What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 NBA Thread: I felt a great disturbance in the trolls, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. (1 Viewer)

Speaking of Michael Jordan, was just listening to the latest (?) Lowe Post with Elhassan and Haberstroh.  Elhassan claims that Jordan "once swindled Scottie out of, like, a decent amount of money over the course of a season by betting him $100 per night on the jumbotron races. The races were pre-recorded, and Jordan found that out one day when he got to the arena super early and saw the staff watching it.

Armed with the knowledge of who would emerge victorious, Michael bet Scottie $100 when he saw the race come up on the screen, and obviously he won. He would continue to do this for the rest of the season, and PIPPEN NEVER FIGURED IT OUT."

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/6/11/11909874/michael-jordan-scottie-pippen-jumbotron-races-bet

Has Lebron ever done this?  Doubt it.  Case closed.
Cold-blooded assassin.  That's why he's the GOAT

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN is inviting Craig Sager to join their broadcasting crew tomorrow.  Very nice gesture.  I can't  believe he has never done a finals game before.

Long Ball Larry said:
Speaking of Michael Jordan, was just listening to the latest (?) Lowe Post with Elhassan and Haberstroh.  Elhassan claims that Jordan "once swindled Scottie out of, like, a decent amount of money over the course of a season by betting him $100 per night on the jumbotron races. The races were pre-recorded, and Jordan found that out one day when he got to the arena super early and saw the staff watching it.

Armed with the knowledge of who would emerge victorious, Michael bet Scottie $100 when he saw the race come up on the screen, and obviously he won. He would continue to do this for the rest of the season, and PIPPEN NEVER FIGURED IT OUT."

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/6/11/11909874/michael-jordan-scottie-pippen-jumbotron-races-bet

Has Lebron ever done this?  Doubt it.  Case closed.
Love this story.  Unfortunately, it's not true.  I really want it to be, and it is on brand for Jordan.  

There is a true one almost as good, though.

Back when the NBA teams flew commercial... The Bulls fly into PDX and are at the baggage claim.  Jordan bets $100 that his luggage would be the first Bulls bags to come out on the baggage claim conveyor.  Nine teammates take him up on the bet.  First bags out are MJ's and he collects $900.

Jordan rigged the game - he bribed the baggage handlers to fish out his bags and put them out before anyone else's.  

Love this story.  Unfortunately, it's not true.  I really want it to be, and it is on brand for Jordan.  

Back when the NBA teams flew commercial... The Bulls fly into PDX and are at the baggage claim.  Jordan bets $100 that his luggage would be the first Bulls bags to come out on the baggage claim conveyor.  Nine teammates take him up on the bet.  First bags out are MJ's and he collects $900.

Jordan rigged the game - he bribed the baggage handlers to fish out his bags and put them out before anyone else's.  
Still the GOAT

SWC said:
i can not decide if i would like ricky the rubio on the bucks i mean on the plus side he is not michael crapper williams and no matter what negative side i come up with i just keep remembering that he is not michael crapper williams so who knows there are your words to live by for today from the old swcer keep on keepin on and take that to the good today better tomorrow bank bromigos 
Don't you like Anteaternintendo at PG?

Yes. Here's usually what happens.

Dubs usually are 2-0 or 1-1 after the first two games. Doesn't really matter.

Game 3 the other team is hyped about taking a 2-1 lead or desperate not to go down 0-3. So the opposing team plays extra hard AND they're at home. So Dubs usually lose.

Game 4 is a tough hard fought battle with the teams starting to make changes.

If the Dubs figure the team out they close out in game 5. If they lose game 4, they usually hold court at home in game 5.

Game 6 is usually when the Warriors coaching, depth, versatility, and basketball IQ comes into play. The coaches make adjustments and the players are more familiar with the opposing team and it usually ends there.

This is a lot more reasonable explanation to the flow of an NBA playoff series over your ridiculous theory that Kerr and Co. throw game 3 away.
In 43 playoff games under Kerr, here are their 10 biggest deficits:

Oklahoma City -41 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Cleveland -31 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Houston -25 points (Game 4 2014-15)

Oklahoma City -25 points (Game 4 2015-16)

New Orleans -20 points (Game 3 2014-15)

Cleveland -20 points (Game 3 2014-15)

Portland -20 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Memphis -19 points (Game 3 2014-15)

Houston -17 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Portland -17 points (Game 2 2015-16)

Out of all possible scenarios, SEVEN of their eight game 3s fall in the top 10 biggest deficits.  The only exception is game 3 vs. Houston in 2014-15 and strangely enough the very next game falls on this very list.  It makes perfect sense that they are 2-6 in away game 3s but 9-2 in away games 4&6.  That extra hustle and home crowd is that MUCH more important in game 3 :lmao:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-is-derrick-rose-on-his-way-out/

Too bad about Ulis if significant. He's just tremendous in the pick & roll game. Love the kid's game overall. Would be a great fit and upgrade at this point in San Antonio if he does slide.
Despite playing for the enemy, I loved watching Ulis play and that is lousy news for him.  But maybe he turned pro before that hip got worse.

Was wondering when Kid Sabonis was going to move up.  Didn't see him play a ton at Gonzaga, but every time I saw him I felt like I was watching a future contributor to a good NBA team.

Despite playing for the enemy, I loved watching Ulis play and that is lousy news for him.  But maybe he turned pro before that hip got worse.

Was wondering when Kid Sabonis was going to move up.  Didn't see him play a ton at Gonzaga, but every time I saw him I felt like I was watching a future contributor to a good NBA team.
I've had my eye on Sabonis for Orlando, but he didn't work out for them. I want Orlando to pick him over Skal though. 

We don't need anymore tissue soft players. 

Dammit.  Out of curiosity, how do you know it is not true?  It did seem a little weird that neither Lowe nor Haberstroh knew anything about it.

Dammit.  Out of curiosity, how do you know it is not true?  It did seem a little weird that neither Lowe nor Haberstroh knew anything about it.
Jordan went and found out who the winner's were every night so he could get $100 off of Scottie?  Seems like a lot of work for little payoff.

Jordan went and found out who the winner's were every night so he could get $100 off of Scottie?  Seems like a lot of work for little payoff.
so does coming up with fictitious trade scenarios.

I guess the story is supposedly that Jordan would just ask the stadium crew because he was always there early and was always there when they were setting up. :shrug:

The APBR (Association for Professional Basketball Research, the basketball equivalent of SABR) couldn't confirm the story.  May have happened once, but no one who worked with the Bulls or at United Center at the time has come forward and said Jordan had this long string of rigged bet wins over Pippen.

ETA: the "source" that seems to have triggered the legend was Bob Greene's book about the Bulls title teams.  During the timeout when the chip race ran on the scoreboard, the team always tuned Phil Jackson out and watched the race, some more overtly than others.  Jordan and Perdue would point and cheer.  Pippen and Grant would pretend to not notice the race was on, but always were eyes up for the bell lap.

ETA2:. Pippen seemed to be the wrong victim.  That type of **** move is something Jordan would have done to a bench player or Grant, but not Pippen.

In 43 playoff games under Kerr, here are their 10 biggest deficits:

Oklahoma City -41 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Cleveland -31 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Houston -25 points (Game 4 2014-15)

Oklahoma City -25 points (Game 4 2015-16)

New Orleans -20 points (Game 3 2014-15)

Cleveland -20 points (Game 3 2014-15)

Portland -20 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Memphis -19 points (Game 3 2014-15)

Houston -17 points (Game 3 2015-16)

Portland -17 points (Game 2 2015-16)

Out of all possible scenarios, SEVEN of their eight game 3s fall in the top 10 biggest deficits.  The only exception is game 3 vs. Houston in 2014-15 and strangely enough the very next game falls on this very list.  It makes perfect sense that they are 2-6 in away game 3s but 9-2 in away games 4&6.  That extra hustle and home crowd is that MUCH more important in game 3 :lmao:
It is. If you don't believe in reason and logic, then maybe you'll believe a former NBA coach, because JVG discusses it in the latest Lowe podcast.

But hey if you want to believe Kerr is purposely tanking game 3s, more power to you. I'm just trying save you the embarrassment from revealing your theory to people you actually know in real life.

Don't you like Anteaternintendo at PG?
i do like him a lot actually i just really do not like michael crapper williams i guess that is what i was getting at so hey just to clear it up when you think to yourself michael crapper williams the next thing you should think is man the old swcer does not like that brohan take that to the bank 

I'd heard that Jordan would work out at the United Center the night before games, and the stadium crew would dry-run the dot game.

Two problems with this: a) Pippen would probably find it odd that Jordan always wanted to pick, or Jordan would just take some L's if they took turns picking first, and Pippen inadvertantly took Jordan's winner :-)jordanmeme:), and b) Pippen doesn't seem like a complete and utter dummy, which means he'd probably figure out pretty quickly that Jordan had some inside info.

:shrug:  

It is. If you don't believe in reason and logic, then maybe you'll believe a former NBA coach, because JVG discusses it in the latest Lowe podcast.

But hey if you want to believe Kerr is purposely tanking game 3s, more power to you. I'm just trying save you the embarrassment from revealing your theory to people you actually know in real life.
lol. I make people I know in real life good money.  I know there is one poster here in particular who knows I know very well what I am talking about, but they won't say anything.  That's a big reason why I don't care much to make random strangers good money anymore.

:lmao:  Jeff Van Gundy.  Yeah, he's an expert on how to maximize postseason success.  I will make sure to take him seriously considering all of the rings he won in his coaching career.

People make plays on patterns all the time.  

The discussion here is whether Kerr and the Warriors are so full of themselves that they intentionally take those games off (even before they ever won their first title together which makes this laughable) while risking injury in the process, versus some combination of them just sucking and/or their opponent going home where naturally most teams play better, etc.  

Bogut has a sprained knee.  Out 6-8 weeks.  So he will miss the rest of the Finals, but be fine for the start of next season.
Frantic and sweat-riddled Lebron troll spends morning talking himself into argument about how irreplaceable Bogut really is 

This came in 2nd today. Might roll with it tomorrow. 

The discussion here is whether Kerr and the Warriors are so full of themselves that they intentionally take those games off (even before they ever won their first title together which makes this laughable) while risking injury in the process, versus some combination of them just sucking and/or their opponent going home where naturally most teams play better, etc.  
I don't say it because I think the Warriors are that full of themselves.  I say it because I don't think there is a better team nor coach who understands how important proper rest is for their team.  They invest a ton of money and time in monitoring their player's health and vitals.  Splitting games 3&4 for a team who has home court advantage is a huge accomplishment especially up 2-0.  Why would they over exert themselves in game 3?  Look at how physically exhausted Cleveland was at the end of game 4 and ultimately cost them the game.

if you are the Cavs, how do you game plan the loss of Bogut?  Does LBJ just try to utterly dominate the paint and go for 20 rebounds per night?

if you are the Cavs, how do you game plan the loss of Bogut?  Does LBJ just try to utterly dominate the paint and go for 20 rebounds per night?
Green is more important than Bogut to guarding the paint from James.  The small lineup of GS is the most difficult matchup for Cleveland. But Bogut is someone who can provide valuable minutes like in game 2 and that depth is very key to their success.   

I would be more worried if it gets to game 7 missing Green because he gets suspended than Bogut out because of injury.

Also worth considering is their style of play.  If you're playing fast and shooting a lot of threes that don't go in, things can go south in a hurry.  

Kerr is one of the few who played for both Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich.  One thing those two had in common when coaching in the postseason was a reluctance to make big strategic changes while way behind.  They would rather eat the big loss and make adjustments afterwards, rather than install a change during a loss and let their opponent study the adjustment between games.  

So maybe these Game 3 blowout losses aren't orchestrated ahead of time, but instead are an in-game choice to lose by 15-16 and hold a big card for the next trick instead of playing it so they could only lose by 5-6.  Kerr famously played the starting lineup change for Game 4 extra close to the vest, in the postgame drawing attention to the lies he told to protect his team's plans, and to credit the video coordinator who suggested starting Iggy.

Where this theory breaks down is how GSW played Game 3 of the Finals last year.  They made a couple of big changes at halftime, got Curry out of a shooting slump, and while they still lost it was clear they put in effort and thought to compete in the second half.  There are a couple of vocal Warriors fans here who claim they knew the Finals were in the bag after seeing that Game 3 second half, an odd occurrence for a game the coaching staff wasn't taking seriously.

And there's the pesky part about the ridiculous premise of a team not trying hard in any playoff game of any winnable playoff series.  There's plenty of rest between games compared to the regular season and you aren't playing four different opponents in a week so the game prep isn't as complex.  

And BTW, in order to help us figure out how seriously to take your posts, PM shuke how many rings you've won in your coaching career, including years and level of play.  shuke will confirm the claimed rings, compile the responses, and post a Google Doc, linking to it in this thread.

Much more convenient to have all that info in one location instead of having to check user signatures and profiles for pertinent info.

1) tjnc09 is a smart gambler. I think I'm fairly keen at being able to tell who can approach lines analytically and find some value (or, pull it back if they can't find it), and who's just throwing darts, and I think tjnc09 is in the former category. FWIW.

2) The game 3 thing is ####### weird. If it's a fluke, it's certainly a very improbable fluke.

3) Also agree that the loss of Bogut is not monumental at this stage. Think we see a lot of Green at C tomorrow, with a pu-pu platter of Ezeli and Varejao and He Who Cannot Be Named in the middle. But I think it's mostly gonna be Green with Cameos from the other guys. I think GS covers tomorrow but I am dumb. It was interesting that Haralabob tweeted that public money influences NBA Finals lines, I thought it was only the SB, the NCAA title game, and maybe some big boxing matches (Mayweather/Pacquiao was def. driven by public money). Some books are already dropping CLE to -2. The lookahead line for a G7 is GS -5.5. 

What's the overall record playoff record in game 3 for a higher seeded team entering game 3 no worse than 1-1?

My guess is the higher seeds still have a losing record. 

No idea, but i would bet good money that game 3 is the most likely game the higher seed loses by a pretty big margin. Of course it's more likely because the series may never get to 5 or 6 (or 7) but I bet there are a lot more 2-2 and 3-1 where a loss came in game 3 than any other scenario. 

What's the overall record playoff record in game 3 for a higher seeded team entering game 3 no worse than 1-1?

My guess is the higher seeds still have a losing record. 

In NBA Playoffs history, teams that  win the first two of a best-of-7 at home go on to win the series about 95% of the time, but only win Game 3 about 42% of the time.  And those Game 3 road wins are heavily weighted towards the early rounds.  In NBA Finals history, a team up 2-0 playing on the road in Game 3 is only 10-18.  25-3 to eventually win the Finals, but history says they play Game 3 like a lottery team.

source: whowins.com

1) tjnc09 is a smart gambler. I think I'm fairly keen at being able to tell who can approach lines analytically and find some value (or, pull it back if they can't find it), and who's just throwing darts, and I think tjnc09 is in the former category. FWIW.

2) The game 3 thing is ####### weird. If it's a fluke, it's certainly a very improbable fluke.

3) Also agree that the loss of Bogut is not monumental at this stage. Think we see a lot of Green at C tomorrow, with a pu-pu platter of Ezeli and Varejao and He Who Cannot Be Named in the middle. But I think it's mostly gonna be Green with Cameos from the other guys. I think GS covers tomorrow but I am dumb. It was interesting that Haralabob tweeted that public money influences NBA Finals lines, I thought it was only the SB, the NCAA title game, and maybe some big boxing matches (Mayweather/Pacquiao was def. driven by public money). Some books are already dropping CLE to -2. The lookahead line for a G7 is GS -5.5. 
1) I'm sure he is what you say he is.  However, that doesn't entitle him to be an ####### to everyone he encounters on this board, or to speak to everyone else as if they have never capped a game before, or to post here as if no one here ever tells a joke.  Being a shrewd capper doesn't exempt you from basic human decency.  IMO most of the resistance to tjnc09's posts isn't about his knowledge, but his relentless need to cut down others as if knowledge is a zero-sum game.  

2) Have you considered the possibility of SSS?

3) Agree with you doubting Bogut's absence will mean anything tomorrow night.  Only way it comes into play is if there's foul trouble for Green tomorrow night, and the whole Finals has pretty much been prison rules.  Doubt the refs suddenly find their whistles on the flight to Cleveland.

1) I'm sure he is what you say he is.  However, that doesn't entitle him to be an ####### to everyone he encounters on this board, or to speak to everyone else as if they have never capped a game before, or to post here as if no one here ever tells a joke.  Being a shrewd capper doesn't exempt you from basic human decency.  IMO most of the resistance to tjnc09's posts isn't about his knowledge, but his relentless need to cut down others as if knowledge is a zero-sum game.  

2) Have you considered the possibility of SSS?

3) Agree with you doubting Bogut's absence will mean anything tomorrow night.  Only way it comes into play is if there's foul trouble for Green tomorrow night, and the whole Finals has pretty much been prison rules.  Doubt the refs suddenly find their whistles on the flight to Cleveland.
SSS is certainly possible, if it's a fluky thing, it's a helluva fluky thing. Could also be a tradition where Luke Walton makes everyone smoke dust during the flight after G2. Can't rule anything out.

SSS is certainly possible, if it's a fluky thing, it's a helluva fluky thing. Could also be a tradition where Luke Walton makes everyone smoke dust during the flight after G2. Can't rule anything out.
Kerr has coached eight playoff series in his career and had HCA in every single one of them.  So not only is the sample size small, it's also skewed.  
Taking the Game 3s from this season:

@HOU: one-point loss, only game HOU won in series.  History tells us if the underdog goes down 4-1, Game 3 in the one the dog is most likely to have won.  Curry didn't play, yet there's very little evidence from box score suggesting GSW wasn't trying to win.  If they were tanking, why did Klay play 40 minutes and Green play 37?

@POR: 12-point loss, only game POR win in series.  So again we're at the spot where the dog makes his last stand.  Maybe Kerr wasn't trying to win.  Or maybe Curry not playing was a factor, something GSW could absorb at home but not on the road.  

@OKC: 28-point loss, went into game 3 tied 1-1 in series that went 7.  Game 4 was also an OKC blowout.  So the explanation for getting blown out in Game 3 is they weren't trying, even though they had lost HCA after dropping Game 1 and also got blown out in Game 4?  OKC was a lousy matchup with one of the few NBA home crowds who scream like college fans.

@CLE: 30-point loss, went into series up 2-0, currently 3-2.  Now this one sure seems weird.  Games 1 and 2 weren't competitive, GSW was healthy, CLE was missing Love.  But GSW's minutes distribution wasn't that much different from Game 2, a GSW blowout win.  Curry actually played quite a bit more in Game 3 than Game 2, a curious decision if the team didn't care.  Maybe CLE starting Jefferson caught GSW off-guard. 

Just not seeing an institutional-level decision to not try in Game 3, despite the 0-4 record.

Needs to improve his handle, vision, and basketball IQ as well. 

and court awareness  

But he's close. 
my hope is that this GS team forces others to follow. not for the barrage of 3s but for the "we have basketball players that are athletic, not freak athletes that we can teach to play basketball".

drafting guys on potential is great but when they have 1/2 of 1 skill and teams hope they can teach the guy the rest on the fly...  

#mylawnismylawn

Users who are viewing this thread