What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (1 Viewer)

If I have to wait months to get this thing, i'm gonna be pissed.
july 11
BAH!
They must've run into FCC delays. Over a month before this thing comes out is garbage. They only need like 1-2 weeks to build the hype. A month is overkill IMO
Well, it's likely due to the demand from 20 countries. But still, this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the phone itself, but the wait will be very long. Over a month away :shrug: .
Bad Business IMO. Of course, knowing the Apple crowd, the hype will only build over the next month and it will be next to impossible to get this thing. But, to wait a month after announcing it is total BS. I cant live another month with this POS Nokia

july 11
BAH!
They must've run into FCC delays. Over a month before this thing comes out is garbage. They only need like 1-2 weeks to build the hype. A month is overkill IMO
Well, it's likely due to the demand from 20 countries. But still, this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the phone itself, but the wait will be very long. Over a month away :thumbup: .
Bad Business IMO. Of course, knowing the Apple crowd, the hype will only build over the next month and it will be next to impossible to get this thing. But, to wait a month after announcing it is total BS. I cant live another month with this POS Nokia
Ditto. I'm slightly pissed, but I did gamble and base my decision on rumors and I guess I bear some blame for being stuck with a crappy phone. On the plus side, I should be an expert golfer on this crappy game it has.

july 11
BAH!
Well, it's likely due to the demand from 20 countries. But still, this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the phone itself, but the wait will be very long. Over a month away :thumbdown: .
Ditto. I'm slightly pissed, but I did gamble and base my decision on rumors and I guess I bear some blame for being stuck with a crappy phone. On the plus side, I should be an expert golfer on this crappy game it has.
mine doesnt even have a game :thumbup:i have a biz trip on 7/20 that i was hoping to have the iPhone for. Its going to be cutting it very close now, especially with the learning curve/data transfer

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/22479

Coming in early July, the new "iPhone 3G" will sell for hundreds less than the original, and—as expected—will come equipped with GPS and access to AT&T's speedy HSDPA network. Also: New version of Mac OS X is coming, along with a major revamp of Apple's .Mac online service.

patterson-444380575-1213039044_thumb.jpg
iPhone 3G

It's real, it's thinner (at the edges, at least), and, truth be told … it looks an awful lot like the original iPhone, from the front at least. A couple of key changes, however: The headphone jack is now flush with the case—so no more need for a headset adapter—and the back panel is now glossy black plastic, which looks good, but may well be more susceptible to scratches than the original brushed metal version.

So that's how the new iPhone looks. What's inside? As expected, 3G and GPS, good for turn-by-turn directions. Nice, but we'd also heard rumors of video conferencing—which, judging from the lack of a front-facing camera on the iPhone 3G, isn't in the cards.

Also, no word on iChat instant messaging for the iPhone; then again, AOL has already announced it's making its own AIM app, and I'm sure plenty of other IM apps will arrive once the App Store launched (more on that in a moment).

And while we're at it—no discussion of music or video downloads over AT&T's HSDPA network, reportedly a sticking point between the carrier and Apple.

That said, it turns out the rumors of lower prices were true. A 16GB iPhone 3G will sell for $299, while the 8GB will go for $199. That sounds a lot better than $599 for the original 8GB iPhone. Also: The iPhone in white!

And finally, the release date: July 11. Looks like we've got a little wait on our hands.

patterson-276045652-1213039047_thumb.jpg
iPhone Firmware 2.0

We already knew that the new App Store (which will come stocked with applications built by third-party developers, courtesy of the iPhone SDK), Exchange support (including over-the-air syncing of e-mail, contacts, and events), and IT-focused security enchancements would come with the latest version of the iPhone firmware, but now we have a few more details on the upcoming iPhone update, along with an availablity date: early July.

First, of all: contact search, which will pull up matching contacts the moment you type starting characters. We'll also be getting read-only support for PowerPoint documents, as well as full support for iWork, Apple's Office competitor.

Next up: the ability to move or delete groups of messages, or even save photos attached to e-mails in the iPhone's photo album (no mention of saving images from Web pages).

Rounding out the new firmware 2.0 features: parental controls (including restructions on YouTube and the iTunes Store—sorry, kids), plus a new and improved scientific calculator (just turn the iPhone on its side to get all the new buttons), along with support for Chinese, Japanese, and other languages.

patterson-650317114-1213039049_thumb.jpg
Applications

A series of developers demoed at least a dozen games and applications during the keynote. Among the highlights: Sega's previously-announced Super Money Ball (now with 110 "stages"), an auction tracker from eBay, GPS-assisted social networking from Loopt (good for seeing if you have buddies nearby), a mobile blogging app (including photos) from TypePad, an AP news tracker complete with videos, and an app from Major League Baseball that'll let you follow teams and games in real time.

Games such as Super Monkey Ball will sell for $9.99 when the App Store launches, while the other apps I just mentioned will be free.

Mobile Me

Looks like the leaks about a revamped .Mac were true. As expected, the service—now dubbed Mobile Me—automatically syncs your e-mail, Address Book contacts, iCal events, and photos over-the-air between iPhones and Macs. Even better: Mobile Me will support Outlook for PC users. Unfortunately, no price drop—we're still talking $99 a year, although there will be a free 60-day trial. Look for Mobile Me to arrive in early July, along with the new iPhone firmware.

Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"

Confirmed by Steve Jobs—but no other details quite yet. Stay tuned.

There is still the matter of the AT&T Retail Store vacation blackout between 6/15 and 7/12. I wouldn't be surprised if the first of the new GPS iPhones go on sale next Monday. They may not have the full-on 2.0 firmware, but they would almost certainly have a pre-release version of it since the existing firmware was not written for these phones.

Or, it might be another month.

But all the apps are going to be sweet either way.

You guys are WAY too excited about this.
:bag: iPhone = rare steak ;)
And in a peculiar twist of fate, it looks like I will be getting one of these gadgets (free). :lmao: So when do they come out? Better yet, when will they become "available"? I hope they are smaller than the first one...
Should be out and available on June 9th.
Saw some speculation that it could take a week or so to hit stores. If they were in stores (AT&T) before June 9th, someone would not be able to resist opening up the boxes and spreading photos all over the internet, so don't be surprised if they aren't available the day they are announced.
:)

july 11
BAH!
Not FCC delays, maybe AT&T network certification delays.The 3G iPhone doesn't do anything that dozens of other phone and data devices aren't doing.

So you need to spend $10 more a month just to have the new iphone :thumbup: Doesn't make the $100 off seem like that big of a deal. :rolleyes:

And, they screw you on text messages. Text messages have to be the smallest data transfer, yet prices for text are comparable to data plans.

I wonder if they'll allow coorporate discounts now for iPhone service plans. They didn't before. Might cut out the extra $10/month.

anyone know if this i-phone will be able to receive pictures & vidoes via text ? that you can read right then on the phone?

july 11
BAH!
Well, it's likely due to the demand from 20 countries. But still, this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the phone itself, but the wait will be very long. Over a month away :lmao: .
Everyone's gotta settle down a bit. Yeah a month is a bummer, but it's no big in the grand scheme of things. Not many companies have product immediately available at announcement. Has the Microsoft Surface hit market yet? At least it's not a six month wait like the original iPhone unveil.

july 11
BAH!
Well, it's likely due to the demand from 20 countries. But still, this is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the phone itself, but the wait will be very long. Over a month away :violin: .
Everyone's gotta settle down a bit. Yeah a month is a bummer, but it's no big in the grand scheme of things. Not many companies have product immediately available at announcement. Has the Microsoft Surface hit market yet? At least it's not a six month wait like the original iPhone unveil.
But i want it nowwwwwwwww [/tantrum]

i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?

Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh.

Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :confused:

anyone know if this i-phone will be able to receive pictures & vidoes via text ? that you can read right then on the phone?
I asked the same thing earlier. I think this is one of the greatest drawbacks to the phone - and apparently a lot of other people do too - so I would bet if Apple doesn't address it, a third party app will for sure....

i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. ;)
Hi tgnz,Edge was brutally slow. You had to have a lot of patience. I don't. Apple folks are somewhat like Harley people in my opinion (and I probably own more apple product than most here). When you pay more than the going rate for the alternative product, and the hype is over the top, you rarely criticize what you just paid more for. That was my take on EDGE. It sucked. But it's hard to admit it when you just ponied up the extra money to cancel your plan and move over to AT&T.So this news really is significant. But your observation is spot on.J

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the same thing earlier. I think this is one of the greatest drawbacks to the phone - and apparently a lot of other people do too - so I would bet if Apple doesn't address it, a third party app will for sure....
It isn't specifically mentioned from what I can see.

While I'm thinking of iphone - the voice mail interface is great. Very helpful to "see" your voice mail messages. I'm surprised other phones haven't picked up on that yet. That is very cool.

J

i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :thumbup:
Hi tgnz,Edge was brutally slow. You had to have a lot of patience. I don't. Apple folks are somewhat like Harley people in my opinion (and I probably own more apple product than most here). When you pay more than the going rate for the alternative product, and the hype is over the top, you rarely criticize what you just paid more for. That was my take on EDGE. It sucked. But it's hard to admit it when you just ponied up the extra money to cancel your plan and move over to AT&T.So this news really is significant. But your observation is spot on.J
Besides the fact I'm not an early adopter due to price reasons, one of the main reasons I didn't get an iphone yet was because of EDGE, data downloads were fax modem days type slow. They highly tauted(sp?) the wonderful web capability of the iphone when it came out, but the data transfer was awful. Now, I'm not sure how many people were aware of this going in though, I'm sure many were just dazzled by the Apple hype.I'll wait until I see a demo, but if 3G provides the kind of speed that makes many of the features on the phone worthwhile, it will be worth $10 increase in incremental monthly cost in my eyes. Also helps that both my RAZR phone and 4 year old ipod mini are on their last legs.

adonis said:
Buckna said:
QUEZILLA said:
Buckna said:
Nate said:
8GB: $199 16GB: $299
:thumbup: Can't wait to replace my nearly 2.5 year old RAZR.
If you keep it as long as you kept your RAZAR, it's $199 + $300or$299 + $300Since the cheapest iphone plan is now going to be $10 more per month.
How much faster is 3G vs Edge?
3xish?Heard on Edge a page loaded at 59 seconds and only about 15 on 3g.
you've been using the IPhone to surf the net for a year at 59 seconds per page speeds?????

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :thumbup:
Besides the fact I'm not an early adopter due to price reasons, one of the main reasons I didn't get an iphone yet was because of EDGE, data downloads were fax modem days type slow. They highly tauted(sp?) the wonderful web capability of the iphone when it came out, but the data transfer was awful. Now, I'm not sure how many people were aware of this going in though, I'm sure many were just dazzled by the Apple hype.I'll wait until I see a demo, but if 3G provides the kind of speed that makes many of the features on the phone worthwhile, it will be worth $10 increase in incremental monthly cost in my eyes. Also helps that both my RAZR phone and 4 year old ipod mini are on their last legs.
I was an early adopter, the earliest you can be pretty much, and my take on it is this. Before the iPhone, I had a crappy samsung smartphone that I couldn't surf the net on no matter how fast it was. I also had a separate ipod mini.The iPhone was a convergence device for me, which allowed me the ease of using the internet, even if it was slow, that I never had before. Slow internet anywhere is greater than no internet everywhere, despite being slower perhaps than phones offered by other companies, because I never used or owned one.I wasn't that attracted to other phones because of the ipod functionality of my iphone, along with the other features like integrated google maps, and a promise of upgrades in software over time. Again, I was OK with the data speed loading webpages because before the iPhone, I could only surf or check email at home, and even though it was slow, it still opened up the world of the web anywhere I had cellular access. 3G will only serve to make this better, and the GPS will add another very useful function to my iPhone, besides being a portable phone/internet browser/ipod it will now also be a portable navigation system. Add on the cool new games that will be coming out, and you also have a portable gaming system as well, like a PSP or a DS, granted it'll be a bit lower tech though.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :lmao:
I was an early adopter, the earliest you can be pretty much, and my take on it is this. Before the iPhone, I had a crappy samsung smartphone that I couldn't surf the net on no matter how fast it was. I also had a separate ipod mini.The iPhone was a convergence device for me, which allowed me the ease of using the internet, even if it was slow, that I never had before. Slow internet anywhere is greater than no internet everywhere, despite being slower perhaps than phones offered by other companies, because I never used or owned one.I wasn't that attracted to other phones because of the ipod functionality of my iphone, along with the other features like integrated google maps, and a promise of upgrades in software over time. Again, I was OK with the data speed loading webpages because before the iPhone, I could only surf or check email at home, and even though it was slow, it still opened up the world of the web anywhere I had cellular access. 3G will only serve to make this better, and the GPS will add another very useful function to my iPhone, besides being a portable phone/internet browser/ipod it will now also be a portable navigation system. Add on the cool new games that will be coming out, and you also have a portable gaming system as well, like a PSP or a DS, granted it'll be a bit lower tech though.
No offense adonis, but this isn't the bill of goods Apple has been selling the past year re: the IPhone. Your version is more like: if you've never had a smart phone, the IPhone is a slow, but useful option. Apple's version: this phone will change your life.

adonis said:
Buckna said:
QUEZILLA said:
Buckna said:
Nate said:
8GB: $199 16GB: $299
:lmao: Can't wait to replace my nearly 2.5 year old RAZR.
If you keep it as long as you kept your RAZAR, it's $199 + $300or$299 + $300Since the cheapest iphone plan is now going to be $10 more per month.
How much faster is 3G vs Edge?
3xish?Heard on Edge a page loaded at 59 seconds and only about 15 on 3g.
you've been using the IPhone to surf the net for a year at 59 seconds per page speeds?????
I usually just use my iphone to read the news, which are mainly text articles, which generally only take about 20-30 seconds to load.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :lmao:
No offense adonis, but this isn't the bill of goods Apple has been selling the past year re: the IPhone. Your version is more like: if you've never had a smart phone, the IPhone is a slow, but useful option. Apple's version: this phone will change your life.
The mistake you're making is assuming that a slow, but useful option cannot change your life.It certainly positively changed mine, although I shudder at using that terminology because I would never put it in those terms. When I went on trips, I no longer needed to take my laptop because my iPhone sufficed, especially when I was around wifi areas. IN other areas, sending and receiving emails was still possible, reducing my baggage.Was it just as good as a fast connection with a nice computer, with all fancy features? No, probably not, but for the options it presented, I really enjoyed it and it did change how I surfed, how available news and information was, entertainment, etc.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
The mistake you're making is assuming that a slow, but useful option cannot change your life.It certainly positively changed mine, although I shudder at using that terminology because I would never put it in those terms. When I went on trips, I no longer needed to take my laptop because my iPhone sufficed, especially when I was around wifi areas. IN other areas, sending and receiving emails was still possible, reducing my baggage.Was it just as good as a fast connection with a nice computer, with all fancy features? No, probably not, but for the options it presented, I really enjoyed it and it did change how I surfed, how available news and information was, entertainment, etc.
How is this different than my Verizon Q, which has been 3G for a couple years now? I've been itching to move to the IPhone for awhile now and an unlocked 3G may be the answer, but now you guys have me worried that I'll be disappointed.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :unsure:
How is this different than my Verizon Q, which has been 3G for a couple years now? I've been itching to move to the IPhone for awhile now and an unlocked 3G may be the answer, but now you guys have me worried that I'll be disappointed.
It's all about what you need vs what is offered. For me, those two lined up very well. I never had a need for copy paste, the speeds were OK for me needs, I didn't need to search contacts, I didn't need a lot of the stuff it didn't have, and I relied heavily on the things it did have.What you should do is find out what are make or break deals with your current phone, research the iPhone, and if it doesn't have those items, maybe it's not for you. But I will tell you that I've played with other phones since then, and what the iphone has, that other phones have, it does a LOT better. Internet is so much better on the iphone than other phones it's not funny, not including speeds. The iPod functionality is seamless and easy to use, especially with iTunes. Software upgrades are very easy as well, and you get a 2 year subscription to new items. Google maps are great, and even on the V1 iphone, the locate me now feature was very useful.So i'll just stress that the iPhone only has a finite feature set, and if the things it has don't match up to what you need, you likely won't be happy with it, but if it overlaps enough with what you need, and what it doesn't have you can do without, you just might be happy with it.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?Love the GPS feature though. The games, meh. Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :shock:
It's all about what you need vs what is offered. For me, those two lined up very well. I never had a need for copy paste, the speeds were OK for me needs, I didn't need to search contacts, I didn't need a lot of the stuff it didn't have, and I relied heavily on the things it did have.What you should do is find out what are make or break deals with your current phone, research the iPhone, and if it doesn't have those items, maybe it's not for you. But I will tell you that I've played with other phones since then, and what the iphone has, that other phones have, it does a LOT better. Internet is so much better on the iphone than other phones it's not funny, not including speeds. The iPod functionality is seamless and easy to use, especially with iTunes. Software upgrades are very easy as well, and you get a 2 year subscription to new items. Google maps are great, and even on the V1 iphone, the locate me now feature was very useful.So i'll just stress that the iPhone only has a finite feature set, and if the things it has don't match up to what you need, you likely won't be happy with it, but if it overlaps enough with what you need, and what it doesn't have you can do without, you just might be happy with it.
Thanks adonis. :unsure: I'll definitely do my homework before making the switch. Speed is by far my number 1 priority when I'm surfing the net. Once you're accustomed to quick net, you can't go backwards. Even if the graphics and interface are better - I don't know if I the patience to wait.My 80 Gig IPod classic isn't going anywhere, so until the iPhone comes with significant storage space, it won't be my primary portable music player.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:
i don't understand. a year ago, when we talked about the Edge network, all I heard was that it was plenty fast and speed wasn't an issue. now the big upgrade is the move to 3G, and it's supposed to be huge news?

Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :lmao:
Hi tgnz,Edge was brutally slow. You had to have a lot of patience. I don't. Apple folks are somewhat like Harley people in my opinion (and I probably own more apple product than most here). When you pay more than the going rate for the alternative product, and the hype is over the top, you rarely criticize what you just paid more for. That was my take on EDGE. It sucked. But it's hard to admit it when you just ponied up the extra money to cancel your plan and move over to AT&T.

So this news really is significant. But your observation is spot on.

J
I was an early adopter, the earliest you can be pretty much, and my take on it is this. Before the iPhone, I had a crappy samsung smartphone that I couldn't surf the net on no matter how fast it was. I also had a separate ipod mini.The iPhone was a convergence device for me, which allowed me the ease of using the internet, even if it was slow, that I never had before. Slow internet anywhere is greater than no internet everywhere, despite being slower perhaps than phones offered by other companies, because I never used or owned one.

I wasn't that attracted to other phones because of the ipod functionality of my iphone, along with the other features like integrated google maps, and a promise of upgrades in software over time.

Again, I was OK with the data speed loading webpages because before the iPhone, I could only surf or check email at home, and even though it was slow, it still opened up the world of the web anywhere I had cellular access. 3G will only serve to make this better, and the GPS will add another very useful function to my iPhone, besides being a portable phone/internet browser/ipod it will now also be a portable navigation system.

Add on the cool new games that will be coming out, and you also have a portable gaming system as well, like a PSP or a DS, granted it'll be a bit lower tech though.
The mistake you're making is assuming that a slow, but useful option cannot change your life.It certainly positively changed mine, although I shudder at using that terminology because I would never put it in those terms. When I went on trips, I no longer needed to take my laptop because my iPhone sufficed, especially when I was around wifi areas. IN other areas, sending and receiving emails was still possible, reducing my baggage.

Was it just as good as a fast connection with a nice computer, with all fancy features? No, probably not, but for the options it presented, I really enjoyed it and it did change how I surfed, how available news and information was, entertainment, etc.
It's all about what you need vs what is offered. For me, those two lined up very well. I never had a need for copy paste, the speeds were OK for me needs, I didn't need to search contacts, I didn't need a lot of the stuff it didn't have, and I relied heavily on the things it did have.What you should do is find out what are make or break deals with your current phone, research the iPhone, and if it doesn't have those items, maybe it's not for you. But I will tell you that I've played with other phones since then, and what the iphone has, that other phones have, it does a LOT better. Internet is so much better on the iphone than other phones it's not funny, not including speeds. The iPod functionality is seamless and easy to use, especially with iTunes. Software upgrades are very easy as well, and you get a 2 year subscription to new items. Google maps are great, and even on the V1 iphone, the locate me now feature was very useful.

So i'll just stress that the iPhone only has a finite feature set, and if the things it has don't match up to what you need, you likely won't be happy with it, but if it overlaps enough with what you need, and what it doesn't have you can do without, you just might be happy with it.
Thanks adonis. :unsure: I'll definitely do my homework before making the switch. Speed is by far my number 1 priority when I'm surfing the net. Once you're accustomed to quick net, you can't go backwards. Even if the graphics and interface are better - I don't know if I the patience to wait.

My 80 Gig IPod classic isn't going anywhere, so until the iPhone comes with significant storage space, it won't be my primary portable music player.
Was hoping for at least a 32 GB version this time around.

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:

Overall, not very exciting, IMO. ;)
Hi tgnz,Edge was brutally slow. You had to have a lot of patience. I don't. Apple folks are somewhat like Harley people in my opinion (and I probably own more apple product than most here). When you pay more than the going rate for the alternative product, and the hype is over the top, you rarely criticize what you just paid more for. That was my take on EDGE. It sucked. But it's hard to admit it when you just ponied up the extra money to cancel your plan and move over to AT&T.

J
I was an early adopter, the earliest you can be pretty much, and my take on it is this. Before the iPhone, I had a crappy samsung smartphone that I couldn't surf the net on no matter how fast it was. I also had a separate ipod mini.The iPhone was a convergence device for me, which allowed me the ease of using the internet, even if it was slow, that I never had before. Slow internet anywhere is greater than no internet everywhere, despite being slower perhaps than phones offered by other companies, because I never used or owned one.

I wasn't that attracted to other phones because of the ipod functionality of my iphone, along with the other features like integrated google maps, and a promise of upgrades in software over time.

Again, I was OK with the data speed loading webpages because before the iPhone, I could only surf or check email at home, and even though it was slow, it still opened up the world of the web anywhere I had cellular access. 3G will only serve to make this better, and the GPS will add another very useful function to my iPhone, besides being a portable phone/internet browser/ipod it will now also be a portable navigation system.

Add on the cool new games that will be coming out, and you also have a portable gaming system as well, like a PSP or a DS, granted it'll be a bit lower tech though.
The mistake you're making is assuming that a slow, but useful option cannot change your life.It certainly positively changed mine, although I shudder at using that terminology because I would never put it in those terms. When I went on trips, I no longer needed to take my laptop because my iPhone sufficed, especially when I was around wifi areas. IN other areas, sending and receiving emails was still possible, reducing my baggage.

Was it just as good as a fast connection with a nice computer, with all fancy features? No, probably not, but for the options it presented, I really enjoyed it and it did change how I surfed, how available news and information was, entertainment, etc.
This is what I don't get. I can't fathom why someone would consider using an iphone if they had access to a laptop. It's just night and day. Not even remotely close to the same experience if you're doing any more than checking the weather. This isn't really a knock on the iphone, it's cool for what it is. But it's just a horribly compromised internet viewing machine compared to a decent laptop. Even with wifi. Using Edge compared to a normal laptop with a Verizon wireless card, it's not even in the same stratosphere.J

personally I love the iPhone for inet. Posting from it now. I will be keeping my slow 2g iPhone until the 32 gb is available. Unlimited data is 10 bucks more than what I am paying now. That's enough to make me wait at least til Xmas or refurbs are available or when we here about the NEXT iphone.

Oh and Joe. It would be sweet for an iPhone version of the site. I do read the boards in lofi for speed sake

personally I love the iPhone for inet. Posting from it now. I will be keeping my slow 2g iPhone until the 32 gb is available. Unlimited data is 10 bucks more than what I am paying now. That's enough to make me wait at least til Xmas or refurbs are available or when we here about the NEXT iphone. Oh and Joe. It would be sweet for an iPhone version of the site. I do read the boards in lofi for speed sake
Hi None,What does an iphone version of a site entail?How is it different than the lo fi? That's what was I use if I have to use the site with my blackberry.J

Questions about the iPhone 2.0 or even the 1.0:

Is getting an iPhone and using it as a substitute for high speed internet at home a resonable alternative? I ask because paying for high speed and an iPhone is not something I can do.

How has the battery life been for the 1.0 version? What was said about the battery life for 2.0?

I will probably think of more questions but those are big for now.

personally I love the iPhone for inet. Posting from it now. I will be keeping my slow 2g iPhone until the 32 gb is available. Unlimited data is 10 bucks more than what I am paying now. That's enough to make me wait at least til Xmas or refurbs are available or when we here about the NEXT iphone. Oh and Joe. It would be sweet for an iPhone version of the site. I do read the boards in lofi for speed sake
Hi None,What does an iphone version of a site entail?How is it different than the lo fi? That's what was I use if I have to use the site with my blackberry.J
i think that's what he's talking about Joe - the lo-fi version. I use it as well on my Q.

i think that's what he's talking about Joe - the lo-fi version. I use it as well on my Q.
I thought he was asking for something different than what we have now.J

I thought he was asking for something different than what we have now.J
Joe is right. Looking for a whole nother web interface. And reccomending cool apps for FBGs

Buckna said:
Joe Bryant said:
tommyGunZ said:

Overall, not very exciting, IMO. :shrug:

J

This is what I don't get. I can't fathom why someone would consider using an iphone if they had access to a laptop. It's just night and day. Not even remotely close to the same experience if you're doing any more than checking the weather. This isn't really a knock on the iphone, it's cool for what it is. But it's just a horribly compromised internet viewing machine compared to a decent laptop. Even with wifi. Using Edge compared to a normal laptop with a Verizon wireless card, it's not even in the same stratosphere.J
I think he's only saying for travel and the like, where carrying a laptop can be cumbersome. Not a replacement for the laptop outright, just a convenient substitute for it on occasion.

Is getting an iPhone and using it as a substitute for high speed internet at home a resonable alternative? I ask because paying for high speed and an iPhone is not something I can do.

How has the battery life been for the 1.0 version? What was said about the battery life for 2.0?

No. You won't be happy with it as a primary internet machine, IMO.

:confused: Unless something changes... maybe my internet habits... I am not going to get one. I do have AirPort though so maybe I could "borrow" the internet every now and then.

:confused: Unless something changes... maybe my internet habits... I am not going to get one. I do have AirPort though so maybe I could "borrow" the internet every now and then.
I thought you already had the iPhone? You lose it?

personally I love the iPhone for inet. Posting from it now. I will be keeping my slow 2g iPhone until the 32 gb is available. Unlimited data is 10 bucks more than what I am paying now. That's enough to make me wait at least til Xmas or refurbs are available or when we here about the NEXT iphone.

Oh and Joe. It would be sweet for an iPhone version of the site. I do read the boards in lofi for speed sake
Hi None,What does an iphone version of a site entail?

How is it different than the lo fi? That's what was I use if I have to use the site with my blackberry.

J
Hey there, primarily its just the menu interface for iPhone. Since the one thing that is vital is missing. Cut and paste. Google " espn podcenter" this is the generic iPhone / touch interface. Since I am an IT manager in south east Michigan I don't get to play in the fun stuff.It would also be cool (I want a penny for every one sold if you do this) to have a iPhone application For ff trade advice. The app would be downloaded to the iPhone. And can "call home" for latest player data for real time value.

iphone menu example

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcas...ne/index#___1__

:kicksrock: Unless something changes... maybe my internet habits... I am not going to get one. I do have AirPort though so maybe I could "borrow" the internet every now and then.
Got stolen and when I find that SOB, it is on. I didn't even get to test out the battery life or internet.

:kicksrock: Unless something changes... maybe my internet habits... I am not going to get one. I do have AirPort though so maybe I could "borrow" the internet every now and then.
Got stolen and when I find that SOB, it is on. I didn't even get to test out the battery life or internet.
At least you got to use the GPS :lmao:

so if i wanted to get one of these new iPhones and get on a whole new plan, what would i have to do? About how much would it cost? TIA/

Users who are viewing this thread