What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Denver Broncos Training Camp reports (5 Viewers)

Not a good day for Monte Ball. I was disappointed as I was expecting a lot more on the first day with pads on.

OC Adam Gase said this about Ball after practice:

[SIZE=10.5pt]“I think he missed a couple [blocks] today. But the thing we keep looking for is making sure he is sticking his nose up in there and trying to make the contact. What [Running Backs Coach] Eric Studesville has been doing is taking him aside, work with him and the linebackers one-on-one. It is a process, it’s not going to be an easy thing where he is going to be able to step in there and dominate linebackers as a rookie. It is going to take some time and he is going to have to work on it. We have a lot of training camp practices left.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]more in tonight's report[/SIZE]

Thanks Cecil. Did either Hillman or Moreno seem to step up, i.e. any predictions on the pecking order there?
Hillman got the first team reps. Moreno got the second team reps. There was even a team drill where Ball got zero reps...even with the third team. He was later in with the second team.

Hillman and Moreno impressed in pass pro drills. More in my report tonight!

Great stuff, as always, Cecil. This is always one of my favorite threads of the year. Thanks for your efforts - we appreciate it.

working on day four report now.

the loss of Koppen is a big gut punch for this team. Philip Blake has been getting abused in practice...on the third team. Ramirez is not the answer at Center. Some have speculated the team could use Chris Kuper in the middle.

Cecil, I haven't seen much mention of Shaun Phillips. Do you have any opinion based on what you have seen at camp? Thanks in advance.

Keep it up. Just posting to tag this thread with the little star, not sure how to keep an eye on threads so easily other than posting in them

I know it's real early...but, the more I read, the more encouraged I am about Hillman maybe holding off Ball.
He's created a gap that Ball is not closing at this time.

It's a RBBC no matter who is the starter.

Ball will be the red zone back no matter where he lands on the depth chart.

Cecil, I haven't seen much mention of Shaun Phillips. Do you have any opinion based on what you have seen at camp? Thanks in advance.
We saw him in the pit (for only one rep by what I saw). He burned by the OT to get the sack. They are limiting the vet but he's certainly showing explosion and pass rush ability.

Faust, I wanted to thank you as well for your updates and links. In every "update" or "news" type thread I read, it seems when anyone says "what about this guy", Faust seems to have a magical updated link to news about that guy in that situation. You always seems to be on point and always have the updated news, so, thank you again. :tebow:

Last edited by a moderator:
working on day four report now.

the loss of Koppen is a big gut punch for this team. Philip Blake has been getting abused in practice...on the third team. Ramirez is not the answer at Center. Some have speculated the team could use Chris Kuper in the middle.
Have they officially IR'd Walton yet? Is Kuper even healthy? Wasn't counting on him as more than a backup this year with the addition of Vasquez. We have GOT to get a center. Even though Koppen wasn't a stud, that's still a huge loss

Faust, I wanted to thank you as well for your updates and links. In every "update" or "news" type thread I read, it seems when anyone says "what about this guy", Faust seems to have a magical updated link to news about that guy in that situation. You always seems to be on point and always have the updated news, so, thank you again. :tebow:
Claymaker,

You are too kind my friend!

Cheers,

Faust

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder reports ex-Colts C Jeff Saturday has "no interest" in un-retiring to sign with the Broncos after C Dan Koppen was lost for the season.
Saturday is one of Peyton Manning's most notable former teammates, but is all the way down to the 230-240 pound range, and appeared done with the Packers last year. He was benched during a playoff push. Saturday wouldn't have been a realistic option in Denver even if he were interested in giving football another go.

Related: Broncos

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder reports ex-Colts C Jeff Saturday has "no interest" in un-retiring to sign with the Broncos after C Dan Koppen was lost for the season.
Saturday is one of Peyton Manning's most notable former teammates, but is all the way down to the 230-240 pound range, and appeared done with the Packers last year. He was benched during a playoff push. Saturday wouldn't have been a realistic option in Denver even if he were interested in giving football another go.

Related: Broncos

Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
He's smart not to un-retire. Saturday was done last year.

Ramirez is not the answer at Center. Some have speculated the team could use Chris Kuper in the middle.
I'm interested in your opinion on why ManRam is not the answer at center. He was running with the 1s on day 2 prior to Koppen's injury. I assume some of that was tinkering with the OL, but it seemed like they had been working on moving him over for some time. I don't think Kuper will make the transition this year. Just getting back to full health seems to be a huge issue for Kupe. I don't think it's a realistic expectation to move him to a new position after all the ankle issues.

Thanks for all the camp updates. Definitely appreciated.

Working on day five report now with plenty of thoughts on the OL, plus more highlights from the pit, why Sylvester Williams knee injury isn't considered serious, Ball continues to struggle while Moreno and Hillman shine, plus more!

Sent to the editor, should post soon....here's a clip:

Broncos 2013 Training Camp Day Five

No. 17 Brock Osweiler: Several media members have commented to me how they love what Osweiler is showing in camp. His zip is outstanding and his mechanics have been cleaned up. Osweiler is still forcing some passes but he shows ultimate confidence in his arm. He is also showing good pass placement. Osweiler doesn’t just have “area code” accuracy. He’s putting the ball on the correct shoulder and leading his receivers properly to maximize run after the catch yards.

No. 2 Zac Dysert: Dysert’s struggles continued today. He was getting a few of his teammates beat up with passes that were high, behind, and generally off the mark. Mechanically he struggles with consistency. There are some who question whether or not he even makes the practice squad. However, he’s a favorite of the staff and that should help.

No. 39 C.J. Anderson: I liked when the Broncos picked up Anderson as an undrafted free agent earlier this year. He showed plenty of power in college and is a swift runner. However, he never showed the type of speed he did today on the run to close out practice. Anderson has a strong lower body, runs with good pad level and proper forward lean. On a run to the left he broke through on the edge and turned on the jets. He ran away from the defense and scored what would have been a 40-yard TD. Those runs have been limited to Ronnie Hillman, but today Anderson made a big play (and a big impression). Anderson also showed good leg drive near the goalline. If he continues to impress I say put him on the practice squad. I don’t think there’s enough room to fit him on the 53-man roster.

No. 66 Manny Ramirez: Worked with the first-team and head coach John Fox cleared up who is the starter after practice. “Manny played a lot of football for us a year ago with the loss of [G] Chris Kuper as well as J.D. Walton, who are two people that are still on our football team that we are still nursing back to health. So, we feel decent where we are. We always hate losing people for the season, but we will march on.” Ramirez allowed too much pressure in the pit and lost out on power and speed moves to different Broncos defenders.

No. 54 C.J. Davis: Worked with the second team after missing practice yesterday due to an ankle injury. In the pit he was about .500 for wins and losses against the Broncos defense.

No. 64 Phillip Blake: He worked with the third-team and continued to struggle. In the pit Blake was regularly beat by the defender lining up against him.

No. 92 Sylvester Williams: During the pit Williams was a standout player. He quickly got around Left Guard Zane Beadles, showing good first step explosion. Later in the pit Williams put Center Philip Blake on roller skates and moved him with ease. Williams went down with a knee injury during practice. After the day was over head coach John Fox said the injury was not serious. “We are looking at it. It doesn’t appear to be super serious, but they all could be so we will keep you posted on exactly what it was.”

Confirming what Cecil has been telling us (from Rotoworld):

The Denver Post says QB Brock Osweiler has been the Broncos' most improved player between last year's training camp and this one.
Things are slowing down for the strong-armed, 6'7/242 Osweiler in his second NFL season. It doesn't look like he'll have any trouble beating out Zac Dysert for the backup job this season and still projects as the franchise's quarterback of the future. Peyton Manning is entering his age-37 season.

Related: Zac Dysert

Source: Denver Post

Mike Klis reporting that Ryan Lilja has ended his retirement to sign a 1 year deal with the Broncos.

Hope he can come in and be a solid center and help solidify the line. Just glad this injury to Koppen happened early in camp and the entire line can build chemistry during camp and pre-season games.

Mike Klis reporting that Ryan Lilja has ended his retirement to sign a 1 year deal with the Broncos.

Hope he can come in and be a solid center and help solidify the line. Just glad this injury to Koppen happened early in camp and the entire line can build chemistry during camp and pre-season games.
I asked Fox about the team's "Ready List" (on Monday) and if Lilja was on it. He declined to answer. Now we know why.

day six report submitted, here's a snip:

No. 38 Montee Ball: Montee Ball started off practice rough once again with several of his carries stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. Later in practice Ball did get to the second level on one run and showed a nice juke move to get to an open spot. That run gained about 10 yards. Ball also scored two touchdowns in red zone work on Wednesday. One was on a carry with the first team and he was smashed by SS Duke Ihenacho at the goalline. Ball was able to fall on his side to eek past the white line. The other touchdown came as a receiver with the second team where he was able to box out CB Mario Butler in the end zone. In addition to his work as a running back Ball also got plenty of reps on special teams as a blocker on kick returns.

As a pass blocker Ball continues to struggle. FS Rahim Moore was able to get by him easily in pass protection drills. After practice Ball talked about his struggles. “Today I think I missed one, but I’m trying to get perfect on that. I made the right read, saw the right blitzer. But I kind of lunged at him and missed him. But other than that, I think I had a pretty good day today and I’m still working on that.”

No. 27 Knowshon Moreno: Like Ball, Moreno was able to get some work as a blocker on kick return drills. As a runner Moreno stood out with his patience. I liked his footwork today as a runner and he carefully picks and chooses where to make his cut. He had a good hesitation move to get around DT Derek Wolfe. He did slip on a route as a receiver out of the backfield as he was trying to get away from FS Rahim Moore. Later in the day he was able to haul in a low pass from QB Brock Osweiler with OLB Wesley Woodyard all over him.

Users who are viewing this thread