What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (6 Viewers)

The Steelers need another veteran QB on the roster whether it is Rudolph, Tannehill, Fields or someone else. Whether or not Rudolph signs with the Steelers will simply come down to 1) will the Steelers extend an offer and 2) will Rudolph get a better offer from another team. Of course Rudolph will also consider his chance to get an opportunity to be the starter with whatever team that gives him an offer.

I don't think the Myles Garrett incident that happened years ago or a twitter that Rudolph might have liked will be a factor at all.
It really feels like Pickett, Rudolph, mid-round rookie as the 3 QBs.

There's a lot of talk about Fields, but giving up more than a 4th for him would be dumb based on having to pay him almost immediately with the 5th year deal looming. At a 4th we can justify trading for him, not doing the 5th year option, and possibly losing him the following year to FA.

The Steelers need another veteran QB on the roster whether it is Rudolph, Tannehill, Fields or someone else. Whether or not Rudolph signs with the Steelers will simply come down to 1) will the Steelers extend an offer and 2) will Rudolph get a better offer from another team. Of course Rudolph will also consider his chance to get an opportunity to be the starter with whatever team that gives him an offer.

I don't think the Myles Garrett incident that happened years ago or a twitter that Rudolph might have liked will be a factor at all.

There's a lot of talk about Fields, but giving up more than a 4th for him would be dumb based on having to pay him almost immediately with the 5th year deal looming. At a 4th we can justify trading for him, not doing the 5th year option, and possibly losing him the following year to FA.

Agree with your assessment on overspending draft pick on Fields.

If we go with Pickett and Rudolph I would prefer to use a late round pick or undrafted FA on a backup. If we get that far we're going to suck anyways, might as well use the mid-round picks to provide depth at another position, and worry about getting a real QB in 2025

I'm not a big Fields guy but $13M a year for a starting QB is not much of an obstacle or big deal to me.

I'd rather not spend a second on him. Would not be super down on it but not what I want to see happen. A third would be ideal but I don't think he's coming that cheap without conditions attached to it.

Agree with your assessment on overspending draft pick on Fields.

If we go with Pickett and Rudolph I would prefer to use a late round pick or undrafted FA on a backup. If we get that far we're going to suck anyways, might as well use the mid-round picks to provide depth at another position, and worry about getting a real QB in 2025
What about Rattler in the 4th? He did look great before a couple of less stellar seasons. There have been a handful of QBs recently that have had great years followed by years that weren't as good after their talent that helped propel them left for the NFL. And he would be dirt cheap for 4 years compared to Fields. *I have not analyzed his tape, just remember seeing him ball out a few years ago.

I'm not a big Fields guy but $13M a year for a starting QB is not much of an obstacle or big deal to me.

I'd rather not spend a second on him. Would not be super down on it but not what I want to see happen. A third would be ideal but I don't think he's coming that cheap without conditions attached to it.
It would be $13 mil a year for 2 years, but he's expected to get "Daniel Jones money" aka $40 mil per year after that. A 2nd for a 2 year rental is rough. Might cost us a replacement center to dethrone Cole.

It would be $13 mil a year for 2 years, but he's expected to get "Daniel Jones money" aka $40 mil per year after that. A 2nd for a 2 year rental is rough. Might cost us a replacement center to dethrone Cole.
If he gets a $40M/yr contract that means he's playing at a high level. And if he's playing at a high level and they only spent a 2nd or 3rd to get him they've gotten a steal.

The alleged racial slur according to Myles Garret in this video occurred as he was taking down Mason Rudolph. Steelers Feiler and Decastro were very close in proximity to Mason and Myles neither heard the alleged slur. No Pittsburgh Steeler or Cleveland Brown substantiated the alleged slur. Mike Tomlin's viewpoint in this thread. The NFL investigated and found no evidence of the alleged racial slur. Myles role in the incident(ripping off Mason's helmet) resulted in an indefinite suspension that ended up costing him 6-games and 1.2 million dollars.

Maurkice Pouncey suspended for 2 games and Larry Ogunjobi(then a brown and now a Steeler) were suspended for 1 game due to fighting after the play. There are comments in the video that one could point out. But if you don't believe Myles Garrett then what's the point of harping on something that most likely didn't occur.

Last but not least if you don't like what someone is posting in forums the simplest thing to do is to simply ignore them. Click on their username and then click ignore and/or report them if their post is egregious or threatening.
The ignore Troll button is an underrated feature. Only see the troll posted when someone takes the bait and replies.

Fields can't play the turnover free style of game managing coach MT wants. He simply can't read a defense consistently, and the best he plays is when his progressions are only limited to half the field. His pocket footwork and awareness is also dreadful at times which leads to big sacks and fumbles. He can make some big time throws and look brilliant in flashes, but he can never put things together consistently due to the flaws that are evident in his game.

He needs a good QB coach to help work on his flaws, and a dynamic play caller that can get the best out of his strengths. Steelers have neither, so I fail to see the fit.

I hate to bring this into play, but I think there are deeper issues why the Steelers don't like Mason..

There are things Mason believes in or follows that aren’t valued The Steelers way IMO.

Stop beating around the bush - what are you hinting at?
I think if you research on Rudolph and his family you can come to the conclusio

I hate to bring this into play, but I think there are deeper issues why the Steelers don't like Mason..

There are things Mason believes in or follows that aren’t valued The Steelers way IMO.

Stop beating around the bush - what are you hinting at?
I think if you research on Rudolph and his family you can come to the conclusion.
I don't really care that much. The only reason I'm responding is I think it's weird you are being so coy.

If he gets a $40M/yr contract that means he's playing at a high level. And if he's playing at a high level and they only spent a 2nd or 3rd to get him they've gotten a steal.
Is Daniel Jones playing at a high level?

Would Russell Wilson for essentially free, work in this offense? Under center, play-action, with 2 stud RBs and WRs?

At this stage of his career is Russ any better than KP or Mason?

Im not sure that he is better and Russ certainly isn’t a franchise QB at this point.

He was when he got the contract extension.

Would Russell Wilson for essentially free, work in this offense? Under center, play-action, with 2 stud RBs and WRs?

At this stage of his career is Russ any better than KP or Mason?

Im not sure that he is better and Russ certainly isn’t a franchise QB at this point.
Yes I think Russ is a lot better then those two and I think he'd be a strong get if as I suspect he's dirt cheap on notion Denver will be paying him next year.

We don't need no stinkin QB whose 35 and will be 36 at the end of November. No to Cousins as well. No to Ryan T

We don't need no stinkin QB whose 35 and will be 36 at the end of November. No to Cousins as well. No to Ryan T
Why not if they’re cheap? We do need a stopgap for 1-2 years. Is KP that guy? If not, who is? Would Mason be cheaper than Wilson to sign? I would just go with a cheap veteran and let them compete with KP for the starting job. Improve the OL through the draft and then draft a QB the following year.

Why not if they’re cheap? We do need a stopgap for 1-2 years. Is KP that guy? If not, who is? Would Mason be cheaper than Wilson to sign? I would just go with a cheap veteran and let them compete with KP for the starting job. Improve the OL through the draft and then draft a QB the following year.

A stop gap for what? There’s not a young rookie QB that we’re building a bridge for.

Sounds like a recipe to keep going 9-8.

A stop gap for what? There’s not a young rookie QB that we’re building a bridge for.

That’s perfect!

That’s perfect!

Coach T, is that you?

That’s perfect!

Coach T, is that you?
🥸

Kirk Cousins being linked to Steelers 🤣🤣

People writing these columns just don’t get the Steelers don’t make these kind of moves.

I see them going after Tannehill who they will get cheap and go with

Pickett
Tannehill
4th-6th rd pick guy

I will also add they made the playoffs this season so there will be enough talent to compete for a playoff spot or at worst keep Tomlin’s winning season streak going which seems more important anymore.

If KP don’t improve I see them drafting a QB in 1-2 rounds in 2026-2027.

Exactly. He was playing decent in the short term, and now the Giants are f****d. If we trade a 2nd for Fields, I have 0 confidence he'll become consistently good. If he does flash and we pay up, it will probably burn us bad.

I'm not on board trading any pick higher than a 3 for Fields. I am just not convinced he'll ever be any better than what he has already shown.

For 2024 I am fine rolling with Pickett and whatever veteran QB they can get on the cheap. Concentrate the draft picks and cap space on improving the offensive line and solidifying the defense and worry about QB in 2025.

I'm not on board trading any pick higher than a 3 for Fields. I am just not convinced he'll ever be any better than what he has already shown.

For 2024 I am fine rolling with Pickett and whatever veteran QB they can get on the cheap. Concentrate the draft picks and cap space on improving the offensive line and solidifying the defense and worry about QB in 2025.
That was my point above. If they can get someone like Wilson cheap, why not bring him in and have him compete with KP. Unless the goal is to just tank next season completely. In that case, just anoint KP the starter now.

Some team will def trade a 1st or 2nd for Fields.. LV comes to mind.

How would this ensure that the streak is kept active? :sneaky:

Take a look at Minshew at a lower price. Cousins will attract other suitors, and he won't come cheaply.

I don't think Minshew offers competition though. Tannehill does because of his experience in the system. Mason does based on what he did this past season. Wilson does because he is a proven winner (and was not bad last season). These guys are all relatively cheap.

Cousins and Fields would not be competition -- they only come here if they are the starter due to their costs.

So, despite my source saying they are looking at Cousins, Fields, and Stafford, I don't see any of them. I think they take a QB in round 5 or 6 that has upside and sign 1-2 vets for 4QBs in the room.

Latest mock for me:

20. Quinyon Mitchell - CB Toledo
51. Zach Frazier - OC West Virginia
84. Jeremiah Trotter Jr. - LB Clemson
119. Ricky Pearsall - WR Florida
120. Maason Smith - DT LSU
196. Joe Milton - QB Tennessee
237. Walter Rouse - OT Oklahoma

Last edited:
Take a look at Minshew at a lower price. Cousins will attract other suitors, and he won't come cheaply.

I don't think Minshew offers competition though. Tannehill does because of his experience in the system. Mason does based on what he did this past season. Wilson does because he is a proven winner (and was not bad last season). These guys are all relatively cheap.

Cousins and Fields would not be competition -- they only come here if they are the starter due to their costs.

So, despite my source saying they are looking at Cousins, Fields, and Stafford, I don't see any of them. I think they take a QB in round 5 or 6 that has upside and sign 1-2 vets for 4QBs in the room.

Latest mock for me:

20. Quinyon Mitchell - CB Toledo
51. Zach Frazier - OC West Virginia
84. Jeremiah Trotter Jr. - LB Clemson
119. Ricky Pearsall - WR Florida
120. Maason Smith - DT LSU
196. Joe Milton - QB Tennessee
237. Walter Rouse - OT Oklahoma

Cousins/Stafford IMO means you think you can win now. I personally don’t think they can.

Tannehill/Minshew are low cost, low risk, low upside options. Reminds me of when the Pirates sign any starting pitcher via free agency.

Russ. I don’t even know what to say here. Downside of career arc. Unexciting at this point. Some combo of the above.

Fields not sure he will ever be a franchise guy but younger than KP with the highest upside at this point. I won’t be upset if he’s on the roster and starts.

Mason - I can’t believe the Steelers aren’t making more of a play and a real competition including him. He turned the season around last year and is basically being dismissed. I get it that he doesn’t have the 1st round investment but sheesh. If you don’t get Fields, Mason is my #2 choice.

But I’m not Omar Khan or Coach T.

Exactly. He was playing decent in the short term, and now the Giants are f****d. If we trade a 2nd for Fields, I have 0 confidence he'll become consistently good. If he does flash and we pay up, it will probably burn us bad.
Giants handling of Jones contract is IMO an extreme example of incompetence and not the norm. Most notably that they chose to blow their franchise tag card on a RB in a depressed RB market so they had no plan at QB without Jones.

Even then as bad as the Jones extension is it really boils down to 2 years at $38M a year. in theory Steeler's would be able to get at least a full year of Fields before deciding or they could take it to two years knowing they got the tag as an option. A lot of time to make an informed decision.

Saying all that I think Fields costs a second and I don't want to pay it. I'm just not worried about his financial cost.

That was my point above. If they can get someone like Wilson cheap, why not bring him in and have him compete with KP. Unless the goal is to just tank next season completely. In that case, just anoint KP the starter now.
Why do you think he'll be cheap? Or, what is your definition of cheap? His current contract owes him ~$50 - $55 million per year. Is cheap $35 - 37 mil per year, like Goff & Carr? If so, that's our entire free agent budget, plus some. So we'd bring in Wilson who's been ok the last few years, and have to get everything else through the draft. Why would Wilson take less than Carr, a replacement level QB.

Why do you think he'll be cheap? Or, what is your definition of cheap? His current contract owes him ~$50 - $55 million per year. Is cheap $35 - 37 mil per year, like Goff & Carr? If so, that's our entire free agent budget, plus some. So we'd bring in Wilson who's been ok the last few years, and have to get everything else through the draft. Why would Wilson take less than Carr, a replacement level QB.

There is some clause in his contract that he gives up certain money if he signed for >$X or something, So it is expected he signs something close to the minimum.

vHEBKh9T_normal.png

Spotrac

@spotrac

FWIW: Russell Wilson's guarantee next season contains offset language.If the #Broncos release him next March, the $39M owed to him on the way out would be reduced by however much he earns from a new team in 2024.A minimum salary for Wilson next year comes in at $1.21M.

So basically, he isn't making more than $39MM from any team next season. So he can sign for whatever works for whatever team he wants to play for, and he gets $39MM in 2024.

View attachment 4428
Spotrac
@spotrac

FWIW: Russell Wilson's guarantee next season contains offset language.If the #Broncos release him next March, the $39M owed to him on the way out would be reduced by however much he earns from a new team in 2024.A minimum salary for Wilson next year comes in at $1.21M.
He'll be cheap for 2024 but what I've unsuccessfully tried to find out is if his contract can be structured in a such a way to guarantee himself more money in future years?

For instance if you are Wilson do you tell a team I'll sign for the minimum for 2024 but you'll need to guarantee me X amount of pay in future years? I do not know if that type of contract would cause an issue with the guarantees that Denver owes him.

Only thing I'd add on Wilson is if he's going to sign a cheap one year deal with no future years or guarantees and his old lady has any influence on him I feel like she's going to want him to play in Vegas or Atlanta.

View attachment 4428
Spotrac
@spotrac

He'll be cheap for 2024 but what I've unsuccessfully tried to find out is if his contract can be structured in a such a way to guarantee himself more money in future years?

For instance if you are Wilson do you tell a team I'll sign for the minimum for 2024 but you'll need to guarantee me X amount of pay in future years? I do not know if that type of contract would cause an issue with the guarantees that Denver owes him.

Only thing I'd add on Wilson is if he's going to sign a cheap one year deal with no future years or guarantees and his old lady has any influence on him I feel like she's going to want him to play in Vegas or Atlanta.
He probably only has 1-3 seasons left in him anyway. Not sure if he has any other guarantee/offsets or how post-2024 years offset this season's salary.

Gerry DuLac reported today, he doesn't expect the Steelers to bring in a QB this off season.. They are going to push to resign Rudolph and have him and Pickett compete for the starting job.

Dulac is guessing just like everyone else. Could be right, could be wrong.
Knowing the Steelers past history, I think he could be right.. Signing big name players just isn't a thing they do, trading for top notch QB, just is't the thing they do.

Dulac also is the insider, so I am sure he talked to people in the front office and others involved in the organization.

Dulac also is the insider, so I am sure he talked to people in the front office and others involved in the organization.
Dulac is an insider, not the insider, and I wouldn't be so sure of it. He's been wrong before.

Is it like the Steelers to make "splash moves"? No, but they have made moves before that would be out of the norm for them. I would put the odds of them trading for or signing a "splash" QB at less than 50% but Vegas seems to feel differently. They too can be wrong.

Dulac is an insider, not the insider, and I wouldn't be so sure of it. He's been wrong before.

Is it like the Steelers to make "splash moves"? No, but they have made moves before that would be out of the norm for them. I would put the odds of them trading for or signing a "splash" QB at less than 50% but Vegas seems to feel differently. They too can be wrong.
Vegas also had Micah as favor to win the DPOY and look how that went..

I just don't see the Steelers adding a huge name QB.. They are going to give Kenny a year with Smith. They may bring in a veteran backup like a Jimmy G or Minshew.

Users who are viewing this thread