What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 DYNASTY ROOKIE DRAFT (Projections) (1 Viewer)

Casting Couch

Footballguy
1. Laquan Treadwell - WR - Mississippi

2. Ezekiel Elliot - RB - Ohio State

3. Derrick Henry - RB - Alabama

4. John Doctson - WR - TCU

5. Tyler Boyd - WR - Pittsburgh

6. Jared Goff - QB - CAL

7. Corey Davis - WR - Western Michigan

8. Davontae Booker - RB - Utah

9. Michael Thomas - WR - Ohio State

10. Corey Coleman - WR - Baylor

11.De'Runnya Wilson - WR - Mississippi State

12. Paxton Lynch - QB - Memphis

First thing that sticks out to me - I don't see Goff going that high (top 6 pick) in a start 1 QB league

1. Laquan Treadwell - WR - Mississippi

2. Ezekiel Elliot - RB - Ohio State

3. Derrick Henry - RB - Alabama

4. John Doctson - WR - TCU

5. Tyler Boyd - WR - Pittsburgh

6. Jared Goff - QB - CAL

7. Corey Davis - WR - Western Michigan

8. Davontae Booker - RB - Utah

9. Michael Thomas - WR - Ohio State

10. Corey Coleman - WR - Baylor

11.De'Runnya Wilson - WR - Mississippi State

12. Paxton Lynch - QB - Memphis
Treadwell over Elliott?

I like Elliott, he's no1 on my board af the moment, but thats mostly due to my WR situation, if it was thinner id have it more of a 1a/b

Also, i like coleman, wouldnt shock me if he moved up boards the closer we get to actual draft season

The fact there are so few 3 down RB's and so many solid WR's makes Elliott even more valuable IMO. He's a great blocker and will instantly be an every down back. He's the clear #1 pick in this class.

2016 a good draft? Early or should those with multiple 2016 be trying for 17's
I wouldn't put any premium on it. '17 has a couple of potentially big, big names, but after that it's way to early to tell. Heck it's too early for this for the '16 draft since we know very few underclassmen coming out so far.

2016 is weak overall. decent players but very few "sure" things. Nice depth with some solid lottery tickets though, then again every draft is like that. 2017 looks much better as far as elite talent, especially at RB.

My take:

1. Ezekiel Elliott

2. Laquon Treadwell

3. Corey Coleman

4. Josh Doctson

5. Derrick Henry

6. Michael Thomas

7. Leonte Carroo

8. Pharoh Cooper

9. Tyler Boyd

10. Devontae Booker

11. Jared Goff

12. Aaron Burbridge

2016 means the start of watching tape for me, have a list of around 25 right now, but no rankings. This is a good starting point for anyone looking for names.

2016 is weak overall. decent players but very few "sure" things. Nice depth with some solid lottery tickets though, then again every draft is like that. 2017 looks much better as far as elite talent, especially at RB.
Agreed. This is the time to start loading up cheaply on 2017 picks. That should be a much better draft both talent and depth wise

I don't like to firm up any opinions until after the combine and pro days. Actual landing spots can make a difference if I have two players similarly ranked.

Agreed. This is the time to start loading up cheaply on 2017 picks. That should be a much better draft both talent and depth wise
...and the advice is seemingly always next year will be better than this year...Not sure if anything is weaker than normal, thinking more is just unknown... the so-called late risers have not been identified, the workout/combine darlings glorified, and surprise draftees not justified. by our May drafts, this will shake out like most seasons do.

I like this class. Decent 1st round with good top end. Zeke, Treadwell, Coleman are pretty sure things for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not want to have to use 2 1st round picks in this draft. I would definitely try and move one for a 2017 pick.

I like this class. Decent 1st round with good too end. Zeke, Treadwell, Coleman are pretty sure things for me.
I'd add Doctson to that tier as well. Not a terrible top tier, just not super stud-filled like '14 and '15. Depth isn't great. However, the IDP side of things actually looks pretty damn good this year.

Sitting at 1,3,5,6,14 this year overall.

Two firsts next year, potential top six.

Contending team. Been in the semi's 4 of past 5 years. I'm thinking of trying to send 14 and my 2nd next year (late) for a 2017 target non playoff team.

I was about to ask this question. I have the 1.01 in one of my leagues and then a couple more 1sts and a few 2nds. Would I or anyone in this spot be better off using the 1.01 - through 1.04 then trading off the rest for 2017 picks or other young players?

Looks like a weak class on paper.

Anxiously awaiting the late-risers and combine/all-star game surprises though.

I was about to ask this question. I have the 1.01 in one of my leagues and then a couple more 1sts and a few 2nds. Would I or anyone in this spot be better off using the 1.01 - through 1.04 then trading off the rest for 2017 picks or other young players?
Too early to tell. If you get what ends up being a top-3 pick, probably yes. 2017 is more top-heavy looking with Fournette, Cook, and Chubb leading the list. But there's a lot yet to play out for 2016 in who declares, who returns, and how film analysis goes. Every December people think "next" year looks better, but it usually doesn't play out that way.

Too early to tell. If you get what ends up being a top-3 pick, probably yes. 2017 is more top-heavy looking with Fournette, Cook, and Chubb leading the list. But there's a lot yet to play out for 2016 in who declares, who returns, and how film analysis goes. Every December people think "next" year looks better, but it usually doesn't play out that way.
I'm not one to think that every year looks better. Just that 2017 looks better. The 3 RBs mentioned could each be better than Elliot. That right there makes it better because I think Elliot is the 1.1 clear cut favorite right now

I have 1.1 and 1.3. Probably taking Treadwell at 1.01 and Zeke or Henry at 1.03. Of course, it's early. I also have 1.08 and 1.10. Could go Zeke and Henry at 1.01 and 1.03 and WR's at 1.08 and 1.10. The team is an orphan. And a mess.

I'm not one to think that every year looks better. Just that 2017 looks better. The 3 RBs mentioned could each be better than Elliot. That right there makes it better because I think Elliot is the 1.1 clear cut favorite right now
Could. May not. That's why I said potentially top-heavy and encouraged chasing early 1's lottery tickets, because even if all those guys look stronger than Elliot, there's not much else now to indicate the rest is any "better" or deeper. If a bunch of guys don't declare this year perhaps that will sway me, but that's why I said it's too early. Plenty of time to find out, we'll know a lot more for sure come late April.

Personally Elliot checks of all the boxes for me. He doesn't quite have the elite physical running that Gurley possesses (although it's much closer than most will admit), but his all-around game more than makes up for it. Believe me I lusted after Gurley and overpaid heavily to get him last year, but Elliott is "safer" to me. He fits any offense, he's an instant 3-down back, and he's never coming off the field. I have 1.01, 1.01, and 1.02 in my leagues this year and I will be moving up to 1.01 in that third one to get Elliott.

I always find it curious when people ask this question or try to answer it in December and January. People did this in '14 in anticipation for the '15 draft and the Gurley etc class, turned out that '14 was top to bottom a super strong class - it sure looks better than '15 right now.

Theres a lot to like in this class and the next. In a vacuum I like Fournette and Chubb over Elliot but I don't play in a vacuum. If I know I can get Elliot or Treadwell or whomever I'm targeting here I take them. I don't like the idea of taking the risk that come next year one decides to stay in school and the other suffers a horrible injury.

And I know its unlikely but both could end up on routes that don't lead to the draft. The only way I would see doing this is if my roster was already loaded and I could trade out at a good discount.

I would prefer to take the man that's there now and when the time comes If I so desire move the guy I got this year for the next man up even if it costs a bit of a premium.

Theres a lot to like in this class and the next. In a vacuum I like Fournette and Chubb over Elliot but I don't play in a vacuum. If I know I can get Elliot or Treadwell or whomever I'm targeting here I take them. I don't like the idea of taking the risk that come next year one decides to stay in school and the other suffers a horrible injury.

And I know its unlikely but both could end up on routes that don't lead to the draft. The only way I would see doing this is if my roster was already loaded and I could trade out at a good discount.

I would prefer to take the man that's there now and when the time comes If I so desire move the guy I got this year for the next man up even if it costs a bit of a premium.
I agree with this. I think it's more about if you can't get Elliot or Treadwell is it better to trade the pick? For example if you have the 1.09 pick this year, I think I would trade it for a top 5 first rounder next year.

Gandalf said:
imjackdupp said:

I agree with this. I think it's more about if you can't get Elliot or Treadwell is it better to trade the pick? For example if you have the 1.09 pick this year, I think I would trade it for a top 5 first rounder next year.
Agreed, but easier said than done.

I always wonder how people know where teams are going to draft in a rookie draft 2 years away. I mean I've seen teams that go 6-7 in the regular season sneak into the playoffs and win the championship game. I've seen teams that scored the least amount of points in the league get third place. The range of outcomes is to big to be able to accurately predict where a team is going to be picking in two year.

I always wonder how people know where teams are going to draft in a rookie draft 2 years away. I mean I've seen teams that go 6-7 in the regular season sneak into the playoffs and win the championship game. I've seen teams that scored the least amount of points in the league get third place. The range of outcomes is to big to be able to accurately predict where a team is going to be picking in two year.
I look for teams that are multi year trainwrecks. And sometimes I'm wrong but often it seems to pay off. Also there are some owners who tend to be less competitive bs others, so focus on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I value the picks at mid point of the round in future years for the reason you list. Most of my leagues are close enough in skill level where the "luck" of the year swings things greatly.

Gandalf said:
imjackdupp said:

If it was a lead-pipe lock top 3, yes. That can be very tough to predict, so if a team is "looking bottom five" there's enough uncertainty for me to just make the pick. I have seen (and done) too many "he will suck" teams end up making playoffs while other teams suffer injuries and rough luck/schedules and sink. I made one trade this year with the guy that started 1-5 for his 2016 pick, he rattled off 6 straight wins, made the playoffs at 7-6, and ran the table. I got the #12 pick where it looked very solid for me to have a top 3. He believed in his roster, I didn't, he was right.

Gandalf said:
imjackdupp said:

If it was a lead-pipe lock top 3, yes. That can be very tough to predict, so if a team is "looking bottom five" there's enough uncertainty for me to just make the pick. I have seen (and done) too many "he will suck" teams end up making playoffs while other teams suffer injuries and rough luck/schedules and sink. I made one trade this year with the guy that started 1-5 for his 2016 pick, he rattled off 6 straight wins, made the playoffs at 7-6, and ran the table. I got the #12 pick where it looked very solid for me to have a top 3. He believed in his roster, I didn't, he was right.
Yep. Sometimes that happens. And sometimes the 1-5 team rattles of 6 straight losses. That was an intelligent risk that didn't pay off but most of the time would have.

Yeah I don't regret the move, but rather the point was that it's not quite that simple to predict. What by all indications couldda/shouldda/looked like didn't turn out that way. And it's even harder to do a full year beforehand, with free agency/waivers, trades, and a draft in between. I'm not railing against it, I have made moves in two leagues trading for future picks that have netted me 1.01 in one league and 1.01 and 1.02 in another, so it's definitely possible, but again both of those I would categorize were teams there were lead-pipe locks to finish bad. If you got one of those on the hook go for it for sure. Chubb/Fournette/Cook/Perine should be a top-heavy draft for sure. But you could be trading 1.09 for what turns out to be a no better pick in a draft we don't have any indication will be any better.

I think Henry follows the path of other Bama RBs. 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He looked good against Sparty. I don't trust ALA running backs. I like Treadwell. RBs are just not bellcows anymore. GMs don't want to pay them big bucks. Corey Davis is great but he has already said he's returning for his senior year. MACtion is great football.

Yeah I don't regret the move, but rather the point was that it's not quite that simple to predict. What by all indications couldda/shouldda/looked like didn't turn out that way. And it's even harder to do a full year beforehand, with free agency/waivers, trades, and a draft in between. I'm not railing against it, I have made moves in two leagues trading for future picks that have netted me 1.01 in one league and 1.01 and 1.02 in another, so it's definitely possible, but again both of those I would categorize were teams there were lead-pipe locks to finish bad. If you got one of those on the hook go for it for sure. Chubb/Fournette/Cook/Perine should be a top-heavy draft for sure. But you could be trading 1.09 for what turns out to be a no better pick in a draft we don't have any indication will be any better.
All true. I would only trade this year's mid to late round pick for what I would believe would be very likely (say 75% by my guess) to be a top 3 pick. If I was less certain (50/50 chance) then I would keep this year's pick.

I look for teams that are multi year trainwrecks. And sometimes I'm wrong but often it seems to pay off. Also there are some owners who tend to be less competitive bs others, so focus on them.
Same - I traded for 4 picks last year and targeted non playoff teams - went 4/4 usually hit 75% on projections of picks.

Glad to have the 1.02 pick this year. Won't have to stress about who to take and just take whomever's left between Elliot and Treadwell

Users who are viewing this thread