What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Subscriber Contest is LIVE (1 Viewer)

I didn't change my lineup for days. But then I decided I had to add someone, and after shuffling that around, I had $2 left.

And then I decided the $2 jump from Moreno to Ridley was a good idea. But then that was too many week 10 byes, especially at RB where I've had Alf the whole time. I'm a Skins homer. So I starred at that for a while, and finally swapped out Alf for CJ0K. Oiy. Don't know if I'll stand pat again or not.

ETA: Really though, the $2 jump from Moreno to Ridley may just be the best $2 jump in the whole thing. If Moreno is the backup and Ridley doesn't fumble. Of course, if Moreno ends up as the starter and Ridley does fumble his way out of a job, then it was the worst $2 jump in the whole thing. Uggghhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've got a website up and running for the live scoring and some other stuff I'm working on.

You can check it out here.

Obviously the live scoring hasn't started yet, and the site is not much to look at, but there are two things you can check out now:

First, you can create a login for the site now. Then once the contest locks and I get all the entries loaded into the database (sometime on Thursday) you'll be able to link your entry (and up to 9 others) to your login, just like you could on OC's site. I thought that was a great feature, since no one wants to remember all those six digit codes and whatnot. Note, you do not need to create a login to use the site, you'll be able to use the live scoring by keying in the entry number every time, you just need a login if you want to link entries.

Second, I've got a historical querier online. It's pretty simple right now, I plan to add a lot more functionality to it, but for the time being you can use it to find the survival rates for teams based on the number of players and the amount spent at each position, for each contest year from 2007 through 2013. So as you're making those last minute tweaks to your 2014 entry and you're considering going with just 1 QB, you can check and see how teams with just 1 QB have fared for the past 7 years.

This is and will continue to be a work in progress. I did a moderate amount of testing over the past two weeks but It's my first stab at anything like this so I'm sure there will be some kind of spectacular catastrophe at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Please let me know if you have any problems or feedback - there's a contact form on the site or you can post here, I'll be checking in.

Also I did throw a donation button on there but don't use it yet! Once the season gets rolling, IF the site works as planned and IF you find that it's providing value to your contest experience, I would appreciate a contribution to help offset some of the costs, but that's totally optional and I don't want anyone sending anything until I work out any bugs that may arise once the season starts for real.
Awesome dude :thumbup: , I appreciate you running with it and I'm looking forward to using it!

So I've got a website up and running for the live scoring and some other stuff I'm working on.

Obviously the live scoring hasn't started yet, and the site is not much to look at, but there are two things you can check out now:

First, you can create a login for the site now. Then once the contest locks and I get all the entries loaded into the database (sometime on Thursday) you'll be able to link your entry (and up to 9 others) to your login, just like you could on OC's site. I thought that was a great feature, since no one wants to remember all those six digit codes and whatnot. Note, you do not need to create a login to use the site, you'll be able to use the live scoring by keying in the entry number every time, you just need a login if you want to link entries.

Second, I've got a historical querier online. It's pretty simple right now, I plan to add a lot more functionality to it, but for the time being you can use it to find the survival rates for teams based on the number of players and the amount spent at each position, for each contest year from 2007 through 2013. So as you're making those last minute tweaks to your 2014 entry and you're considering going with just 1 QB, you can check and see how teams with just 1 QB have fared for the past 7 years.

This is and will continue to be a work in progress. I did a moderate amount of testing over the past two weeks but It's my first stab at anything like this so I'm sure there will be some kind of spectacular catastrophe at some point, probably sooner rather than later. Please let me know if you have any problems or feedback - there's a contact form on the site or you can post here, I'll be checking in.

Also I did throw a donation button on there but don't use it yet! Once the season gets rolling, IF the site works as planned and IF you find that it's providing value to your contest experience, I would appreciate a contribution to help offset some of the costs, but that's totally optional and I don't want anyone sending anything until I work out any bugs that may arise once the season starts for real.
Awesome dude :thumbup: , I appreciate you running with it and I'm looking forward to using it!
I'm not seeing a 6-digit number to use on the site. When I check my entry, the URL is http://subscribers.footballguys.com/myfbg/mycontestteam.php

I didn't change my lineup for days. But then I decided I had to add someone, and after shuffling that around, I had $2 left.

And then I decided the $2 jump from Moreno to Ridley was a good idea. But then that was too many week 10 byes, especially at RB where I've had Alf the whole time. I'm a Skins homer. So I starred at that for a while, and finally swapped out Alf for CJ0K. Oiy. Don't know if I'll stand pat again or not.

ETA: Really though, the $2 jump from Moreno to Ridley may just be the best $2 jump in the whole thing. If Moreno is the backup and Ridley doesn't fumble. Of course, if Moreno ends up as the starter and Ridley does fumble his way out of a job, then it was the worst $2 jump in the whole thing. Uggghhhhhh
IMPO, living in SoFla, I am confident Moreno will be the back to own over Ridley. He has more patience and much better blocking than Miller, who couldn't beat Daniel thomas out of the starting job last year (Daniel Thomas was released last week.) If Ridley fumbles even once I think White will get a shot with some of these Brady quotes I've seen about White.

On another note heres what I'm looking at: 3QBs, 6RBs, 7WRs, 3TEs, 2Defs, 2K I'll post what I chose tomorrow.

I actually stepped away from my more thorough method this year - but I also think I've paid a little more attention to what actually is going on with teams that in the last couple years with this contest. My team will still probably look like every other team anyway.

The week 9 and 10 byes are really tough this year though - I'm starting to think Goodell designed the schedule to make this contest more difficult.

-QG

I've made some changes to the Historical Querier on my site. You can now split by a criteria such as total roster size, or number of players at a certain position, by choosing one of the radio buttons at the bottom. This will make it much easier to answer questions like, "Do teams with 1 QB or 3 QBs survive at a higher rate?" or "What's the survival rate for teams with 20+ kickers?"

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

I think I'm officially locking myself in and refusing to look at it again...

3 QB $28

6 RB $87

7 WR $82

3 TE $33

3 K $10

3 DST $10

25 total for $250.

I've made some changes to the Historical Querier on my site. You can now split by a criteria such as total roster size, or number of players at a certain position, by choosing one of the radio buttons at the bottom. This will make it much easier to answer questions like, "Do teams with 1 QB or 3 QBs survive at a higher rate?" or "What's the survival rate for teams with 20+ kickers?"

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.
:tebow:

-QG

IMPO, living in SoFla, I am confident Moreno will be the back to own over Ridley. He has more patience and much better blocking than Miller, who couldn't beat Daniel thomas out of the starting job last year (Daniel Thomas was released last week.) If Ridley fumbles even once I think White will get a shot with some of these Brady quotes I've seen about White.

On another note heres what I'm looking at: 3QBs, 6RBs, 7WRs, 3TEs, 2Defs, 2K I'll post what I chose tomorrow.
Don't do this to me man. Now I'm going to change it again. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Don't do this to me man. Now I'm going to change it again. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Lol, I feel your pain. Go with your gut, I was just trying to present some information you may not have.

Spent about 10 minutes on it.

2 QB, 5 RB, 8 WR, 5 TE, 2 K, 2 D.

Not gonna mess with it. Can't wait til this thing locks so the real fun can begin. :)

Ugg... can week 4 be survived with a receiving core of:

WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/12 - $5
WR - Markus Wheaton - PIT/12 - $5
WR - Nate Washington - TEN/9 - $4
WR - Malcom Floyd - SD/10 - $4

:unsure:

2 QB

5 RB

11 WR

5 TE

3 PK

3 TD

Felt like there was tons of value at WR this year, not much else where. So went with two stud rbs, two mid tier qbs and a ton of cheap wrs I think are being grossly underrated.

i think i finally have mine...until I change my mind:

3QB's = $27

7RB's = $79

7WR's = $76

3TE's = $48

3K's = $9

3D's = $11

26 players; $250 total

for my final tweaks, I've started looking at players in pairs and it's been VERY helpful.

ie. I have WRX costing $X and WRY cost $Y. I look at $X + $Y = $Z and see if there's another combo of 2 WRs that add up to $Z that I feel better about.

Maybe that's ridiculously obvious to everyone else, but I found that it was a good way to stop the info-overload of trying to balance the cost of all these players across all the positions. What I also found was that by doing this type of pair comparision, I ended up shaving a dollar here and there that I could then spend somewhere else in another pair comparison.

This is my first year doing the contest! Going with the studs approach. 19 players selected... now I gotta pray they stay injury free

After reworking completely about 8 times, just decided to try going small roster with studs. Most people throw out tons of fliers, and I've been doing that too every year. This year I'll just bet on health. No whammies, no whammies

QB - Tom Brady - NE/10 - $17
QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/12 - $10
RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/10 - $30
RB - Eddie Lacy - GB/9 - $28
RB - Toby Gerhart - JAX/11 - $21
RB - Knowshon Moreno - MIA/5 - $13
WR - Calvin Johnson - DET/9 - $31
WR - Roddy White - ATL/9 - $19
WR - Cordarrelle Patterson - MIN/10 - $18
WR - Cody Latimer - DEN/4 - $6
WR - John Brown - ARI/4 - $3
TE - Jordan Cameron - CLE/4 - $22
TE - Heath Miller - PIT/12 - $10
TE - Travis Kelce - KC/6 - $8
PK - Nate Freese - DET/9 - $3
PK - Graham Gano - CAR/12 - $3
TD - Carolina Panthers - CAR/12 - $4
TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/6 - $4

This is awesome work - thanks! :thumbup:

Not sure if I am happy with this team or not, but wanted some studs...

Any glaring errors???

QB - Peyton Manning - DEN/4 - $30
QB - Blake Bortles - JAX/11 - $3
RB - Frank Gore - SF/8 - $16
RB - Jonathan Stewart - CAR/12 - $5
RB - Alfred Blue - HOU/10 - $3
RB - DeAnthony Thomas - KC/6 - $2
WR - Alshon Jeffery - CHI/9 - $24
WR - Julian Edelman - NE/10 - $17
WR - Golden Tate - DET/9 - $13
WR - Mike Evans - TB/7 - $11
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/12 - $5
WR - Mohamed Sanu - CIN/4 - $3
WR - Stedman Bailey - STL/4 - $2
WR - Ace Sanders - JAX/11 - $2
TE - Jason Witten - DAL/11 - $18
TE - Travis Kelce - KC/6 - $8
TE - Timothy Wright - NE/10 - $5
PK - Steve Hauschka - SEA/4 - $6
PK - Dan Bailey - DAL/11 - $4
TD - San Francisco 49ers - SF/8 - $7
TD - Kansas City Chiefs - KC/6 - $5

Not sure if I am happy with this team or not, but wanted some studs...

Any glaring errors???

QB - Peyton Manning - DEN/4 - $30

QB - Blake Bortles - JAX/11 - $3

RB - Frank Gore - SF/8 - $16

RB - Jonathan Stewart - CAR/12 - $5

RB - Alfred Blue - HOU/10 - $3

RB - DeAnthony Thomas - KC/6 - $2

WR - Alshon Jeffery - CHI/9 - $24

WR - Julian Edelman - NE/10 - $17

WR - Golden Tate - DET/9 - $13