What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✈ 2015 NEW YORK JETS Thread (1 Viewer)

I think very early in the season, maybe even before the season, talking heads are gonna be rushing to tell us to look out for the Jets. It's gonna be very hip very quickly to talk up the Jets.

So many flashier moves in Miami and Buffalo, but I like SO many moves by the Jets better than anything those teams did.

It all comes down to Chan+Geno. Because if Chan can get some solid play from him, and I think that is very possible, they could contend for that division.

Just wanted to be able to bump this later, if I turn out to be right.

I think very early in the season, maybe even before the season, talking heads are gonna be rushing to tell us to look out for the Jets. It's gonna be very hip very quickly to talk up the Jets.

So many flashier moves in Miami and Buffalo, but I like SO many moves by the Jets better than anything those teams did.

It all comes down to Chan+Geno. Because if Chan can get some solid play from him, and I think that is very possible, they could contend for that division.

Just wanted to be able to bump this later, if I turn out to be right.
Yep. Although don't rule out the possibility of Fitz starting. Either way, all of the non QB positions look pretty good

Jets OC Chan Gailey said there will be no quarterback competition heading into training camp, and Geno Smith will "probably" be the starter Week 1.

This comes as a big surprise. Gailey essentially locked Smith in as his starter, basically saying there's no way Smith can lose the job in training camp. Gailey went on to say that Smith can "make every throw in the book." While Smith has plenty of talent, that hasn't been his problem; turnovers in bunches have been the issue his first two seasons in the league. It appears Ryan Fitzpatrick will open the summer as a distant No. 2 to Smith, who will have to face-plant to lose the gig.

Related: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
May 20 - 2:55 PM
What's the benefit to announcing this now? I guess one could argue that it gives Geno confidence, but why not make it an open competition?

Sips some tea....

Jets OC Chan Gailey said there will be no quarterback competition heading into training camp, and Geno Smith will "probably" be the starter Week 1.

This comes as a big surprise. Gailey essentially locked Smith in as his starter, basically saying there's no way Smith can lose the job in training camp. Gailey went on to say that Smith can "make every throw in the book." While Smith has plenty of talent, that hasn't been his problem; turnovers in bunches have been the issue his first two seasons in the league. It appears Ryan Fitzpatrick will open the summer as a distant No. 2 to Smith, who will have to face-plant to lose the gig.

What's the benefit to announcing this now? I guess one could argue that it gives Geno confidence, but why not make it an open competition?
IMO it's the right thing to do.... Chan can always go back to Fitz.. Geno has the better upside and needs the reps.

he's competing with himself, either he looks good out of the box or they move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. See what he can do without looking over his shoulder. Gailey knows what Fitzpatrick can do, if needed. And he only said "probably". I don't think this rises to "big surprise" status.

I agree. See what he can do without looking over his shoulder. Gailey knows what Fitzpatrick can do, if needed. And he only said "probably". I don't think this rises to "big surprise" status.
He also said "there will be no quarterback competition". I just don't see the upside of a new regime coming in and just handing the job to a guy that frankly hasn't shown that he deserves the deference.

I see it as more of a challenge than deference. Just because there is no official open competition doesn't mean Geno gets to start if he is not playing up to the necessary level going into the season.

He also said "there will be no quarterback competition". I just don't see the upside of a new regime coming in and just handing the job to a guy that frankly hasn't shown that he deserves the deference.
I think they looked at Tape and frankly disagree with you...

I've been enjoying watching the games over with Coaches view.... When you watch a game live you react from the results and the QB becomes a piece of #### when things go wrong.... When you go back and watch again you can count the things that went wrong all over the field.

I'll never guarantee anything for a Project / developing QB but, the Jets offense the past 4 years has had major issues up and down and IMO the WCO was a mess and should never ever ever be incorporated using a rookie project QB with no weapons....

Veterans say it takes years to learn and get on page with weapons yet we had a project QB trying to run it with Zero continuity or talent around him - Just silly.

Pretty sure these guys studied the games and felt like there was no need to outright panic and do whatever it takes to get rid of Geno like many ppl believed. Also Year 1 with the new regime - plus not too many slam dunk option out there once top 2 QB's were out of reach and FA market sucked... After this year you just may see an all out desperate move for a QB.

IMO, we will just now get to see Geno run a competent offense / system / talent. Everything else was a dumpster fire all around.

I've been enjoying watching the games over with Coaches view.... When you watch a game live you react from the results and the QB becomes a piece of #### when things go wrong.... When you go back and watch again you can count the things that went wrong all over the field.

I'll never guarantee anything for a Project / developing QB but, the Jets offense the past 4 years has had major issues up and down and IMO the WCO was a mess and should never ever ever be incorporated using a rookie project QB with no weapons....

Veterans say it takes years to learn and get on page with weapons yet we had a project QB trying to run it with Zero continuity or talent around him - Just silly.

Pretty sure these guys studied the games and felt like there was no need to outright panic and do whatever it takes to get rid of Geno like many ppl believed. Also Year 1 with the new regime - plus not too many slam dunk option out there once top 2 QB's were out of reach and FA market sucked... After this year you just may see an all out desperate move for a QB.

IMO, we will just now get to see Geno run a competent offense / system / talent. Everything else was a dumpster fire all around.
None of what you said, contradicts anything I've said. I'm not saying to totally give up on Geno but, even with all of those excuses, he hasn't show that he deserves to be handed the job without any competition.

I realize when all is said and done, anointing Geno the starter in May means very little - but one of the biggest criticisms about how they handled Sanchez was never bringing in real competition to challenge him. I'd like to see the Amish Rifle be given a fair shot to win the job.

None of what you said, contradicts anything I've said. I'm not saying to totally give up on Geno but, even with all of those excuses, he hasn't show that he deserves to be handed the job without any competition.

I realize when all is said and done, anointing Geno the starter in May means very little - but one of the biggest criticisms about how they handled Sanchez was never bringing in real competition to challenge him. I'd like to see the Amish Rifle be given a fair shot to win the job.
My biggest criticism with how they handled Sanchez was never giving him any kind of real talent at WR. He never had a chance. A seasoned vet might have made Holmes/Edwards/Cotchery/Keller (etc) work, but not a kid.

In terms of competition, you don't trade up and draft a guy at #5, call him the Sanchize, then challenge him to earn the job year 2 / year 3. You instead build around and support him.

Again, Sanchez never had a chance, and Geno so far never really had a chance either. New regime - now we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Except they aren't excuses - they are facts.

Kinda like saying a MLB hitter hasn't show #### even though he's forced to face 90+ mph pitches with a broom.

I even watched Fitz games last year... and yeah, Foster was ripping off huge runs, 1600 total yards with Hopkins and AJ making the catches Geno's crew was not. Fitz looked "ok" put up "ok" numbers.... he'll be there once he's healthy if we need to settle for THAT.

And yeah, I thought that was BS about Sanchez too... forget about getting competition - how about getting and keeping a consistent set of weapons and supporting the kid to see if he can take the next step...

ppl acted as if Sanchez and/or Geno need "a push".... both of these guys have and are working their ###'s off... Support them then judge them properly in the context of a competitive offense.

Oh ETA... Watching HOU games made me realize how good A Foster still looks... did a few drafts so far and I even passed him up for McCoy.... That won't happen again....

My biggest criticism with how they handled Sanchez was never giving him any kind of real talent at WR. He never had a chance. A seasoned vet might have made Holmes/Edwards/Cotchery/Keller (etc) work, but not a kid.

In terms of competition, you don't trade up and draft a guy at #5, call him the Sanchize, then challenge him to earn the job year 2 / year 3. You instead build around and support him.

Again, Sanchez never had a chance, and Geno so far never really had a chance either. New regime - now we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic.
EXACTLY......

I used to put most of the blame for Sanchez's failures on Brian Schottenheimer (maybe like 80%). After he left, I came to realize it was more like 50/50.

The Jets didn't do mark any favors. Constant roster turnover, HORRENDOUS play calling, bringing in Tebow (any football person who didn't adamantly protest that move would NEVER work for my franchise) 2 horrible offensive coordinators.

That being said, Mark compounded the roster/coaching staff's faults with disgusting ball security and unbelievably bad decision making. I actually think he's a real good guy and I believe that everything that happened really bothered him, so I don't want to trash him too badly. But he was a very big part of his own failures. The kid made high school level mistakes once the wheels started coming off.

I used to put most of the blame for Sanchez's failures on Brian Schottenheimer (maybe like 80%). After he left, I came to realize it was more like 50/50.

The Jets didn't do mark any favors. Constant roster turnover, HORRENDOUS play calling, bringing in Tebow (any football person who didn't adamantly protest that move would NEVER work for my franchise) 2 horrible offensive coordinators.

That being said, Mark compounded the roster/coaching staff's faults with disgusting ball security and unbelievably bad decision making. I actually think he's a real good guy and I believe that everything that happened really bothered him, so I don't want to trash him too badly. But he was a very big part of his own failures. The kid made high school level mistakes once the wheels started coming off.
I get the feeling that the last few years (Tanny/Idzik/Rex) were almost a slippery slope of inevitable failure that bordered on comical. Sanchez's regression was a part of that - the entire franchise regressed from those two championship games. We can't totally excuse his decision making, but it was likely at least partially due to his environment. He showed enough last year in PHI that he's not a lost cause, and probably never was.

The Problem starts with this.....

Both Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith were Project QB's that should never have seen the field in year 1!!!

Pete Carrol knew... I wanted no part of Sanchez in round 1 - then they Trade up to get him at 6 like he's the next Peyton...

At least Geno was a 2nd round pick... Probably closer to where Sanchez deserved to go.

After you make the decision to over draft a QB then compound it by throwing them on the field ASAP then compound that with lousy talent.... You're left where we are again today hoping to do the right thing, wipe the slate clean and salvage a Career.

IMO, anyone who tries to declare a QB in one of those situations a Bust in year 2 is doing so with incomplete data with project QB's.

I get the feeling that the last few years (Tanny/Idzik/Rex) were almost a slippery slope of inevitable failure that bordered on comical. Sanchez's regression was a part of that - the entire franchise regressed from those two championship games. We can't totally excuse his decision making, but it was likely at least partially due to his environment. He showed enough last year in PHI that he's not a lost cause, and probably never was.
Tanny really banked on Stephen Hill turning into Calvin Johnson.....

Funny but, if Hill became what Tanny dreamed and Gholston was a legit pass rusher, it would have made a huge difference.

Those 2 picks alone were back breakers....

Maybe this is the whole purpose behind the decision... Geno has everything he needs to succeed at this point: good line, good WRs, full staff support, solid D that can keep games close... absolutely no excuses whatsoever... this creates an all or nothing / sink or swim situation for him.

What do Jets homers think of Devin Smith for dynasty? He is still available at pick 2.10 in my 12 team ppr dynasty rookie draft. Fbg experts consensus has him ranked at 12 overall.

An early 2nd round pick for them, he seems like a Mike Wallace kind of wr. Weak QB play may make him a slow development project.

What do Jets homers think of Devin Smith for dynasty? He is still available at pick 2.10 in my 12 team ppr dynasty rookie draft. Fbg experts consensus has him ranked at 12 overall.

An early 2nd round pick for them, he seems like a Mike Wallace kind of wr. Weak QB play may make him a slow development project.
I like him as a NFL player, but not sure he'll be a great fantasy asset (at least not right away). I think he'll be used to stretch the field opening up the underneath for Decker and Marshall. Long term he does project into a Mike Wallace type player, but it could be frustrating owning him until he reaches even that level.

I said the same thing when they drafted Richardson (and obviously that has turned out just fine) but its just frustrating to spend ANOTHER pick on a front 7 guy. Drafting a guy who MIGHT become as good as Wilkerson at least partially because Wilkerson is ready to get (rightfully) paid just doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

At this point (we're now at pick # 24), trading Wilkerson for anything realistic makes the team worse for next year.
I'm kind of feeling the same thing. It will be one crazy good DL though so there is that
It was already a crazy good D line. What are the odds that Williams becomes a BETTER player than Wilkerson? (assuming they eventually trade him) 10%?
Yeah, I'm good.. I'm always good with BPA. To me you nail the Pro Bowl player above all else...

But, I just hope this doesn't become a thing with Mo.... A Hold out, contract dispute garbage.

Get them all on the field, rotating fresh and killing QB's and see what Bowles can do and I'm fine....

Now WR or OL in round 2.. Randy Gregory????..lol
OK... So here we go with MO.....

Sounds like now it's inevitable that he'll be gone at some point.... So that SUCKS.

Either you needed to get value for that Draft pick or you need to get top value for MO at some point - Ugggghhhh...

Shows you just how tight the NFL cap it tho - Jets are a team not paying a QB and still need to make huge decisions. Revis got Mo's money.

You look at teams like the Pats and you realize player turnover must happen - It's solid drafting and finding the right cheap replacements.

While I get and embrace the turnover part - what really sucks is that, talent aside, Mo is a leader and the type of guy you want to have as an anchor on you D....

IMO every Jets fan should read this article at least 3x...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495103/article/can-geno-smith-quarterback-new-york-jets-into-2015-playoffs?campaign=twitter_writers_brooks

Awesome illustration of where Geno is and what plays could be staples of the Jets....

IMO, Gailey loves what he's seen in Geno and his potential otherwise he wouldn't waste his time and he'd be pretty blunt about it...

I think he knows if Fitz is the starter, the ceiling is pretty much capped and you get what you get - he sees more in Geno.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000495103/article/can-geno-smith-quarterback-new-york-jets-into-2015-playoffs?campaign=twitter_writers_brooks

Awesome illustration of where Geno is and what plays could be staples of the Jets....

IMO, Gailey loves what he's seen in Geno and his potential otherwise he wouldn't waste his time and he'd be pretty blunt about it...

I think he knows if Fitz is the starter, the ceiling is pretty much capped and you get what you get - he sees more in Geno.
This paragraph is what concerns me about Geno:

During his first two seasons with the Jets, Smith certainly has been an inconsistent playmaker from the pocket. He has mixed a handful of brilliant moments with a number of boneheaded mistakes that lead to questions about judgment and awareness. Smith has surrendered 41 giveaways (34 interceptions and seven lost fumbles) in 30 appearances (29 starts), showing a propensity to turn the ball over when attempting to improvise outside of the pocket. Smith routinely throws the ball up for grabs at the end of scrambles, resulting in costly turnovers at inopportune times. While some of his mistakes can be blamed on the Jets' leaky pass protection, the fact that he has consistently put the ball in harm's way is a major concern.
I do think the scheme and added weapons can work in his favor - I hope so at least. I do agree with the positive aspects of his skill set fleshed out in that article as well. That's what makes his poor decisions all the more frustrating. Some of that can be blamed on being young and inexperienced, but frankly even a college QB shouldn't throw the ball up for grabs under extreme pressure and should just eat it or get it out of bounds.

I'm hoping he clearly beats out Fitzpatrick in camp and preseason, but if his "football IQ" doesn't translate onto the field and he still makes bonehead mistakes, they need to pull the plug early. The defense is too good to waste on a QB that will constantly put them in bad field position or even worse give the other team points.

This paragraph is what concerns me about Geno:

During his first two seasons with the Jets, Smith certainly has been an inconsistent playmaker from the pocket. He has mixed a handful of brilliant moments with a number of boneheaded mistakes that lead to questions about judgment and awareness. Smith has surrendered 41 giveaways (34 interceptions and seven lost fumbles) in 30 appearances (29 starts), showing a propensity to turn the ball over when attempting to improvise outside of the pocket. Smith routinely throws the ball up for grabs at the end of scrambles, resulting in costly turnovers at inopportune times. While some of his mistakes can be blamed on the Jets' leaky pass protection, the fact that he has consistently put the ball in harm's way is a major concern.
I do think the scheme and added weapons can work in his favor - I hope so at least. I do agree with the positive aspects of his skill set fleshed out in that article as well. That's what makes his poor decisions all the more frustrating. Some of that can be blamed on being young and inexperienced, but frankly even a college QB shouldn't throw the ball up for grabs under extreme pressure and should just eat it or get it out of bounds.

I'm hoping he clearly beats out Fitzpatrick in camp and preseason, but if his "football IQ" doesn't translate onto the field and he still makes bonehead mistakes, they need to pull the plug early. The defense is too good to waste on a QB that will constantly put them in bad field position or even worse give the other team points.
I watched an interview of Geno before the Jets drafted him and wasn't at all impressed. In the interview he was given a play with 4 options. Its been a few years and I don't remember them exactly, but lets say the primary WR was #1, second WR was the #2, the TE was the 3rd option and running it out of bounds was the last option on the play. After he was showed the play he was asked one or two quick fluff questions about leadership, work ethic, etc. After he gave canned, cliche' responses he was asked to repeat the options of the play he was given. After the #1 option, he responded with running it out of bounds as his 2nd option. In less than 60 seconds he forgot he even had a #2 and #3 option, let alone what those options were.

In my opinion, he's not making boneheaded mistakes because he's young and inexperienced. I think he's making these mistakes because he just can't fully absorb a professional play-book; can't remember his reads. Everything I see from Geno now is reflective of what I saw in that interview 2-3 years ago. He might have some talent, but IMO he just doesn't have the cognitive capacity to string it all together, get it to click and succeed at this level.

Now you've got a new coach, a new play book.... it's back to square 1 again. Throw in that youth and inexperience on top of it... I have no hope for this guy. Unless they really simplify the plays and/or have him run it if his first option isn't there, I don't see Geno holding off Fitz for very long.

Im hoping Geno takes a step this year and just stops making the dumb mistakes....if he merely can be a caretaker of ball control ala Sanchez during his playoff runs, this team will be in the playoffs. I am expecting more of the same though and I think it will be another up and down mediocre fest with Fitz getting the job at some point.

Interesting quote by FBG writer Cian Feely

"Fitzpatrick was benched by the Texans for Ryan Mallett and he deserved to be. The Harvard graduate continues to be one of the worst decision makers in the NFL."

Doesn't say much for SI Fantasy Football's magazine to be honest. I mean Bryce Petty has (almost) literally zero 2015 value.

Smith has some fantasy upside in a Gailey offense with the new added weapons and his ability on the ground. I'm not saying anyone that chooses not to draft him is making some huge mistake, but he has to at least be considered as an "upside" QB2 for teams that secure a Manning, Rodgers or Luck early.

NFL suspended Jets DL Sheldon Richardson four games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.
"I apologize for letting down my family, teammates, this organization and the fans," Richardson said in a statement. With the Jets on bye in Week 5, Richardson won't make his season debut until Oct. 18 against the Redskins. It's a massive blow for Todd Bowles' defense, as Richardson will miss contests against the Browns, Colts, Eagles and Dolphins. Alongside an equally-dominant Mo Wilkerson, Richardson was one of the league's best defenders last season. His absence will ramp up the pressure on No. 6 overall pick Leonard Williams.

:(

Can't say I'm shocked. At least they spent the 6th pick in the draft on a replacement.

95% chance it's weed, which is obviously a silly rule in 2015

Richardson gone for 4 games is a big hole.

That's gonna leave a mark.

Awful news. You're really looking to rotate and dominate with the Williams pick, not just hoping for him to fill in for an All-Pro. This means more pressure on Geno w/out a perfect set of weapons.

Awesome to see Wilkerson showing up to camp. With Richardson out and the perceived slight of not having a deal done yet, nobody would blame him for holding out for leverage.

The guy is just a class act and seems to really want to be a long-term Jet. THESE are the actions of a guy who doesn't want to leave (in case Revis doesn't recognize them)

Looks like Richardson is trying to make the Jets' decision to sign Wilkerson easier. Getting the feeling that Richardson might become one of those "could have been" players. Horrible decisions.

I have to imagine they'll be tacking on at least another 4 games to his current drug suspension. Maybe he's even done for the year. What a ####### moron.

Oh for goodness' sake. I was just coming into say I love when this thread gets bumped and come to find out Richardson is fleeing the cops doing 140 MPH and resisting arrest.

Time to sign Wilkerson.

eta* Oh, Christ, it gets worse. He fled the cops after street racing, shut the lights off, blew a red light, pulled into a driveway, and got caught with a loaded semi-automatic weapon in the passenger side of the car, smelled like weed, and had a -- get this -- twelve-year-old in the car.

FFS. http://nypost.com/2015/07/30/jets-sheldon-richardson-arrested-for-fleeing-cops-at-143-mph/

If I'm Woody, I'm looking into the Greatest penalties available all the way up to Cutting Him Today......

Sounds drastic but, you can't rely on him and trade value is shot..... You drafted a stud DL - Move on and set the Bar for the Team...

You think this guy is going to stay straight all of a sudden - No, he'll get busted again right when you need him most - Move on.

CUT THIS JACK@#@!#%* I was fed up when he had to fail FOUR drug tests to get the 4 games.....

DONE - CLEAN OUT YOUR LOCKER MORON.

He has been good enough where he should still have enough value to trade instead of cut. Plus, he is suspended for the beginning of the season so there isn't a real rush to get rid of him. I would wait until this dies down a little and then try to trade him. No way would I give him a long term extension, but I don't think cutting him outright is the smart move either.

He has been good enough where he should still have enough value to trade instead of cut. Plus, he is suspended for the beginning of the season so there isn't a real rush to get rid of him. I would wait until this dies down a little and then try to trade him. No way would I give him a long term extension, but I don't think cutting him outright is the smart move either.
Maybe not but, it Sets a great tone....

Plus what's his value???? A team can't give a 1st rounder.... So, a 3rd????

Does his value go up??? I don't think so, like you said you can't pay him long term so, His value is a Great But Unreliable player and nothing can really change that....

ppl think GM's are gonna forget? Some other Gm gives him a Long term extension you just said "No way" to???? It's the GM's job not to forget - He is what he is... I'll take a 3rd rounder.

For a 3rd rounder though Cutting him makes much more of a statement for a new Front office.

So, While drastic - Cutting him has to be on the table

I can't see cutting a young pro bowl caliber DT who's playing on a cheap contract even if he is an idiot.

I honestly don't see cutting him either. What I think you do is hope he turns his life around with serious counseling and psychiatric care (considering he said he had had a "really dark time" in his life over the off-season).

Guys can fall really really fast. I remember Odell Thurman with the Bengals - he was a finalist for Defensive Rookie of the Year after the Bengals drafted him in the 2nd round in '05 (Side note - jeez that was TEN years ago?!?). Then got into trouble upon trouble with suspension after suspension and never played in the NFL again. Bengals cut him a month after his reinstatement as he wasn't "getting it".

Nobody else in the NFL gave him a chance - he ended up toiling in the UFL (go Florida Tuskers!).

Richardson seems like he might be heading the same way which would be a sad waste.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread