who attended a majority-Muslim school as a boy, is now the alleged enemy. If you wanted the crudest but most effective weapon against the demonization of America that fuels Islamist ideology, Obama’s face gets close. It proves them wrong about what America is in ways no words can.

Mary Katerine Ham, conservative blogger, voted for Clinton today in Virginia:

How did it feel? Dangerous and kind of dirty. Just like a Clinton presidency!I figure McCain should take the state without too much trouble and maybe I can boost my gal Hillary past all the turmoil caused by her little crony alter-ego's mismanagement, so that Republicans can be spared a match-up with the most inspiring senator in American history of no particular accomplishments.I must admit I teared up a little bit at the thought of voting for a woman for president, so touched was I. Ha. Totally kidding. My vote was as cold and calculating as the candidate I voted for.....

Mary Katerine Ham, conservative blogger, voted for Clinton today in Virginia:

How did it feel? Dangerous and kind of dirty. Just like a Clinton presidency!I figure McCain should take the state without too much trouble and maybe I can boost my gal Hillary past all the turmoil caused by her little crony alter-ego's mismanagement, so that Republicans can be spared a match-up with the most inspiring senator in American history of no particular accomplishments.I must admit I teared up a little bit at the thought of voting for a woman for president, so touched was I. Ha. Totally kidding. My vote was as cold and calculating as the candidate I voted for.....
Looks like McCain will take Virginia, but is sure wasn't "without too much trouble."

There doesn't appear to be a thread tonight for the primaries, so I'm just going to state it here - Karl Rove is excellent in analyzing BOTH parties on Fox. He breaks things down in great detail, and gives an interesting viewpoint about why states are voting the way they are, and sums up the campaign races as well as anyone out there. Very interesting, and thumbs up.
Yes, he has done a good job.

Watching Hillary's speech from El Paso. It really doesn't come across well when you have to thank people reading from a list off a sheet of paper. "I'd like to thank" *looks down at sheet of paper* "my old and dear friend . . . "

Watching Hillary's speech from El Paso. It really doesn't come across well when you have to thank people reading from a list off a sheet of paper. "I'd like to thank" *looks down at sheet of paper* "my old and dear friend . . . "
I think she was watching the CNN commentary before going on; she's coming out with the populist guns blazing.

Orange Crush said:
Actually I think the fact he has a Islamic name will help more than hurt especially in dealing with the middle east issues. Should give him much more credibility on that alone. We have spent years making enemies and alot of times we were right in what we did - But I think now is the time to start reaching out and making alies instead of enemies.
Recently I was with an Indian-American friend of mine in the Old City of Jerusalem, eating at a falafel joint run by a Muslim Palestinian in the Christian Quarter. He was a very kind man, speaking to us passionately about how all Palestinians need to stick together, regardless of religion. This was in January, two days before Bush came to Israel. Security was very tight. We talked about Bush for a moment (he said he might have to close his restaurant for a day or two because of security surrounding the visit), and then talk suddenly shifted. "You might have a new one in charge." he said, "Obama!" He seemed fairly enthusiastic, but when I told him that Obama's full name was Barack Hussein Obama, the man's face lit up. He couldn't believe it and starting shouting ecstatically to one of his employees, "Barack Hussein Obama!" I told him that Obama wasn't a Muslim but had lived in Indonesia. In any case, this didn't matter to the man. He was so excited that a man with this name might be president of the United States. It was clear that he would tell many people he knew about Obama's name and that to them, this means something important and even profound.
Clearly the man's middle name will have great sway with Middle East leaders :confused:

I'm an American living in Niger (insert gratuitous yellowcake joke here). These days I'm constantly finding myself in discussions with friends and colleagues about the US presidential primaries. Some of these conversations have gone in a similar direction as reported by your reader.

The overwhelming majority, however, involve some form of me trying to disabuse them of the notion that "Americans will never elect a black president". This argument comes in several varieties, ranging from the smug dismissals offered by most of my European colleagues to genuine incredulity among my Nigerien friends that an African (his father's from Kenya, to them that makes him African) could compete against a field of white candidates. Andrew, you don't know how badly I want Obama to prove them all wrong.
When I was in Tanzania last summer we discussed the Bush and politics at dinner with some locals. I told them Obama (had to explain who he was) would win the election and none of them believed he had a chance. They told me (through my wife who is from there) that "America will never elect a black man for President". We are planning on going back in June and I'm interested at what they think about it now.

