What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

*not guilty
**Not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Guilty by a preponderance of the evidence.
***The LAPD done did screwed up.
And how. Also, the laughable prosecution didn't help. I could have done considerably better.

Had quite an alarming and disconcerting experience the other day at the VA. I was in a lounge area waiting for one of the staff to come in to watch some shorts (films.) Around 10 other men & women there - age range ~ 40 to 75 - shooting the breeze. I had my noise canceling headphones on listening to a podcast so I missed the beginning.

All of a sudden one of the guys (little younger than me) started getting really animated & speaking loudly. I slid a cup off one ear to hear what was going on. It was like listening to an old time gospel preacher, he’d shout something and everyone would be encouraging him (“that’s right” “there you go” “right? that’s what I’m saying!”

Man believed O.J.’s son Jason murdered Ron & Nicole. Was looking up conspiracy sites on his phone & reading out the “evidence.”

It was at that moment it dawned on me I was the only white person in the room. I glanced around at everyone, sure that someone would give me a side eye or a nod. Nope, not once - everyone was transfixed on the dude reading the crackpot theories out loud.

When the O.J. verdict came out, polls showed 80% of Americans saw it live. About 47% of whites thought he was guilty and the jury got got it wrong. 78% of blacks said in October 1995 he was innocent and the jury did their job.

After the civil case concluded a few years later, that racial gap had narrowed. Far more people (on either side of the Q) thought he was guilty, but a significant gap still existed.

Finally the staff member came in, picked up on what they were discussing, smiled & started hooking up her laptop. Like me, she decided silence was the better part of valor.

30 years ago I could (kinda sorta) understand - there weren’t any CSI shows, the technology was a bit newish. A match having a 1 in 10 billion chance of being a false positive is convincing to me but that was only part of it. The prosecution did a bad job. Plus it was only a few years after Rodney King. Clearly (a couple of them admitted later) it was jury nullification, pay back for decades of corruption within LAPD.

But to hold that opinion today? Man, that’s a tough one to reconcile.

Obviously the people in that room had probably experienced decades of a life I am unfamiliar with; once quite overt, now more along the lines of micro aggressions.

There was nothing I could have said that would have swayed anyone. Super weird for me.

(thought about starting a thread but figured it would quickly devolve)

*not guilty
**Not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Guilty by a preponderance of the evidence.
And how. Also, the laughable prosecution didn't help. I could have done considerably better.

Had quite an alarming and disconcerting experience the other day at the VA. I was in a lounge area waiting for one of the staff to come in to watch some shorts (films.) Around 10 other men & women there - age range ~ 40 to 75 - shooting the breeze. I had my noise canceling headphones on listening to a podcast so I missed the beginning.

All of a sudden one of the guys (little younger than me) started getting really animated & speaking loudly. I slid a cup off one ear to hear what was going on. It was like listening to an old time gospel preacher, he’d shout something and everyone would be encouraging him (“that’s right” “there you go” “right? that’s what I’m saying!”

Man believed O.J.’s son Jason murdered Ron & Nicole. Was looking up conspiracy sites on his phone & reading out the “evidence.”

It was at that moment it dawned on me I was the only white person in the room. I glanced around at everyone, sure that someone would give me a side eye or a nod. Nope, not once - everyone was transfixed on the dude reading the crackpot theories out loud.

When the O.J. verdict came out, polls showed 80% of Americans saw it live. About 47% of whites thought he was guilty and the jury got got it wrong. 78% of blacks said in October 1995 he was innocent and the jury did their job.

After the civil case concluded a few years later, that racial gap had narrowed. Far more people (on either side of the Q) thought he was guilty, but a significant gap still existed.

Finally the staff member came in, picked up on what they were discussing, smiled & started hooking up her laptop. Like me, she decided silence was the better part of valor.

30 years ago I could (kinda sorta) understand - there weren’t any CSI shows, the technology was a bit newish. A match having a 1 in 10 billion chance of being a false positive is convincing to me but that was only part of it. The prosecution did a bad job. Plus it was only a few years after Rodney King. Clearly (a couple of them admitted later) it was jury nullification, pay back for decades of corruption within LAPD.

Obviously the people in that room had probably experienced decades of a life I am unfamiliar with; once quite overt, now more along the lines of micro aggressions.

There was nothing I could have said that would have swayed anyone. Super weird for me.

The day OJ died the local sports station talked about the case most of the day. The late afternoon co-host floated the son theory and a couple of callers did also. Of course even if somehow true, OJ might still be guilty of covering up a felony crime.

Like a lot of conspiracy theories there will always be those who want them to be true for whatever reasons of their own.

Susan Backlinie, first victim in 'Jaws' film, dead at 77
RIP. Man, was she a beauty in that iconic brief scene. Besides the vicious attack scaring the bejeezus out of us, it was also the first time many folks saw gratuitous (almost) nudity on film.
Spielberg must've conducted some serious lobbying to keep that movie rated PG.
For sure - he must have known that an R rating would have significantly capped its viewership upside. The fact that it scared a large swath of the entire US population from venturing into the ocean was all you needed to know that it was more than your typical PG movie (at least in 1975 standards).

Last edited:
*not guilty

The day OJ died the local sports station talked about the case most of the day. The late afternoon co-host floated the son theory and a couple of callers did also. Of course even if somehow true, OJ might still be guilty of covering up a felony crime.

Like a lot of conspiracy theories there will always be those who want them to be true for whatever reasons of their own.
The day of the OJ verdict I was working on a project at the Department of Education in DC. Frankly I was a bit scared. The floor was over 50% black Fed Govt workers, and more than about 50 of them had said they were going to riot if OJ was found guilty. My specific office area was 90% black. I think that was 1995, and mind you all of us had seen what happened to Reginald Denny in the 1992 LA riots just three years prior. About 20 of us white folk locked ourselves in an interior office waiting for the jury to announce. No internet or phones. The amounts of praise Jesus and Hallelujahs heard from outside our door told us the verdict. I forget what time is was ... seems like early afternoon... but man were we happy we got out of there in one piece. People that say racial tensions are bad now have no idea. It was worse then, and I'm sure it was worse far before that.

*not guilty

The day of the OJ verdict I was working on a project at the Department of Education in DC. Frankly I was a bit scared. The floor was over 50% black Fed Govt workers, and more than about 50 of them had said they were going to riot if OJ was found guilty. My specific office area was 90% black. I think that was 1995, and mind you all of us had seen what happened to Reginald Denny in the 1992 LA riots just three years prior. About 20 of us white folk locked ourselves in an interior office waiting for the jury to announce. No internet or phones. The amounts of praise Jesus and Hallelujahs heard from outside our door told us the verdict. I forget what time is was ... seems like early afternoon... but man were we happy we got out of there in one piece. People that say racial tensions are bad now have no idea. It was worse then, and I'm sure it was worse far before that.

That is certainly an interesting take.

Smooth Jazz alto saxophonist David Sanborn, 78, passed away yesterday after a lengthy illness.
One of my favorite things he did was this show that ran from 88 to 90 called Sunday Night (I think the name changed the second year). They had a killer house band with people like Hiram Bullock, Omar Hakim, and then they'd have all these incredible guest musicians on too.

Here's a web page listing some good performances from that show. I'd make sure to catch it every time it was on.

Last edited:
*not guilty

That is certainly an interesting take.

Which part? I mean, the entire thing read like a high-diver that lost his form 40 feet in the air.....the conclusion was just *chef's kiss*.

Last edited:
Smooth Jazz alto saxophonist David Sanborn, 78, passed away yesterday after a lengthy illness.
Reading stories about him I'm just now realizing he'd played on so many memorable songs. I remember his TV show but most distinctly remember his frequent appearances on Letterman. Always loved his sound. RIP legend.

One of my favorite things he did was this show that ran from 88 to 90 called Sunday Night (I think the name changed the second year). They had a killer house band with people like Hiram Bullock, Omar Hakim, and then they'd have all these incredible guest musicians on too.

Here's a web page listing some good performances from that show. I'd make sure to catch it every time it was on.

I remember that one. Marcus Miller was the house band director/bass player. Legendary session player who produced all of the Luther Vandross hits & 3 albums from Miles Davis in the late 80s. Saw him years ago at a Harlem supper club.

Cyril Wecht died yesterday. He's definitely more in the consciousness of Pittsburgh peeps, but I'm sure his name is familiar to most since he was the coroner to the stars. He was the lone dissenter when it came to the single bullet theory in JFK's assassination, which made him famous.

Filmmaker Roger Corman, 98.

I'd say "rest in peace", but he might not want to. He may want to go on tour.
Cinematic icon. RIP

Had no idea.

“A remarkable judge of talent, he hired such aspiring filmmakers as Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, James Cameron and Martin Scorsese.”

Damn!

Cinematic icon. RIP

Had no idea.

“A remarkable judge of talent, he hired such aspiring filmmakers as Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, James Cameron and Martin Scorsese.”

Damn!

He was awesome. Those VIncent Price movies may be cheesy, but they're an excellent type of cheese.

Cinematic icon. RIP

Had no idea.

Damn!

He was truly one of a kind. RIP

Drummer John Barbata, who played with the Turtles, CSNY and Jefferson Airplane/Starship, died at age 79. RIP.

He played on Happy Together, Ohio and Miracles. And he was asked to join the Eagles when they were forming but declined.

Also played on the excellent Turtles' tune "Elenore".

Elenore, gee, I think you're swell
And you really do me well
You're my pride and joy, et cetera

Roman Gabriel, Rams and Eagles QB in the 60s and 70s, is dead according to his son on twitter.

Always came up in conversations of the best eagles qbs when I was a kid.

How did this slip away without a reply? He was probably my first hero as a kid, along with Mickey Dolenz. He and the Fearsome Foursome made me a football and lifelong Rams fan! I sent away for an autographed picture, and he signed "A champion always gives 110%". I had to see the John Wayne movie he was in, "The Undefeated", and I thought he was better at football. RIP Roman...

Roman Gabriel, Rams and Eagles QB in the 60s and 70s, is dead according to his son on twitter.

Always came up in conversations of the best eagles qbs when I was a kid.

How did this slip away without a reply? He was probably my first hero as a kid, along with Mickey Dolenz. He and the Fearsome Foursome made me a football and lifelong Rams fan! I sent away for an autographed picture, and he signed "A champion always gives 110%". I had to see the John Wayne movie he was in, "The Undefeated", and I thought he was better at football. RIP Roman...
i remember seeing this in the local paper here 2-4 weeks ago? i think he went to nc state, which is why it was covered in the local papers. i just love the old QBs that had the single bar face mask. something old school nfl about that look.

Dabney Coleman

damn, didn't realize he would be that old (92)

He was in a ton of good stuff, but my favorite was "Buffalo Bill" an early 80s sitcom where he was a completely self-absorbed local talk show host. It was pretty unique for it's time and also featured a very young Geena Davis :wub: .
Great show. It was too bad that NBC did not give "Buffalo Bill" a chance to grow like they did with "Cheers".

He gave a quiet performance in "On Golden Pond" as a decent, humble man who was caught in the middle of a cold war between the two Fonda's.

Dabney Coleman

He was in a ton of good stuff, but my favorite was "Buffalo Bill" an early 80s sitcom where he was a completely self-absorbed local talk show host. It was pretty unique for it's time and also featured a very young Geena Davis :wub: .

WarGames... and Cloak & Dagger. Two of my faves in the 80's. RIP

Dabney Coleman

Short time is one of my favorite movies
I'll always remember him from War Games, but 9 to 5, Tootsie, and Cloak and Dagger comes to mind as well.

RIP, McKittrick

Dabney Coleman

I'll always remember him from War Games, but 9 to 5, Tootsie, and Cloak and Dagger comes to mind as well.

RIP, McKittrick
Yep ....but if you haven't seen short time is a hugely underrated flick

Dabney Coleman

RIP, McKittrick
Always liked this exchange:

General Beringer: Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks
McKittrick: I don't have to take that, you pig-eyed sack of ****.
General Beringer: Oh, I was hoping for something a little better than that from you, sir. A man of your education.

Dabney Coleman

War Games was an amazing 80s movie, ends up with a pretty good message
9 to 5 was hilarious and he plays a mysogynist about as good as anyone
Tootsie...."Oh God, here come the terms" lands perfectly in the middle of the big reveal scene

Was an incredible character actor and worked best not always being the lead

Dabney Coleman

RIP, McKittrick
Always liked this exchange:

General Beringer: Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks
McKittrick: I don't have to take that, you pig-eyed sack of ****.
General Beringer: Oh, I was hoping for something a little better than that from you, sir. A man of your education.

“Goddammit, I’d piss on a sparkplug if I thought it would do any good!”

Users who are viewing this thread