What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Oakland Raiders thread *** (1 Viewer)

Raiderfan32904 said:
6-point favorites against JAX next week. :lol:
I think we win, but if was betting, I'd lay the points. We don't have the killer instinct to win games other than last ditch efforts.
So you'd take the points then.

Also, lost in all of the encouragement surrounding Pryor's play, what the hell got into our defense? Who saw THAT coming???

Not sure how Oakland created as much pass rush as they did; I will have to watch the game again. But I was surprised and impressed. Pryor's only unforgivable mistake was the big sack on 1st and goal at the end of the game. He will learn. Streater did a good job staying alive on scramble drills; I think that's why he is Pryor's favorite. A couple plays, Pryor had a Roethlisberger thing going...staying alive and making a big throw on improvised patterns. The whole team looked much better than advertised.

Not sure how Oakland created as much pass rush as they did; I will have to watch the game again. But I was surprised and impressed. Pryor's only unforgivable mistake was the big sack on 1st and goal at the end of the game. He will learn. Streater did a good job staying alive on scramble drills; I think that's why he is Pryor's favorite. A couple plays, Pryor had a Roethlisberger thing going...staying alive and making a big throw on improvised patterns. The whole team looked much better than advertised.
The sack on first and goal was a critical one, and you can fault the RT Barnes on that play. I give credit to Pryor to make an althletic move to cover up in time, it looked like it could have easily been a strip fumble. The entire team has some growing pains to go thru. But as you said, better than advertised, which was dog ####.

Raiderfan32904 said:
6-point favorites against JAX next week. :lol:
I think we win, but if was betting, I'd lay the points. We don't have the killer instinct to win games other than last ditch efforts.
So you'd take the points then.

Also, lost in all of the encouragement surrounding Pryor's play, what the hell got into our defense? Who saw THAT coming???
I was shocked at how well the defense played and how much pressure they put on Luck. Especially encouraging was the stop on fourth down. That play showed discipline and good preparation from the coaching staff. I was even impressed with Olson and the offensive game plan. I think that is about as pleased as I could have been with a loss.

Haven't watched the game yet, but the secondary and LB talent is much better than last year. Dline is thin, but the starters are on par to last year IMO. Seymore has a shadow of himself, Tommy Kelly was always an inconsistent bonehead that I suspect couldn't maintain gap control when it was required (remember Martin's huge day last year), and Dez Bryant was kind of meh.

Doom and gloom has been easy to say due to the name players the Raiders cut and the dead money against the cap. But the players they have signed have been an upgrade. I like to think had we had Valhdeer we may have won this game.

Pyror needs to learn from his mistakes and the team needs to keep passionately to get a win this week. My fear is that they take their quality of play this past week as a moral victory and come out flat. Then if they do not win it will be very deflating and their play will deteriorate.

So there was a lot of talk of taking the Colts for a suicide pick against the Raiders week 1. Does anyone dare take the Raiders this week?

So there was a lot of talk of taking the Colts for a suicide pick against the Raiders week 1. Does anyone dare take the Raiders this week?
You wanna hear something funny? They are a team you may want to 'save'.

We aren't sure how bad they are now, or how good they are. They weren't as bad as advertised They have Tennessee at home, at SD, and at the Jets.

Betting in a week 2 who's worse contest is tricky, and some will consider a Henne as an upgrade.

If Pryor turns into the goods, I may think about that Titans game.

Proceed cautiously. We need to see evidence that Reggie and DA are making in roads to changing the team culture. Typical Raiders will come out flat and let victory slip through their hands. Hopefully, we see a team that comes out and plays passionate football and dominates on both sides of the ball.

Didn't watch the game live, watching on Rewind now.

Basically, I am looking for any reason to believe Pryor may be the goods, and for this team to pass on FranchiseQBofTheDraft2014, whoever that is.

That's really, IMO, the only thing we need to find out this season. Is Pryor the QBOTF? If he is, the season was worth it.

First thought is: Man, that O-line ain't doing anyone any favors. I mean, they probably had one guy, Little Wiz, that they are happy is where he is. It's not anyone's fault, it just sucks. Barnes at LT, Pashos at RT, and a ZBS leftover in Brisel at RG. Dang.

He had a nice drive in the 1st quarter, I liked the playcalling. It ended with a deep throw down the sideline, that was picked. Maybe he shouldn't have thrown it, maybe Streater should have made a better effort.

\Midway through second drive, and another nice slant pass to Streater, in stride. Pryor would later throw two nice slants in the red zone to Moore, the 2nd was a TD. I like the accuracy on short stuff like that, I feel like it's the first thing you need as a QB. Can the QB throw short stuff in a way that the receiver can get some YAC?

He made smarter decisions in the 2nd half, obviously he was quick to run, you'd like to see more quick decisons and get the ball out of his hand.

Tell you one thing, Colts fans should be nervous. Theor O and D didn't look like they were taking the next step.

Menelik Watson to miss a month after knee surgery

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 12, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
350x-491.jpg
APThe Raiders are going to have to make do at left tackle for a little while longer.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Raiders rookie Menelik Watson had surgery last week to repair a torn lateral meniscus, and could miss a month.

That means for the time being, they’re going to enjoy the work of former right tackle Khalif Barnes on the left.

Watson was actually the third man through the door at that spot this year, after starter Jared Veldheer tore his triceps and Alex Barron was overwhelmed and released. Watson didn’t have much experience on the left, but showed enough to think there was a chance at stability.

That was probably more than the Raiders could have fairly expected.

Watched the game rewind last night. I agree with mass that the big question being about Pryor. He is definitely the right QB for the team as it is currently constructed because of his mobility. What really struck me last nite was his very poor accuracy down the field. He needs to improve in that area dramatically to be the QBOTF because he poses no threat as a down field passer. This only allows defenses to crowd the line and take away as his strengths. The other take away was his throwing motion on short passes reminds me of Vince Young. It looks like he pushes the ball rather than throws it. Hopefully his mechanics become more fluid as his playing time and experience increase. [sidebar: In hindsight it would have made more sense for the Raiders to sign VY on the cheap to compete with Pryor, than pursue Flynn. Both QBs have a similar style so an injury to the QB would not have change the offensive approach.]

Oline run blocking must improve if we are going to be competitive. Pryor's arm cannot carry this team. In general running production was way down in week 1 and my theory is that it is due in large part to the limited contact allowed as part of the CBA. Run blocking takes a lot more time to refine and develop. When we consider the Raiders are missing their best lineman and another player with promise, the lack of production is completely understandable. On the bright side, both players are expected to return at some point, which may give the run game a huge boast.

Defensively we are not getting enough pressure on the QB on a consistent basis. Luck picked apart the Raiders on the first two drives due to the lack of pressure. It was nice to see a DC make the necessary adjustments to correct the situation, but they are doing it all now with smoke and mirrors. The secondary play appeared to be improved over last season despite the lack of pressure. The run defense seemed to be slightly improved, but I do not think as unit we were really tested in this game.

The stars are aligned for a win this week with the Jags QB situation in flux and a long road trip, but this is could be a nail bitter if the Raiders don't contain MJD and get pressure on Henne. This is an early prelude to which team will get win the Bridgewater sweep stakes.

Calling it now. The difference between us getting Bridgewater/Clowney is going to turn out to be a personal foul by a Bucs linebacker.

Defensively we are not getting enough pressure on the QB on a consistent basis. Luck picked apart the Raiders on the first two drives due to the lack of pressure. It was nice to see a DC make the necessary adjustments to correct the situation, but they are doing it all now with smoke and mirrors. The secondary play appeared to be improved over last season despite the lack of pressure. The run defense seemed to be slightly improved, but I do not think as unit we were really tested in this game.
I do not get this criticism. I thought the pressure they put on Luck was outstanding. Why was it smoke and mirrors, because they blitzed? Its very rare for any team to be able to get consistent pressure on a QB using just their front four.

I do not like all the positive buzz, and talk of our Raiders kicking the Jags butts. It just doesn't feel right. Expectations coming off a loss are way too high.

:scared:

ICON211 said:
I do not get this criticism. I thought the pressure they put on Luck was outstanding. Why was it smoke and mirrors, because they blitzed? Its very rare for any team to be able to get consistent pressure on a QB using just their front four.
ICON211 said:
Watch the first two or three drives again. There was NO pressure from the front 4 and Luck tore us a new #####. They were up 14 zip before the adjustments were made. To the staff's credit they made the necessary adjustments to get the pressure on Luck. The reason I use the term smoke and mirrors is that ultimately if the Raiders have to rely on blitzing to manufacture pressure it makes the secondary vulnerable. It is just simple math: the players used to rush the less available for covering receivers.

Maybe we can get away with this approach all year, but I doubt it. Sooner or later we will be exposed.

I didn't catch the game last weekend. Any thoughts on DJ Hayden's performance? He must have played pretty well seeing how the Colts only scored 21pts.

Thought our run D looked pretty solid last week against the Colts, and as mentioned, glad to see they made some adjustments to find a way to put pressure on Luck.

I hear ya, RF32904, about expecting too much from the team, but if we have any Poise and Pride left in this franchise, it should be enough to beat the poorest teams in the league at home, even if we are in that group ourselves.

ICON211 said:
ICON211 said:
Watch the first two or three drives again. There was NO pressure from the front 4 and Luck tore us a new #####. They were up 14 zip before the adjustments were made. To the staff's credit they made the necessary adjustments to get the pressure on Luck. The reason I use the term smoke and mirrors is that ultimately if the Raiders have to rely on blitzing to manufacture pressure it makes the secondary vulnerable. It is just simple math: the players used to rush the less available for covering receivers.

Maybe we can get away with this approach all year, but I doubt it. Sooner or later we will be exposed.
Lamarr Houston was tearing Costanzo apart one on one the entire game.

ALAMEDA -- In the words of the late Al Davis, the Raiders wanted the opposing quarterback "to go down, and go down hard."Yet the Raiders have seldom achieved that goal in the style in which they did in the regular-season opener and hope to duplicate when they host the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday at O.co Coliseum.

The Raiders gave the Jaguars an eyeful in terms of film study in a 21-17 loss at Indianapolis last weekend, sending blitzers from different angles to slow Andrew Luck and the Colts after spotting them a 14-0 lead.

When the game ended, Luck had been sacked four times, to go along with six quarterback hits and 10 hurries. All three starting linebackers and all four members of the secondary blitzed at least once, with safety Tyvon Branch and cornerback Tracy Porter getting sacks.

It was the first four-sack game since last Dec. 16 against Kansas City, a season in which the Raiders finished 31st in the 32-team NFL with just 25 sacks. Oakland's fourth sack of the season in 2012 didn't come until the fifth game of the season in Atlanta on Oct. 14.

The aftermath of the Indianapolis game included Colts owner Jim Irsay admonishing his team on Twitter for failing to protect Luck.

Gone are the days when the Raiders rushed with the front four, played press coverage and blitzed infrequently, a style of defense preferred by Davis.

The defense as installed by coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver is as much a shell game as it is a show of brute force.

"You don't know where we're coming from or who's coming," weakside linebacker Kevin Burnett said Thursday. "It's hard to game plan for us because you have the ability to switch up who is blitzing at what time, and you have the element of surprise."

The Raiders had elements of the philosophy in place last season but the coaching staff didn't entirely trust the personnel to carry it out. The nine new starters who came aboard in the offseason were identified in part because they were fits for the scheme.

"They expressed to me when I came here on a visit that everybody's going to get a chance to rush," Burnett said. "They're giving us the opportunity to show what we've got. I like it. I like it a lot."

Tarver thinks Week 1 was important in that it established a tone and a mindset.

Porter, who had his first sack since 2008 as a member of the New Orleans Saints, said, "It makes it a difficult on the quarterback if we do a good job of disguising our coverage because he won't know which one of us is coming at a given point in time."

The possibility of blitzing players in turn opened things up for the Raiders defensive line, with Lamarr Houston (one sack, one hit, six quarterback hurries) having a particularly strong game.

It's all part of Allen's hope to have a defense that is totally unpredictable while at the same time doesn't wind up fooling itself and leaving the door open for big plays.

"We try and be as simple as we can on ourselves, but bring some different looks, bring some different people -- make them have to account for everybody," Allen said. "We'll do as much as our guys can handle, and if we can execute those things, then it's to our advantage."

The next step for the Raiders will be to force turnovers with their pass rush, either through off-target passes or stripping the ball.

"We've told them, every time you get a chance to take a shot at the ball, take a shot at the ball," Tarver said. "There's only one of them, and we want it."
:popcorn:

ALAMEDA -- In the words of the late Al Davis, the Raiders wanted the opposing quarterback "to go down, and go down hard."Yet the Raiders have seldom achieved that goal in the style in which they did in the regular-season opener and hope to duplicate when they host the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday at O.co Coliseum.

The Raiders gave the Jaguars an eyeful in terms of film study in a 21-17 loss at Indianapolis last weekend, sending blitzers from different angles to slow Andrew Luck and the Colts after spotting them a 14-0 lead.

When the game ended, Luck had been sacked four times, to go along with six quarterback hits and 10 hurries. All three starting linebackers and all four members of the secondary blitzed at least once, with safety Tyvon Branch and cornerback Tracy Porter getting sacks.

It was the first four-sack game since last Dec. 16 against Kansas City, a season in which the Raiders finished 31st in the 32-team NFL with just 25 sacks. Oakland's fourth sack of the season in 2012 didn't come until the fifth game of the season in Atlanta on Oct. 14.

The aftermath of the Indianapolis game included Colts owner Jim Irsay admonishing his team on Twitter for failing to protect Luck.

Gone are the days when the Raiders rushed with the front four, played press coverage and blitzed infrequently, a style of defense preferred by Davis.

The defense as installed by coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver is as much a shell game as it is a show of brute force.

"You don't know where we're coming from or who's coming," weakside linebacker Kevin Burnett said Thursday. "It's hard to game plan for us because you have the ability to switch up who is blitzing at what time, and you have the element of surprise."

The Raiders had elements of the philosophy in place last season but the coaching staff didn't entirely trust the personnel to carry it out. The nine new starters who came aboard in the offseason were identified in part because they were fits for the scheme.

"They expressed to me when I came here on a visit that everybody's going to get a chance to rush," Burnett said. "They're giving us the opportunity to show what we've got. I like it. I like it a lot."

Porter, who had his first sack since 2008 as a member of the New Orleans Saints, said, "It makes it a difficult on the quarterback if we do a good job of disguising our coverage because he won't know which one of us is coming at a given point in time."

The possibility of blitzing players in turn opened things up for the Raiders defensive line, with Lamarr Houston (one sack, one hit, six quarterback hurries) having a particularly strong game.

It's all part of Allen's hope to have a defense that is totally unpredictable while at the same time doesn't wind up fooling itself and leaving the door open for big plays.

"We try and be as simple as we can on ourselves, but bring some different looks, bring some different people -- make them have to account for everybody," Allen said. "We'll do as much as our guys can handle, and if we can execute those things, then it's to our advantage."

The next step for the Raiders will be to force turnovers with their pass rush, either through off-target passes or stripping the ball.

"We've told them, every time you get a chance to take a shot at the ball, take a shot at the ball," Tarver said. "There's only one of them, and we want it."
The scheme is finally starting to come together and it's a lot more fun to watch. It wasn't a 3-4, but it certainly wasn't just a base 4-3 either. They frequently stood up defensive ends with Maiava or Burnett standing right next to them at the edges.

The Colts offensive coordinator really did a poor job adjusting to it though. They could have really burned Oakland on a few plays if they would have just setup a few RB screens, and that is something I know for sure Jacksonville will be doing.

I don't care how effective the scheme is, watching them use Lamaar Houston as a stand up rushing LB just doesn't look right to me. If I was a D coordinator, I would attack that somehow.

Raiders sign Reese to a 3 year extension.

Quality player and performer. This is the exact kind of signing that I'm hopeful for going into next year with all that cap money and, quite probably, a top 3 draft pick. Build a team around really good players (Reese is one of the few we have) and be able to make a splash in free agency to hopefully go from a 4 win team to a 10 win team in a year. Heck, it's happened to other teams before (a boy can dream....)

Quality player and performer. This is the exact kind of signing that I'm hopeful for going into next year with all that cap money and, quite probably, a top 3 draft pick. Build a team around really good players (Reese is one of the few we have) and be able to make a splash in free agency to hopefully go from a 4 win team to a 10 win team in a year. Heck, it's happened to other teams before (a boy can dream....)
McKenzie is resigning players early which is nice. So far the Raiders have resigned Janikowski, Condo, & Reece. Next up will be Houston and Veldheer. It would be nice to get those two resigned before the end of the season so the team doesn't have to get into a bidding war with other teams.

Great read, thanks for posting, RN.

If the boys blitz from everywhere against Henne like they did against Luck (and there's no reason to think they won't), this could get very ugly for the Jags. We caught them at the right time... QB switch, M. Lewis hurt, Blackmon suspended, O-line is a mess.

I picked up Oakland's D just for this week.

McKenzie is resigning players early which is nice. So far the Raiders have resigned Janikowski, Condo, & Reece. Next up will be Houston and Veldheer. It would be nice to get those two resigned before the end of the season so the team doesn't have to get into a bidding war with other teams.
I agree, if they can get Houston to sign now it will be for less than what they will have to pay at the end of this season. They have the cap room, and I firmly believe that teams do not let players like him leave. It would just be much more cap friendly to do it right now. He looks like a man on a mission so far this year. I am sure Reggie is already trying, but no clue if Houston's agent is receptive to it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the boys blitz from everywhere against Henne like they did against Luck (and there's no reason to think they won't), this could get very ugly for the Jags. We caught them at the right time... QB switch, M. Lewis hurt, Blackmon suspended, O-line is a mess.

You guys feel good about your defense or are they just as likely to allow 30+ today?

GoBirds said:

You guys feel good about your defense or are they just as likely to allow 30+ today?
Just when you start feeling good about this team - which, granted, hasn't happened too often over the past decade - the sky caves in. But unless Pryor turns the ball over inside his own 20 more than once, I'm having a hard time envisioning Jacksonville getting north of 17 points.

I'm having a hard time envisioning Jacksonville getting north of 17 points.
Wow, I gave the Jags way too much credit. If McFadden takes care of the ball, they finish with 3 points!

I'm not going to fool myself into thinking this defense is the '85 Bears. As mentioned, Jacksonville's offense is miserable. They were already missing key pieces, then MJD leaves the game early with an injury. Still, nothing but positives. The offense attacks... the defense attacks... both units are dictating, rather than reacting, like in the past.

And damned if C-Wood doesn't look really good.

The Jags being horrible aside, there is a lot to feel good about. :banned:

Better to win ugly than lose pretty.

Agree that it looks slightly less bleak -- our D looks fairly stout, and Pryor and McFadden, along with Reece give us some key pieces of stable talent. But our receiving corps desperately need to improve -- way too many bad drops and poor routes, without getting clean separation.

Let's see if our D can hold up to an elite offense -- we'll find out next week vs. the hated Broncs.

I'm really concerned about Branch's injury. Potentially losing him really changes both the run defense and how we can defend athletic TEs. He couldn't put any weight on the leg at all; ankle could be broken and straight to IR. Just a bad feeling about it.

Great win for the Beloved Silver and Black. Solid effort all around.

Defense is playing very well; granted it was against the Jags but solid nonetheless.

I'm really concerned about Branch's injury. Potentially losing him really changes both the run defense and how we can defend athletic TEs. He couldn't put any weight on the leg at all; ankle could be broken and straight to IR. Just a bad feeling about it.
At least we have a solid backup in Usama Young.

Good point. Brandian Ross was getting some playing time as well and he looked pretty good.

Good point. Brandian Ross was getting some playing time as well and he looked pretty good.
Agreed, the depth in the defensive backfield this year is far and beyond what the Raiders had last year in the defensive backfield.

Very likely, but at least the Donkeys get to experience the problem of playing without their best Oline man. The defense is playing with a passion that has been missing for a long time. It helps that the staff has diversified the scheme and they aren't just sitting in the stupid 4 man rush scheme that Davis insisted on using.

Lots of issues still with the Oline. Nix had a poor game and likely cost us another td. D. Moore lining up incorrectly on the double pass cemented his stay in the dog house. I would look for the Raiders to move him if the price is right. Pryor needs to make quicker decisions as to whether to run or pass, and get the ball out of his hand quicker. My worry is that we have too many 3 and outs next game and the defense cannot hold up to the pressure.

We need long sustained drives to keep the ball out of Payton's hand, score TDs instead of FGs and continue to play passionate defense to even have a chance.

Very likely, but at least the Donkeys get to experience the problem of playing without their best Oline man. The defense is playing with a passion that has been missing for a long time. It helps that the staff has diversified the scheme and they aren't just sitting in the stupid 4 man rush scheme that Davis insisted on using.

Lots of issues still with the Oline. Nix had a poor game and likely cost us another td. D. Moore lining up incorrectly on the double pass cemented his stay in the dog house. I would look for the Raiders to move him if the price is right. Pryor needs to make quicker decisions as to whether to run or pass, and get the ball out of his hand quicker. My worry is that we have too many 3 and outs next game and the defense cannot hold up to the pressure.

We need long sustained drives to keep the ball out of Payton's hand, score TDs instead of FGs and continue to play passionate defense to even have a chance.
Definitely going to be very tough Monday night. I hope they continue the blitz packages. Never know who is coming with this team so far this year. Keep the blitzing and hopefully get to Manning a few times. Much rather try to put pressure on him than sit back and watch him pick apart the defense all night.

Hue Jackson wishes Raiders had drafted Kaepernick

By Kevin Patra NFL.com It's not a revelation that the Oakland Raiders loved Colin Kaepernick as the 2011 NFL Draft approached. That still doesn't stop former coach Hue Jackson from lamenting what could have been. "I think about it all the time, believe me," Jackson told Sports Illustrated's Peter King on Sunday night. "No question in my mind we wanted it to happen, and no question I thought it could happen. We wanted the kid in the worst way." The Raiders ranked Kaepernick their No. 1 quarterback in the draft (ahead of Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton) and wanted badly to move up in the second round to draft the former Nevada stud -- their first-round pick in 2011 was spent in the Richard Seymour trade. "Coach Jackson told me before the draft they were going to do everything they could to try to get me," Kaepernick told King. "I thought there was a good chance they'd pick me. I never heard anything from the 49ers before the draft after I worked out for them (at Nevada). I just figured they weren't interested." The Raiders weren't willing to give up a package that included a second-round pick (eventually center Stefan Wisniewski) to the New England Patriots to jump into the first slot in the second round. Instead, the San Francisco 49ers eventually made a trade with the Denver Broncos at pick No. 36. Kaepernick's father, Rick, told King he'd heard that late owner Al Davis threw a glass across the room when the pick was announced. "I don't know that he threw anything,'' Jackson said. "But he was upset. So was I. Scouting him, I fell in love with the kid. Leader, won a ton of games at Nevada, really impressive when you talked to him, strong, all the tools to win in the NFL. No doubt in my mind he was going to be good." Jackson wasn't wrong about Kaepernick's success. Around The League's Gregg Rosenthal ranks him No. 3 his top 10 quarterbacks 25 or under series. Of course going to a team with a stout defense, good rushing attack and Jim Harbaugh as opposed to a helter-skelter organization with a dearth of talent might have had a little bit to do with the early accomplishments. "I don't think too much about things like that," Kaepernick said, smiling. "But I am pretty happy how things turned out." Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.
I couldn't resist bumping this after Kaepernick's last two games. I suspect the NFL has caught up with the read option and somewhat exposing he abilities as an NFL QB. I say somewhat because his receiving core is so limited it is tough to judge.

Oakland Raiders' Terrelle Pryor can rescue Al Davis' reputation

By Mark Kriegel

NFL Media analyst

OAKLAND, Calif. -- On Aug. 17, 2011, following the third round of the NFL Supplemental Draft, Terrelle Pryor received a call from Al Davis.

"You're going to be a star," Davis said.

Not right away, of course. Training camp was all but over. The Oakland Raiders already had a quarterback, and Pryor, a Rose Bowl MVP who'd begun the previous season as a front-runner for the Heisman Trophy, understood all too well that Davis was saving him from the scrap heap.

Then again, wasn't that the Raider Way, which is to say, Al's Way?

"It's going to be a tough couple of years," Davis, then 82, told Pryor, then 22. "Keep plugging away. You're going to be successful. I believe in you."

By then, Davis' sanction was no guarantor of success. But never had the identity of one franchise, in any sport, been so tied up with the cult of one man. He'll be dead two years next month and, now as then, people wonder: Was he a madman or a visionary?

Like there's any difference.

I mean, who ever heard of black uniforms? Al Davis made it cool to be bad. No owner had a greater impact on American popular culture. Just Win, Baby! It's as American as the Pledge of Allegiance.

Davis' was an empire built of castoffs: Alzado, Matuszak, Plunkett and so on. They went to five Super Bowls, won three. Then, inevitably perhaps, the lean years. Zero playoff appearances since 2002. Disastrous drafts (of the Raiders' six top-10 picks since 2004, only one, Darren McFadden, remains with the team). It was easy, perhaps too easy, to bash Davis after he got old: King Lear of Oaktown. It commonly was accepted that the game had passed him by.

Or had it? Quite suddenly, it seems, the 2011 supplemental draft is bearing fruit ripe with redemptive possibilities -- for the owner and the player.

"It's like he saw the future," Pryor says.

It's far too early to tell if Pryor will be a star. But he is what he envisioned himself being as a kid, long before most people ever heard of Cam Newton, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick or Andrew Luck. Terrelle Pryor is a starting NFL quarterback.

What's more, he's proof that Davis anticipated the future of the position before many of his contemporaries. The course is inexorable; the position, ever more cerebral, is also more athletic.

"I believe in my ability," Pryor declared. "And I'm going to prove him right. ... I'm tired of hearing that I have potential. I want to reach it. ... I had to look at myself in the mirror."

The offseason saw the Raiders trade Carson Palmer ("a mentor to this day," Pryor said) and acquire a presumptive stop-gap starter in Matt Flynn. Meanwhile, Pryor was working his butt off, most of the time with former USC pitching coach and quarterback guru Tom House. Their work focused on footwork and accuracy. But the mechanics were a metaphor for something else. Terrelle Pryor did a little growing up. By his own admission, he remains a work in progress. Still, he endows the franchise with something it hasn't had in a while: hope.

Davis' last castoff might not be his best. But it might rescue his reputation. Still, you wonder about the reputation of a kid like Pryor, the recipient of a five-game suspension after his story became a national obsession for months. By comparison, Johnny Manziel, another quarterback accused of receiving illicit benefits, had his ordeal resolved in a matter of days, quite conveniently, on the eve of the season. (Manziel had to sit out two quarters in Texas A&M's opener.)

Fairness? Pryor still doesn't know what to make of the term: "I don't think it matters at this point. Why would I go back in the past? Why would I put any negative thoughts in my head when I have to lead this team?"

Against the Denver Broncos on Monday night, no less. If that's a thankless task, it's also the job he earned. Pryor won it coming out of camp, then outplayed Luck in the opener against the Indianapolis Colts, even though Oakland lost on the road. Pryor threw a couple picks, but he was responsible for 329 yards of offense (Luck had 216), including 112 on the ground. Last week, against the hapless Jacksonville Jaguars, he ran for a mere 50 yards. But he also enabled McFadden to do something he did only three times last season: run for 100-plus yards.

"You could see it on the film," Pryor said. "Every time I give the ball to Darren, every linebacker scraped over to me. There were holes left for Darren."

I ask him what Davis would've said.

"Just win, baby," Pryor said. "We won."

Follow Mark Kriegel on Twitter @MarkKriegel.

16-point underdogs tonight. :topcat:

What are the chances we shock the world? 10%? 15%?

Pryor HAS to be effective with his legs. I'm talkin' 80-100 yards on the ground. And he cannot turn the ball over. McFadden has to run well and the O-line can't miss assignments. And if all of that happens, Manning has to be "merely mortal".... maybe even with a couple of turnovers, and the D-line has to at least let him know they are there.

And even if all of that happens, we could still lose by 10-14 points.

I am optimistic that we went into Indy and easily could have won, and Indy just went on the road and dominated S.F. 2+2 doesn't always =4 in scenarios like that, but it's something to cling to at least. :shrug:

16-point underdogs tonight. :topcat:

What are the chances we shock the world? 10%? 15%?

Pryor HAS to be effective with his legs. I'm talkin' 80-100 yards on the ground. And he cannot turn the ball over. McFadden has to run well and the O-line can't miss assignments. And if all of that happens, Manning has to be "merely mortal".... maybe even with a couple of turnovers, and the D-line has to at least let him know they are there.

And even if all of that happens, we could still lose by 10-14 points.

I am optimistic that we went into Indy and easily could have won, and Indy just went on the road and dominated S.F. 2+2 doesn't always =4 in scenarios like that, but it's something to cling to at least. :shrug:
The oddsmakers might be dead on, and the game could get out of hand late. Then watch Vegas go to bed happy. But something doesn't add up when you got the #1 rush offense and #1 rush defense and still treated like patsies. This is a very well coached team, especially defensively. I think our boys will put up a fight tonight. I think the game will be competitive through at least 3 plus quarters. I still wouldn't take the points. Fourth quarters can get tricky.

Hopefully the Raiders pull of an upset to cap a crazy week. (Who saw the hers losing @ home by double digits? The Gmen getting shutout? The Browns winning on the road with a backup QB, post TRich trade?) Everyone must play the game of their lives for us to even have a chance at the upset.

What the ML is on this game?

Hopefully the Raiders pull of an upset to cap a crazy week. (Who saw the hers losing @ home by double digits? The Gmen getting shutout? The Browns winning on the road with a backup QB, post TRich trade?) Everyone must play the game of their lives for us to even have a chance at the upset.

What the ML is on this game?
I have seen +850

Users who are viewing this thread