What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick your sandwich: Now with recipes BAM (1 Viewer)

11:08 and time to make my sandwich!  Best part of my day, right here.  Which is a tragic commentary on my life.

We start with this bread.  Toasted on level 3 - warm and crisp but nowhere near approaching burnt territory.  

One slice gets Spicy Harissa Mayo, the other is getting Maille Old Style Mustard.

Up next, a few pieces of crisp, cool iceberg lettuce.  

Today's meat selection is Ham Off the Bone, which was on sale at Fred Meyer this week.  

Finally, the pièce de résistance - TWO types of pickles. Grillo's Hot Spears and Bubbies Bread and Butter.  Love the hot and sweet.

My son has worked at Jersey Mike's for a couple of years now.  I like to think he got his sandwich skills from me.  Except he can use a slicer and I'm not allowed anywhere near one of those.
I had some Barry White playing in my mind while I read this. 

ETA:  For perfect you need a quality tomato and add some cracked black pepper to the layer of mayo before you put the rest of the ingredients together.   Also, the lettuce needs to be fresh but not a lot.......a very thin layer just for the coldness/crispness to off set the bountiful flavors of the bacon & tomato. 
...and whatever amount of bacon you are thinking should go in the sandwich, double it and you will be good.

I'm sure there's a taco truck parked in Portland somewhere serving tropical fruit Tortas.   Do edibles melt when you put them on a hot sandwich?
The next time you come into town and ignore me, we can pretend to go to a local taqueria that serves amazing tortas and I'll show you how a pineapple enhances the torta experience.

Before this thread, I don't think I ever heard of a torta.  :shrug:  Somebody send me one.  I want to try it.  Also, being a Northeast Ohio guy, Po' Boy to me has a different meaning than this chart describes.  Yes, I am familiar with the fried seafood thing, but for a Clevelander, a Po' Boy = Polish Boy, a smoked sausage (best deep fried with a great crispy skin with a snap to it when done right, but often just done on a flat top) with slaw, fries, and BBQ sauce.  Polish Boy

The next time you come into town and ignore me, we can pretend to go to a local taqueria that serves amazing tortas and I'll show you how a pineapple enhances the torta experience.
Wait, wait, wait, you're asserting that there are good tortas in Portland?? 

ETA: I see now why you claim pineapple enhances the flavor. Next time you're in AZ I'll get you a real one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Before this thread, I don't think I ever heard of a torta.  :shrug:  Somebody send me one.  I want to try it.  Also, being a Northeast Ohio guy, Po' Boy to me has a different meaning than this chart describes.  Yes, I am familiar with the fried seafood thing, but for a Clevelander, a Po' Boy = Polish Boy, a smoked sausage (best deep fried with a great crispy skin with a snap to it when done right, but often just done on a flat top) with slaw, fries, and BBQ sauce.  Polish Boy
Gotta come to the southwest for one. 

The General’s 5 Star go to. Probably have eaten approximately one thousand of these. 

Dave’s Good Seed Bread (a fairly thick wheat bread with some random seeds on the crust). A touch of sweetness. The key is that it is hearty enough to not fall apart but not too thick either. The bread isn’t the star, it’s the foundation though like a good bass player.

• A solid Honey Roasted Turkey - you don’t have to go crazy here but can’t go super cheapo either. Boar’s Head is fine.

• Tillamook Swiss Cheese; 2 slices.

• Onion, tomato, lettuce. Careful with the lettuce as it can be a PITA if it’s too thick and it’s not there for anything other than light texture. 

***If I have avocado that is in the 1 hour window that they are edible I smoosh up about a 1/4 of one of these and blend into the mayo.

• Aforementioned Mayo with Sriracha 

• Dash of pepper

Cut in half and serve promptly.

The General’s 5 Star go to. Probably have eaten approximately one thousand of these. 

Dave’s Good Seed Bread (a fairly thick wheat bread with some random seeds on the crust). A touch of sweetness. The key is that it is hearty enough to not fall apart but not too thick either. The bread isn’t the star, it’s the foundation though like a good bass player.

• A solid Honey Roasted Turkey - you don’t have to go crazy here but can’t go super cheapo either. Boar’s Head is fine.

• Tillamook Swiss Cheese; 2 slices.

• Onion, tomato, lettuce. Careful with the lettuce as it can be a PITA if it’s too thick and it’s not there for anything other than light texture. 

***If I have avocado that is in the 1 hour window that they are edible I smoosh up about a 1/4 of one of these and blend into the mayo.

• Aforementioned Mayo with Sriracha 

• Dash of pepper

Cut in half and serve promptly.
I like it. Thoughts though on toasting the bread? Seems like would put this on another level (but I do like hot sandwiches). 

I like it. Thoughts though on toasting the bread? Seems like would put this on another level (but I do like hot sandwiches). 
Approved. I personally don’t because I like how the bread gets a little squishy with the Mayo but i could see that adding a nice texture component.

ETA: I see now why you claim pineapple enhances the flavor. Next time you're in AZ I'll get you a real one. 
I'm sure there is some gastropub serving craft sours that pair perfectly with their fruit tortas.   

In!!!

Oregon has a sizeable Hispanic community - whole lotta farm land and agriculture out here so you can find a good torta if you know where to look. Avoid all restaurants and look for smaller ops and your do fine.  The place I'm going to pretend to take Rover has an onsite bakery so their bread for tortas is fresh and delicious.  

But I'm sure we got nothing on AZ.  And I'll fight the fight for pineapple the balance of my life.  Savory and sweet?  All day long.

Gotta come to the southwest for one. 

California can throw down too.

I preached this numerous times to anyone who will listen, but the key to a good Torta is the bread.  Fresh is a obvious requirement, but the thickness matters as well. Too thick and the ratio of bread to ingredients will be too high.  Too thin, and it will fall apart before you're done eating it.  It seems so simple, but it gets screwed up all the time

Toast all sandwich!  

Dave's Killer Bread!  Portland's own.  Guy has an interesting story too.  Probably could have used Better Call Woz a time or 10.

Reactions: Zow
I moved to portland from California two years ago and I can assure everyone there is no good Mexican food here. I’ve tried, I really have. It’s just universally bland. A little pineapple in it might make it better actually. 

You DIP your hamburger?  Mind. Blown. 

Absolutely.  Again, I like to regulate how much "dip" I get with each bite.  Sometimes I bite without said dip.  I like to mix it up.  Spreading the "dip" on the bun makes it soggy and gross.  Why do you hate freedom?   :fro:

California can throw down too.

I preached this numerous times to anyone who will listen, but the key to a good Torta is the bread.  Fresh is a obvious requirement, but the thickness matters as well. Too thick and the ratio of bread to ingredients will be too high.  Too thin, and it will fall apart before you're done eating it.  It seems so simple, but it gets screwed up all the time
No doubt for SoCal. I consider that part of the southwest. 

11:08 and time to make my sandwich!  Best part of my day, right here.  Which is a tragic commentary on my life.

We start with this bread.  Toasted on level 3 - warm and crisp but nowhere near approaching burnt territory.  

One slice gets Spicy Harissa Mayo, the other is getting Maille Old Style Mustard.

Up next, a few pieces of crisp, cool iceberg lettuce.  

Today's meat selection is Ham Off the Bone, which was on sale at Fred Meyer this week.  

Finally, the pièce de résistance - TWO types of pickles. Grillo's Hot Spears and Bubbies Bread and Butter.  Love the hot and sweet.

My son has worked at Jersey Mike's for a couple of years now.  I like to think he got his sandwich skills from me.  Except he can use a slicer and I'm not allowed anywhere near one of those.

Bread and Butter Pickles are the worst.  @Frostillicus has my back here 

I moved to portland from California two years ago and I can assure everyone there is no good Mexican food here. I’ve tried, I really have. It’s just universally bland. A little pineapple in it might make it better actually. 

The restaurant scene is horrid for Mexican here, but again, you have to look for the smaller places - the food trucks and taquerias.  Go to Sanchez Taqueria in Tigard off 99.  Get the Torta - dealer's choice but the Al Pastor is terrific.  If you hate it, I'll PayPal you the cost plus gas money.

No doubt for SoCal. I consider that part of the southwest. 

I'm in Northern California, Sacramento area.  The town I live in is majority Hispanic, and has 18 different Taquerias for a little over 50k residents.  And that's not counting traditional Mexican restaurants.  You can't suck if you're going to survive here in that business.

The restaurant scene is horrid for Mexican here, but again, you have to look for the smaller places - the food trucks and taquerias.  Go to Sanchez Taqueria in Tigard off 99.  Get the Torta - dealer's choice but the Al Pastor is terrific.  If you hate it, I'll PayPal you the cost plus gas money.
 just don't zelle it

I am emotionally scarred from moving from San Diego to Washington (and a tiny corner of Washington).  It's not just that there is no good Mexican food, it's the disappointment of trying so much bad Mexican food hunting for something close to good (most of it tasting exactly the same).   

After about 12-13 years, my prayers were answered by a taco truck (Taqueria El Guapo) taking up residence in parking lot next to a tap room just 3 miles from my house.   Family that owns it is from Baja, so I can finally get tortas that aren't made on hoagie buns and carne asada burritos that they don't try to fill with rice and beans.   And delicious red (with no shades of brown) hot sauce in a proper plastic container.   

I have literally tried multiple times to buy a Roberto's franchise.   

I’ll give it a try! No need for refunding if I don’t like it. Trying new places is half the fun. 

I didn't make the rules here.    It's no different than choosing the banh mi.    Same sandwich, multiple possible meats.   It's a pretty specific sandwich (and if you don't get carne asada you're a sociopath anyway--and don't try to mention vegetarian options.  You're not getting a tofu torta).   

:thanks:  for spelling this correctly.  Switching the N and H is a common mistake. 
:lol:

...and I know you were referring to the torta, which I agree must be meat but I actually am getting the tofu Banh mi. We have a Vietnamese place here that makes them - with a "hot" option that comes with real finely diced hot peppers, not some Frank's BS, and it's absolutely my sandwich of choice at all times. 

For the PBJ fans, you should try Peanut Butter and Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) on plain white bread. It is like having a Peanut Butter Cup sandwich. Good toasted too.

Can't get much better than a corned beef special(corned beef, swiss, cole slaw, Thousand Island dressing on rye).

I think the perfect sandwich is some sort of Italian sub/grinder. Has to have the following

- hoagie roll
- duo or trio of select italian charcuturie. I'm thinking genoa salami, hot soppresata, and mortadella
- a good provolone
- shredded iceberg lettuce and red onion
- sliced tomato
- banana peppers or some other pickled pepper
- oil and vinegar
- salt and pepper

As far as sandwich construction goes, there are a few options. First, dip out a little bit of the bread. Shingle the cheese over the center/hinge of the roll, then the meat, then the peppers, then the tomato/lettuce/onion, and finally the oil/vinegar/salt/pepper. Fold/roll it all up and wrap in parchment paper.

It’s sandwich week in PDX…I’ll report back on Monday.

Starting off here: https://www.wonderboyssmokestack.com/

Bye…

Will be interesting to see what you find.

Portland is definitely lacking some good delis, particularly Italian and Jewish.

It seems like all the good Italian subs are made by pizza places here. Dimo’s and Red sauce make good ones. DeMarcos is good too but I don’t like how they build theirs almost like a taco. They are a very difficult to eat without taking out half the meat and toppings.

Bakers Mark is supposedly good but I have tried twice to order sandwiches there and both times they failed to deliver a sandwich so they are dead to me.

It’s sandwich week in PDX…I’ll report back on Monday.

Starting off here: https://www.wonderboyssmokestack.com/

Bye…

Will be interesting to see what you find.

Portland is definitely lacking some good delis, particularly Italian and Jewish.

It seems like all the good Italian subs are made by pizza places here. Dimo’s and Red sauce make good ones. DeMarcos is good too but I don’t like how they build theirs almost like a taco. They are a very difficult to eat without taking out half the meat and toppings.

Bakers Mark is supposedly good but I have tried twice to order sandwiches there and both times they failed to deliver a sandwich so they are dead to me.
That sandwich tonight was fantastic! 10/10!

Love Red Sauce. There’s a cart up by me on Lombard in the Chill n Fill parking lot, Piconnes. I’ve got the Italian sub and the chicken parm. both were great although the bread isn’t quite my style but still very good.

For those in the KC area or visiting from out of town, a stop by Fritz's at 435 and State Line would be recommended. Just across the parking lot from Gates, this may be the best sandwich and the best value in the country today. The Bette Rogers is BBQ brisket, ham, bacon, onions, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, mayo/mustard on a hoagie for around $7. Skip the fries and get a bag of chips to help pick up the sandwich drippings.

Lunch Menu

I'm not going to comment on the mutton part, but yes a slice or two of a ripe home grown tomato 🍅 can be a great part of almost any 🥪

Users who are viewing this thread