What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 / 2016 Devy Prospects (2 Viewers)

Corey Clement fans/owners, why are you so high on him? How would your 2016 RBs rank?
Guy's just your prototypical workhorse NFL back imo. He's stocky, runs with power (particularly for a true freshman), has great quickness, and makes sharp cuts while losing little speed. He hasn't proven it yet, but I think he'll prove to be a good weapon in the passing game this season. He might only have 4.5 wheels and he could prob do with putting on 5-10lbs before his NFL combine in 2016, but all in all he seems like a real safe pick to have a successful NFL career; I think he'll have a better NFL career than his teammate Melvin Gordon FWIW.

Can't say I'm familiar with enough names in the 2016 RB class to offer much of a proper ranking, but I'd have to imagine I'd have Clement near the very top.
What's your definition of "better NFL career"?

You've said Gordon is overrated (Which I disagree with), but I think Clement is overrated as well. He's ranked by DLF as a top 5 Devy RB and I've seen him go in the 1st or 2nd of 3 startup Devys. Two of them are 10-rounds, and one is a 15-rounder. At that slot, I'd pass on him.
Better from a fantasy standpoint, which is what I personally care about. Gordon's game just won't translate to the NFL very well imo, or at the very least his game is abnormal enough from the majority of NFL backs who have success that I wouldn't be comfortable at all in predicting NFL success in his future. He's got good long speed but he's not very quick, he's got really long strides which is unideal, he's got 3 receptions in 3 years, his cutting ability is mediocre, and despite being jacked he still weighs under 210lbs, which is awfully light for a 6'1 back.

Compare that to Clement, who's stockier, quicker, has short strides, and has excellent cutting ability. If he can add some receptions to his resume this year he'll basically check off all the most important and typical skills that the majority of successful NFL RBs possess. In massive 10/15 round Devy drafts he's definitely worth a 1st/2nd round pick imo. Though I'd rather grab a draft eligible guy in the first round like Karlos Williams or Mike Davis then grab Clement later.
Gordon is a clone of J. Charles, how do you know he can't catch? James White(scat back) had those opportunities last year and White + Montee Ball the year before. That was a stacked group, so i'm unsure you can count his redshirt freshman year against him. That's like discounting Corey Clement's 1 reception his freshman season...funny how you don't mention it.

Doesn't Charles have long strides?

Gordon isn't quick?

Mediocre cutting ability?

Gordon is smooth and effortless, don't confuse that with non-athletic. He has good cutting ability/vision/acceleration. I'd argue that his acceleration is better than his speed. His long speed is good, but he's not running in the 4.3's IMO. He gets up to top gear quickly(acceleration).

Keep in mind, you're excited about Corey Clement's abilities based on playing Tenn. Tech/Purdue/Indiana/U Mass. I'd want to see more production before investing a top 20 devy pick in a player that is 3 years away from contributing to my FF team. I felt the same way regarding D. Henry, but I didn't about Gurley/Yeldon because they already had 1,000 yard 6 YPC seasons under their belts at the same age.
Despite how common the Melvin Gordon/Jamaal Charles comparison is, I think it's rather inaccurate. They look similar with their hair and their kind of gliding run style, but that's where the similarities end imo. A disproportionate amount of Gordon's success comes from outside runs where he just blows by everybody in a straight line. Jamaal Charles on the other hand has some of the best cutting ability in the league; his ability to make cuts and contort his body to run at angles without losing speed is perhaps matched by no one in the NFL. Gordon doesn't have either of those skills anywhere close to Jamaal Charles' level, and seeing how that's such a huge part of Charles' success I think it makes the Charles/Gordon a rather poor comparison. Not to mention Charles does have elite quickness and speed whereas Gordon doesn't imo.

And I did mention Clement's lack of receptions in both of my posts about him; but basically I'm willing to give Clement a pass on it before Gordon because Gordon's been in the offense for 3 seasons whereas Clement's only been in it for 1. If Clement ends up getting no receptions this season and Gordon gets a bunch then my prospects for Clement and Gordon will definitely change to some degree, but honestly I don't anticipate that situation happening; I think Clement could have as much if not more receptions than Gordon this year, but we'll see for sure.

And yes I'm basing my opinions of Clement based on games against Tenn. Tech/Purdue/Indiana/U Mass, but I'm not just looking at his stats are presuming he'll be able to continue that, I'm actually watching him play and based on the skills I've believed he has displayed am predicting future success against other opponents; it's an important distinction.

Corey Clement fans/owners, why are you so high on him? How would your 2016 RBs rank?
Guy's just your prototypical workhorse NFL back imo. He's stocky, runs with power (particularly for a true freshman), has great quickness, and makes sharp cuts while losing little speed. He hasn't proven it yet, but I think he'll prove to be a good weapon in the passing game this season. He might only have 4.5 wheels and he could prob do with putting on 5-10lbs before his NFL combine in 2016, but all in all he seems like a real safe pick to have a successful NFL career; I think he'll have a better NFL career than his teammate Melvin Gordon FWIW.

Can't say I'm familiar with enough names in the 2016 RB class to offer much of a proper ranking, but I'd have to imagine I'd have Clement near the very top.

You've said Gordon is overrated (Which I disagree with), but I think Clement is overrated as well. He's ranked by DLF as a top 5 Devy RB and I've seen him go in the 1st or 2nd of 3 startup Devys. Two of them are 10-rounds, and one is a 15-rounder. At that slot, I'd pass on him.
Better from a fantasy standpoint, which is what I personally care about. Gordon's game just won't translate to the NFL very well imo, or at the very least his game is abnormal enough from the majority of NFL backs who have success that I wouldn't be comfortable at all in predicting NFL success in his future. He's got good long speed but he's not very quick, he's got really long strides which is unideal, he's got 3 receptions in 3 years, his cutting ability is mediocre, and despite being jacked he still weighs under 210lbs, which is awfully light for a 6'1 back.

Compare that to Clement, who's stockier, quicker, has short strides, and has excellent cutting ability. If he can add some receptions to his resume this year he'll basically check off all the most important and typical skills that the majority of successful NFL RBs possess. In massive 10/15 round Devy drafts he's definitely worth a 1st/2nd round pick imo. Though I'd rather grab a draft eligible guy in the first round like Karlos Williams or Mike Davis then grab Clement later.
Can you quantify that for me? Put some numbers to it.

There are numerous RB styles that have success. Plenty like Clement who fail. I think they're different, but the difference in style isn't what makes one better than the other. Style isn't talent level.
No not really; quantifying non-numeric data isn't something I'm willing to go through.

You're right that style isn't talent level and that plenty of backs like Clement have failed before; but I think certain styles definitely translate better to the NFL than others, and despite no style being fool-proof I think some have a higher hitting rate than others from a fantasy standpoint at least.

Can you quantify that for me? Put some numbers to it.

There are numerous RB styles that have success. Plenty like Clement who fail. I think they're different, but the difference in style isn't what makes one better than the other. Style isn't talent level.
No not really; quantifying non-numeric data isn't something I'm willing to go through.

You're right that style isn't talent level and that plenty of backs like Clement have failed before; but I think certain styles definitely translate better to the NFL than others, and despite no style being fool-proof I think some have a higher hitting rate than others from a fantasy standpoint at least.
Then how can we determine who is or would be the better fantasy contributor after the fact?

I think they'll both translate. Gordon is a big-play machine who could yield a high YPC in the NFL. Clement will more of a "grinder" type that will pick up chunks of short and medium runs. I don't see any reason why one would be seen over the other to get more carries in the NFL.

As for the Charles comparisons, I don't really like it either. But we should be comparing them as prospects, not the current Gordon vs the NFL Charles. I think Charles definitely cuts much better than Gordon, though.

Gordon is a clone of J. Charles, how do you know he can't catch? James White(scat back) had those opportunities last year and White + Montee Ball the year before. That was a stacked group, so i'm unsure you can count his redshirt freshman year against him. That's like discounting Corey Clement's 1 reception his freshman season...funny how you don't mention it.

Doesn't Charles have long strides?

Gordon isn't quick?

Mediocre cutting ability?

Gordon is smooth and effortless, don't confuse that with non-athletic. He has good cutting ability/vision/acceleration. I'd argue that his acceleration is better than his speed. His long speed is good, but he's not running in the 4.3's IMO. He gets up to top gear quickly(acceleration).

Keep in mind, you're excited about Corey Clement's abilities based on playing Tenn. Tech/Purdue/Indiana/U Mass. I'd want to see more production before investing a top 20 devy pick in a player that is 3 years away from contributing to my FF team. I felt the same way regarding D. Henry, but I didn't about Gurley/Yeldon because they already had 1,000 yard 6 YPC seasons under their belts at the same age.
Despite how common the Melvin Gordon/Jamaal Charles comparison is, I think it's rather inaccurate. They look similar with their hair and their kind of gliding run style, but that's where the similarities end imo. A disproportionate amount of Gordon's success comes from outside runs where he just blows by everybody in a straight line. Jamaal Charles on the other hand has some of the best cutting ability in the league; his ability to make cuts and contort his body to run at angles without losing speed is perhaps matched by no one in the NFL. Gordon doesn't have either of those skills anywhere close to Jamaal Charles' level, and seeing how that's such a huge part of Charles' success I think it makes the Charles/Gordon a rather poor comparison. Not to mention Charles does have elite quickness and speed whereas Gordon doesn't imo.

And I did mention Clement's lack of receptions in both of my posts about him; but basically I'm willing to give Clement a pass on it before Gordon because Gordon's been in the offense for 3 seasons whereas Clement's only been in it for 1. If Clement ends up getting no receptions this season and Gordon gets a bunch then my prospects for Clement and Gordon will definitely change to some degree, but honestly I don't anticipate that situation happening; I think Clement could have as much if not more receptions than Gordon this year, but we'll see for sure.

And yes I'm basing my opinions of Clement based on games against Tenn. Tech/Purdue/Indiana/U Mass, but I'm not just looking at his stats are presuming he'll be able to continue that, I'm actually watching him play and based on the skills I've believed he has displayed am predicting future success against other opponents; it's an important distinction.
You're correct, he's not an exactly clone of Charles...but they're similar. I was under the assumption you were indicating his style wasn't going to be successful and we have a really good indicator in Charles.

I think Charles is a better athlete with a little more quickness and speed, but they're similar. I think many have forgotten Charles as a prospect(who I liked and took over CJ and Felix) but he wasn't a finished product. He's developed his game to be a much more patient runner and reads his blocks/defenders much better now. I think Gordon is ahead of Charles in this aspect(when they were in college).

Charles in college

vs

Gordon in college

How do you guys think the 2015 RB class compares to this years? I'm looking at a possible dynasty trade where I give up my RB1 in exchange for 2 late 1st rounders next year. Since I don't watch much college ball I don't know anything about the prospects coming in. I know NFL landing spot matters a lot, but I feel like the 2014 class isn't that exciting and I don't think I'd feel comfortable expecting or even hoping for RB1 numbers from any of the guys. I'd end up with 3 mid-late 1st rounders next year so I could probably use them as ammo to move up earlier in the 1st if I had to.

Edit: mixed up the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
2015 RB class is the best in a long time imo. WRs look pretty weak, but if you need RBs I'd be going all in for 2015. 2016 could be good too, but really there's not enough information to come to a rational conclusion for something so far in the future imo.

2015 RB class is the best in a long time imo. WRs look pretty weak, but if you need RBs I'd be going all in for 2015. 2016 could be good too, but really there's not enough information to come to a rational conclusion for something so far in the future imo.
Thanks. I'm an idiot and mixed up the years. I meant to ask about the 2015 RB class compared to this year's 2014 class.

You answered my question though. I appreciate it.

I'll play...

There's going to be a "Melvin Gordon" for the 2015 and 2016 eligible class.

There's going to be a TE that's more talented than Eric Ebron for 2015, yet no one is talking about him. There is absolutely no buzz. No, its not Devin Funchess.
I'll stay in the B1G and go Tevin Coleman.
Dwayne Washington: will be a rSO this season and is the more talented than Sankey. David Williams: will be a rSO next season and is more talented than Mike Davis.

There's a RB in the ACC that's going to remind everyone of David Wilson when he blows up this season. He'll be a True Sophomore.

There's a RB in the ACC that's going to remind everyone of Kenyan Drake. He'll be a Redshirt Freshman. Won't be a workhorse, though, as another Redshirt Freshman recovering from a major injury may be the thunder to his lightning.
First one I believe is Mizzell..

For the duo, I'll throw my hat at Gallman and Dye.
Myles Willis. Not a fan of Mizzell. I've got TJ Logan over Mizzell.

Yes those two are correct.

I'm pretty high on Alex Collins and he has great vision and instincts and a certain running style to him, but....

Korliss Marshall is just as talented if not more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vA8fqfhomc

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Article/Hogs-practice-on-Saturday-with-RB-Korliss-Marshall-standing-out-28230546

“He jumped back in on Tuesday,” Bielema said. “Tuesday was a freak show. He had a couple of runs on Tuesday that were off the charts. I think everybody recognizes offensively and defensively how exciting he is. The thing I think about is here's a kid that was offered really by one major school, us, and the impact he's going to have not just this next year, but the year's ahead. He's an exceptional football player.”
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/marshall-shines-during-arkansas-red-white-game

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — Korliss Marshall lived up to his "freak-show" billing, providing Arkansas' offense with a much-needed boost of excitement.

The sophomore, who moved from part timer to full-time running back during the offseason, had 99 yards rushing and a pair of touchdowns on six carries during the Razorbacks Red-White game on Saturday.

On a day when Arkansas' anemic passing game continued to struggle, Marshall's 59-yard touchdown burst ignited the predominantly first-team Red to a 61-22 win over the White in front of an estimated 30,000 fans in Razorback Stadium.

Marshall split time between safety and running back during the Razorbacks difficult 3-9 record last season, but he had earned the "freak-show" designation from Arkansas coach Bret Bielema this spring — thanks to his explosive speed and moves.

Everyone saw exactly what Bielema was talking about on Saturday

"It feels really good considering I didn't get a touchdown last season," Marshall said. "So, I got to get in here, show some of my skills and let everybody see the real speed."

I didn't know these were perceptions of him. Actually, I would have associated those with a more popular guy on his team.

We had a debate about this on Twitter.

I don't think Henry runs high, never said that. He does however have long legs in terms of his body structure and a lot of area to get hit.

He doesn't have great lateral agility and that's the only play I remember all season where he was even showed good agility. That play is set up perfect to cut back inside with the defense flowing very hard over the top(especially the 1st defender). The play I was referencing was vs Arkansas(I was wrong on Twitter).

One thing I worry about with Henry are his legs, being so tall he has to cut outside of his frame(knee injuries) or just getting injured.

Henry is a freak athlete at the RB position. Players that are that big shouldn't be that quick or fast. However, we need a lot more data before he's the 2nd coming(where devy rankings have him currently). After this season we should have a good idea.

I didn't know these were perceptions of him. Actually, I would have associated those with a more popular guy on his team.
Even so, we can go and find one play where Yeldon had low pad level(vs Kentucky near the GL or vs A&M when he runs over a defender near the GL) to help prove our thoughts. But in general, Yeldon runs a bit too high. I think he's gotten better at this during his career at Bama, worse his freshman season.

I don't think Henry runs high, never said that. He does however have long legs in terms of his body structure and a lot of area to get hit.

He doesn't have great lateral agility and that's the only play I remember all season where he was even showed good agility. That play is set up perfect to cut back inside with the defense flowing very hard over the top(especially the 1st defender). The play I was referencing was vs Arkansas(I was wrong on Twitter).

One thing I worry about with Henry are his legs, being so tall he has to cut outside of his frame(knee injuries) or just getting injured.

Henry is a freak athlete at the RB position. Players that are that big shouldn't be that quick or fast. However, we need a lot more data before he's the 2nd coming(where devy rankings have him currently). After this season we should have a good idea.
His long legs allow him to cover so much ground whether that be straight ahead or even laterally.

After the season, you will have already missed the boat. If anyone is going to buy Henry, it's now, not when he's proven himself.

His long legs allow him to cover so much ground whether that be straight ahead or even laterally.

After the season, you will have already missed the boat. If anyone is going to buy Henry, it's now, not when he's proven himself.
True, much like Dickerson, Melvin Gordon, Charles. They can avoid a lot easier than Henry, which is my concern.

I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, but he's not in my top 4 RBs like he is for some.

True, much like Dickerson, Melvin Gordon, Charles. They can avoid a lot easier than Henry, which is my concern.

I'm not saying he's a bad prospect, but he's not in my top 4 RBs like he is for some.
Yea, that's kind of where I am with Henry. He's a fun prospect with some unique qualities. He was a 5 star recruit and got some early PT at Alabama, so you know he's not devoid of talent. Whether or not he's the next elite superstar is still in doubt. There are some good tall backs in the NFL, but generally speaking I consider height a negative trait at RB because it's harder for tall players to get small and make some of the cuts that a player with shorter legs and a lower center of gravity can make. Henry is not a stiff athlete, but there are some natural consequences of being 6'3" and one of them is that you simply present a much bigger target for the defenders to hit.

The idea that now is the time to buy Henry doesn't really work for me. He's already rated as the #5 overall devy prospect by DLF after a season in which he got just 36 carries. If anything, I'd say now is the time to SELL him because he's already ranked near the very top of the devy heap by some people even though he has a small track record. I think there's more room for his value to drop than there is for it to increase. He could come out and dominate this year and become the consensus #1, but that's about the only type of scenario that would cause a big value spike whereas he could easily drop down with middling performance or even solid stats (look at Yeldon).

I think people are jumping the gun with him big time because of his 5* recruiting background and the visibility factor of playing at Bama.

Yea, that's kind of where I am with Henry. He's a fun prospect with some unique qualities. He was a 5 star recruit and got some early PT at Alabama, so you know he's not devoid of talent. Whether or not he's the next elite superstar is still in doubt. There are some good tall backs in the NFL, but generally speaking I consider height a negative trait at RB because it's harder for tall players to get small and make some of the cuts that a player with shorter legs and a lower center of gravity can make. Henry is not a stiff athlete, but there are some natural consequences of being 6'3" and one of them is that you simply present a much bigger target for the defenders to hit.

The idea that now is the time to buy Henry doesn't really work for me. He's already rated as the #5 overall devy prospect by DLF after a season in which he got just 36 carries. If anything, I'd say now is the time to SELL him because he's already ranked near the very top of the devy heap by some people even though he has a small track record. I think there's more room for his value to drop than there is for it to increase. He could come out and dominate this year and become the consensus #1, but that's about the only type of scenario that would cause a big value spike whereas he could easily drop down with middling performance or even solid stats (look at Yeldon).

I think people are jumping the gun with him big time because of his 5* recruiting background and the visibility factor of playing at Bama.
Just because he's ranked high already doesn't mean his actual asking price is as high. His ranking might not even jump by the end of the season, but his asking price probably will due to perceived value. And perceived value is what most trades are operating on, not static rankings.

People are jumping the gun because he's 6'3" 240lbs and is a freak athlete. That kind of talent is rare.

From a different thread, but felt it's more appropriate to continue it in here.

Bryant is the only name on the list that gave me any hesitation, as I liked his high school highlights. Being really ripped with decent speed doesn't make you Christine Michael though. I watched his spring game highlights a while back and wasn't totally sold on his running ability. There's a little bit of an awkward James Wilder vibe to him that worries me.
Being really ripped with decent speed? Yeah, sounds like Michael as a Sophomore. Wilder is 6'3", Bryant is 5'10". Don't see anything close there.
Wait, don't tell me. You see some Wilder because he's "duck-footed" right? https://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/greg-bryant-foot-drag.gif
Here is the video if you'd like: http://youtu.be/FnHqxJBt_Ec?t=5m26s

You can also check out all of Bryant's carries, some pass protection snaps, and pass route snaps from the Spring Game in that video.

Very quick-twitch. Excellent stop-and-start ability. Great cutting ability. He was clearly the best RB on the field to me. Tarean Folston is a solid guy with skills (run, receive, protect) but just not that talented. Like a Jonathan Williams of Arkansas.

For a 2nd-year player Bryant looked pretty good in pass protection as well. Hands look solid and they even line him up as a WR. That's some level of trust right there.

Smith, Johnson ‘1A and 1B’ at RB Says Hoke

One week into camp Michigan coach Brady Hoke puts sophomores De’Veon Smith and Drake Johnson at the top of the depth chart with Derrick Green still very much in the mix behind that.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Boasting as much depth at the running back position, albeit unproven, as there’s been in quite a while at Michigan, Brady Hoke is already starting to see some separation at the top of the depth chart just one week into fall camp.

"I'd say right now, it'd be Drake (Johnson) and De'Veon (Smith), say, 1A and 1B,” Hoke said at Michigan’s media day Sunday morning. “And then two is Derrick (Green)."

Yes, that Drake Johnson.

Appearing to be a major factor heading into the 2013 season a year ago, Johnson, a graduate of Ann Arbor Pioneer high school across the street from Michigan Stadium, had his season cut short due to a torn ACL.

Now healthy and even claiming to be stronger than before, Johnson is turning heads as a possible true, do it all type of back for first year Michigan offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier.

“Drake looks really explosive coming off the injury from last season,” Nussmeier said. “He did a great job with rehab, Schmitty and his staff and then Aaron (Wellman) in the summer; they did a great job of getting him ready to go.”

The emergence of De’Veon Smith in the first week is a bit less surprising.

After receiving snaps few and far between in the first half of last season, Smith ended the year with some more productive performances including eight carries for 41-yards in a win at Northwestern and seven carries for 57-yards in Michigan’s home loss to Ohio State.

Standing 5-foot-11, 220-pounds, one part of Smith’s game stands out above everything else.

“First thing when you talk about De’Veon you talk about how physical a player he is,” Nussmeier said. “He’s a tough, tough player and he really day in and day out puts on his hard hat and brings his lunch pale and to me that’s the thing that’s stood out the most about him.”

Michigan coach Brady Hoke offered the same sentiment when asked about the Ohio native.

"His development has been really good,” Hoke said. “He's got competition there, and the one thing I know about De'Veon is he's probably as tough a guy as I've been around.

“His identity is toughness. With the way he practices, he can get dinged up, but he's still going to go and go and go."

Behind Smith and Johnson is Derrick Green, a former No. 1 ranked running back out of high school and coming off an admittedly disappointing freshman season.

With that in mind, Green spent his time and energy improving himself physically during the off-season, now down to 220-pounds, remaining a viable candidate to receive a good chunk of carries this fall.

"A year ago, he looked more like me,” Hoke said jokingly. “He's really worked hard through the nutrition with Joel Totoro, our nutritionist, to what he's done in the weight room.

“From a physical standpoint, he's done a really nice job being a little more intelligent with what he feeds the engine, because that's a big part of it. He looks a lot different."

Firm in his belief that one featured back is the way to go since arriving at Michigan, ideally Hoke is looking for that guy to emerge with still three weeks remaining before the season opener Aug. 30 against Appalachian State.

"We'll find out,” he said. “I don't know. We've done it here before, and it's been pretty good. But I wouldn't say that's what we're looking to do today. We're looking to find the best and most consistent guy first.

“I think we're going through that. They're all getting a lot of reps. The other part is our receivers and how they're adding in to the running game to different fronts and different things that the quarterbacks may be adjusting to and checking to. That's real positive."
Derrick Green has to be one of the most overrated 5* RBs in recent memory.

Von Pearson is going to be a 24-year old Rookie. Major red flag. I wouldn't bother drafting him no matter how good you think he is or how deep your league is.

If you look at WRs selected Round 3 or higher in the last 10 drafts that are close in size to Pearson and were age 24 as rookies, you only find one long-term successful guy:

Bernard Berrian: http://pfref.com/tiny/6L8rw

The filters I set for size are height 6'1"-6'4", weight 185-195lbs.

If you change the rounds to 4th to Undrafted, you get a bunch of nobodies:
http://pfref.com/tiny/GJUZ7

You still think Clement will have a better NFL career than Gordon?

RB Michael Dyer, Louisville - If you read my CFB posts, you have heard it all before. When a player vanishes from the spotlight for a while, it's really easy to forget about him. Look at Toby Gerhart and Bryce Brown. Most people are prone to thinking in terms of what happened yesterday, so these "what have you done for me lately?" and "out of sight, out of mind" guys who flashed elite talent before stumbling through adversity often become huge value plays. I look at most devy RB rankings and see legions of mediocre prospects while a guy like Dyer with obvious NFL starter talent can't get any love. I think that's ripe for exploitation. On raw ability alone, he might be a top 2-3 RB in college football and if that sounds crazy then just remember what he did in his first two seasons at Auburn and go watch him in action. His 2013 season never really got out of the blocks due mainly to injuries, but I saw the spring game footage from this year and he looks 100% back. I expect Petrino to give him lots of chances. He's over-aged and he has character issues, but he's going to destroy the combine next year with a chiseled 5'9" 220-225 pound physique and a 40 time in the 4.4X range. He reminds me of a cross between Michael Turner and MJD.
Update:

Dyer has 26 carries on the year for 65 yards (2.5 YPC) 0 TD, 0 Receptions. Just in case someone might think it's tough opponents, he played Florida International, Syracuse, and Wake Forest.

Von Pearson is going to be a 24-year old Rookie. Major red flag. I wouldn't bother drafting him no matter how good you think he is or how deep your league is.

If you look at WRs selected Round 3 or higher in the last 10 drafts that are close in size to Pearson and were age 24 as rookies, you only find one long-term successful guy:

John Brown is 24 I believe

John Brown is 24 I believe
Yes he is. But he's not similar to Pearson in any other way.

On that note, I am working on assembling another rough set of all-class devy rankings. Here are some guys who I think are underrated:

RB Nick Chubb, Georgia - Five star prospect by all the major recruiting sites. He runs a 4.4 in the 40, has a 40+ inch vertical, and already has an NFL body even though he's just now graduating high school. He might not be the best pure runner in this high school class, but the nice thing about Chubb is that you don't need to project any physical development to see him as a first round NFL RB prospect because he already has the physical tool kit. If he does anything at all as a freshman, he'll be worth a lot more a year from now than he right this second (see: Derrick Henry). He has a good chance to become a better version of Beanie Wells. He's a little upright and a little top heavy, and I don't see a lot of great cuts in his highlight reels, but the flat out size/speed/strength combo is freaky.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State - The rising sophomore is considered the frontrunner for Carlos Hyde's starting role. He has a good frame to work with at a listed height/weight of 6' 210 and room to add more. He was the Missouri state champion in the 110m hurdles as a high schooler, so you likely don't need to worry about his speed and athletic ability. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, an important quality that will help set him apart from other big backs. He looks athletic on the field and was effective with limited touches last season. My only concern is that he appears to be a long strider and might struggle to run inside and make sharp, compact cuts without the loss of momentum. But purely as an athlete he has a lot of the right ingredients and is a prime candidate to see his stock explode after he becomes a focal point of the Buckeye offense this season.
:bowtie:

How much has Elliott's stock gone up the last few weeks? He went from a likely mid-late 1st rounder in devy drafts to a probable top 2-3 pick. After the events of the last few weeks I think he has leapfrogged Perine, Freeman, and other contenders. Looks like him and Chubb for the top 2.

EBF said:
On that note, I am working on assembling another rough set of all-class devy rankings. Here are some guys who I think are underrated:

RB Nick Chubb, Georgia - Five star prospect by all the major recruiting sites. He runs a 4.4 in the 40, has a 40+ inch vertical, and already has an NFL body even though he's just now graduating high school. He might not be the best pure runner in this high school class, but the nice thing about Chubb is that you don't need to project any physical development to see him as a first round NFL RB prospect because he already has the physical tool kit. If he does anything at all as a freshman, he'll be worth a lot more a year from now than he right this second (see: Derrick Henry). He has a good chance to become a better version of Beanie Wells. He's a little upright and a little top heavy, and I don't see a lot of great cuts in his highlight reels, but the flat out size/speed/strength combo is freaky.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, Ohio State - The rising sophomore is considered the frontrunner for Carlos Hyde's starting role. He has a good frame to work with at a listed height/weight of 6' 210 and room to add more. He was the Missouri state champion in the 110m hurdles as a high schooler, so you likely don't need to worry about his speed and athletic ability. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, an important quality that will help set him apart from other big backs. He looks athletic on the field and was effective with limited touches last season. My only concern is that he appears to be a long strider and might struggle to run inside and make sharp, compact cuts without the loss of momentum. But purely as an athlete he has a lot of the right ingredients and is a prime candidate to see his stock explode after he becomes a focal point of the Buckeye offense this season.

How much has Elliott's stock gone up the last few weeks? He went from a likely mid-late 1st rounder in devy drafts to a probable top 2-3 pick. After the events of the last few weeks I think he has leapfrogged Perine, Freeman, and other contenders. Looks like him and Chubb for the top 2.
It would be hard to imagine him being more impressive. He did have some big holes at times, but what college RB doesn't?

EBF said:

It would be hard to imagine him being more impressive. He did have some big holes at times, but what college RB doesn't?
My biggest concern with him from his 2013 clips was that a lot of his long runs were just sweeps to the edge. He never had to make a cut or make anyone miss. Just use his speed to get the corner. That didn't mean he couldn't run inside or make nice cuts, but I hadn't seen him do it much. Only in his high school highlights. This year he has shown a good ability to make efficient cuts and run compact. I think he is the best back in the 2016 class. Ahead of Tyner, Collins, Henry, Hunt, and others.

Users who are viewing this thread