What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (4 Viewers)

I wonder if Raider Nation would be more enthused with the hire of Telesco if he didn't come from a division rival.

(not a comment regarding the response in this thread, but a social media/online seems to have a hatred for the guy)
It absolutely plays a factor. The vomit on social media is really bad.

Cameron Wolfe
@CameronWolfe
Raiders are hiring Gerald Alexander as their safeties coach, per source.Alexander spent the last 2 seasons as Steelers assistant defensive backs coach. He also ran Dolphins DB room from 2020-21 where he became a favorite for many players. Now, he aims to do it again in Vegas.
George Takata
@georgetakata
EXCLUSIVE: Fresno's Ricky Manning Jr. (Edison HS) is the new Defensive Backs Coach for the #Raiders . Deal completed today. "They wouldn't let me leave the building." Las Vegas adds to its already strong defensive coaching staff. Manning was with the Jets the past two seasons.
Yeah, I think Manning is the CB coach, actually.
Always interesting the first guys hired, these guys have clearly been waiting for this job.

AP was in the room asking questions when Telesco was interviewed. Doesn't mean he wanted TT, but it does mean AP was consulted. Good.

Mack on a value (not minimum) deal would be great. While he is best a part-time player now, that absolutely doesn't mean passing downs only. Get him hype. Keep him fresh. And back in black. Khalil and Koonce might be the only players in the NFL from University of Buffalo - big/lil bro dynamic may already be there.

Was on the road and didn't KNOW that Pierce had been hired as permanent head coach
Hmmmmm, yeah not sure I see him lasting there.

Bisaccia 7-5 after Gruden in '21,
'22-McD and then
'23 Pierce takes over half way

4 coaches inside of 3 seasons and I still don't know that Pierce is the answer for them, innovative is not the term used often with him. Was Pierce on other team's wish list?
And not to point out the obvious but the Chargers getting Harbaugh is bad news for a couple teams in the AFC West.
Finding a franchise QB or someone the Raiders can rally around is going to be priority one I would think, is Pierce going to make a great head coach for a Rookie QB?
I doubt a lot of you are doing cartwheels over him but I'll scroll up and see

Well we have our coach. I'm lukewarm on it, but it's got a lot of potential. It's a risky move going with someone with so little experience and there will certainly be some growing pains and mistakes. Can he put together a staff, especially on the offensive side? Graham will be moving on soon too one way or another and AP doesn't exactly have a big network of NFL personnel. Not sure if that's truly a bad thing or not, might force more open/natural interview and recruitment?

There's a lot to like though. We played clean, hardass football. Guys clearly loved him and loved playing for him. and best in the league in minimizing penalties. Those are the two things I have been most embarrassed by as a Raider fan, that we looked like clowns far too often. If we give that level of effort and minimize the (especially stupid) mistakes (yes YOU Tillery) then I can live with whatever happens on the field.

GM is next. I want Telesco. He built some strong rosters in his past stops and if we can't keep Champ Kelly we'll get comp picks if he gets a GM job elsewhere. No hate for Champ and if it's him I'll support it - our roster is actually not a disaster so whatever part he had in that or learned from while it was being done can't hurt - but Telesco is a far superior option.

OC/offensive staff is going to make or break 2024. Not expecting an All-Pro QB right away, but man we have to improve that fast. We beat one team with a winning record in Pierce's interim phase and has two other stinkers including a donut against a bad MIN team that might have kept us out of the playoffs. My sleeper pick here would be for Philly to clean house and we snag up Brian Johnson. He's a young guy that's up and coming and just took some learning hits but might get scapegoated right out of town. 3 months ago he was on the hot list of next HC candidates.

QB goes without saying, no one wins in the NFL without high level at a minimum play from the QB. I want to get aggressive. We can't afford to move to #1 if it's even available, but we could move into the later top 10 if the "right" guy is there. Will he be? I would have LOVED Shedeur Sanders but he didn't come out. I'd be great with Jayden Daniels but kind of doubt he'll get past the Pats but if NEP new regime isn't sold and wants to move down for picks I say go all in. I said the same about Stroud last year and no price is too great if you get it right.

If we don't draft a QB then give me Fields. Give up a 3rd this year and a conditional 1st next - we make the playoffs, Fields plays 75% of the snaps, CHI get our 2025 1st. That's swing for the fences we only pay for if we connect. It's only a two year committment for $3.2M in 2024 and $23M in 2025 and if we don't like it we let him walk with a comp pick in return. If we can unlock the Good Fields regularly we win this at any price we give. He's got the physical talents to land anywhere from Jalen Hurts to Josh Allen under the right coach/system and we have a pretty solid supporting cast for him including a far better OL already.

I get the tempatation to roll with AOC - what a steal it would be to get an eventual Kirk Cousins level of play from the previous regime in the 4th round and use the current premium picks to build around him (Cousins was also a 4th round pick). But here are the QB's drafted in the 4th from 2016-2022 (Howell was 5.01 in 2022):

Joshua Dobbs
Kyle Lauletta
Ryann Finley
Jarrett Stidham
Jacob Eason
James Morgan
Ian Book
Bailey Zappe
Conner Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones

Even if we get the Dak Prescott pick, what has that really done for them? All my Cowboy friend have been screaming to move on from him for at least 4 years now.
Didn't take long to see everyone a couple pages back is enthusiastic about Pierce
However I will log Hank here as "lukewarm" which I think is more than supported by the lengthy and very thorough post.
I can see Pierce being let go in less than 2 seasons just like his predecessor
I want to know how the Raiders are going to survive 4 games vs the Bolts and Chiefs which will have far superior Coaches and Offenses(QB)
When you see your team extend a guy internally with a lot of risk attached...
And then you see a division rival bring in a guy like Jim Harbaugh, you gotta see the difference between those 2 hires and start asking questions

I want to know how the Raiders are going to survive 4 games vs the Bolts and Chiefs which will have far superior Coaches and Offenses(QB)
We don't know those coaches are far superior. A couple years ago one might have said the same in the Lions' thread. We'll survive them the way we did in weeks 15 and 16 - with a complete team. We committed the fewest penalties in the league last year and were middle of the road in turnover margin in spite of Jimmy Grapes throwing a whopping 5.3% interception rate - that's more than many QB's TOUCHDOWN rates for ***** sake. Our D manhandled the Chiefs and while the Chargers weren't their best selves we did exactly what we should have against a team like that and put the boot on the throat and didn't let up. On the turbo interview on his way into halftime AP was asked about the message to the team and he responded "press the gas even harder". I've seen many a team play down to that level of competition. AP got us to kick it up a notch.

For perspective on those turnovers, if Mahomes had thrown 5.3% interception rate, he would have thrown THIRTY TWO picks. That would be tied for third worst in NFL history.

Well we have our coach. I'm lukewarm on it, but it's got a lot of potential. It's a risky move going with someone with so little experience and there will certainly be some growing pains and mistakes. Can he put together a staff, especially on the offensive side? Graham will be moving on soon too one way or another and AP doesn't exactly have a big network of NFL personnel. Not sure if that's truly a bad thing or not, might force more open/natural interview and recruitment?

There's a lot to like though. We played clean, hardass football. Guys clearly loved him and loved playing for him. and best in the league in minimizing penalties. Those are the two things I have been most embarrassed by as a Raider fan, that we looked like clowns far too often. If we give that level of effort and minimize the (especially stupid) mistakes (yes YOU Tillery) then I can live with whatever happens on the field.

GM is next. I want Telesco. He built some strong rosters in his past stops and if we can't keep Champ Kelly we'll get comp picks if he gets a GM job elsewhere. No hate for Champ and if it's him I'll support it - our roster is actually not a disaster so whatever part he had in that or learned from while it was being done can't hurt - but Telesco is a far superior option.

OC/offensive staff is going to make or break 2024. Not expecting an All-Pro QB right away, but man we have to improve that fast. We beat one team with a winning record in Pierce's interim phase and has two other stinkers including a donut against a bad MIN team that might have kept us out of the playoffs. My sleeper pick here would be for Philly to clean house and we snag up Brian Johnson. He's a young guy that's up and coming and just took some learning hits but might get scapegoated right out of town. 3 months ago he was on the hot list of next HC candidates.

QB goes without saying, no one wins in the NFL without high level at a minimum play from the QB. I want to get aggressive. We can't afford to move to #1 if it's even available, but we could move into the later top 10 if the "right" guy is there. Will he be? I would have LOVED Shedeur Sanders but he didn't come out. I'd be great with Jayden Daniels but kind of doubt he'll get past the Pats but if NEP new regime isn't sold and wants to move down for picks I say go all in. I said the same about Stroud last year and no price is too great if you get it right.

If we don't draft a QB then give me Fields. Give up a 3rd this year and a conditional 1st next - we make the playoffs, Fields plays 75% of the snaps, CHI get our 2025 1st. That's swing for the fences we only pay for if we connect. It's only a two year committment for $3.2M in 2024 and $23M in 2025 and if we don't like it we let him walk with a comp pick in return. If we can unlock the Good Fields regularly we win this at any price we give. He's got the physical talents to land anywhere from Jalen Hurts to Josh Allen under the right coach/system and we have a pretty solid supporting cast for him including a far better OL already.

I get the tempatation to roll with AOC - what a steal it would be to get an eventual Kirk Cousins level of play from the previous regime in the 4th round and use the current premium picks to build around him (Cousins was also a 4th round pick). But here are the QB's drafted in the 4th from 2016-2022 (Howell was 5.01 in 2022):

Joshua Dobbs
Kyle Lauletta
Ryann Finley
Jarrett Stidham
Jacob Eason
James Morgan
Ian Book
Bailey Zappe
Conner Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones

Even if we get the Dak Prescott pick, what has that really done for them? All my Cowboy friend have been screaming to move on from him for at least 4 years now.
Didn't take long to see everyone a couple pages back is enthusiastic about Pierce
However I will log Hank here as "lukewarm" which I think is more than supported by the lengthy and very thorough post.
And then you see a division rival bring in a guy like Jim Harbaugh, you gotta see the difference between those 2 hires and start asking questions
The Raiders beat everyone in the AFC West last season.
The Broncos have never beaten the Las Vegas Raiders
The Chargers will have some growing pains under Harbaugh just like the Broncos are under Payton.
So why not the Raiders? Get a QB in there and who knows, Houston is just the latest example.

Currently, the coaches showing on the team page are:

AP- HC

Scott Truner- Pass game coordinator
Edgar Bennett- WR
Cameron Clemmons- Assistant OL
Kennedy Polamalu- RB
Mitch Singler- Offensive quality control
Fred Walker- Offensive Assistant

Patrick Graham- DC
Matt Feeney- Defensive quality control
Rob Leonard- DL
Roby Ryan- Senior Defensive Assistant
Jason Simmons- Defensive Backs, Pass game coordinator

Tom McMahon- STC
Derius Swinton II- Assistant ST
Danny Amendola- Coaching Assistant/ Returners

Matt Sheldon- Director of Football Research and Strategy

AJ Neibel- Head S&C
D'Anthony Batiste- S&C Assistant
Deuce Gruden- S&C Assistant
Rick Slate- S&C Assistant

Reports that we hired Gerald Alexander as Safeties Coach and Ricky Manning Jr as Cornerbacks Coach. Jason Simmons is staying with the team, presumably with the same position.

Rumored that Marvin Lewis will be hired as Assistant Head Coach and Senior Advisor.

We have asked permission to interview TB QB coach Thad Lewis for OC.

Was on the road and didn't KNOW that Pierce had been hired as permanent head coach

'22-McD and then

4 coaches inside of 3 seasons and I still don't know that Pierce is the answer for them, innovative is not the term used often with him. Was Pierce on other team's wish list?
And not to point out the obvious but the Chargers getting Harbaugh is bad news for a couple teams in the AFC West.
Finding a franchise QB or someone the Raiders can rally around is going to be priority one I would think, is Pierce going to make a great head coach for a Rookie QB?
A few things I KNOW with AP....

He loves the Shield and Patch as much as I do.
He is all about bringing back the old school soul of who the Raiders were in the 60's, 70's and 80's... heck, even 90's that we have lost in the last 20+ years.
His players will play hard for him. Every game. Run through a brick wall hard.

I am all in.

Joshua Dobbs
Kyle Lauletta
Ryann Finley
Jarrett Stidham
Jacob Eason
James Morgan
Ian Book
Bailey Zappe
Conner Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones

Rumor is that Reid will retire after this season. If that happens.... Chef Princessdom crumbles.

We don't know those coaches are far superior. A couple years ago one might have said the same in the Lions' thread. We'll survive them the way we did in weeks 15 and 16 - with a complete team. We committed the fewest penalties in the league last year and were middle of the road in turnover margin in spite of Jimmy Grapes throwing a whopping 5.3% interception rate - that's more than many QB's TOUCHDOWN rates for ***** sake. Our D manhandled the Chiefs and while the Chargers weren't their best selves we did exactly what we should have against a team like that and put the boot on the throat and didn't let up. On the turbo interview on his way into halftime AP was asked about the message to the team and he responded "press the gas even harder". I've seen many a team play down to that level of competition. AP got us to kick it up a notch.

For perspective on those turnovers, if Mahomes had thrown 5.3% interception rate, he would have thrown THIRTY TWO picks. That would be tied for third worst in NFL history.
By all accounts of those who have worked with AP, coached him, played with him.... he has a very high football IQ and keen football mind.

He matched Campbell on pure leadership and may be the better coach.

Another thing I love about AP is that he isn't afraid to say "I don't know" and then go out and get the answer or get people that know around him. I will take that every single day over the guy that thinks he knows everything because no one does. Leaders lead teams they don't do the work of the team.

Joshua Dobbs
Kyle Lauletta
Ryann Finley
Jarrett Stidham
Jacob Eason
James Morgan
Ian Book
Bailey Zappe
Conner Cook
Dak Prescott
Cardale Jones

I`m not a football Guru, but if AP can get ME hyped up for a game just watching his pressers and locker room speeches ,i can only imagine what its like to listen to him all week at practice and before a game. He inspires people , hell , he`s even got the media yelling RAAAAAYDEEEERRRSSSS on a regular :laugh: . AP is a different cat than your run of the mill Xs and Os guy. The Raiders organization is different than the rest of the league , like the alumni like to point out, there are 31 teams in the NFL , then there's the Raiders . This team lost its Raiders persona somewhere along the ride , but AP has found it and brought it back. Davis had to bring in the cluster fk that was McGoofy to eventually find AP , this was fate imo . The organization is surrounding AP with great football minds , They will mentor and guide AP and he will learn , and someday when he`s older and more experienced he`ll be considered a great coach and wont need to be guided . All AP has to do now is inspire other grown men to play as hard as he did when he played , AP has an infectious personality and the team will take on his personality and they will play with heart and determination, the talent is already there , now they will play with focus and pride , unlike when they played for McGoofy and several other coaches gone by. Richard Biasaccia was as close to an AP type coach and look how the team played for him . Gruden had his moments but he was almost too intense and i imagine that can drain players mentally over years .

Lets see what this team looks like after the offseason and see how they play . I`m in the camp that everything happens for a reason and AP is the perfect match for the Raiders right now and he can bring back that old Raider physicality and swagger for years to come, hes young , he can only get better as a HC . Look at the best coaches the Raiders had, they all ran with the ''Raider Way'' , Davis , Madden , Flores and Art Shell . Yes Harbaugh is a proven coach , he comes from a family of coaches , but he isnt on the field playing . This reminds me of the scene in Jerry Maguire (which ill post below ) when Tidwell hugs Jerry and another player is watching, looks at his agent and asks ''why dont we have that kind of relationship'' ? The agent looks confused then goes for a hug and the player nudges him away and takes a step towards Jerry and Tidwell while watching with interest . https://youtu.be/wcrxiDWyeVI?si=Qn_cIL2-eU88ldEz

AP will prove all the naysayers wrong, i believe that heart and soul will overcome all negatives .

I wonder if they kick the tires on Fields.
You got to.

You reach out to the Bears and have talks with them.... if you go that route, what would it take to get Fields? Right now, it is too early to say that the Bears will draft Williams (I saw reports that he was wanting assurances the Bears would not select him or he would stay in school.... true or not? I don't know but with NIL money now those threats aren't empty. He can stay in school, making millions and be the king on campus another year)

The Bears could get an offer that they can't refuse for that top pick and decide to stick with Fields and draft a whole team of 1st and 2nd round picks around him for the next couple of years. :shrug:

But for us, Fields has to be a real possibility. The only hit the breaks on that would be what is the OC we choose. Are they good with a mobile QB? Are they married to a system that maybe Fields doesn't fit well? Will they change their offense to fit a QB? Good questions that need to be asked but you have to kick the tires. I believe Telesco will do so.

Baker Mayfield is a free agent. 🫣

Tampa could place the franchise tag on him, but would then have to pay him something like ~$35 MM next year. If they don't tag him and instead try to lowball him in contract talks...

'22-McD and then

You know who just got fired?

A bunch of formerly young, innovative minds. You know who gets fired every year? Former up and coming young innovative thinkers.

Meantime, you are in other threads going on about Campbell being great because he made the players do an Oklahoma drill, and complaining about the coach in MIA (young innovative) not advancing the Dolphins.

Lordy.

Baker Mayfield is a free agent. 🫣

Tampa could place the franchise tag on him, but would then have to pay him something like ~$35 MM next year. If they don't tag him and instead try to lowball him in contract talks...
Based on who was available, I wanted Baker last year and we got noodle armed, born with a horseshoe up his rear, luckiest 'winner' of all time Jimmy G.

sigh

Baker is a good QB. Elite? No. But good. He got a raw deal with the Browns and then it was all chaos until he landed in TB which he then put together a solid year.

'22-McD and then

A bunch of formerly young, innovative minds. You know who gets fired every year? Former up and coming young innovative thinkers.

Meantime, you are in other threads going on about Campbell being great because he made the players do an Oklahoma drill, and complaining about the coach in MIA (young innovative) not advancing the Dolphins.

Lordy.
MoP gonna MoP :shrug:

'22-McD and then

Lordy.
I'm happy you take the time to read my posts, much appreciated
I certainly didn't just hail DC because of the OK Drill
I'm pretty sure I mentioned the 5 years he served as Asst HC under Payton which set him up for success when he was given the job in Detroit
If you see Pierce as a big PLUS over Harbaugh which I'm not putting words in your mouth, you can elaborate but I don't see how any rational non biased NFL fan can look at the Raiders and Chargers, both minting their new Head Coach and act like Harbaugh is not a clear winner in that race.
I'm sorry the entire Raiders' fan base is Gung Ho on Antonio but you all are the same folks that defend every FO move the Raiders make

-Yeah, you bet I'm tough on Mike McD, mostly because he wasn't the first name on the list, we had our 1st Rd pick confiscated for tampering which included trying to hire Sean Payton but likely had something to do with asking Flores to throw football games, I've always believed Flores side of the story...when you can't interview top names or get better coaches to give you the time of day then you have to settle for guys (SEE CAROLINA) that might be specialist on one side of the ball or the other. Mike McDaniel was never even the OC, not sure what his exact role was in SF but he doesn't know anything that happens on the other side of the ball. He let the incumbent take things over when he was introduced as Head Coach and then he decided to turn it over to a 65 year old legend and could never tell him to try anything different as we spiraled out of control.

Thanks for letting me clarify

I'm happy you take the time to read my posts, much appreciated
I skimmed, looking for anything resembling a reason why you thought he would be gone soon. It didn't take long, you had none.

I have a long memory. That means I remember when all these fired coaches were hot coordinators. Or QB coaches, I should say, because they are hiring 34 year olds, who have barely been in the league.
I get why they are attractive.

The young offensive passing game genius, whose play calling and play design outsmart defenses every week. Meantime, he hires the defensive guy (who swears a lot) with the complex defense and exotic blitzes.

Right?? Isn't that what everyone wants? That's what I want. Sounds amazing. I don't know why it sounds amazing to us, but it does. Ever notice they never use the word 'exotic' unless it's to describe blitzes? Anyway.

I am very much of the opinion that the fans have no idea how much some of these assistants actually contribute to any offense, so I am pretty open-minded about it. I have to say, any real strong opinion about this guy or that guy would make a bad OC or DC, I don't really understand what facts people are using to form some of these opinions. How do any of us have ANY idea which coach was most responsible for a game plan working? It's silly to think we have a clue.

But we know the team loves Pierce, and we know they have performed for him. I think the CEO part of being a coach, getting young millionaires to buy in, and being organized, having a unified vision, is actually more important than schemes. MUCH more important. We see guys purely outsmarting the other coach. But every single game we watch we see good players executing, and just straight up beating people. That's what the Raiders did under Pierce. He had an audition and he crushed it.

But we know the team loves Pierce, and we know they have performed for him. I think the CEO part of being a coach, getting young millionaires to buy in, and being organized, having a unified vision, is actually more important than schemes. MUCH more important. We see guys purely outsmarting the other coach. But every single game we watch we see good players executing, and just straight up beating people. That's what the Raiders did under Pierce. He had an audition and he crushed it.

This 💯

If you see Pierce as a big PLUS over Harbaugh which I'm not putting words in your mouth, you can elaborate but I don't see how any rational non biased NFL fan can look at the Raiders and Chargers, both minting their new Head Coach and act like Harbaugh is not a clear winner in that race.
My 2 cents….

Some of us remember how Harbaugh’s time with the 9ers ended (head butting and power struggle) and don't want any hint of that potential drama coming to the Raiders. We’ve had enough of that with the last couple of “big names” the Raiders have brought in, between Gruden and McDaniels.

So for most fans, in this thread at least, a fresh face who’s already rallied the troops, shown passion and leadership, and has the full support of the players, why not stick with this fresh face and see where it brings us? Maybe we have another Mike Tomlin type right under our noses. Let’s do this!!!

My 2 cents….

Some of us remember how Harbaugh’s time with the 9ers ended (head butting and power struggle) and don't want any hint of that potential drama coming to the Raiders. We’ve had enough of that with the last couple of “big names” the Raiders have brought in, between Gruden and McDaniels.

So for most fans, in this thread at least, a fresh face who’s already rallied the troops, shown passion and leadership, and has the full support of the players, why not stick with this fresh face and see where it brings us? Maybe we have another Mike Tomlin type right under our noses. Let’s do this!!!
Though I was a big proponent of Harbaugh before we hired McD (no doubt that would have been better if we did) it isn't just the stint with the Niners. It seemed like Michigan had to constantly work to keep Harbaugh happy.... like that guy with a girl who just really isn't all that into him but is still in the relationship and the guy does everything for her, all the time, like no one else will and she is still just not happy. As much as I wanted Harbaugh before, I am happier we have AP.

My 2 cents….

I can appreciate that

why... Maybe more homework on Fields than anything else.

The Las Vegas Raiders will interview former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Luke Getsy for their vacant offensive coordinator position Friday, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

The Las Vegas Raiders will interview former Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Luke Getsy for their vacant offensive coordinator position Friday, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

That is where my mind first went. I can't imagine Getsy would be too kind in his assessment of Fields. Fields semi called Getsy out week 3 for making things too complicated. I put a lot of the fault of Chicago's offense on Getsy, but realize that Fields has his flaws that surely contributed to Getsy's firing.

Getsy did some decent things with Bagent in the 4 starts he had. In certain ways the offense looked more organized during that stretch.

Getsy might actually be a useful coach, but look at his coaching history. How would we know? Bouncing around from job to job, one or two years here and there.AP needs someone who will provide stability for himself, and the new QB. More important, We cannot say that Getsy is responsible for offensive success anywhere he has gone, because he hasn't been anywhere long enough. Unlike, say, a Kingsbury.

Maybe he took the wrong job. He wasn't up for running the kind of offense Fields needs right now. He didn't want to be thinking about setting up the RPO, and getting deep shots off play action, or whatever. I'd like to know the backstory on how he got hired. He seems like he's good at job interviews, no question.

Getsy might actually be a useful coach, but look at his coaching history. How would we know? Bouncing around from job to job, one or two years here and there.AP needs someone who will provide stability for himself, and the new QB. More important, We cannot say that Getsy is responsible for offensive success anywhere he has gone, because he hasn't been anywhere long enough. Unlike, say, a Kingsbury.

Maybe he took the wrong job. He wasn't up for running the kind of offense Fields needs right now. He didn't want to be thinking about setting up the RPO, and getting deep shots off play action, or whatever. I'd like to know the backstory on how he got hired. He seems like he's good at job interviews, no question.
Not sure about all the jobs, but as far as being hired for Bears OC, it could be as simple as he got hired because he was Aaron Rodger's QB coach. Maybe it's not fair, but I get a Nathaniel Hackett feel with Getsy and hope the Raiders go in a different direction at OC.

@Just Win Baby mentioned in the “rate your team’s 2023 season” thread about the chargers firing Telesco and being happy about it, so I asked him to give some more details on that statement, and his response was informative and level headed, imo. Hopefully this link to that post works…

Post in thread 'Rank Your NFL Team's 2023 Season'
https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/rank-your-nfl-teams-2023-season.811861/post-24837835

(Sorry to drag you into the Raiders thread, @Just Win Baby ;)
He’s good people.

@Just Win Baby mentioned in the “rate your team’s 2023 season” thread about the chargers firing Telesco and being happy about it, so I asked him to give some more details on that statement, and his response was informative and level headed, imo. Hopefully this link to that post works…

https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/rank-your-nfl-teams-2023-season.811861/post-24837835

I read his opinion.

Sounds like any fanbase that hasnt won a SB in its history , not happy and someone has to take the fall . It cant be just one guy or one reason. The franchise itself is to blame . Its a team effort. The reason he was let go is Harbaugh is coming and will bring all his own people . Telesco was let go early so he could land a decent gig somewhere else IMO. Also maybe it WAS time for him to go and get a fresh start somewhere else. He brings a lot of experience and he will be working with new people with new ideas . I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet my friend

RAAAAAYDEEERRRRSSSSS

Last edited:

I read his opinion.

Sounds like any fanbase that hasnt won a SB in its history , not happy and someone has to take the fall . It cant be just one guy or one reason. The franchise itself is to blame . Its a team effort. The reason he was let go is Harbaugh is coming and will bring all his own people . Telesco was let go early so he could land a decent gig somewhere else IMO. Also maybe it WAS time for him to go and get a fresh start somewhere else. He brings a lot of experience and he will be working with new people with new ideas . I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet my friend

RAAAAAYDEEERRRRSSSSS
No hitting the panic button. Just interesting to read an “insider’s” pov instead of just listening to the Raiders echo chamber.

I read his opinion.

RAAAAAYDEEERRRRSSSSS
No hitting the panic button. Just interesting to read an “insider’s” pov instead of just listening to the Raiders echo chamber.
I meant just win baby. But Tom is the first guy with any real experience to take the reins. Let’s see what happens.

I read his opinion.

RAAAAAYDEEERRRRSSSSS
I meant just win baby. But Tom is the first guy with any real experience to take the reins. Let’s see what happens.
His track record shows that he makes sound draft picks in the first round. No silly reaches or out of left field head-scratchers. Something that has been missing in this organization since forever.

I read his opinion.

RAAAAAYDEEERRRRSSSSS
His track record shows that he makes sound draft picks in the first round. No silly reaches or out of left field head-scratchers. Something that has been missing in this organization since forever.
Just think what this team would be if the obvious draft choices were made in the first two rounds over the last 5 or 6 years.

I read his opinion.

RAAAAAYDEEERRRRSSSSS
Just think what this team would be if the obvious draft choices were made in the first two rounds over the last 5 or 6 years.
Can I cry about the last 15 years or so? :lmao:

His track record shows that he makes sound draft picks in the first round. No silly reaches or out of left field head-scratchers.

2013 - 1.11 T Fluker - drafted for need; never played up to draft position; not terrible but disappointing overall
2014 - 1.25 CB Verrett - terrible pick; he was a known major injury risk entering the draft and played just 25 games in 5 seasons for the Chargers; complete bust
2015 - 1.15 RB Gordon - terrible decision to trade up to draft Gordon; never played up to his draft position and had extremely negative holdout in his 5th year option season; poor draft pick and terrible trade
2016 - 1.3 Edge Bosa - good pick, but hard to go wrong between Bosa, CB Ramsey, and IDL Buckner, who was my preference; has never played up to his potential, largely due to inability to stay on the field, but that isn't on Telesco
2017 - 1.7 WR Williams - did not like the pick at all at the time, and don't think he truly delivered full value for his draft position, but he did finally break out in his 5th season, just in time for a big contract extension
2018 - 1.17 S James - seemed like a great pick at the time but has been hit or miss, playing well in 3 seasons, missing most/all of 2 others due to injury, and unexpectedly dropping off a cliff in 2023
2019 - 1.28 IDL Tillery - terrible pick; ultimately released midseason in his 4th year and was a bust up to that point
2020 - 1.6 QB Herbert - great pick, obviously
2021 - 1.13 LT Slater - great pick
2022 - 1.17 G Johnson - jury's out; starter for first 2 years, which is good, but play has been disappointing, especially in year 2
2023 - 1.21 WR Johnston - jury's out, but his rookie season was a disappointing bust, to put it mildly

I count 4 good/great picks in there (Herbert, Slater, James, Bosa), 3 mediocre picks (Williams, Fluker, Johnson), and 4 bad picks (Verrett, Gordon, Tillery, Johnston (so far)). I have no idea how that compares to the Raiders track record over the same period.

So.... all 12 Dolt fans are happy he is gone. Ok. Well, since when did any self respecting Raider ever care to bother itself with what a scattered weak fanbase thinks?*

First consideration: Telesco has experience doing the job. Not just experience but a wealth of experience. Did the Dolts win a SB under him? No- but they never have in their entire existence so there is that. It was clear that Davis really did not want to go with a first year GM paired with a first year HC. That gave Telesco an upper hand. Telesco now heads up what seems to be, at this point, an intact personnel department most importantly being Champ Kelly remaining as Assistant GM.

Second: You can not dismiss the performance of the Dolts from the coaching and injuries. That is just silliness. Now, if you want to make an argument that the coaching is Telesco's fault (which if someone wants to scroll through before hiring him, my comment was "as long as we don't let him choose the coaches I am good with him.") and that the player decisions not foreseeing their injuries are his fault... ok. As noted, I am willing to concede his hand in picking a heap of dung repeatedly for coaches but unless someone can show me how the various top tier Dolt players that have been injury plagued were obvious before bringing them to the Dolts whether through draft or FA, then I think it is extremely dismissive.

Third: Yes, there are misses. No organization does not have misses. It is impossible in football to not take missteps in the draft or free agency. The end question is did the GM give the coaches a winning roster? When you look at the Dolts rosters, I have not relished playing them at all because the roster had talent all over it.

* love ya @Just Win Baby

By the way, I did go through the Dolt drafts for the last 10 plus years.... I will say that dang man last year's draft looks so very rough though it is early. It reminds me of a couple of our draft years of being epically bad.

For those who are interested: Telesco's draft history

Based on his history, Telesco's best drafts occurred when he picked in the top 12. Most of his drafts are flat, meaning he fails to find any major contributors later in drafts.

Not great, but at least better than Gruden's draft history.

Someone likely whispered in Mork's ear that he needed more front experience and he thought it was a good idea. :bored:
Given Mork's decision-making history, I suspect we will be looking back in a couple of years as a poor hire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread