What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

heard today that eagles are a 9 point favorite. seems crazy, but chargers' o is really poor. if we come out and get a couple of early TD's, it will be over. We will destroy Dunlap and Fluker and tee off on Rivers.
I think it's more the intangibles. West coast team coming east to play a 10am game after a short week combined with a heartbreaking 4th quarter loss. Add to that what Philly's offense did and I can see the 9 pt spread.
I agree with this. Much more worried about how the KC game will go. I'm not sure how well our offense could perform on a super short week against what seems to be a quality defense.

That said, a 3-0 start looks more than possible.

KC has a battle with Dallas and 3 days to install some kind of game plan to stop Philly's offense. No chance they're prepared.

How do you guys feel about the D today......a few weeks ago I figured they would get steamrolled every week now an considering picking them up for theis week. Fatal homer mistake you think or do we have some potential?

How do you guys feel about the D today......a few weeks ago I figured they would get steamrolled every week now an considering picking them up for theis week. Fatal homer mistake you think or do we have some potential?
We have potential. We also have a DC that could be playing up more times then not-hopefully. And we don't have an OL coach running the D. Those who predict us to have a crap D seem to always forget my last point.

I'm starting them today and expecting a huge day from them and maybe a kick or punt return.

Well if your defense gets a negative for points allowed I wouldn't bother, they're not going to keep people from scoring. Rivers can turn the ball over and the special teams have the potential to return something, but I dont see anything special about them yet. Then again, I don't care too much about my defense, it's all a crap shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting them over kc this week...

Talked about it a lot in the rent a defense thread. I picked up Philly over Car, Oak, Dal and KC. I like the combination of a west coast team coming east and playing at 10am with a short week and a devastating MNF loss. Add to that the Philly defense was aggressive making turnovers and sacks along with the offense putting pressure on SD to score every time and I think they are a great play this week.

Love the D in some scoring formats...hate it in others. Sacks and turnovers and a chance for TD are there...but most leagues give negative points for big yards allowed or high points. IN those leagues I'd steer clear.

Wow, Schefter just reported that the Eagles were real close to obtaining Kaepernick prior to the 2012 draft for a 2nd. They backed out becuase they thought they could draft Wilson, and wound up with Foles. :kicksrock:

Billy Bats said:
Wow, Schefter just reported that the Eagles were real close to obtaining Kaepernick prior to the 2012 draft for a 2nd. They backed out becuase they thought they could draft Wilson, and wound up with Foles. :kicksrock:
Thanks buddy. I want to vomit now...

Billy Bats said:
So glad we have the inactive Vinny Curry instead.....

Didn't think the defense could be worse than last year. But they're getting a run for their money. No pass rush at all. Bad secondary. Can't get off the field on 3rd down. Terrible.

Didn't think the defense could be worse than last year. But they're getting a run for their money. No pass rush at all. Bad secondary. Can't get off the field on 3rd down. Terrible.
Problem was last 2 years they were horribly coached with little to no depth. This year they have a better coached but the players are worse. Already seen one of our CBs looking at the safety like "where were you" and that happened all last season. The common between this year and last year? Nate Allen.

One season isn't enough to fix the problems Reid left this team with defensively. The basically had to replace their entire secondary in one offseason.

Billy Bats said:
Wow. :( Wilson or CK would have been amazing. And I'm a huge Foles fan as well.

Sounds like an Andy move. "We could take Kaepernick, but we're totally getting Russell Wilson so no deal." Then, instead of grabbing him when he's available, Andy overthinks it and assumes he'll still be there in the 3rd. Thanks, Andy.

I didn't think it was possible for a defense to play more pathetic football than the Eagles did today. Gave up over 500 yards to a mediocre at best Chargers team at home. Forced only ONE punt the entire game.

Love the offense.

Loathe the defense.

Vick was pretty amazing today - glad to see him doing well after his future was up in the air during the offseason.

Nate Allen needs to go. I remember being so excited during the 2010 NFL Draft when the Eagles traded up to #13 - I thought for sure they were going for Earl Thomas. With Dawkins gone it made sense on so many levels - but then they picked Graham and Thomas went to Seattle at #14.

Whenever I see Allen I instantly think "Earl". Its one of their biggest blunders in the past few years imho. It isn't even a "hingsight is 20/20" thing either because Thomas WAS the pick they should have gone with. I think damn near everyone outside the Eagles war room knew that.

It is pretty bad though. Like I have said, there is only so much you can do in one offseason. They basically had to gut CB & S because what Reid left this team with was horrible.

I wish they would have thought about keeping Nnamdi and DRC or one of them at least. I guess they didn't realize that coaching could have been that bad last season, that it must be mostly the players.

Whenever I see Allen I instantly think "Earl". Its one of their biggest blunders in the past few years imho. It isn't even a "hingsight is 20/20" thing either because Thomas WAS the pick they should have gone with. I think damn near everyone outside the Eagles war room knew that.

It is pretty bad though. Like I have said, there is only so much you can do in one offseason. They basically had to gut CB & S because what Reid left this team with was horrible.

I wish they would have thought about keeping Nnamdi and DRC or one of them at least. I guess they didn't realize that coaching could have been that bad last season, that it must be mostly the players.
:goodposting:

That Earl Thomas blunder still stings until this day.

I wanted DRC to be re-signed. He's looked solid with the Broncos. Nnamdi had to go though IMO.

What a game of missed opportunities:

1. Overthrow and out of bounds throws to Jackson when open deep
  2. Drop (a tough one maybe) by Jackson when open deep
  3. Bad throw / drop for Casey in the end zone
  4. TD pass called back on a illegal formation penalty
  5. Couldn't recover fumbled kickoff
  6. Blown coverage by Cary Williams on Royal's 2nd TD catch. I think that was supposed to be quarters but Williams followed his man inside.
  7. Missed field goal by Henery
Frustrating game, couldn't cover, couldn't get any rush, couldn't get out of our own way on offense.

On the plus side, the big 3 are looking better than they have in a long time, Vick hasn't turned the ball over (I don't count that bogus "lateral"), they're moving the ball a ton and scoring points.

Honestly the worst call was that illegal format ion penalty. I watched the replay on dvr about 10 times and the refs must have a laser tracking system if they can tell that hes further off the line than the other tackle. They make a call like that when on SD oline King is basically tackling Trent Cole every play is just ridiculous.

I think the hype train exploded in the first half of the first game, when the reality is this team needs some work and the system has to prove itself

luckly for eagles fans the entire division is floundering, so if things come together they could still be ok

I think the hype train exploded in the first half of the first game, when the reality is this team needs some work and the system has to prove itself

luckly for eagles fans the entire division is floundering, so if things come together they could still be ok
:shrug:

The offense put up 30 points and that was with a missed FG.

Everyone in Philly knew the defense would be a work in progress, they're switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4, changed almost their entire secondary and don't have the correct personnel yet.

They hype train is just getting started. The rest of the NFC better take advantage this year because one Chip gets the right defensive personnel...look out.

Yeah, I think everyone was pretty realistic about what would happen this season, especially on defense.

The offense certainly had its struggles, but still can pick up yards and points in a flash. The final drive was pretty weak, though, when they really needed a TD.

And where was the running game? It was about 65% passing plays. Unless Chip just really saw that SD's pass defense was so horrid that he wanted to exploit that. But I think that a little more of a mix would have helped. Was surprised that they didn't try to run on the play when Foles came in.

6. Blown coverage by Cary Williams on Royal's 2nd TD catch. I think that was supposed to be quarters but Williams followed his man inside.
Frustrating game, couldn't cover, couldn't get any rush, couldn't get out of our own way on offense.

On the plus side, the big 3 are looking better than they have in a long time, Vick hasn't turned the ball over (I don't count that bogus "lateral"), they're moving the ball a ton and scoring points.
I couldn't watch the game...are you saying PHL left about 2 TDs on the field? Or did they score on those drives?

I couldn't watch the game...are you saying PHL left about 2 TDs on the field? Or did they score on those drives?

you have to be fair and mention the two gifted fumbles from the Chargers when they were in the red zone. Nearly balances all that stuff out.

Yeah, I think everyone was pretty realistic about what would happen this season, especially on defense.

The offense certainly had its struggles, but still can pick up yards and points in a flash. The final drive was pretty weak, though, when they really needed a TD.

And where was the running game? It was about 65% passing plays. Unless Chip just really saw that SD's pass defense was so horrid that he wanted to exploit that. But I think that a little more of a mix would have helped. Was surprised that they didn't try to run on the play when Foles came in.
I think Chip is going to do what he said the entire time. He's going to alter his gameplan based upon what team he faces and I think after 2 weeks it's pretty clear. SD couldnt stop the pass at all, there was no real need to run the ball when Vick was doing as well as he was.

I thought the Foles pass was the right call. 99% of the time when the back-up QB comes in you're expecting a run.

I think Chip is going to do what he said the entire time. He's going to alter his gameplan based upon what team he faces and I think after 2 weeks it's pretty clear. SD couldnt stop the pass at all, there was no real need to run the ball when Vick was doing as well as he was.

I thought the Foles pass was the right call. 99% of the time when the back-up QB comes in you're expecting a run.
I can see what you're saying, and, as I said, that game plan would make some sense. But the offense also bogged down a bit at times, including at a key moment on the final drive and I wonder if getting a little more running into the mix would have helped.

I find it odd that Vick was forced to sit out a play by an official. I know if a player comes off the field because of injury they have to miss a play but Vick said the official told him he was injured and had to sit.

Long Ball Larry said:
Steeler said:
Long Ball Larry said:
Was surprised that they didn't try to run on the play when Foles came in.
Why did Foles come into the game?
Vick got slammed to the ground after releasing a pass just before the 2-minute warning in the 2nd half. He was really shaken up, so Foles came in for 1 play.
Other than this play, how did Vick do regarding protecting himself? Did he dive head first into any piles trying to block for McCoy this week?

Long Ball Larry said:
Bigboy10182000 said:
Long Ball Larry said:

I can see what you're saying, and, as I said, that game plan would make some sense. But the offense also bogged down a bit at times, including at a key moment on the final drive and I wonder if getting a little more running into the mix would have helped.
I don't. At the end of the day you have to stop somebody. Anybody. At least a couple times in a row. At the end of the day it's points scored versus points given up. The offense held their end of the bargin IM but then again I dont believe in the "scoring too soon" stuff. Hanging 30 should be enough to beat SD at home IMO.

This should put a lot of Eagle fans back to reality a bit. We're a 8-8 team at best this season and what looked like a possible 3-0 start to this season could very well be 1-2 with a trip to Denver after that.

**The previously mentioned "Eagle fans" includes myself FWIW...I thought the D would be better but I was wrong.

Long Ball Larry said:
Me too, thought that was a really strange call. It was just before the 2 min warning so time wasn't an issue. Take a cold QB and have him throw a fade to the smallest guy on the field. Seemed almost like a designed throw away, but what's the point? I thought they should have just run it as well.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Long Ball Larry said:

You guys know that was by design right? Why else do you guys think Eric Weddle was up playing ILB. He was shadowing Shady and Vick in the running game.

you have to be fair and mention the two gifted fumbles from the Chargers when they were in the red zone. Nearly balances all that stuff out.
Balance isn't the point. If you want to win, you need to take advantage of (almost) every opportunity. That includes the ones your opponent gives you as well as the ones you create for yourself.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Long Ball Larry said:

You guys know that was by design right? Why else do you guys think Eric Weddle was up playing ILB. He was shadowing Shady and Vick in the running game.
SD wanted PHL to throw for 425 yards?

Long Ball Larry said:
Me too, thought that was a really strange call. It was just before the 2 min warning so time wasn't an issue. Take a cold QB and have him throw a fade to the smallest guy on the field.. Seemed almost like a designed throw away, but what's the point? I thought they should have just run it as well.
The bolded was the problem. Like someone else said they're probably expecting run, so I like the pass call, just not THAT pass.

Users who are viewing this thread