What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 New York Football Giants (under new management of Schoen & Daboll) (1 Viewer)

Giants lost today because they were horribly conservative ... They Scored on 4 possesions in a row and then decided to sit on a 1 score lead !!!!!!!
Then when they need to be conservative they decided to throw 40 yard bombs??? WTF

Giants lost today because they were horribly conservative ... They Scored on 4 possesions in a row and then decided to sit on a 1 score lead !!!!!!!
Then when they need to be conservative they decided to throw 40 yard bombs??? WTF
Yeah the timing of those bomb shots to Slayton were curious at best. Those plays should have been run after the bonehead penalty by Feliciano moved the Giants back to mid field.

I was very disappointed that the defense let Washington walk down the field 90 yards to tie the game. If I recall properly, I think Washinton converted a 4th and like 20. I do remember helling at the TV on that one

The play calling with 1:40 left was horrible. I get the first shot. After that? Get the first down and try again. Don’t go back to well again. That was a frustrating moment.

"Mark Glowinski has the 6th worst pass blocking efficiency numbers for Guards in 2022 (minimum 270 snaps). 4 of the 5 with worse numbers are rookies. He also has the 3rd most sacks allowed for Guards."

The interior o-line play has been bad all season. Hence all the designed roll-outs. Play calling has trended conservative IMO, which suggest to me that the staff don't fully trust Jones. Would not be surprised if they draft a QB this year. With so many holes on the roster, undecided if that's the best move. I think we have a solid core on D - Lawrence/Williams/Ojulari/KT/Love and McKinney when he gets back. few more additions in the draft and FA next year think we could have a very nice D. the inability to stop the run this year is a bummer.

Man "O" Man is the shine wearing off on this new regime! Terrible Free agent signings (see above), 10 men on the field on critical 4th and 1 (Thx Giving) , 2 players running into each other on 3-3 in over time, horrendous special teams play all year and playing cowardly (The Giants 4th & 3 Punt In Overtime Was In The 99.9 Percentile On The Surrender Index For Cowardly Punts) ?!?!?!? Play calling has been terrible and they have gone from 6-1 to 7-4-1 (1-3-1 in their last 5 games) and are now unlikley to make the playoffs. There's actually talk that the oline might be worse then last year which seems impossible!

I know I am going to get wripped for this but ... starting to feel like the same old crap ... if this happened to the old regime we would be calling for heads. McAdoo went 11-5 in his 1st season and was fired in his 2nd ... Nobody gives a crap about Dabolls antics when the Giants are losing

Man "O" Man is the shine wearing off on this new regime! Terrible Free agent signings (see above), 10 men on the field on critical 4th and 1 (Thx Giving) , 2 players running into each other on 3-3 in over time, horrendous special teams play all year and playing cowardly (The Giants 4th & 3 Punt In Overtime Was In The 99.9 Percentile On The Surrender Index For Cowardly Punts) ?!?!?!? Play calling has been terrible and they have gone from 6-1 to 7-4-1 (1-3-1 in their last 5 games) and are now unlikley to make the playoffs. There's actually talk that the oline might be worse then last year which seems impossible!

I know I am going to get wripped for this but ... starting to feel like the same old crap ... if this happened to the old regime we would be calling for heads. McAdoo went 11-5 in his 1st season and was fired in his 2nd ... Nobody gives a crap about Dabolls antics when the Giants are losing
I don't think you are gonna get ripped. I was shocked we got to 6-1 with the roster we have. Think that was a sign of good coaching. We don't have a lot of depth. Too many injuries. McKinney getting hurt on a bye week...felt like plax and his incident (to be fair, very different teams and what i thought they could accomplish). Having Adoree return punts was a very questionable decision, rather have a Richie James fumble then our #1 corner out several weeks.

This has always been a rebuild year. Sure, the 6-1 start pushed expectations, but at the beginning of the year I did not think they could sniff .500 and that might be where they end up.

It is clear the coaching staff does not trust the interior offensive line. On the first straight dropback of the game Glo completely whiffed and Jones got sacked before before he could even get set. After that it was clear Kafka wouldn't trust our O-line against a DL that has been playing as well as any line in the league. Add to in our terrible WR corps and you are just not going to see aggressive play calls down the field, especially against good pass rushes. I do agree, they HAVE to clean up the silly obvious mistakes (James not know where he is going in the backfield, the 4th and 1 miscues against Dallas). But to bail on this staff is ridiculous right now. This was always a 2 or 3 year rebuild, and was going to require a lot of patience.

I doubt they move on from Jones either. None of the top tier QBs will be available where they are picking, and they need to continue adding draft capital to fill the numerous holes on the roster, not trading picks to try and score one of the top guys. None of the available vets on the market will be a better choice than Jones either. My guess is they work out a relatively team-friendly deal that brings him back for 2-3 years. I seriously doubt Jones wants to go reset with another team either.

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

Xavier McKinney just spoke very confidently about returning this season. He said his hand still needs to heal more but he’s prepared to wear a club when he gets the OK. He had pins surgically removed from the ring, middle and index fingers on his left hand on Wednesday.

Dan Duggan @DDuggan21

The knee injury that Giants CB Aaron Robinson suffered in Week 4 was a partially torn ACL and a torn MCL, per source. Robinson had surgery four weeks ago and is looking at a recovery timeline of approximately nine months. Injuries have been a hurdle for the 2021 third-round pick.

Well that was ugly! The defense was atrocious.
Clearly the Giants aren't ready to challenge really good teams but I'm sure none of us expected them to do so this season anyway.
A playoff berth however is still a possibility, so the team needs to forget about this beat down quickly and get ready for the Commanders

This team is playing really bad football ... aside from a few breaks that went their way early on they are no different then last season.
The defense is pathetic, the oline is horrendous, and the coaching is skating by on there first 7 games. They look horribly unprepared for the past 5 weeks.
If they lose next week they have no chance of making the playoff so it is essentially a playoff game. If this coaching staff cant come up with a game plan to beat WAS a team that they are better than ... then i dont feel any better than I did last year.

This is an epic collapse .., I dont care that they went 6-1 against the easiet schedule in the NFL ... Win a must win game !

Jones is playing great ball ,,, the rest of the team is crap on both sides of the ball.

What the hell was Julian Love doing on that Smith TD???? I never saw anything like that ! The play had 1 of 2 outcomes ... int or hammering Smith and breaking up the play. The result was statistically impossible ... it defies reality !

Oh and they give new meaning to Special teams! They blocked a punt that could have been a TD, should have been at least a Safty, and almost ended up a 1st down for the punting team???? and it's time for the Scottish hammer to go ... more like hammered on scotch !! Worst punter in the nfl

Last edited:
McKinney and the ATV really turned the trajectory of the team. I don't see how you bring back Saquon, let him go sign with a contender. Jones with another year of man this guy has no one around him.

McKinney and the ATV really turned the trajectory of the team. I don't see how you bring back Saquon, let him go sign with a contender. Jones with another year of man this guy has no one around him.
Yeah and using Adoree Jackson as a punt returner

So if we were having lunch back in August and I said to you after the last few years,with a new regime,in an obvious rebuild,on December 18th The Giants would be playing in a meaningful game and would be sitting in a playoff spot,would you have lost your lunch or agreed with me?

So if we were having lunch back in August and I said to you after the last few years,with a new regime,in an obvious rebuild,on December 18th The Giants would be playing in a meaningful game and would be sitting in a playoff spot,would you have lost your lunch or agreed with me?
I would have probably agreed that was a possibility. I always thought the Giants talent has been better than the results. I would have assumed that The Oline was coming together (it's not) I would have assumed that Toney, Galloday, and Wan'dale were making big contibutions (they didnt)

We go into next year much worse off at WR then we were, Possibly no better at Oline then we were, Saquan has been a big disappointment and he is probably gone, the LBers are no better and probably worse then they were, Special teams is a disaster ... And overall the entire team has regressed since week 7

If they start 6-1 and go 1-8-1 to finish the season ... I do not consider that a victory at all. Not only did the Giants beat up on bad team but they beat up on bad teams that were struggling
Would they beat any of these teams if they played them right now?? CHI , GB , JAX, TEN, BAL, CAR or even HOU???

Agree. I had them at 4-5 wins based on talent....never thought they would be playing a meaningful primetime game in late December for a playoff push. Considering they are down their top 4 WR, best 3 defensive players, and with a ST and OL that is a detriment on a weekly basis, I don't know what people expect at this point. Look at the talent differential between PHI and NY on Sunday...as Carl Banks said, that is the difference between a team in Year 3 of a rebuild vs Year 1.

I will say the coaching has been far from perfect the last month plus. The Adoree' injury was just dumb, and that's not hindsight...everyone knew it was a stupid decision at the time. The regression of the OL, especially Neal who looked lost Sunday, is especially frustrating. Seems like that has really hamstrung the offense, although some weeks I see Kafka getting more creative than others. Special teams continues to be a disaster, and has been an Achilles heal on this team for years.

All that said, the season is in front of them Sunday night. Feel like the first WAS game they held back, trying not to make mistakes. This week they were clearly overmatched, and folded the tents early with an eye towards WAS. Would like to see Daboll get back to DaBALLs, and leave it all out on the field Sunday night. Either way, as a NYG fan living in the WAS area, I've been to too many meaningless late December games down here the last few years and just excited to have one where it matters. If that doesn't get you pumped as a Gmen fan, not sure what you are looking for.

Aside from the Salary Cap issue (which is big) what about this year looks like a rebuild?
I think aside from Thibideux falling into their laps and Bellinger ... The draft was kind of terrible
Neal as said has been a huge disappointment ... Wand'dale was a terrible pick no matter how you slice it, Ezeudu can't get playing time on the worst Oline in football,
the 3 picks in the 5th went from bad to worse ... it was a bad draft!

Feliciano and Glowinski have been awful pickups

This team is playing really bad football ... aside from a few breaks that went their way early on they are no different then last season.
The defense is pathetic, the oline is horrendous, and the coaching is skating by on there first 7 games. They look horribly unprepared for the past 5 weeks.
If they lose next week they have no chance of making the playoff so it is essentially a playoff game. If this coaching staff cant come up with a game plan to beat WAS a team that they are better than ... then i dont feel any better than I did last year.

This is an epic collapse .., I dont care that they went 6-1 against the easiet schedule in the NFL ... Win a must win game !

Jones is playing great ball ,,, the rest of the team is crap on both sides of the ball.

What the hell was Julian Love doing on that Smith TD???? I never saw anything like that ! The play had 1 of 2 outcomes ... int or hammering Smith and breaking up the play. The result was statistically impossible ... it defies reality !

Oh and they give new meaning to Special teams! They blocked a punt that could have been a TD, should have been at least a Safty, and almost ended up a 1st down for the punting team???? and it's time for the Scottish hammer to go ... more like hammered on scotch !! Worst punter in the nfl
What makes you think the Giants are better than Washington?

What makes you think the Giants are better than Washington?
Neither is very talented but Offensively the Giants should have the Edge and Defensively it's about even ... Giants have the Coaching advanatage when they are not playing scared like they have resorted to over the past few weeks
Giants would have easliy beaten WAS if they did not go conservative last week

I would have probably agreed that was a possibility. I always thought the Giants talent has been better than the results. I would have assumed that The Oline was coming together (it's not) I would have assumed that Toney, Galloday, and Wan'dale were making big contibutions (they didnt)

We go into next year much worse off at WR then we were, Possibly no better at Oline then we were, Saquan has been a big disappointment and he is probably gone, the LBers are no better and probably worse then they were, Special teams is a disaster ... And overall the entire team has regressed since week 7

If they start 6-1 and go 1-8-1 to finish the season ... I do not consider that a victory at all. Not only did the Giants beat up on bad team but they beat up on bad teams that were struggling
Would they beat any of these teams if they played them right now?? CHI , GB , JAX, TEN, BAL, CAR or even HOU???
So I take it you're a glass half empty kinda person?

I just dont get this rebuilding excuse. If I saw a bucnh of young players playing good I wwould be excited but Aside from Thibedeux , what new players do you see that is encouraging heading into next season ??

I just dont get this rebuilding excuse. If I saw a bucnh of young players playing good I wwould be excited but Aside from Thibedeux , what new players do you see that is encouraging heading into next season ??
The rebuild is not an excuse,it's a reality. Rome wasn't built in a day,it's year one of a total rebuild that started in the front office. New GM,who is already shown he's an upgrade from the previous one. New coach in his first head coaching job learning as he goes,a huge upgrade there. Eagles are in year three of a rebuild,where they are at now has allowed their GM to go all out to win now. I was always ready to give this regime at least three years to make the team a playoff contender. Given where the front office was,the coaching,the talent and the massive hole they were in in regards to cap space. Year one of the rebuild is a huge success no matter what happens the rest of the way this season. Like my Dad used to say when we tackled a rehab of a room or in the Giants case an entire house. Wait till it's done before you say you don't like it.

The rebuild is not an excuse,it's a reality. Rome wasn't built in a day,it's year one of a total rebuild that started in the front office. New GM,who is already shown he's an upgrade from the previous one. New coach in his first head coaching job learning as he goes,a huge upgrade there. Eagles are in year three of a rebuild,where they are at now has allowed their GM to go all out to win now. I was always ready to give this regime at least three years to make the team a playoff contender. Given where the front office was,the coaching,the talent and the massive hole they were in in regards to cap space. Year one of the rebuild is a huge success no matter what happens the rest of the way this season. Like my Dad used to say when we tackled a rehab of a room or in the Giants case an entire house. Wait till it's done before you say you don't like it.
To me a rebuild would mean trading guys like Saquan, Leonard Williams, or Jones for draft picks ... they didnt do that.
I disagree that this is a complete rebuild ... the Gettleman team as bad as they were were rebuilding and put some pretty good talent in place.
Def - Williams, Dexter, Mckinney, Adoree jackson, Ojulari and Love ... Bradberry (who was let go for nothing)
Off - Jones, Saquan, Thomas, (Neal via trade), Toney (who was traded for pennies on the $)

The problem is no other holes were filled in this draft other than Thibereux and Bellinger ... They flopped at WR, Oline, LBer, and Corner which were the positions of need

Last offseason was about fixing the salary cap and adding in as many young players via the draft as they could. They went a long way toward fixing the first issue (cap) and they added in 11 players via the draft last year. As any NFL exec will tell you, the draft is a crapshoot, and the best strategy is to fire as many bullets as possible and hope some hit. Adding 11 players certainly accomplished that.

You can argue about how successful the draft was, but that seems foolish barely 1/2 season into these guys career (even less when you consider how much time some missed from injury). Neal has struggled, but so did Andrew Thomas his first year and see how he's come along. Thibs looks like the real deal, and it is ridiculous to ding Robinson who was coming along nicely before he met the Meadowlands Turf Monster and ruined his season. Anyone 3rd round and beyond is a work in progress at this point; Bellinger and Belton have made nice contributions, the others are wait and see. Not all rookies hit the ground running and play at ROY level from Day 1.

My only real issue with the offseason is the guys they did spend some $$ on, Glowinski and Feliciano in particular, have been beyond bad. Granted, they didn't spend a ton on them relatively speaking, but I have to believe there were vets out there who could play at a passable level which these guys have not.

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

Daboll said TE Daniel Bellinger is “pretty sore” today. Sounds like there’s some concern about this week. WR Richie James is in the concussion protocol.

As for players like DL Leonard Williams, CB Adoree’ Jackson and S Xavier McKinney, Daboll said it’s too soon to say for Sun.

Last offseason was about fixing the salary cap and adding in as many young players via the draft as they could. They went a long way toward fixing the first issue (cap) and they added in 11 players via the draft last year. As any NFL exec will tell you, the draft is a crapshoot, and the best strategy is to fire as many bullets as possible and hope some hit. Adding 11 players certainly accomplished that.

You can argue about how successful the draft was, but that seems foolish barely 1/2 season into these guys career (even less when you consider how much time some missed from injury). Neal has struggled, but so did Andrew Thomas his first year and see how he's come along. Thibs looks like the real deal, and it is ridiculous to ding Robinson who was coming along nicely before he met the Meadowlands Turf Monster and ruined his season. Anyone 3rd round and beyond is a work in progress at this point; Bellinger and Belton have made nice contributions, the others are wait and see. Not all rookies hit the ground running and play at ROY level from Day 1.

My only real issue with the offseason is the guys they did spend some $$ on, Glowinski and Feliciano in particular, have been beyond bad. Granted, they didn't spend a ton on them relatively speaking, but I have to believe there were vets out there who could play at a passable level which these guys have not.
Darrian Beavers (ILB - 6th rounder) also looked good in preseason before the ACL tear.

To me a rebuild would mean trading guys like Saquan, Leonard Williams, or Jones for draft picks ... they didnt do that.
I disagree that this is a complete rebuild ... the Gettleman team as bad as they were were rebuilding and put some pretty good talent in place.
Def - Williams, Dexter, Mckinney, Adoree jackson, Ojulari and Love ... Bradberry (who was let go for nothing)
Off - Jones, Saquan, Thomas, (Neal via trade), Toney (who was traded for pennies on the $)

The problem is no other holes were filled in this draft other than Thibereux and Bellinger ... They flopped at WR, Oline, LBer, and Corner which were the positions of need
This is year ONE of the rebuild,they can't accomplish everything they want to do in one year. They had 3 million in cap space this year,that's nothing in The NFL. Next year they are projected to have 77 million,third highest in the league. Moves like getting rid of Bradberry made that possible. Decisions on Barkley,Jones and a few others will come this off season. They are going to get younger and more talented. The NFL is about reults,as a Giants fan can you say the moves and talent Gettlemen made and brought in led to positive results? My answer would be no. Again I will say to you,wait until the house (rebuild) is complete. I'm going to enjoy a 7 1/2 win season,maybe one or two more,and know the future of The Giants is much brighter right now than it was at this time last season.

Giants need to fix the interior O-line. We are outmatched by the defensive fronts in our division. Can't win a division if you can't win against the teams in your division.

You can argue about how successful the draft was, but that seems foolish barely 1/2 season into these guys career (even less when you consider how much time some missed from injury). Neal has struggled, but so did Andrew
Thomas
his first year and see how he's come along. Thibs looks like the real deal, and it is ridiculous to ding
Robinson
who was coming along nicely before he met the Meadowlands Turf Monster and ruined his season. Anyone 3rd round and beyond is a work in progress at this point;
Bellinger
and Belton have made nice contributions, the others are wait and see. Not all rookies hit the ground running and play at ROY level from Day 1.

Neal had a rough start, then he started playing better, then he got hurt and he regressed. He will be fine.

While they missed on Glowinski & Feliciano as free agents they have hit on a few as well

Isaiah Hodgins
looks like a solid 3 or 4 WR

Fabian
Moreau
was playing fine opposite of Adoree
Jackson
(granted he has been exposed as a CB 1 since
Jackson
went down).

Jihad
Ward
has played well for the most part while Azeez was out

With the exception of this past game, this team has been watchable. As opposed to last year, where you knew exactly how they were going to stink up the joint. This year, they still are seriously lacking talent. It took years of GM malpractice to get to an overpaid roster that had holes everywhere. There was no way that the new regime was going to fax all of that in one offseason. Or even two.

The new front office picked up a couple of guys they knew? So what. Did they break the bank picking up a washed ex-patriot lineman? You know the one. The same one the giants abused in the Super Bowl? Nope. It was likely all they could afford.

This team started to,go,south when they lost coughlin over Reece. They finally have fixed that, or at least appear to, but you there was so much damn age done.

I’m happy with watchable. The big wins will come later.

If the Giants started out 1-6-1 and then ran off a 7-2 record to end the season but missed the playoffs ... I would think it was great and the team is heading in the right direction.
If they start out 7-2 and need and cant win 2 games in the final 8 to make the playoffs ...That is a huge disappointment. It doesnt show improvement, good coaching, grit or a winning atmosphere.

They have to win this weekend or somehow win 2 of teh final 3 games for this season to be a success

Ben McAdoo went 11-5 his first season and everyone was ecstatic ...

This is year ONE of the rebuild,they can't accomplish everything they want to do in one year. They had 3 million in cap space this year,that's nothing in The NFL. Next year they are projected to have 77 million,third highest in the league. Moves like getting rid of Bradberry made that possible. Decisions on Barkley,Jones and a few others will come this off season. They are going to get younger and more talented. The NFL is about reults,as a Giants fan can you say the moves and talent Gettlemen made and brought in led to positive results? My answer would be no. Again I will say to you,wait until the house (rebuild) is complete. I'm going to enjoy a 7 1/2 win season,maybe one or two more,and know the future of The Giants is much brighter right now than it was at this time last season.

Love Bradberry. He's a guy the Giants should have kept instead of blowing a wad of cap space on Kenny Golladay. IMO, the Giants would be well served to let Barkley walk. You can find a cheap FA guy to get by with. One more year of Golladay and you can get rid of him for minimal dead space. In the draft I'd want to take a hard look at all the first round OTs and if there is a guy I loved, I'd try and move up to get him. You have to solidify the OL as the #1 priority. In the middle rounds I'm drafting OL/DL. The game of football is won in the trenches.

Don't disagree with a lot of this, but they aren't going OT in Round 1. I'm sure they think Neal can solidify the right side with more NFL reps. Their weakness is interior OL, and those guys can be found in Round 2 or 3 along with FAs from their cap space next year. They need playmakers on offense and getting a cheap WR in round one would go along way for this team.

Don't disagree with a lot of this, but they aren't going OT in Round 1. I'm sure they think Neal can solidify the right side with more NFL reps. Their weakness is interior OL, and those guys can be found in Round 2 or 3 along with FAs from their cap space next year. They need playmakers on offense and getting a cheap WR in round one would go along way for this team.
This is where I would go as well. One of Johnston, Smith-Njigba, Addison or Tillman please.

Agreed, there is little chance of them going OT in Round 1. Thomas struggled in year 1. He is looking like a stud tackle now. I think he gave up his first sack all season this past week. They'll look for Neal to make a similar jump. The center of the line is a mess. This has been a massive weakness for years. Some if it is poor talent evaluation. Flowers? (granted not center of OL) But what a miss. Some of it has been poor luck. See Gates. It hasn't been due to lack of trying tho, like say at linebacker. I don't think anyone here disagrees that you build the team from the inside out. Some of the previous GMs however? Sometimesthey didn't walk that talk. Me, I want OL or DL first round. A good center or a strong guard.

I think Barkley is gone. I've always liked him, but he was a luxury this team couldn't afford. So many other glaring problems that need to be addressed.

I think Jones might be salvaging his career, but I don't he is long for a Giants uniform either.

I don't think the Giants wanted to ditch Bradberry. I don't think had the space to keep him. They were already saddled with Galloway. It wasn't a choice between the two of them. This is the position that lousy GMs put their teams in. It wasn't like the Giants didn't know what they had in Bradberry.

If the Giants started out 1-6-1 and then ran off a 7-2 record to end the season but missed the playoffs ... I would think it was great and the team is heading in the right direction.
If they start out 7-2 and need and cant win 2 games in the final 8 to make the playoffs ...That is a huge disappointment. It doesnt show improvement, good coaching, grit or a winning atmosphere.

They have to win this weekend or somehow win 2 of teh final 3 games for this season to be a success

Ben McAdoo went 11-5 his first season and everyone was ecstatic ...
I get where you are coming from with how they are closing out the season but you have to put some context around it as well.

The team didn’t have any depth to speak of entering the season and they have been hit with a rash of injuries since & sadly during the bye to starters

Xavier McKinney, Adoree Jackson, Leonard Williams, Azeez Ojulari, Daniel Bellinger, & Evan Neal

Until they can build the roster up you can't expect them to overcome injuries to that many starters. Heck I think that some of the backups to those guys are hurt too

The Athletic: Is the Giants season slipping away? 10 reasons why they have stumbled after a fast start (Part 1)

There’s no need to spend any time performing an autopsy on the Giants’ 48-22 blowout loss to the Eagles, because the cause was obvious: talent disparity. Instead, let’s pull back to examine why the Giants have only one win in their past six games after a 6-1 start.

Regression was inevitable

Even as the Giants were stacking up wins in the first half of the season, there was a sense their style of play was not sustainable. The Giants were winning one-score games each week, and it was going to be impossible to maintain that narrow margin of error all season.

The Giants’ lack of a potent passing attack always loomed as a potential Achilles heel. That’s proven to be the case as the run game has sputtered, and the Giants haven’t been able to throw when they’ve fallen behind during their skid.

This is still the same roster that most preseason prognosticators pegged for five or six wins. The coaching staff worked wonders in the first half of the season, but the lack of talent on the roster was bound to catch up to the Giants.

Lack of talent and depth

The Giants entered the season with major questions at several positions — tight end, offensive line, inside linebacker, cornerback. Those positions have remained weak spots, with the Giants trying to patch those holes with unproven young players and retread veterans.

Players who were nice stories early in the season, like cornerback Fabian Moreau, have been overexposed in expanded roles. The Giants have signed players off the street and they’ve instantly been installed as starters, such as tight end Nick Vannett and inside linebacker Jaylon Smith.

Players are available in October and November for a reason. And it’s not because they give a team an advantage against top competition.

Injuries

Defensive coordinator Wink Martindale has lamented the amount of injuries the Giants have dealt with this season and how that’s impacted the roster. Wide receiver Sterling Shepard and cornerback Aaron Robinson suffered season-ending knee injuries. Defensive lineman Leonard Williams (four games), outside linebacker Azeez Ojulari (nine games), cornerback Adoree’ Jackson (three games) and safety Xavier McKinney (five games) have missed significant time.

The Giants don’t have the depth to replace their few top-level players. Losing Jackson and McKinney has had a devastating effect on a defense that relies on man-coverage cornerbacks and a rangy safety patrolling the deep part of the field.

The rookie class has been decimated by injuries. Second-round pick Wan’Dale Robinson, fifth-round pick Marcus McKethan, fifth-round pick D.J. Davidson and sixth-round pick Darrian Beavers have all suffered torn ACLs. First-round pick Kayvon Thibodeaux (two games), first-round pick Evan Neal (four games), third-round pick Josh Ezeudu (three games), third-round pick Cor’Dale Flott (six games), fourth-round pick Daniel Bellinger (four games) and fourth-round pick Dane Belton (one game) have all missed time with injuries.

Even the Giants’ “healthy” players could be wearing down. Running back Saquon Barkley hasn’t been the same since injuring his right shoulder in Week 5. Quarterback Daniel Jones curtailed his running midway through the season while dealing with ankle and knee injuries.

McKinney’s accident

McKinney’s bye-week ATV accident in Mexico that resulted in three broken fingers cast a dark shadow as the Giants kicked off the second half of their season. McKinney hadn’t made as many splash plays as he did in his breakout second season (five INTs), but he was immensely valuable, playing every snap and serving as the defensive signal caller.

The impact of McKinney’s absence for the past five games has been obvious. The Giants ranked eighth in passing defense in the first eight games of the season, allowing 219.3 yards per game. They’ve allowed 247.4 yards passing in the past five games, which ranks 24th in the league.

Mostly playing as the single-high safety in Martindale’s man-heavy defense, McKinney’s range helped minimize big plays. The Giants allowed 23 passes of 20-plus yards in the first eight games, which ranked 12th in the league. They’ve allowed 18 passes of 20-plus yards in the five games without McKinney, which ranks 24th.

Belton was the first replacement for McKinney, but the coaches quickly determined that the rookie wasn’t ready. So Jason Pinnock, a second-year veteran claimed off waivers after cut day, has taken over as the every-down safety alongside Julian Love.

McKinney had the pins surgically removed from his fingers last week, but it’s not clear when he’ll be cleared to return. The Giants desperately need McKinney back, even if he’s limited by a club to protect his hand.

Saquon’s slump

Early in the season, Barkley ran like someone who had something to prove to the legion of critics that grew during three injury-plagued seasons. Barkley was a borderline MVP candidate as the catalyst of the Giants’ 6-1 start. But it’s not a coincidence the team’s downturn has coincided with Barkley’s production falling off a cliff.

Barkley averaged 5.5 yards per carry during the first five games of the season. Then he injured his right shoulder in the Giants’ Week 5 win over the Packers. Barkley has not run with the same authority since then, averaging 3.6 yards per carry in the past eight games. His 3.3 yards per carry average over the past six games is the second lowest in the league among 48 qualifying rushers.

Barkley has always been a boom-or-bust runner. He was booming early in the season, with 17 carries of 10-plus yards in the first seven games, which was the fourth-most in the league. His six carries of 20-plus yards in the first seven games were the second-most. Barkley has nine carries of 10-plus yards since Week 8, which is the 16th most in the league. His two carries of 20-plus yards is tied for 18th most over that stretch.

The absence of big runs has transformed the Giants into an ineffective rushing offense. They averaged 173.4 yards rushing in the first seven games of the season, which ranked second. They’ve averaged 117.5 yards since Week 8, which is ranked 18th.

Part 2

O-line struggles

The run game’s struggles don’t fall entirely on Barkley’s shoulders. He hasn’t gotten much help from the offensive line.

Injuries have played a role in the O-line’s issues. Left guard has been a revolving door since Ben Bredeson, who started the first seven games, suffered a knee injury. Ezeudu (two starts), Shane Lemieux (one start), Jack Anderson (one start) and Nick Gates (two starts) have stepped in during Bredeson’s absence. Neal missed four games with a knee injury, while center Jon Feliciano was sidelined for one game with a neck injury.

Even when healthy, the line has been subpar aside from left tackle Andrew Thomas. Mark Glowinski was expected to be a reliable presence at right guard after a signing a three-year, $18.3 million contract in the offseason. But Glowinski has allowed five sacks (tied for fourth-most among guards) and 28 pressures (eighth-most among guards).

The new regime imported Feliciano from Buffalo to serve as a stabilizing presence at center. But the veteran has struggled, allowing three sacks (tied for fifth-most among centers) and 20 pressures (tied for fourth-most among centers). Neal’s rookie struggles have been exacerbated by the time he missed due to injury.

The shaky blocking has had a detrimental effect on Barkley and Jones, who has been pressured on 44.2 percent of his dropbacks, the second-highest rate in the league.

Opponents have caught on

The Giants got by with smoke and mirrors on offense early in the season, perhaps benefiting from having a new coaching staff with no known tendencies. But play-action bootlegs will only fool NFL teams for so long. And it’s been evidenced in recent games that opponents are squatting on some of the Giants’ bread-and-butter concepts, like having a receiver run a slide route along the line of scrimmage as Jones rolls out.

Opponents also have increased their focus on stopping Barkley because there’s no fear of the Giants’ passing attack. With defenses using more run blitzes, 21.3 percent of Barkley’s carries since Week 8 have gone for no gain or negative yards. That rate was at 16.8 percent in the first seven games of the season.

Disappearing creativity

When the Giants were winning, offensive coordinator Mike Kafka sprinkled in enough creativity to provide a spark. Whether it was Barkley running the wildcat, multiple running back packages or trick plays in the red zone, the Giants gained an edge by keeping defenses on their heels.

Those types of plays have been missing in recent weeks. The Giants don’t have enough talent to score consistently by lining up and playing conventional offense.

Special teams woes

A team like the Giants needs to win on the margins. Special teams are one way to mitigate a talent disparity, but the Giants haven’t made plays in the kicking game lately.

Punter Jamie Gillan has been an adventure all season, hitting a low point with an illegal kick penalty on Sunday after dropping the ball before he punted it. The Giants also surrendered a momentum-shifting 66-yard kickoff return to Philadelphia’s Boston Scott.

The Giants created crucial takeaways on special teams early in the season. They recovered muffed punts in their season-opening win at Tennessee and in their Week 4 victory over the Bears. The Giants also forced and recovered a fumble on the opening kickoff of their Week 2 win over the Panthers.

Like most other facets of the team, the tide has shifted recently. Richie James’ two fumbles on punt returns contributed to the Giants’ loss at Seattle in Week 8. The greater consequence of James’ fumbles was that his ball security issues led to him being replaced by Jackson as the punt returner. Jackson suffered a sprained MCL in his right knee while returning a punt that has cost the Giants’ their top corner three games.

The competition has increased

The winning percentage of the Giants’ first seven opponents was .483. The winning percentage of their opponents in the past six games has been .564. Remove the lone team the Giants have defeated during this stretch, the woeful 1-11-1 Texans, and the winning percentage increases to .654.

Facing tougher opponents has had a direct correlation to the Giants’ decline. The road doesn’t get any easier, as the Giants’ final four opponents have a combined .654 winning percentage, which is the second toughest remaining schedule in the league.

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
It’ll be IR for Elerson Smith. He’s getting surgery for a nagging bone spur by his Achilles/heel next week, per source. Expected four-month recovery, so he’s obviously done for the season.

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21

The Giants are signing DL Ryder Anderson to the active roster, per source. He just had his third and final practice squad elevation on Sunday. Quite a journey for a player who made the team from a rookie minicamp tryout.

Users who are viewing this thread