What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (1 Viewer)

We got a win! Some plays/drives were great, and others were head scratching. Always running the ball into stacked boxes on 2nd and 10 was annoying. It seemed like the Raiders knew every time we were going to run it with Najee (aka every time Najee is on the field) and had a stacked box. We'd never audible to a pass, and would just gain -1 to 2 yards.

The defense played really well and got hamstrung by that terrible call on Minkah, it was close-ish, but not roughing. Watt was a beast as always, and Benton I think is going to be Hargrave 2.0.

Texans next week, might not be as easy as I thought. They looked pretty great today against the Jags. Hopefully going against a Rookie means our defense feasts.

I thought the Steelers played a pretty good game last night at home in Vegas. Pickett made a couple clutch good throws and that’s all they needed with the defense playing lights out much of the game. The offensive line was horrendous as usual and Pickett seems to be unable to hit anyone outside of the pocket (at least consistently). This seems like a disastrous combination. The offense in general still has a lot of work.

Aside from the D, I have to say that I’m very impressed with the special teams. The punter and kicker both appear to be positions of strength now? They also seem like a pretty disciplined unit. Not bad to be in first place with a winnable game coming up.

Matt Canada calls a jet sweep with a real jet.

Play calling looked vastly different yesterday, but it's not a great sign when the Raiders last place D kicks a field goal counting on getting the ball back with less than 3 min in the game. Against a decent offense, they'd be going for it on 4th down.

I thought the Steelers played a pretty good game last night at home in Vegas. Pickett made a couple clutch good throws and that’s all they needed with the defense playing lights out much of the game. The offensive line was horrendous as usual and Pickett seems to be unable to hit anyone outside of the pocket (at least consistently). This seems like a disastrous combination. The offense in general still has a lot of work.

Aside from the D, I have to say that I’m very impressed with the special teams. The punter and kicker both appear to be positions of strength now? They also seem like a pretty disciplined unit. Not bad to be in first place with a winnable game coming up.
I think this is a big reason we won, TJ Watt even said as much after the game. Steeler fans in the stands helps a ton.

I think it is time for the Dan Moore era to end. He just gets pushed around. Even if he isn't giving up sacks, the pocket pressure is an issue for Pickett.
If it was Big Ben a lot of those pressures would be sacks, Kenny is able to dodge some of the pressure.
If it was Ben, the ball would have been gone a second earlier. Pickett is holding the ball way too long. That is 50% of the line's apparent issues.

C.J. Stroud already looks light years better than Pickett. Wild. Some key Texans players look to be coming back and with JJ Watt getting his number retired it’s going to be rocking very hard this Sunday in H-Town 🤟🤙

C.J. Stroud already looks light years better than Pickett. Wild. Some key Texans players look to be coming back and with JJ Watt getting his number retired it’s going to be rocking very hard this Sunday in H-Town 🤟🤙
Pickett was the 20th overall pick in his draft. Stroud was drafted # 2 overall. Shocking that he is probably a more talented QB! If the Steelers were ever as pathetic a franchise as the Texans, I’m sure they will eventually get that franchise QB. 😉

I think it is time for the Dan Moore era to end. He just gets pushed around. Even if he isn't giving up sacks, the pocket pressure is an issue for Pickett.
I would like to see stats and tape or really hear it from someone who knows.. Not saying he’s good or the rook should not get some pt but what is reasonable to expect given who he has had to block.

Pickett was the 20th overall pick in his draft. Stroud was drafted # 2 overall. Shocking that he is probably a more talented QB! If the Steelers were ever as pathetic a franchise as the Texans, I’m sure they will eventually get that franchise QB. 😉
Agree to disagree. Zach Wilson was drafted second overall and isn't better than Pickett by your theory. Where a QB was drafted has little to no relevance in their success.

I get to go to the game! Super excited about this one!

Should be fun. Hope Texans win or lose Stroud keeps progressing. Would like their running game to improve and their defense vs the run. Will see.

Agree to disagree. Zach Wilson was drafted second overall and isn't better than Pickett by your theory. Where a QB was drafted has little to no relevance in their success.

I have to admit that I tried to fact check your last sentence and you’re 100% correct. I was surprised by that. Basically unless you have the first overall pick, drafting a QB in the first round is essentially a crap shoot. With that said Stroud is 3 games into his career so can we pump the brakes a little?

I have to admit that I tried to fact check your last sentence and you’re 100% correct. I was surprised by that. Basically unless you have the first overall pick, drafting a QB in the first round is essentially a crap shoot. With that said Stroud is 3 games into his career so can we pump the brakes a little?
Three games where they were either playing from behind or against teams whose defenses are either underperforming or their secondary is questionable? I think the Steelers are his first true test, and our starting CBs haven't been lights out (though our pass rush definitely is).

Big game to show if:
1. OL can start to gel even w/ 1 sub
2. Pickett can move forward without choking.
3. The D can continue to be that game changing unit and highly influence the win.

Big game to show if:
1. OL can start to gel even w/ 1 sub
2. Pickett can move forward without choking.
3. The D can continue to be that game changing unit and highly influence the win.
1. No
2. No
3. No

This is a stagnant organization but I expect zero change this week. But I do expect some wonderful sound bites!

terrible team, horrible QB, questionable WRs/RBs decent defenders, I dont see how Pitt isn't a 4 win team and Tomlin is on another team next season. Similar to the bungles coaching staff, front office

I would say it would be awesome to get a top 5 pick next year, but not with @@@@ show of a staff. They would reach for a backup LB with potential, lol

4th and 1 shotgun with no quick routes or play action. Fire him now.

pickett looks terrible. I hated that pick at the time but hoped to be wrong. Looks worse daily.
That pick, the Najee pick, this year's pick who is only capable of being a backup apparently. When does it end. Even Porter who only plays sparingly.

- As bad as the OC is, Pickett doesn't see things for some reason and likes to roll into defenders with his lack of pocket awareness..

- Meanwhile, Stroud is much better even after only 4 starts. It's easy to see that already.

- That Houston Oline was made up of spare parts and Greene, yet they controlled the trenches.

- Tomlin won't take the blame, but this is his vision of an offense. Make to mistake about it.

- Wallace and PP might be two of the worst starting CBs in the league. Porter should be starting even if he'll be flagged every game.

Spot on with Wall
- As bad as the OC is, Pickett doesn't see things for some reason and likes to roll into defenders with his lack of pocket awareness..

- Meanwhile, Stroud is much better even after only 4 starts. It's easy to see that already.

- That Houston Oline was made up of spare parts and Greene, yet they controlled the trenches.

- Tomlin won't take the blame, but this is his vision of an offense. Make to mistake about it.

- Wallace and PP might be two of the worst starting CBs in the league. Porter should be starting even if he'll be flagged every game.
Spot on with Wallace & PP. Why draft Porter and never play him, it's lunacy.

Failure at every facet today. If it were a typical Steelers team I would say that they bounce back next week against the Ravens.

However this offense is so truly awful, and this coordinator so inept, that I can’t see any hope of getting better.

Hope I’m wrong…

Failure at every facet today. If it were a typical Steelers team I would say that they bounce back next week against the Ravens.

However this offense is so truly awful, and this coordinator so inept, that I can’t see any hope of getting better.

Hope I’m wrong…
After watching today’s game, I think it goes deeper than the OC.

1. The line is bad. It’s a shame since they actually spent on it.
2. Pickett may be ok if the line were better. He’s not good enough to succeed in this mess.
3. They aren’t able to get Harris in any rhythm or run enough plays to get him going. With a better line, he’d be fine.
4. They really need Johnson back.
5. The secondary is serviceable with a good pass rush. They didn’t have that today.
6. Canada has to go.

Dobbs, Conner and the rest of Pittsburgh West looks so much better with 1/2 the talent. Not god min you, but still loads better than The Steelers

Hope I’m wrong…
After watching today’s game, I think it goes deeper than the OC.

1. The line is bad. It’s a shame since they actually spent on it.
2. Pickett may be ok if the line were better. He’s not good enough to succeed in this mess.
3. They aren’t able to get Harris in any rhythm or run enough plays to get him going. With a better line, he’d be fine.
4. They really need Johnson back.
5. The secondary is serviceable with a good pass rush. They didn’t have that today.
6. Canada has to go.

I thought the line got better last season to the point that they were average. I also thought the off-season moves would help improve it beyond that.

Boy was I wrong, this line looks worse than at the start of last year.

The standard is the standard, eh Mike?

The standard has been mediocrity for a while now, and it starts at the top. Ownership settles for mediocre coaching just so that they can maintain stability, and that attitude spreads to the team. Tomlin got complacent after winning early in his career with the team he inherited, and very little has been done well since around 2016 to make this team anything better than good enough to keep a meaningless non-losing record streak intact.

As fans, we're stuck with this for the foreseeable future.

The standard is the standard, eh Mike?

The standard has been mediocrity for a while now, and it starts at the top. Ownership settles for mediocre coaching just so that they can maintain stability, and that attitude spreads to the team. Tomlin got complacent after winning early in his career with the team he inherited, and very little has been done well since around 2016 to make this team anything better than good enough to keep a meaningless non-losing record streak intact.

As fans, we're stuck with this for the foreseeable future.
Pretty depressing being a Steeler fan. Nothing to look forward to while Captain catch phrase is coaching.

The sad thing is that I came in here wondering about the severity of the Pickett injury and apparently nobody even really cares. This is what mediocrity feels like.
Hopefully just a sprain. I believe it matters to get enough tape on KP for coaches to pull the trigger on a new QB. Also limit excuses to continue playing this dumpster fire Pittsburgh is trying to sell as professional football. Canada promotion was a big frog you to the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread