What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson injury thread (1 Viewer)

From Rotoworld, for what it's worth:

ESPN's Vikings blogger Ben Goessling reports Adrian Peterson (foot) will not need surgery, but he is not expected to play in Week 15 against the Eagles.
Peterson is in a walking boot after suffering what the Vikings are calling a "mid-foot sprain" Sunday against the Ravens. The news that he doesn't need surgery is great for the long term, but we still need to consider Peterson questionable at best for the remainder of the 2013 season. The Vikings are 3-9-1. They'll be in full-blown evaluation mode for the final three weeks. Risking the franchise player's health may not be worth it. For however long Peterson is sidelined, Toby Gerhart will handle lead-back duties. He needs to be owned.
Related: Toby Gerhart

Source: Ben Goessling on Twitter
Dec 9 - 9:37 PM

There's no question AP plays. Just how effective he'll be.
AP agrees with you, but it may be out of his hands. Silly to jeopardize the future, no matter how small the risk, in a lost season like this.
AP saw Shady take the lead for the rushing title. He will talk to Wilf directly if they try to shut him down. I'm playing against him this week (in fantasy and fandom) but still, he's A freakin P.

AP agrees with you, but it may be out of his hands. Silly to jeopardize the future, no matter how small the risk, in a lost season like this.
Isn't every season for Minnesota basically lost?
?They were a playoff team last year.
If you saw the Vegas odds for them to return this year, you would know that was a fluke.

Latest scans confirmed no fractures or structural damage, but he'll remain in a walking boot and is very questionable for Week 15.

Vikings: If Peterson's out, who runs?

By Ben Goessling | ESPN.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Ordinarily, Monday night's news that Adrian Peterson will likely miss Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles wouldn't short circuit the Minnesota Vikings' offense. They have a capable No. 2 running back in Toby Gerhart, who ran for more than 500 yards in 2011 when Peterson tore his ACL on Christmas Eve and helped the Vikings to the brink of victory with a 41-yard touchdown run on Sunday in Baltimore.

But Gerhart strained his hamstring on that touchdown run and could be challenged to make it back for Sunday's game. Coach Leslie Frazier said on Monday that the Vikings would continue to be a run-first team, even if Peterson and Gerhart are both out or limited by injuries, but the situation could put the ball in the hands of some unfamiliar names.

Third-string running back Matt Asiata would be the first candidate to get more carries. Asiata beat out Joe Banyard for the final running back spot in training camp, partially because of his contributions on special teams, but he also played well in the Vikings' preseason finale against the Houston Texans. Asiata carried eight times for 32 yards and a touchdown that night, starting the game at running back and showing some power between the tackles. Banyard, who is still on the practice squad, could also be a candidate for some work against the Eagles; he posted 116 rushing and receiving yards in the final preseason game against the Texans.

The other name to keep an eye on might be fullback Jerome Felton, who's fond of reminding Peterson how much he carried the ball as a running back in college. He left Furman with the school's touchdown record, and has logged 42 NFL carries -- though he's never taken a handoff with the Vikings.

"Obviously [we have] Matt Asiata. Joe Banyard, he’s on the practice squad right now, so I don’t know if they’ll bring him up or what," Felton said. "Myself, I’ve had experience running the ball in this league, and if I’m called upon I’ll be ready.”

We also saw receiver Cordarrelle Patterson take a handoff 32 yards for a touchdown on Dec. 1 against the Chicago Bears, so he could see a few carries against the Eagles. It's interesting to hear Frazier say the Vikings won't change from their run-first philosophy, even if their personnel is as limited as it appears it could be this week. But the Vikings also have a decision to make at quarterback with Christian Ponder cleared to return from a concussion; Matt Cassel threw for 265 yards in the snow on Sunday, but Frazier wouldn't announce a starter on Monday.

They haven't been the kind of team to lean heavily on their passing game, and with all the uncertainty the Vikings have at quarterback, they might not start this week. The alternatives, though, appear to be hoping Gerhart heals quickly or turning to an unusual set of options.

Raider Nation said:
Peterson and Gerhart each missed practice again today, per RW.

Tomorrow will answer a lot of questions.
What if you have Ryan Mathews playing tonight.... :ph34r: Along with Andre Brown....

Raider Nation said:

What if you have Ryan Mathews playing tonight.... :ph34r: Along with Andre Brown....
Thursday night football is fantasy hell.
Agreed. Playing Mathews tonight, which will in turn my Sunday morning into fantasy hell. Cannot risk a 0 from ADP.
I have that covered. Since I am sitting ADP and playing Ball tonight Peterson is a lock for 100 yards and 2 tds. I am taking one for the team, thank me later guys.

Raider Nation said:

Thursday night football is fantasy hell.
Agreed. Playing Mathews tonight, which will in turn my Sunday morning into fantasy hell. Cannot risk a 0 from ADP.
I suddenly realize im starting 3 Chargers and 2 Broncos (neither named Manning) tonight... At least it'll be quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297617/article/adrian-peterson-questionable-for-week-15-matchup

The week for Adrian Peterson started with concerns that he might miss the rest of the season. Now he might not even miss a game.

Minnesota Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier announced Friday that Peterson is questionable with a foot injury for Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles. His backup Toby Gerhart is also questionable for the game. Frazier indicated Peterson would be a gametime decision.

Peterson and Gerhart both did light drills at Friday's practice. Frazier indicated that Peterson's stride looked good.

"He looked far better than I anticipated," Frazier said. "It was impressive, when you consider the initial diagnosis. He's unique."
:popcorn:

Had to sit him for Woodhead...the Thursday thing has not been an issue for me until this week...now I think it is teh suck.

Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhart are both listed as questionable for the Minnesota Vikings after the top two running backs on the run-first team both suffered injuries last Sunday.Peterson suffered a right mid-foot sprain in the second quarter and Gerhart suffered a hamstring strain in the fourth quarter.

Peterson and Gerhart both went through the individual portion of practice, catching passes while jogging routes, and were listed as limited on the injury report. Peterson appeared to be laboring at times but said he was confident he could play.

“I feel pretty confident. I feel pretty good. I’m excited I feel the way I do, based off the injury and the time I’ve had to kind of rejuvenate the body and rehab the foot to get the strength back,” he said.

Peterson declined to say if he could play if the game were on Friday, but said another two days of healing should help. Planting on the foot was the most troubling part, the reigning NFL MVP said.

“I’ve been kind of testing it out as far as putting weight on it all week. It’s pain there, but it’s at the point where you have to suck some of the pain up,” Peterson said. “As far as me trying to put pressure on it, the pain that I do feel I’m able to take that. It’s a different force when you’re out there running and planting and really being explosive.”

If he can’t go, it would be the first game Peterson has missed this year, despite dealing with groin, foot and hamstring injuries.

He has been questionable two other times with the groin injury, against the Ravens last Sunday and against the Green Bay Packers on Nov. 24.

Head coach Leslie Frazier said Peterson’s “gait was good” at Friday’s practice.

“It was impressive when you consider the early diagnosis. So he’s unique, very unique,” Frazier said.

“Like our medical people mentioned to me on Monday, he’s so different than everybody else when it comes to recovering from injuries. We’ve been in situations in the past where you thought he wouldn’t make it and then he made it. It was always in the back of my mind there was a chance he’d make it. He’s amazing.”

Said Gerhart of Peterson: “He’s Superman. As long as there’s not any kryptonite I think he’ll be alright.”

The medical staff, coaching staff and Peterson will talk about his progress on Saturday and he could be a game-time decision.

But even if he doesn’t play Sunday, Peterson said there are no thoughts in his mind about shutting it down for the rest of the season.

“Not at all, man. That’s just not my mentality, leaving these guys out to dry, just because, what the heck, my passion for the game – I love the game too much to sit out just because,” he said. “If I’m out, you’re going to know that he can’t go.”

Frazier said he will always listen to an injured player and take into consideration what the player has to say. Peterson has said in the past that he lobbies to play.

“He doesn’t like to sit. He believes he’s more than capable of getting out there and he’ll let you know, but we’ll see what happens,” Frazier said.

Gerhart said he will continue to get treatment and take his hamstring injury day by day.

“It was the first day to actually get on the field and move around,” he said. “We’ve done stuff in the training room and underwater treadmill stuff, but to get out there and move around it felt pretty good.”
http://min.scout.com/2/1356545.html

Help me out here...

All of the news coming out of Minnesota yesterday seemed to indicate that Peterson was gonna tough it out and give it a go. Then in today's FBG email update, they are still saying "Gerhart is more likely to play than Peterson", which seems like Thursday's news.

:help:

Help me out here...

All of the news coming out of Minnesota yesterday seemed to indicate that Peterson was gonna tough it out and give it a go. Then in today's FBG email update, they are still saying "Gerhart is more likely to play than Peterson", which seems like Thursday's news.

We probably won't know until after 11 am tomorrow. If possible I'd plan on starting someone other than Peterson and Gerhart, even if one or both is active.

Well, here is our first clue.

Vikings RB Joe Banyard has been signed off practice squad.

Which almost certainly means that they've already ruled out either Peterson or Gerhart, if not both of them.

Help me out here...

New to FBG's e-mail updates?

Isn't every season for Minnesota basically lost?
?They were a playoff team last year.
If you saw the Vegas odds for them to return this year, you would know that was a fluke.
?

They were in the playoffs last year. So it wasn't a lost season.

If AD can't go I am left with either bush on Monday night or Pierre Thomas on Sunday

Sounds like I have to go with Thomas since bush will be game timd decision

Timing of MNF sucks at playoff time

Anyone want to suggest I should roll the dice with Bush. ??

Depends on if you think you can win without him...if u need lots o points roll the bush bones.Otherwise roll the Pierre bones.

Kind of an odd deal this week ... If AP is out then I can see what my opponent does on the 1 pm games before I pull the trigger on pierre 4:25 pm game vs bush

If AP goes then my thought is to ride with who brung me so to speak

From the same guy....

And #Vikings RB Toby Gerhart also not expected to play, which means lots of Matt Asiata and even Joe Banyard.

Eagles def is going to destroy them
Lord help me, but I just picked up Cassel to start for me in a semifinal game. NO running game, at home, gonna be trailing, weapons on the outside and facing the 29th-ranked pass defense. It's the very definition of lightning in a bottle.

Full disclosure: my only other options were Rodgers (OUT), Flynn (sucks) or Cousins (dysfunctional team), so it's not like I'm sitting Brees.

Users who are viewing this thread