What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 IDP Rookies (3 Viewers)

Figured it was about that time to have a place to discuss rookies for this year. Will be interesting to see what IDP players come out of the Combine as gems..

Kyle Bellefeuil with a good LB piece to get us started:

https://www.footballguys.com/article/2024-pre-combine-top-10-rookie-idp-linebackers
Thanks for the start of the discussion.

After reading the article I would like to add that these types of articles have a much better impact when they make an NFL comparison to the player. Many times (especially on the IDP side) I don't have a chance to actually see the player on the field and having an NFL comp that can give me a visual comparison right away is a big benefit. There are so many times that when I finally get a chance to see a guy I would have been much more interested or much less interested based on the actual play style. Having a comp helps with that a lot.

Figured it was about that time to have a place to discuss rookies for this year. Will be interesting to see what IDP players come out of the Combine as gems..

Kyle Bellefeuil with a good LB piece to get us started:

https://www.footballguys.com/article/2024-pre-combine-top-10-rookie-idp-linebackers
Thanks for the start of the discussion.

After reading the article I would like to add that these types of articles have a much better impact when they make an NFL comparison to the player. Many times (especially on the IDP side) I don't have a chance to actually see the player on the field and having an NFL comp that can give me a visual comparison right away is a big benefit. There are so many times that when I finally get a chance to see a guy I would have been much more interested or much less interested based on the actual play style. Having a comp helps with that a lot.
We may get comps post combine, perhaps they are waiting to see what metrics look like to have a more rounded comp available? Either way its nice to at least get some rookie IDP content to start assisting in our draft boards.

Hey y'all! Josh here with The IDP Show. We've been diving into the rookies and I'm excited to see Footballguys is getting in on the party. We've already put out some rookie content if you're interested in taking a look:

Few more IDP rookie items posted in Articles:

For my league which is 2 pts per tackle, 2.5 for DL and basically 5 pts per big play

1. Edgerion Cooper LB
2. Jeremiah Trotter LB
3. Peyton Wilson LB
4. Junior Colson LB
5. Dallas Turner DL
6. Jared Verse DL
7. Cedric Gray LB
8. Tommy Eichenberg LB
9. Marist Liufau LB
10. Laitui Latu DL
11. Chop Robinson DL
12. Jaylon Ford LB
13. Kamren Kinchens DB
14. Tyler Nubin DB
15. Chris Braswell DL
16. Cooper Dejean DB
17. Trevin Wallace LB
18. Tyron Hooper LB
19. Jetzhan Newton DL
20. Byron Murphy DL
21. Javon Bullard DB
22. Darius Robinson DL
23. Caden Bullock DB
24. Jayden Hicks DB
25. Adisa Isaac DL

Notes. Last years 4 semi finalist had 4 best LB crews. Still O rules in this league with SF, TEP, PPR and starting 11 on both sides. So D won’t go till round 2 and then when to jump because once started too many teams need LB. 5 in round 2 minimum. But first 7 is the 3 QB and 4 skill players. Just what order. Daniels is almost always pick 7 in mocks I do. Harrison always #1 because he owns top 2 picks. In between is in the air. 8-16 is the 3 QB- 1 or 2 RB, 5-6 WR and Sanders. LB could go 16-17 or 18 but those teams also have 19-22-21 respectively, so matters how you feel after draft. Situation and draft capital will matter. Campbell went 17 last year but Sanders and Simpson close behind.

Previous years
2023 17. Campbell 18. Sanders 22. Henley 41. Simpson 56. D. Williams
2022 22. Lloyd 23. Dean 28. C. Harris 32. Q. Walker 34. T. Anderson 36. Chenal 42. Tindall
2021 22. Koramoah 23.J. Davis 30. Bolton 34. Surrart 47. Werner 49. Cox
2020 16. K. Murray 17. I. Simmons 20. Queen 24. T. Lewis 31. L. Wilson 34 Brooks 35. Gay 43. Baun

First DL 23 Anderson(21) 22 Hutchinson(18) 21. Parsons(18) 20. Young(10)
DB 23 - Branch(39) 22. Hamilton(39) 21. Surtain(44) 20. Chinn(40)

As I start to build my draft board pre-landing spots, where do you all see the LB's and Edges in relation to where the Off skill players are going.

We are a 16 team, 1QB league, .5PPR RB, 1PPR WR and 1.5PPR TE, and without having to go deep Def players score about 50% of off scoring points (top IDP last year scored 192 - top Off player scored near 400).

Here is roughly where I provisionally rank the first set of IDP's:

(Note: My league has a devy slot so about 8 off rookies are already accounted for so those are wiped off the board before building)
Edgerrin Cooper
Jeremiah Trotter Jr.
Payton Wilson
Junior Colson
Laiatu Latu
Dallas Turner
Jared Verse
Chop Robinson
These are my top 8 LB and Edge players that are around pick 30 on my draft board (So I have Cooper I at roughly pick 2.14).

My question is does anyone rate any of the top LB's/Edges above the top 30 or so Off players available in their draft boards?

Last edited:
Def players score about 50% of off scoring points (top IDP last year scored 192 - top Off player scored near 400).
With this being the case, I would probably even go lower on the IDP rankings in relation to the offensive side. Their value is pretty significantly diminished in this scoring system.

My home mock draft for you. Now SF, TEP, PPR and big thing is start 11 O players with must start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK wiyth max of 2-5-6-4-4. Start 11 on D with 3-4-4 most popular but could do 4-2-5. Top O was 429, Top D was 324. Top DL was 268 as #13 scorer. Need also in draft

1. Team A Marvin Harrison
2. Team A. Caleb Williams
3. Team B. Malik Nabers
4. Team C Drake Maye
5. Team D Brock Bowers
6. Team B Rome Odzune
7. Team D Jayden Daniels
8. Team D Brian Thomas
9. Team E JJ McCarthy
10. Team B Troy Franklin
11. Team F Keon Coleman
12. Team G Xavier Worthy
13. Team C. Michael Penix
14. Team D Trey Benson
15. Team C Jatavion Sanders
16. Team A Ladd McConkey
17. Team C Edgerion Cooper
18. Team B Peyton Wilson
19. Team A Jeremiah Trotter
20. Team H Bo Nix
21. Team B. Adonai Mitchell
22. Team C Johnathon Brooks
23. Team H. Ben Sinnott
24. Team E Junior Coloson
25. Team A Xavier Legette
26. Team A Theo Johnson
27. Team H Roman Wilson
28. Team H Jalynn Polk
29. Team B Jalen Wright
30. Team D Blake Corum
31. Team B. Harrison Mevis(PK has value)
32. Team B Cedric Gray
33. Team B Dallas Turner
34 Team D Braelon Allen
35. Team D Tommy Eichenberg
36. Team I Malachi Corley
37. Team D Brendan Rice
38. Team H Spencer Rattler
39. Team B MarShawn Lloyd
40, Team B Joshua Carty
41. Team J. Dez Walker
42. Team H Jared Verse
43. Team D Tyler Nubin
44. Team C Jaylen Ford
45. Team J Jacob Cowing
46. Team A. Jalen McMillan
47. Team B Laitui Latu
48. Team I Ricky Pearsall
49. Team H Chop Robinson
50. Team D Kamren Kinchens

Just rough idea for @Dacomish as my league settings are different. Of course draft will change all

I see first LB in yours coming off at probably 21 or so based on results. DL in mine drops to to economics. Not big need by many but LB huge need and way better scoring

Get data here
Previous years
2023 17. Campbell 18. Sanders 22. Henley 41. Simpson 56. D. Williams
2022 22. Lloyd 23. Dean 28. C. Harris 32. Q. Walker 34. T. Anderson 36. Chenal 42. Tindall
2021 22. Koramoah 23.J. Davis 30. Bolton 34. Surrart 47. Werner 49. Cox
2020 16. K. Murray 17. I. Simmons 20. Queen 24. T. Lewis 31. L. Wilson 34 Brooks 35. Gay 43. Baun

the LBs have been seriously lacking the past 4 drafts... is this due to rule changes? or just a weird thing.
and is this yrs any better?

the LBs have been seriously lacking the past 4 drafts
Have they? Below are players with < 4 years of experience in the top 3 tiers here:

#4 Nick Bolton
#6 Ernest Jones
#7 Logan Wilson
#10 Quay Walker
#11 Devin Lloyd
#13 Jack Campbell
#14 Patrick Queen
#16 Nakobe Dean

That's almost half of them and Brooks, JOK, and Andersen aren't much further behind.

I think less LB's playing 80+% snaps and recent EDGE re-classifications have resulted in top LB's being more valuable and the drop-off being more sudden once getting ~50 deep. This makes the path more challenging for a mid-rounder earning enough snaps to be a useful starter. In many recent cases, it's taken > 2 years and in some cases team #2 before this played out:

Foyesade Oluokun
TJ Edwards
Bobby Okereke
Zaire Franklin
Quincy Williams
Azeez Al-Shaair
Frankie Luvu

This tells me veteran experience is more valuable than raw talent, having a leg-up with the latter shortens the curve to PT, but ultimately 'trust' is what gets these guys on the field and that's not something that's earned by just showing up day one.

Let me correct myself, what I mean is LBs drafted high lately (fantasywise) have been disappointing meanwhile yes, some underdogs have become studs

Let me correct myself, what I mean is LBs drafted high lately (fantasywise) have been disappointing meanwhile yes, some underdogs have become studs
Simmons has disappointed with no hope for the future and while Murray has disappointed, he appears setup for a good year or two. Among those in the top 2 rounds, who else has disappointed? Queen, JOK, and Lloyd all seem to be in good places and have provided at least some ROI. Expand to the 3rd round and we have 4 of 9 hits, but 2 of those misses have been injury driven to this point. That strikes me as a reasonable hit rate at that place in the draft.

I don't expect anything from rookies so I won't start to judge the soon-to-be sophomores until this summer. I suppose if Sanders and Henley do nothing that will alter the picture, but I don't think that's a subject worth exploring 11 months into their career. These aren't blue chippers that flopped, they're top 100 picks. Anything they do year 1 is an unexpected surprise. If anything I'm surprised they ended up at #18 and #22 as they were ~3rd rounders on my board (got Sanders in one of them).

Hey y'all! If you're looking for some rookie IDP content before next Thursday, we've put out some articles and podcasts/videos recently:
If you check it out, we hope you enjoy it! We'll be talking with Footballguys' own Sigmund Bloom on Friday 🥰

Users who are viewing this thread