What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Actors with limited range (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
List folks who basically always play the same character.  Go.

Gene Hackman

Tommy Lee Jones

Funny as I was going to post Tom Hanks as well. Always plays the same sympathetic character.
I would say the range between cognitively disabled football player/Nam vet to dying gay man with AIDs pretty clearly showed major range. Every actor brings certain characteristics that casting directors look for and so certain qualities almost always repeat: Hanks being likable, Pitt being attractive but dangerous, Owen Wilson's deprecating neurotic sense of humor, VV being cool and sarcastic. The difference is I don't think I have ever really seen Wilson or VV transform into a character the way Hanks did in Gump or Pitt did in Snatch- even if they still retain their innate qualities. The tougher question is, which actors regularly lose themselves completely in their roles?

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Sandler
Seriously? He's played an adult forced back to elementary school, a waterboy turned college football player, a pro golfer, a professional singer, a commando turned hair stylist, the son of the devil, a would be rockstar turned machine gun wielding hostage taker, and a man in counseling for anger issues. He's only one tier below Daniel Day Lewis. 

I would say the range between cognitively disabled football player/Nam vet to dying gay man with AIDs pretty clearly showed major range. Every actor brings certain characteristics that casting directors look for and so certain qualities almost always repeat: Hanks being likable, Pitt being attractive but dangerous, Owen Wilson's deprecating neurotic sense of humor, VV being cool and sarcastic. The difference is I don't think I have ever really seen Wilson or VV transform into a character the way Hanks did in Gump or Pitt did in Snatch- even if they still retain their innate qualities. The tougher question is, which actors regularly lose themselves completely in their roles?
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis to being the best.

For the original question have to add Denzel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Philip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis to being the best.

For the original question have to add Denzel.
Totaly agree on PSH and DDL. I would add Dustin Hoffman, 

I wouldn't put Denzel is the category of actors that totally transformed, but I thought Denzel had good range: plays good guys, bad guys, hot headed violent people, calm intellectual people, historical/genre movies, etc.

Totaly agree on PSH and DDL. I would add Dustin Hoffman, 

I wouldn't put Denzel is the category of actors that totally transformed, but I thought Denzel had good range: plays good guys, bad guys, hot headed violent people, calm intellectual people, historical/genre movies, etc.
After thinking about it you are right on Denzel and he generally picks good roles. He does kind of have the same the same thing going on all the time but you are right he has played a huge variety of characters.

Gene Hackman should not be on the list unless you only watch his last couple films.
I think Hackman is a good actor and I'm not sure I include him here either, but he is usually the rough, tough, no BS cop/detective/coach

Users who are viewing this thread