What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Atlanta Falcons Thread (1 Viewer)

Hmm.  No talk about this team at all.  Hopefully they'll continue to fly under the radar, as everyone believes they'll have a Super Bowl Hangover.  Not me.  This team has been building quality depth for a few years now. Outstanding drafts in the Quinn era.  They are bringing back all of the critical pieces of the offense.  I think the young defense is poised to be significantly better.  How much?  I'm predicting Top 10.  Top 10 Offense - Top 10 Defense and a deep playoff run.  It's football so anything can happen.

Hmm.  No talk about this team at all.  Hopefully they'll continue to fly under the radar, as everyone believes they'll have a Super Bowl Hangover.  Not me.  This team has been building quality depth for a few years now. Outstanding drafts in the Quinn era.  They are bringing back all of the critical pieces of the offense.  I think the young defense is poised to be significantly better.  How much?  I'm predicting Top 10.  Top 10 Offense - Top 10 Defense and a deep playoff run.  It's football so anything can happen.
No key injuries, an extremely high quality locker room (I'm told), very adept coaching staff with an insight on what it takes and improving players witling to be teammates- I cant see what will stop the Falcons.

No key injuries, an extremely high quality locker room (I'm told), very adept coaching staff with an insight on what it takes and improving players witling to be teammates- I cant see what will stop the Falcons.
I can see now its OC Sark - after the play mix against the Bears, unless this was a vanilla, dress rehearsal game for the real start of the season against the Packers in week 2....

I liked our draw before the Rams game and still do.  Young QB-HC and then if you win you get to play against Foles.  Offense has to play better and not settle for FGs.  All the talent is there still - the difference for me is Sarkisan.  We’ve looked out of synch all year.  And the creativity isn’t there.  The defense is going to have to carry us again this week most likely.

Brutal, just brutal.

----------------------

https://twitter.com/1970sNFL/status/979539475964596225

1970s NFL‏ @1970sNFL

FollowFollow @1970sNFL

December 17, 1972 vs. @Chiefs, @AtlantaFalcons RB Dave Hampton became the first Falcon to reach 1000 yards rushing in a season. The game was stopped & he was presented with a trophy. On the next play, he lost 6 yards, never got another carry, & finished the season with 995 yds

7:03 PM - 29 Mar 2018

Brutal, just brutal.

----------------------

https://twitter.com/1970sNFL/status/979539475964596225

1970s NFL‏ @1970sNFL

FollowFollow @1970sNFL

December 17, 1972 vs. @Chiefs, @AtlantaFalcons RB Dave Hampton became the first Falcon to reach 1000 yards rushing in a season. The game was stopped & he was presented with a trophy. On the next play, he lost 6 yards, never got another carry, & finished the season with 995 yds

7:03 PM - 29 Mar 2018
Nice find Bracie

did some searching and found this...

The remarkable saga of Dave Hampton

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/09/23/hampton

OK, you guys would know better than I...I hear Arthur Blank is a great Owner with the Players, but the one thing he's a stickler about is Contracts, to the point where it's his 'hill to die on' regarding renegotiation before a deal runs out...just how seriously are you fellas taking this latest Julio business?

I believe the 3rd time will be the charm this year for the Falcons.  I'll even give the people in Atlanta some hope why they'll be the first team to win a Super Bowl in their home stadium:

FALCONS 27, PATRIOTS 24

An honest question for some of you Falcons fans that follow the home team beat writers??     Has there been no interest in Eric Reid?  I'd think that a quality safety like him on the free agent market would be a no-brainer  to AT LEAST call in for a workout.  I'd even call it silly to NOT do so.

Falcons selected Clemson CB A.J. Terrell with the No. 16 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.  

There had reports the Falcons might trade up for a corner, but they got their man in their original spot. A five-star recruit and two-year starting outside corner for the Tigers, Terrell (6’1/195) earned first-team All-ACC honors as a true junior in 2019. He primarily played press-man coverage on the boundary but was afforded reps both in zone coverage and from the slot in his last two seasons. Most observers will cite Terrell's poor performance against LSU wideout and 2021 NFL prospect Ja'Marr Chase (9/221/2) in the National Championship game as an unforgivable blemish, but Terrell's overall body of work includes six interceptions and 20 pass breakups across 30 starts. His toughness also isn't in doubt, as he didn't miss a single start in three years. Terrell is probably more of a project than his draft position might indicate, but he should be in the line for Week 1. 

Apr 23, 2020, 10:10 PM ET

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said the Falcons selection of A.J. Terrell with the 16th pick was his number one head scratching move of the first round.

Terrell (6'1/195) had been mostly ranked in the 30-to-40 overall range and was consistently viewed as a likely Day 2 selection by most draft analysts.  Kiper Jr. explained his thoughts, saying "The Falcons reached for a need, plain and simple. He was way too inconsistent throughout the season and he didn't play well down the stretch. He has a tendency to get grabby." Terrell recorded 20 PBU and six interceptions over 30 starts and was rarely targeted, playing 9.4 snaps per target which stands as the highest snaps-per-target count in the country. Terrell isn't considered a ready-made Day 1 starter and will likely need some seasoning before he's ready to step into a starting role. 

SOURCE: Vaughn Mcclure on Twitter

Apr 24, 2020, 11:00 AM ET

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn have been relieved of their duties effective immediately per Atlanta falcons 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Falcons named Raheem Morris the team's interim head coach. 

Morris will replace Dan Quinn, who was axed Sunday after the Falcons lost to the Panther at home. Morris, 44, was 17-31 as head coach of the Bucs. Tampa went 10-6 under Morris in 2010. Morris has a chance, however small, of showing he's ready for another head coaching gig if the Falcons can prove at least respectable for the remainder of 2020. That looks less likely every week. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Oct 12, 2020, 9:46 AM ET

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports the Falcons have had "exploratory talks" with teams interested in acquiring Atlanta's No. 4 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. 

It's not all that surprising, considering the Falcons' first rounder is the last chance for a team outside the top-10 to move into range for one of the draft's top quarterbacks. Breer said his "guess has been that the Falcons will stick at No. 4 and take a quarterback, because I don’t think they want to count on picking that high again and this happens to be a really strong year at the position." A rookie would likely sit in 2021 while Matt Ryan, 36 in May, enters the stretch run of his Falcons career. With Deshaun Watson in legal limbo and seemingly un-tradable, watch for a QB-desperate team like the Broncos, Patriots, or Panthers to mortgage the proverbial farm to acquire Atlanta's pick. Moving outside the top half of the draft would of course mean the Falcons won't land Kyle Pitts. 

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, Carolina Panthers

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: SI.com 

Apr 5, 2021, 10:26 AM ET

I think there are certainly teams who could be suitors for Chase or Pitts too?  No?
Maybe. But the success rate of highly drafted WRs isn't good. Two hits, Evans and Cooper, in the last decade. 4 misses. The rest in between.

2017: Corey Davis (fifth, Titans), Mike Williams (seventh, Chargers) and John Ross (ninth, Bengals)

2015: Amari Cooper (fourth, Raiders) and Kevin White (seventh, Bears)

2014: Sammy Watkins (fourth, Bills) and Mike Evans (seventh, Buccaneers)

2013: Tavon Austin (eighth, Rams)

2012: Justin Blackmon (fifth, Jaguars)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arizonasports.com/story/2295499/the-5-last-nfl-drafts-wide-receivers-selected-top-10/amp/

Maybe. But the success rate of highly drafted WRs isn't good. Two hits, Evans and Cooper, in the last decade. 4 misses. The rest in between.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arizonasports.com/story/2295499/the-5-last-nfl-drafts-wide-receivers-selected-top-10/amp/
You aren't wrong but the data is somewhat misleading because a year prior AJ Green and Julio Jones were both taken in the top 10, which skews the number a little more.  You can argue for nearly every position there have been misses in the top 10 but I am just saying - Jamarr Chase and Kyle Pitts are clearly high level talents, checking all the measurables and eye test... No prospect is a guarantee... 

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Orlando Ledbetter reports Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith are now "aligned" on what to do with the fourth pick in the NFL Draft. 

Smith and Fontenot were reportedly not in agreement with how to handle the No. 4 pick. They seem to have worked out their differences, though we still have no idea whether they'll trade the pick for a king's ransom or use it to draft a QB or Kyle Pitts. Smith reportedly believes Matt Ryan has some good years left in the tank, indicating Smith might be opposed to drafting Ryan's heir apparent this spring. A passing attack headlined by Calvin Ridley, Julio Jones, and Pitts would be frightening. 

RELATED: 

Terry Fontenot

, Matt Ryan

, Kyle Pitts

SOURCE: AJC.com 

Apr 9, 2021, 11:55 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread