What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (1 Viewer)

What type if payout were the steelers demanding?
We may never know but I heard speculation it was in the $3.5-$4 million range. Without a cut Harrison was due well over $6 million this season and $7.5 million next year. It is a sad day for Steelers nation but you have to remember that it is a business and Harrison is 35, has had multiple injuries the past few seasons, and is always at risk for suspension. I will be very shocked if Harrison is offered more than $4 million to play somewhere else.I don't know the Browns needs on defense but he is from Clevelad so it wouldn't surprise me to see him end up there.

Worilds has started 10 of his 42 games in the NFL and has posted 10 sacks, including a career-high five sacks in 2012
Just read this in an article about Harrison on yahoo. Obviously Worilds has had a few snaps in games he didnt start, but this makes me feel a little better if he ends up starting opposite Woodley. I think Worilds has improved each season, no reason to think he cant take another step with more playing time this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harrison was set to make $7.6 million in 2014. By releasing Harrison, the Steelers create $5.105 million in cap space.

They've already put that money to good use, too.

A source told ESPN's John Clayton that the Steelers gave $1,323,000 tender offers to four restricted free agents -- running back Jonathan Dwyer, running back Isaac Redman, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders and defensive tackle Steve McLendon.

I will not be able to stomach another year of Dwyer at rb. I hope he is not on the final 45 if he is resigned.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
This was on Bleacher Report today -"We now have the numbers on just how much the Steelers expected Harrison to shave off his salary. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Pittsburgh offered the veteran linebacker an incentive-laden deal that started out with a 30 percent pay decrease: Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)---End of update--- "Basically looking for Harrison to take about 2M less in salary this year.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
This was on Bleacher Report today -"We now have the numbers on just how much the Steelers expected Harrison to shave off his salary. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Pittsburgh offered the veteran linebacker an incentive-laden deal that started out with a 30 percent pay decrease: Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)---End of update--- "Basically looking for Harrison to take about 2M less in salary this year.
If this is true, he is going to have a hard time finding a deal for more money on a preferred team. Yes he might find a perennial losing team with lots of cap space to offer him more. Best wishes Silverback. You provided lots of great memories that we won't soon forget.

'Kenny Powers said:
Worilds has started 10 of his 42 games in the NFL and has posted 10 sacks, including a career-high five sacks in 2012
Just read this in an article about Harrison on yahoo. Obviously Worilds has had a few snaps in games he didnt start, but this makes me feel a little better if he ends up starting opposite Woodley. I think Worilds has improved each season, no reason to think he cant take another step with more playing time this year.
I actually think that he will be a better pass rusher this year than Harrison would have been. He is not in the same league though as Harrison when it comes to defending the run. It is often overlooked how great Harrison was against the run.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
If this is true, he is going to have a hard time finding a deal for more money on a preferred team. Yes he might find a perennial losing team with lots of cap space to offer him more. Best wishes Silverback. You provided lots of great memories that we won't soon forget.
Agreed. I could be wrong but I have a tough time seeing another team offering him a guaranteed $4.5 million with incentives to earn $6.5 million this season. I wish him well (as long as he doesnt sign with a divisional foe) but I think the Steelers offer was very fair.BTW- the Saints gave Ivory a 2nd round tender so anyone wishing to see Ivory in a Steelers uniform this season can forget about it.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
This was on Bleacher Report today -"We now have the numbers on just how much the Steelers expected Harrison to shave off his salary. According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Pittsburgh offered the veteran linebacker an incentive-laden deal that started out with a 30 percent pay decrease:

Per a league source, the Steelers offered a reduction of roughly 30 percent in Harrison’s base salary of $6.57 million, with an opportunity to earn the money back via incentives. (The specific terms of the incentives aren’t known.)

---End of update--- "

Basically looking for Harrison to take about 2M less in salary this year.
Agreed. I could be wrong but I have a tough time seeing another team offering him a guaranteed $4.5 million with incentives to earn $6.5 million this season. I wish him well (as long as he doesnt sign with a divisional foe) but I think the Steelers offer was very fair.BTW- the Saints gave Ivory a 2nd round tender so anyone wishing to see Ivory in a Steelers uniform this season can forget about it.
Great. They stockpile running backs up there in New Orleans, don't they?

Colon was probably only going to be a Steeler until June anyway, but yeah, this probably is the death knell for him.
I have read that a team can designate a player as a June 1 cut and release him sooner. I assume the team doesn't realize any cap savings until June 1st though -- does anyone know for sure?

Colon was probably only going to be a Steeler until June anyway, but yeah, this probably is the death knell for him.
I have read that a team can designate a player as a June 1 cut and release him sooner. I assume the team doesn't realize any cap savings until June 1st though -- does anyone know for sure?
This is spot on, they will get the credit on June 1
In that case I guess the only thing you achieve by announcing it sooner is to give the player a chance to sign with another team earlier.

Dulac was blurbing that the savings would go into effect sooner.

Not that he's the bastion of information or anything.

Beanie Wells cut by AZ. Not my favorite player in the world, but if he comes really cheaply... there's upside there. He's only 24 and did have over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs the season before last on only 245 carries. There's a chance his God-awful numbers last year reflect the lack of ANY sort of passing game to keep defenses honest.

Beanie Wells cut by AZ. Not my favorite player in the world, but if he comes really cheaply... there's upside there. He's only 24 and did have over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs the season before last on only 245 carries. There's a chance his God-awful numbers last year reflect the lack of ANY sort of passing game to keep defenses honest.
If he's healthy, I'm not sure if there is a better early-down RB UFA, outside of Jackson. Big caveat with the first three words of that sentence, however. Can probably be had on a cheap "prove-it" contract.

If he's healthy, I'm not sure if there is a better early-down RB UFA, outside of Jackson. Big caveat with the first three words of that sentence, however. Can probably be had on a cheap "prove-it" contract.
If so, he might be worth a shot. He'd definitely get the chance to start in Pittsburgh if/when Mendenhall signs elsewhere, so it would be less about immediate $ and more about having what could be a really good run-blocking line in front of him and playing for a perennial contender. Could be just what the doctor ordered for his career if he can win the job and stay healthy. I could see him easily getting back to the 4.5 ypc he averaged 2 years ago. If he can get 250-300 carries in Pittsburgh, that's 1,125-1,350 yards - he could resurrect his career with numbers like that and be in line to cash in in a year or two.

Steelers resign G Ramon Foster per Adam Schefter twitter account
Good move. Provides depth and Foster has been one of our most durable lineman in recent years.Not sexy but the Steelers rarely are come free agency time...
This is probably not good news for Colon. Wouldn't surprise me to see him released now.
Steeler's Depot says it is a 1.2 million salary cap savings if they cut Colon. If this is true, I don't see why you would cut him. He has had a ton of injury problems, but he did look like he good be a great guard. I say roll the dice.

Steeler's Depot says it is a 1.2 million salary cap savings if they cut Colon. If this is true, I don't see why you would cut him. He has had a ton of injury problems, but he did look like he good be a great guard. I say roll the dice.
The savings are greater come June 1.

If so, he might be worth a shot. He'd definitely get the chance to start in Pittsburgh if/when Mendenhall signs elsewhere, so it would be less about immediate $ and more about having what could be a really good run-blocking line in front of him and playing for a perennial contender. Could be just what the doctor ordered for his career if he can win the job and stay healthy. I could see him easily getting back to the 4.5 ypc he averaged 2 years ago. If he can get 250-300 carries in Pittsburgh, that's 1,125-1,350 yards - he could resurrect his career with numbers like that and be in line to cash in in a year or two.
Cardinals fans could likely say similar things about their interest in getting Mendenhall. Letting go of Mendenhall and signing Beanie, 2 RBs Im thinking get similar contracts at least $ per yr wise, doesnt seem like a move that improves the team.If were going this route and signing an average RB with injury issues, Id much rather get Bradshaw than Wells. Not only do I think he's a better runner, but he has all the intangibles - hard worker, leadership, team player, great pass blocker - that Wells lacks as far as I know.

Also, I would just like to send out a big thank you to the Ravens for trading Boldin. I understand they have cap issues, but Boldin's $6 mill/yr I think is perfectly reasonable for him at this juncture, and he came up huge in the playoffs.

Also it was posted in the breaking news thread that the Steelers have contacted Paul Kruger's agent. Surely we cant afford him/match what other teams offer, right?!

DJ Williams cut by DEN. I think he could be a good fit, and maybe Im overestimating how underrated he is across the NFL, but I think we could sign him fairly cheap.

Also it was posted in the breaking news thread that the Steelers have contacted Paul Kruger's agent. Surely we cant afford him/match what other teams offer, right?!
We tried to keep Silverback at 30% reduced rate... which would have been 6.57 million spent. :2cents:
Not sure what youre trying to imply here. Obviously I know our cap situation is quite tight so Im surprised we even bothered talking to his agent, but doing so considering his demand makes me think there's actual interest.

We tried to keep Silverback at 30% reduced rate... which would have been 6.57 million spent. :2cents:
Not sure what youre trying to imply here. Obviously I know our cap situation is quite tight so Im surprised we even bothered talking to his agent, but doing so considering his demand makes me think there's actual interest.
Im saying the team was perfectly prepared to spend 6.5 million (and the cap space) on an OLB.So for them to inquire about Kruger and his asking price doesn't seem too crazy.

DJ Williams cut by DEN. I think he could be a good fit, and maybe Im overestimating how underrated he is across the NFL, but I think we could sign him fairly cheap.
Elvis Dumervil may follow.
I have no interest in Dum, guessing the Steelers wouldnt as well. That said, Steelers probably wont be reaching out for Williams either, but Im thinking he's going to some team at around $3M per yr maybe?? Perfectly affordable, a combination of his age and talent makes sense for a 2-3yr contract for us I think, stopgap type of guy. He would also fill a big need that wont be there in the 1st round (well, besides Ogletree who Im assuming is off the PIT big board).

Elvis Dumervil may follow.
I have no interest in Dum, guessing the Steelers wouldnt as well. That said, Steelers probably wont be reaching out for Williams either, but Im thinking he's going to some team at around $3M per yr maybe?? Perfectly affordable, a combination of his age and talent makes sense for a 2-3yr contract for us I think, stopgap type of guy. He would also fill a big need that wont be there in the 1st round (well, besides Ogletree who Im assuming is off the PIT big board).
And how much for Kruger? Whispers that both the Colts and Browns (who have 38 and 48 million in room) are wanting him.

Im saying the team was perfectly prepared to spend 6.5 million (and the cap space) on an OLB.So for them to inquire about Kruger and his asking price doesn't seem too crazy.
Gotcha. So whats the going rate or contract he will likely get as far as youve heard?

Gotcha. So whats the going rate or contract he will likely get as far as youve heard?
Highest Ive heard is CRAZY talk... like 10+ million a year.But really, who knows? Just turned 27 and had a personal high of 9 sacks on a team that turns out players in its system.

Highest Ive heard is CRAZY talk... like 10+ million a year.But really, who knows? Just turned 27 and had a personal high of 9 sacks on a team that turns out players in its system.
10-12 seems outlandish and pure speculation to me. 6-8 is what I wouldve just guessed myself, to high bidder like the Colts or Browns makes sense. And yeah, after looking, last year was more of a breakout for him - not that I think he's going to drop off. He hasnt had a few seasons in a row like that or anything. Depending on the contract, I wouldnt mind him in black and gold. Maybe the Steelers hedging their bets, or doubting, one of the highly touted pass rushers - Jordan, Ansah, Mingo, Jones, Werner - actually falls to them?! :chinscratch:

The savings are greater come June 1.
For this year, yes, but they'd be dumping $4.3M of dead money on to next year's cap. I'm personally not a fan of paying guys to play elsewhere.

Cardinals fans could likely say similar things about their interest in getting Mendenhall. Letting go of Mendenhall and signing Beanie, 2 RBs Im thinking get similar contracts at least $ per yr wise, doesnt seem like a move that improves the team.If were going this route and signing an average RB with injury issues, Id much rather get Bradshaw than Wells. Not only do I think he's a better runner, but he has all the intangibles - hard worker, leadership, team player, great pass blocker - that Wells lacks as far as I know.
Sure, but Bradshaw is likely to command a multi-year deal for more than what the Steelers can pay him. Wells just got cut to save Arizona 1.2 million. If he's willing to take a 1 or 2 year deal at $1,000,000 per or less (and seeing as AZ wasn't willing to pay 1.2 despite being able to afford it, he might be willing to do that if for no other reason than to have a chance to start on a team with a respectable offense to showcase himself) then I'd be interested. He'd be making less than what Dwyer just signed his tender for.

Jason La Confora reports ILB Larry Foote will most likely sign with Arizona, while ex-DAL ILB Dan Connor will likely visit Pittsburgh this week

Looks like Demarcus van Dyke resigned with Steelers for 1 year per his twitter feed (@d_vandyke8)
Nice to see the Steelers making a big splash on the first day of free agency. :thumbup: I imagine his salary is too low to counted against the cap so it really doesn't matter but van Dyke kinda stinks...

Colon gone per twitter and frees up $5.5M in cap room

ETA-looks like cap savings not realized until June

Take this FWIW:

Jason La Canfora reporting Steelers plan to resign Plaxico Burress to a 1 yr, vet minimum deal in the next few days

Colon gone per twitter and frees up $5.5M in cap room ETA-looks like cap savings not realized until June
The writing was on the wall after the Foster signing. Someone will sign Colon to a nice cap-friendly deal and get an excellent guard for as long as he can stay healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread