What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 College football thread - That's A Wrap (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FSU board meeting tomorrow to discuss challenging ACC GOR. FSU really going to spend a billion dollars on legal fees, exit fees, and lost television money over the next 12 years? The B1G isn't even paying the west coast schools a full share. How much are they going to pay FSU to join for 12 years without any television rights? This should get fun though.
They may have some outside financial help I think.
From who and for what?

FSU board meeting tomorrow to discuss challenging ACC GOR. FSU really going to spend a billion dollars on legal fees, exit fees, and lost television money over the next 12 years? The B1G isn't even paying the west coast schools a full share. How much are they going to pay FSU to join for 12 years without any television rights? This should get fun though.
From who and for what?
Private equity and who knows. Word is also the big 10 will give them a zero interest loan.

The more I think about it, the more I think the TV angle is overblown. It's not like FSU is going to lose visibility on television sets. They are going to play 9 conference games where the B1G has rights to the team they are playing. It might come to be true that B1G can't up their price on contracts with the cable providers since they don't have control over FSU's rights, but does that matter much? Any game where FSU is playing out of conference on a competing network will be negotiated between the broadcast companies just like they are today. And that negotiation is between the networks. Then the networks pass the money onto the conference to decide how to split it up. The rest falls under the cable charges. What am I missing?

From who and for what?
Private equity and who knows. Word is also the big 10 will give them a zero interest loan.
Private equity is where NIL is going to end up, at least in the top 30 programs. PE gives the school access to a huge sum of money to buy the kids, and takes a share of the revenue. PE firms get a guaranteed revenue stream just like they do for owning portions of pro teams. And the schools get access to far more money, without the need to to beg , wine, and dine boosters to get it.. They still will, but PE will jump way ahead of the boosters as the primary provider of funds

From who and for what?
So the B1G becomes their bank to spread the payments out over X number of years likely where FSU is making the same as they are now, with harder access to the new playoff structure (FSU or Clemson is overwhelming favorite in the ACC every year) and all other FSU sports have increased travel costs? I'm fascinated to see how this plays out. Feels like it would be cheaper to wait for someone to blow up the NCAA and eliminate conferences/contracts altogether. If we were keeping with a 4 team playoff like it's been, I would totally understand the move but seems weird with a new 12 team playoff and all the money that will have to be paid.

From who and for what?
So the B1G becomes their bank to spread the payments out over X number of years likely where FSU is making the same as they are now, with harder access to the new playoff structure (FSU or Clemson is overwhelming favorite in the ACC every year) and all other FSU sports have increased travel costs? I'm fascinated to see how this plays out. Feels like it would be cheaper to wait for someone to blow up the NCAA and eliminate conferences/contracts altogether. If we were keeping with a 4 team playoff like it's been, I would totally understand the move but seems weird with a new 12 team playoff and all the money that will have to be paid.
This was a slow walk until they got left out of the playoff. Now it’s a race to go. I don’t really know all the details but they are completely done with the acc. It’s over.

From who and for what?
This was a slow walk until they got left out of the playoff. Now it’s a race to go. I don’t really know all the details but they are completely done with the acc. It’s over.
I get being pissed off at the snub. But with the new format, it will be easier to make the playoffs in the ACC than the the B1G or SEC for them. I hope they succeed in blowing the whole thing up though and let things fall out however they fall out.

From who and for what?
I get being pissed off at the snub. But with the new format, it will be easier to make the playoffs in the ACC than the the B1G or SEC for them. I hope they succeed in blowing the whole thing up though and let things fall out however they fall out.
I haven’t really been following this, but most years they’d probably be in the 2-6 range in the new Big10 and with the 12 teams in the playoff, it certainly seems like most years the Big 10 would get 4, if not 5 or 6 teams.

More than anything once the PAC 10 went poof, any of the arguments for staying in the ACC went poof as well as the travel is comparable. If they have to go out to Cal, they may as well go to LA vs San Fran. There’s no reason for them to stay besides money, and well that has a way of working itself out.

From who and for what?
They’ll be fine competitively in the big 10. The money payout is stark and staying in the acc hurts recruiting. You can’t sell road games against Boston college to kids with big sec offers.

From who and for what?
They’ll be fine competitively in the big 10. The money payout is stark and staying in the acc hurts recruiting. You can’t sell road games against Boston college to kids with big sec offers.
They want road games at Illinois or Rutgers? I get your point but at least use Penn St, Michigan and Ohio St compared to the top of the ACC. :)

Current TV deals.....B1G are getting between 80-100M a year and the ACC schools are getting 30M. Is there some sort of "performance" algo that gives top performers extra? If so, that puts FSU at what? 40M in the ACC? The $7B deal with the B1G starts in 2025 I believe....7 years.

From who and for what?
They want road games at Illinois or Rutgers? I get your point but at least use Penn St, Michigan and Ohio St compared to the top of the ACC. :)
Big 10 has those teams and of course fun road games out west now. Nebraska sucks but that’s an amazing atmosphere. Acc has Clemson, Miami and a few other ok places to play. It’s hard to tell players picking between Georgia and fsu they will see the same experience in the acc.

From who and for what?

Right. But games against Rutgers and Nebraska are different. Got it.

The more I think about it, the more I think the TV angle is overblown. It's not like FSU is going to lose visibility on television sets. They are going to play 9 conference games where the B1G has rights to the team they are playing. It might come to be true that B1G can't up their price on contracts with the cable providers since they don't have control over FSU's rights, but does that matter much? Any game where FSU is playing out of conference on a competing network will be negotiated between the broadcast companies just like they are today. And that negotiation is between the networks. Then the networks pass the money onto the conference to decide how to split it up. The rest falls under the cable charges. What am I missing?

It is media rights for all home games in all sports through 2035. B1G would not have rights to FSU home games against B1G opponents. The ACC would have those rights. Prior to any negotiations, which the ACC has no real motivation to support.

Current TV deals.....B1G are getting between 80-100M a year and the ACC schools are getting 30M. Is there some sort of "performance" algo that gives top performers extra? If so, that puts FSU at what? 40M in the ACC? The $7B deal with the B1G starts in 2025 I believe....7 years.

The issue for FSU to B1G would seem to be, if ACC refuses to give up media rights to FSU home games through 2035, why would B1G pay FSU a full share? Why would they pay them any share?

I anticipate your answer will be that the media companies will negotiate it out. But that is an assumption on your part. This situation is unprecedented.

It is media rights for all home games in all sports through 2035. B1G would not have rights to FSU home games against B1G opponents. The ACC would have those rights. Prior to any negotiations, which the ACC has no real motivation to support.
You can tell yourself this all you want but I guarantee you that will not be the outcome.

From who and for what?

Right. But games against Rutgers and Nebraska are different. Got it.
No, they’re not. Nobody said that. But the top end games are more impressive. I don’t know what that is complicated.

You can tell yourself this all you want but I guarantee you that will not be the outcome.

:blackdot:

Here’s how people who know things think it will play out.

FSU will challenge the GOR in court. They are very confident they have an out. At some point during the discovery process there will be a settlement that allows them to go to BIG with their full tv rights for a pricey sum. Whether the GOR is enforceable or not will not be settled which the ACC wants to keep things together. If it gets challenged in court and ruled invalid then there is chaos. That’s why the ACC will settle.

FSU will challenge the GOR in court. They are very confident they have an out. At some point during the discovery process there will be a settlement that allows them to go to BIG with their full tv rights for a pricey sum. Whether the GOR is enforceable or not will not be settled which the ACC wants to keep things together. If it gets challenged in court and ruled invalid then there is chaos. That’s why the ACC will settle.

I understand your words. I am skeptical the ACC will cave, since effectively letting FSU out means the dissolution of the ACC, meaning this is a hill they will (should) attempt to die on. We'll see.

The pricey sum is a different way of saying the acc gets money from FSU for their media rights. The mental gymnastics of whether the money comes yearly for 12 years or a lump sum or something is irrelevant. FSU will pay a lot of money to get out.

I wouldn’t believe anything FSU boosters are saying. They’ve been running their mouth for months with no action. Let’s see how it plays out.

The ACC isn't negotiating the dollars made on a broadcast. The networks are. When you have two schools guaranteed broadcast rights with their network, the networks have to work it out. Today, when Michigan goes to FSU and the contracts say that both have a right to broadcast, the networks negotiate the deal. More often times than not, the home team network gets to broadcast but then in turn pays the visiting team network.

This is why I said up thread there's more to this than just the relationship between the conference and their home network. Don't think that the networks and/or cable companies aren't coming to the ACC's door to renegotiate the established deals should the conference's flagship program(s) bail. They will. That will impact their network deal (almost certainly a reduction) over the same period.

I understand your words. I am skeptical the ACC will cave, since effectively letting FSU out means the dissolution of the ACC, meaning this is a hill they will (should) attempt to die on. We'll see.
This is happening either way. Whether it's now or 10 years from now or somewhere in between. The ship has begun to sink. This too will impact the negotiations.

Exactly, better to settle then let the courts decide.

I know the Duke lawyers would be happy to litigate this for years and tie FSU up in court While I have no doubt FSU can pay their way out it, there are also a lot of pissed off parties on the other side that will be happy to make this as hard for FSU and the Big 10; especially if it also means spiting UNC.

The only thing that might make this right is if ESPN somehow parlays this into CFP rights and pays off the rest of the ACC.

From who and for what?
Private equity is where NIL is going to end up, at least in the top 30 programs. PE gives the school access to a huge sum of money to buy the kids, and takes a share of the revenue. PE firms get a guaranteed revenue stream just like they do for owning portions of pro teams. And the schools get access to far more money, without the need to to beg , wine, and dine boosters to get it.. They still will, but PE will jump way ahead of the boosters as the primary provider of funds
What the ****? PE getting what revenue from what for what? You high bro?

From who and for what?
Are you under the impression that major college sports are not a huge money printing machine?

From who and for what?
Are you under the impression that major college sports are not a huge money printing machine?
And somehow private equity comes in to loan shark it?

From who and for what?
That’s what they do.

From who and for what?
That’s what they do.
Seems a stretch. A big stretch

These nil bros have **** you money. Don't need private equity in the mix. Concept is silly on several levels.

From who and for what?
That’s what they do.

These nil bros have **** you money. Don't need private equity in the mix. Concept is silly on several levels.
It’s coming to multiple programs in the next few years. It’s been detailed by multiple major CFB writers.

From who and for what?
That’s what they do.

It’s coming to multiple programs in the next few years. It’s been detailed by multiple major CFB writers.
Can I get a reboot of this operating system?

From who and for what?
That’s what they do.

Yea it sucks and is going to get even worse.

What's the ultimate goal, just 2 huge conferences (B1G, SEC)?

I would have thought the playoff system would have worked better with 4 or 5 major conferences with champs getting automatic bids and fill in the rest with other independents and some second place major conference teams. Are we really going to end up with 8-4 and 7-5 B1G and SEC teams filling the brackets? Seems much less interesting to me.

I would have thought the playoff system would have worked better with 4 or 5 major conferences with champs getting automatic bids and fill in the rest with other independents and some second place major conference teams. Are we really going to end up with 8-4 and 7-5 B1G and SEC teams filling the brackets? Seems much less interesting to me.

The bowl season was ruined years ago, and soon the all the tradition and excitement of the conference play in the regular season will be gone. People will continue to watch games and it will continue to be hugely profitable, at least for a while.

The bowl season was ruined years ago, and soon the all the tradition and excitement of the conference play in the regular season will be gone. People will continue to watch games and it will continue to be hugely profitable, at least for a while.
Yeah, I'm not dismissing the new system yet, necessarily, but I'm having trouble understanding how having just two super-major conferences works in this new playoff system of 12 teams?

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a bunch of 7-5 Iowa's and 8-4 LSUs matching up in the early rounds. I mean they could still be good games, just not interesting games.

From who and for what?
That’s what they do.

Its going to be interesting if/when traditional money comes into the picture because eventually they will take everything. The system kind of works now because the NCAA and conference fat-cats are able to grift so much easy money. Now that they have to pay players and there are real investors coming in, its really going to get interesting over the next decade. I also wonder about the role of traditional boosters. I've always thought these were mostly rich alumni who are mostly motivated by being involved in the program and bringing success to the teams, not necessarily looking for a financial return on the money they gave players and coaches. I'd expect these guys are likely less motivated to open the check book if players can be legally compensated through NIL channels and also now have much more flexibility to move around.

Yeah, I'm not dismissing the new system yet, necessarily, but I'm having trouble understanding how having just two super-major conferences works in this new playoff system of 12 teams?
Good point. When you had the P5 and G5, there was a good fit for an 8-12 team playoff. 5 P5 champs, a G5 slot or 2, and a few at-large bids.

If the P5/G5 become the P2/G8, it opens up a lot of spots for P2 also-rans just due to the perceived better draw of the superconference teams.

Also worth keeping an eye on this lawsuit West Virginia and a couple other states have pending against the NCAA regarding player transfers. The case involves basketball, but any ruling will presumably apply to all NCAA sports. The case regards players who have transferred a second time, and were therefor prohibited by the NCAA from playing this season. The court previously issued a TRO allowing those players to suit up and play, and had the matter set for a final hearing on injunctive relief on Dec 27 with the Court indicating a trial would happen before the end of the season. The parties reached a temporary agreement that put off the 12/27 hearing date, allowing the players to continue to play. All indications from my news feed are that the NCAA knows it will lose, and is just desperately trying to hang on to some control it has by reaching some middle ground settlement.

It was just a couple years ago a fantastic young basketball player from my community was told by the NCAA that he had to sit out an entire year because he had to change schools for personal reasons. Imagine being a young kid in your prime at the top of your game and having a year taken from you by these twats. Not really going out on much of a limb here, but I have been saying for some time all these restrictions and eligibility rules will soon be gone.

Our kids will look back on things like Tatoo-gate and similar incidents and that era will be so foreign and contrary to common sense it will be like us thinking about the Salem Witch trials.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing a bunch of 7-5 Iowa's and 8-4 LSUs matching up in the early rounds. I mean they could still be good games, just not interesting games.
This is what it would have looked like this year. Once you get beyond the conference champs, conference doesn't matter. It's all about the CFP rankings to fill in the rest.

Once you get beyond the conference champs

Are you saying just the SEC and B1G champs or which conference champs get auto-bids?

That doesn't look terrible but kind of what I was getting at with Ole Miss, Penn State or Missouri in there. I mean what about those teams regular seasons says that they should play for a National Championship.

I guess this system may devalue the regular season a but (but I suppose you can say that about a lot of sports), but perhaps the playoff games will be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread