What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 Pittsburgh Steelers. Banged up team loses to Buffalo. Looking ahead to 2024 now (3 Viewers)

The sad thing is that I came in here wondering about the severity of the Pickett injury and apparently nobody even really cares. This is what mediocrity feels like.
Exactly right, it's not like it matters.
I agree with this. The Steelers have many issues on offense but it starts with Canada and the play calling. Until that changes I don't think it matters whether it Kenny, Mitch or Mason behind center. Does anyone know if Duck is available?

I am typically a big optimist for the Steelers and in the camp that still supports Tomlin because the grass isn't always greener, but it's getting harder and harder. I still think we win 8+ games this year, even with how poor our offense has been, so dreams of a top 5 pick seem implausible to me.

Kenny and the O-line have been really bad, but I still can't tell if that's just their ceiling or if the play calling is holding them back to that extent. It feels like the opponent knows what we're going to do on almost every play. Our WRs never seem to have quick breaks into open space, and I know that our WRs are capable, Pickens, Diontae, Austin, and Robinson aren't scrubs.

My hope, they ditch Canada during the bye week and show immediate improvement on offense which galvanizes the defense (who also played very poorly yesterday).

What I think actually happens? Nothing. Zero visible changes, just small stuff in practice that has little to no effect. Our D keeps allowing 24+ pts per game and our offense can't score more than 20 without significant help from the D, so we lose enough to be mediocre but not enough to be in the running for a top QB in the 2024 draft. We let Canada walk after the season and promote Sullivan to "maintain stability for Kenny" and the next 3 years are more of the same since Sullivan hasn't shown the ability to be a good OC at either of his previous stops.

I do not trust Tomlin to pick an above average OC. My only hope is that Khan picks the OC. The Steelers should have put a full court press on getting Bobby Slowik last offseason (like I hoped), he showed last week that he is a much better OC than Canada will ever be.

This season so far just makes me sad. When the Texans scored their opening drive TD, I said "Well this game is over" and it just felt true immediately.

Big game to show if:
1. OL can start to gel even w/ 1 sub
2. Pickett can move forward without choking.
3. The D can continue to be that game changing unit and highly influence the win.
1. No
2. No
3. No

This is a stagnant organization but I expect zero change this week. But I do expect some wonderful sound bites!

It is so hard to watch. The talent waste of TJ, Alex and Minkah on D and Warren on O is nauseating.
There is nothing cohesive anywhere on the team.

And I want to point out that Jaylen Warren is an EXCELLENT 3rd down back and my favorite Steeler right now. He literally defines 'bringing a spark'. No he is NOT an RB1.

We can only root for improvement now rather than outcome which is fine. That means heads gotta roll and until so...ugh.

Big game to show if:
3. The D can continue to be that game changing unit and highly influence the win.
1. No
2. No
3. No

This is a stagnant organization but I expect zero change this week. But I do expect some wonderful sound bites!

It is so hard to watch. The talent waste of TJ, Alex and Minkah on D and Warren on O is nauseating.

And I want to point out that Jaylen Warren is an EXCELLENT 3rd down back and my favorite Steeler right now. He literally defines 'bringing a spark'. No he is NOT an RB1.

We can only root for improvement now rather than outcome which is fine. That means heads gotta roll and until so...ugh.

The Pickett selection set us back 3-5 years. Wasting a defense. Should have gone with Trubiski, Rudolph, and Dobbs last year and gone QB in a deeper QB draft (like the 2023 or 2024 draft).

Big game to show if:
1. No
2. No
3. No

The Pickett selection set us back 3-5 years. Wasting a defense. Should have gone with Trubiski, Rudolph, and Dobbs last year and gone QB in a deeper QB draft (like the 2023 or 2024 draft).
The thing about the Pickett pick is that the process was actually worse then the result, which is bad enough.

My point is they basically seemed to pre-determine they were going to take a QB in round one. I have always felt that if Pickett was not available they'd have drafted one of those QB's who went in round 3, like Willis or Ridder, in round one.

We'll never know but I think Pickett might have been sitting around in round 2 or later.

Purdy, the last pick of the draft, is clearly better. Howell who did not have the benefit of playing much last year seems at least just as good and he was a 5th. Just a brutal process of drafting for need.

And the bad part....I think we are a long way, measured in seasons and not games, of them admitting the mistake.

ETA-I believe they took the same faulty process with the Najee pick. They went into the draft pre-determined to draft a RB in round one. If not Najee my guess is they'd have taken Javonte Williams, possibly ETN. Colbert's gone so can only hope so is that terrible process and it's not because Rooney or Tomlin dictated it. I wish I had more confidence that was the case.

Last edited:
Watt and Boswell earn their paychecks, not sure about anyone else. Its really a sad situation now. They are the Chubb injury from being 1-3, and McDaniels not knowing a TD and 2 pt is 8 pts from being 0-4.

Howell can zip the ball, Pickett cant. That last drive in regulation yesterday, Howell looked great, throwing darts.

I'd like to hear Big Ben's take on the O.

He had to live with it a year - although I'm pretty sure he just did whatever he wanted to anyway.

We’re averaging ONE offensive TD per game. The only teams we are outgaining in total offense are the Giants, Jets, and Bengals.

I still like Tomlin, but come on, Coach. What we’re doing isn’t working. Canada isn’t the answer and never will be.

We have over 3/4 of the season left. Do SOMETHING other than doubling down on stupid and feeding us more of the same. See Einstein’s definition of insanity for additional information.

I'm officially out ..... it was also a week i didn't get the game local (I don't buy Sunday Ticket)- I didn't even watch redzone. I checked my phone here and there for the score

I am typically a big optimist for the Steelers and in the camp that still supports Tomlin because the grass isn't always greener, but it's getting harder and harder. I still think we win 8+ games this year, even with how poor our offense has been, so dreams of a top 5 pick seem implausible to me.

Kenny and the O-line have been really bad, but I still can't tell if that's just their ceiling or if the play calling is holding them back to that extent. It feels like the opponent knows what we're going to do on almost every play. Our WRs never seem to have quick breaks into open space, and I know that our WRs are capable, Pickens, Diontae, Austin, and Robinson aren't scrubs.

My hope, they ditch Canada during the bye week and show immediate improvement on offense which galvanizes the defense (who also played very poorly yesterday).

What I think actually happens? Nothing. Zero visible changes, just small stuff in practice that has little to no effect. Our D keeps allowing 24+ pts per game and our offense can't score more than 20 without significant help from the D, so we lose enough to be mediocre but not enough to be in the running for a top QB in the 2024 draft. We let Canada walk after the season and promote Sullivan to "maintain stability for Kenny" and the next 3 years are more of the same since Sullivan hasn't shown the ability to be a good OC at either of his previous stops.

I do not trust Tomlin to pick an above average OC. My only hope is that Khan picks the OC. The Steelers should have put a full court press on getting Bobby Slowik last offseason (like I hoped), he showed last week that he is a much better OC than Canada will ever be.

This season so far just makes me sad. When the Texans scored their opening drive TD, I said "Well this game is over" and it just felt true immediately.
Slowik is another Shanny disciple that knows what an offense is supposed to be. Sullivan will just continue the Mike Tomlin vision of an offense, so that's not the fix.

The time has come for the MT supporters to understand that the comfortable feeling of consistent regular season finishes leaves us with no bright future to look forward to. He's a coach that depends on the talent to overcome his lack of understanding gameplans and X's and O's, and when he lacks that talent, it shows on the field. Ben covered it up for years, but he's gone now and the exposure of this coach's glaring weaknesses are becoming more evident.

Slowik is another Shanny disciple that knows what an offense is supposed to be. Sullivan will just continue the Mike Tomlin vision of an offense, so that's not the fix.

The time has come for the MT supporters to understand that the comfortable feeling of consistent regular season finishes leaves us with no bright future to look forward to. He's a coach that depends on the talent to overcome his lack of understanding gameplans and X's and O's, and when he lacks that talent, it shows on the field. Ben covered it up for years, but he's gone now and the exposure of this coach's glaring weaknesses are becoming more evident.
I think Tomlin is a goof defensive coach and motivator. He isn't an offensive coordinator and hasn't been very good finding a decent one. If the Steelers fire Matt Canada it is extremely unlikely that they bring anyone in from the outside. Even if they wanted to that would be quite an undertaking for anyone so they'll promote Sullivan who will likely be more of the same.

The only hope for this season is the players, particularly the offensive line and quarterback, start playing better and the defense to keep games close and even score some TDs.

I think Tomlin is a goof defensive coach and motivator. He isn't an offensive coordinator and hasn't been very good finding a decent one. If the Steelers fire Matt Canada it is extremely unlikely that they bring anyone in from the outside. Even if they wanted to that would be quite an undertaking for anyone so they'll promote Sullivan who will likely be more of the same.

The only hope for this season is the players, particularly the offensive line and quarterback, start playing better and the defense to keep games close and even score some TDs.
He is a great motivator which cannot be denied, but after that? The fact that Matt Canada is there in year 3 should tell you that this is the offense Tomlin wants. He believes pounding the ball with a strong D is the key to winning, but when the talent is not there, he has no answers. And when the better teams put up 30+ on his D, he again, has no answers. Tomlin does not want an independant OC, he wants control. Ben, with help from the D, carried this franchise for years into the playoffs until the better teams exposed them repeatedly.

The D cannot stop the better offenses in the league, and the O cannot compete with any of them as well. He depends on TJ to carry the D, and can't plan for when teams neutralize him. I watched the Texans do what so many teams have done before to TJ, and it worked yet again, and this time with a makeshift line. So as good as some say he is with D, why do they keep getting pounded when facing better offenses and QBs?

Tomlin is 100% dependant on getting the best talent he can and motivating them, and that's his coaching strength. Now he doesn't have the HOF QB to make him look good as well, and you see the results. The 6-2 run last season gave everyone false hope. DC's around the league had all off season to study Pickett and this offense, and now you see the results. The Texans knew the plays just based on the pre-snap looks.

That INT Pickett threw was the exact same shallow cross post deep shot they tried twice the week before with positive results, one being a TD. Texans were sitting on it for a reason.

You have to just let Sullivan call plays the rest of the season. Glen Thomas has a resume that looks like Canada's so I would fire him too.

Pickett had 3 first down options on the 4th and 1, if he would not have bailed on the pocket early and run into a sack. Had he stayed put or just slid to his left, he had Austin coming open for a gain of 10, then had Heyward and the RB just passed the first down marker. But he is scared and blew it.

Pickett had 3 first down options on the 4th and 1, if he would not have bailed on the pocket early and run into a sack. Had he stayed put or just slid to his left, he had Austin coming open for a gain of 10, then had Heyward and the RB just passed the first down marker. But he is scared and blew it.
His focus was on the right but held on to the ball for some reason, then he panicked when thinking Seumalo's block was going to slip past, only to spin right into a sack. All he had to do was step back, and he would have seen NH coming open on the left for a dump off. The kid has the same Yips he showed in college under pressure.

But that is also why it was a dumb call. Him panicking into a sack was very predictable. I would love the call if Ben was still around

You have to just let Sullivan call plays the rest of the season. Glen Thomas has a resume that looks like Canada's so I would fire him too.
This is the main reason we need to fire Canada by the Bye Week at latest, we need to confirm that Sullivan/Thomas isn't the answer. Otherwise, the next 2-3 seasons will be more Kenny with Sullivan or Thomas and it's not the answer.

Hopefully someone in-house can see the obvious and its not an echo chamber. Really worried we're in for another terrible in-house OC.

Take the time to read this loooooong extended twitter/X post that goes deep into the real issue, stability/loyalty is valued above all else within the Steeler organization.
----------------------------------------------------------------
LINK

Yup we know. Tomlin should be gone but that will never happen. I don’t know how anyone can defend him at this point. Canada should have been gone 2 years ago but that won’t happen either. Stagnant organization that won’t win anything anytime soon.

Totally agree with this, his pocket awareness is terrible and he runs into trouble/sacks frequently. Seems like this is something you either have or do not have - not sure that can be taught.

He is a great motivator which cannot be denied

I'm not even sure about this any longer. Why do they start slow almost every season? Why were they curb stomped by SF in week 1 and HOU in week 4. If he is properly motivating this group to start the season then the talent is just WAY less than it needs to be to be a competitive franchise. I mean, J. Dobbs and ARI hung with SF into the 4th quarter until SF pulled away late in the game... that's how you lose to better teams. Not come out so flat the SF offense makes jokes on twitter that they were rooting for the Steelers to get a first down so they could get some rest :lol:
And the only reason they are not 1-3 is Watt and Highsmith played out of their minds against CLE.

He is a great motivator which cannot be denied

I'm not even sure about this any longer. Why do they start slow almost every season? Why were they curb stomped by SF in week 1 and HOU in week 4. If he is properly motivating this group to start the season then the talent is just WAY less than it needs to be to be a competitive franchise. I mean, J. Dobbs and ARI hung with SF into the 4th quarter until SF pulled away late in the game... that's how you lose to better teams. Not come out so flat the SF offense makes jokes on twitter that they were rooting for the Steelers to get a first down so they could get some rest :lol:
And the only reason they are not 1-3 is Watt and Highsmith played out of their minds against CLE.
He's been slipping in that regard I agree, but if I had to give him a strength, it would be that. The rest, what can you do? This is the coach we have.

Take the time to read this loooooong extended twitter/X post that goes deep into the real issue, stability/loyalty is valued above all else within the Steeler organization.
LINK

Are the Steelers problems related to coaching or lack of talent? There's a saying, "It's not about the Xs and the Os, it's about the Jimmys and the Joes." When a team lacks talent, especially at the QB position, it doesn't really matter who the coach is. Bill Belichick and Andy Reid are living proof of this, you need good QB play to win in the NFL.

Not liking what I am hearing at all today from the inside.

Is there a legit chance they either fire Canada or replace him as playcaller if we stink the bed against the Ravens?

I would say yes. There apparently was almost a move made last season during the BYE. But they gave him a chance, and then they played well down the stretch, which saved his job.

But as of yesterday, it was business as usual with no changes forthcoming. Which is troublesome if they were acting like they were not just embarrassed the day before.

LINK

Are the Steelers problems related to coaching or lack of talent? There's a saying, "It's not about the Xs and the Os, it's about the Jimmys and the Joes." When a team lacks talent, especially at the QB position, it doesn't really matter who the coach is. Bill Belichick and Andy Reid are living proof of this, you need good QB play to win in the NFL.
Tomlin had Ben and a potent offense for many years. He was always outcoached in the playoffs (often times to inferior teams). Outside of a few players, they’re not a very talented team. But he is a huge part of the problem. Keeping Canada for 3 years is a fireable offense. But the ownership is set in their ways and will never get rid of him.

Bring on as many humiliating losses as possible. This organisation needs a reset.

An uninspiring, attritional trudge towards a 9-8 or 8-9 season does nothing more than secure another season of the same next year.

Perennial middle of the pack mediocrity is just about the worst place to be.

LINK

Reid has made wine from water when it comes to QBs. I wouldn't include him on that list.

It's not the Mike Tomlin or Steeler way to fire someone mid-season.

All you'll see is some changes in personnel, so don't get your hopes up.

Is there a legit chance they either fire Canada or replace him as playcaller if we stink the bed against the Ravens?

I would say yes. There apparently was almost a move made last season during the BYE. But they gave him a chance, and then they played well down the stretch, which saved his job.

But as of yesterday, it was business as usual with no changes forthcoming. Which is troublesome if they were acting like they were not just embarrassed the day before.
Thanks for sharing Leeroy. Thought some changes would be to promote the rookies and let them take lumps. At least they can learn while we work to right the ship. Also send a message to guys who aren’t performing. Step up or step off.

I really felt like we needed 2 OL minimum in the draft. Ideally 3. Would be huge to have Dawand Jones and one of the top centers. We did get some very good talent but nothing would improve the entire team more than build a dominant line.

Thanks for sharing Leeroy. Thought some changes would be to promote the rookies and let them take lumps. At least they can learn while we work to right the ship. Also send a message to guys who aren’t performing. Step up or step off.

I really felt like we needed 2 OL minimum in the draft. Ideally 3. Would be huge to have Dawand Jones and one of the top centers. We did get some very good talent but nothing would improve the entire team more than build a dominant line.
If we don't get a decent OC, it won't matter how good the talent on our O-line is. If the Defense can predict our every move, the O-line is screwed. Slowik made the Texans decimated O-line work and allowed 0 sacks.

I truly believe that if we had a good OC both our O-line and Kenny would look completely different.

I will keep refreshing sites throughout the season hoping to see the news that Canada is gone, but I have 0 faith that will happen, even if we lose to the Ravens 42 - 6.

If we don't get a decent OC, it won't matter how good the talent on our O-line is. If the Defense can predict our every move, the O-line is screwed. Slowik made the Texans decimated O-line work and allowed 0 sacks.

I truly believe that if we had a good OC both our O-line and Kenny would look completely different.

well, that is what we need in order to figure out if Kenny is the future or a stop-gap. Apparently him running into sacks is a bad habit he has had since college.

LINK

Reid has made wine from water when it comes to QBs. I wouldn't include him on that list.

He had McNabb, Vick, Alex Smith, and Mahomes. Wine to water, not so sure about that? Which QBs are you referring to? Vick had one year under Reid that was decent, but he was at the tail end of his career and wasn't good enough at that point to cover up Reid's flaws as a coach. Eagles fans were saying the same things about Reid that Steeler fans are saying now about Tomlin towards the end.

LINK

He had McNabb, Vick, Alex Smith, and Mahomes. Wine to water, not so sure about that? Which QBs are you referring to? Vick had one year under Reid that was decent, but he was at the tail end of his career and wasn't good enough at that point to cover up Reid's flaws as a coach. Eagles fans were saying the same things about Reid that Steeler fans are saying now about Tomlin towards the end.
Big difference bet/ Philly Reid and Tomlin IMO. With the exception of Tomlin's first year (where he inherited Ben and an elite defense), he's been a failure in the playoffs. Sure Reid never got the Eagles over the hump but damn did he get them close every year. What was it - 4 straight NFC championship games? Tomlin has typically been one and done every year and I honestly can't recall a single playoff game of his where I thought that he outcoached his counterpart. They're night and day IMO. Tomlin is so overrated because people see him as a strong, eloquent speaker and a great motivator. If you're getting outcoached every year when the games matter the most, how good of a coach are you? But his win/loss record is pretty good and I attribute a lot of that to Ben. :shrug:

LINK

Vick and Smith had their best seasons under Reid even after years with other franchises. I would say he's a much better offensive minded coach over either MT or Billy B, and much better with QBs as well. He's gone to the playoffs with 4 separate QBs which is no easy task no matter how one tries to slice it.

I get Reid's time in Phi had come to a close and he needed to move on, but if I'm to rate who is carried more by players, MT wins in a landslide. At least Reid can game plan and build a franchise from the ground up which again is not easy at all. What has Tomlin ever built from the ground up? What game plan do you see?

LINK

Big difference bet/ Philly Reid and Tomlin IMO. With the exception of Tomlin's first year (where he inherited Ben and an elite defense), he's been a failure in the playoffs. Sure Reid never got the Eagles over the hump but damn did he get them close every year. What was it - 4 straight NFC championship games? Tomlin has typically been one and done every year and I honestly can't recall a single playoff game of his where I thought that he outcoached his counterpart. They're night and day IMO. Tomlin is so overrated because people see him as a strong, eloquent speaker and a great motivator. If you're getting outcoached every year when the games matter the most, how good of a coach are you? But his win/loss record is pretty good and I attribute a lot of that to Ben. :shrug:
They were crap before Reid arrived and he built them into a top 5 team in the NFL for years. Yes, he couldn't get them over that last hurdle and thus had to go after 4 seasons without a playoff win, that part I understand. Tomlin is on 6 seasons and counting.

well, that is what we need in order to figure out if Kenny is the future or a stop-gap. Apparently him running into sacks is a bad habit he has had since college.
It's almost like they should coach him on how to improve that :wall:

Padded practices this week to solve all of our problems. I am starting to move off of Tomlin now like everyone else.
Yup, and he said no changes to play calling according to Brooke Pryor

Asked Mike Tomlin if there would be a change to division of labor among coaching responsibilities -- especially as it pertains to playcalling. Tomlin: "Not at this juncture."

Are some of you starting to understand now? It's about being more physical and beating your man and executing, no matter the play call.

Users who are viewing this thread