What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1.01 Rookie Pick Sankey or Watkins or other? Discuss (1 Viewer)

It's true that the league has changed, but I would think that the league changes would only further favor the wide receivers.
I think the opposite. Rerun your analysis, but this time, instead of "RBs picked between 49 and 59", say "the first running back drafted". The market hasn't just changed a little. The top free agent running backs didn't get paid squat. The first running back didn't go until the late second. That may be an indication of the talent available, or it may be an indication of the market. The flaw in your analysis is that using draft slot heavily biases the analysis with the assumption that it's an indication of the talent available.

Moreover, just because Watkins is an elite WR prospect, who cares? If you polled their current owners, you'd find out that there are dozens of top ten dynasty receivers. Watkins might belong in that pack - he might even be at the head of that pack - but he's in a crappy situation. Name the cold weather receivers in the modern era who put up elite fantasy seasons without a HoF quarterback. It's a pretty short list. AJ Green counts, I suppose. So does Braylon Edwards. I'm not sure if that's good or bad news for Watkins. But the point remains that looking ONLY at the draft position of a wide receiver to determine future success without considering their QB or weather situations is flawed.

And while I fully understand that teams can change quickly in the NFL, my concern is that Manuel is good enough to keep that job, but not good enough to make Watkins a contender as the #1 receiver in FF. And that's my real issue. He might flirt with top ten, but lots of guys can lay claim to that over the next few years. I don't know if that's good enough to command the 1.1 pick.
Agree with Fred here. Appreciate the stats Adam but times have changed. Making a comparison of VDB with the first running back taken is a better context IMO.
Why would that be a better context? Rahim Moore was the first safety taken in his class in 2011 (taken 45th overall). Do you think he was as good of a prospect as Eric Berry and Earl Thomas, the top two safeties in the 2010 draft (taken 5th and 14th overall)?
It wouldn't be a better context in a vacuum. But it wouldn't be a worse context, either. The context you used - draft position - is deeply flawed if you choose to use it in a vacuum. That doesn't mean it's not useful to look at either, but it's fundamentally wrong to look at just one or the other.

Some people think that Watkins will be a top 10 NFL WR in a few years. That's debatable, but no one is saying that Sankey will be a top 10 RB.
I don't want a top ten WR. I already have eleven of them. And so does everybody else. Seriously, which of these guys is NOT a potential top ten WR in your mind?AJ Green

Calvin Johnson

Josh Gordon

Dez Bryant

Julio Jones

Demaryius Thomas

Alshon Jeffrey

Randall Cobb

Keenan Allen

Cordarelle Patterson

Brandon Marshall

Antonio Bryant

Sammy Watkins

Jordy Nelson

Michael Floyd

Percy Harvin

Pierre Garcon

DeAndre Hopkins

Mike Evans

Victor Cruz

Michael Crabtree

Larry Fitzgerald

Jordan Mathews

Marquise Lee

Odell Beckham Jr.

Brandon Cooks

Kelvin Benjamin

And that's not including guys like Roddy White, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, Kendall Wright, Justin Blackmon, Justin Hunter, T.Y. Hilton, and more.

If you're taking Watkins number one overall because you think he might be a top ten WR in a few years, that's not a very good reason these days. Top ten receivers are a dime a dozen.

Some people think that Watkins will be a top 10 NFL WR in a few years. That's debatable, but no one is saying that Sankey will be a top 10 RB.
I don't want a top ten WR. I already have eleven of them. And so does everybody else. Seriously, which of these guys is NOT a potential top ten WR in your mind?AJ Green

Calvin Johnson

Josh Gordon

Dez Bryant

Julio Jones

Demaryius Thomas

Alshon Jeffrey

Randall Cobb

Keenan Allen

Cordarelle Patterson

Brandon Marshall

Antonio Bryant

Sammy Watkins

Jordy Nelson

Michael Floyd

Percy Harvin

Pierre Garcon

DeAndre Hopkins

Mike Evans

Victor Cruz

Michael Crabtree

Larry Fitzgerald

Jordan Mathews

Marquise Lee

Odell Beckham Jr.

Brandon Cooks

Kelvin Benjamin

And that's not including guys like Roddy White, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, Kendall Wright, Justin Blackmon, Justin Hunter, T.Y. Hilton, and more.

If you're taking Watkins number one overall because you think he might be a top ten WR in a few years, that's not a very good reason these days. Top ten receivers are a dime a dozen.
Now you are throwing "potential" in the discussion. Watkins is MUCH more likely to become a top ten player at his position than Sankey.

We can debate this all day - but Watkins is (overall) more talented than Sankey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calvin Johnson

Josh Gordon

Dez Bryant

Julio Jones

Demaryius Thomas

Alshon Jeffrey

Randall Cobb

Keenan Allen

Cordarelle Patterson

Brandon Marshall

Antonio Bryant

Sammy Watkins

Jordy Nelson

Michael Floyd

Percy Harvin

Pierre Garcon

DeAndre Hopkins

Mike Evans

Victor Cruz

Michael Crabtree

Larry Fitzgerald

Jordan Mathews

Marquise Lee

Odell Beckham Jr.

Brandon Cooks

Kelvin Benjamin

Antonio Bryant.

Depends on the league. I play in a start 3-4 WR league and the WRs above will not be traded unless you are willing to overpay. Everyone is always looking for a young WR.

It's true that the league has changed, but I would think that the league changes would only further favor the wide receivers.
I think the opposite. Rerun your analysis, but this time, instead of "RBs picked between 49 and 59", say "the first running back drafted". The market hasn't just changed a little. The top free agent running backs didn't get paid squat. The first running back didn't go until the late second. That may be an indication of the talent available, or it may be an indication of the market. The flaw in your analysis is that using draft slot heavily biases the analysis with the assumption that it's an indication of the talent available.

Moreover, just because Watkins is an elite WR prospect, who cares? If you polled their current owners, you'd find out that there are dozens of top ten dynasty receivers. Watkins might belong in that pack - he might even be at the head of that pack - but he's in a crappy situation. Name the cold weather receivers in the modern era who put up elite fantasy seasons without a HoF quarterback. It's a pretty short list. AJ Green counts, I suppose. So does Braylon Edwards. I'm not sure if that's good or bad news for Watkins. But the point remains that looking ONLY at the draft position of a wide receiver to determine future success without considering their QB or weather situations is flawed.

And while I fully understand that teams can change quickly in the NFL, my concern is that Manuel is good enough to keep that job, but not good enough to make Watkins a contender as the #1 receiver in FF. And that's my real issue. He might flirt with top ten, but lots of guys can lay claim to that over the next few years. I don't know if that's good enough to command the 1.1 pick.
People are quick to blame the devaluation of RBs on "the market". Personally, I think it's just more a matter that RBs entering the league recently have sucked, comparatively speaking. The only phenomenal prospect in recent years, Trent Richardson, still commanded a top-10 pick *AND* another first a year later.

Three years ago, if you weighted RBs by production, the average back in the NFL was about 2.5 years younger than he is today. You know what that tells me? The guys who have entered the league in the last three years have been spectacularly unproductive relative to the guys who entered the league more than 3 years ago. Are RBs less valuable today? Maybe a little, but more than that, we've just had a dearth of really quality prospects entering the league. Just witness what happened after the 2008 NFL draft and arguably the most talented RB crop the league has ever seen.

Anyway, I think emphasizing situation SO MUCH over talent in the rookie draft is a losing recipe. Situation changes, especially over the timescale we're looking at when it comes to rookie development. Who knows what the league will look like 3 years from now, when these guys are becoming fantasy cornerstones for the teams that drafted them.
Good post Adam. And you're absolutely right that taking a non-elite talent at running back is a risky move. I want to be clear that I'm not strictly advocating taking Sankey over Watkins. I'm just saying that it's not as much of a slam dunk as people seem to think. Sankey "should" be successful based on his ability and that O line. And that "should" lead to him having career longevity. The Titans thought he was good enough to take him over any other running back in this class, but that might not be saying much. But when you look at mid round talents like Rice and McCoy, they weren't considered elite prospects, they were a little undersized, and they were put in good situations where they could succeed, that seems to be the model we're looking for. It doesn't mean it has a high success rate, but the truth of the matter is that good guys in good situations are rare and expensive commodities in fantasy football right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. I'd much rather have Adrian Peterson but Adrian Peterson's just don't come around that often. Even the last guy compared to Adrian Peterson - Trent Richardson - or the one before him - Darren McFadden - have risk associated with them.

As for your "how many receivers have elite seasons in cold locations without HoF quarterbacks", well, that's necessarily going to be a pretty small number because you added so many qualifiers to the list. I mean, how many cold weather teams are there? Green Bay, Chicago, the Jets, the Giants, the Pats, Denver, the Eagles, the Steelers, and the Bills are the ones that come to mind. Immediately remove everyone from the Giants, Packers, Pats, Steelers, and recent Broncos teams because of the "HoF QB" requirement, and you're looking at maybe 15% of the receivers in the league that would qualify. But, to answer it anyway: Terrell Owens, Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, A.J. Green, Santana Moss, Chad Ochocinco, DeSean Jackson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Percy Harvin, Lee Evans, Rod Smith, Eddie McCaffrey, Javon Walker, Amani Toomer, probably some others I'm overlooking. And the entire question creates a false dilemma- even if you like Sammy Watkins, the default solution is not necessarily "draft Sankey, instead". There are a lot of other choices at #1 that don't involve reaching on a late-2nd-round RB.
I don't think it's any more unfairly restrictive a selection criteria than "running backs selected between the 49th and 59th picks". And I happen to think it's more relevant, even though there are some guys who have succeeded in the conditions I've discussed.

Javon Walker doesn't really fit that criteria, since he played his best ball with Favre. Rod Smith and Eddie McCaffrey played most of their good football with Elway, but they had a couple decent seasons with Plummer. Which leaves the rest of them. AJ Green is certainly the comparable that Watkins owners are rooting for. Marshall and maybe Jeffrey are favorable comparables, too. But the other guys you mentioned are exactly what I'm talking about. Santana Moss was an elite prospect who was never a fantasy stud. DeSean Jackson just flirted with stud WR status but hasn't been a dominant player. Terrell Owens had just one good season in a cold weather city, doing most of his damage in San Fran and Dallas. And all of those guys had injury issues during the cold weather portions of his career. Is that related to cold weather? Who knows. But it happened. Ochocinco was very good but never a fantasy difference maker. Lee Evans? Ugh. Braylon Edwards seemed to be an elite talent, but disappeared after his big season. Maybe he just didn't have the love for the game because he played in a sucky city in the cold for a losing team. That's a legitimate risk for a dude going to Buffalo.

My point isn't that Watkins will crash and burn entirely. I have no idea what will happen, and I'm not good enough at talent evaluation to tell you whether this guy who is the best WR prospect in forever is better or worse than that guy who is the best WR prospect in forever. My point is just that the odds don't seem to favor him putting up truly elite numbers with a non elite QB in a cold weather city. And if we're not talking about a potentially elite player or any assurance of a long career of high end fantasy value, then I'd rather have the more valuable running back.

What is the possibilty of Watkins and Sankey to improve their game?
What is the track record for the HC OC and positional coaches ability to develop players?

Lastly what running system will they be running in Tenn? and does it suit Sankey?

In the longterm, talent > opportunity.

Go with Watkins (or Evans).

Sankey is #3.
Hey baby face - what if my team is STACKED with WRs? Should I still go and draft for the long-term just because a WRs career is longer?? What if I already have 4 good WRs? Should I still blindly take Sammy or Evans above Sankey???

I say go RB!

Hey bostonfred, good post. I think that overall sets have peaks and valleys in value. I still can't endorse Sankey as a top pick when I am not sure that he is any good. I prefer taking the better talent (Watkins, Evans) with the (relative) assurance that he will be more likely to be producing in 3-5 years. Who knows where Sankey will be in 3-5 years??

I am! Sankey will be a top 10 NFL RB in 2 years!!!!

I think in most leagues the real question is at #3 - Sankey, Matthews, Cooks, Lee, Ebron.

Not that it's the subject matter here but Watkins and Evans are going 1-2 almost every time.
Yeah, I pick at #3 in my rookie draft and am already scratching my head. Cooks, Sankey and Ebron are all looking pretty good.

Hey bostonfred, good post. I think that overall sets have peaks and valleys in value. I still can't endorse Sankey as a top pick when I am not sure that he is any good. I prefer taking the better talent (Watkins, Evans) with the (relative) assurance that he will be more likely to be producing in 3-5 years. Who knows where Sankey will be in 3-5 years??

I am! Sankey will be a top 10 NFL RB in 2 years!!!!
you are one of the very few.

Good luck with that.

Here's every receiver drafted in the top 10 between 1990 and 2010. There are 28 receivers in the sample.

16 were starters for at least 5 years

23 were starters for at least 3 years

10 surpassed 50 career AV

19 surpassed 30 career AV

12 made at least one pro bowl

6 made at least one first-team AP All Pro squad

In total, they have made 39 pro bowls and counting (1.4 per player)

In total, they have made 11 All Pro teams and counting (0.4 per player)

Here's every RB drafted from pick 49 to pick 59 between 1990 and 2010. There are 20 RBs in the sample.

3 were starters for at least 5 years

6 were starters for at least 3 years

2 surpassed 50 career AV

6 surpassed 30 career AV

4 made at least one pro bowl

only 1 was ever named first-team AP All Pro

In total, they have made 7 career pro bowls and counting (0.35 per player)

In total, they have made 2 All Pro teams and counting (0.1 per player)

I think you are skewing the results to your favor. How about running it using the first RB selected in the draft instead of draft position.

Here's every receiver drafted in the top 10 between 1990 and 2010. There are 28 receivers in the sample.

Here's every RB drafted from pick 49 to pick 59 between 1990 and 2010. There are 20 RBs in the sample.

2 surpassed 50 career AV

6 surpassed 30 career AV

I think you are skewing the results to your favor. How about running it using the first RB selected in the draft instead of draft position.
What he said!

bostonfred said:
I don't think it's any more unfairly restrictive a selection criteria than "running backs selected between the 49th and 59th picks". And I happen to think it's more relevant, even though there are some guys who have succeeded in the conditions I've discussed.Javon Walker doesn't really fit that criteria, since he played his best ball with Favre. Rod Smith and Eddie McCaffrey played most of their good football with Elway, but they had a couple decent seasons with Plummer. Which leaves the rest of them. AJ Green is certainly the comparable that Watkins owners are rooting for. Marshall and maybe Jeffrey are favorable comparables, too. But the other guys you mentioned are exactly what I'm talking about. Santana Moss was an elite prospect who was never a fantasy stud. DeSean Jackson just flirted with stud WR status but hasn't been a dominant player. Terrell Owens had just one good season in a cold weather city, doing most of his damage in San Fran and Dallas. And all of those guys had injury issues during the cold weather portions of his career. Is that related to cold weather? Who knows. But it happened. Ochocinco was very good but never a fantasy difference maker. Lee Evans? Ugh. Braylon Edwards seemed to be an elite talent, but disappeared after his big season. Maybe he just didn't have the love for the game because he played in a sucky city in the cold for a losing team. That's a legitimate risk for a dude going to Buffalo.

My point isn't that Watkins will crash and burn entirely. I have no idea what will happen, and I'm not good enough at talent evaluation to tell you whether this guy who is the best WR prospect in forever is better or worse than that guy who is the best WR prospect in forever. My point is just that the odds don't seem to favor him putting up truly elite numbers with a non elite QB in a cold weather city. And if we're not talking about a potentially elite player or any assurance of a long career of high end fantasy value, then I'd rather have the more valuable running back.
  • Javon Walker put up 1200 yards and 9 TDs in 2006, ranking as a top-10 receiver in Denver with Jake Plummer at QB. Of course, after that, Darrent Williams died in his arms and Walker was never the same again.
  • Rod Smith's best season with John Elway was only his THIRD best season overall- he put up 192 and 165 points in 1997-1998 with John Elway, then put up 224 and 205 points in 2000-2001 with Brian Griese and Gus Frerotte.
  • McCaffrey's best season with Elway was 167 points (WR10 finish) in 1998. His best season without Elway was 188 points (WR8 finish) with Griese and Frerotte in 2000. He never caught more than 64 passes with Elway. He topped that total three times without him.
  • Santana Moss was "never a fantasy stud" only if you discount his WR8 finish in year 2 and his WR3 finish in year 4. He trailed off after that... but he trailed off in the warmer weather of Washington DC, not the colder weather of NYC.
  • I'll give you that Desean has never really been a dominant force, although he does have a 4th place, 10th place, and 14th place (in 14 games) finish on his resume.
  • Terrell Owens only had one dominant season in cold weather because Terrell Owens only PLAYED one season in cold weather. You could just as easily say that Terrell Owens dominated in 100% of the seasons he played in cold weather. In fact, Terrell Owens' 21-game stint in Philadelphia was by far the most dominant stretch of his entire career. His per-16-games numbers work out to 95/1500/15.
  • Over a 5-year span, Ochocinco finished 3rd, 9th, 4th, 4th, and 6th at his position. You and I have a veeeeeeeeeery different definition of "difference-maker".
  • You're saying that Braylon quit because it snows in Cleveland? And you're calling that a LEGITIMATE RISK? That word you're using... I do not think it means what you think it means.

bostonfred said:
duaneok66 said:
I don't want a top ten WR. I already have eleven of them. And so does everybody else. Seriously, which of these guys is NOT a potential top ten WR in your mind?AJ GreenCalvin JohnsonJosh GordonDez BryantJulio JonesDemaryius ThomasAlshon JeffreyRandall CobbKeenan AllenCordarelle PattersonBrandon MarshallAntonio BryantSammy WatkinsJordy NelsonMichael FloydPercy HarvinPierre GarconDeAndre HopkinsMike EvansVictor CruzMichael CrabtreeLarry FitzgeraldJordan MathewsMarquise LeeOdell Beckham Jr.Brandon CooksKelvin BenjaminAnd that's not including guys like Roddy White, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, Kendall Wright, Justin Blackmon, Justin Hunter, T.Y. Hilton, and more.If you're taking Watkins number one overall because you think he might be a top ten WR in a few years, that's not a very good reason these days. Top ten receivers are a dime a dozen.
Agree with this, I'm in a 10 team league start 2rb, 4wr, 1flex. Even in this format RB's are a premium. First 4 rookie picks last year all RB's. This year Sankey, Hyde, Freeman will all likely be gone by pick 6.

bostonfred said:
duaneok66 said:
I don't want a top ten WR. I already have eleven of them. And so does everybody else. Seriously, which of these guys is NOT a potential top ten WR in your mind?AJ GreenCalvin JohnsonJosh GordonDez BryantJulio JonesDemaryius ThomasAlshon JeffreyRandall CobbKeenan AllenCordarelle PattersonBrandon MarshallAntonio BryantSammy WatkinsJordy NelsonMichael FloydPercy HarvinPierre GarconDeAndre HopkinsMike EvansVictor CruzMichael CrabtreeLarry FitzgeraldJordan MathewsMarquise LeeOdell Beckham Jr.Brandon CooksKelvin BenjaminAnd that's not including guys like Roddy White, Andre Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Wes Welker, Kendall Wright, Justin Blackmon, Justin Hunter, T.Y. Hilton, and more.If you're taking Watkins number one overall because you think he might be a top ten WR in a few years, that's not a very good reason these days. Top ten receivers are a dime a dozen.
Agree with this, I'm in a 10 team league start 2rb, 4wr, 1flex. Even in this format RB's are a premium. First 4 rookie picks last year all RB's. This year Sankey, Hyde, Freeman will all likely be gone by pick 6.
This is my world too!!!

People who are afraid of making the big mistake will go WR.

RB is king!!!

bostonfred said:
duaneok66 said:
BOSTON FRED HAS PERFECTLY STATED MY CASE!!!!

Very little mention of Mike Evans in here. Not to say I would take him with the top pick if I had it, but in my opinion it is pretty close. I felt like Watkins was a little better than Evans last Thursday but given where they landed and their situation I think they are about even both immediately and long term.

This year I have pick 1:1 and normally I would agree with the majority here but since I have multiple picks I have to go Sankey at 1:1. Rationale being the drop-off between Sankey and the #2 is greater IMO than the drop off between Watkins and the next group of WR's.

Two quick comments.

1) There is a very large difference between the "bet the farm" top 10 WRs and the kinda-maybe-sorta-if-things-go-right top 10 WRs. They aren't all the same.

2) It's kind of hard to bank everything on "first guy drafted" and say all is well, when the last six straight first RBs drafted have all either been out and out busts, or have serious Qs.

Gio - we'll see, he was everybody's darling a week ago, now what?

Richardson (ouch)

Ingram (yeooow)

Spiller (owie, in fairness, he's still got a pulse, but not exactly a great ROI so far)

Moreno (yikes - the original drafters prob got nothing)

McFadden (what to say that hasn't been said)

This year I have pick 1:1 and normally I would agree with the majority here but since I have multiple picks I have to go Sankey at 1:1. Rationale being the drop-off between Sankey and the #2 is greater IMO than the drop off between Watkins and the next group of WR's.
This is the same position I'm in and how I feel as well.

Much rather have Sankey and two 1st round WR like Cooks and ODB then three 1st round WR. Even if Sankey busts and he could easily bust it's the same thing that NFL teams do when they reach for QB's. The payoff is so huge that it's worth the added risk.

bostonfred said:
bostonfred said:
The old mantra of talent > opportunity no longer applies.
Tell that to depressed Zac Stacy owners.
He was a fifth round pick who was attractive entirely because of situation over talent. As such his position was suspect right away. The same is true of sankey, except that sankey is generally regarded as more talented. More important, the titans chose him over chris johnson, and any free agent back, and any other back in the draft, which means they probably think he's pretty good, too. He has the potential to do well based on talent alone, but with that o line, he should have a great opportunity to showcase his skills, and with reasonable success, he should be able to keep the job.But you're absolutely right in that any of these running backs have to look over their shoulder. Lacy didn't even have to wait a year to see franklin drafted behind him. Gio and bell just had guys drafted and added in free agency who could hamper their opportunities. Lynch has successfully held off turbin and now michael in seattle, after losing his gig in buffalo. That's the way things are for the generally less talented backs in the nfl today.

Which brings me back to the context of the quote you snipped. If adrian peterson came out today (and I mean a guy as good as peterson, not a guy like richardson or mcfadden who were considered as good as peterson), then maybe they wouldn't have to look over their shoulders (although peterson had to fight off gerhart, mcfadden had to fight off bush, jennings and jones drew, and richardson got traded and had to compete with donald brown). But yes, if there is one of those rare talents, then you'd draft them based on talent, not opportunity. The reality is that those guys are getting rarer, because the nfl isn't rewarding kids who decide to be running backs, which leads to the trend of more and better wrs and fewer and worse running backs.

And that's why opportunity has to be the deciding factor when picking these guys, because you won't have the elite studs who can succeed anywhere, and more than anything, you need guys who can do well enough in a good situation to help you right away and hold off future competition. Stacy had an uphill battle to climb on that front. Sankey doesn't. That's what makes him so valuable.
I really agree with this when you're evaluating Sankey relative to other RBs. But we're not comparing Sankey to other RBs here. We're comparing him to top-10 WRs, to a stellar receiving TE in a high-octane offense, to a first round receiver playing in a dome with a HoF quarterback. Your arguments are a great reason to take Sankey over, say, Zac Stacy. They're not a great reason to take him over a half-dozen other rookies this year, though.

You say that there are a lot of really great WRs right now, and that's true. But you can start more than one of them, right? If everyone has an elite, uber WR, then I want two of them. If everyone else has two, then I want three. I'd rather have an elite talent at WR, a guy who several teams are saying after the draft they had rated as the #1 player on the board regardless of position, over an RB that every team passed on once and most teams passed on twice.

Much rather have Sankey and two 1st round WR like Cooks and ODB then three 1st round WR. Even if Sankey busts and he could easily bust it's the same thing that NFL teams do when they reach for QB's. The payoff is so huge that it's worth the added risk.
Elite WRs have a much higher payoff in PPR dynasty leagues than elite RBs.

In non-PPR, they're roughly equal in payoff, outside of the Faulks and Tomlinsons of the world.

In non-PPR, they're roughly equal in payoff, outside of the Faulks and Tomlinsons of the world.
Even with the shortage of RB's that we are seeing right now and the advantage you get from starting 3 RB instead of 3 WR?

I don't see how this is a question unless you're sitting on 2-3 WR1s and the best RB on your roster is someone like Pierre Thomas.

. What is that payoff statement based on, not arguing just curious.Is it possible that the longevity of WR's in dynasty, the increase in number of high scoring WR's and the lack of longevity and additional uncertainty with RB's works against WR's in terms of value? Think of the extreme example, QB's. I've got Luck, I'm not thinking about QB for the next 10 years. I've got AJG and Antonio Brown in a start 3 WR....i can rotate some random Waiver wire gem in the 3rd spot and have a few up and comers like Marvin Jones or a guy like Edelman last year and be good for the next 5yrs.

Sankey fell to 1.07 and 1.11 in the two HyperActive drafts so far. Those are WR-heavy leagues, but it still shows that people aren't necessarily crazy about him.

I look at him about the same way I looked at Montee Ball last year. Don't like the player much. Like the situation and the draft slot.

I would not spend anything higher than a late 1st on him unless desperate for RB help, but he does have more instant boom potential than almost anybody.

Watkins would have to be a huge bust relative to expectations for Sankey to be worth more. That's not a difficult call, IMO.

Sankey vs. someone like Adams or Robinson seems like a more realistic debate in a balanced league where people aren't desperate for RB help.

bostonfred said:
bostonfred said:
He was a fifth round pick who was attractive entirely because of situation over talent. As such his position was suspect right away. The same is true of sankey, except that sankey is generally regarded as more talented. More important, the titans chose him over chris johnson, and any free agent back, and any other back in the draft, which means they probably think he's pretty good, too. He has the potential to do well based on talent alone, but with that o line, he should have a great opportunity to showcase his skills, and with reasonable success, he should be able to keep the job.But you're absolutely right in that any of these running backs have to look over their shoulder. Lacy didn't even have to wait a year to see franklin drafted behind him. Gio and bell just had guys drafted and added in free agency who could hamper their opportunities. Lynch has successfully held off turbin and now michael in seattle, after losing his gig in buffalo. That's the way things are for the generally less talented backs in the nfl today.

Which brings me back to the context of the quote you snipped. If adrian peterson came out today (and I mean a guy as good as peterson, not a guy like richardson or mcfadden who were considered as good as peterson), then maybe they wouldn't have to look over their shoulders (although peterson had to fight off gerhart, mcfadden had to fight off bush, jennings and jones drew, and richardson got traded and had to compete with donald brown). But yes, if there is one of those rare talents, then you'd draft them based on talent, not opportunity. The reality is that those guys are getting rarer, because the nfl isn't rewarding kids who decide to be running backs, which leads to the trend of more and better wrs and fewer and worse running backs.

And that's why opportunity has to be the deciding factor when picking these guys, because you won't have the elite studs who can succeed anywhere, and more than anything, you need guys who can do well enough in a good situation to help you right away and hold off future competition. Stacy had an uphill battle to climb on that front. Sankey doesn't. That's what makes him so valuable.
I really agree with this when you're evaluating Sankey relative to other RBs. But we're not comparing Sankey to other RBs here. We're comparing him to top-10 WRs, to a stellar receiving TE in a high-octane offense, to a first round receiver playing in a dome with a HoF quarterback. Your arguments are a great reason to take Sankey over, say, Zac Stacy. They're not a great reason to take him over a half-dozen other rookies this year, though.

You say that there are a lot of really great WRs right now, and that's true. But you can start more than one of them, right? If everyone has an elite, uber WR, then I want two of them. If everyone else has two, then I want three. I'd rather have an elite talent at WR, a guy who several teams are saying after the draft they had rated as the #1 player on the board regardless of position, over an RB that every team passed on once and most teams passed on twice.
Your position makes sense if you don't have to start running backs. If you have to start running backs, then eventually you're going to need a good one. And the opportunity to draft a good one this year seems somewhat limited. Sankey has a clear path to FF performance. Hyde might have one later. Hill might never have one. After that, it gets even dicier. If you're in a QRWWFFT, PPR league, that's a lot different than my QRWWFT non-PPR league. And as I've said repeatedly, Watkins makes sense in formats like that. In fact, Watkins makes sense in a lot of formats. But it's not as much of a slam dunk as people are saying. Even if you're not high on Sankey's talent.

I assume that most responses in here are based on the assumption that scoring is ppr, no? Well I'm in one non-ppr and this is an agonizing decision as running backs are essential to success. Anyone have a strong stance on Watkins/Evans vs Sankey in non-ppr? I keep flip flipping hourly.

Even with the shortage of RB's that we are seeing right now and the advantage you get from starting 3 RB instead of 3 WR?
Yes. PPR scoring was introduced because the single-season value of RBs was way higher than the single-season value of WRs. PPR was intended to put RBs and WRs on a more even playing field on a year-to-year basis. Since WRs have longer careers, if they're roughly equal on a year-to-year basis, that means they're more valuable on a career-long basis.

Starting 3 RBs isn't better than starting 4 WRs in a league that starts 2 RBs, 3 WRs, and flexes one. Last year in PPR, RBs 25-36 scored between 132 and 166 points. WRs 37-48 scored between 145-163 points, or pretty much exactly the same. In terms of PPG, the RBs ranged from 10.3 to 12.4 and the WRs ranged from 10.6 to 11.5. The top-end RBs score slightly higher, but that's because backup RBs get more games as starters when the starters are out with injury. All told, at the end of the day, there's not any real advantage to be gained from starting a flex-caliber RB over a flex-caliber WR.

Now, if you have three top-24 level RBs, that gives you a pretty big advantage... but the same is true if you have four top-36 level WRs. RBs in the 13-24 range last year scored comparably to WRs in the 23-33 range.

I assume that most responses in here are based on the assumption that scoring is ppr, no? Well I'm in one non-ppr and this is an agonizing decision as running backs are essential to success. Anyone have a strong stance on Watkins/Evans vs Sankey in non-ppr? I keep flip flipping hourly.
I definitely wrote my first post assuming ppr. In non-ppr and depending on lineup requirements I think things do get more interesting. I am very high on Watkins and almost as high on Evans. I see them as different calculations in non-ppr though; I think Watkins could be really productive in catches and yardage but he may score single-digit TDs most seasons (basically, I see an Andre Johnson model of production for Watkins). Evans has potential for double-digit TDs perhaps, plus good yardage, but maybe less catches? Obviously I'm just projecting here.

FWIW if I don't need to calculate receptions into my RB rankings then Hyde comes into the conversation at RB alongside Sankey. Both inherit good offensive lines and while Sankey's path to touches looks more clear right now, Hyde is playing for a team that wants to pound people.

All of that said, I'd still lean Watkins or Evans as I think they're just better players than Sankey or any of the other RBs.

I have the 1.01 (earned the hard way) in non-ppr. I'm going with the WR, even though RB is a far greater need. By all accounts the RBs in next years draft figure to be much more talented, and at least 1 or 2 of my three 2015 1st rounders project to be early picks.

I'm done reaching for need. The only good RB I've had is Lynch, who I traded WR depth to aquire in a trade. I've missed out on a ton of talent chasing the likes of Jahvid Best, Donald Brown, Ronnie Hillman, and Daniel Thomas.

bostonfred said:
bostonfred said:

Your position makes sense if you don't have to start running backs. If you have to start running backs, then eventually you're going to need a good one. And the opportunity to draft a good one this year seems somewhat limited. Sankey has a clear path to FF performance. Hyde might have one later. Hill might never have one. After that, it gets even dicier. If you're in a QRWWFFT, PPR league, that's a lot different than my QRWWFT non-PPR league. And as I've said repeatedly, Watkins makes sense in formats like that. In fact, Watkins makes sense in a lot of formats. But it's not as much of a slam dunk as people are saying. Even if you're not high on Sankey's talent.
You don't NEED a good RB any more than you NEED a good TE or a good QB to win it all. All you NEED is for your entire starting lineup to outscore the other guy's. You can do that by having a balanced advantage across every position, or you can do that by having an absolutely dominant WR corps that carries the rest of your team. The guy who won one of my leagues started Pierre Garcon, James Jones, and Marlon Brown for most of the season. You could say that he NEEDED one of those elite dynasty receivers we keep saying there are so many of, but in fact, he didn't. All he needed was a team that scored more points than the other guy's team. Chad Parsons won one of our staff redraft teams starting Knowshon Moreno and Bobby Rainey. Did he need an elite RB? Obviously not.

Even if Sammy Watkins is your WR4 and you're forced to start him in your flex, and your starting RBs are Ben Tate and Rashard Jennings, you take the guy who puts more points in your lineup. And if you literally own all 10 of the top 10 dynasty WRs, and your #1 running back is literally Shonn Greene, you still don't take Bishop Sankey over Sammy Watkins. You trade the #1 pick, or you trade one of your top-10 receivers, or you do something other than take a dramatically inferior talent based on perceived need. The purpose of the draft is to stock your team with talent. You don't address need through the draft, that's what trades are for. Just my opinion.

There is not a scoring system on the planet where I would take an RB drafted 54th overall over a WR drafted 4th overall. Even in a league that only started 2 WRs and gave bonus points for last names that ended in "ankey", I'd still probably go with Watkins.

bostonfred said:
Ball/Anderson ought to be better until Manning retires. Then it's anybody's guess.
I respect your viewpoint if you feel Sankey could be good and Tennessee is a good situation. But. It's anybody's guess how good Tenn will be. Locker is on his last year. If Manning plays 2 more years (and why wouldn't he) that is a significant lifespan for any RB. I am willing to risk Y3 (or exit Y3 for a pick to get another 2nd round RB) especially when we don't know what Y1, Y2, or Y3 for Sankey will look like.
bostonfred said:
Spiller/FJax isn't as attractive because Brown's there now, too.
Disagree with your read of Buffalo. Spiller/FJax isn't as attractive cause we can't trust Spiller and he turns 27 in a couple months. If I'm a "only have Pierre" guy, I would still find the situation more appealing than Tennesse, but I'm an admitted Spiller lifer. Also, if you got the pair (or trio) and can flex RB, it would let you start multiple.
bostonfred said:
Bell and Blount are a situation play,
I don't know how you could take the Sankey side and make a statement like this. IMO Bell > Sankey and Pitt > Tenn. At best Sankey is a situation play equivalent to Bell.

bostonfred said:
Stacy and Mason would be more attractive if I knew one of them was going to get the lion's share of carries, but there's no indication either way yet. The Giants trio of Wilson, Rashad Jennings and a mid round rookie looks like a muddled mess right now.
Tennessee will draft or sign a RB next year to be a threat or compliment no less significant than Mason is today. There are too few quality RBs on the roster for that not to happen.

No one's going to sell Watkins for the NYG trio but I think the NYG trio outscores Sankey this year and the long term upside isn't much lower. It is a mess but it's a mess that projects well.

bostonfred said:
That leaves Gio and Lynch/Michael. Which makes a good case for why neither owner should be willing to trade their guys for the 1.1 in this draft.
I think there's a lot of reason for the Lynch/Michael owner to sell. Keep in mind what happened to Lattimore owners this weekend.

The underlying point may be true, that people with good RB don't have much incentive to sell. But I'd still stand on my underlying point being true, that there's a lot of things you could trade 1.1 for with better potential than Sankey. Even with this terrible terrible draft outcome you can still get a nice package for 1.1.

Everyone is so caught up in the new waive of WRs that they are underestimating how awful the RB and TE might turn out. I have yet to bother to do rankings yet, but I'm sure I'll take into account suppy and demand for every position like you guys are. We all agree that this is a deep WR class, yet every one seems to think Wakins is the only one has near top-tier potential. That doesn't seem consistent after plenty of these receivers in the "deepest class ever" landed in equal-better situations. Situation changes everything for me with this class. I don't get the feeling that it's '07 with Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson when you have me decide between Bishop Sankey and Sammy Watkins. I'm sorry. It doesn't feel like the Luck, RG3, Martin, Richardson, Kuechly year either. There isn't a hands down 1.1, just a bunch of players that belong in the discussion. I don't see either Watkins or Sankey being a flat out bust. The risk with both to me is that they could just be 'good'. How excited would you be if Watkins was just Torrey Smith + better hands over time? or if Tenn signs some cheap FA next year?

I'd likely trade 1.1 based on the hype. As with 99% of fantasy players, there will be another chance to buy at a more reasonable price sooner or later if you cared that much.

Sankey can not possibly be the #1 pick in this draft in any format unless it is so run heavy that Mathews is worth more than AJ Green

Given that I play in a contract league (and only rookies can get upto four year contracts) I also look at npv of the player, since year five situation s completely different. A player that performs under contract is way under priced compared to auction market values from that same league - that gives me a competitive advantage.

bostonfred alleges that there are 30 potential top ten WRs and e.g. I need start two, and say there are 20 potential top ten RBs of which I need one, I also have a flex position and a TE to consider.

RB rookies with a path to start are likely to produce flex numbers in year one and two, maybe three, maybe four

WR rookies with a path to start are unlikely to produce flex numbers in year one, could produce flex numbers in year two, are likely to produce flex numbers in year three and four

TE rookies are unlikely to ever produce flex numbers (likely a RB or WR on your team will score better), but may become a viable starters, but ulikely before year three.

In addition I would have to consider whether I can replace a RB/WR/TE with path to start through the same or other means in seasons to come (at similar price structure). If I can the npv discount of future years becomes higher.

The league size also boosts this, if large, positional scarcity becomes more pronounced, if small, it eases the scarcity (fewer starters)

I believe this strengthens the argument for taking the points now rather than waiting for a payback in later years, but clearly your performance in previous drafts and specific team needs also play a large role.

As for drafting on the basis of when a player was picked, Trent Richardson says hi ;)

Given that I play in a contract league (and only rookies can get upto four year contracts) I also look at npv of the player, since year five situation s completely different. A player that performs under contract is way under priced compared to auction market values from that same league - that gives me a competitive advantage.
I was wondering were there guys around here that look at FF in terms of finance. Is this just intuitive or are you actually formulaic with this?

I was wondering were there guys around here that look at FF in terms of finance. Is this just intuitive or are you actually formulaic with this?
Not formulaic no, I don't have the patience (or skill) for that - and as implied further down in the post the 'discount' rate is going to be very difficult to get a handle on I think - so I do a completely subjective analysis, trying to 'moneyball' my way to a better result. I think it has improved my results in the league I am refering to but I ama much worse game manager than general manager so my teams generally suffer from too many points on the bench :bag:

bostonfred said:
bostonfred said:

Don't put too much stock into teams having passed on sankey, the position itself is devalued in the NFL yet is still key every year in ff (some leagues anyway).

You want multiple top receivers, so do I, but I also want good running backs.

I have little doubt that Watkins is the better pick for the next ten years, but feel equally confident that sankey ranks much higher at his position over the next three. So it really comes down to your priorities.

To use an analogy, would you rather have demeco Murray or Victor Cruz?

The point about trading the pick if you can get a better back is certainly valid.

But can you get a Murray or better back for it?

Lesean mccoy

40 yard 4.50

3 cone 6.82

Broad jump 8'11"

20 shuttle 4.18

204 lbs 5'10"

Bishop sankey

40 yard 4.49

3 cone 6.75

Broad jump 10'6"

20 shuttle 4.00

209 lbs 5'9"

Sankey is not in the conversation as some middle tier, do nothing running back. He has better numbers, and was drafted in an earlier slot, than the current number one back in fantasy football. That doesn't mean he will be anywhere near as good as mccoy, but the possibility exists.

The titans might not seem like a stud team, but they just spent a top ten pick on warmack, another early first on lewan, and big free agent money on levitre. This offensive line was built to dominate, and its young and nasty. Put a talented back behind them, and they could be successful.

I'm not an armchair scout like some of you guys, so I will quote the random site I googled. You're welcome to disagree with any of this, I'm still learning about these players. But here are some key phrases:

Pro style offense

Vision and aggression to handle inside rushing duties

Enough burst to beat defenders to the edge

Reliable pass catcher

Surprisingly effective pass protection

Ability to impact the game on all three downs

Now, that's just one scout gushing about a guy he likes. And we've all seen workout warriors at the combine fail. So take it with a huge grain of salt. But the combination of things - great o line, limited competition, ability to pass protect, ability to play all three downs, volume production, receiving ability and great combine numbers.. all of that leads me to believe that he is an excellent fantasy prospect.

If you believe watkins is a legit top 5 dynasty receiver right now (a claim made by one of my leagumates, while he was trying to trade out of the 1.1 pick), then you have to take him. But there are people questioning whether he's even the top ff receiver in this class, and whether he's going to score touchdowns, and what his ceiling in buffalo really is. If he's really just a very good wr, then he's not worth 1.1.

Or maybe he is. Watkins has a higher floor, for sure. And his ceiling might be higher, too, especially in wr heavy formats like ppr dynasty leagues where you only start one rb and can start four or five wrs. Just realize that sankey has a potentially elite ceiling at a position that many leagues tend to value more heavily. He's worth consideration early, even as early as 1.1.

Lesean mccoy

40 yard 4.50

3 cone 6.82

Broad jump 8'11"

20 shuttle 4.18

204 lbs 5'10"

Bishop sankey

40 yard 4.49

3 cone 6.75

Broad jump 10'6"

20 shuttle 4.00

209 lbs 5'9"

Sankey is not in the conversation as some middle tier, do nothing running back. He has better numbers, and was drafted in an earlier slot, than the current number one back in fantasy football. That doesn't mean he will be anywhere near as good as mccoy, but the possibility exists.

The titans might not seem like a stud team, but they just spent a top ten pick on warmack, another early first on lewan, and big free agent money on levitre. This offensive line was built to dominate, and its young and nasty. Put a talented back behind them, and they could be successful.

I'm not an armchair scout like some of you guys, so I will quote the random site I googled. You're welcome to disagree with any of this, I'm still learning about these players. But here are some key phrases:

Pro style offense

Vision and aggression to handle inside rushing duties

Enough burst to beat defenders to the edge

Reliable pass catcher

Surprisingly effective pass protection

Ability to impact the game on all three downs

Now, that's just one scout gushing about a guy he likes. And we've all seen workout warriors at the combine fail. So take it with a huge grain of salt. But the combination of things - great o line, limited competition, ability to pass protect, ability to play all three downs, volume production, receiving ability and great combine numbers.. all of that leads me to believe that he is an excellent fantasy prospect.

If you believe watkins is a legit top 5 dynasty receiver right now (a claim made by one of my leagumates, while he was trying to trade out of the 1.1 pick), then you have to take him. But there are people questioning whether he's even the top ff receiver in this class, and whether he's going to score touchdowns, and what his ceiling in buffalo really is. If he's really just a very good wr, then he's not worth 1.1.

Or maybe he is. Watkins has a higher floor, for sure. And his ceiling might be higher, too, especially in wr heavy formats like ppr dynasty leagues where you only start one rb and can start four or five wrs. Just realize that sankey has a potentially elite ceiling at a position that many leagues tend to value more heavily. He's worth consideration early, even as early as 1.1.
Amen Brutha Fred!Your analysis is spot on and you hit everything right on the head.

I will be drafting Sankey 1.1 and I'm very excited to be able to draft him there...

Adam Harstad said:

2 surpassed 50 career AV

6 surpassed 30 career AV

Very good posting. Thank you for this. As a 1.1 owner, pre-draft I was 100% in the Watkins camp. The Sankey situation had me rethinking a bit, but this post brought me back to earth.

Users who are viewing this thread