What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

I do not get that defensive game plan at all.

Started out mostly rushing three. Brady had time....disaster.

Changed to rushing 4....great. Pats targets run ahead two yards...cut perpendicular to line of scrimmage, Brady leads them, they catch and turn up field and get a 5-6 yard gain. Rinse..repeat.

I have watched the Pats do this for years...no one seems to be able to stop it....no one seems to be able to copy it.

I swear the biggest advantage the Pats have is lack of ego with Bill. He is not going to do a bunch of gimmicky stuff. Just run ahead two yards...cut...6 yard gain. Again and again. Pats win.

hopefully the players keep their emotions in check somewhat. don't want any stupid penalties.
:(
yeah, seemed very predictable.

glad these guys fought to the end at least. if they beat Miami and start out 2-1 vs IND, NE, MIA, everybody will be excited all over again.
Agreed. This was a disappointing loss, and we were probably losing even without the idiotic penalties, but our offense has shown that it can move the ball, and our defense presumably isn't getting lit up like this again. Our next half-dozen or so games are much easier. We won't actually go 8-1, but there are no scary-looking games on the schedule until the next meeting with NE.

I do not get that defensive game plan at all.

Started out mostly rushing three. Brady had time....disaster.

Changed to rushing 4....great. Pats targets run ahead two yards...cut perpendicular to line of scrimmage, Brady leads them, they catch and turn up field and get a 5-6 yard gain. Rinse..repeat.

I have watched the Pats do this for years...no one seems to be able to stop it....no one seems to be able to copy it.

I swear the biggest advantage the Pats have is lack of ego with Bill. He is not going to do a bunch of gimmicky stuff. Just run ahead two yards...cut...6 yard gain. Again and again. Pats win.
I agree that the defensive gameplan seemed a little off to me. They gave the Colts - a vertical passing team - short dink-and-dunk stuff all day and ate them up. Why would you give the Pats - the ultimate dink-and-dunk team - underneath stuff all day?

The more I let this settle in, the less worried about it I think I am. There were positives yesterday. McCoy looked good. The offense didn't wilt and moved the ball when they had to. Tyrod didn't look as bad as the stats might indicate. The offense scored 5 TDs overall.

Defensively, they didn't adjust and were just eaten alive all day. That worries me, but they're also not playing the Patriots every week. This same defense made Andrew Luck look average last week but now the sky is falling down. Tyrod needs to make quicker decisions; 8 sacks is unacceptable.

I think this Miami game will be a very telling game. On the road against their (IMO) biggest rival. Two teams coming off of losses. Two teams both supposedly on the rise and playoff contenders this year. 1-1 after 2 games against last year's 2 best teams in the conference is nothing to sneeze at. But this Miami game is a game that a playoff team should win - or at least play very well and get beaten by the opponents playing very well. If the defense gets shredded by the Dolphins offense, I'll start to be worried. But a win or even a close loss and I think they're still in the hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ughhhh.

I hate Patriots fans. What an unpleasant game in my own stadium with a row of 12 of them in front of me.

Can we just fast forward to Sunday. That was a tough game to be at the whole time.

I have no idea why the Bills weren't jamming receivers at the line more. That's the only way you're going to stop all those super quick passing plays. And yet, every time you looked, Darby is playing 8+ yards off the receiver. Crazy.

And with the Pats playing 8 in the box, there was no reason not to take more shots downfield to Harvin and Watkins early.

Ughhhh.

I hate Patriots fans. What an unpleasant game in my own stadium with a row of 12 of them in front of me.

Can we just fast forward to Sunday. That was a tough game to be at the whole time.
Patriots fan here. Always had fun up in Buffalo for the games. Bills fans have always been cool when travelling up there and I've had many a beer with random Bills fans at the tailgate. I wonder if its all different this year with Rex Ryan. I rarely hear players say that they hate the other team like we all heard out of Buffalo this week . It's really unprofessional. Add to that the Bills fans stoking the Inflategate fire and it's just potential for a bad scene.

The stats to explain this game -

Tom Brady, sacked 2 times.

Tyrod Taylor, sacked 8 times.

That should be the other way around, given our d-line and Tyrod's mobility.
Good post. I thought brady was gonna get killed before the game.
I don't get the defensive strategy either. The only way to beat Brady is to pressure him. They just weren't disrupting him enough with 4. I can't believe they didn't drop the same thing they did to beat Luck.

The stats to explain this game -

Tom Brady, sacked 2 times.

Tyrod Taylor, sacked 8 times.

That should be the other way around, given our d-line and Tyrod's mobility.
Good post. I thought brady was gonna get killed before the game.
Most of those Tyrod sacks were on the last two drives where we were running deep routes and he was trying to run around and make plays.

Brady wasn't going to get sacked, which was fine, Dareus not getting pressure up the middle with a hand in the face was dissapointing. Brady threw the ball every 1.8 seconds.

I have no idea why the Bills weren't jamming receivers at the line more. That's the only way you're going to stop all those super quick passing plays. And yet, every time you looked, Darby is playing 8+ yards off the receiver. Crazy.

And with the Pats playing 8 in the box, there was no reason not to take more shots downfield to Harvin and Watkins early.
It's annoying watching a bunched formation where Edleman gets off the line scott free.

Hugely disappointing loss. Just way too many stupid penalties. No question Rex got out coached as well.

Still, I think I'd rather be a Bills fan than an Eagles fan right now.
Oh great, I not only have to feel bad about my team losing, I am getting pity from a Bill's fan. The horror.

Ughhhh.

Patriots fan here. Always had fun up in Buffalo for the games. Bills fans have always been cool when travelling up there and I've had many a beer with random Bills fans at the tailgate. I wonder if its all different this year with Rex Ryan. I rarely hear players say that they hate the other team like we all heard out of Buffalo this week . It's really unprofessional. Add to that the Bills fans stoking the Inflategate fire and it's just potential for a bad scene.
I didn't really notice much of a difference from the fans this year. There will always be ####### fans of both teams, Bills and <insert opponent>. Throw in the excessive drinking and it's always a recipe for disaster. 90% of the Patriots fans around us were quiet and respectful, and 90% of the Bills fans were quiet and respectful right back. And then there a few bad eggs. I don't think Patriots fans are really any worse than other teams fans, but there's more to it than just the Patriots themselves I think. There's a hockey rivalry backstory (Lucic running Miller, anyone?), and Buffalo is littered with Yankees fans who can't stand the Sawx. Boston is the only city in the division with those extra added flashpoints for Buffalo fans.

I don't have a problem with the players speaking their mind - Aaron Williams talking about how he dislikes the Patriots for the way they've treated him in the past few years, for example - but in the end it comes down to backing it up on the field. Keep your mouth shut, quit whining and beat the Patriots. They were unprepared and out of control yesterday and got outclassed by a better team.

The more I let this settle in, the less worried about it I think I am. There were positives yesterday. McCoy looked good. The offense didn't wilt and moved the ball when they had to. Tyrod didn't look as bad as the stats might indicate. The offense scored 5 TDs overall.

Defensively, they didn't adjust and were just eaten alive all day. That worries me, but they're also not playing the Patriots every week. This same defense made Andrew Luck look average last week but now the sky is falling down. Tyrod needs to make quicker decisions; 8 sacks is unacceptable.

I think this Miami game will be a very telling game. On the road against their (IMO) biggest rival. Two teams coming off of losses. Two teams both supposedly on the rise and playoff contenders this year. 1-1 after 2 games against last year's 2 best teams in the conference is nothing to sneeze at. But this Miami game is a game that a playoff team should win - or at least play very well and get beaten by the opponents playing very well. If the defense gets shredded by the Dolphins offense, I'll start to be worried. But a win or even a close loss and I think they're still in the hunt.
Agreed, especially on the bolded part. He took some sacks that he really shouldn't have taken, but the three ints are misleading. The first one was a somewhat poor pass but should have been hauled in by Clay. The second came at the end of the first half with nothing to lose -- the quarterback should force the ball downfield on that play at the risk of being picked. The only pick that was clearly blameworthy was the one that would have gotten Watkins cut in half by a DB if one had been so inclined.

I also agree with you in general on the Miami game. I don't think Miami is really a contender -- they nearly lost to Washington and did find a way to lose to Jacksonville somehow -- but you are right that this is the kind of road game that playoff teams should be able to handle in workmanlike fashion.

Agreed, especially on the bolded part. He took some sacks that he really shouldn't have taken, but the three ints are misleading. The first one was a somewhat poor pass but should have been hauled in by Clay. The second came at the end of the first half with nothing to lose -- the quarterback should force the ball downfield on that play at the risk of being picked. The only pick that was clearly blameworthy was the one that would have gotten Watkins cut in half by a DB if one had been so inclined.

I also agree with you in general on the Miami game. I don't think Miami is really a contender -- they nearly lost to Washington and did find a way to lose to Jacksonville somehow -- but you are right that this is the kind of road game that playoff teams should be able to handle in workmanlike fashion.
I can see dismissing it if it bounced off of a players chest into an INT, but that pass to Clay was way too high- we see INTs off of passes like that all the time. I also disagree about the 2nd one- that wasn't a last play of the half hail mary situation, a relatively short completion/scramble there puts them in FG range (theoretically). Heck, even an incompletion gives them a hail mary chance on the next play. Bad decision.

I was screaming both of these things in my living room. It boggles the mind.

Hugely disappointing loss. Just way too many stupid penalties. No question Rex got out coached as well.

Oh great, I not only have to feel bad about my team losing, I am getting pity from a Bill's fan. The horror.
I'd rather be the team that has a chance to compete for their division this and the next three years. That's not us.

Bills_Fan11 said:
dhockster said:

I'd rather be the team that has a chance to compete for their division this and the next three years. That's not us.
I don't know if that is us, either.

If you told me before the season that The Bills would start the season 1-1 and lose to New England by only one score I'd be happy.

Hate to see it for Kiko, but between the news on his possible season being over and moves like this from Lesean yesterday, that trade is looking awfully good by Whaley/Rex.

https://twitter.com/yardsperpass/status/645989030086184960
Kiko's INT was way more impressive than that run, and considering the contract they gave to McCoy, it's going to be pretty hard for that trade to look awfully good IMO.
A player on the field is worth infinitely more than a player injured and on the sidelines.

And FWIW, Kiko was pretty mediocre this last week before he got hurt and left the game.

Hate to see it for Kiko, but between the news on his possible season being over and moves like this from Lesean yesterday, that trade is looking awfully good by Whaley/Rex.

Kiko's INT was way more impressive than that run, and considering the contract they gave to McCoy, it's going to be pretty hard for that trade to look awfully good IMO.
A player on the field is worth infinitely more than a player injured and on the sidelines.

And FWIW, Kiko was pretty mediocre this last week before he got hurt and left the game.
And the last 6-8 games with the Bills. Was over-glorified by BillsMafia with the Legend of Kiko things after tearing up the league in September/October. The grind of the season and his small LB size put him in a bunch of bad run stopping situations towards the end of his season in Buffalo, he was gashed.

A player on the field is worth infinitely more than a player injured and on the sidelines.And FWIW, Kiko was pretty mediocre this last week before he got hurt and left the game.
Not true at all when you consider contracts (and performance).

A player on the field is worth infinitely more than a player injured and on the sidelines.And FWIW, Kiko was pretty mediocre this last week before he got hurt and left the game.
It's absolutely true. A player who can't play at all has zero value. Even bad performance is getting some performance for the money. There may be better options, but a player who can't play is 100% worthless.

Packers Bears go back and forth all the time. One of my favs was a Pack db saying, "We've just got to stand in the right place; Jay'll throw it to us."

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

It's absolutely true. A player who can't play at all has zero value. Even bad performance is getting some performance for the money. There may be better options, but a player who can't play is 100% worthless.
It's absolutely not. Do you think Tony Romo has zero value and is totally worthless to Dallas right now?

"There may be better options" is precisely the point- if a player is performing poorly and another option would be performing better, the poor performer is actually hurting your team. You're also still ignoring the salary implications, which are huge in this case.

I'm with humpback. It's not the sort of trade you can analyze after two weeks. Very unlikely Shady won't be a drain on the payroll for what he's giving us in two years or even next yr. But sure, he looked good Sunday.

I rarely hear players say that they hate the other team like we all heard out of Buffalo this week . It's really unprofessional.
Agreed: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/23/tom-brady-on-hard-knocks-i-hate-the-jets-i-refuse-to-watch-the-show/
Haha - the awkward Brady fake laugh from that radio station interview last year was great.

I refuse to watch Do Your Job so there.

But seriously the Jim Rome style hot takes about having to back up talk is so tired and lame. Losing is losing and it sucks. Who cares if you do it quietly or not; we've done it the other way for years.

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

I can't believe anyone is even arguing that. Kiko is vastly over-rated- Yes McCoy is over-paid but they got him and he's more talented. They'll figure out contracts later.

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

It's absolutely not. Do you think Tony Romo has zero value and is totally worthless to Dallas right now?

"There may be better options" is precisely the point- if a player is performing poorly and another option would be performing better, the poor performer is actually hurting your team. You're also still ignoring the salary implications, which are huge in this case.
Salary cap limitations are irrelevant when you have Terry Pegula - re-doing deals. Salary cap is an overrated thing as well. Restructure Mario etc, giving out guaranteed money and restructuring. Simple.

Yes Tony Romo has 0 value right now. He's not starting. In 10 weeks he will have value again.

However Kiko isn't nearly as good as you are thinking. Now two knee injuries in three seasons on already terrible knees for a LB. Yikes.

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

Salary cap limitations are irrelevant when you have Terry Pegula - re-doing deals. Salary cap is an overrated thing as well. Restructure Mario etc, giving out guaranteed money and restructuring. Simple.

Yes Tony Romo has 0 value right now. He's not starting. In 10 weeks he will have value again.

However Kiko isn't nearly as good as you are thinking. Now two knee injuries in three seasons on already terrible knees for a LB. Yikes.
Lol. Yeah, the salary cap is irrelevant. Can't wait to see all of their signings in the future since all it takes is Pegula's checkbook. Getting Luck is going to be sweet!

If you don't think that Tony Romo is helping his team by being in the film room, on the sidelines, being an emotional leader, coaching up the back-up QB and his WRs, etc., I don't know what to tell you.

You have no idea how good I think Kiko is. Obviously he's injury prone, but he's by far the smallest piece of this puzzle IMO. Take him out of the equation completely and it might still end up being a bad trade.

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
Hate to see it for Kiko, but between the news on his possible season being over and moves like this from Lesean yesterday, that trade is looking awfully good by Whaley/Rex.https://twitter.com/yardsperpass/status/645989030086184960
It's absolutely not. Do you think Tony Romo has zero value and is totally worthless to Dallas right now?"There may be better options" is precisely the point- if a player is performing poorly and another option would be performing better, the poor performer is actually hurting your team. You're also still ignoring the salary implications, which are huge in this case.
Salary cap limitations are irrelevant when you have Terry Pegula - re-doing deals. Salary cap is an overrated thing as well. Restructure Mario etc, giving out guaranteed money and restructuring. Simple.Yes Tony Romo has 0 value right now. He's not starting. In 10 weeks he will have value again.

Lol. Yeah, the salary cap is irrelevant. Can't wait to see all of their signings in the future since all it takes is Pegula's checkbook. Getting Luck is going to be sweet!If you don't think that Tony Romo is helping his team by being in the film room, on the sidelines, being an emotional leader, coaching up the back-up QB and his WRs, etc., I don't know what to tell you.

You have no idea how good I think Kiko is. Obviously he's injury prone, but he's by far the smallest piece of this puzzle IMO. Take him out of the equation completely and it might still end up being a bad trade.
They seemed to sign Dareus no problem.You do understand that they are spending less cap dollars this year at the RB position compared to last year by $4M, right? And the same as 2 years ago? And $4M less than the Eagles are spending at RB this year? And that it only goes up $2M next year?

In fact, the Eagles were forced to commit $17M in cap dollars next year to try to replace Shady!! And how's that going so far? Seems like it cost the Bills a whole lot less to replace Kiko than it cost the Eagles to replace Shady, and the Bills are getting WAY more production at both spots.

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
Hate to see it for Kiko, but between the news on his possible season being over and moves like this from Lesean yesterday, that trade is looking awfully good by Whaley/Rex.https://twitter.com/yardsperpass/status/645989030086184960
It's absolutely not. Do you think Tony Romo has zero value and is totally worthless to Dallas right now?"There may be better options" is precisely the point- if a player is performing poorly and another option would be performing better, the poor performer is actually hurting your team. You're also still ignoring the salary implications, which are huge in this case.
Salary cap limitations are irrelevant when you have Terry Pegula - re-doing deals. Salary cap is an overrated thing as well. Restructure Mario etc, giving out guaranteed money and restructuring. Simple.Yes Tony Romo has 0 value right now. He's not starting. In 10 weeks he will have value again.

Lol. Yeah, the salary cap is irrelevant. Can't wait to see all of their signings in the future since all it takes is Pegula's checkbook. Getting Luck is going to be sweet!If you don't think that Tony Romo is helping his team by being in the film room, on the sidelines, being an emotional leader, coaching up the back-up QB and his WRs, etc., I don't know what to tell you.

They seemed to sign Dareus no problem.

You do understand that they are spending less cap dollars this year at the RB position compared to last year by $4M, right? And the same as 2 years ago? And $4M less than the Eagles are spending at RB this year? And that it only goes up $2M next year?

In fact, the Eagles were forced to commit $17M in cap dollars next year to try to replace Shady!! And how's that going so far? Seems like it cost the Bills a whole lot less to replace Kiko than it cost the Eagles to replace Shady, and the Bills are getting WAY more production at both spots.
STATS!!!!!

GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:
humpback said:
GroveDiesel said:

They seemed to sign Dareus no problem.You do understand that they are spending less cap dollars this year at the RB position compared to last year by $4M, right? And the same as 2 years ago? And $4M less than the Eagles are spending at RB this year? And that it only goes up $2M next year?

I don't say this often, but this is some serious pwnage here.

They seemed to sign Dareus no problem.

You do understand that they are spending less cap dollars this year at the RB position compared to last year by $4M, right? And the same as 2 years ago? And $4M less than the Eagles are spending at RB this year? And that it only goes up $2M next year?

So cutting Fred Jackson was no problem now?

You do understand that there is more than one season on McCoy's contract, and it goes up each year when you're likely to get even less production, right? That it's the most guaranteed money for a RB in the NFL?

Why are you comparing them to the Eagles? They clearly made a mistake and are paying for it. How is that relevant to the Bills cap situation?

Nice quick editing there, Gotta. Refresh my memory- you said I was a troll who knows nothing about football, something like that right?

On that note, let's take a look at a couple of your recent gems regarding the Bills salary cap situation, shall we?

Love the Fred cut, It's business, save 2.3M for a 34 year old RB when you are deep at the position. You have to worry about Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham. It hurts with leadership and heart but it's a new regime, new guys will step up. I hope he goes to Dallas or somewhere in the NFC, and we see him on the Wall of Fame and coaching RB's in a few years.

Now cut Cassel and save Four-and some change more.
2.3M is actually a good amount to keep a backup RB when you have Karolos Williams, Boobie, Brown. Oh yeah and McCoy you are paying a boatload to. You have guys like Gilmore, Dareus, Glenn all will get big pay days and Bradham as well coming due.

It's business he's not needed. He's easily replaced on the field. Off the field and leadership they'll be fine with guys like Kyle, Wood, Mario, etc.
Disagree 2.3M is alot and they can carry it over on top of next years cap. So cutting Cassel potentially and Fred would save over 7M onto the cap next year. They will be pinching pennies to stay under the cap even with a rich owner who can shell out alot of GTD' money. Better to cut a guy a year soon, than later.

Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn IS apart of this 2.3M decision.
So a couple of weeks ago when we were discussing the $2.3 mil from cutting Jackson, you made multiple posts about how much money it was, how they'll be pinching pennies to stay under the cap even with a rich owner, how it was a factor in re-signing guys like Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, etc. You actually noted that they're paying McCoy a "boatload" then as well. Now today when we're discussing the $40 mil contract with McCoy, you say the salary cap limitations are irrelevant since they have the same rich owner and how it's simple to fix, and then have the audacity to say I'm the troll who knows nothing about football? :lmao:

Matt Cassel traded to the Cowboys.
Very happy with this. EJ looked like a servicable backup in preseason. I was even kinda pissed when they resigned Cassell and made him the #2. He's awful.

The deal is Cassell and a 7th for the Cowboys' 5th and 7th. So basically we ended up trading two seventh rounders (one to Minnesota for Cassell) for a 5th and a 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys' 7th is a higher pick than our own.

The 5th round is a nice pickup for a total washout, imo.

humpback, please stop. You're the turd floating in the pool here.
:lmao:

Very happy with this. EJ looked like a servicable backup in preseason. I was even kinda pissed when they resigned Cassell and made him the #2. He's awful.

The deal is Cassell and a 7th for the Cowboys' 5th and 7th. So basically we ended up trading two seventh rounders (one to Minnesota for Cassell) for a 5th and a 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys' 7th is a higher pick than our own.

The 5th round is a nice pickup for a total washout, imo.
This is incorrect, but I won't "turd" up the pool and present facts.

Users who are viewing this thread