What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 Oakland Raiders In-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Looking forward to this game. I grew up hating the Raiders because they knocked the Jets out of the 01 and 02 playoffs. I'm not expecting this game to be a blowout like it was 2 years ago, and I'm really worried about the Raiders D-line against the Jets pretty awful (thus far) O-line. Also it's frustrating that I know Cro won't be able to return any kicks. I think the Jets should win a close game, but a loss wouldn't shock me at all.

Any inside info on jacoby? Really high on him coming into the season but its getting harder to hold onto him...

Any inside info on jacoby? Really high on him coming into the season but its getting harder to hold onto him...
Still not practicing this week as of yesterday. I would be surprised to see him play this weekend at this point.

Still not practicing this week as of yesterday. I would be surprised to see him play this weekend at this point.
He did not practiced again today, and Gutierrez reported on Twitter Ford as being out this week, along with the likes of Louis Murphy and Mike Mitchell. (sorry don't have the link)

He did not practiced again today, and Gutierrez reported on Twitter Ford as being out this week, along with the likes of Louis Murphy and Mike Mitchell. (sorry don't have the link)
Not surprising. I'd expect to see DHB and Moore as the starters, with Hagan getting a heavy rotation of plays. It'll be interesting to see the new wrinkle that Kevin Boss adds. He should upgrade the blocking, as well as provide a viable TE target that Oakland lacked in those first 2 games. I hope Boss can snag a TD this game, as you know the Jets are going to tighten up at the goal line. Boss couldn't have come at a more opportune time.

Big win. I thought Jason Campbell showed great decision making to keep drives going and not turn over the ball. Injuries to CJ and Huff could loom large next week with the Patriots coming to town.

The bullies of the west coast took down the bullies of the east coast. When Sanchez found out that last scamper fell short of the goal line, didn't you just want to shove a hot dog down his throat?

Big win. I thought Jason Campbell showed great decision making to keep drives going and not turn over the ball. Injuries to CJ and Huff could loom large next week with the Patriots coming to town.
Love to get Ford back too. This matchup looks bad for us.

DMC helps Raiders beat Jets

The Jets won the toss and deferred allowing Oakland to launch a hurry up offensive drive that ended up in the end zone with barely anytime off the clock.

The Raiders then went 3 and out 3 times as the Jets put up 17 unanswered.

7 of those points came from former Charger RB LaDanian Tomlinson reared his ugly head and scored on a 74 yd scamper after poor tackling allowed the prolific RB to break free.

Safety Tyvon Branch sprinted from the LOS on the far sideline to knock him out at the 1. Amazing football speed. The Jets punched it in for the score but Oakland found their footing and their O.

The Jets came out and moved the ball thanks to a boat load of Raider defensive penalties but like we've said, Oakland plays better when they have a boat load of penalties.

One of the Al Davis' Raider paradoxes that we love to hate. Bizzaro Silver and Black. Jekyll and Hyde...

Raider depth was responsible for saving their bacon especially in the 2nd half when they struggled to extricate themselves from 3rd downs.

CB Stanford Routt had 3 P.I.s and his fellow Defenders contributed too many more but the depth, the talent and the violence of Oakland’s bigger, stronger, faster philosophy was on full display.

Razzle dazzle play calling by HC Hue and a fumble by CB Antonio Cromartie on a 2nd half kick off return saw the Raiders with a 14 point swing inside of :40 sedonds reminding us of the all time classic against the Jets "the Heidi Bowl".

Cromartie spouted off to the Bay Area media this week that Oakland wanted him and offered more than NY but he wanted to stay with the Jets because they were closer to the Super bowl.

They may be but today Cromartie ate crow. Before leaving the game in the 2nd half with a rib injury he had 4 P.I.s to go with his botched kick return.

We've touted what a great story Jarvis Moss would be and that he was indeed poised for greatness based on our assessment this off season but he waited till he was home before he caught fire.

Against D coordinator Chuck Bresnahan's ugly Prevent D the Jets drove 93 yards and scored on a perfect pass over rookie CB Chimdi Chekwa. Excellent coverage, just a perfect Sanchez pass.

Chekwa was miscast as a Safety until forced in to service with the injury to starter Chris Johnson early on.

Chekwa was magnificent.

Oakland drove the ball down field in part thanks to a great scramble and improvised feather pass to a sideline streaking Michael Bush that set up a 43 yard Janikowski field goal that put the Raiders up 34-24 close to the 2 minute warning.

Jets QB Mark Sanchez drove their offense into Raider territory after a 50 kickoff return. Oakland coverage units were the one let down today.

The Jets drove the ball to the two yard line and it took a booth review with :49 seconds left on a 4th and goal to give Oakland the ball and the big big win.

RB Darren McFadden shredded the Jets D with a career high 171 yards rushing on 19 carries and 2 TDs and Oakland’s depleted Secondary, now missing Chris Johnson, Huff and a host of others still managed a solid win with help from an at times ferocious blitz and with well timed leaps to bat balls at the LOS.

A great win and a wonderful home opener for the Raider faithful.

Great win for the Beloved Silver and Black.

Run-DMC is the best RB in the league at this point, including All Day. He is a man among boys, running with speed and power.

I'd really like better play in our secondary; Routt has got to stop holding. Nonetheless, very proud of the Raiders.

The Patriots were up 21 points on the Bills and lost. With the Raiders rebounding with a bigger win against the Jets, it makes you feel a lot better.

This game started well but then quickly turned bad. McClain failed to wrap up Tomlinson, the kick coverage fell apart, and the defense again gave away first down after first down with penalties. This time though, the D didnt continue to get worse, it got better. We won the turnover battle and we began to get pressure on the QB. Once we got the lead back, the game was ours.

Our running game is the best in the league and we ran right over one of the league's best defenses. Let's hope Run DMC's injury doesnt keep him out of any games. Campbell didnt make any mistakes, choosing to throw the ball away instead of forcing throws, even on third down. That's how you beat a team like the Jets. Moore showed he has moore to offer than catching jump balls. What an athlete he is. I said we'd probably need special teams and/or trick plays this week. Two trick plays in a row got us a touchdown and the special teams made up for early mistakes by forcing a fumble and another long Janikowski field goal.

Other than Tomlinson, our D tackled better this week. There were still a few coverage break downs but you have to consider the injuries in our secondary. I liked what I saw from Chekwa. Even though he gave up a TD, his hand was on the ball. He also had a penalty but the refs were calling frequent penalties on both secondary units. The Jets corners play physical like ours do so the refs were looking to throw flags for pass interference or defensive holding. Didnt notice any offensive holding calls despite plenty of opportunities to throw a flag. The flags actually ended up helping us today even though we took some costly penalties. A few were bad calls including offsetting penalties on the same play. Hopefully the refs dont continue to target our corners the rest of the season. We do hold a lot and we were lucky that the Jets do the same. While the D didnt play as well in the first half as they did last week, they didnt wear down and played much better in the second half. Being at home and better ball control from the offense helped a lot.

Next up Patriots... Their turn to play back to back road games and fly accross the country. Only they dont have a short week like we did. Tom Brady against our banged up secondary is scary. We'll need another strong performance simuliar to this one, only with added production from our passing game. If we can play tough with the Bills and Jets, maybe we can play tough with the Pats. I believe we have a good team, let's find out how good.

Obvious props go to McFadden, but I give as much to the o-line -- they are actually playing well and giving Campbell time in the pocket, and opening up lanes for the run game. Better yet, Veldheer has developed into a solid left tackle, a position we haven't had consistency at since the last Superbowl we were in.

That the Raiders jump out to early leads is great -- that they still let teams come back in the second half is still worrisome. Our secondary is going to get badly tested next week again.

Not expecting the moon, but if we can keep putting up points to stay with NE, we can make it a game.

:football:

Oakland has a mysterious CB in for tryouts today... A couple of guys have tweeted about it, but no names yet.

Oakland has a mysterious CB in for tryouts today... A couple of guys have tweeted about it, but no names yet.
DB Ron Parker signed to practice squad. Parker played safety in college. 4.35 40 time. Sterling Moore released from practice squadMove could mean several things. Chekwa played well at CB so maybe the experiment with him at FS is over with. Mitchell's injury could be lingering and Huff is nicked now as well. Corners also nicked though. Could mean injuries are more serious at safety or it could mean Moore will be signed to the roster soon. Might not really mean much of anything.

Obvious props go to McFadden, but I give as much to the o-line -- they are actually playing well and giving Campbell time in the pocket, and opening up lanes for the run game. Better yet, Veldheer has developed into a solid left tackle, a position we haven't had consistency at since the last Superbowl we were in.

That the Raiders jump out to early leads is great -- that they still let teams come back in the second half is still worrisome. Our secondary is going to get badly tested next week again.

Not expecting the moon, but if we can keep putting up points to stay with NE, we can make it a game.
I agree, but I am not surprised. The nature of this defense, is it will get big plays, and give up big plays. In general, I just kind of shake my head at the lack of imagination, and hope the line gets pressure. Because if the don't, someone is going to be open, wide open. I don't care if you have Deion, Champ, Aso, and Mel Blount back there. It's really frustrating when the Raiders DO deviate from the Cover-1, and throw a zone blitz or a corner blitz at an offense, because it invariably works. Teams are so shocked that they don't know where every player will be on defense (except the strong safety) that good things usually happen for Oakland. The other thing, that we need to realize, is that by running man-to-man with very little help, it lends itself to the PI and defensive holding calls. I think the refs don't want to call it all the time, and I am sure they let a bit go, and maybe if the Raiders were in zone some if the time, the refs wouldn't be watching the CB/WR one-on-one battle all day, until he finally says, 'well, he went a bit far there....' Defensive holding doesn't happen in zone too much, ya know?

I had no real problem with the calls in the game, considering that there is the strange habit of not replaying a LOT of the Raider defensive penalties. More fodder for the conspiracy theorists, and I must admit, it drives me nuts.

Not true: I had a problem with one call: Donald Strickland interfered with DHB on the deep throw, before SeaBass' 49 yarder. I don't care if DHB should have fought more for the ball (he should have), and if it was just DHB, a player no one likes. That puts the ball 1st and goal on the one or two, and Bush waltzed into the end zone in a simialr situation not long before. DHB is no Fitzgerald, but Strickland is no Champ Bailey either. Two average players, no superstar mulligan, flag should have been thrown.

Jason Campbell: My favorite Jason Campbell play? An incompletion. 3rd quarter I think: Feels the pressure, has to scramble up the gut, makes a quick toss to Rock Cartwright, cutting over the middle, and Rock drops it. I had that feeling, and I am sure I am not the only Raider fan, that when Campbell improvises, our odds don't improve. It was a 'Hoo boy, here we go" kind of feeling, against an aggressive Jets D. Instead, he kept his wits, made a smart play, and all I could think was, man, what if that was Reece or Taiwan on the other end of that pass? Campbell has continued to show game manager skills, making good decisions, and control of the offense. So far, so good.

DMC: Can't remember seeing a back this dangerous in a long time. Maybe even more than CJ's 2,000 yard year. Right now, best RB in football. Adrian is still a better overall back, his talent is just sick, but even he doesn't have DMC's homerun ability. You can see the tension on the D when he gets the ball. The entire offense needs to run through him, every play. Either play action of a DMC fake, or him in motion, freaking out the linebackers, or just giving him the rock.

Moore: needs to get 6+ targets a game. Period. I would say more, but we only throw the dang thing 25 times a game.

Chaz: Nice to see him get some work. I expect him to have some good games before it's all said and done.

DHB: I just don't think it's gonna happen. Doesn't look particularly fast, when he makes a play, he gets tackled. Just feel like any ball he gets, someone else would do Moore with ( :excited: ).

The O-line: Well, man. We have seen defenses like this come in and overwhelm the offensive line, and recently. The way they have been playing, with a 2nd year LT, rookie LG, and first time RT is one of the most untold stories of the NFL this year. People better start recognizin'........

The D-Line: Houston is fast becoming my favorite Raider. Love him. I have zero problem with the Seymour trade. These kids needed to learn how to be a pro, a champ, and long after he is gone, his presence will be felt. I truly believe that. Jarvis Moss? Umm, hello? Old school Raider reclamation project? He did more than Shaugnessy, heck more than anyone except DMC in this game. Might have a keeper here. Not a starter, Shaugnessy does a lot of good things, but I do think he is more dangerous on 3rd and long. Much better than Trevor Scott. A DE rotation of Houston/Kam/Shaugnessy/Moss looks OK to me. Damn good, in fact.

Linebackers: McClain is good, just remains to be seen how good he becomes. I don't care about tackle numbers, unless they are within 3 yards of the LOS. Morrison had a lot, and he wasn't a good MLB. Kam was a nice call, I never thought he would be a decent LB, but he is. And his versatility really makes him valuable. Groves is probably the weak link on the D, but he does good with what he has. The lack of speed here is gonna bite us, which of these guys covers Woodhead? Or Sproles? This gets back to our Cover-1 D, so we'll move on. :(

Chimdi Chekwa: Nice first game, I like his build, thick and strong. Wild guess: He gets a sack pretty soon. Just looks like he'd be a good blitzer. Use him instead of Branch, who is NOT a good blitzer.

Michael Huff: We need him out there, hope he gets healthy soon. Having one of the fastest FS in the game is key for us, and his one-on-one ability is a dimension this team needs. Good pass rusher too.

I hate to say it, but I think it could get ugly next week. I don't really see us being able to even slow down Brady. I think the way you do it is to get consistent pressure up the middle, and take away Welker. And smack them around. I would have Seymour and Houston inside most of the time, slashing and shoving. Pressure from the edge doesn't bother him one bit. Too many options for Tom Brady, and Woodhead is the kind of back that absolutely eats our lunch. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of defensive wrinkles next week, Bres and Hue have to know we can't line up head up on this team. Heck, we can't matchup with Gronk with any of our LBs. I think Brady might not even bother with his outside WRs, why risk it? Passes to Welker, Gronk, and screens and draws to Woodhead.

Strategy this week should be to keep the Pats offense off the field. That means we must sustain long drives by converting on third down. Its been one of our weaknesses. We didnt convert a single third down against the Jets. Against a team like the Jets it was more about winning the turnover battle and making the big play. The Patriots though are a different opponent. A quick score only puts the puts their offense back on the field to wear down our defense. The defense must play physical against the Patriots receivers and make tackles. The defensive line must get to Brady and also get their hands up to bat down passes.

The Jets head coach Rex Ryan earlier this year in a press conference challenged the rest of the AFC by asking if anybody else besides the Jets can beat the Patriots. The Jets play the Patriots well because they play physical and they run the ball against them. A couple of years ago the Dolphins upset the Patriots by breaking out the wildcat offense and running steadily down the field which the Patriots werent prepared for. Well, we are the league's best rushing team and we just outmuscled the Jets. So the ability is there if we can convert those third downs and if our defense plays better than it has so far. Our secondary looks banged up right now but the best way to handle the Patriot receivers is to bump them hard at the line and hit them even harder when they get their hands on the ball. Better to go back to playing more man to man coverage this week. Brady and Welker will eat up a zone all day. If they beat us with the deep ball, at least our defense wont be on the field as long.

'massraider said:
I don't really see us being able to even slow down Brady. I think the way you do it is to get consistent pressure up the middle, and take away Welker. And smack them around. I would have Seymour and Houston inside most of the time, slashing and shoving. Pressure from the edge doesn't bother him one bit.
I agree 100% on this. I know it was only preseason, but the Lions clearly disturbed Brady with interior DLine pressure the entire game. If they let him sit back there with time, the game will get out of control very quickly.

'massraider said:
I don't really see us being able to even slow down Brady. I think the way you do it is to get consistent pressure up the middle, and take away Welker. And smack them around. I would have Seymour and Houston inside most of the time, slashing and shoving. Pressure from the edge doesn't bother him one bit.
I agree 100% on this. I know it was only preseason, but the Lions clearly disturbed Brady with interior DLine pressure the entire game. If they let him sit back there with time, the game will get out of control very quickly.
The Lions did a great job in getting Brady out of his comfort zone. He's a different passer when he has a busy pocket. He doesn't like people around his feet. Anything that can make him shuffle in & out of the pocket is to the defense's advantage. Also, notice that the Bills put in 7 defensive back and played no linebackers in that second half comeback. Not that we have the secondary talent, but we need to stack the middle defense with as many skilled DB's as possible. Game will be won and lost in the secondary. Chimdi Checkwa looked really good, even on the two completions he gave up to Plax. Moving forward, would like to see more of Chimdi as the starter of Chris Johnson.

'massraider said:
The Lions did a great job in getting Brady out of his comfort zone. He's a different passer when he has a busy pocket. He doesn't like people around his feet. Anything that can make him shuffle in & out of the pocket is to the defense's advantage. Also, notice that the Bills put in 7 defensive back and played no linebackers in that second half comeback. Not that we have the secondary talent, but we need to stack the middle defense with as many skilled DB's as possible. Game will be won and lost in the secondary. Chimdi Checkwa looked really good, even on the two completions he gave up to Plax. Moving forward, would like to see more of Chimdi as the starter of Chris Johnson.
Would be huge to get Mike Mitchell back in this game since he can play the LB/DB role perfectly.

I'm very anxious about this game for different reasons. First, I am scared to death when we have to face high-flying teams with great passing games. Look at all the points we gave up in the 2nd half at Buffalo... and Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't exactly Dan Marino. I also can't get the two preseason games against New Orleans (one in 2009, one this year) out of my head. Brees and the Saints went UP AND DOWN THE FIELD AT WILL against our 1's. They did whatever they wanted to and we were helpless to stop it. The thought of going up against Brady, coming off a loss, is a bit worrisome. I agree with Coach that ball control is the key to the game. The good news is, N.E. is dead last in defense.

The other thing is, I live in New England, right in the heart of Patriots country. I have been eating s##t from bandwagon Pats fans for ten years, especially walking the streets with a Raiders tattoo. Wish I had a nickel for every time someone brought up the Snow Bowl. That said, it is almost unfathomable to me that the Pats are only favored by 3.5 points. I don't mean that I think they should be favored by more. I mean that if you had told me before the season started that's what the line would be for this game, I would not have believed it. Seems like we've come so far in such a short time. I feel like my offseason excitement about Hue has already been justified. It's just nice to see the Raiders finally getting some measure of respect for the first time in a LONG time. Some people are listing Oakland in the Top-10 in their Power Rankings. If they beat the Pats, I will be a true believer that we can make the playoffs THIS season. No doubt about it. Then, our reward will be facing another high-flying offense next week... at Houston. :no:

BTW.... now imagine we took Calvin instead of JaMarcus.

:wall:

This offense would be completely and totally unstoppable.

Here's a snippet from the KC Joyner ESPN INSIDER piece today about the Raiders as a legitimate playoff team. The part that caught my eye is how well the Raiders were doing metric wise on defense.

The improvements are not limited to the offensive side of the ball, however.No team allowed more rushing yards in 2008-10 than the Raiders, but this year they've done a very good job of stopping the run. They are presenting the opposing team with an unfavorable blocking situation 56.8 percent of the time. Only three teams posted a 50 percent or higher total in this metric last year, so Oakland is on an elite pace here.The Raiders' pass defense is also holding up despite losing the overrated Nnamdi Asomugha to free agency. Oakland ranks tied for seventh in YPA allowed (6.9), 13th in passer rating allowed (85.3) and is one of only six teams with at least 10 sacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
'No. 16 said:
Here's a snippet from the KC Joyner ESPN INSIDER piece today about the Raiders as a legitimate playoff team. The part that caught my eye is how well the Raiders were doing metric wise on defense.

The improvements are not limited to the offensive side of the ball, however.No team allowed more rushing yards in 2008-10 than the Raiders, but this year they've done a very good job of stopping the run. They are presenting the opposing team with an unfavorable blocking situation 56.8 percent of the time. Only three teams posted a 50 percent or higher total in this metric last year, so Oakland is on an elite pace here.The Raiders' pass defense is also holding up despite losing the overrated Nnamdi Asomugha to free agency. Oakland ranks tied for seventh in YPA allowed (6.9), 13th in passer rating allowed (85.3) and is one of only six teams with at least 10 sacks.
I hate articles like these. Forget about the superstition of having people say this, and forget about the expectation it raises in my heart for the beloved Silver & Black.It’s simply too early in the season to make this kind of call about the Raiders. Week 1 is always a roller coaster upset-fest, more so this year given a short preseason thanks to lock-out drama. Week 2 and 3 we see glimmers of proof of concept of teams that will endure for the season (i.e. Bills being strong, the Dolphins and Vikings and Bears not so much).We also see some weak links in some team's perennial strong chains -- PIT, for example, still has D but without a power run game, can Ben hold up the passing game? Washington and Dallas are winning games more than they are losing them, but Grossman and Romo have shown they can lose a game for the team as much as he can win one, and the production around them is inconsistent.For the Raiders, they showed that they can compete with perennially strong teams (Jets), with breakout teams that are for real this year (Bills) and that they can still dominate weaker division rivals (Broncs).They have also shown that their running game is still one of the most productive in the league, that their D can step up and play aggressively, and that they can put points on the board to stay competitive. But they have also shown some glaring weaknesses in their secondary, and wild inconsistency with their LB play. DMoore aside, they have a need for some consistent WRs play across the unit. This enables high flying offensive teams like the Bills and Jets to come back on them. And while Campbell is a good game manager, he's no Brady or Brees in terms of ensuring he can march the team down the field with the weapons he has.So to start talking about this team as a legitimate playoff team is way to premature right now. This week will tell a lot. If the Raiders can limit the Pats run with their front line, and get some consistent pressure on the pocket, they have a chance to keep up. A healthy and productive Ford and having a guy like Boss step up as well could mean all the difference against a team with som many potent weapons like the Pats. Let's win this game first with some -- then it will have me believing.

From the Depths

BREAKDOWN LANE

We're nowhere near done breaking down film on this game but some interesting and spectacular things so far.

VETERAN SAVVY AND HYBRID THEORY

FB Marcel Reece was injured and out early against the New York Jets, and his absence was the reason for 5-8, 217 lb RB Rock Cartwright subbing at Fullback. The versatile former Redskin has played the position before but served as a stop gap for the dinged up Reece and is an invaluable Special Teams force.

No official word from the Raiders or Reece but it’s rumored he may have an ankle injury.

Fortunately as part of its hybrid Nation campaign Oakland has been utilizing rookie TE Richard Gordon at FB and H back in goal line and certain packages. They're also running more shot gun and single back formations. Have no illusions, Reece would be missed but Oakland demonstrated it can compensate and creatively adjust on the fly. And I think I've just given my first compliments to Oakland philosophy and Coaching.

FROM THE DEPTHS

Safety Tyvon Branch has formed a reputation for poor coverage and is working hard to correct that notion reading well and putting himself in position to not only defend but to intercept. Last week he had an end zone pass slip through his hands. This week his end zone interception of a Sanchez pass ended a serious scoring 1st quarter scoring threat.

Safeties Matt Giordano and Jerome Boyd are making plays and better yet not blowing them either. DB Joey Porter is even throwing his hat in the ring. As we hinted in an earlier article CB Sterling Moore may join the4 53 depending on the status of FS Michael Huff (concussion), SS Mike Mitchell (knee) and CB Chris Johnson (groin). Sterling is one of our camp favorites with a nose for the ball, is a play maker and has a willingness to stick his nose in on the run game. Oakland can use the help in their ever dwindling secondary corps.

Even if one or two of them are game ready, Oakland may let WR/KR Nick Miller and use rookies Denarius Moore and Taiwan Jones to handle return duties.

Jones looked awesome on an 8 yard run and recovering Antonio Cromartie's fumbled return that saw Oakland take a 14 point swing inside of 40 seconds.

Taiwan is a special player. You're gonna love him.

Players like classic Raider reclamation project DE Jarvis Moss accounted for 2.5 sacks and relentless pressure on QB Mark Sanchez in the 6-6, 260 lb DE's break out game. Fellow resurrect LB Quentin Groves is looking more and more impressive making reads and violent stops especially in the run game. Another great success story and like Moss, another first round reclamation project paying off.

Classic Raiders, Classic Al Davis.

They keep this up and main stream media will be forced to acknowledge it.

SHADOW WARRIORS

Aside from Richard Gordon, there are other Raider rookies quietly rotating in and making solid contributions. We've mentioned DB Chimdi Chekwa's impressive pinch hitting home town debut.

Rookie WR Denarius Moore is quickly becoming a house hold name and a human highlight reel.

OL Joseph Barksdale is making plays in certain packages and in rotational duties and not just on running plays. Fellow rookie Lineman Stephan Wisniewski is doing a very solid job starting at Left Guard.

Guaranteed collective "OOOH!!!" from his teammates when they show Center Samson Satele laying a de-cleater on a helpless Jet Safety trying to contain the run on Moore's end around TD. Sadly, there wasn't enough left of him for us to make a positive I.D.

The Raider O line has out-performed expectations so far but remember, McFadden makes O lines look good and makes the play fake, as we witnessed today, a weapon to be feared and for Jason Campbell to love.

TE Kevin Boss made his debut and after an opening drive 28 yard grab he took to the 1 yd line, he remained fairly quiet he did lay down the blocks and in fact sprung McFadden on his 70 yd TD scamper.

Oakland’s stars are making plays but it’s the soldiers in the trenches and reserves that are getting the job done and quietly making this team a viable and dominant force.

Most shocking of all this week 3 is the revelation that this is a real team and functioning as such, the sum of its exceptional parts are combining into one very capable and very dangerous machine.

Injury Report and Strategy to beat the Pats

We're not ones to fawn over teams mandatory Friday injury reports because frankly, they don't mean much. If a player is injured to the point he likely won't be able to play the next week, we usually know it. Rarely there is a surprise, because players can rebound, and/or teams can successfully hide a players true status to gain some kind of real or imagined advantage.

Having said all of that, we are concerned with today’s absence of DE Matt Shaughnessy (shoulder) and FS Michael Huff who apparently passed NFL concussion protocols and participated in practice yesterday was a no show on the field today.

HC Hue Jackson had this to say about Huff's not participating in team drills:

“I’m not going to say it’s a bad sign,” Jackson said. “Obviously, we’re being overly cautious. We have to make sure that he is where he needs to be. We have to put healthy players out there.”

Typically cryptic.

There is depth at DE to help cover for Shaughnessy but Oakland would rather have the burgeoning, pass rushing, edge setting book end for Sundays matchup.

The Raiders managed without Huff last week and there is a possibility fellow Safety Mike Mitchell could return but his viability after such a prolonged absence after off season knee surgery is in question.

We've mentioned it a lot so we won't belabor the point, but Oakland could use the help at the 3rd level. We think both will see time on Sunday unless Huff has taken a turn.

We don't expect CB Chris Johnson to play Sunday when the Patriots come to town. Johnson struggled mightily when he was able to take the field. A hamstring injury should keep him sidelined. Both rookie DBs Chimdi Chekwa and DeMarcus Van Dyke appear on the injured list but both should be game ready. The Raiders will likely need all the help they can get against New England’s League leading, pass happy offense.

The polar opposite is true of the Pats dinged up Secondary, who may get a one-armed Patrick Chung back, but likely not Ras-I-Dowling. But the obvious strategy would be to ground and pound the Pats cellar dwelling Defense. The Pats are ranked dead last against the pass, but 10th against the run. That’s a little misleading because their injury decimated secondary has invited teams to shred them through the air, so there really hasn't been a need to run against them. For the first time since the Gannon era the Raiders finally have the option to go air if need be.

Notably NOT on today’s injury report is WR/KR Jacoby Ford who is back from a hamstring issue. “I’ll be on the field,” Ford said. “I definitely will be playing. I don’t know how much, don’t know when. Whenever they want me in there, then I’m going to go.”

Combined with shrewd play calling, excellent coaching, an excellent depth based rotational game plan, and a new found focus and willingness to go above and beyond by Raider players, Oakland is in a position to smite an old foe, improve their record and make a "Changing of the Guard" statement to the NFL.

Pats visit rising Raiders

Sunday's matchup with New England could be telling for the Raider Nation. Oakland beat the hell out of New York but Tom Brady and the Patriots are another animal.

Brady and the Patriot Offense look unstoppable. WR Wes Welker posted 16 catches last Sunday against the Bills, but despite having the number one Offense in the League (and it’s not even close) the Pats ended up losing, in part because of Brady's uncharacteristic 4 interceptions and in part because of New England’s troubled D. Ranked dead last in the NFL the Patriots defense is similar to the Oakland D in that it is razor thin at Safety.

Oakland has compensated well with solid Coaching and reserve players stepping up. New England has not been as successful.

Starting Safety Patrick Chung is sporting a big black cast on his hand courtesy of the surgery needed to repair a broken thumb. The Patriots were hoping to have him back in time for Buffalo. He may be active against Oakland. Even with a one handed Chung the Patriots are dangerously thin and inexperienced at the 3rd level.

New England already has a one handed Safety manning the back half. Including last week, one handed S Josh Barrett has 3 games experience in a Patriots uniform. DB Sergio Brown has also gotten playing time in the first two weeks, in just his second season since joining the team as an undrafted rookie out of Notre Dame, Brown was elevated off the practice squad midway through last year.

DB James Ihedigbo is seeing time in the secondary as fill in as well. Fellow DB Ross Ventrone was promoted from the practice squad this weekend. Barrett seems to have the most potential of the group but remember, has a cast on his right hand. Ihedigbo is more experience on special teams than defense in his career.

DB is not the only area New England's D is thin. With DT Myron Pryor and Ron Brace out of the lineup, the Pats will look to stalwart Vince Wilfork and maybe the most over paid player in the history of the sport, Fat Albert Haynesworth, who missed last week’s game due to his persistent back injury.

Have no illusions though, when motivated this selfish player can dominate. We hope he doesn't read this and that he sits out another one. If he plays we hope Darren McFadden posts 200+.

The Patriots are also thin on their O line and with 15 players out and injured last week they'll hope return some and bolster their roster this week and have made a living off of system over talent.

Given the dichotomy of New England's #1 Offense and 32nd ranked Defense it’s pretty obvious Oakland’s game plan should be to give the Pats a steady diet of their top ranked rushing offense in hopes of putting up points and eating up the clock, thusly keeping the Brady / Welker / Ochocinco / Gronkowski scoring machine off the field.

The good news is, even if they fail to run, Oakland now has the capability and depth at WR to take the game to the air if they need to and that’s the Raiders dangerous new dimension.

Even so Oakland’s dinged up 3rd level and struggling second level defenders will have their hands full this Sunday when New England comes to town.

Full strength or not.

It’s also a chance for Oakland to drive a dagger into a dominant football monster that has plagued the League for more than a decade and in doing so stake their claim as a legitimate contender.

Has there been a decision on the Pryor appeal? Did he appeal? I'm lost on where that stands...

Has there been a decision on the Pryor appeal? Did he appeal? I'm lost on where that stands...
Goodell upheld his suspension as expected. This was destined to end up in court. The Raiders expected Pryor to miss the 5 weeks so it has little impact on the team. The players union and league will continue their fight. If the union wins this one in court, Pryor could end up getting some money out of it. Also the strong chance of it being settled outside the court room. Regardless of what happens with the possibility of future suspensions for NCAA violations, Pryor wont get to practice with the team for another week and a half.

I am a little upset it took so long. What if he Pryor had won his appeal? He doesn't get 4 weeks of practice back. Who ever heard of an appeal taking 4 weeks? Absurd.

I am a little upset it took so long. What if he Pryor had won his appeal? He doesn't get 4 weeks of practice back. Who ever heard of an appeal taking 4 weeks? Absurd.
I agree. In comparison to how quickly other appeals have been dealt with, this has been moving at a snail's pace.

I'm very anxious about this game for different reasons. First, I am scared to death when we have to face high-flying teams with great passing games. Look at all the points we gave up in the 2nd half at Buffalo... and Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't exactly Dan Marino. I also can't get the two preseason games against New Orleans (one in 2009, one this year) out of my head. Brees and the Saints went UP AND DOWN THE FIELD AT WILL against our 1's. They did whatever they wanted to and we were helpless to stop it. The thought of going up against Brady, coming off a loss, is a bit worrisome. I agree with Coach that ball control is the key to the game. The good news is, N.E. is dead last in defense.

The other thing is, I live in New England, right in the heart of Patriots country. I have been eating s##t from bandwagon Pats fans for ten years, especially walking the streets with a Raiders tattoo. Wish I had a nickel for every time someone brought up the Snow Bowl. That said, it is almost unfathomable to me that the Pats are only favored by 3.5 points. I don't mean that I think they should be favored by more. I mean that if you had told me before the season started that's what the line would be for this game, I would not have believed it. Seems like we've come so far in such a short time. I feel like my offseason excitement about Hue has already been justified. It's just nice to see the Raiders finally getting some measure of respect for the first time in a LONG time. Some people are listing Oakland in the Top-10 in their Power Rankings. If they beat the Pats, I will be a true believer that we can make the playoffs THIS season. No doubt about it. Then, our reward will be facing another high-flying offense next week... at Houston. :no:

BTW.... now imagine we took Calvin instead of JaMarcus.

This offense would be completely and totally unstoppable.
I said the same thing when we told Gallery over Larry Fitzgerald.

:wall:

DB Ron Parker signed to practice squad. Parker played safety in college. 4.35 40 time. Sterling Moore released from practice squadMove could mean several things. Chekwa played well at CB so maybe the experiment with him at FS is over with. Mitchell's injury could be lingering and Huff is nicked now as well. Corners also nicked though. Could mean injuries are more serious at safety or it could mean Moore will be signed to the roster soon. Might not really mean much of anything.
Parker signed to rosterNick Miller released

Can't believe the penalties on Seymour. Inexcusable. Reminded me of Pittsburgh last year when he slapped Big Ben. We have a shot at showing what we can do against a great team and he let's his emotions take over like that?? And he's our veteran leader? Very disappointing.

Can't believe the penalties on Seymour. Inexcusable. Reminded me of Pittsburgh last year when he slapped Big Ben. We have a shot at showing what we can do against a great team and he let's his emotions take over like that?? And he's our veteran leader? Very disappointing.
I have no means of communicating this without sounding like I`m making excuses for him, which I am not... He needs to take responsibility for those penalties. However on the face mask, I don`t think it was intentional at all. Attempted to make a tackle amoungst the masses and grabbed the face mask in error. The roughing the passer... yeah... That wasn`t good I think he would have got away with contact, but the extra spin and pulling him down to the ground was a bit too much.Today was a game lost in errors. Not saying that they would have won, but the game would have been a lot closer if it wasn`t for some key mental and execution mistakes. You cannot win a game against Brady and the Pats when two trips to the redzone end in 3 points. The interception in the End Zone was HORRIBLE. And while the picked up PI flag was a joke, the Raiders still had the opportunity to put it in the endzone there, and failed to do so with a bad check down.DHB`s stat line looks a lot better, but watching him catch the ball with his body is painful to watch.I did like the use and play of Kevin Boss, and it was nice to see the Raiders attempt to make some adjustments in their pass coverage. Not that it worked against Welker, but at least the change was made.

Yes mental errors prevented this from being a close contest. I'll try not to talk about the penalties this time though. I'd just be repeating myself. Even though it was a loss, its not like we lost to the Rams or Broncos, this was the Patriots.

Our defense couldnt stop the running game (again) or Welker. They actually played well against the other receivers. Brady to Welker is really hard to stop and we were without Chris Johnson and Huff. Those two guys would have likely been matchup up on Welker in the slot. Not making excuses, but I'm not going to put this defeat on the secondary. Unable to stop BGE and Ridley though... inexcusable. They had huge holes to run through. The plan was obviously to stop Brady, but there should always be people keying on the RB. We werent going to shut out the Patriots, but we blew a lot of opportunties to slow them down.

The offense improved greatly on third downs between the 20s. When they got to the red zone though, they failed to punch it in and turned the ball over. Cant do that against the Patriots. Without the two turnovers, the offense would have had a good game. Campbell passed for a lot more yards than Brady. He spread the ball around, nobody caught more than 4 passes. Reece was missed.

No individual played great but nobody had a particuliarly bad game either. Boss probably played better than anyone else this week. You didnt hear from Routt which means he did his job. The kickers did their job. McFadden did his thing but couldnt get into the end zone. The offensive line played pretty well but had some penalties and sacks. Ford had a nice run but struggled receiving. We saw DHB reach above his head and haul in a reception. DHB is looking decent this year but he did drop an easy one late in this game and still shows room for improvement. The WRs should have been more open against a weak Patriots pass D than they were and I'm talking about every single one of our WRs.

Next week concludes the tough part of the schedule as we travel to Houston. We are about where we were expected to be at 2-2. If can make it through the tough part with a winning record by going 3-2, this division will be ours for the taking. Dont jump off the bandwagon yet.

What do you think is a safer pick in a suicide pool next week:

SAN DIEGO at Denver

HOUSTON vs. Oakland

I love our boys and all, but there is almost $7K in this pool.

I liked the way the D started, i felt like we had a decent gameplan, but no answer for Welker. And if we had, I am sure we wouldn't have had an answer for Woodhead. I think the Pats didn't even roll out their whole gameplan, cause they didn't have to.

I felt like the Pats never took any chances, just played their game, and waited for the Raiders to self-destruct. Campbell's INT to Wilfork was just one of those things, I wasn't upset about it, just good D. Who expects the 360-pound NT to be in coverage? The end zone pick, however, was the ball game. It really was. A team like the Raiders, that wastes some opportunities with penalties every game, simply cannot throw end zone picks against the Pats. We just ain't on their level, fellas. Make too many mistakes, and don't ahve the dynamic QB.

I wasn't really disappointed with the way the game went, I felt we were competitive most of the way, and it was gonna take some fluke plays, defensive/special teams TDs, to win the game. We didn't get any of that. None of the home run hitters broke free, and the Pats made no serious mistakes.

I think the D will play better as the year progresses, the secondary hasn't been healthy yet this year, I'd be willing to bet this pass D looks a lot better once Huff, Mitchell and CJ are 100%, and Chekwa and DVD have some experience. I am convinced that DVD will help this team this year. Chekwa already has. I am glad they left him at CB, I think he's shown enough to stay there. And I feel like the line has gotten pressure more and more each week. First week, nothing. Second week, not much more. last week, we got pressure, but not till late in the game. This week, Brady was aware of the D-line from the first snap.

Campbell made some mistakes, but I am pretty sure this team can win the division with him. The Chargers can be had. The question is, can the Raiders cut down on the mental errors? I am thinking so. It's weird that I am so positive after that game, but I liked that the team came to play, and didn't fall apart once it was apparent they weren't going to win. We've seen previous Raider teams handle a losing situation a LOT worse than today.

The big reason I am so optimistic regarding the penalties is the O-line. I cannot remember a Raider team that had so few false starts, and holding calls on the O-line. It's been only 4 games, but the performance and discipline of the offensive linemen has been remarkable to me. Bob Wylie needs to be a top contender for assistant of the year. I mean, think about it, this time of year, we are always calling out one offensive lineman or another, Barry Sims false starts, or Mario Henderson letting up sacks, whoever. This year, no one is calling out anyone. Impressive, and it bodes well. Good things happen to teams with good O-lines.

The thing I am worried about is the rush D. I think we can win the division with Campbell, but not the Super Bowl. With him, I put our ceiling at 10-6 for the year. Which is cool with me. But you gotta stop the run. And if you notice, if the line doesn't make the play, the LBs don't. Our DBs can make some plays on the edge, Tyvon primarily. But you don't see the big run stop from the LBs when the line gets blocked. It didn't really occur to me till I was watching other games, and watching LBs make solo stops in the muck. Either Houston or Seymour/Kelly blows a play up, or the back is in the secondary. You notice that? We don't have the dynamic LB, playing at a different football speed. In the back 7, only Tyvon plays like that. Our LBs are decent, but they can be had. I am hoping Mitchell gets his nickel LB role back. He's a tough little wolverine.

Very happy with Hue. I really don't have any complaints. I think his propensity for trick plays and misdirection is key, as it relates to McFadden. I don't care if every reverse works, but I like that we have shown it more than once. Defensive Ends have to respect the speed of a Ford or Smooth running a reverse, and hold the edge. And I think that gives DMC a little more crease on inside and off-tackle stuff. And that's all he needs.

And I think Hue has had the team ready to play every week. They looked the sloppiest Week 1, a game that after which I was really nervous about. But they have looked like a better team than any in recent memory since then, even in the losses. I love the playcalling, Hue and Saunders are showing imagination, while sticking with the run.

Next week, I think, all depends on Foster. The Texans zone scheme is legit, it's gotta be all about stopping Foster. I think the Texans can be had, I don't think they have any heart, and if they get whacked around, they will give it away. Looks like no Andre Johnson, which would be huge. if we get the team in passing situations, I think we can rattle Shaub.

Apologize for the manifesto, but this year's team is interesting to me, I have a lot of thoughts on them. :banned:

'massraider said:
The thing I am worried about is the rush D. I think we can win the division with Campbell, but not the Super Bowl. With him, I put our ceiling at 10-6 for the year. Which is cool with me. But you gotta stop the run. And if you notice, if the line doesn't make the play, the LBs don't. Our DBs can make some plays on the edge, Tyvon primarily. But you don't see the big run stop from the LBs when the line gets blocked. It didn't really occur to me till I was watching other games, and watching LBs make solo stops in the muck. Either Houston or Seymour/Kelly blows a play up, or the back is in the secondary. You notice that? We don't have the dynamic LB, playing at a different football speed. In the back 7, only Tyvon plays like that. Our LBs are decent, but they can be had. I am hoping Mitchell gets his nickel LB role back. He's a tough little wolverine.
Except for the couple of years we had Romonowski and Rod Woodson, this has been a problem for like 15 years. Those two guys were always around the ball and seldom ever missed tackles. When McClain was drafted, everybody had hopes that the problem was finally solved. It wasnt. McClain will improve his signal calling and that is part of the problem. Those gaps will get smaller when he does and he'll be around the ball more. However the missed tackles are what they are. The guys who are missing them will probably continue to miss them. In the case of McClain, that means he will likely never be the elite MLB we had hoped we had drafted. Some of the other guys can be replaced. If we werent so thin at linebacker I'd say the Wimbley contract was a mistake. Groves has improved a little this year but not enough. Branch might be the best tackler on the team but he is a bit small and not the hardest hitter. Had he switched to FS if Huff wasnt resigned maybe the safeties would look better. The scouting report knock on Huff was that he was something in between a safety and a cornerback. That's why we play 3 safeties so much. When the corners play man to man, they arent going to help much against the run. Its on the other guys. Our defensive scheme is meant for individuals to make the play. Those linebackers and safeties have to close those gaps and make the tackle.

McClain cannot tackle or run. He has good coverage instincts and is smart, but compare his body to that of Patrick Willis. Willis looks like a muscular specimen, McClain just a big frame. I don't like to judge a book by its cover, but aside from looking unathletic, Ro plays slow. McClain may never have the athleticism to be anywhere near the difference maker we thought he could be.

I bet Al was cringing when Ridley was blowing past McClain on that TD run. An Al Davis type player would've never looked so slow and oafish, especially against a runner who is not known for speed.

'massraider said:
I felt like the Pats never took any chances, just played their game, and waited for the Raiders to self-destruct. Campbell's INT to Wilfork was just one of those things, I wasn't upset about it, just good D. Who expects the 360-pound NT to be in coverage? The end zone pick, however, was the ball game. It really was. A team like the Raiders, that wastes some opportunities with penalties every game, simply cannot throw end zone picks against the Pats. We just ain't on their level, fellas. Make too many mistakes, and don't ahve the dynamic QB.
I'm curious what you as a Raiders fan thought of the decision to have Bush in there with 1st and goal at the six - which eventually turned into the endzone pick? As a McFadden owner I definitely wanted him in there, but as a Pats fan I was really glad he wasn't. I know Bush is the "goal-line back" but don't you want your more dynamic running back in there in that scenario, if only for no other reason than to command more respect from the defense? Bush is a solid back, but I don't believe he scares the defense the way McFadden does, regardless of where they are on the field.

Both leaders on the offense and defense let us down yesteday. Seymour and Campbell, the ones who led the player only OTA’s and rallied the offense and defense as team captains made critical mistakes that killed our momentum. To beat the Patriots, we had to basically be flawless. I’m all for aggressive play, and we did get to around Brady a lot yesterday, but had trouble finishing off plays. Seymour has no excuse to blame the crowd noise of the “Black Hole” for not hearing the whistle. His roughing penalty could have been avoided if he just had any awareness of the situation. When a QB is standing upright and giving up, it’s time to give him a light hug and back off. There was still time, and the ref was slow to throw the flag. That extended the Pat’s drive and led to 7 points. Bonehead move by Seymour, and he really was neutralized from then on in, not unlike the Steelers game last year. Rolando McClain did look awfully slow and lacked the fierceness required at his position. He continues to take bad angles and if he could just get himself in position, he could lay down the hammer on RB’s. But he’s so out of position, he loses power and leverage. If he doesn’t improve, I would not be against his demotion. It’s killing team morale for him to let down the defense at the second level. I know he just had a newborn baby, and maybe he’s not getting enough sleep. But he needs to improve in a hurry or step aside.

Jason Campbell…I don’t know what he was doing throwing the ball away in the end zone on the interception. He had looked like he turned the corner, but he looked like that lost, unconfident QB we saw in San Francisco last year. Ok, maybe not that bad, but nothing like his earlier games. The short interception had later was a fluke, although he’s responsible for not seeing that. It’s not the first time that guy has intercepted a ball this year. I was very disappointed with the end zone INT, but still felt it was a game, even at halftime with us down 10-17. But we knew the Patriots had the ball to start the second half, and the defense needed to re-group and have a plan to get the ball back. Once we went down on the first drive 24-10, I thought, “game over”. The Patriots are too good a team to allow us to get into our gameplan with a 2 TD deficit. At that point we were playing cat and mouse.

I’m not going to sugarcoat the loss, but I’ll agree with an earlier post that the team seemed to keep their focus and didn’t let the emotion of losing late spiral out of control. The O-line played well. I am concerned about Michael Bush’s ankle injury, and also wonder if DMC isn’t just a tad gimpy from his tightened groin. We need to rely on the ground game, and that is where the Raiders “make their hay” so to speak. I have a feeling that we are going to be nursing injuries and trying to scramble players back all the way to the bye week. We still have a good team in my opinion. One that can compete with San Diego, (though that’s not saying much). I don’t think San Diego is that good, and they are also battling injuries. They can be had. They aren’t as fierce as we are. Another finesse team like the Pats, but not as good.

Check out the schedule for Oakland and S.D. the next six weeks, with the likely result next to each game.

CHARGERS

Week 5 - @ Denver (4-1)

Week 6 - BYE

Week 7 - @ NYJ (4-2)

Week 8 - @ K.C. (5-2)

Week 9 - vs. G.B. (5-3)

Week 10 - vs. Oakland

RAIDERS

Week 5 - @ Houston (2-3)

Week 6 - vs. Cleveland (3-3)

Week 7 - vs. K.C. (4-3)

Week 8 - BYE

Week 9 - vs. Denver (5-3)

Week 10 - @ S.D.

:popcorn:

We will have been home for a month straight (including the bye) before the showdown for 1st place with San Diego.

Playing in San Diego is always a home road game for us because of all the LA Raider fans. We can sweep the division again this year. Arrowhead wont be easy but we can just about win the division by sweeping the Chargers.

Users who are viewing this thread