What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1971 NEXT 100 songs Number one with a bullet/hammer - Layla · Derek & The Dominos (2 Viewers)

Doesn't look like Indian Reservation is going to make it onto either list.  
In the 'believe it or not' category.  In a past life I was a native American in a tribe known as the 'sheep eaters' who lived in the Grand Tetons.  I had been inextricably drawn to a spot in the back country that was an ancient Indian burial ground.  True story.

Quite fond of Indian Reservation.  

OK, I will add it since it was on the list that went 89 songs deep at one point.  Cover tune first recorded in 1959 and rediscovered in 1968 before Paul Revere's cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can't vote for Indian Reservation (a very good song), then I'll vote for EJ - Burn Down The Mission.

I’ll vote for 20th Century Man. The lack of anything from Muswell Hillbillies on either list so far seems an oversight to me.
While I stand by this vote, any T Rex options?  I think Tim just had Jeepster and Bang a Gong from Electric Warrior.  But Mambo Sun, Cosmic Dancer, Monolith, Hot Love, Planet Queen, etc... give any of ‘em to me.

While I stand by this vote, any T Rex options?  I think Tim just had Jeepster and Bang a Gong from Electric Warrior.  But Mambo Sun, Cosmic Dancer, Monolith, Hot Love, Planet Queen, etc... give any of ‘em to me.
I am sure Hot Love was absent from Tim's list because he has never heard it.  While it was #1 in the UK it didn't get any airplay in this country to speak of, probably because it was a stand alone single and Reprise didn't have a LP to promote with it.  Kind of doubt it will make this list too, but we shall see...

I have few more for consideration - also, did I miss Layla somewhere on both lists?  I see Bell Bottom Blues made it.  

reaction

Al Green - I Can't Get Next To You  (charted the Temptations earlier hit)

Alice Cooper - Eighteen

Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels

Badfinger - No Matter What

Badfinger - Without You

Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Bee Gees - Lonely Days

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (released Sept 18, 1970 ...couldn't remember if that met your criteria)

Black Sabbath - War Pigs (Paranoid album)

Black Sabbath - Iron Man (Paranoid album)

Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Bread - Mother Freedom (not the usual sappy bread song  :) )

Brewer & Shipley - One Toke Over The Line

Chicago - Free

Chicago - Lowdown

Climax - Precious And Few

Cornelius Brothers & sister Rose - Treat Her Like A Lady

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Sweet Hitchhiker

Derek & The Dominoes - Layla (reaction)

Electric Light Orchestra - 10538 Overture (majestic and soaring)

Elton John - Friends

Five Man Electrical Band - Signs

George Harrison - Isn't It A Pity

Graham Nash - Military Madness

Graham Nash - Chicago

Grand Funk Railroad - Mean Mistreater

Grass Roots - Temptation Eyes

Guess Who - Hang On To Your Life

Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor

J. Geils Band - Looking For A Love

Jackson 5 - Never Can Say Goodbye

James Taylor - Long Ago And Far Away

Jethro Tull - Hymn 43

Jimi Hendrix - Freedom

Jimi Hendrix - Angel

Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down  

Neil Young - Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Neil Young - When You Dance I Can Really Love

Nilsson - Me And My Arrow

Nilsson - Without You

Rare Earth - Hey Big Brother

Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate

Rare Earth - Born To Wander

Richie Havens - Here Comes The Sun

Santana - Black Magic Woman

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tears Of A Clown (Sept 24, 1970 release - heavy on '71 charts)

Stephen Stills - Change Partners

Spirit - Nature's Way 

Supremes - Stoned Love

T Rex - Hot Love

Temptations - Just My Imagination

Three Dog Night - Liar 

Tin Tin - Toast And Marmalade For Tea

Todd Rundgren - We Gotta Get You A Woman

Todd Rundgren - Be Nice To Me

Todd Rundgren - A Long Time, A Long Way To Go

Tom Jones - She's A Lady

Traffic - Medicated Goo

Traffic - Fourty Thousand Headmen

Traffic - Many A Mile To Freedom

Van Morrison - Blue Money

Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace

Yes - Starship Trooper

I have few more for consideration - also, did I miss Layla somewhere on both lists?  I see Bell Bottom Blues made it.  

reaction

Al Green - I Can't Get Next To You  (charted the Temptations earlier hit)

Alice Cooper - Eighteen

Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels

Badfinger - No Matter What

Badfinger - Without You

Bee Gees - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

Bee Gees - Lonely Days

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (released Sept 18, 1970 ...couldn't remember if that met your criteria)

Black Sabbath - War Pigs (Paranoid album)

Black Sabbath - Iron Man (Paranoid album)

Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf

Bread - Mother Freedom (not the usual sappy bread song  :) )

Brewer & Shipley - One Toke Over The Line

Chicago - Free

Chicago - Lowdown

Climax - Precious And Few

Cornelius Brothers & sister Rose - Treat Her Like A Lady

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Sweet Hitchhiker

Derek & The Dominoes - Layla (reaction)

Electric Light Orchestra - 10538 Overture (majestic and soaring)

Elton John - Friends

Five Man Electrical Band - Signs

George Harrison - Isn't It A Pity

Graham Nash - Military Madness

Graham Nash - Chicago

Grand Funk Railroad - Mean Mistreater

Grass Roots - Temptation Eyes

Guess Who - Hang On To Your Life

Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor

J. Geils Band - Looking For A Love

Jackson 5 - Never Can Say Goodbye

James Taylor - Long Ago And Far Away

Jethro Tull - Hymn 43

Jimi Hendrix - Freedom

Jimi Hendrix - Angel

Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down  

Neil Young - Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Neil Young - When You Dance I Can Really Love

Nilsson - Me And My Arrow

Nilsson - Without You

Rare Earth - Hey Big Brother

Rare Earth - I Just Want To Celebrate

Rare Earth - Born To Wander

Richie Havens - Here Comes The Sun

Santana - Black Magic Woman

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Tears Of A Clown (Sept 24, 1970 release - heavy on '71 charts)

Stephen Stills - Change Partners

Spirit - Nature's Way 

Supremes - Stoned Love

T Rex - Hot Love

Temptations - Just My Imagination

Three Dog Night - Liar 

Tin Tin - Toast And Marmalade For Tea

Todd Rundgren - We Gotta Get You A Woman

Todd Rundgren - Be Nice To Me

Todd Rundgren - A Long Time, A Long Way To Go

Tom Jones - She's A Lady

Traffic - Medicated Goo

Traffic - Fourty Thousand Headmen

Traffic - Many A Mile To Freedom

Van Morrison - Blue Money

Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace

Yes - Starship Trooper
I think you missed one.

You show "I Need You" as a song by Bread, it is actually by America. I would vote for 20th Century Man.
Yep, America not Bread and I'm going with 20th Century Man as it won by a nose.

How many rock songs mention, William Shakespeare, Rembrandt van Rijn, Titian, Leonardo da Vinci and Thomas Gainsborough?

The album Muswell Hillbillies featured purposely dated recording techniques, to give it an antiquated feel.

Although the song failed to breach Billboard top-100 (106) it seems fit for this time in history.

Released 24 Nov 1971 

Ruled by bureaucracy...
...Got no privacy, got no liberty

This will be the last song for tonight and tomorrow I will begin the final countdown to number one.

The lyrics "I can't believe what people saying, you're gonna let your hair hang down, I'm satisfied to sit here working all day long, you're in the darker side of town" reflects the way Zeppelin was treated in their earlier days in America. In the south it was common for Zeppelin to receive death threats before concerts. When they walked into restaurants they were usually asked to leave, but not before being spit on or having a gun pointed at them for their long hair.

Released 5 October 1970

In a contemporary review of Led Zeppelin III, Lester Bangs of Rolling Stone describes "That's the Way" as the first Led Zeppelin song that has ever truly moved him.  Phillip Seymour Hoffman played a Bangs in the movie Almost Famous which is the first time Led Zeppelin allowed a song to play on a soundtrack and that track was That's The Way.

I did not know who Hoffman was till this movie.  Even though it was a bit part he was incredible. 

Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs in the film "Almost Famous." All scenes.

'The only true currency in this world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.'

Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous

Yep, America not Bread and I'm going with 20th Century Man as it won by a nose.

How many rock songs mention, William Shakespeare, Rembrandt van Rijn, Titian, Leonardo da Vinci and Thomas Gainsborough?

The album Muswell Hillbillies featured purposely dated recording techniques, to give it an antiquated feel.

Although the song failed to breach Billboard top-100 (106) it seems fit for this time in history.

Released 24 Nov 1971 
The flip side "Skin And Bone" ridiculing fad diets is better:

Don't eat no mashed potatoes,
Don't eat no buttered scones
Stay away from carbohydrates
You're gonna look like skin and bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=4uIjlg_dHBk&feature=emb_title

TOP TEN

Starting with a song that began as a humble lil-RUMBA tune done by Pete Ham.  Original rumba version of No Matter What by Pete Ham 

Most know Badfinger was signed by the Beatles to Apple records and at that time many thought this was the Beatles, they do sound similar and I thought for-sure Come And Get It was the Beatles.  Paul wrote, produced, and played on that song so the groups were linked together.  As a matter of fact George lent Pete his guitar on this tune which begins with a strong guitar riff.

Released 6 November 1970

The only all-white group signed by Motown.  At first listen they had the soul/funk sound of a Motown group so when people showed up for their first set of concerts they wondered who those white dudes were until they began to jam.   

Rare Earth didn't fit the Motown formula which was a system of recording instrumental tracks followed by vocals and overdubs. This song was their most successful original effort as they broke from constraints of that formula.

Released 1971

I discovered was that Ray Davies attempted suicide after his first marriage ended within a year of these sessions and that even though later he would have a child with Chrissie Hynde he was rumored to be AC/DC.  Regardless of Ray's bisexuality this song is 'supposedly' about an encounter that their manager had in a nightclub.

Most have heard the story that Ray would have to re-dub the 'Coca-Cola' line to 'Cherry-Cola to avoid legal issues.  

Interesting musical note.  Ray bought a used Droba and that is how the start of the song sounds so tinny and unique. 

"I remember going into a music store on Shaftesbury Avenue in London when we were about to make 'Lola'. I said, 'I want to get a really good guitar sound on this record. I want a Martin.' And in the corner they had this old 1938 dobro [resonator guitar, in this case a National Steel] that I bought for £150. I put them together on 'Lola' which is what makes that clangy sound: the combination of the Martin and the dobro with heavy compression."

Released 27 November 1970

I discovered was that Ray Davies attempted suicide after his first marriage ended within a year of these sessions and that even though later he would have a child with Chrissie Hynde he was rumored to be AC/DC.  Regardless of Ray's bisexuality this song is 'supposedly' about an encounter that their manager had in a nightclub.

Most have heard the story that Ray would have to re-dub the 'Coca-Cola' line to 'Cherry-Cola to avoid legal issues.  

Interesting musical note.  Ray bought a used Droba and that is how the start of the song sounds so tinny and unique. 

"I remember going into a music store on Shaftesbury Avenue in London when we were about to make 'Lola'. I said, 'I want to get a really good guitar sound on this record. I want a Martin.' And in the corner they had this old 1938 dobro [resonator guitar, in this case a National Steel] that I bought for £150. I put them together on 'Lola' which is what makes that clangy sound: the combination of the Martin and the dobro with heavy compression."

I call illegal procedure on this one. Lola came out in June 1970.

I call illegal procedure on this one. Lola came out in June 1970.
Wiki page which I checked and double checked numerous times to make certain.  Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One

Studio album by 

the Kinks

-----------------

The album was released in November of 70, the single was released before the album.  It was the first track completed on the album so they released it early since they felt it would do well as a single.

Wiki page which I checked and double checked numerous times to make certain.  Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One

Studio album by 

the Kinks

-----------------

The album was released in November of 70, the single was released before the album.  It was the first track completed on the album so they released it early since they felt it would do well as a single.
It still came out more than 6 months before 1971. Between the two current 1971 lists, both of you guys are playing fast and loose in terms of what is getting considered and what's not. IMO, you might as well count anything from June 1970 on if you Lola counts as a 1971 song. If the first time it appeared on an album was 1978, would it then be a 1978 song?

It still came out more than 6 months before 1971. Between the two current 1971 lists, both of you guys are playing fast and loose in terms of what is getting considered and what's not. IMO, you might as well count anything from June 1970 on if you Lola counts as a 1971 song. If the first time it appeared on an album was 1978, would it then be a 1978 song?
Tim made a list of the top 100 songs for 1971.  I saw a lot of songs that were leftover but decided to place songs that came out from September to not only make it to 100 songs but to include songs that were still getting air-play and charting in 71.  Lola was on an album released in November of 70 so it qualified for my list if that doesn't fit your ethical standards of fair play then I can live with your outrage. 

Tim made a list of the top 100 songs for 1971.  I saw a lot of songs that were leftover but decided to place songs that came out from September to not only make it to 100 songs but to include songs that were still getting air-play and charting in 71.  Lola was on an album released in November of 70 so it qualified for my list if that doesn't fit your ethical standards of fair play then I can live with your outrage. 
I forgot it was Tim that ruled out Joy To The World because it came out in 1970 (even though it was actually released as a single in 1971 and was the #1 song of the year). Your stated purpose was to include songs released late in the year that peaked in 1971 (which makes sense). But Lola peaked in October 1970. It's your list, feel free to do whatever you want with it. But IMHO, the song had already faded by the time 1971 came around. Feel free to continue.

I forgot it was Tim that ruled out Joy To The World because it came out in 1970 (even though it was actually released as a single in 1971 and was the #1 song of the year). Your stated purpose was to include songs released late in the year that peaked in 1971 (which makes sense). But Lola peaked in October 1970. It's your list, feel free to do whatever you want with it. But IMHO, the song had already faded by the time 1971 came around. Feel free to continue.
Didn't say peaked.  Said were getting air-play and still charting because I remember 71 and what was being played on the radio is what I recall of that time and that is what I was attempting to capture and stated so earlier in the thread.

I follow The Kinks on social media and they were celebrating the 50th anniversary of the release of Lola on Friday.  Their Facebook page has lots of good videos to celebrate.

After previous iterations of the group called the Polka Tulk Blues Band and Earth, the band settled on the name Black Sabbath in 1969.  Black Sabbath were ranked by MTV as the "Greatest Metal Band" of all time.  

The lyrics tell the story of a man who time travels into the future and sees the apocalypse. In the process of returning to the present, he is turned into steel by a magnetic storm. He is rendered mute, unable verbally to warn people of his vision of impending destruction. His attempts to communicate are ignored and mocked. This causes Iron Man to become furious, and drives his revenge on mankind, causing the apocalypse seen in his vision.

Sabbath bassist and lyricist Geezer Butler explained in NME that after Ozzy Osbourne put the idea in his head: "I was walking down the street one day and thought... 'what if there were a bloody great bloke made out of metal walking about?"

The distorted vocals at the beginning that say "I am Iron Man" were rumored that Osbourne sang through an oscillating metal fan but his voice was run through a ring modulator, which creates a wobbly electronic effect by mixing the input signal with an oscillator. 

Released October 1971

From the album Abraxas which was voted number 202 in Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums.  The album was also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

The 1:49 instrumental at the end is called "Gypsy Queen," and was written by the Hungarian jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo. It is included as radio stations usually play "Black Magic Woman" and "Gypsy Queen" as one song.

Released September 23, 1970

TOP FIVE ~ High Fidelity - Top 5 Side 1, Track 1s 

Another tune wrought from the pages of Joni Mitchell and Graham Nash breakup.   "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" was rumored to be about Steven Stills, who alienated his bandmates by referring to them as his "back-up singers" on stage, but Young later admitted it was about one of his other bandmates, Graham Nash, who was heartbroken after breaking up with Joni Mitchell.

This was Neil Young's first Top 40 hit as a solo artist.  Truly beautiful and was in contention for top song.

Released September 19, 1970

This was Reed's attempt at writing a hit for the Velvet Underground, who were highly influential, but commercially doomed. Loaded was the band's last album, and the title was a reference to the record company mandate that the album be "Loaded with hits."

There was a great deal of acrimony during recording of the album, and Reed left before it was finished. In his absence, "Sweet Jane" was edited down, with a wistful coda removed from the song. This angered Reed, who told Rolling Stone magazine that if he knew they were going to press on with the album, "I would have stayed with them and showed them what to do."

Lou would later release a live version that many are aware of but I love this version.

Q Magazine rated "Sweet Jane" at #18 on its list of 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks, and Guitar World rated it at #81 on its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos, while Rolling Stone ranked it #335 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Studio album by The Velvet Underground Released November 15, 1970

But anyone who ever had a heart, (oh!)
They wouldn't turn around and break it!

From the album Abraxas which was voted number 202 in Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums.  The album was also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

The 1:49 instrumental at the end is called "Gypsy Queen," and was written by the Hungarian jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo. It is included as radio stations usually play "Black Magic Woman" and "Gypsy Queen" as one song.

Released September 23, 1970
Oh come on

I thought the rule was gonna be November 1970 on?

Oh come on

I thought the rule was gonna be November 1970 on?
First page, first post, first paragraph.

---------------------------------------------------------

Posted May 29 (edited)

Tim did his greatest 100 songs of 1971.  I thought it was a great year for music and will attempt to go 100 songs further into 1971 so it is a challenge so to make it 'some-what' even I will include songs released from September of 1970 since they were charting strong in 71 or were just starting to chart at that time. 

This was Reed's attempt at writing a hit for the Velvet Underground, who were highly influential, but commercially doomed. Loaded was the band's last album, and the title was a reference to the record company mandate that the album be "Loaded with hits."

There was a great deal of acrimony during recording of the album, and Reed left before it was finished. In his absence, "Sweet Jane" was edited down, with a wistful coda removed from the song. This angered Reed, who told Rolling Stone magazine that if he knew they were going to press on with the album, "I would have stayed with them and showed them what to do."

Lou would later release a live version that many are aware of but I love this version.

Q Magazine rated "Sweet Jane" at #18 on its list of 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks, and Guitar World rated it at #81 on its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Solos, while Rolling Stone ranked it #335 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Studio album by The Velvet Underground Released November 15, 1970

But anyone who ever had a heart, (oh!)
They wouldn't turn around and break it!
With all due respect, but seeing Sweet Jane on a greatest guitar tracks all of time list reminds me of seeing Kurt Cobain in the top 20 guitarists list, or Ringo Starr in the 10 drummers.  I wonder what these people are hearing sometimes. :lol: :P

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice little tune, but one of the greatest guitar songs of all time?  No f'ing way.

With all due respect, but seeing Sweet Jane on a greatest guitar tracks all of time list reminds me of seeing Kurt Cobain in the top 20 guitarists list, or Ringo Starr in the 10 drummers.  I wonder what these people are hearing sometimes. :lol: :P

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice little tune, but one of the greatest guitar songs of all time?  No f'ing way.
Maybe they were thinking of Lou Reed's live version on Rock N Roll Animal with guitarists **** Wagner and Steve Hunter.

https://youtu.be/a4VuHHqIBqI

Mick Jagger had many relationships he could base this on, including his breakup with Marianne Faithfull. He broke up with her after she tried to commit suicide while they were in Australia in late 1969 (Mick was filming Ned Kelly). As soon as Marianne recovered, Mick dumped her.

Engineer Andy Johns told told the story about how this tune came together.

Keith Richards arrived at Stargroves after his bandmates had been working on this song for a while with little success. According to Johns, the song sounded sluggish until Richards strapped on his guitar. "He put on his clear Perspex guitar and kicked up the tempo," Johns said. "The song went from a laconic mess to being all about the groove. Just instantly. As soon as Keith started playing, he transformed the song into what it was meant to be."

Keith Richards said: "It comes off pretty smooth, but it's quite tricky. There's an interesting bridge you have to watch out for. Otherwise, it's straightforward rock and soul that we love. It's Charlie Watts' meat and potatoes."

Released 16 April 1971

Drummer Dallas Taylor said: "The song was written in the middle of the Deja Vu sessions, when Nash told Stephen they still didn't have an opener for the album. It was something of a message to the group, since it had become a real struggle to keep the band together at that point. Stephen combined two unfinished songs and stuck them onto a jam we'd had out in the studio a few nights before, me on drums and Stephen on a Hammond B-3 organ. As the track begins I'm playing bass drums and high hat, and Graham is playing congas. Then we go into a 6/8 groove, which is rather obscure - Stephen loved to change gears that way. The sessions would go on all night, sometimes 3 or 4 days non-stop. The thing I loved about the studio was you could never tell if it was day or night, and we hid all the clocks so no one knew what time it was."

God I love this tune.  My first 'big' concert was CSN at the Colorado open amphitheater Red Rocks.  It was a gorgeous evening and when they sang Guinevere the harmony was soo tight it literally took my breath away.

Released September 1970

Where are you going now my love?
Where will you be tomorrow?
Will you bring me happiness?
Will you bring me sorrow?
Are they questions of a thousand dreams
What you do and what you see
Lover can you talk to me?

Pattie freak'n Boyd.  Helen of Troy's face launched a 1,000 ships.  Pattie Boyd muse inspired 10 rock and roll songs. 

Layla in Real Life: 10 Songs Written About Pattie Boyd   = THE BEATLES // "I NEED YOU" (1965) THE BEATLES // "SOMETHING" (1969)THE BEATLES // "FOR YOU BLUE" (1970)DEREK AND THE DOMINOS // "LAYLA" (1970) RONNIE WOOD // "MYSTIFIES ME" (1974) AND "BREATHE ON ME" (1975) GEORGE HARRISON // "SO SAD" (1974) ERIC CLAPTON // "WONDERFUL TONIGHT" (1977) ERIC CLAPTON // "SHE'S WAITING" (1985) ERIC CLAPTON // "OLD LOVE" (1989)

The song was inspired by a love story that originated in 7th-century Arabia and later formed the basis of The Story of Layla and Majnun by the 12th-century Persian poet Nizami Ganjavi, a copy of which Ian Dallas had given to Clapton. The book moved Clapton profoundly, because it was the tale of a young man who fell hopelessly in love with a beautiful young girl, went crazy and so could not marry her. The song was further inspired by Clapton's then-unrequited love for Pattie Boyd, the wife of his friend and fellow musician George Harrison of the Beatles. Clapton and Boyd would eventually marry.

If all of the unrequited love  backstory wasn't tragic enough then consider the incredible piano coda at the end of the song.  

If you were not aware of the murder committed by drummer Jim Gordon who played and would later murder his mother...  You have to read if you don't know the story.

Music: The tragedy of the ‘Layla’ coda

It’s one of the most famous three minutes and 48 seconds in rock n’ roll. And its story is marked by theft, madness, domestic violence — and murder...

...  A searing guitar riff and Clapton’s tortured vocals would have made “Layla” memorable no matter what. But sealing the deal was a nearly four-minute piano coda of such sheer loveliness that “Layla” was recognized almost immediately as a new classic....

... The coda was credited to drummer Jim Gordon, who played the main piano part
Number one with a bullet/hammer.

Released March 1971

The name Layla is of Hebrew and Arabic origin.

The meaning of Layla is "night".

2 100s & STILL no #1 popular song of 1971?!?!
Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1971

1"Joy to the World"Three Dog Night - My list

2"Maggie May"/"Reason to Believe"Rod Stewart - Tims list

3"It's Too Late"/"I Feel the Earth Move"Carole King - Tim

4"One Bad Apple"The Osmonds - Not listed

5"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart"Bee Gees - Not listed

6"Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Reservation Indian)"Paul Revere & the Raiders - Got two votes lost 

7"Go Away Little Girl"Donny Osmond - Not listed

8"Take Me Home, Country Roads"John Denver - Tim

9"Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)"The Temptations - Tim

10"Knock Three Times"Tony Orlando and Dawn - My list

Users who are viewing this thread