CNN said Hillary's deputy campaign manager also resigned a few days agoWhat's going on there?
:confused: I won't be able to sleep at night though until Hillary is either officially eliminated from contention or she announces she is stepping aside. That Clinton voodoo-mojo-juju just scares the living daylights out of me. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN said Hillary's deputy campaign manager also resigned a few days agoWhat's going on there?
She's getting beat like a drum. She's broke and getting out donated 2-1. She's now trying to pin her whole case for the nomination on three states. I'm not sure her campaign has reached Chernobyl level yet, but she's definitely looking like 3 Mile Island.

Obama down 5 delegates now. Couple questions...1) Are they adding Virginia delegates in already or are these Super-Delegates that have just "voted".2) Is tonight the last night that Obama trails in delegates?
They are adding Virginia I believe.I think a lot of people are forgetting how many delegates TX has. There is really no way to know who is going to come out on top until the end.
193, only 40 more than North Carolina.
228-134/=40Thanks for playing though.

From CNN re: Virginia

Exit polls: Obama stealing Clinton's base

Posted: 08:39 PM ET

According to Virginia exit polls, Obama won almost 60 percent of the female Democratic vote.

(CNN) — Barack Obama did well with Virginia Democrats across both race and gender lines, and seems to be eating away at Hillary Clinton's backbone of support: women.

According to exit polls, Obama won nearly 60 percent of the female vote, a demographic that has carried Clinton to success in past primaries.

Clinton even fared worse among men in Virginia – more than two-thirds chose Obama.

Meanwhile, the Illinois senator scored his highest percentage of African-American support to date — winning close to 90 percent of that voting bloc. And the two evenly split the white vote as whole, even though in past primaries Clinton has held a slight edge among white voters.

Obama even beat Clinton among Latino voters, a group that his heavily favored Clinton in most past primaries. In Virginia, Latino's went for Obama over Clinton by 6 points. Though they were only 5 percent of the electorate there.

The only demographic Clinton won in Virginia was among white women, who broke for her over Obama by 10 points. But that margin is significantly smaller than the national average on Super Tuesday. She beat Obama among white women by 25 points then, according to national exit polls.

Obama down 5 delegates now. Couple questions...1) Are they adding Virginia delegates in already or are these Super-Delegates that have just "voted".2) Is tonight the last night that Obama trails in delegates?
They are adding Virginia I believe.I think a lot of people are forgetting how many delegates TX has. There is really no way to know who is going to come out on top until the end.
193, only 40 more than North Carolina.
228-134/=40Thanks for playing though.
Sorry, was looking at 191 for Texas and 134 for N. Carolina (not seeing that the 134 included the Supers and yes my math would have still been off by 17)You could just say the information is wrong without being a jerk but I suppose it's just easier being that way over the internet. Nice job!

"Bush won't be on the ballot, my cousin **** Cheney won't be on the ballot..." lol

He's had some good one-liners tonight and he's going after McCain.

I think they realize that the next battle with Hillary is goign to be who can beat McCain.

he is going on the offensive against McCain today which in effect is going on the offensive against Clinton

Is this the exact same speech I hear from him, word for word?

I have never been into politics before so maybe this is just commonplace.

Orange Crush said:
Clearly the man's middle name will have great sway with Middle East leaders :thumbdown:

When I was in Tanzania last summer we discussed the Bush and politics at dinner with some locals. I told them Obama (had to explain who he was) would win the election and none of them believed he had a chance. They told me (through my wife who is from there) that "America will never elect a black man for President". We are planning on going back in June and I'm interested at what they think about it now.
LOOK AT ME, I MARRIED A TANZANIAN

God he is a great orator.

In re: TX, I had this discussion in another thread - superdelegates will be running to Obama by the truckload from here on out. They are not obligated to anything except the party, and the party is behind Obama. Also, Obama has not even STARTED campaigning in TX - that vote is still three weeks away and all he needs to do in TX is stay within 7 points. The way the delegates are divided by the Dem. Party means he can lose Ohio and Tx, win the Dem. delegates from the population centers, and still win enough pledged delegates to clinch the nomination on March 4.

In re: Obama appeals to elitists - this latest vote shows Obama polled very well and beat Clinton among the poor.

Lifelong Republican here - very impressed by what I heard in Obama's speech tonight. Aside from the fact that I want him to trounce Clinton, I voted for him in the NJ primary (my first D vote ever) as I actually get the sense that he's far and away the best one running this election.

Lifelong Republican here - very impressed by what I heard in Obama's speech tonight. Aside from the fact that I want him to trounce Clinton, I voted for him in the NJ primary (my first D vote ever) as I actually get the sense that he's far and away the best one running this election.
:thumbup: Obamicans are definitely welcome here.

McCain taking some shots at Obama tonight: :paraphrase: "i dont seek the presidency due to my view as being the chosen one to rescue our country in its hour of need"

:) Obamicans are definitely welcome here.
Do I get a free t-shirt or button?
Just as soon as those FBGs for Obama T-shirts roll off the presses.

:) And I must say that even though I hate the Raiders, "Autumn Wind" has to be one of the greatest pieces of music ever composed!

God he is a great orator.

In re: TX, I had this discussion in another thread - superdelegates will be running to Obama by the truckload from here on out. They are not obligated to anything except the party, and the party is behind Obama. Also, Obama has not even STARTED campaigning in TX - that vote is still three weeks away and all he needs to do in TX is stay within 7 points. The way the delegates are divided by the Dem. Party means he can lose Ohio and Tx, win the Dem. delegates from the population centers, and still win enough pledged delegates to clinch the nomination on March 4.

In re: Obama appeals to elitists - this latest vote shows Obama polled very well and beat Clinton among the poor.
The bolded is key -- I really think he has a good chance of being the Democratic nominee because of this. If he wins the pledged delegates, I think the supers will fall in line.

Great speech tonight. I'd be proud to have him as my president.

Does anybody know what the deal is with McCain's left cheek/jowl. Is that a goiter or something.

Great speech tonight. I'd be proud to have him as my president. Does anybody know what the deal is with McCain's left cheek/jowl. Is that a goiter or something.
Just a guess here, someone else can verify, but i would assume it has to do with the YEARS he spent as a POW. Probably broken jaw/torture/undernourishment/etc. :shrug:

The really encouraging thing about tonight is Obama's Latino inroads. Just curious, does anyone know how the Latino vote skews by country of origin? Is there any difference? The MD, VA, DC Latino communities have high percentages of folks from Central American countries, esp. El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras. I imagine Texas has a very high percentage of Latinos of Mexican heritage. Are there pronounced voting differences among these groups? Since Obama did pretty well with DC area Latinos, does it naturally follow that he'll do similarly well amongst Texas Latinos even though they have different countries of origin?

Running a little late, but I'm on my way to Barrack rally in Madison.
Report back when it's done. :rolleyes:
Good time. This was mine and my wife's first political speech we've attended, and well worth the 2+ hour wait in the cold and snow to get in the Kohl Center, and another 2+ hour wait for Barrack to get on stage. It was pretty much the same speech as Saturday's, but it was still awesome to see the man and be apart of 20k+ proud supporters (The Kohl Center only holds 17k). Milwaukee should easily be Barrack's, and if the students show up, Madison will be his too. :thumbup:

With a Surge, Obama Makes His Case

By ADAM NAGOURNEY Published: February 13, 2008

link

WASHINGTON — The lopsided nature of Senator Barack Obama’s parade of victories on Tuesday gives him an opening to make the case that Democratic voters have broken in his favor and that the party should coalesce around his candidacy.

Mr. Obama’s victories capped a week in which he went undefeated in states across the country, in many cases by big margins, over Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

And his strength on Tuesday sliced across nearly every major demographic line, with two elements standing out: in Virginia and Maryland, according to surveys of voters leaving the polls, he beat Mrs. Clinton among women and the two were nearly even among white voters.

The sheer consistency of Mr. Obama’s victories over the last few days certainly suggests that many Democratic voters have gotten past whatever reservations they might have had about his electability or his qualifications to be president.

Even before his latest victories, Mr. Obama, of Illinois, had whittled away at the advantages amassed last year by Mrs. Clinton.

He now enjoys a big financial advantage. Her big lead in national polls is gone. By most counts, Mr. Obama can now claim more delegates pledged to him. He has won far more states than Mrs. Clinton, although she won some of the big prizes, like California and New Jersey.

For weeks, Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama had approached this race the same way: as state-by-state trench warfare, in the belief that the nomination would go to whoever got the most delegates.

But the results in the past week suggest that the race might be tilting back to a more normal form, where the goal is achieving a series of splashing victories and thus momentum. They have provided Mr. Obama with the opportunity — which he has been taking and plans to seize in a more full-throated way starting on Wednesday — to argue that voters across a wide cross-section are lining up behind his candidacy, and that the time has come for the group that could hold the balance of power, those 796 unpledged superdelegates — party leaders and elected officials who have an automatic seat at the national convention — to follow suit.

“We are in a momentum phase of the process now,” said Tad Devine, a Democratic consultant.

Mrs. Clinton’s advisers dispute that, noting that his victories have come in relatively small states and that she has invested most of her attention in two big contests coming up on March 4: Ohio and Texas. And her aides have long argued that by the end of the voting, the difference between the two candidates in delegate count would be minimal, leaving the final decision to superdelegates, who in their view would favor Mrs. Clinton.

But if party leaders interpret the number and the magnitude of Mr. Obama’s victories as Democratic voters’ having made up their minds in his favor, that could have big consequences for Mrs. Clinton.

For one thing, if this is an election where a candidate wins by virtue of being seen as winning — a definition of momentum — that would mean that voters in coming states would be influenced by the outcome of earlier races. If that is the case, Mr. Obama might be in a position to encroach on Texas and Ohio, which have become Mrs. Clinton’s fire wall.

For another, fund-raisers and superdelegates are, by their nature, people who tend to go with someone who appears to be a winner, and to do it fast.

Perhaps most problematically, the delegate selection process — in which delegates are allocated to the candidates in proportion to how many votes they win — could now begin to work against Mrs. Clinton. Both candidates get a share of the delegates, even if one wins by a margin of 20 points — which is one reason Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama had stayed so close on delegates.

But many of Mr. Obama’s victories since Feb. 5 have been big enough that he was rewarded a larger number of delegates, meaning that he could have a significant advantage starting Wednesday. The problem for Mrs. Clinton is that in order to make up that difference, she may find that she not only has to win Ohio and Texas, but win them by margins large enough to close a pending delegate gap.

But whatever challenges Mrs. Clinton faces, she has repeatedly proved to be a resourceful candidate with a sharp campaign organization and a passionate base of supporters. Should she win in Ohio and Texas, she could halt Mr. Obama’s claim to momentum and keep the race for pledged delegates from breaking against her. And there has been a history in this campaign of Mr. Obama winning, only to have Mrs. Clinton return and win.

“You can’t make a judgment until Ohio and Texas,” said Jonathan Prince, who was a senior adviser to John Edwards of North Carolina, who quit the race two weeks ago. “In this campaign, every time he has surged ahead, voters take a pause. If momentum keeps slamming into a wall, than you do have to come down to the numbers.”

Mike DuHaime, a Republican consultant who managed Rudolph W. Giuliani’s campaign, said Mrs. Clinton was making the right decisions in trying to make the most of her strengths. :rolleyes:

“Clearly, she has had success in larger states and there are a whole bunch of delegates at stake on March 4,” Mr. DuHaime said. “They are not trying to figure out who can win the most states; they are trying to figure out who can win the most delegates.”

Still, in the end, those two things are not unrelated. Mrs. Clinton has decided to in effect cede the contest in Wisconsin next Tuesday, meaning it may be two weeks after that before she has a potential to put herself in a favorable light again.

At a time when Mr. Obama will be announcing that his train is leaving the station — and pointing to the relatively clear field that Senator John McCain of Arizona has on the Republican side in urging Democrats to unite behind him — that could prove to be an awfully long two weeks for the Clinton campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread