What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Buffalo Bills (1 Viewer)

Weird game. There's stuff to clean up with Allen and the defense, but the receivers except for Digg and Davis were responsible for keeping this one close. Shakir shows some promise, but we just have to have a better WR room next season.

So glad this game wasn’t the late one today because it’s gonna be about 2+ hours before my adrenaline and blood pressure come back down. The Bills need to take better care of the ball. Period.

Weird game. There's stuff to clean up with Allen and the defense, but the receivers except for Digg and Davis were responsible for keeping this one close. Shakir shows some promise, but we just have to have a better WR room next season.
As shown by the first quarter, there's no way this game should have been this close. Oh, well. A win is a win.

As shown by the first quarter, there's no way this game should have been this close. Oh, well. A win is a win.
The lack of a pass rush is concerning for the defense. The Dolphins were banged up pretty good on the O-line and Buffalo got very little pressure against a 3rd string QB. That is problematic. They really really miss Von Miller. Heck, even last year they still had a pretty decent Jerry Hughes.

The turnovers are really the only concern on offense. They put up 34 points and I think we all agree played a pretty meh game offensively.

Figures that the Bills got the Sunday 3pm slot. The one thing I have a commitment for this weekend that will prevent me from watching. Maybe it’s best for my blood pressure anyway.

I think the keys for a Bills win is to win the turnover battle and take advantage of Cinci’s O-line injuries and speed up Burrow.

I think the keys for a Bills win is to win the turnover battle and take advantage of Cinci’s O-line injuries and speed up Burrow.
For the season, Buffalo is even with 27 total takeovers and give-aways. Cincinatti is plus six. BUT, their injuries on the OL could even things out.

Figures that the Bills got the Sunday 3pm slot. The one thing I have a commitment for this weekend that will prevent me from watching. Maybe it’s best for my blood pressure anyway.
Sorry, man. It would drive me insane to have to miss a playoff game. Like, I would cancel all sorts of personal and work-related stuff for this.

That said, I like our time slot. Win or lose, I'll have a few hours to decompress before I need to go to bed. I need that. Seriously, I am at the point where I need to schedule Monday off if we play Sunday night because I can't get to bed until well after midnight.

...I would cancel all sorts of personal and work-related stuff for this.

I am at the point where I need to schedule Monday off if we play Sunday night because I can't get to bed until well after midnight.
I am 100% with you on all of this.

In this week's situation, I even like that KC plays Saturday. I won't have to deal with the wow-we-won-now-what-if-Jax-wins stress.

After reading Joe Buscaglia’s interview with Micah Hyde, I think there’s a very small chance Hyde gets cleared for the Super Bowl if they make it, but only a very small chance. He isn’t even allowed making contact at this point and there doesn’t seem to be an actual plan or timeline for when that will be allowed.

After reading Joe Buscaglia’s interview with Micah Hyde, I think there’s a very small chance Hyde gets cleared for the Super Bowl if they make it, but only a very small chance. He isn’t even allowed making contact at this point and there doesn’t seem to be an actual plan or timeline for when that will be allowed.
Assuming this is true, I think it's time to have a conversation about why this coaching staff is so invested in messing with fan expectations. This goes back to how they super-slow-walked Tre's comeback while making it sound like it was right around the corner back in July.

Assuming this is true, I think it's time to have a conversation about why this coaching staff is so invested in messing with fan expectations. This goes back to how they super-slow-walked Tre's comeback while making it sound like it was right around the corner back in July.
IMO, I think there are 2 different situations there.

With White I think that it was more about White not being mentally ready for a good chunk of that. I don’t think they anticipated that.

With Hyde, I think it’s about him being around the team giving them a boost and trying to get him up to speed in the very small case he can actually be able to play in the Super Bowl as he is by far their best option at FS.

In both cases, I feel like the team was fairly honest the entire way. It was more the fans that just started jumping to conclusions and making assumptions about when they’d be back. The Bills have consistently been very conservative with injuries, so it really shouldn’t be super surprising when it takes longer than what fans want for players to be cleared to play.

fans are stupid with unrealistic expectations
they act like every decision of the team needs to be run by them and approved
what else is there to know

We sure picked a bad week to play our worst game of the season. At least we won't have to spend the next six months agonizing over one series.

Hats off to the Bengals though. The three best teams in the NFL this year are the Bengals, Bills, and Chiefs. The best NFC team is in fourth place in our conference. I wouldn't have thought any less of the Bengals if this game had gone the other way, and I don't think less of the Bills now even if I'm unhappy with the result. I'll happily root for Cincinnati the rest of the way. Class franchise.

What a horrible way to end the season. I really hope Dorsey isn't back next year.
Just basically said the same thing in the game thread. He made zero adjustments all season and never did a thing to make things easier for Allen and the offense. Teams started doubling Diggs about halfway through the season, or even fake doubling him, and it straight up eliminated him. Zero adjustments to scheme open their best WR. Zero answers to heavy pressure.

The sad thing is that we both know they’re not firing Dorsey.

They have a LOT of holes next year to fill and not a lot of resources to fill them. The O-line is still a mess. Their receivers aren’t good enough. The D-line isn’t good enough despite investing a TON of resources. Edmunds ks going to get a huge contract somewhere and likely won’t be back. Poyer will get more than they want to give him and he won’t be back. They’ll probably pay Ed Oliver too much even though he hasn’t been a difference maker at all. The #2 CB spot is a total question mark.

This team will look very different next year and it likely will have even more holes than they have now. If the coaching and gameplanning can’t significantly improve, they are in a lot of trouble IMO. Josh Allen can make them competitive, but they will have a very hard time beating top teams consistently.

We'll be extremely competitive next year and probably win the division again, but yeah our short-term trajectory is somewhat downward. Our recent drafts are looking worse after this season than they did back in training camp.

Hurts more & more how we pissed away last year. Team was rolling - most especially the O. Daboll ended up being a huge loss. Josh & O took step back when we thought they'd just keep motoring like KC. We still have OL issues while Cincy took that from a big weakness to plugging in 3 new starters in last 3 wks & didn't miss a beat. Of course having 2 #1 level WRs & a stud RB help.

Was noted how good Cincy is at start & we still looked clueless, not ready to play. That's on the coaches. Still you can't overlook what this team has had to deal with over the past 6 wks that may have finally caught up to them.

We'll be extremely competitive next year and probably win the division again, but yeah our short-term trajectory is somewhat downward. Our recent drafts are looking worse after this season than they did back in training camp.

First/Second round picks over the last 4 years:

2022: Elam/Cook
2021: Rousseau/Basham
2020: Epenesa
2019: Oliver/Ford

Rousseau shows promise but is a #2 DE type guy so far. Cook shows promise but they didn’t trust him because they never trust rookies and didn’t use him to his potential. Zero impact players otherwise. You can’t whiff on that many top picks and not have it impact your team. They are in a lot of trouble if they don’t knock it out of the park this next draft. And even if they do, it won’t matter next year because McDermott simply won’t trust rookies to play enough their first year anyway. Let’s be honest, even Sauce Gardner would have split reps all year if he were a Bill.

Very frustrated all around right now. McDermott and Beane need to take a hard look from top to bottom; both roster and coaching staff.

IMO, one of the major things they need to change on the coaching side, no matter who the coaches are, is who they are versus who they want to be. Seemed like they operated far too much based on who/what they wanted to be instead of being realistic and operating based on who they actually were.

Rousseau shows promise but is a #2 DE type guy so far. Cook shows promise but they didn’t trust him because they never trust rookies and didn’t use him to his potential. Zero impact players otherwise. You can’t whiff on that many top picks and not have it impact your team. They are in a lot of trouble if they don’t knock it out of the park this next draft. And even if they do, it won’t matter next year because McDermott simply won’t trust rookies to play enough their first year anyway. Let’s be honest, even Sauce Gardner would have split reps all year if he were a Bill.

Very frustrated all around right now. McDermott and Beane need to take a hard look from top to bottom; both roster and coaching staff.

IMO, one of the major things they need to change on the coaching side, no matter who the coaches are, is who they are versus who they want to be. Seemed like they operated far too much based on who/what they wanted to be instead of being realistic and operating based on who they actually were.
Strongly agree on all your points regarding the draft. That's exactly what I had in mind. A few pretty good players and a bunch of projects. That's nowhere near enough.

Our recent drafts are looking worse after this season than they did back in training camp.
I'm not as 'out' on the 2022 draft as some of you. I think Elam and Shakir definitely have a place in this league, and Benford has a shot, too.

I'm still not sold on Cook, though. If they go into next season with Cook as the #1 I'll be really worried. He doesn't seem to have the toughness to be a really good RB. Singletary is still the better RB in my book. Look at the numbers. Pretty sure he has better YPC in a vast majority of the games.

Strongly agree on all your points regarding the draft. That's exactly what I had in mind. A few pretty good players and a bunch of projects. That's nowhere near enough.
They haven’t drafted a guy who has made the Pro Bowl in 4 years.

Both the offense and defense seem like they feel like they always have the better players and they can let their better players go out and win the games. But when you haven’t drafted a Pro Bowler in 4 years, most of your picks are replacement level at best, and your free agency signings are subpar or keep getting hurt, then it’s a recipe for disaster thinking you can just win by superior talent.

Pretty sure he has better YPC in a vast majority of the games.
Ack. Just looked at the regular season numbers. Cook had a better YPC on the season by a good bit. I'm probably wrong on the previous statement, but I swear I looked at many box scores and saw Motor with a better YPC in the game.

Either way, I'm not confident in Cook just yet.

Ack. Just looked at the regular season numbers. Cook had a better YPC on the season by a good bit. I'm probably wrong on the previous statement, but I swear I looked at many box scores and saw Motor with a better YPC in the game.

You guys are obviously closer to it, but they didn’t seem to cut back much on Allen’s rushing duties this year as planned. Granted, hard to go away from that rushing as a huge weapon, but also seems like they could use more balance on offense.

There’s a reasonable chance Bijan Robinson may be there for them in the 1st - do you think they would take that plunge?

You guys are obviously closer to it, but they didn’t seem to cut back much on Allen’s rushing duties this year as planned. Granted, hard to go away from that rushing as a huge weapon, but also seems like they could use more balance on offense.

There’s a reasonable chance Bijan Robinson may be there for them in the 1st - do you think they would take that plunge?
They NEED to go OL.

Look at this game... Bengals OL was all beat up, and the Bills OL was the one giving up immediate pressure all game.

Just got home, here are my thoughts:

Fraser - his defensive scheme doesn’t work against top passing teams. You need to press the WRs, the top QBs get the ball out quick and the Bills defenders are 5-8 yards off. Easy gains of 6-12 yards all day. It is great against lesser teams who can’t hit those throws with high % but the good QBs can.

Dorsey - The Bills offense should have been using those exact routes against pressure. Instead his only answer to pressure was deep balls. What a disaster. Would love if he was dumped but maybe he will learn for next year.

Dline - Two firsts and two seconds on the field against backups and they got almost no pressure and gashed in the run game. It doesn’t seem like Beane knows how to draft Dlinemen.

Oline - Similar story although at least they aren’t high draft picks. They got destroyed today.

They have crushed draft picks at LB and secondary. QB obviously. But outside of those positions it doesn’t seem like they have a high success rate.

I will say, I think Oliver is a player. The replays of the game today showed the Bengals repeatedly double-teaming him. He commanded 2 blockers all day - someone else on the DL needed to win a 1v1, and no one could.

We sure picked a bad week to play our worst game of the season. At least we won't have to spend the next six months agonizing over one series.

Hats off to the Bengals though. The three best teams in the NFL this year are the Bengals, Bills, and Chiefs. The best NFC team is in fourth place in our conference. I wouldn't have thought any less of the Bengals if this game had gone the other way, and I don't think less of the Bills now even if I'm unhappy with the result. I'll happily root for Cincinnati the rest of the way. Class franchise.
No way all 3 of those teams are better than Philly. Philly is the most complete team in football.

As an outsider looking in, the Bills inability to develop a consistent running game looks to be a killer for them in games where they struggle throwing it. I know Josh Allen is a helluva playmaker, but no offenses get deep in the playoffs consistently being a 1-man show. You need balance.

And defense has been their issue in the last two playoff runs. Consider that in their last three playoff games, they got annihilated by the Chiefs late, let up 24 on defense to Miami's 3rd string QB, and got torched today by the Bengals in the snow.

It is hard to win the postseason when you cannot run the ball or play good defense.

No way all 3 of those teams are better than Philly. Philly is the most complete team in football.
All three of those teams would be favored over Philadelphia on a neutral field, and I agree with the betting public in this case. You're free to disagree of course. The Eagles are certainly a solid team.

All three of those teams would be favored over Philadelphia on a neutral field, and I agree with the betting public in this case. You're free to disagree of course. The Eagles are certainly a solid team.
I disagree but curious if there is a way to determine whether the bolded is accurate. Do they make lines for hypothetical matchups? The Eagles do not really have a weakness at all. You can't say the same about the 3 AFC teams. KC would likely be favored if Mahomes was healthy but he's not. I doubt the Bills or Bengals would be favored on a neutral field.

I agree with you and I think the difference is QB for those 4. Hurts has been great this season but I don't think most put him close to the Mahomes, Allen and Burrow category (yet).

I disagree but curious if there is a way to determine whether the bolded is accurate. Do they make lines for hypothetical matchups? The Eagles do not really have a weakness at all. You can't say the same about the 3 AFC teams. KC would likely be favored if Mahomes was healthy but he's not. I doubt the Bills or Bengals would be favored on a neutral field.
This is all kind of an irrelevant sidebar, but I'm talking about hypothetical "full strength" matchups. Obviously KC is favored over Philadelphia if everyone is healthy. I mean, come on now.

I agree with you and I think the difference is QB for those 4. Hurts has been great this season but I don't think most put him close to the Mahomes, Allen and Burrow category (yet).
Hurts doesn't have to be as good as those other 3 because the team around him is so good. There isn't a weakness on that team. Anyways not a big deal to me so I'll stop as to not derail this thread further.

Another Bills thought: it feels like they did need to get someone in there who can coach the hell of Allen. Dabell left and Allen got reckless this season. As great as Allen is and as many plays as he makes, he commits too many turnovers. They need a QB coach who can coach him to play smarter and safer, while still emphasizing his aggressive mentality. Not easy to pull off, but it can be done.

Hurts doesn't have to be as good as those other 3 because the team around him is so good. There isn't a weakness on that team. Anyways not a big deal to me so I'll stop as to not derail this thread further.

Philly is really, really good and they may win the SB but they haven't faced somebody as good as the AFC big 3 really all season. I think Dallas is probably the best team they've played all season - maybe Jacksonville?? It will be a decent step up for them if/when they play KC/Cin. Assuming Mahomes is healthy-ish I would expect Phi to be like a 1-2 pt. dog to either.

I will say, I think Oliver is a player. The replays of the game today showed the Bengals repeatedly double-teaming him. He commanded 2 blockers all day - someone else on the DL needed to win a 1v1, and no one could.
Agreed. We're presumably going to have to make some choices about which free agents to re-sign, and Oliver is still my top priority, personally. Obviously it depends on money. If I was given the choice between "Edmunds on a cheap, team-friendly deal" vs. "Oliver on a market-setting deal" I'd probably opt for Edmunds. But assuming we're talking about normal positional salaries, DTs are had to find and Oliver is a good one. He needs other pass rushers to play his best, but that's true of pretty much everybody at that position, and he was very effective this year when Von was in the lineup.

Going beyond Oliver, I've warmed up a lot to Edmunds this year. I know it was a contract year, but still. I was okay with letting him walk at the start of the season. Now I'd like to make a run at bringing him back.

I'm opposed to re-signing Poyer unless its some kind of bargain deal. The Belichickian move here is to let him walk one year too early instead of committing to a 31 year-old safety. A bit hard-hearted, but that's football.

I assume Singletary will get an offer that we shouldn't match. I would rather blow a mid-round pick on a RB every couple of years than sign a FA at market rates. Obviously I'd welcome Singletary back if wants to give a home town discount, but that goes for almost everybody.

Another Bills thought: it feels like they did need to get someone in there who can coach the hell of Allen. Dabell left and Allen got reckless this season. As great as Allen is and as many plays as he makes, he commits too many turnovers. They need a QB coach who can coach him to play smarter and safer, while still emphasizing his aggressive mentality. Not easy to pull off, but it can be done.
It's hard to parse out how much of this is Allen and how much of it is Dorsey. I don't watch the all-22, but people who do tell me that Dorsey isn't giving Allen many options. Lots of plays are designed to either be dump-offs or bombs, with no short or intermediate options.

The lack of a consistent slot receiver hurt a lot too. Our only option for working the short part of the field was Knox most of the year, because McKenzie can't be relied upon, because Shakir was a rookie, and because Cook was a rookie. This team never had a guy like Cole Beasley, who last year could be counted on to move the chains when needed. Ironically, Cole Beasley ended up being our best replacement for Cole Beasley. If Dorsey comes back, I hope he spends the offseason figuring out how to incorporate our RBs in the passing game, which we were all led to believe was going to be a thing this year but ended up totally not happening.

I wouldn't be worried if I were a Bills fan. You have a phenomenal team.
I agree.

Moving forward, establish a power run game / enhance run blocking. Beef up the secondary. Swap out Davis and McKenzie for more consistent players.

Edit: oh and reload the pass rush...is Miller done or is he part of the forward solution?

When I look at the teams left, all except KC are loaded at the skill positions.

Buffalo relies to much on Allen to be perfect.

Philly has brown smith goedert and the best line in football

San Fran is loaded everywhere

The bengals oline isn’t great but they have the best 3 wrs on a team in the league.

With a quarterback like Allen I think the play is to invest in the offense. If we had gone out and gotten AJ brown like the eagles did I’m wondering how this year would’ve turned out

There were more turnovers this year by Josh. But FWIW his pff grade actually went up from 86.6 to 91.6, higher than in 2020. My guess is that he made more big plays this year, at least I saw many in the 2 regular season games versus MIA. I am surprised that CIN shut down the running game completely, there were no splash plays by Allen or Cook on the ground, nothing over 8 yards. That might be a first this season. But 30 first downs by CIN ... it was a total team defeat which I think is giving hope to MIA and NYJ. Miami needs Tua to stay healthy, a huge if, plus get healthy on defense and plug a few holes. The Jets just need to get a better QB, which may not be easy.

Haven't gone through all the posts, but to me, Buffalo needs to stop ignoring the RB position. They passed on Hall and Walker.
This team is much better with one of those two leading the way.

I think Buffalo should have educated CIN that all future playoff games have their tickets sold in advance and the potential Atlanta game wasn’t an outlier. 😂

Because the Bengals clearly used that game as an emotional boost. I don’t think their talent across both lines is as dominant as the performance was yesterday.

I think Buffalo should have educated CIN that all future playoff games have their tickets sold in advance and the potential Atlanta game wasn’t an outlier. 😂

Because the Bengals clearly used that game as an emotional boost. I don’t think their talent across both lines is as dominant as the performance was yesterday.
It’s the playoffs. Teams shouldn’t need an emotional boost. If the Bengals won because they manufactured themselves an emotional
Boost and the Bills couldn’t, then that’s a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread