What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

I can just do the eyeball test and tell that they are better than last year. Again not saying much but they are playing hard and making plays occasionally. The talent just isn't there. So my hope is the subsequent drafts are going to be defense heavy to retool this thing completely with 3-4 people. I think the scheme has a chance to work if Davis is given enough time.
Part of the problem I think is the talent (I admit there isn't enough of it) in the front 7 isn't being well utilised. There was a lot of talk about using a defense that suited the player's skills etc, while they eventually moved to their targetted 2 gap 3-4 scheme. That all seems to have been total BS. So instead we have Cole playing LB, Graham and Vinnie Curry mostly off the field and a #12 overall DT who has to hold up a man and read, rather than attack off the ball.

When you look at the pass rush having to come mostly from blitzing linebackers, slot corners and safeties because the 3 guys who start the play closest to the QB have to hold ground and read first while our secondary plays off coverage, it's not surprising there's not much rush and a lot of open targets underneath.

Overall Kelly's offense has been much better than I expected, but I think he's made 2 mistakes so far. Bringing back Vick is one, and going with a 2 gap scheme on defense is the other. :shrug:

Eagles should win the division.

That is all.
:no: They could, but they won't. Their defense is just too terrible. Dallas' d is a little better, but not by much.And I keep forgetting to get my free dunkin donuts coffees on Mondays. :angry:
Yes...........let the pessimism flow!!!!
:confused: I'm being realistic. You want me to lie and say they can win 10 games? Rah rah shish boom baa and all that, I'm in. But let's be honest, the defense is horrific.
Honestly they are better than last year. They stop the run better and deep passes are at least 50/50 now instead of a sure completion like last year. Also as stated above the turnovers have been great. Far from good but close to mediocre.
What? Better than last year? And they're not really close to mediocre. They're giving up 80 more yards, and 6 more points per game than last years version. Horrific.
The stats are misleading. With the incredible pace of the offense, opposing teams are getting more possessions, and that's been countered to a great extent by the yards and points our offense is putting up.

BUt I do agree that this defense sucks sweaty donkey ####. They have a ways to go before they could be considered mediocre. Basically, it's only marginally better than last years Defense. Slightly better against the run, mostly because of better tackling, and generating more turnovers, but probably the same or slightly worse against the pass. Very frustrating watching teams convert 3rd and 7+ at a better than 50% clip

Anyone think the D gets better as the year goes on?
Think? Not sure. Hope? Definitely.

I don't expect they will get to the point of being called good, but if they can't improve to at least mediocre and find some kind of pass rush here and there I'll start continue to have my doubts about whether Davis is the guy for the job.

I don't like the 2-gap thing either. I think the results would be better with a more aggressive 1-gap 3-4 that suited the talent more, especially Cox.
Yes I do. I think they are already showing signs of improvement. They were the reason we weren't blown out against the Chiefs. They forced a few turnovers against the Giants. Some of the players aren't ideal fits in the 3-4, but they are learning and the guys we thought would be good fits are getting better and more comfortable.
Context is important here though. The Chiefs are riding their defense, not their O, the Giants are just terrible overall and the Bucs had a rookie QB in his 2nd start. I expect the Cowboys to have a pretty one dimensional gameplan against us but they do have talent in the passing game, so this will be a good game to see whether we have really improved v. the pass since the San Diego / Denver games.
I fully expect ROmo to pass for 350+ yards and 3-4 TDs. Fortunately, I think Foles can match him, and our running game is better. The only spot that concerns me is special teams

They are on pace to give up the most passing yards in the history of the NFL. We're talking historically bad here, people. I don't care what tests you do or who you blame it on, that's not going to win a division, no matter how bad the division might be. And that was the point of my original post on the defense. They cannot win the division with this defense. Can anyone possibly disagree with that?

They are on pace to give up the most passing yards in the history of the NFL. We're talking historically bad here, people. I don't care what tests you do or who you blame it on, that's not going to win a division, no matter how bad the division might be. And that was the point of my original post on the defense. They cannot win the division with this defense. Can anyone possibly disagree with that?
Sad thing is, yea they still could.

Lot of sense in here, but you've failed to account for the fact that the offense is setting records too, of the opposite kind...and that the other three teams in our division are all terrible....two of them haven't gotten a win outside of the division, one hasn't gotten a win at all. Eight wins could take the division, and the Eagles get six games against those three lousy teams, and already have one win outside the division with a couple more weak teams to play.

It's just a really wierd situation overall. We could see the defense set a record for yards allowed, the offense set a record for yards gained, and the team win the division at 8-8 or 9-7.

Denver's giving up more passing yards than Philly. More importantly, Dallas is only giving up six yards less a game than Philly. Those are the bottom three in the league. In rushing yardage the two Ds are vitually even, so there's no great difference in these two defenses.

On offense, Philly leads the league in rushing. Dallas is 25th. Passing, the Eagles are 10th, Dallas 12th. Throw in the home field advantage, Dallas rash of key injuries and of course the Eagles are favored.

So yeah, I disagree. Not only can they win the division with a pathetic defense, they are on schedule to do exactly that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think CK is one of those coaches who thinks "The best defense is a good offense." From what I heard him say about his defensive philosophy, he just want the ball back and for the offense to score off of turnovers. Games will rutinely be in the 30s until we get some all-world CBs. We might as well get used to it and stop worrying about ypg or ppg as a baseline grade. Turnovers kept us in the SD game, won the NYG game, played a part in the TB game, and won the Was game by halftime almost. There's a lot to be said about winning the turnover battle. I don't know the statistics behind it but it's intuitive.

I think CK is one of those coaches who thinks "The best defense is a good offense." From what I heard him say about his defensive philosophy, he just want the ball back and for the offense to score off of turnovers. Games will rutinely be in the 30s until we get some all-world CBs. We might as well get used to it and stop worrying about ypg or ppg as a baseline grade. Turnovers kept us in the SD game, won the NYG game, played a part in the TB game, and won the Was game by halftime almost. There's a lot to be said about winning the turnover battle. I don't know the statistics behind it but it's intuitive.
Saints won a Super Bowl doing it. They had the 1st ranked Offense with the 25th ranked defense but were 3rd in Turnover ratio with a +11 in 2009.

Fair enough fellas, interesting and very good counter points. It's an odd season taking shape for sure, and we're being aided by the disaster that is the rest of the division. Maybe it will work this year. I'm having fun watching it, I just don't think it can hold up for the whole season. We'll see what happens.

@AlbertBreer: @Jeff_McLane Chip Kelly has gone from changing the NFL (Wk 1) to being just a college coach (Wk 3) to leading the East (Wk 5) in a month.

Billy Bats said:
The rules state that if they score more points than their opponents in any given week, they are awarded a win. There are no caveats that state they may not win the division with a terrible defense.

Billy Bats said:
The rules state that if they score more points than their opponents in any given week, they are awarded a win. There are no caveats that state they may not win the division with a terrible defense.
:deadhorse:

@Tim_McManus: Good All-22 post from @SheilKapadia: How the offense works with Nick Foles at the helm. http://t.co/FtLeeqwyYc
this is a great read.
Read that last night and almost posted it in the Foles Era thread. Nice description how the game plan and play calling doesn't change with Vick vs. Foles. Debunks the theory that Foles can't run the Kelly offense.

Just my pure speculation, but to me it seems Vick hesitates a lot longer on his reads which gets him in trouble. He's able to escape by pure athletic ability (which happens often). OTOH, Foles makes the quick reads and hits the receivers more often and with greater accuracy. Also IIRC, someone broke down the pre-season film on the 2 QBs and concluded Foles made the correct decision more often than Vick (someone being Didinger, Kapadia or McManus?).

Billy Bats said:
I hope you didn't spend too much time on that.

I

No surprise but it's confirmed:

Gary Cobb: #Eagles Michael Vick said he's definitely not playing this week and isn't sure when he'll be ready, but he was able to do more today.

2:23pm - 17 Oct 13

I hope you didn't spend too much time on that.

I
Only took me about four seconds to prove that your statement was nonsense.

I hope you didn't spend too much time on that.I
Oh so you weren't trying to be funny? That's good to hear. And we'll see who's talking nonsense at the end of the year. :lol:

Oh so you weren't trying to be funny? That's good to hear. And we'll see who's talking nonsense at the end of the year. :lol:
Whatever you say, Giggles.

I had the privilege of being at this game. First, that day was so freaking cold. But none of it mattered during the last 5 minutes of that game.

I'll never forget the range of emotions from the crowd, ranging from the elation of stopping Emmitt the first time, the pure anger at the refs for bailing them out with the 2 minute whistle (that no one heard), and then the absolute explosion when they stopped him again.

Also after the game, the din of noise cascading down the ramps as everyone was walking on air leaving the Vet. The Vet was a dump, but I can't imagine a crowd as jacked as that one ever happening at the Linc.

I hope you're not actually going to cheer for us to lose so that you can be right. too many eagles fans like that

I hope you're not actually going to cheer for us to lose so that you can be right. too many eagles fans like that
Come on now, I'm not one of those, was just stating an opinion. If you read the discussion about the defense I started I gave credit for valid points against mine, I was just having fun with a poster who I thought was trying to be funny and not offering anything of substance. I hope I'm wrong and the posters who gave good arguments against are right, I just don't see how this defense can help win enough games to win the division. Even this terrible one we're in.

Billy Bats said:
Deamon said:
Come on now, I'm not one of those, was just stating an opinion. If you read the discussion about the defense I started I gave credit for valid points against mine, I was just having fun with a poster who I thought was trying to be funny and not offering anything of substance. I hope I'm wrong and the posters who gave good arguments against are right, I just don't see how this defense can help win enough games to win the division. Even this terrible one we're in.
The Saints won a Super Bowl with a defense that was 25th in total yards. Denver is undefeated this year giving up more passing yards than the Eagles. That doesn't mean this Eagle team is fine and dandy as is, but to think they have no shot at this terrible division is just crazy. As long as the offense can carry them, special teams can get their act together and the defense just provide some timely turnovers, they'll have an excellent shot at winning the division and getting bounced in the first round.

Well, Gents-it's Cowgirl time. I don't know about any of you, but I could no way have envisioned the NFC East being so butt-ugly bad. Despite it being much too early to deviate from just hoping for improvement over last year's cluster #####, I don't think ANY of us would be upset to be 4-3 and in 1st place at this point in the schedule. Beating Dallas is never a bad thing. I'm not sprouting playoff talk or anything, but I just hope we're improving as the season progresses. I especially hope that we get a good read on Foles in the next few games(win or lose).

If he's the guy going forward it would free up tons of money over the next few years to address the defense and other areas of need-e.g. Seattle with Russell Wilson. Having him as starting QB under contract for the amount he's owed would definitely help our salary cap situation. Seattle was able to get Harvin because of that type of flexibility. Of course, the jury's still out on how that will end up; but having those options can't be a bad thing.

3 points. I never thought I would see that.

Awesome game from the D, made me eat my crow. Just couldn't do a damn thing on offense. Pretty shocking. Romo even gave us his game killing interception and they couldn't capitalize. Tough division loss to take when your d plays like that.

VERY dissapointed in Foles today. A lot of poorly placed balls that ended drives. Not sure where that came from, because accuracy, to this point, has been his greatest strength, and it just wasn't there today. Announcers seemed to think he was nursing an injury that was hindering him?

MUCH better performance by the defense today If they play defense anything close to that well the rest of the year, the Eagles will still win this division (I'm pretty confident the offensive output today was an abberation and not the start of a negative trend)

Users who are viewing this thread