What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1971 NEXT 100 songs Number one with a bullet/hammer - Layla · Derek & The Dominos (1 Viewer)

shuke said:
Again, HOW DO THESE NOT MAKE THE TOP 100?????????????!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!?!!?!?!!?!?!?@??!$!@#$%?#%$^46H856Y78
To be somewhat fair to Tim, I think he only included songs released in 1971 while Bracie has allowed for songs released in Q4 of 1970 to count.  Granted it's only some of the songs and I'm not sure about these 3 but there's been some great songs that were definitely in 1971 that got left off Tim's list.

Bracie Smathers said:
The "land of ice and snow" is Iceland, where the band played in June 1970. Robert Plant explained: "We weren't being pompous. We did come from the land of the ice and snow. We were guests of the Icelandic Government on a cultural mission. We were invited to play a concert in Reykjavik and the day before we arrived all the civil servants went on strike and the gig was going to be canceled. The university prepared a concert hall for us and it was phenomenal. The response from the kids was remarkable and we had a great time. 'Immigrant Song' was about that trip and it was the opening track on the album that was intended to be incredibly different."

The hiss at the beginning is feedback from an echo unit. It was intentional.

Valhalla is a hall in Asgard where the souls of fallen warriors are taken by the "Valkyries," which are spirits of war who carry up heroes who have been slain. Only heroes are taken to Valhalla, where they will wait for their certain doom.

Released 5 November 1970

Creepy tidbit.  Allister Crawley made a note on the album cover.  
I imagine this would have been high on Tim's list if it were released 2 months later, although I could be wrong.  I ####### LOVE this song.

Bracie Smathers said:
The "land of ice and snow" is Iceland, where the band played in June 1970. Robert Plant explained: "We weren't being pompous. We did come from the land of the ice and snow. We were guests of the Icelandic Government on a cultural mission. We were invited to play a concert in Reykjavik and the day before we arrived all the civil servants went on strike and the gig was going to be canceled. The university prepared a concert hall for us and it was phenomenal. The response from the kids was remarkable and we had a great time. 'Immigrant Song' was about that trip and it was the opening track on the album that was intended to be incredibly different."

The hiss at the beginning is feedback from an echo unit. It was intentional.

Valhalla is a hall in Asgard where the souls of fallen warriors are taken by the "Valkyries," which are spirits of war who carry up heroes who have been slain. Only heroes are taken to Valhalla, where they will wait for their certain doom.

Released 5 November 1970

Creepy tidbit.  Allister Crawley made a note on the album cover.  
Although the first line should have been "the land of green and snow".

/alicecooper

Among the musicians present for the recording were Joey Molland and Tom Evans from Badfinger. The band received a telephone call from Lennon’s chauffeur asking if they’d be interested in taking part.

"... in walks John Lennon...  

...he sits down on the stool and starts playing Jealous Guy and I’m so flabbergasted I can’t play. He was singing and I’m literally astounded, ‘It sounds like John Lennon.’

So we recorded acoustic guitars on that and John said, ‘You can #### off now if you’d like.’ Of course he wasn’t being like, ‘#### off.’ It was like, ‘Do what you like.’ … One of the most exciting nights of me life."

Joey Molland
Without You: The Tragic Story Of Badfinger, Dan Matovina

Released 9 September 1971

I love the Moody Blues.  I was 19 and my neighbor in Colorado turned me onto them.  Even though they've sold over 55 million albums they are under rated.

Better known for mellower tunes which makes this track stand out.

Released 27 August 1971

No one knows the meaning as Justin Haywood has avoided that topic but I saw this take and it 'seems' reasonable speculation.

Well, it’s obvious to me that in “The Story In Your Eyes” Justin Hayward was singing about a love affair with a woman and that one, or both parties involved, were married.  From the lyrical content, it sounds as though they dated at one point, moved onto other chapters of their lives and ended up coming back together, again.

But I’m frightened for your children

and the life that we are living is in vain

And the sunshine we’ve been waiting for

Will turn to rain

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Moody Blues.  I was 19 and my neighbor in Colorado turned me onto them.  Even though they've sold over 55 million albums they are under rated.

Better known for mellower tunes which makes this track stand out.

This song holds up really well but sadly has been overshadowed, along with just about everything else in their catalogue, by Nights In White Satin.

This song holds up really well but sadly has been overshadowed, along with just about everything else in their catalogue, by Nights In White Satin.
Days of Future Past is an all-time classic album.  It is not the sum of Nights in White Satin.  It does not overshadow this >>  The Moody Blues - The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?) - (Evening) Time To Get Away

For kids who have never heard of the Moody Blues or only know of Nights in White Satin then listen to the entire album 'Day Of Future Past'.  

...the Moody Blues were offered a deal to make a rock and roll version of Antonín Dvořák's New World Symphony ...

The group was unable to complete the assigned project,[citation needed] which was abandoned. However, they managed to convince Peter Knight, who had been assigned to arrange and conduct the orchestral interludes, to collaborate on a recording that used the band's original material instead.

Deram executives were initially sceptical about the hybrid style of the resulting concept album.[8] Released in November 1967, Days of Future Passed peaked at number 27 on the British LP chart. Five years later it reached number 3 on the Billboard chart in the US. The LP was a song cycle or concept album that takes place over the course of a single day. 

Moody Blues were one of my first loves when I got into classic rock in 1989/1990. Love those early albums, and The Story in Your Eyes was always a favorite. Very influential band as well. Mike Pinder pretty much popularized the mellotron (fans of Strawberry Fields Forever can thank him for that), and their standing as one of the early giants of progressive rock is set in stone, even if some considered them more psychedelic rock. 

The story behind the song begins in the jungles of Peru with Dennis Hopper and a child star who wrote a dystopian screenplay.  >>> The Story Behind The Song: Neil Young - After The Gold Rush

Neil Young’s most mysterious song has its beginnings in the wilds of Peru in 1969, where an out-of-control Dennis Hopper was directing The Last Movie, his follow-up to Easy Rider. With Hopper was his friend Dean Stockwell, a minor child and teen star of the 1940s and 50s, later famous for the 90s time-travel TV hit Quantum Leap.

“In Peru, Dennis very strongly urged me to write a screenplay,” Stockwell recalls, “and he would get it produced. I came back home to Topanga Canyon [in the mountains outside LA] and wrote After The Gold Rush. Neil was living in Topanga then too, and a copy of it somehow got to him. He had had writer’s block for months, and his record company was after him. And after he read this screenplay, he wrote the After The Gold Rush album in three weeks.” ...
The song is structured to take listeners through time. The first verse in set in the Middle Ages, the second in the time it was written in, and the third in the future. In 1992, Young explained it thusly: "[It's] about three times in history: There's a Robin Hood scene, there's a fire scene in the present and there's the future... the air is yellow and red, ships are leaving, certain people can go and certain people can't... I think it's going to happen."

The flugelhorn makes its way onto the list with a mournful solo in this tune.

Released September 19, 1970

Moody Blues were one of my first loves when I got into classic rock in 1989/1990. Love those early albums, and The Story in Your Eyes was always a favorite. Very influential band as well. Mike Pinder pretty much popularized the mellotron (fans of Strawberry Fields Forever can thank him for that), and their standing as one of the early giants of progressive rock is set in stone, even if some considered them more psychedelic rock. 
Agreed, although they did have some nice bouts with psychedelia. Legend Of A Mind is one of their better tunes IMO.

How often do you hear Ride My See-Saw on the stations that air classic rock compared to Nights?
I don't listen to commercial radio any more, but when I did a lot, I often heard See-Saw probably as often as Nights. But I guess that depends on the station.

Agreed, although they did have some nice bouts with psychedelia. Legend Of A Mind is one of their better tunes IMO.
I haven’t done a favorite songs list in a long time, but Legend of a Mind was in my top 10 all-time for many years. Still my favorite by the Moodies. 

Or  I'm Just A Singer In A Rock N Roll Band...
And this might be my 2nd favorite. I was obsessed with this song for months when I first got into the band. 

I haven’t done a favorite songs list in a long time, but Legend of a Mind was in my top 10 all-time for many years. Still my favorite by the Moodies. 

And this might be my 2nd favorite. I was obsessed with this song for months when I first got into the band. 
My Moody Blues story is I moved out to Colorado 3 days after turning 19.  I knew no one.  I had landed a job at a ski resort and found a place to stay.  After buying skis, boots, poles, goggles, ski jacket, gloves, and a weeks worth of groceries I had about $15 till my paycheck.  I made it to summer and my next door neighbors were awesome people and the greatest guy in the world was blast Moody Blues.  I had no trouble hearing 'Question' since everyone had their windows and doors wide open.  Very hipp'ish existence.  

I'd go over and we'd share brews and had a lot of musical influences in the early 80s.  I brought my own tastes that were formed on a diet of old warped 45s and full classic rock albums that my older sisters and bro had along with my best friends Beatlemania and cross-over AM radio hits of the time but I fell in love with the Moody Blues.

My Moody Blues story is I moved out to Colorado 3 days after turning 19.  I knew no one.  I had landed a job at a ski resort and found a place to stay.  After buying skis, boots, poles, goggles, ski jacket, gloves, and a weeks worth of groceries I had about $15 till my paycheck.  I made it to summer and my next door neighbors were awesome people and the greatest guy in the world was blast Moody Blues.  I had no trouble hearing 'Question' since everyone had their windows and doors wide open.  Very hipp'ish existence.  

I'd go over and we'd share brews and had a lot of musical influences in the early 80s.  I brought my own tastes that were formed on a diet of old warped 45s and full classic rock albums that my older sisters and bro had along with my best friends Beatlemania and cross-over AM radio hits of the time but I fell in love with the Moody Blues.
Nice. Your Wildest Dreams from the mid 80’s is a top song for them too in my book, but that 1967-1972 run was special. To Our Children’s Children’s Children is my favorite. The atmosphere on that album is just incredible. 

Getting into the nitty-gritty of the list.

I rate this the best intro for a song in rock-and-roll history.

I was a kid when I first devoured Aqualung so I had no clue what the song was about just loved that intro.

Released 19 March 1971

This was written by Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson, who has described the character Mary a "schoolgirl prostitute type." She lives a wretched existence offering her services to the dregs of humanity. Anderson says that the important issue in this song and the album as a whole is seeing the spirituality in all people, even a prostitute. Said Anderson, "There are these human types that would be thought to be undesirable and unpleasant, but are all God's creations one way or another, and there must be within these people some very essential humanity, even some goodness, some good side to their character or personality which was laudable."

"Mary" in this song is a good person reacting to bad circumstances. Anderson has pointed out that she is kind of a Robin Hood prostitute: she takes as much money as she can from her clients who can afford it, but would give away her services to those who can't.

Cross-Eyed Mary is a standout on an album loaded with standouts. 

Also, if you’ve never heard the 2011 stereo remix of it, done by Steven Wilson, check it out. He made the album sound 100 times better (the original mix was always a bit lacking). 

Do-lang-do-lang-do-lang.  Do-lang-do-lang.  >> The Chiffons - He´s So Fine  >>  Lead to a $1.6 million copyright infringement suit.

Harrison claimed he got the idea for "My Sweet Lord" from The Edwin Hawkins Singers ''Oh Happy Day" not "He's So Fine."  >> George Harrison’s “My Sweet Lord” Copyright Case

The first single and the biggest hit by George in his debut album.

Released 23 November 1970 

“Every time I put the radio on, it’s ‘Oh My Lord,’” John Lennon said in December 1970. “I’m beginning to think there must be a God.”

Phil Spector produced this and sang backup. 

In an interview with Howard Stern, Peter Frampton verified that he played lead guitar on "My Sweet Lord." According to Frampton, Harrison was a fan of his and invited him to the studio, where he handed Frampton his legendary Les Paul. Frampton assumed he was going to play rhythm, but Harrison said he wanted him to play lead, so Frampton did. Frampton wasn't officially credited for this (just as Eric Clapton wasn't credited on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"), but rumors circulated for years.

Harrison repeats part of a Hindu mantra in the lyric when he sings, "Hare Krishna... Krishna, Krishna." >>  Krishna-krishna

A tribute tune to Fats Domino.  Morrison would tribute Jackie Wilson in1972 with "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile"). 

"The record company was asking me for singles, so I made some like "Domino", which was actually longer but got cut down." In fulfilling Warner's desire for a hit song, Hage wrote that the "bright, tight, and groovy "Domino" fits the bill. The lyrics hit on a frequent Morrison theme, renewal, ('I think it's time for a change'), and the vocal dynamics, punctuated by 'Lord have mercy' nod to gospel and James Brown (who pulled heavily from gospel himself)."

Van's biggest hit, bigger than 'Brown Eyed Girl'.

Released 15 November 1970

Hey Mr. DJ
I just want to hear some rhythm and blues music
On the radio

This is based on an old Blues song called "Gallis Pole," which was popularized by Leadbelly.   Gallis Pole - Leadbelly The song is considered "Traditional," meaning the author is unknown. Jimmy Page got the idea for this after hearing the version by the California folk singer Fred Gerlach.  

The song actually goes back centuries and is based on the folk song "The Maid Freed from the Gallows" is one of many titles of a centuries-old folk song about a condemned maiden pleading for someone to buy her freedom from the executioner.  Leadbelly wasn't the only blues-man to pick up on this old folk tune.  A similar folk song called "Slack Your Rope" was sung by an Arkansan named Jimmie Driftwood. He adapted the words from a fifteenth century British Ballad when any crime could be paid off with money right up to the last step of the gallows.  

Page's acoustic playing is phenomenal and he has said its his favorite Led Zeppelin tune.  The song speeds-up as it goes along and is the only song Page plays the banjo which he had never played before.

Released 5 October 1970

This is based on an old Blues song called "Gallis Pole," which was popularized by Leadbelly.   Gallis Pole - Leadbelly The song is considered "Traditional," meaning the author is unknown. Jimmy Page got the idea for this after hearing the version by the California folk singer Fred Gerlach.  

The song actually goes back centuries and is based on the folk song "The Maid Freed from the Gallows" is one of many titles of a centuries-old folk song about a condemned maiden pleading for someone to buy her freedom from the executioner.  Leadbelly wasn't the only blues-man to pick up on this old folk tune.  A similar folk song called "Slack Your Rope" was sung by an Arkansan named Jimmie Driftwood. He adapted the words from a fifteenth century British Ballad when any crime could be paid off with money right up to the last step of the gallows.  

Page's acoustic playing is phenomenal and he has said its his favorite Led Zeppelin tune.  The song speeds-up as it goes along and is the only song Page plays the banjo which he had never played before.

Released 5 October 1970
Page was sloppy at times but he made so many songs interesting using different styles and techniques across and within songs.   Definitely one of the greats.  

I like Gallows Pole, but if songs from III are allowed, I am calling foul on this supposedly being better than Immigrant Song (or track 3 from the album which still may be yet to come).

I like Gallows Pole, but if songs from III are allowed, I am calling foul on this supposedly being better than Immigrant Song (or track 3 from the album which still may be yet to come).
There are at least 2 great tracks on LZ III not yet included.

CCR was at their hey-day having recently overtaken the Beatles for records sales but their were clouds on the horizon.

Tom Fogerty formed the band but lil-bro John took over lead vocals and became the primary writing/creative force which sowed the seeds for acrimony that lead to the eventual split.  By the time their final album 'Pendulum' was being recorded Tom had announced he was leaving the band and the other band members lobbied for more control.  John saw the good thing was about to end and wrote this song about the rain that was going to fall on their 'sunny day'.  You can hear the heartbreak in John's voice.

“there’s a calm before a storm.” 

I know, it's been comin' for some time

I don’t think the band realised ‘Have You Ever Seen the Rain?’ was about our breakup.”
John Fogerty,

Released January 1971

Tom released a couple of unexciting solo albums that barely charted after he left.  The other members got their way as they wrested artistic control on the last album 'Mardi Gras' put out by CCR without Tom and without Johns creative input.  The result?  It got this review:  Described by music critic, John Landau, as “the worst album I have ever heard from a major rock band”

Tom became even more bitter towards John as he sued John with their shared record company forcing John to stop performing any of the songs from CCR which he wrote and to prevent the record company from taking royalties he quit music.

“I felt like I was their little prisoner in their dungeon, their little mouse in a cage that they played with. To take somebody that was at their height, like Elvis or The Beatles, and then treat them so badly is really a horrible thing.” 

At the end all four members took legal action against each other.  John would eventually get back to music in 1985 with Centerfield.  Tom died in 1990 from AIDs after getting an unscreened blood transfusion.  The brothers never were able to make peace as John said in his the eulogy at Tom’s funeral: “We wanted to grow up and be musicians. Also i guess we achieved half of that. Becoming rock ‘n roll stars. We didn’t necessarily grow up.”

Speaking of CCR and the creative force of John Fogerty.  He began writing a song about a maid who worked for rich folks in the city only to come back to her poor home.  'Left a good job in the city.  Working for the man every night and day'.  Then fellow Creedence member Stu Cook introduced the riverboat aspect of the song. The idea came to him as the group watched the television show Maverick and Stu made the statement, "Hey riverboat, blow your bell." John latched onto the riverboat theme as he continued to write the music, he made the first few chords evoke a riverboat paddlewheel going around. Thus, "Proud Mary" went from being a cleanup lady to a boat.  'Big wheels keep on tur'n'.

Ike and Tina took the song and made it their own.

Tina Turner recalled in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 1971 how they came to record this on their Workin' Together album: "When we cut the album, we were lacking a few tunes, so we said 'Well, let's just put in a few things that we're doing on stage. And that's how 'Proud Mary' came about. I had loved it when it first came out. We auditioned a girl and she had sung 'Proud Mary.' This is like eight months later, and Ike said, 'You know, I forgot all about that tune.' And I said let's do it, but let's change it. So in the car Ike plays the guitar, we just sort of jam. And we just sort of broke into the black version of it. It was never planned to say, 'Well, let's go to the record shop, and I'd like to record this tune by Aretha Franklin'... it's just that we get it for stage, because we give the people a little bit of us and a little bit of what they hear on the radio every day."

Released30 January 1971

You know, every now and then
I think you might like to hear something from us
Nice and easy but there's just one thing
You see, we never ever do nothing nice and easy...

Speaking of CCR and the creative force of John Fogerty.  He began writing a song about a maid who worked for rich folks in the city only to come back to her poor home.  'Left a good job in the city.  Working for the man every night and day'.  Then fellow Creedence member Stu Cook introduced the riverboat aspect of the song. The idea came to him as the group watched the television show Maverick and Stu made the statement, "Hey riverboat, blow your bell." John latched onto the riverboat theme as he continued to write the music, he made the first few chords evoke a riverboat paddlewheel going around. Thus, "Proud Mary" went from being a cleanup lady to a boat.  'Big wheels keep on tur'n'.

Ike and Tina took the song and made it their own.

Tina Turner recalled in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine in 1971 how they came to record this on their Workin' Together album: "When we cut the album, we were lacking a few tunes, so we said 'Well, let's just put in a few things that we're doing on stage. And that's how 'Proud Mary' came about. I had loved it when it first came out. We auditioned a girl and she had sung 'Proud Mary.' This is like eight months later, and Ike said, 'You know, I forgot all about that tune.' And I said let's do it, but let's change it. So in the car Ike plays the guitar, we just sort of jam. And we just sort of broke into the black version of it. It was never planned to say, 'Well, let's go to the record shop, and I'd like to record this tune by Aretha Franklin'... it's just that we get it for stage, because we give the people a little bit of us and a little bit of what they hear on the radio every day."

Released30 January 1971

You know, every now and then
I think you might like to hear something from us
Nice and easy but there's just one thing
You see, we never ever do nothing nice and easy...
Rod Stewart said the hottest place on Earth was being onstage next to Tina Turner.

Tom released a couple of unexciting solo albums that barely charted after he left.  The other members got their way as they wrested artistic control on the last album 'Mardi Gras' put out by CCR without Tom and without Johns creative input.
Two thoughts:

1. Tom's solo output was spotty (to put it kindly) and suffered from poor songwriting, but there are some unpolished gems on his first 4 albums. His second album was recorded with Jerry Garcia, while the 3rd and 4th albums feature Stu Cook and Doug Clifford and are very obvious attempts to recreate the CCR formula. "Mystic Isle Avalon" and "Joyful Resurrection" would have fit right in on any CCR album and no one would have suspected that it was really Tom.

2. it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Stu and Doug gave John an ultimatum regarding creative input on the last album. Yes, they wanted more input. But John could have simply said "No." Instead, John decided that he was going to pout and sabotage the band just to prove a point. In rock world culture, this is considered a '**** move'.

Two things:

1. Tom's solo output was spotty (to put it kindly) and suffered from poor songwriting, but there are some unpolished gems on his first 4 albums. His second album was recorded with Jerry Garcia, while the 3rd and 4th albums feature Stu Cook and Doug Clifford and are very obvious attempts to recreate the CCR formula. "Mystic Isle Avalon" and "Joyful Resurrection" would have fit right in on any CCR album and no one would have suspected that it was really Tom.

2. it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that Stu and Doug gave John an ultimatum regarding creative input on the last album. Yes, they wanted more input. But John could have simply said "No." Instead, John decided that he was going to pout and sabotage the band just to prove a point. In rock world culture, this is considered a '**** move'.
He played a big role in the split as he berated the other band members into doing things his way but he got screwed by the record company and Tom told him that he and their record company were going to 'win' so he definitely wasn't the nice guy either.

He played a big role in the split as he berated the other band members into doing things his way but he got screwed by the record company and Tom told him that he and their record company were going to 'win' so he definitely wasn't the nice guy either.
They signed a horrific contract. Saul Zaentz screwed them badly. Unfortunately, the guys in the band turned on each other over it. 

I thought I had read somewhere that John and Tom kinda/sorta made up when Tom was ill, but maybe I'm misremembering that. 

Its not what you think the song is about with an odd origin.  Written on the heels of a 27 day “detox” which she claims to have drank nothing but distilled water and was eating transitional food like carrots when she felt an overwhelming urge to get a McDonald's hamburger. Figuring it was some kind of spirit voice guiding her, she gave in. On the way back to her house from McDonald's, she started to write the song.

The song implies plenty of sexual connotations and was banned but Melanie claimed she wrote the lyrics in a stream-of-conscious style in just minutes, and any deeper meaning was unintentional. "It was not anything that I thought about or even worried about making sense," she said.  "'Brand New Key' I wrote in about fifteen minutes one night," 

"I thought it was cute; a kind of old thirties tune. I guess a key and a lock have always been Freudian symbols, and pretty obvious ones at that. There was no deep serious expression behind the song, but people read things into it. They made up incredible stories as to what the lyrics said and what the song meant. In some places, it was even banned from the radio."

A lot of the credit for the songs' success goes to her husband.  After Melanie wrote this song, she figured it would make a nice interlude on the album and could be a lighthearted novelty to perform between her more earnest material. Her husband, Peter Schekeryk, who was also her producer, had other ideas. After she recorded the song at Allegro Studios in New York City, she left for California. When she returned, Schekeryk had put jaunty doo-*** backing vocals on the song and it was super catchy.

Released October 1971

"I thought it was cute; a kind of old thirties tune. I guess a key and a lock have always been Freudian symbols, and pretty obvious ones at that. There was no deep serious expression behind the song, but people read things into it. They made up incredible stories as to what the lyrics said and what the song meant. In some places, it was even banned from the radio."
cute song - weird to think she did "Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)" just the year before - pretty rockin' song.  

Released 5 October 1970
There are hundreds of old folk songs with different variations on this theme, but what I like about Zep's version is that it's the only one that I've ever found that has the plot twist at the end. (The hangman takes the bribe and has his way with the sister.........but he pulls the lever anyway.)

Argh.  It happened again with the song I had listed.  I had 'Spill the Wine' but it came out in May so it did not fit my list.  I have no idea why I had it on my list so for this selection I will leave it up to the board to throw out different songs and I will put all of the songs I had left over and make a selection.

If I don't get any then I'll put the entire list of songs I had that did not make my list as one catch-all 'cheat' substitute.

Songs from 1971 and including songs released from September of 70 to 71 fit the criteria.

I'll leave this open to suggestions/debate till tomorrow unless I get a fantastic suggestion today.

-----------------

Argh.  It happened again with the song I had listed.  I had 'Spill the Wine' but it came out in May so it did not fit my list.  I have no idea why I had it on my list so for this selection I will leave it up to the board to throw out different songs and I will put all of the songs I had left over and make a selection.

If I don't get any then I'll put the entire list of songs I had that did not make my list as one catch-all 'cheat' substitute.

Songs from 1971 and including songs released from September of 70 to 71 fit the criteria.

-----------------
Throw out your "just missed" list. Whichever one wins by vote (mainly, whichever I like the best but I guess other opinions might be valid) will be your #100 pick and all the others will move up one spot. 

This serves you right for picking that God-awful Melanie song :lol:

Throw out your "just missed" list. Whichever one wins by vote (mainly, whichever I like the best but I guess other opinions might be valid) will be your #100 pick and all the others will move up one spot. 

This serves you right for picking that God-awful Melanie song :lol:
Brand New Key charted number 1 in 1971 and it made it to number 9 in 1972.  Two consecutive years so not only did people love the song I can attest that some still do love the song as evidenced by it making into my top-15.  No apologies.

Brand New Key charted number 1 in 1971 and it made it to number 9 in 1972.  Two consecutive years so not only did people love the song I can attest that some still do love the song as evidenced by it making into my top-15.  No apologies.
Relax, my friend. I appreciate you and the work you put into this. I thought the emoji I threw in there might let you know I was playing around. 

Relax, my friend. I appreciate you and the work you put into this. I thought the emoji I threw in there might let you know I was playing around. 
It not me, Melanie was getting beat up by Krista for goodness sakes.

I just thought I don't want spotlighting so I'll show my leftover list and let people decide from the list here:

In no order.

I'll keep adding...

The list keeps going but I'll cut it off here as this is enough to make a selection.

Once again I screwed up and need to replace a song that did not qualify for my list.  So look over this list of songs I had left over and choose a song.  If I get a winner it will be the 12th song on the list.

If I don't get a winner I put in a wild-card song to represent all of the left over songs I had.

Users who are viewing this thread