What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 / 2016 Devy Prospects (1 Viewer)

There's going to be a "Melvin Gordon" for the 2015 and 2016 eligible class.

There's going to be a TE that's more talented than Eric Ebron for 2015, yet no one is talking about him. There is absolutely no buzz. No, its not Devin Funchess.
Are you waiting for an invitation to share? Isn't that the point of the thread? I'm confused as to your intent here.
I've got leaguemates on FBGs, so I won't publicly reveal their names until August.
then your reasoning for bumping this thread now is...?
McCarthyism at it's finest.

Xue, you need to chill out man. This isn't a Xue vs the world thing. FBG message boards are supposed to be a community DISCUSSION board for people to learn. Just because others don't agree with you, doesn't mean they're wrong or you're right. Lets discuss, learn, etc. We're in a league together and you're the commish. Yet i'm not throwing out how you finished or the picks you made that went wrong...because everyone has wrong calls in FF. In a league with EBF/JohnnyU/ConceptCoop/DexterDew...I picked Juron Criner in front of Crabtree 2 off seasons ago....eeeeek. Does that mean I don't have a clue? Not at all, it means I took a chance and I missed. If I win every league or if I guess right on a lesser known prospect, does that mean I know it all? No, we're all learning in this together.

Ecclesiastes 4:10

That's all subjective. They look very similar to me. Similar style of running and cutting. Similar bow-legged carriage. They even hail from the same state.

Beckham was 5'11 1/4" 198 at the combine with a 4.38 40, 38.5" vertical, and 3.94 short shuttle.

Noil was 6'0" 176 at the Nike SPARQ testing with a 4.45 40, 44" vertical, and 3.87 short shuttle.

Noil played primarily as an option QB in high school, but he will be a WR in college. With a few years of development, he should come out looking a lot like OBJ in 3-4 years. The athletic framework is there. I think he had the highest SPARQ score of any high school recruit tested last year.
I sure hope so. I just grabbed him at 5.08 in a devy draft.

There's going to be a TE that's more talented than Eric Ebron for 2015, yet no one is talking about him. There is absolutely no buzz. No, its not Devin Funchess.
Are you waiting for an invitation to share? Isn't that the point of the thread? I'm confused as to your intent here.
I've got leaguemates on FBGs, so I won't publicly reveal their names until August.
then your reasoning for bumping this thread now is...?
McCarthyism at it's finest.

Xue, you need to chill out man. This isn't a Xue vs the world thing. FBG message boards are supposed to be a community DISCUSSION board for people to learn. Just because others don't agree with you, doesn't mean they're wrong or you're right. Lets discuss, learn, etc. We're in a league together and you're the commish. Yet i'm not throwing out how you finished or the picks you made that went wrong...because everyone has wrong calls in FF. In a league with EBF/JohnnyU/ConceptCoop/DexterDew...I picked Juron Criner in front of Crabtree 2 off seasons ago....eeeeek. Does that mean I don't have a clue? Not at all, it means I took a chance and I missed. If I win every league or if I guess right on a lesser known prospect, does that mean I know it all? No, we're all learning in this together.

Ecclesiastes 4:10
Where do you see aggression here? Yes, he's being coy, but I don't see any hostility

There's a RB in the ACC that's going to remind everyone of David Wilson when he blows up this season. He'll be a True Sophomore.

There's a RB in the ACC that's going to remind everyone of Kenyan Drake. He'll be a Redshirt Freshman. Won't be a workhorse, though, as another Redshirt Freshman recovering from a major injury may be the thunder to his lightning.
are these different sets of clues for the players in the first post? or two different players with their own clues?

On deck, more or less looking for confirmation, I think. Narrowed down to Stacy Coley, Sammie Coates, Austin Hill, Keith Marshall, Bo Scarborough. We do an 8 round draft every year. You can keep a player for the round you selected him until he declares for the pros. Just to give you an idea of what I've been looking at I have picked Jaelen Strong, Devin Funchess, and Kenyan Drake so far. I kept Alex Collins and Jay Ajayi for 5th and 6th round picks last year. So, after this pick I am on the sidelines for about 20 picks, betting all of those guys are gone by the time I pick again. Promoting too many players at once can be difficult on the roster crunch and I already promoted 4 this year (Watkins, M Lee, J Hill, Shazier), so I really only want to add more guys that would declare after this year if they are likely (or at least possible) 1st round rookie picks (maybe an idp). I don't have any huge needs on my active roster - short a stud RB but full of quantity and deepest position is WR - don't make decisions based on need when it comes to kids anyway though. Anyway, enough rambling, below is a brief summary of my feelings of these 5

Coley - leaning picking him, can't declare this year and has #1 rookie dyno upside. No matter what else I do him, Drake, and Collins could be a nice haul for 2016 if they continue to develop. Could be two top 5 dyno picks and maybe another if Drake gets more touches that I think he deserves.

Coates - if I am picking a guy that declares this year he is where I am leaning, but...how good can he be? I see the potential on the field, but with the lack of volume it's difficult to get a read on his ceiling. If he is in the Davante Adams/Jordan Matthews/cody Latimer/Allen Robinson tier then it'll make him vs. Coley challenging. If he's a step down it'll be easier to pick Coley.

Hill - more proven than the above, but coming off injury. Did not watch him enough in 2012 to get comfortable with how a healthy Hill would slot in vs. other WR's.

Marshall - size, speed, and body make up are there but lack of production...2nd fiddle to Gurley...likely won't get an opportunity this year even if healthy to show he's the goods because of Gurley...rumors of being redshirted are swirling around because of his rehab...and probably most importantly I don't feel good about his running style. Not a perfect match by any means, but I see some bad Knile Davis/Demarco Murray in his game. He runs stiff, doesn't have great instincts, and exposes himself to a lot of violent hits - I'd argue it's why he got hurt. I think it'd be difficult to argue he doesn't have the most fantasy upside among these options, but I'd also think it's difficult to argue his likelihood of never amounting to much is higher than everyone too.

Scarborough - gut says it's too early for him, would rather throw darts at incoming freshmen later, but these guys are freshmen whores so he (and backup plans) may not be there. i.e. Collins was the last of the marquee options last year and I had to pick him with a 6th, ticking a lot of people off. A run will probably hit before I pick again leaving me with 2nd tier freshmen, 3rd tier active players, and less valuable positions. If risk:reward doesn't justify Marshall, Coates and Hill are too much meh, and Coley doesn't have as much great potential as I think then he makes sense.

What say you?

I like Coates personally but I can see the struggle between him and Coley. Coates seemed to have more physicality to his game but Coley more smooth explosiveness. Id use the extra year of production as a the breaker. After all neither guy may end up in your roster long term so if nothing else you get a chance to cash in next years rookie hype window.

ETA: looks like the consensus is Coley over Coates fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like that many of the devy prospects out there right now. I have the 1.05/1.06 picks in an all-class league where almost everyone besides Gurley, Yeldon, and Tyner is available. Gordon, Davis, and Fournette will likely be gone when I'm up. Don't know who I'm picking yet of the leftovers. Coley has some interesting qualities, but he looks super skinny right now and I'm not sure he's going to have the right kind of body for the league. Was not really that impressed with Marquez North's route running or movement now that I finally saw an extensive highlight package of him. Also believe that Treadwell and D Henry are overrated, possibly by a lot. Karlos Williams is good, but very very straight-line. Reminds me of a Knile Davis or Darren McFadden type of runner.

The guys I'm intrigued by are mostly of the "sleeper" variety and probably don't warrant a super high pick. Given that you mentioned Keith Marshall, I'll throw out incoming 5 star Georgia RB Nick Chubb as another name to consider. I'm only lukewarm on his game highlights, but if you want a guy with freaky upside then this kid has the potential to be another Jonathan Stewart. May not have such a compact or strong lower body, but already has an NFL frame at around 5'11" 225. Recently went as low as 10.69 in the 100m. Led all RBs in SPARQ at the Nike HS combines last year where he had a 4.47 40 and a 40.8" vertical. He already fits the physical mold of an NFL first rounder, so you don't need to worry about that. All he has to do is come in and produce a little bit at Georgia and his value will blow up. I would probably roll with him there.

I like Scarbrough, but I see him as a WR and not a RB. If they insist on keeping him in the backfield, I don't think he's going to be a great prospect.

I don't like that many of the devy prospects out there right now. I have the 1.05/1.06 picks in an all-class league where almost everyone besides Gurley, Yeldon, and Tyner is available. Gordon, Davis, and Fournette will likely be gone when I'm up. Don't know who I'm picking yet of the leftovers. Coley has some interesting qualities, but he looks super skinny right now and I'm not sure he's going to have the right kind of body for the league. Was not really that impressed with Marquez North's route running or movement now that I finally saw an

Seems like a classic opportunity then to take BPA (Treadwell) and flip, or trade back. Id add Boyd to your options though

Bronx Bomber said:
I like Coates personally but I can see the struggle between him and Coley. Coates seemed to have more physicality to his game but Coley more smooth explosiveness. Id use the extra year of production as a the breaker. After all neither guy may end up in your roster long term so if nothing else you get a chance to cash in next years rookie hype window.

ETA: looks like the consensus is Coley over Coates fwiw.
Count me in as someone who likes Coley best. I say that and if you listened to me on Coates that might be surprising because I like him a lot as well. Coley looks like a potential top 10 pick to me. I can't wait to see what he does this year.

EBF said:
I don't like that many of the devy prospects out there right now. I have the 1.05/1.06 picks in an all-class league where almost everyone besides Gurley, Yeldon, and Tyner is available. Gordon, Davis, and Fournette will likely be gone when I'm up. Don't know who I'm picking yet of the leftovers. Coley has some interesting qualities, but he looks super skinny right now and I'm not sure he's going to have the right kind of body for the league. Was not really that impressed with Marquez North's route running or movement now that I finally saw an extensive highlight package of him. Also believe that Treadwell and D Henry are overrated, possibly by a lot. Karlos Williams is good, but very very straight-line. Reminds me of a Knile Davis or Darren McFadden type of runner.

The guys I'm intrigued by are mostly of the "sleeper" variety and probably don't warrant a super high pick. Given that you mentioned Keith Marshall, I'll throw out incoming 5 star Georgia RB Nick Chubb as another name to consider. I'm only lukewarm on his game highlights, but if you want a guy with freaky upside then this kid has the potential to be another Jonathan Stewart. May not have such a compact or strong lower body, but already has an NFL frame at around 5'11" 225. Recently went as low as 10.69 in the 100m. Led all RBs in SPARQ at the Nike HS combines last year where he had a 4.47 40 and a 40.8" vertical. He already fits the physical mold of an NFL first rounder, so you don't need to worry about that. All he has to do is come in and produce a little bit at Georgia and his value will blow up. I would probably roll with him there.

I like Scarbrough, but I see him as a WR and not a RB. If they insist on keeping him in the backfield, I don't think he's going to be a great prospect.
Stefon Diggs (WR, Maryland) is my favorite WR of underclassmen. Not the perfect frame, but love his game and is ultra athletic.

EBF said:

Stefon Diggs (WR, Maryland) is my favorite WR of underclassmen. Not the perfect frame, but love his game and is ultra athletic.
Yea, I think he's the best draft-eligible WR in college football by some distance, but the frame might keep him in the 2nd round. He's not Paul Richardson small, but he's not a big guy either. He's already long gone in my all-class devy leagues unfortunately.

EBF said:

Yea, I think he's the best draft-eligible WR in college football by some distance, but the frame might keep him in the 2nd round. He's not Paul Richardson small, but he's not a big guy either. He's already long gone in my all-class devy leagues unfortunately.
Agreed. Phenomz Dynasty draft just recently completed where can have 1 college player per roster (14 teams). Couldn't believe how far Diggs fell..last college player chosen. Big SOD in my opinion.

Already claimed prior to draft:

- Todd Gurley

- T.J Yeldon

- Duke Johnson

1.03: Melvin Gordon

2.05: Mike Davis

2.07: Amari Cooper

2.09: Derrick Henry

3.03: Jaelen Strong

3.04: Dorial Green-Beckham

3.05: Laquon Treadwell

3.06: Karlos Williams

3.13: Jay Ajayi

4.11: Stefon Diggs

** one team decided not to roster a college player, so only 13 presently claimed.

That's a pretty good price for him. Although I like him, I'd also add that my "best draft-eligible WR" label comes in the context of what looks like a pretty weak crop of college WRs to me. I really don't see a lock first rounder in the group at this juncture, even if you expand the pool to include the 2016 guys. We've had some pretty strong WR groups in recent years, but this next class might be a bit of a dud. As always, late-risers will change the equation by the time the NFL draft rolls around.

Bronx Bomber said:
Xue said:

Xue said:
There's a RB in the ACC that's going to remind everyone of David Wilson when he blows up this season. He'll be a True Sophomore.

There's a RB in the ACC that's going to remind everyone of Kenyan Drake. He'll be a Redshirt Freshman. Won't be a workhorse, though, as another Redshirt Freshman recovering from a major injury may be the thunder to his lightning.
are these different sets of clues for the players in the first post? or two different players with their own clues?
Four different RBs, but you've seen my Devy rankings, so you probably know the answers already.

I'll play...

Xue said:

I'll stay in the B1G and go Tevin Coleman.

Xue said:

First one I believe is Mizzell..

For the duo, I'll throw my hat at Gallman and Dye.

I chose Coates. The more I thought about it the more I am convinced that Coates is Coley if he gains twenty pounds and doesn't lose any speed. His game actually kinda reminds me of another Sammy...

EBF said:

If Treadwell is overrated, who is your #1 WR for 2016?

EBF said:

Give me Boyd.

EBF said:

Haven't seen anyone I like yet from that WR class. I want to see more of Stringfellow, but he might have to sit out a year with his off-field stuff. Also eager to see what Seals-Jones can bring if he's healthy. I liked Robbie Rhodes okay out of high school, but he was quiet as a freshman.

I think that class looks stronger at the other positions for the time being. We'll see if anyone can emerge this next season.

EBF said:

Give me Boyd.
Boyd's upside will be limited by his height (6'1'-6'2") and if he can't get over 200 lbs. He's fairly polished with great hands and routes. All that makes him a fairly "safe" pick, but I don't see him currently or eventually being the #1 WR in 2016.

EBF said:

Haven't seen anyone I like yet from that WR class. I want to see more of Stringfellow, but he might have to sit out a year with his off-field stuff. Also eager to see what Seals-Jones can bring if he's healthy. I liked Robbie Rhodes okay out of high school, but he was quiet as a freshman.

I think that class looks stronger at the other positions for the time being. We'll see if anyone can emerge this next season.
IIRC, Rhodes has had some off-field issues too.

EBF said:

Give me Boyd.
Boyd's upside will be limited by his height (6'1'-6'2") and if he can't get over 200 lbs. He's fairly polished with great hands and routes. All that makes him a fairly "safe" pick, but I don't see him currently or eventually being the #1 WR in 2016.
I like his upside more than Beckham, and his frame didn't preclude him from being a top 15 pick.

If DHenry's spring ball #s hold up at the combine (6'2", 243 lbs, 4.52 40, 41" vert), he'll be an elite RB prospect that we haven't seen in several years. I'm buying. I also buy the Treadwell hype, though he obviously has more bust potential.

Henry is an interesting case. As a general rule, I don't like tall RBs. They usually struggle with elusiveness and "getting small" through tight spaces. I see some of that with Henry. He has very long legs that present a big target for tacklers. I know he was a five star prospect out of high school, but he had relatively quiet freshman season. Then he busted two big plays in the Oklahoma game and suddenly everyone was treating him like a top 10 all-class devy prospect. I see him as a guy worth monitoring, but right now he's a prime contender for most overrated devy prospect (although there are LOTS of contenders for that distinction). Alabama prospects are overrated in general, as there seems to be a belief that having some success there automatically puts you in contention for being the next Julio or next Richardson. Just look at how high Henry, Cooper, and Howard are ranked. Then consider where they'd be ranked if they had identical stats at a low-profile school like Oregon State or Vanderbilt. Not to say those guys don't have talent and can't become elite prospects, but the visibility factor really inflates perceptions of their talent relative to the field.

On that note, I am working on assembling another rough set of all-class devy rankings. Here are some guys who I think are underrated:

RB Nick Chubb, Georgia - Five star prospect by all the major recruiting sites. He runs a 4.4 in the 40, has a 40+ inch vertical, and already has an NFL body even though he's just now graduating high school. He might not be the best pure runner in this high school class, but the nice thing about Chubb is that you don't need to project any physical development to see him as a first round NFL RB prospect because he already has the physical tool kit. If he does anything at all as a freshman, he'll be worth a lot more a year from now than he right this second (see: Derrick Henry). He has a good chance to become a better version of Beanie Wells. He's a little upright and a little top heavy, and I don't see a lot of great cuts in his highlight reels, but the flat out size/speed/strength combo is freaky.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State - The rising sophomore is considered the frontrunner for Carlos Hyde's starting role. He has a good frame to work with at a listed height/weight of 6' 210 and room to add more. He was the Missouri state champion in the 110m hurdles as a high schooler, so you likely don't need to worry about his speed and athletic ability. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, an important quality that will help set him apart from other big backs. He looks athletic on the field and was effective with limited touches last season. My only concern is that he appears to be a long strider and might struggle to run inside and make sharp, compact cuts without the loss of momentum. But purely as an athlete he has a lot of the right ingredients and is a prime candidate to see his stock explode after he becomes a focal point of the Buckeye offense this season.

RB Michael Dyer, Louisville - If you read my CFB posts, you have heard it all before. When a player vanishes from the spotlight for a while, it's really easy to forget about him. Look at Toby Gerhart and Bryce Brown. Most people are prone to thinking in terms of what happened yesterday, so these "what have you done for me lately?" and "out of sight, out of mind" guys who flashed elite talent before stumbling through adversity often become huge value plays. I look at most devy RB rankings and see legions of mediocre prospects while a guy like Dyer with obvious NFL starter talent can't get any love. I think that's ripe for exploitation. On raw ability alone, he might be a top 2-3 RB in college football and if that sounds crazy then just remember what he did in his first two seasons at Auburn and go watch him in action. His 2013 season never really got out of the blocks due mainly to injuries, but I saw the spring game footage from this year and he looks 100% back. I expect Petrino to give him lots of chances. He's over-aged and he has character issues, but he's going to destroy the combine next year with a chiseled 5'9" 220-225 pound physique and a 40 time in the 4.4X range. He reminds me of a cross between Michael Turner and MJD.

WR Ty Montgomery, Stanford - 61 catches for 958 yards and 10 TDs isn't an incredible stat line on its own, but when you consider that Stanford never throws the ball it's pretty good production. Montgomery is going to make himself a lot of money at the combine next year. He's a rock of a human at ~ 6'1" 215. He's rumored to have a 40" vertical and he was a 10.8 100m guy in high school, so we're likely looking at a 4.4X 40 time. Combine that with his kickoff return skills (one of the best in the nation) and he seems like a lock for a top 100 slot in next year's draft. The biggest issue with him is that he's a better athlete than WR. He doesn't play with great tenacity and if you watch his highlight reels you should notice that there's an absence of "ball skills" type plays where he has to contort his body and make acrobatic catches. He's more of a stiff, robotic player and that limits my excitement about his chances of becoming a #1 target in the NFL. You get the feeling that something is missing, not totally unlike a Moncrief or Martavis Bryant type of player. He may be a better functional athlete than either though. He's a different proposition from a guy like Chubb, who's highly volatile with a huge ceiling. As a draft commodity, Montgomery is highly likely to go in the 2nd-3rd round and highly unlikely to become a 1st. So if you just want a solid single out of a late devy pick, he's a good choice.

TE Ben Koyack, Notre Dame - This one is a bit more of a flyer. Limited college production to date, but it's understandable when you consider the unbroken chain of Rudolph-Eifert-Niklas that Notre Dame has had at the TE position. Koyack was an elite prep recruit in his own right and with those guys out of the way it should be his turn to showcase his skills. He only has 14 career catches, so his projection requires a lot of guesswork. Based on the footage that's out there, he clearly has the requisite size for the next level and seems like a good athlete relative to his frame. This is a guy you should be able to snipe DEEP in a dev draft who seems to have the potential to become a 2nd-3rd round NFL draft pick with a strong senior season. You can see some of his 2013 catches at the links below:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9954049

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8biKI2Jrk0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIFuyVjXVVw

http://youtu.be/7dQNgJotnno?t=1m54s

Henry is an interesting case. As a general rule, I don't like tall RBs. They usually struggle with elusiveness and "getting small" through tight spaces. I see some of that with Henry. He has very long legs that present a big target for tacklers. I know he was a five star prospect out of high school, but he had relatively quiet freshman season. Then he busted two big plays in the Oklahoma game and suddenly everyone was treating him like a top 10 all-class devy prospect. I see him as a guy worth monitoring, but right now he's a prime contender for most overrated devy prospect (although there are LOTS of contenders for that distinction). Alabama prospects are overrated in general, as there seems to be a belief that having some success there automatically puts you in contention for being the next Julio or next Richardson. Just look at how high Henry, Cooper, and Howard are ranked. Then consider where they'd be ranked if they had identical stats at a low-profile school like Oregon State or Vanderbilt. Not to say those guys don't have talent and can't become elite prospects, but the visibility factor really inflates perceptions of their talent relative to the field.
I generally agree with you (though in leagues with a lot of trading, it never hurts to have 'Bama's junior starter; he'll be an early 1st whether worth it or not), but Henry is such a better physical talent (imo) than Ingram, TRich, or Lacy; if he can show vision, and the ability to lower his pads and truck LBs, and good agility, I'll like him more than I have any RB over the last several years.

EBF - what do you think about Jalen Hurd?
As I mentioned, I don't generally like tall running backs. There have been some great ones like Peterson and SJax, but in general they sacrifice quickness and leverage compared to shorter players. I've not watched Hurd extensively, but in clips I've seen he doesn't look like anything special. A little bit of wiggle, but he would need to add a lot of bulk to play in the NFL and his mobility doesn't wow me. So I get kind of a "meh" vibe from him like Derrick Henry and Ty Isaac last year.

I generally agree with you (though in leagues with a lot of trading, it never hurts to have 'Bama's junior starter; he'll be an early 1st whether worth it or not), but Henry is such a better physical talent (imo) than Ingram, TRich, or Lacy; if he can show vision, and the ability to lower his pads and truck LBs, and good agility, I'll like him more than I have any RB over the last several years.
Well, Ingram and Lacy bombed their workouts, so that's not saying as much as it might seem. Richardson's problems seem to be mental more than they are physical. He has a very rare combination of speed and power. 228 pounds on a 5'9 1/4" frame combined with a 4.48 in the 40 at his pro day. That's something you don't see very often. I don't think Henry is that gifted athletically. He's not nearly as stocky, but he's so tall that he really stands out (literally). When you see a player that big running that fast it gets your attention.

What would scare me is that, putting aside his HS reputation, most of his hype comes from a small handful of plays. He had 38 carries and 1 catch last season. These few plays accounted for a huge percentage of his total yards:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9852312

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9852453

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10235492

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10235108

Are those plays really that spectacular? I like the last one. He has the vision to break outside and the speed to pull away. In general though, all you really see him do on these plays is use his speed to bounce outside and then run a long way in a straight line. Can he run inside? Can he make precise cuts in traffic? Can he make anyone miss in the open field? He looks pretty flexible and agile for a tall guy, but he's very high cut with a very high center of gravity.

To draw a parallel, Andre Williams was a terror last season on outside runs where he could get into space and use his long strides to pull away from people. However, he was a surprisingly bad inside runner. Even though he's a big and strong looking back, his long legs don't allow him to pick and weave through traffic in the same way that someone like Ray Rice or LeSean McCoy could. He's physically incapable of changing directions within the tight windows that those guys can operate.

I think Henry shows a lot of potential and certainly his size/speed is something that jumps out at you right away. He had a big reputation in HS and must be pretty good to get immediate PT as a true freshman at Bama. It's a little scary that he's already rated so high though. I think if he had sat out that Oklahoma game then he'd be ranked far, far lower on most boards. But two big plays on a national stage and suddenly he's a cemented top 10 overall devy prospect on most boards.

Could he justify that? Yes. Is he a good value there? Probably not when you can get Chubb or Fournette far cheaper. Two guys with equivalent high school hype, just as much if not more speed, and more prototypical NFL dimensions. It's not like they're THAT much less proven than Henry and his 39 college touches.

Koyack doesn't look any special to be on the Devy radar even in deeper leagues. I don't think he's even the most talented TE on the current roster. He played just as much as Niklas, yet wasn't as productive.

As for Henry, his BMI is a healthy 31.2. It's not like he's twig at that height.

As I mentioned, I don't generally like tall running backs. There have been some great ones like Peterson and SJax, but in general they sacrifice quickness and leverage compared to shorter players. I've not watched Hurd extensively, but in clips I've seen he doesn't look like anything special. A little bit of wiggle, but he would need to add a lot of bulk to play in the NFL and his mobility doesn't wow me. So I get kind of a "meh" vibe from him like Derrick Henry and Ty Isaac last year.
Hurd is 230 lbs. When you say "add" a lot of bulk what do you mean?

Weight doesn't tell you much about body type in the absence of height information. Tennessee's official site has him at 6'3" 221, which would make him a McFadden-like stick figure with a 27.6 BMI. That corroborates what my eyeballs tell me. He looks like a DB.

Size isn't everything at RB. Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, and Adrian Peterson are not very big. But those guys can really blaze with elite, almost world class track speed. And they're pretty slippery too. Especially Peterson. Impossible to get a clean hit on.

I don't know if Hurd has that kind of speed or running ability. I didn't see it in the limited clips I watched. He doesn't have an NFL tool kit today, so if you pick him in a dev league you're banking on physical development. I don't like to draft high school kids in devy leagues if I can avoid it, but when I do I would favor someone who already has NFL caliber tools even if he doesn't grow or develop at all. Hence why I'd probably roll with Fournette and Chubb from this RB class even if they aren't necessarily going to be the best when the dust settles. You don't have to project any development since they already have the requisite size/speed.

How would you guys rank Jay Ajayi, Nick Chubb, Malachi Dupre, Stacy Coley, Sammie Coates as NFL prospects?

How would you guys rank Jay Ajayi, Nick Chubb, Malachi Dupre, Stacy Coley, Sammie Coates as NFL prospects?
i don't rank players that haven't made it through a season of college but I'd put the other threeAjayi

Coates

Coley

They're all close though. Had a difficult time with Coates vs Coley but realized Coates is now where i think Coley is this time next year.

i don't rank players that haven't made it through a season of college but I'd put the other threeAjayiCoatesColeyThey're all close though. Had a difficult time with Coates vs Coley but realized Coates is now where i think Coley is this time next year.
I don't rank guys who I haven't seen play an NCAA down, either. That said, I have the 3 guys you ranked reversed.Coley

Coates

Ajayi

It's remarkably close though. I could change them all around by next week. Coates has been gaining ground fast for me this offseason. You have a solid point in that Coates is today what Coley might be next year. I still think Coley is a smoother athlete on the field, though.

Thanks guys; I don't know what to think of Ajayi right now, but that's mostly due to having no clue how the NFL is currently grading college backs.

Jaelen Strong and Stefon Diggs are two others I keep waffling a bit between tiers.

Thanks guys; I don't know what to think of Ajayi right now, but that's mostly due to having no clue how the NFL is currently grading college backs.

Jaelen Strong and Stefon Diggs are two others I keep waffling a bit between tiers.
i think Ajayi is legit but in order to be drafted early he really needs to step his game up this year. Otherwise round three is best case, he becomes kinda situation dependent. I think I'm in the minority but I am easily taking Strong over Diggs. I think most le a n the other way.

i think Ajayi is legit but in order to be drafted early he really needs to step his game up this year. Otherwise round three is best case, he becomes kinda situation dependent. I think I'm in the minority but I am easily taking Strong over Diggs. I think most le a n the other way.
Nope, I like Strong a good bit more as well.

EBF said:
Denver724 said:
EBF said:
LususV said:
Weight doesn't tell you much about body type in the absence of height information. Tennessee's official site has him at 6'3" 221, which would make him a McFadden-like stick figure with a 27.6 BMI. That corroborates what my eyeballs tell me. He looks like a DB.

Size isn't everything at RB. Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, and Adrian Peterson are not very big. But those guys can really blaze with elite, almost world class track speed. And they're pretty slippery too. Especially Peterson. Impossible to get a clean hit on.

I don't know if Hurd has that kind of speed or running ability. I didn't see it in the limited clips I watched. He doesn't have an NFL tool kit today, so if you pick him in a dev league you're banking on physical development. I don't like to draft high school kids in devy leagues if I can avoid it, but when I do I would favor someone who already has NFL caliber tools even if he doesn't grow or develop at all. Hence why I'd probably roll with Fournette and Chubb from this RB class even if they aren't necessarily going to be the best when the dust settles. You don't have to project any development since they already have the requisite size/speed.
Hurd looks just as fast as Fournette and he moves very well for a RB so "skinny": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SUaRZCzV7A

He runs some nice routes and has great hands. Worse case-scenario is that he converts to WR/TE. But he's already the most talented RB on the roster, so that won't happen.

He does a great job of getting low in traffic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60dnwa5jgUs

Watch how the level of his head is the same as the defenders. Very good forward lean. It's only until he gets in the open field where he starts getting more upright.

On that note, I am working on assembling another rough set of all-class devy rankings. Here are some guys who I think are underrated:

RB Nick Chubb, Georgia - Five star prospect by all the major recruiting sites. He runs a 4.4 in the 40, has a 40+ inch vertical, and already has an NFL body even though he's just now graduating high school. He might not be the best pure runner in this high school class, but the nice thing about Chubb is that you don't need to project any physical development to see him as a first round NFL RB prospect because he already has the physical tool kit. If he does anything at all as a freshman, he'll be worth a lot more a year from now than he right this second (see: Derrick Henry). He has a good chance to become a better version of Beanie Wells. He's a little upright and a little top heavy, and I don't see a lot of great cuts in his highlight reels, but the flat out size/speed/strength combo is freaky.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State - The rising sophomore is considered the frontrunner for Carlos Hyde's starting role. He has a good frame to work with at a listed height/weight of 6' 210 and room to add more. He was the Missouri state champion in the 110m hurdles as a high schooler, so you likely don't need to worry about his speed and athletic ability. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, an important quality that will help set him apart from other big backs. He looks athletic on the field and was effective with limited touches last season. My only concern is that he appears to be a long strider and might struggle to run inside and make sharp, compact cuts without the loss of momentum. But purely as an athlete he has a lot of the right ingredients and is a prime candidate to see his stock explode after he becomes a focal point of the Buckeye offense this season.

RB Michael Dyer, Louisville - If you read my CFB posts, you have heard it all before. When a player vanishes from the spotlight for a while, it's really easy to forget about him. Look at Toby Gerhart and Bryce Brown. Most people are prone to thinking in terms of what happened yesterday, so these "what have you done for me lately?" and "out of sight, out of mind" guys who flashed elite talent before stumbling through adversity often become huge value plays. I look at most devy RB rankings and see legions of mediocre prospects while a guy like Dyer with obvious NFL starter talent can't get any love. I think that's ripe for exploitation. On raw ability alone, he might be a top 2-3 RB in college football and if that sounds crazy then just remember what he did in his first two seasons at Auburn and go watch him in action. His 2013 season never really got out of the blocks due mainly to injuries, but I saw the spring game footage from this year and he looks 100% back. I expect Petrino to give him lots of chances. He's over-aged and he has character issues, but he's going to destroy the combine next year with a chiseled 5'9" 220-225 pound physique and a 40 time in the 4.4X range. He reminds me of a cross between Michael Turner and MJD.

WR Ty Montgomery, Stanford - 61 catches for 958 yards and 10 TDs isn't an incredible stat line on its own, but when you consider that Stanford never throws the ball it's pretty good production. Montgomery is going to make himself a lot of money at the combine next year. He's a rock of a human at ~ 6'1" 215. He's rumored to have a 40" vertical and he was a 10.8 100m guy in high school, so we're likely looking at a 4.4X 40 time. Combine that with his kickoff return skills (one of the best in the nation) and he seems like a lock for a top 100 slot in next year's draft. The biggest issue with him is that he's a better athlete than WR. He doesn't play with great tenacity and if you watch his highlight reels you should notice that there's an absence of "ball skills" type plays where he has to contort his body and make acrobatic catches. He's more of a stiff, robotic player and that limits my excitement about his chances of becoming a #1 target in the NFL. You get the feeling that something is missing, not totally unlike a Moncrief or Martavis Bryant type of player. He may be a better functional athlete than either though. He's a different proposition from a guy like Chubb, who's highly volatile with a huge ceiling. As a draft commodity, Montgomery is highly likely to go in the 2nd-3rd round and highly unlikely to become a 1st. So if you just want a solid single out of a late devy pick, he's a good choice.

TE Ben Koyack, Notre Dame - This one is a bit more of a flyer. Limited college production to date, but it's understandable when you consider the unbroken chain of Rudolph-Eifert-Niklas that Notre Dame has had at the TE position. Koyack was an elite prep recruit in his own right and with those guys out of the way it should be his turn to showcase his skills. He only has 14 career catches, so his projection requires a lot of guesswork. Based on the footage that's out there, he clearly has the requisite size for the next level and seems like a good athlete relative to his frame. This is a guy you should be able to snipe DEEP in a dev draft who seems to have the potential to become a 2nd-3rd round NFL draft pick with a strong senior season. You can see some of his 2013 catches at the links below:

I'm a buckeye fan and have grabbed Elliott in a few devy drafts. Was actually able to get him for $1 in a recent startup auction that had only 2 devy nominations per team. I knew he'd be cheap, but I was thinking more like $5 or something.

He showed some nice flashes last year as a true freshman and had almost 9 YPC, though much of it was late in blowouts against bad competition. He did flash a nice combo of speed, power, hands and some moves. Check out the jump cut he puts on a PSU defender at the 1:40 mark here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxrvw0bv4w

Also, he's up to almost 230 pounds, so he's really filled out already. Added almost 20 pounds in the past year.

I'm a buckeye fan and have grabbed Elliott in a few devy drafts. Was actually able to get him for $1 in a recent startup auction that had only 2 devy nominations per team. I knew he'd be cheap, but I was thinking more like $5 or something.

He showed some nice flashes last year as a true freshman and had almost 9 YPC, though much of it was late in blowouts against bad competition. He did flash a nice combo of speed, power, hands and some moves. Check out the jump cut he puts on a PSU defender at the 1:40 mark here:

Also, he's up to almost 230 pounds, so he's really filled out already. Added almost 20 pounds in the past year.
If he moves as well at 230lbs as he did at 210lbs he's gonna be a high NFL draft pick. Will be interesting to see.

If he moves as well at 230lbs as he did at 210lbs he's gonna be a high NFL draft pick. Will be interesting to see.
Yeah, looking forward to seeing how he does against legit competition. Almost all his carries last year were against bad teams that were already beat down.

He did look good during the spring at 226 though, so I don't think the weight will be an issue for him. He is one of the fastest guys in the OSU program still.

Corey Clement fans/owners, why are you so high on him? How would your 2016 RBs rank?
Guy's just your prototypical workhorse NFL back imo. He's stocky, runs with power (particularly for a true freshman), has great quickness, and makes sharp cuts while losing little speed. He hasn't proven it yet, but I think he'll prove to be a good weapon in the passing game this season. He might only have 4.5 wheels and he could prob do with putting on 5-10lbs before his NFL combine in 2016, but all in all he seems like a real safe pick to have a successful NFL career; I think he'll have a better NFL career than his teammate Melvin Gordon FWIW.

Can't say I'm familiar with enough names in the 2016 RB class to offer much of a proper ranking, but I'd have to imagine I'd have Clement near the very top.

Corey Clement fans/owners, why are you so high on him? How would your 2016 RBs rank?
Guy's just your prototypical workhorse NFL back imo. He's stocky, runs with power (particularly for a true freshman), has great quickness, and makes sharp cuts while losing little speed. He hasn't proven it yet, but I think he'll prove to be a good weapon in the passing game this season. He might only have 4.5 wheels and he could prob do with putting on 5-10lbs before his NFL combine in 2016, but all in all he seems like a real safe pick to have a successful NFL career; I think he'll have a better NFL career than his teammate Melvin Gordon FWIW.

Can't say I'm familiar with enough names in the 2016 RB class to offer much of a proper ranking, but I'd have to imagine I'd have Clement near the very top.
What's your definition of "better NFL career"?

You've said Gordon is overrated (Which I disagree with), but I think Clement is overrated as well. He's ranked by DLF as a top 5 Devy RB and I've seen him go in the 1st or 2nd of 3 startup Devys. Two of them are 10-rounds, and one is a 15-rounder. At that slot, I'd pass on him.

You've said Gordon is overrated (Which I disagree with), but I think Clement is overrated as well. He's ranked by DLF as a top 5 Devy RB and I've seen him go in the 1st or 2nd of 3 startup Devys. Two of them are 10-rounds, and one is a 15-rounder. At that slot, I'd pass on him.
Better from a fantasy standpoint, which is what I personally care about. Gordon's game just won't translate to the NFL very well imo, or at the very least his game is abnormal enough from the majority of NFL backs who have success that I wouldn't be comfortable at all in predicting NFL success in his future. He's got good long speed but he's not very quick, he's got really long strides which is unideal, he's got 3 receptions in 3 years, his cutting ability is mediocre, and despite being jacked he still weighs under 210lbs, which is awfully light for a 6'1 back.

Compare that to Clement, who's stockier, quicker, has short strides, and has excellent cutting ability. If he can add some receptions to his resume this year he'll basically check off all the most important and typical skills that the majority of successful NFL RBs possess. In massive 10/15 round Devy drafts he's definitely worth a 1st/2nd round pick imo. Though I'd rather grab a draft eligible guy in the first round like Karlos Williams or Mike Davis then grab Clement later.

Better from a fantasy standpoint, which is what I personally care about. Gordon's game just won't translate to the NFL very well imo, or at the very least his game is abnormal enough from the majority of NFL backs who have success that I wouldn't be comfortable at all in predicting NFL success in his future. He's got good long speed but he's not very quick, he's got really long strides which is unideal, he's got 3 receptions in 3 years, his cutting ability is mediocre, and despite being jacked he still weighs under 210lbs, which is awfully light for a 6'1 back.

Compare that to Clement, who's stockier, quicker, has short strides, and has excellent cutting ability. If he can add some receptions to his resume this year he'll basically check off all the most important and typical skills that the majority of successful NFL RBs possess. In massive 10/15 round Devy drafts he's definitely worth a 1st/2nd round pick imo. Though I'd rather grab a draft eligible guy in the first round like Karlos Williams or Mike Davis then grab Clement later.
Gordon is a clone of J. Charles, how do you know he can't catch? James White(scat back) had those opportunities last year and White + Montee Ball the year before. That was a stacked group, so i'm unsure you can count his redshirt freshman year against him. That's like discounting Corey Clement's 1 reception his freshman season...funny how you don't mention it.

Doesn't Charles have long strides?

Gordon isn't quick?

Mediocre cutting ability?

Gordon is smooth and effortless, don't confuse that with non-athletic. He has good cutting ability/vision/acceleration. I'd argue that his acceleration is better than his speed. His long speed is good, but he's not running in the 4.3's IMO. He gets up to top gear quickly(acceleration).

Keep in mind, you're excited about Corey Clement's abilities based on playing Tenn. Tech/Purdue/Indiana/U Mass. I'd want to see more production before investing a top 20 devy pick in a player that is 3 years away from contributing to my FF team. I felt the same way regarding D. Henry, but I didn't about Gurley/Yeldon because they already had 1,000 yard 6 YPC seasons under their belts at the same age.

Can you quantify that for me? Put some numbers to it.

There are numerous RB styles that have success. Plenty like Clement who fail. I think they're different, but the difference in style isn't what makes one better than the other. Style isn't talent level.

Users who are viewing this thread