What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. Tyler meet Tyler… also did you meet Tyler??? (4 Viewers)

I know the perception of Jerry is he's a free spender, old and wants nothing more then to win a SB before his time is up which is why some might find this thread interesting:https://twitter.com/JoeyIckes/status/1771297616850026678

The part of me that hates the Cowboys loves this but the part of me that loves sports died a little. What a depressing thing. Imagine having billions of dollars, owning a professional sports team that’s been in your family your whole life, and all you care about is getting another billion.

I know the perception of Jerry is he's a free spender, old and wants nothing more then to win a SB before his time is up which is why some might find this thread interesting:https://twitter.com/JoeyIckes/status/1771297616850026678

The part of me that hates the Cowboys loves this but the part of me that loves sports died a little. What a depressing thing. Imagine having billions of dollars, owning a professional sports team that’s been in your family your whole life, and all you care about is getting another billion.

Yea and honestly I hate it to hear but don't find it surprising. I've met Jerry a few times since then, and once before, and got in his suite for end of a game a long time ago due to mutual friends of his youngest son. They lost and I expected him to be angry and maybe even at some point look over at me and ask who the hell I was sitting up in his suite. I was even trying to lay low(and stuck out like a sore thumb because I was under dressed, every single person was wearing a suit jacket and pants and I was in a pullover and jeans).

Anyway dude was all smiles. Stuffed his face with a hotdog, sat next to me at his bar in his suite and asked what I thought of the place, flashed us a huge grin when we left and thanked us for coming. A real gracious host, always is, I want to give him credit for that but he did not seem the least bit bothered and it was an important loss, 20-17 and dropped them to 8-5. I remember telling my friends afterwards that I get angrier when I lose a fantasy football game, this dude did not seem to give AF. They were all reminding me that he won today no matter what, new stadium, packed house, big day financially. Kind of like what you are saying I found it a bit depressing, I had hoped he'd care more about actually losing. Just remember that being the first time I started to think pro owners might not care about winning as much I assumed, that it might be more the secondary goal.

Yea and honestly I hate it to hear but don't find it surprising. I've met Jerry a few times since then, and once before, and got in his suite for end of a game a long time ago due to mutual friends of his youngest son. They lost and I expected him to be angry and maybe even at some point look over at me and ask who the hell I was sitting up in his suite. I was even trying to lay low(and stuck out like a sore thumb because I was under dressed, every single person was wearing a suit jacket and pants and I was in a pullover and jeans).

Anyway dude was all smiles. Stuffed his face with a hotdog, sat next to me at his bar in his suite and asked what I thought of the place, flashed us a huge grin when we left and thanked us for coming. A real gracious host, always is, I want to give him credit for that but he did not seem the least bit bothered and it was an important loss, 20-17 and dropped them to 8-5. I remember telling my friends afterwards that I get angrier when I lose a fantasy football game, this dude did not seem to give AF. They were all reminding me that he won today no matter what, new stadium, packed house, big day financially. Kind of like what you are saying I found it a bit depressing, I had hoped he'd care more about actually losing. Just remember that being the first time I started to think pro owners might not care about winning as much I assumed, that it might be more the secondary goal.

Yeah I’ve long felt winning was secondary to a lot of owners but didn’t think Jerry would fall into that category. I’m buying the whole theory of the thread btw. Seems like very good analysis. I’m all for making money but I’d think, if you already have everything they have in their portfolio, you might give some consideration to the status and joy that winning a Super Bowl, particularly for that team, would bring about. Rolling with such a tight cash budget makes it virtually impossible to win.

Instead of getting some glory hole lol and all the media love that would follow, they’re just gonna rake in cash as essentially ambivalent landlords until they die while the Stephen A’s and Shannon Sharp’s and Da Franchise’s of the world trash them on the regular. Makes me plenty happy specific to this team but damn, just sad for humanity really. Google tells me he’s worth nearly $14B. Why not spend an extra $50M per year and try to win? It’s pocket change.

Last edited:
:confe
Dak quietly being shopped?
no trade clause
up to Dak.

It’s time…
If the subject would come up, I think Dak should seriously consider Minnesota. They have 3 really good weapons in Jefferson, Addison, and Hockenson.

I would do -
Dak
Dallas 1rst Rd Pick
Dallas 5th Rd Pick

For

Minny 1rst Rd Pick
Minny 2nd Rd Pick
Think his contract is so onerous that Dallas needs to send out a 1st to move him?

I would have guessed more than the Rodgers trade, which was a first swap also but then 2 seconds (one conditional which i think became a 2nd when he stayed for this season?) and swaped a 5th for a 6th.

So net, it was roughly Rodgers for 2 2nds (the 1st swap and the 5th 6th are pretty close to neutral).

I would think Dak could be like a conditional 1st that drops to a 2nd if there's an issue, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd.

no trade clause
up to Dak.

It’s time…
If the subject would come up, I think Dak should seriously consider Minnesota. They have 3 really good weapons in Jefferson, Addison, and Hockenson.

I would do -
Dak
Dallas 1rst Rd Pick
Dallas 5th Rd Pick

For

Minny 1rst Rd Pick
Minny 2nd Rd PickThe tumor I saw was the Raiders

no trade clause
up to Dak.

It’s time…

I would do -
Dak
Dallas 1rst Rd Pick
Dallas 5th Rd Pick

For

Minny 1rst Rd Pick
Minny 2nd Rd Pick
The rumor I read was the Raiders 🤷🏻‍♂️

So net, it was roughly Rodgers for 2 2nds (the 1st swap and the 5th 6th are pretty close to neutral).
Just going to point out it took Rodgers getting hurt for that pick to be a second instead of a first. Would assume everyone was planning on it being a first when the deal was done.

As for Dak it's hard to see him agreeing to trade. His agent is not playing around, really whipped Jerry on the extension which is why I think we are that this point now where Jerry is not wanting to let it happen again. So for Dak, he's set to enter UFA next year, nothing can stop that since he's got a no-tag clause. I know it's hard to grasp, but he's arguably going to be the most in demand UFA to ever hit the market and sure to set a pay record when he does.

Just going to point out it took Rodgers getting hurt for that pick to be a second instead of a first. Would assume everyone was planning on it being a first when the deal was done.

As for Dak it's hard to see him agreeing to trade. His agent is not playing around, really whipped Jerry on the extension which is why I think we are that this point now where Jerry is not wanting to let it happen again. So for Dak, he's set to enter UFA next year, nothing can stop that since he's got a no-tag clause. I know it's hard to grasp, but he's arguably going to be the most in demand UFA to ever hit the market and sure to set a pay record when he does.
Thats right, the second became a first on conditions. For some reason my brain had it as becoming a 3rd if he left - mixed up with the Ridley trade I think.

Even more makes the point of what you'd expect for Dak.

As for Dak it's hard to see him agreeing to trade.
I would be shocked if he did
Why? Isn’t he just as likely (if not more) to get paid by a team that wants him that much? I don’t know that the raiders is a great situation but Minnesota with O’Connell seems at least as good as Dallas.
Unless he's concerned his play will tank can't think of a viable reason he's not be better positioned next offseason to maximize his pay vs taking an extension now.

Why? Isn’t he just as likely (if not more) to get paid by a team that wants him that much? I don’t know that the raiders is a great situation but Minnesota with O’Connell seems at least as good as Dallas.
Unless he's concerned his play will tank can't think of a viable reason he's not be better positioned next offseason to maximize his pay vs taking an extension now.
Fair, but are the cowboys definitely the best situation for him to maximize this season?

Fair, but are the cowboys definitely the best situation for him to maximize this season?
Just not sure how much it really means to Dak, feel like he's shown us that maximizing his pay is priority #1. Not judging him, just what he's shown.

As for my opinion, no I don't think the Raiders or the Vikings woud offer a a better situation next year.

ETA-if Dak is prioritizing winning, and ends up leaving Dallas, you'd think the roster of the team he goes to next season would be better if they could sign him outright then paying draft picks for him.

Not having to learn a new offense? Yes

I’m honestly pro reset right now.

I would try to talk Dak into a trade, and if not - he can sit a year. Eff him.

I also trade Parsons and Martin right now. Sign CeeDee, as he will age decently and be a key piece with a young QB.

Load up on picks. Tank this year. Draft a franchise QB. Anything short of that - we are doomed to the same predictable ending.

Adam Schefter reporting Cowboys are a sleeper for drafting a QB early in the draft.

So, you’re saying there’s a chance!!!!!
Momentum gaining….

Probably not. This will not be Dallas’s best roster, but it’s not like he hasn’t had many chances with really good talent.

He either leads the team to, at a minimum conference title game appearance, or he can get paid $300 million plus to lose in the playoffs somewhere else.

Is it just me, or is this a boring draft class?

I’m not really hyped for many players.

Gotta believe our first pick is a OT, C, WR or CB.

DT Jer'Zhan Newton
If the top OL candidates are gone, why not grab him. Not really the run stuffer that we need, but this way we could bring pressure from inside and outside. Not a fan of some mocking WR in the first round. I would rather trade down and double up on OL in second round.

Huge signing…Royce Freeman

Kill me now
Are you joking?
About Royce Freeman being a huge signing or the desire to have someone shoot me over the state of my fav team?
Oh I get it after reading it again :)
:lmao: You ok GB?
I didn't initially read the "kill me now" comment. Anyhoo, if it isn't Brooks in the 2nd, do you think it will be another RB in the 2nd? Or the 3rd?

I just can’t beleive Jerry is going to go out with such a whimper.
DT Jer'Zhan Newton
If the top OL candidates are gone, why not grab him. Not really the run stuffer that we need, but this way we could bring pressure from inside and outside. Not a fan of some mocking WR in the first round. I would rather trade down and double up on OL in second round.

Im not sure about the player but I trust your evaluation of DT over theirs.

Here is my no serious research, blind prediction:

1. OL
2. RB
3. C. I think we stick with the tradition of picking from Wisconsin and grab Tanor Bortolini.
4. DT

It gets real murky after that. A couple of CB's, maybe another RB.

Saw a chart this week about bust factor by position. Apologies for being too lazy to go find again. Long story short - The Position with the lowest bust factor = Center.

That is my pick. Highest rated Center please and thanks. If we can trade down and still do this = bonus points.

Users who are viewing this thread