What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kawhi betrayal is funny. Like really made me laugh. We don't know the whole story. 

Him not going to the USA mini camp could be anything. You are a Spurs fan and it sucks. I get it, I felt the same way about Grant Hill leaving. 

Unless Kawhi falls flat on his face or refuses to play for the Raptors no one will care or remember this by the end of next year. 

The Raptors didn't make a mistake, even if Derozan wins the MVP and Kawhi pouts and leaves. Derozan was never going to kick it to another level in Toronto. That group of players on that team ran its course. 

Knocking a guy for who he is, is childish. Who cares if Kawhi doesn't talk, that is him, he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve and he shouldn't have to try to be someone he isn't. You were probably one of those fans that said " I really love the way Kawhi just goes out there and does his job and doesn't run his mouth like every other star" Especially when he was winning the finals MVP. 
I think Durants move shows that people simply will not forget why and how players leave teams these days.  While Durant is vilified by some for different reasons, I don't see anyone simply forgetting one of the best players in the league forcing his way off a team with a year left on his contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Durants move shows that people simply will not forget why and how players leave teams these days.  While Durant is vilified by some for different reasons, I don't see anyone simply forgetting one of the best players in the league forcing his way off a team with a year left on his contract.
Kawhi’s situation is a lot more analogous with Kyrie’s than Durant’s IMO. I don’t see Kyrie getting beat up for forcing himself out of a better situation than what Kawhi just left.

Yeah but people love Vince Carter now so :shrug:

Kawhi’s situation is a lot more analogous with Kyrie’s than Durant’s IMO. I don’t see Kyrie getting beat up for forcing himself out of a better situation than what Kawhi just left.
In some ways, yes, but the reasons behind wanting to move are different.  The reasons why something happens, to me, is why someone's decision should be judged.  Until we really hear why Kawhi forced this, I'm not sure we can say it will be forgotten or forgiven.

Yeah but people love Vince Carter now so :shrug:
I can't say I know enough of the details to apply his situation to the current players.  The league has changed.  My recollection is that when injuries started slowing down, his relationship with the team and fans went sour.  I don't remember who was at fault.

The Durant/McCollum thing is why I don't think Durant willingly leaves the Warriors.  It's two years and two finals MVP later and people are still talking about his decision.  Get over it already. People are going to talk crap about him no matter what he does so why ever give them fuel by going somewhere else and losing (like the Knicks rumors).  If I were him, I would stay on the Warriors counting rings and pis$ing as many people off as possible.
I had the exact opposite reaction. The stuff clearly bothers him, otherwise he wouldn't be mad online about it all the time. As someone pointed out on twitter yesterday, he never claps back when people criticize his play. Why not?  I suspect because he's supremely confident in his talent and his performance, he probably knows he's at worst the second-best basketball player in the world and one of the greatest of all time. He clearly doesn't have the same confidence in his legacy.

And while it's true that some people will always talk crap about him, he could obviously change the narrative completely if he left and found success elsewhere, especially if it's in a place that wasn't used to it.  It certainly worked for LeBron.  Imagine telling someone five years ago that LeBron was gonna end up on the Lakers and he'd still be adored by pretty much every NBA fan outside of Boston and the Bay area.

I had the exact opposite reaction. The stuff clearly bothers him, otherwise he wouldn't be mad online about it all the time. As someone pointed out on twitter yesterday, he never claps back when people criticize his play. Why not?  I suspect because he's supremely confident in his talent and his performance, he probably knows he's at worst the second-best basketball player in the world and one of the greatest of all time. He clearly doesn't have the same confidence in his legacy.

And while it's true that some people will always talk crap about him, he could obviously change the narrative completely if he left and found success elsewhere, especially if it's in a place that wasn't used to it.  It certainly worked for LeBron.  Imagine telling someone five years ago that LeBron was gonna end up on the Lakers and he'd still be adored by pretty much every NBA fan outside of Boston and the Bay area.
I'm not sure how accurate this is.

I love the warriros and we are going to win it all again this year but...

KD: So,I would get into a gang fight, lose, plot on my brother for 2 months in our home and then go get the gang we lost to and beat him up? U think that low of me CJ?

Uhhhhhh you actually did do that lol.

Im rooting for the spurs and derozan. Toronto finally finds a guy who decides to stay and who wants to essentially rebrand the franchise to attract players, who feels like Toronto is home, and they trade him for a potential rental. 
It's how i felt about IT4.

This all is supposed to be "sport" not "winning". I'll try not to bore with my Boomer cred, but i grew up with more saints & angels then the Catholic Church ever provided - Ali, Jim Brown, Bill Russell and the glorious Willie Mays who, while not as 'difficult' as the other three, was silently bothered that the undeserving got to watch his daily miracles. It was why i grew up troubled more by race than war - these guys' anger & purpose & purity were teaching me soooo much more than books.

I guess the difference is propriety. I could go to Red Sox games for 80 cents - 15 each way for the subway, 50 for a bleacher seat (my mother would pack me a bag of cuke sammiches and i'd pitch peanut bags for the stand owner - who'd been a train porter for Ruth, Cobb & Rogers Hornsby before retiring to this - in exchange for a bag of my own). My Uncle Jimmy took me to see the Auerbach Celtics every home Sunday, reg season or playoffs, getting the same seats (with the cigar-smoking Gallery Gods) for the same price as a walk-in every time.

Maybe because some folks spend 25K/yr to be a football fan, they feel a greater ownership of it than i did but - as i was reminded in this wk's wonderful PBS American Masters on Ted Williams, as a hurt 40yo Splendid Splinter tore up what was to be his final contract for 125K and said he'd only play for 90K cuz he sucked the past season - they created a monster by doing so. I was a thorn in the side of a number of radio sports talk show hosts in the 90s as a part of the brief, unsuccessful movement for a Fan's Union when contracts & ticket prices spun out of control and it bothers me terribly that humble homes cant send their kids to games anymore and that merch is as important as gameplay.

And it all has resulted in athletes feeling no obligation to, never mind play, even show up for immense pay (by the public) and owners spitting on effort and commitment in pursuit of greater glory. There is no greater glory in sport than watching the blood, sweat and teeth Isaiah Thomas literally left on the floor to be we Celtics fans' 5'7 David v Goliaths and few cultural developments more heartbreaking than how Traitor Danny rewarded him or more disgusting than seeing the currency of DeRozan's commitment discarded to rent another team's Judas. nufced

In some ways, yes, but the reasons behind wanting to move are different.  The reasons why something happens, to me, is why someone's decision should be judged.  Until we really hear why Kawhi forced this, I'm not sure we can say it will be forgotten or forgiven.
We've heard many reasons for Kawhi wanting out, all reported through the media. I am almost 100% sure we'll never hear Kawhi talk about it openly himself.

Here's at least a partial list, off the top of my head; I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

• Spurs docs misdiagnosed his injury
  • Feelings were hurt after he was confronted by his teammates who, with playoffs approaching, wanted to know if he would be returning or not
  • Tony Parker saying his injury was worse than Kawhi's
  • Pop's practices are too hard
  • Wanted to go home and play in LA to be closer to family
  • Wants to play for a team that has "fun"
  • Felt as though he wasn't getting the star treatment the way some of his peers were at the all star game
  • Endorsement opportunities as a Spur are too limited
So, it's possible that all of these things are true. Some of them don't make much sense to me given what I thought I knew about Kawhi's personality, and others felt like post hoc sort of justification for the trade demand, especially the way they kept cropping up one after another as things developed. Even taken as a whole none of it seems like something that would completely burn the bridge to the point that he would be hiding away and avoiding contact with the team and publicly demanding a trade (to a specific team) without at least attempting to resolve things.

Since it doesn't really add up when you take it all at face value, there are probably hidden reasons. The most popular working theory is that Kawhi's uncle and agent have been steering the ship and working to fracture the relationship between Kawhi and the Spurs ever since they took over his management from his previous agent in 2016. They're trying to create an agency from scratch and see Kawhi as their meal ticket, and need that major market endorsement money if they want to cash in. I've also heard from someone in the know that there may have been an incident back near the beginning of this saga where someone in Spurs management (not Pop) said something to or about Kawhi that offended him, and that his group used this incident to drive a wedge between him and the organization. Pop and RC Buford absolutely did not want to trade him, they were said to feel like they were trading away a son, and RC was reportedly so tormented by the direction things were going in last season that he wasn't able to sleep. I think they really care about him and only wanted the best for him, but whatever problems existed between them and his uncle made it impossible to heal the relationship.

I still can't help but have some affection for Kawhi as a person; my personal feeling is that he has kind of been manipulated by his uncle and his agent. I can buy that he cares more about his family than his financial success and would trust his uncle to guide him, and that he would take a family member's side in any dispute with the team. But it's not fair to assume he isn't capable of making his own decisions. He's a grown man so he's got to own all of this. I will continue to laugh if his team's master plan continues to backfire, but I honestly hope he will excel on the court in Toronto and wherever he goes after that. He's an amazing player, way better than what the Spurs got in return; hopefully his head is on straight and he doesn't end up a cautionary tale.

I can't say I know enough of the details to apply his situation to the current players.  The league has changed.  My recollection is that when injuries started slowing down, his relationship with the team and fans went sour.  I don't remember who was at fault.
Everyone in Canada hated Vince for years and years after he left Toronto.  Most of the raptor fans I talk to now still dislike him.

We've heard many reasons for Kawhi wanting out, all reported through the media. I am almost 100% sure we'll never hear Kawhi talk about it openly himself.

Here's at least a partial list, off the top of my head; I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

• Spurs docs misdiagnosed his injury
  • Feelings were hurt after he was confronted by his teammates who, with playoffs approaching, wanted to know if he would be returning or not
  • Tony Parker saying his injury was worse than Kawhi's
  • Pop's practices are too hard
  • Wanted to go home and play in LA to be closer to family
  • Wants to play for a team that has "fun"
  • Felt as though he wasn't getting the star treatment the way some of his peers were at the all star game
  • Endorsement opportunities as a Spur are too limited
So, it's possible that all of these things are true. Some of them don't make much sense to me given what I thought I knew about Kawhi's personality, and others felt like post hoc sort of justification for the trade demand, especially the way they kept cropping up one after another as things developed. Even taken as a whole none of it seems like something that would completely burn the bridge to the point that he would be hiding away and avoiding contact with the team and publicly demanding a trade (to a specific team) without at least attempting to resolve things.

Since it doesn't really add up when you take it all at face value, there are probably hidden reasons. The most popular working theory is that Kawhi's uncle and agent have been steering the ship and working to fracture the relationship between Kawhi and the Spurs ever since they took over his management from his previous agent in 2016. They're trying to create an agency from scratch and see Kawhi as their meal ticket, and need that major market endorsement money if they want to cash in. I've also heard from someone in the know that there may have been an incident back near the beginning of this saga where someone in Spurs management (not Pop) said something to or about Kawhi that offended him, and that his group used this incident to drive a wedge between him and the organization. Pop and RC Buford absolutely did not want to trade him, they were said to feel like they were trading away a son, and RC was reportedly so tormented by the direction things were going in last season that he wasn't able to sleep. I think they really care about him and only wanted the best for him, but whatever problems existed between them and his uncle made it impossible to heal the relationship.

I still can't help but have some affection for Kawhi as a person; my personal feeling is that he has kind of been manipulated by his uncle and his agent. I can buy that he cares more about his family than his financial success and would trust his uncle to guide him, and that he would take a family member's side in any dispute with the team. But it's not fair to assume he isn't capable of making his own decisions. He's a grown man so he's got to own all of this. I will continue to laugh if his team's master plan continues to backfire, but I honestly hope he will excel on the court in Toronto and wherever he goes after that. He's an amazing player, way better than what the Spurs got in return; hopefully his head is on straight and he doesn't end up a cautionary tale.
I don't disagree with any of this, but the bolded is the most important.  I suppose some fans will judge based on the rumors and innuendo.  I would at some point like to see him interviewed on the subject before I pass judgement.  I'm sure that will never happen, and I'll pass judgement eventually anyway.

Everyone in Canada hated Vince for years and years after he left Toronto.  Most of the raptor fans I talk to now still dislike him.
Tell that to @TobiasFunke

And while it's true that some people will always talk crap about him, he could obviously change the narrative completely if he left and found success elsewhere, especially if it's in a place that wasn't used to it.  
Which is a major reason why the Durant/Knicks talk is so strong.  Add in another superstar like Kyrie and New York is an East favorite.

With good reason.  Vince flat out quit on them.  Bill Simmons covered it extensively in his bball book.

There is no greater glory in sport than watching the blood, sweat and teeth Isaiah Thomas literally left on the floor to be we Celtics fans' 5'7 David v Goliaths and few cultural developments more heartbreaking than how Traitor Danny rewarded him or more disgusting than seeing the currency of DeRozan's commitment discarded to rent another team's Judas. nufced
Understand the overall sentiment WP, well said.  Speaking specifically about IT, he has to take some here though too.  He can be an effective player under very specific conditions, teammates, and coaching.  It all came together a few seasons ago but nobody really NBA aware bought him as a long-term play.  His defense is horrible, he needs the ball to be effective, his personality can rub teammates and members of the organization the wrong way, and he seems to be incapable of avoiding social media and all that eventually comes of it.  Crack on Ainge all you want but he made the right call on IT.

Since it doesn't really add up when you take it all at face value, there are probably hidden reasons.
Agreed on Kawhi.  I too hope he doesn't become a cautionary tale because on the court he is an absolute joy to watch.  He's the single most versatile/best wing defender since Scottie Pippen and the strides he's made on offense are legendary.  The amount of good will and money he's already cost himself will probably never be recouped.

With all that said, the Spurs had a trade demand from LaMarcus Aldridge a year ago and recently Danny Green talked about how he should have gotten a second opinion on his groin injury...so maybe the Spurs deserve a bit more of the blame on this than most seem to acknowledge right now?

Which is a major reason why the Durant/Knicks talk is so strong.  Add in another superstar like Kyrie and New York is an East favorite.
I know a team in the east that already has two all-stars under control for the long term that could use Durant. Plus they're in his hometown and we already know fans love the "superstar becomes hometown hero" angle. Plus this potential Durant burner account seemed to be contemplating just such a move.

(just give me this, please)

Understand the overall sentiment WP, well said.  Speaking specifically about IT, he has to take some here though too.  He can be an effective player under very specific conditions, teammates, and coaching.  It all came together a few seasons ago but nobody really NBA aware bought him as a long-term play.  His defense is horrible, he needs the ball to be effective, his personality can rub teammates and members of the organization the wrong way, and he seems to be incapable of avoiding social media and all that eventually comes of it.  Crack on Ainge all you want but he made the right call on IT.
It's sad to note that the Leprechaun checked w the Celtics about his old job without response before signing with the Nugs. But i finally get it - the Li'l Fella's unprecedented season (and i rank it up there with any Celtic season in my 50+ yrs as a fan) was as much about Stevens making it possible as IT paying it off and that, while his system could set a guy like that free, the plan couldnt reach its fullness with a player they had to hide on D. Hip & hubris brought it to an ugly end, i know, but my sense of sport makes me feel strongly (unlike the rest of New England) that Brady gets to go out the way he wants and Isaiah gets his 3/$100MM for what they left on the field of play.

Agreed on Kawhi.  I too hope he doesn't become a cautionary tale because on the court he is an absolute joy to watch.  He's the single most versatile/best wing defender since Scottie Pippen and the strides he's made on offense are legendary.  The amount of good will and money he's already cost himself will probably never be recouped.

With all that said, the Spurs had a trade demand from LaMarcus Aldridge a year ago and recently Danny Green talked about how he should have gotten a second opinion on his groin injury...so maybe the Spurs deserve a bit more of the blame on this than most seem to acknowledge right now?
Well, to be fair Danny wasn't criticizing the team or the medical staff when he said he should have had a second opinion. He was actually defending both Kawhi and the team docs in that interview, and said the Spurs medical staff is great and have always done a great job. His point was just that sometimes things get missed and it's important to be thorough with injuries, but of course the spin ignored the context. With regards to Aldridge, he was coming off a disappointing season where his touches dropped and he felt he wasn't fitting in the way he wanted. Pop talked to him about it, acknowledged it was his mistake and that he had tried to change LaMarcus' game too much, and from then on things were good and he had a fantastic season getting back to his old game as the offensive focus.

I do think they maybe need to update "Spurs culture" a bit for this current generation of NBA players. They were unbelievably lucky with hard working, humble guys like David Robinson, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili setting the tone there for 25 years. I think they thought they had a continuation of that legacy in Kawhi but one way or another they misjudged what it would take to keep him happy. But I doubt we see much real change until after Pop retires, and honestly it's a bit depressing to imagine what the Spurs will look like after that. Hopefully there is some continuation of the values that have made them such a great franchise up to this point.

The point was that everyone disliked Vince during the Toronto debacle. And now most people like him.  Which means a player who is viewed negatively by almost every NBA fan can turn around his legacy over time.
I was just poking fun, but I can see in a couple of our exchanges today is your propensity to use sweeping generalizations expecting the reader to actually put your statement into context.  I'll update my notebook for future exchanges.

I was just poking fun, but I can see in a couple of our exchanges today is your propensity to use sweeping generalizations expecting the reader to actually put your statement into context.  I'll update my notebook for future exchanges.
I apologize for assuming that you would know that "people love Vince Carter now" was not intended to mean "every single NBA fan on the planet without exception loves Vince Carter," but rather "most people like Vince Carter." This seemed fairly obvious to me, but I'll update my expectations for future exchanges.

could be some truth to this, though fundamentally it just seems like Kawhi is a very different kind of cat.  Very shy, awkward, social difficulty.  so once he gets something in his head, may be tough to get him in a different mindset and he is not a good communicator/receiver.

At least this is kind of how it seems especially listening to the Lowe Post with Michael C. Wright kind of trying to give an overall context of the situation.

Long Ball Larry said:
could be some truth to this, though fundamentally it just seems like Kawhi is a very different kind of cat.  Very shy, awkward, social difficulty.  so once he gets something in his head, may be tough to get him in a different mindset and he is not a good communicator/receiver.

At least this is kind of how it seems especially listening to the Lowe Post with Michael C. Wright kind of trying to give an overall context of the situation.
Yeah, this is the other part of the equation. Kawhi’s different, like you say. It’s possible he is fully onboard with this whole plan, and didn’t need anyone to come up with it for him at all. But if it’s hard to change his mind and he doesn’t communicate well it would be tough to undo the influence of anyone he does decide to let in. The dots just seem to connect that his uncle is a big part of things, in any case.

I’ve only read the cliff notes from that interview; I really should check it out.

I do look forward to quotes like this all year:

"We may not see this on day one, but the coaching staff is eager to see our version of the [Warriors'] Death Lineup with Lonzo [Ball], Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, [Kyle] Kuzma and LeBron," a second Lakers executive said

I coach little kids in Football. the above quote is like me telling them to set up a 4-3 D like the '85 Bears with "our own version". Comparing the Warriors lineup to Ball, Hart, Ingram, Kuzma and LeBron is just gorgeous.

ETA: and maybe it will work, so I am not trying to poo-poo too much with LA. I just think the strategy post-LeBron has been baffling to say the least. the best argument I hear is that all of their signings for 1-year, so it doesn't hurt them too bad. Well, if that was all they were looking to do, why not sign guys on 1-year deals that may be on the team going forward, or do like the Sixers did with JJ and overpay one year, so the next year you can even it out a little. Myabe 1 or 2 of the free agent signings stick around, but seems to make much more sense on commiting funds to guys with higher upsides. Boogie is a perfect example

I do look forward to quotes like this all year:

"We may not see this on day one, but the coaching staff is eager to see our version of the [Warriors'] Death Lineup with Lonzo [Ball], Josh Hart, Brandon Ingram, [Kyle] Kuzma and LeBron," a second Lakers executive said

I coach little kids in Football. the above quote is like me telling them to set up a 4-3 D like the '85 Bears with "our own version". Comparing the Warriors lineup to Ball, Hart, Ingram, Kuzma and LeBron is just gorgeous.

ETA: and maybe it will work, so I am not trying to poo-poo too much with LA. I just think the strategy post-LeBron has been baffling to say the least. the best argument I hear is that all of their signings for 1-year, so it doesn't hurt them too bad. Well, if that was all they were looking to do, why not sign guys on 1-year deals that may be on the team going forward, or do like the Sixers did with JJ and overpay one year, so the next year you can even it out a little. Myabe 1 or 2 of the free agent signings stick around, but seems to make much more sense on commiting funds to guys with higher upsides. Boogie is a perfect example
The young guys is who they are really trying to develop and see what they have. No point in bringing in semi-young vets who can tempt Walton to stealing minutes.

I am in on any and all John Wall picture jokes, but this bit is my favorite by far:

Where does it say a professional basketball guard must be “lean” and “healthy-looking”? It doesn’t say that anywhere. Where is it written that he can’t, if he so chooses, spend the night—and indeed a whole month, I suspect!—prior to a Team USA camp photoshoot “really getting into baking”? That is not in the rules. I for one think it is very unfair that in modern society our famous athletes are given “time off” between seasons, but then laughed at and called “a tubby hobo” if they choose to spend that time, ah, backpacking through the sewer.

John Wall looks like a man who went on a well-deserved dang vacation (to the cigar factory)! He looks happy and satisfied, and also like he is 92 years old. Is that so bad? Last summer he looked slim and cared-for and well-groomed, not at all like the type of guy who leaves a man-shaped cloud of fleas behind him when he dribbles toward the hoop; then he missed half the season with injuries and the Wizards were a dysfunctional, internally fractious, eighth-seeded mess. Can you blame the guy for trying something different, and indeed completely opposite? That is called “leadership.” If more people understood and were willing to make these kinds of bold sacrifices, maybe our nation wouldn’t be in such a bad state.

Maybe he is just manipulating his competitors. Did you ever consider that? There is no way this chubby senior citizen can take me, Steph Curry will think, slim and handsome and overconfident. He is wheezing like a bagpipe and looks like he might die. But then John Wall will back his enormous can into Steph’s comparatively skeletal frame and rock him backward, and then score an easy basket. And then who will be laughing, if he can catch his breath long enough to manage it? The guy wearing the alarmingly distended No. 2 Wizards jersey, that is who.

The young guys is who they are really trying to develop and see what they have. No point in bringing in semi-young vets who can tempt Walton to stealing minutes.
i'll disagree that the Lakers wouldn't benefit from identifying some cheap depth on their team. I am amazed that a team with no GM can have a better summer than multiple teams in the league.

i'll disagree that the Lakers wouldn't benefit from identifying some cheap depth on their team. I am amazed that a team with no GM can have a better summer than multiple teams in the league.
If they sign anyone longer than 1 year it messes up their cap space. Might as well use 1 year deals on vets to push the young cats.

If they sign anyone longer than 1 year it messes up their cap space. Might as well use 1 year deals on vets to push the young cats.
Its pretty obvious what the approach has been this summer. It's strange people aren't able to pick up on it. People can legitimately quibble about whether some of these vets will be good influences - I think the gamble there is that having James around as a role model and locker room leader will more than offset the potential goofiness of some of the rentals. Also, if a rental or two becomes a problem, it shouldn't be too hard to ship them out given their relatively low salary one year deals.

If they sign anyone longer than 1 year it messes up their cap space. Might as well use 1 year deals on vets to push the young cats

Its pretty obvious what the approach has been this summer. It's strange people aren't able to pick up on it. People can legitimately quibble about whether some of these vets will be good influences - I think the gamble there is that having James around as a role model and locker room leader will more than offset the potential goofiness of some of the rentals. Also, if a rental or two becomes a problem, it shouldn't be too hard to ship them out given their relatively low salary one year deals.
Sixers have been doing this strategy for  few years, but they seem to have a plan with it. You get some cheap one year rentals who can give a good locker room presence like Amir Johnson, etc., or you take a chance on some guys and can grow on the cheap. I just don't know why they chose the guys they did, could have got other guys on 1 year deals that would have made a ton more sense. it just makes a ton more sense to do the 1-year deal with a guy like Boogie or a bunch of other options (Tyreke, etc.) who have the chance to be with the team for a few years. I mean out of their free agent signings, who will be on the team next year? i would guess LeBron and KCP cause he is a part of Klutch. SO you let the other guys go, but then who fills their spots? If the Lakers had a plan or thought it out a bit more, you could bring on a Tyreke Evans or Boogie, and pay them a bit more this year as a sign of good faith, and if they can sign another max player next year you get a guy who knows the system from this year and can come cheaper.

and i do love the talk of how they signed the guys they did to bring "toughness" to the team, if it was any other team in the league (outside of Boston and G.S. maybe) the media would have laughed at the org. galore. Instead, you have a bunch of schills who just seem to go along for some unknown reason. Toughness would have been signing a guy like Smart who they could have got for a couple more million, and had to be as a piece on the team going forward. just because the guys are knuckleheads, does not mean they are tough

in all honesty, it seems to me that the plan the whole time was they just want to be talked about. Whether good or bad, the media won't ignore them. So maybe they try the no lose strategy where if they can make the playoffs they can tell the story about how great LeBron is as a teammate and bringing these guys together. they also have the easy out to move on from Walton by setting him up to be the fall guy for them losing or have him choose to quit because the headaches are too much. 

they should focus more on unloading Deng contract for whatever it takes (a 1st or 2) if they were thinking about cap space. With LeBron, chances are they won't be a lottery team for next few years, so trade a pick or 2 and get all that money back. if not, use the money on potential plans for the future, not just getting a potential reality show they can market 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread