What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ACLU to fight religious harrassment in rural Louisiana school (1 Viewer)

CBusAlex said:
Since you seem so hung up on the "law" part, let's try another example. Suppose the governor of your state decided to unconditionally pardon all criminals who convert to Islam, while refusing to pardon any non-Muslim prisoners. Unconstitutional, or no?
Flashing a bible verse on a marquee is now akin to unconditionally pardoning all criminals who convert to Islam... Buddy, you're Kookoo for Cocoa Puffs...
Your response is vague. Should I interpret this as "Yes, it would be unconstitutional", "No, it would not be unconstitutional", or "I cannot answer the question as it would expose a flaw in my own logic"?

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Serious questions....Do you not care about the large but still a minority of citizens that don't believe in one G-d? Do you have such a lack of respect for these children that you feel it is necessary to push your particular / the majority religious viewpoint on them? Because as someone who is agnostic ( not even atheist), it's uncomfortable to always be reminded that certain governmental agencies must remind me that I and certainly others ( atheists, poly theists) are not part of the government supported / sponsored religion.

Second, would you be totally ok if a school district cited verses of the Quran, or better yet flashed "there is no god, for such is a falsehood of man" flashing on their marquee? Because that's no different than using a bible verse.

Finally, do you consider yourself a big govt or small govt guy?

Look forward to the responses.
I don't think people should be so thin skinned on the matter. Our country was founded on christian beliefs. We let everyone practice the religion of their choosing, but our roots and heritage will not be forgotten or abolished... In some countries people are persecuted and in some cases killed for not practicing a particular religion. We are a christian country, but everyone is free to practice the religion of their choosing..

I would not "be totally ok if a school district cited verses of the Quran, or better yet flashed "there is no god, for such is a falsehood of man" flashing on their marquee".. I don't think it's appropriate to push children in any religious direction (or political for that matter).. But the question was 'Is it unconstitutional to flash a bible verse on a school marquee', and it is not, inappropriate, but not unconstitutional...

Small government guy here
It's going to depend on the bible verse.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself" isn't going to be a big problem.

"I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father but through me" is going to be a problem.
Based on your biased opinion, but not based upon the constitution..
I'll see if I can find a lawyer who prosecutes these kind of actions and ask what he says.
Okay, I asked him, and his response was "why are you talking to yourself?" To which I said "why are you talking to yourself?" That went on for awhile.
:lmao: :lmao:

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Serious questions....

Do you not care about the large but still a minority of citizens that don't believe in one G-d? Do you have such a lack of respect for these children that you feel it is necessary to push your particular / the majority religious viewpoint on them? Because as someone who is agnostic ( not even atheist), it's uncomfortable to always be reminded that certain governmental agencies must remind me that I and certainly others ( atheists, poly theists) are not part of the government supported / sponsored religion.

Second, would you be totally ok if a school district cited verses of the Quran, or better yet flashed "there is no god, for such is a falsehood of man" flashing on their marquee? Because that's no different than using a bible verse.

I don't think people should be so thin skinned on the matter. Our country was founded on christian beliefs. We let everyone practice the religion of their choosing, but our roots and heritage will not be forgotten or abolished... In some countries people are persecuted and in some cases killed for not practicing a particular religion. We are a christian country, but everyone is free to practice the religion of their choosing..I would not "be totally ok if a school district cited verses of the Quran, or better yet flashed "there is no god, for such is a falsehood of man" flashing on their marquee".. I don't think it's appropriate to push children in any religious direction (or political for that matter).. But the question was 'Is it unconstitutional to flash a bible verse on a school marquee', and it is not, inappropriate, but not unconstitutional...

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself" isn't going to be a big problem.

"I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father but through me" is going to be a problem.
I'll see if I can find a lawyer who prosecutes these kind of actions and ask what he says.
Okay, I asked him, and his response was "why are you talking to yourself?" To which I said "why are you talking to yourself?" That went on for awhile.
:lmao:

CBusAlex said:
Since you seem so hung up on the "law" part, let's try another example. Suppose the governor of your state decided to unconditionally pardon all criminals who convert to Islam, while refusing to pardon any non-Muslim prisoners. Unconstitutional, or no?
Flashing a bible verse on a marquee is now akin to unconditionally pardoning all criminals who convert to Islam... Buddy, you're Kookoo for Cocoa Puffs...
Your response is vague. Should I interpret this as "Yes, it would be unconstitutional", "No, it would not be unconstitutional", or "I cannot answer the question as it would expose a flaw in my own logic"?
You're trying to draw a parallel between your ridiculous hypothetical situation and flashing a bible verse on a marquee. In no way do those 2 situation resemble each other. Why dignify the question with an answer... Your question is irrelevant..

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Serious questions....Do you not care about the large but still a minority of citizens that don't believe in one G-d? Do you have such a lack of respect for these children that you feel it is necessary to push your particular / the majority religious viewpoint on them? Because as someone who is agnostic ( not even atheist), it's uncomfortable to always be reminded that certain governmental agencies must remind me that I and certainly others ( atheists, poly theists) are not part of the government supported / sponsored religion.

I don't think people should be so thin skinned on the matter. Our country was founded on christian beliefs. We let everyone practice the religion of their choosing, but our roots and heritage will not be forgotten or abolished... In some countries people are persecuted and in some cases killed for not practicing a particular religion. We are a christian country, but everyone is free to practice the religion of their choosing..

I would not "be totally ok if a school district cited verses of the Quran, or better yet flashed "there is no god, for such is a falsehood of man" flashing on their marquee".. I don't think it's appropriate to push children in any religious direction (or political for that matter).. But the question was 'Is it unconstitutional to flash a bible verse on a school marquee', and it is not, inappropriate, but not unconstitutional...

Okay, so you're saying you'd win this battle in litigation... Doesn't sound much different from any lawyer I've ever spoken to regardless of whether they were right or wrong...

Henry Ford, why are you right? Give me some reasoning. ... Response: "because I'm a lawyer".. :rolleyes:

Are you forgetting there would be an opposing lawyer as well? Let me guess, he would be right too.. 'because he is a lawyer'

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:

Okay, so you're saying you'd win this battle in litigation... Doesn't sound much different from any lawyer I've ever spoken to regardless of whether they were right or wrong...

Henry Ford, why are you right? Give me some reasoning. ... Response: "because I'm a lawyer".. :rolleyes:

Are you forgetting there would be an opposing lawyer as well? Let me guess, he would be right too.. 'because he is a lawyer'
You're missing the point. You're a clueless homeowner arguing with a plumber over a clogged drain, and when the plumber says "this is my professional opinion based on the fact that I'm a plumber and you're not", you're responding with "NUH-UH!"

You're out of your depth talking about the actual law with an actual lawyer, is what he's sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:

To be fair, I probably wouldn't "win" this battle in litigation. I'd file suit for religious discrimination against the school, the case would be sent to a lawyer, and I'd tell opposing counsel that all we really want is for the kid to be left alone and to have the entire staff retrained on what is acceptable for a State actor (like a public school district) to do with respect to religion, plus we want a million dollars for our trouble. He'd sputter and laugh a bit and offer five thousand dollars for the family's trouble. I'd tell him to go #### himself, and to look for his name on AboveTheLaw when this hits the press.

Once his name hit the press, he'd call me and tell me I was right, and that his name is on AboveTheLaw, and he's not very happy to be found in the same search terms as a federal law clerk in Louisiana who was recently caught trying to purchase the sexual services of a ten year old boy. I'd tell him I understood, but it's tough out there for people who work for the government in Louisiana, and five thousand dollars is an insult to my client, who's been told his religion is B.S. and forced to come to school every day and look at a marquee which expresses the idea that he's a second-class citizen while he's in public school.

Eventually, after depositions and discovery, we'd take this thing to mediation, at which the mediator would remind the other side that the world is changing, and you can't just go around putting your religion's dogma on a school billboard, and you haven't been able to read bible verses in school which are specifically designed to express indoctrinal principles and things like that since at least Abington v. Schempp 50 years ago. Then we'd probably settle on some reasonable, fairly small amount of money and go our separate ways.

Unless the parents were rich and felt it was a matter of principle. Then I think I'd have to take it to court and I'd win.

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:

To be fair, I probably wouldn't "win" this battle in litigation. I'd file suit for religious discrimination against the school, the case would be sent to a lawyer, and I'd tell opposing counsel that all we really want is for the kid to be left alone and to have the entire staff retrained on what is acceptable for a State actor (like a public school district) to do with respect to religion, plus we want a million dollars for our trouble. He'd sputter and laugh a bit and offer five thousand dollars for the family's trouble. I'd tell him to go #### himself, and to look for his name on AboveTheLaw when this hits the press.

Once his name hit the press, he'd call me and tell me I was right, and that his name is on AboveTheLaw, and he's not very happy to be found in the same search terms as a federal law clerk in Louisiana who was recently caught trying to purchase the sexual services of a ten year old boy. I'd tell him I understood, but it's tough out there for people who work for the government in Louisiana, and five thousand dollars is an insult to my client, who's been told his religion is B.S. and forced to come to school every day and look at a marquee which expresses the idea that he's a second-class citizen while he's in public school.

Eventually, after depositions and discovery, we'd take this thing to mediation, at which the mediator would remind the other side that the world is changing, and you can't just go around putting your religion's dogma on a school billboard, and you haven't been able to read bible verses in school which are specifically designed to express indoctrinal principles and things like that since at least Abington v. Schempp 50 years ago. Then we'd probably settle on some reasonable, fairly small amount of money and go our separate ways.

Unless the parents were rich and felt it was a matter of principle. Then I think I'd have to take it to court and I'd win.
:own3d: LMAO

Well played.

Oh, good. RHE is here to explain the defense attorney perspective.

This reminds me of a case a friend of mine was defending for a state actor. He called opposing counsel, and counsel said "we're not listening to your lowball offers." My friend said "no, no, wait. I'm not trying to talk you down. Pretend I'm Santa Claus. Sit down and tell me what you want, and if anyone can make it happen, it's me."

You're missing the point. You're a clueless homeowner arguing with a plumber over a clogged drain, and when the plumber says "this is my professional opinion based on the fact that I'm a plumber and you're not", you're responding with "NUH-UH!"

You're out of your depth talking about the actual law with an actual lawyer, is what he's sayin'.
He is always out of his depth on legal issues. Can't remember the thread but CW spent 3 pages arguing with Maurile Tremblay, a licensed attorney, saying that he knew a statement was hearsay and Maurile kept telling him he was completely wrong and didn't know what he was talking about. Maurile went so far as to provide the black letter law on hearsay that is taught in every law school in the nation and CW still said he was right and Maurile was wrong.

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Serious questions....

Do you not care about the large but still a minority of citizens that don't believe in one G-d? Do you have such a lack of respect for these children that you feel it is necessary to push your particular / the majority religious viewpoint on them? Because as someone who is agnostic ( not even atheist), it's uncomfortable to always be reminded that certain governmental agencies must remind me that I and certainly others ( atheists, poly theists) are not part of the government supported / sponsored religion.

I don't think people should be so thin skinned on the matter. Our country was founded on christian beliefs. We let everyone practice the religion of their choosing, but our roots and heritage will not be forgotten or abolished... In some countries people are persecuted and in some cases killed for not practicing a particular religion. We are a christian country, but everyone is free to practice the religion of their choosing..I would not "be totally ok if a school district cited verses of the Quran, or better yet flashed "there is no god, for such is a falsehood of man" flashing on their marquee".. I don't think it's appropriate to push children in any religious direction (or political for that matter).. But the question was 'Is it unconstitutional to flash a bible verse on a school marquee', and it is not, inappropriate, but not unconstitutional...

:goodposting:

That's some funny lawyer shtick right there.

He is always out of his depth on legal issues. Can't remember the thread but CW spent 3 pages telling Maurile Tremblay, a licensed attorney, that he knew a statement was hearsay and Maurile kept telling him he was completely wrong and didn't know what he was talking about. Maurile went so far as to provide the black letter law on hearsay that is taught is every law school in the nation and CW still said he was right and Maurile was wrong.
His work in the Zimmerman thread was pretty amazing. The best part was those of us criminal lawyers in the thread actually agreed on the same ultimate analysis of the case which he did (that Zimmerman was likely going to be found not guilty), and he'd still randomly try to tell us statements or interpretations of law we were making were wrong.

He is always out of his depth on legal issues. Can't remember the thread but CW spent 3 pages telling Maurile Tremblay, a licensed attorney, that he knew a statement was hearsay and Maurile kept telling him he was completely wrong and didn't know what he was talking about. Maurile went so far as to provide the black letter law on hearsay that is taught is every law school in the nation and CW still said he was right and Maurile was wrong.
His work in the Zimmerman thread was pretty amazing. The best part was those of us criminal lawyers in the thread actually agreed on the same ultimate analysis of the case which he did (that Zimmerman was likely going to be found not guilty), and he'd still randomly try to tell us statements or interpretations of law we were making were wrong.
Ok, now we're just making #### up...

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Serious questions....

Okay, so you're saying you'd win this battle in litigation... Doesn't sound much different from any lawyer I've ever spoken to regardless of whether they were right or wrong...Henry Ford, why are you right? Give me some reasoning. ... Response: "because I'm a lawyer".. :rolleyes:

So now you want to debate the law? Because Maurile asked you a series of questions designed to address the central legal issues regarding constitutionality under current Supreme Court precedent, and your response in refusing to answer those questions was that they were "irrelevant."

Henry Ford said:
Carolina Hustler said:
Serious questions....

Okay, so you're saying you'd win this battle in litigation... Doesn't sound much different from any lawyer I've ever spoken to regardless of whether they were right or wrong...Henry Ford, why are you right? Give me some reasoning. ... Response: "because I'm a lawyer".. :rolleyes:

So now you want to debate the law? Because Maurile asked you a series of questions designed to address the central legal issues regarding constitutionality under current Supreme Court precedent, and your response in refusing to answer those questions was that they were "irrelevant."
Ding!

Unfortunately, Carolina Hustler is representative of far too many conservatives these days. A lawyer tells them that having a religious billboard on school grounds defies the Constitution, and they challenge the lawyer. A scientist tells them that global warming is indeed happening, and the scientist has to be full of ####. A statistician attempts to prove that Obama has a 90% chance of winning the election against Romney, and they attack the statistician.

They live in their own little world, in which facts don't really have a place unless they already fit with what they want to believe.

Unfortunately, Carolina Hustler is representative of far too many conservatives these days. A lawyer tells them that having a religious billboard on school grounds defies the Constitution, and they challenge the lawyer. A scientist tells them that global warming is indeed happening, and the scientist has to be full of ####. A statistician attempts to prove that Obama has a 90% chance of winning the election against Romney, and they attack the statistician.

They live in their own little world, in which facts don't really have a place unless they already fit with what they want to believe.
He's representative of everyone nowadays. It's not just conservatives. It's everyone. Everyone thinks that if they can look up information on the internet, it's the same as doing something for a living for a few decades.

People think reading about stuff and looking at pictures of stuff is on the same level as doing stuff. It isn't.

"First of all judge, who do you think you are to tell me what the Constitution means? I can read it and it says right there it's constitutional."

lol "conservatives"

Every day you out yourself as a liberal shill.. But you'll jump up and down swearing you aren't liberal.. At least most of your counterparts admit to what they are..

lol "conservatives"

Every day you out yourself as a liberal shill.. But you'll jump up and down swearing you aren't liberal.. At least most of your counterparts admit to what they are..
Compared to you, Tim is a liberal. However, those of us on this board who are actually progressive/liberal do not consider Tim one of us.

lol "conservatives"

Compared to you, Tim is a liberal. However, those of us on this board who are actually progressive/liberal do not consider Tim one of us.
Not true. We have actual photos of you progressives and Tim all hanging out together and pushing the cause.

lol "conservatives"

Not true. We have actual photos of you progressives and Tim all hanging out together and pushing the cause.
Too bad you couldn't attend because of a prior commitment - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Triumph_of_the_Will_-_Congress_Hall.jpg

lol "conservatives"

That looks like me, but I swear I've never been to Connecticut.

lol "conservatives"

That looks like me, but I swear I've never been to Connecticut.

Good one, Tim.

Carolina Hustler said:
Zow said:
squistion said:
danielmclark said:
Carolina Hustler said:

Why would I make that up?

timschochet said:

I am glad you are keeper of the truth on all subjects.

Carolina Hustler said:
Zow said:
squistion said:
danielmclark said:
Carolina Hustler said:

Why would I make that up?
Have no clue why you made that up.. Off your meds?

squistion said:
Carolina Hustler said:
timschochet said:

lol "conservatives"

You guys are all ding bats imo....

Users who are viewing this thread