What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Khalil Shakir, BUF (1 Viewer)

Y'all can keep believing this guy ain't it Keep buying that other guy or a rookie.

If you can't watch, send Moulds a dm. Yes, he responded to me and I got access. Yes, that Moulds.
Can we get a summary?

Real talk. He's working out with Moulds, one of the best in Buffalo to ever do it. Moulds didn't break out his first year either.

I feel he's going to be the slot in Buffalo next year. The receiver you want to have in that offense.
Gabe means nothing except in best ball.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm curious to know what folks are thinking about Shakir. The first-round addition of TE Kincaid, on paper, feels like a blow to Shakir's volume, but TEs are notoriously slow to develop in the NFL.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm curious to know what folks are thinking about Shakir. The first-round addition of TE Kincaid, on paper, feels like a blow to Shakir's volume, but TEs are notoriously slow to develop in the NFL.
DK was definitely a blow to Shakir

Shakir's a solid hold or throw-in on dynasty deals unless you have small rosters. Talent finds a way.

Bills beat reporter Mark Gaughan writes, "Based on spring practices, [Khalil] Shakir is going to push hard for prime snaps in the Bills' three-receiver set, with Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis."

Shakir flashed at various points during his rookie campaign, finishing the regular season with 10 receptions for 161 yards and one touchdown. In the Bills' two playoff games, he would catch five of seven targets for 91 yards while being used primarily in a part-time role. A strong offseason for Shakir could lead to him serving as the Bills' primary slot receiver, a role he's more than familiar with dating back to his days at Boise State.
SOURCE: BuffaloNews.com
Jun 14, 2023, 7:13 PM ET

Last edited:
The Athletic’s Joe Buscaglia believes Khalil Shakir has fallen to fifth on the Bills’ receiver depth chart.

The second-year pro entered camp as the favorite for slot duties between Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis but has instead tumbled behind Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty. Not exactly imposing competition. It’s also bad news for the Bills, who will once again lack a legitimate third weapon in the receiver corps. It places more pressure on first-rounder Dalton Kincaid to make an instant impact. Harty was the primary slot man in Saturday’s preseason game against the Steelers.

• first 5 games: 4-40-0 on 5 targets
  • last 2 games: 4-35 & 6-92, caught all 10 targets he earned
IDK 93.33% catch rate on the season seems good, no?

Gonna be rough earning targets with Kincaid emerging, but at least he finally passed Sherfield in snaps (three straight games)

liked him coming out, last year seemed to be strictly developmental, hoping the light ball is coming on for him

• first 5 games: 4-40-0 on 5 targets
  • last 2 games: 4-35 & 6-92, caught all 10 targets he earned
IDK 93.33% catch rate on the season seems good, no?

Gonna be rough earning targets with Kincaid emerging, but at least he finally passed Sherfield in snaps (three straight games)

liked him coming out, last year seemed to be strictly developmental, hoping the light ball is coming on for him
I didn’t see the game and just wonder if it was more of a product of a Knox being out. Did Kincaid play in-line? Liked Shakir more than most coming out but had given up when they added Kincaid.

I believe he's fools gold.

yeah but you think that about everyone

;)

Def going to be hard for him to move past Gabe + Kincaid. Haven't seen snap counts or alignment data yet, but I suspect Kincaid was moe Inline this game and Shakir got more run than his typical 23-25 snaps in the Slot (when Knox was healthy, the rookie TE led the team in Slot WR snaps.)

IF THAT HOLDS TRUE - Kincaid's 2nd half sees him operate more as an Inline - then there is a path for more production from the Slot bc his snap counts will increase dramatically. Gabe is always inconsistent and there's a world where he continues to be the boom / bust deep threat but Shakir becomes more of a security blanket for Josh.

;)

Def going to be hard for him to move past Gabe + Kincaid. Haven't seen snap counts or alignment data yet, but I suspect Kincaid was moe Inline this game and Shakir got more run than his typical 23-25 snaps in the Slot (when Knox was healthy, the rookie TE led the team in Slot WR snaps.)

IF THAT HOLDS TRUE - Kincaid's 2nd half sees him operate more as an Inline - then there is a path for more production from the Slot bc his snap counts will increase dramatically. Gabe is always inconsistent and there's a world where he continues to be the boom / bust deep threat but Shakir becomes more of a security blanket for Josh.
The reason I said that is because there are too many other options ahead of him in the pecking order for him to be a flex start under normal circumstances. Don't you agree?

What happened to Harty? He provides separation and also has a high catch rate. He was very good as a receiver 2 years ago in NO.

;)

The reason I said that is because there are too many other options ahead of him in the pecking order for him to be a flex start under normal circumstances. Don't you agree?

Do these scenarios play out in perfectly linear fashion?

Of course what you are stating (which is rather obvious to anyone with a cursory understanding of football) is the likely outcome. I am proposing an alternative that is within the range of outcomes.

I'm trying to imagine how a fluid situation might play out. The Bills have been super inconsistent offensively and genuinely want/need a reliable number 2. They've said that publicly, recently. They know what they have in Gabe.

One thing of not was they ran much more 11 personnel as they had only 1 healthy tight end suited up.
So that gets Shakir on the field more.
Not sure the other right end is healthy enough to play next week. If not think 5 targets would be expected.

;)

Do these scenarios play out in perfectly linear fashion?

Of course what you are stating (which is rather obvious to anyone with a cursory understanding of football) is the likely outcome. I am proposing an alternative that is within the range of outcomes.

I'm trying to imagine how a fluid situation might play out. The Bills have been super inconsistent offensively and genuinely want/need a reliable number 2. They've said that publicly, recently. They know what they have in Gabe.
I just don't see it long term. That could change obviously. I suppose he is one of those guys to stash at the end of your bench in deep roster leagues; Somewhat like Sean Tucker.

Is there a changing of the guard here or is this just an anomaly?
He had 4 targets this week. He’s averaged 4 targets/week over the past 5 weeks, with a high of 6 and low of 2.
Probably not enough to generate consistency... Unless we think they're going to start giving him more work since he's been doing well with what they've given him so far
Should they? Yes. Will they? Meh.

What are the dynasty thoughts on Shakir?

Diggs is still playing at a high level as the alpha, but maybe not as high as in years past and he’ll be 31 next year. Will he want out if the season gets away and they miss the playoffs?

As for Davis, some other team is probably going to overpay him in free agency.

Have to think another WR weapon or two will be brought in, but could be a much bigger opportunity for Shakir next year.

Diggs is still playing at a high level as the alpha, but maybe not as high as in years past and he’ll be 31 next year. Will he want out if the season gets away and they miss the playoffs?

Have to think another WR weapon or two will be brought in, but could be a much bigger opportunity for Shakir next year.
I think he is a great dynasty prospect. I don’t see them being able to pay Davis, although I am not sure what price tag he will command around the league.

Anyone drafted is going to be below Shakir. I can’t see them being active for any top WR free agents, their cap situation is not great and they are pretty thin on D with a lot of aging players. I think they only have two DEs under contract for next year, one is Von Miller 😬

I think he is a great dynasty prospect. I don’t see them being able to pay Davis, although I am not sure what price tag he will command around the league.

Anyone drafted is going to be below Shakir. I can’t see them being active for any top WR free agents, their cap situation is not great and they are pretty thin on D with a lot of aging players. I think they only have two DEs under contract for next year, one is Von Miller 😬
Good thoughts. Regarding the bolded on Davis, never underestimate the demand for second tier WRs Seeing fairly decent money thrown at guys like Lazard and MVS, it stands to reason that Davis will be paid if there aren’t too many big names in UFA beyond Higgins.

The guy is a playmaker, hope he gets a chance for a larger role next year.
Agree and I think it's going to happen

Somebody will pay decent money for Gabe Davis and he will move on. Unless the Bills draft a WR early, I think Shakir will be the #2 behind Diggs and will put up the numbers that people have been expecting out of Davis. I like Davis and all, but Shakir just gets more separation and runs smoother routes.

Really impressive finish for the improving young wideout. He embodies the kind of football player you would love to have on your team. The kid sounds like a veteran when engaging with the media and seems to have a great work ethic. His game reminds me of ARSB’s in a way. I am not sure how it will shake out next year but I am keeping eye on what happens with the Buffalo receiving room and I would expect Shakir to make another step forward next season.

If Digg’s does get moved, a big opportunity open’s up for Shakir. I have been a big fan of his since his rookie year, would love to see him get a chance at more targets. His game reminds me a bit of ARSB’s, but Shakir has a little bit more speed.

If Digg’s does get moved, a big opportunity open’s up for Shakir. I have been a big fan of his since his rookie year, would love to see him get a chance at more targets. His game reminds me a bit of ARSB’s, but Shakir has a little bit more speed.
There is no way Buffalo goes in with him as their #1.. LOL

They will get a WR near or at the draft in a deal. Wouldn't be shocked if they also add BOYD.

They will get a WR near or at the draft in a deal. Wouldn't be shocked if they also add BOYD.
I do not think he is a number one, however I think he is talented enough to garner quite a few more targets. Adding Boyd (with Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid who all play majority inline) seems redundant.

I do not think he is a number one, however I think he is talented enough to garner quite a few more targets. Adding Boyd (with Samuel, Shakir, Kincaid who all play majority inline) seems redundant.
I think Shakir is viewed as a slot since they had Diggs and Davis playing outside. But he can play outside and will play outside with Samuel on board and Diggs and Davis gone.

he is listed as their #1 right now, Samuels is #2, with Shorter as #3... Nothing against those guys, but that is not a strong core for a team that was a missed FG from going to the AFC title game.

I def think he gets an uptick, but I am just saying their WR room is nowhere near set yet.

he is listed as their #1 right now, Samuels is #2, with Shorter as #3... Nothing against those guys, but that is not a strong core for a team that was a missed FG from going to the AFC title game.

I def think he gets an uptick, but I am just saying their WR room is nowhere near set yet.
Agreed - the team's window is closing (if not already) and I don't think the team will want to go into the season without a more meaningful replacement for the loss of Diggs.

Shakir has great hand/catch %
give him double last year and he'd have 90 targets, 78 catches, 1222 years and 4 TD"s ..

but he'll get more than that in targets IMO :) yes they'll add .... but they like Shakir

Maybe you misread my original post. All I am saying is it a big opportunity for Shakir and I think he will see more targets. The Bill’s will add more bodies in the draft but he will get more volume and has shown real playmaking ability. The Bill’s are not typically a team that puts a ton of trust in rookies right away (in particular receiver), so it will be interesting how they proceed.

Maybe you misread my original post. All I am saying is it a big opportunity for Shakir and I think he will see more targets. The Bill’s will add more bodies in the draft but he will get more volume and has shown real playmaking ability. The Bill’s are not typically a team that puts a ton of trust in rookies right away (in particular receiver), so it will be interesting how they proceed.

This, Shakir is the “veteran” bills WR in the locker room right now. Going into his third year and balling out the last 4-5 weeks with hyper talented / critical huge plays, kid has talent. Why can’t he be the 1?

Diggs is 6’0” and 191
Shakir is 6’0” and 190

Last edited:

This, Shakir is the “veteran” bills WR in the locker room right now. Going into his third year and balling out the last 4-5 weeks with hyper talented / critical huge plays, kid has talent. Why can’t he be the 1?

Diggs is 6’0” and 191
Shakir is 6’0” and 190
I posted because I really like his talent and think he is still being overlooked after the Digg’s trade. He has an opportunity to gain a lot more looks and I think he can deliver. I do think he is best in the slot which poses an issue as they have numerous players that play inline. He can play outside as well and I think they will move him around as he is an intelligent player. I imagine they draft a couple guys but Buffalo is typically slow to put too much on rookie receivers. As of today he is their number one and will have an increased opportunity to show what he can do. I also expect Kincaid’s role to increase dramatically in the intermediate passing game. Much depends on what is added to the roster but I am betting on Shakir to hit a 1000 yards this season.

Users who are viewing this thread