What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFFL Payouts, from the horses mouth (1 Viewer)

Bob@AFFL

Footballguy
Hello All,

The history of the AFFL has been well documented, inaccurately in alot of cases, on the internet. We have chosen not to discuss in public forums what we feel are private matters between us and our prize winners. Because of this, and the fact that we have chosen not to defend ourselves against some of the ridiculous accusations that are floating around out there, we have been labeled by some as criminals, thieves, or shady. This has not been much of a concern to this point, because our site, as well as our industry, is directed to an adult audience, and therefore, it is assumed that you guys know that you cannot always believe everything you read on the internet. It is expected, as by any company, that players can formulate their own opinions, and see uninformed bashing for what it is. That is why we do not discuss things publicly. People that have chosen to contact us via phone or email have usually left the conversation satisfied and much more informed than some people that claim to be "in the know" about our situation. Needless to say that this is a business and, of course, there are some Fantasy Football Players (Champions even) out there who might say or imply things, hoping that the AFFL would cease to exist. Many inaccurate posts that I have read in cyberland, on various message boards, are made by people that are not even customers, let alone owed money. People are entitled to their opinions, but as with any opinion, others need to realize just that. They are merely a person's opinions. To get any amount of truth or verification to formulate one's own opinion, players are more than welcome, and encouraged to contact us with any of their concerns.

For the record, since we took over this contest in late 2008, the following has happened. We have run contests in every one of the last 4 years. All 2008 prize winners were paid in full. All 2010 and 2011 prize winners have been paid in full. In 2009, we experienced financial difficulty. We did not con, steal, scheme, defraud, or run away with anybody's money. We did not take entry fees and invest them in real estate. We did not run a "ponzi" scheme. What we did do was send out money to almost every single prize winner. Initially, we sent full payments, ½ payments, and ¼ payments to the prize winners. The only people who did not receive at least a ¼ payment were our grand prize winners, but they all did receive a payment. We divided what money we had to ensure that all winners would get an initial payment. To date, of the over 300 prize winners in 2009 there are approximately 32 remaining that we owe money to. Over 268 have been paid in full. We have sent out payments as recently as March 2012 and are hoping to send out more in the months to come. We have been doing what we can to find and raise money. As the company takes in money, we send out checks. We are not using entry fees to pay 09 winners. We only use investor contributions, personal funds, or profit to pay 09 winners. We made changes to the structure of the contest two years ago to ensure that a repeat of 09 would not happen. Those changes will likely remain in effect this year. The biggest of those changes was the postponement of the usage of 2007 credits. The 2007 credits were the biggest contributor to the financial difficulty we experienced in 2009.

We have only ever tried to do what was right for the AFFL customers, starting in 2007 when we extended over $600,000 in dollar for dollar credits to the unpaid customers of the previous owner. That is not something that we had to do. However, if we hadn't, then anybody that was owed money from 2007 would have received nothing. There have been numerous companies, both before and after 2007, that have folded and paid out nobody. Rarely is anything said about them. Out of sight, out of mind. (I personally was owed money in 2007 from the previous owner as well as another company in 2008 that is now defunct.) I suppose we could have done that. Just closed shop, filed for bankruptcy, and that would be that. Move on with our lives. Every once in a while someone might bring it up on some message board, but all in all the stress and problems would be gone.

However, we choose to stay in business, to fight for what we believe in, to do whatever we can to make sure that we pay the people that we owe money to, and we are crucified by certain people time and time again. People who would apparently like to see us go out of business and file for bankruptcy. Hey, that would mean that our customers would have to find a new place to play. I often see comments asking how are we able to stay in business, how do we have partners, or how can people play with us. Well, it’s because most people realize that we are honest guys doing what we can to correct a mistake. A mistake that should have been avoided but was not, granted. We have learned from our mistakes and are moving forward, working to correct them.

Believe me when I tell you that this has not been easy. It is gut wrenching knowing that we still owe people money. This is not something that we have taken lightly. Again, we have not chosen the easy road out as other defunct contests have. We are working to make things right. We have expressed our sincere apologies to the remaining prize winners time and time again. We at the AFFL are lucky to have such loyal customers and would like to thank each and every one of them who have reached out to us over the years, gotten the facts, and continued to play with us.

I'm sure you know that you can never please everyone. Some people just like to bash and complain. We have never said that we were not going to pay. Money does not grow on trees though, as I'm sure you guys know. We have put everything that we have into this. In this economy, and under these circumstances, it is not easy to secure funding.

To the few remaining 09 prize winners that may see this, we appreciate the patience and understanding that most of you have shown us. Thank you so much, really. To those of you who are frustrated, we do not blame you, we understand your frustration. There is no excuse for some 09 prize winners still not being paid in full. There is only an explanation. As to the future payouts, we have a strategy and most of the remaining 09 prize winners know what it is.

To the few 07 winners that still have unused credits with us, our agreements will still be honored. We simply cannot continue doing business as we did in the first two years. That would only lead to the end of the AFFL. Anyone still holding credits will be allowed to use them once the postponement is lifted, likely next year. Most likely it will be in portions of what they have in credit. Again, it is our intention to pay the remaining 09 winners in full and honor all the agreements made with the 07 winners. The only question is the timeline in which this will be accomplished, and that is a question we do not have an answer to.

As for the lawsuit that was filed, there is a lot that I would like to say, but let me only say this. I have seen on message boards that it has recently been made public that the 2009 gold prize winner, who filed the lawsuit, happened to be partners with a co-owner of a competing contest. It is my opinion that the fact that a competitor of ours was involved had a lot to do with the lawsuit being filed. I'll only point out that every other 2009 prize winner that was not initially paid in full, with the exception of the one associated with our competition, showed extreme patience and understanding with us back then, and some still continue to. We would like to thank them all again. For some their patience has already paid off as they have received their checks paying them their balance due. For the few remaining, it will pay off soon.

Believe me; I am not trying to take away from the fact that we did indeed owe the money. I am simply saying that we never said we were not going to pay, we simply needed time. More time than they were willing to give so the lawsuit was filed. In fairness, we were offered a payment plan; however, the time frame for payments would have been impossible to comply with. I can honestly say that if that lawsuit had not been filed, causing the negative repercussions that it did, I believe all 2009 prize winners would have been paid in full by now.

Further, I am aware that there are some startup websites out there that are desperate to gain credibility and recognition. Sites that I would like to believe started with the best intentions but have now, in my opinion, transformed into promotional tools. I guess posting stories with inaccurate headlines on a dead message board and trying to solicit stories perceived as scandalous is a way to do that. I have a scandalous story I'd like to share. Back in 2007 every single prize winner that was owed money by the previous owner was given the option to pursue him for their money or offered a credit in the exact amount of their winnings with the new contest. It was an offer that had an expiration date. Over 90% of the prize winners took advantage of that offer and were issued credits. The rest opted out. Well over a year later, at the start of the 2009 season, we were contacted by an old 07 prize winner who now wanted to take advantage of the offer that had expired. Although we were under no obligation to do so, we compromised and issued that old winner a free team in our Gold level, in which he won money and was paid in full when the first round of 2009 prize checks went out. This is someone, who considers himself important in our industry, who had knowledge that checks had in fact been sent out but rarely, if ever, brings it up. Scandalous don't you think.

This is just a brief summary of what has happened. I will not be defending, debating, or explaining anything else from this post in public forums. Both Bob and my phone numbers and email address' are well documented. If anyone has any questions please feel free to call or email us. Contrary to some posts out there, as I'm sure many of you can vouch for, calls and emails to us do not go unanswered, sometimes it may take a day, sometimes two, but rarely, if ever go unanswered.

In closing, this is only an attempt to briefly show that we are in no way criminals. That we are working towards a goal, to complete the 09 payouts asap, and reestablish the AFFL as a premier contest. We accept and acknowledge responsibility for what happened but we will move forward. To help, we are securing all 2012 prizes in an attorney escrow account. If you are interested in playing with us, you are welcome. If not, good luck to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I'm sure there will be plenty posted about this brief statement. Good luck to you all this year.

P.S. When all is said and done, when we have made good on our 2009 obligations, as well as the 2007 obligations we took on from the previous owner, I believe our story will be a shining light for this industry, not a black eye.

Wade and Bob

Hello All,

The history of the AFFL has been well documented, inaccurately in alot of cases, on the internet. We have chosen not to discuss in public forums what we feel are private matters between us and our prize winners. Because of this, and the fact that we have chosen not to defend ourselves against some of the ridiculous accusations that are floating around out there, we have been labeled by some as criminals, thieves, or shady. This has not been much of a concern to this point, because our site, as well as our industry, is directed to an adult audience, and therefore, it is assumed that you guys know that you cannot always believe everything you read on the internet. It is expected, as by any company, that players can formulate their own opinions, and see uninformed bashing for what it is. That is why we do not discuss things publicly. People that have chosen to contact us via phone or email have usually left the conversation satisfied and much more informed than some people that claim to be "in the know" about our situation. Needless to say that this is a business and, of course, there are some Fantasy Football Players (Champions even) out there who might say or imply things, hoping that the AFFL would cease to exist. Many inaccurate posts that I have read in cyberland, on various message boards, are made by people that are not even customers, let alone owed money. People are entitled to their opinions, but as with any opinion, others need to realize just that. They are merely a person's opinions. To get any amount of truth or verification to formulate one's own opinion, players are more than welcome, and encouraged to contact us with any of their concerns.

For the record, since we took over this contest in late 2008, the following has happened. We have run contests in every one of the last 4 years. All 2008 prize winners were paid in full. All 2010 and 2011 prize winners have been paid in full. In 2009, we experienced financial difficulty. We did not con, steal, scheme, defraud, or run away with anybody's money. We did not take entry fees and invest them in real estate. We did not run a "ponzi" scheme. What we did do was send out money to almost every single prize winner. Initially, we sent full payments, ½ payments, and ¼ payments to the prize winners. The only people who did not receive at least a ¼ payment were our grand prize winners, but they all did receive a payment. We divided what money we had to ensure that all winners would get an initial payment. To date, of the over 300 prize winners in 2009 there are approximately 32 remaining that we owe money to. Over 268 have been paid in full. We have sent out payments as recently as March 2012 and are hoping to send out more in the months to come. We have been doing what we can to find and raise money. As the company takes in money, we send out checks. We are not using entry fees to pay 09 winners. We only use investor contributions, personal funds, or profit to pay 09 winners. We made changes to the structure of the contest two years ago to ensure that a repeat of 09 would not happen. Those changes will likely remain in effect this year. The biggest of those changes was the postponement of the usage of 2007 credits. The 2007 credits were the biggest contributor to the financial difficulty we experienced in 2009.

We have only ever tried to do what was right for the AFFL customers, starting in 2007 when we extended over $600,000 in dollar for dollar credits to the unpaid customers of the previous owner. That is not something that we had to do. However, if we hadn't, then anybody that was owed money from 2007 would have received nothing. There have been numerous companies, both before and after 2007, that have folded and paid out nobody. Rarely is anything said about them. Out of sight, out of mind. (I personally was owed money in 2007 from the previous owner as well as another company in 2008 that is now defunct.) I suppose we could have done that. Just closed shop, filed for bankruptcy, and that would be that. Move on with our lives. Every once in a while someone might bring it up on some message board, but all in all the stress and problems would be gone.

However, we choose to stay in business, to fight for what we believe in, to do whatever we can to make sure that we pay the people that we owe money to, and we are crucified by certain people time and time again. People who would apparently like to see us go out of business and file for bankruptcy. Hey, that would mean that our customers would have to find a new place to play. I often see comments asking how are we able to stay in business, how do we have partners, or how can people play with us. Well, it’s because most people realize that we are honest guys doing what we can to correct a mistake. A mistake that should have been avoided but was not, granted. We have learned from our mistakes and are moving forward, working to correct them.

Believe me when I tell you that this has not been easy. It is gut wrenching knowing that we still owe people money. This is not something that we have taken lightly. Again, we have not chosen the easy road out as other defunct contests have. We are working to make things right. We have expressed our sincere apologies to the remaining prize winners time and time again. We at the AFFL are lucky to have such loyal customers and would like to thank each and every one of them who have reached out to us over the years, gotten the facts, and continued to play with us.

I'm sure you know that you can never please everyone. Some people just like to bash and complain. We have never said that we were not going to pay. Money does not grow on trees though, as I'm sure you guys know. We have put everything that we have into this. In this economy, and under these circumstances, it is not easy to secure funding.

To the few remaining 09 prize winners that may see this, we appreciate the patience and understanding that most of you have shown us. Thank you so much, really. To those of you who are frustrated, we do not blame you, we understand your frustration. There is no excuse for some 09 prize winners still not being paid in full. There is only an explanation. As to the future payouts, we have a strategy and most of the remaining 09 prize winners know what it is.

To the few 07 winners that still have unused credits with us, our agreements will still be honored. We simply cannot continue doing business as we did in the first two years. That would only lead to the end of the AFFL. Anyone still holding credits will be allowed to use them once the postponement is lifted, likely next year. Most likely it will be in portions of what they have in credit. Again, it is our intention to pay the remaining 09 winners in full and honor all the agreements made with the 07 winners. The only question is the timeline in which this will be accomplished, and that is a question we do not have an answer to.

As for the lawsuit that was filed, there is a lot that I would like to say, but let me only say this. I have seen on message boards that it has recently been made public that the 2009 gold prize winner, who filed the lawsuit, happened to be partners with a co-owner of a competing contest. It is my opinion that the fact that a competitor of ours was involved had a lot to do with the lawsuit being filed. I'll only point out that every other 2009 prize winner that was not initially paid in full, with the exception of the one associated with our competition, showed extreme patience and understanding with us back then, and some still continue to. We would like to thank them all again. For some their patience has already paid off as they have received their checks paying them their balance due. For the few remaining, it will pay off soon.

Believe me; I am not trying to take away from the fact that we did indeed owe the money. I am simply saying that we never said we were not going to pay, we simply needed time. More time than they were willing to give so the lawsuit was filed. In fairness, we were offered a payment plan; however, the time frame for payments would have been impossible to comply with. I can honestly say that if that lawsuit had not been filed, causing the negative repercussions that it did, I believe all 2009 prize winners would have been paid in full by now.

Further, I am aware that there are some startup websites out there that are desperate to gain credibility and recognition. Sites that I would like to believe started with the best intentions but have now, in my opinion, transformed into promotional tools. I guess posting stories with inaccurate headlines on a dead message board and trying to solicit stories perceived as scandalous is a way to do that. I have a scandalous story I'd like to share. Back in 2007 every single prize winner that was owed money by the previous owner was given the option to pursue him for their money or offered a credit in the exact amount of their winnings with the new contest. It was an offer that had an expiration date. Over 90% of the prize winners took advantage of that offer and were issued credits. The rest opted out. Well over a year later, at the start of the 2009 season, we were contacted by an old 07 prize winner who now wanted to take advantage of the offer that had expired. Although we were under no obligation to do so, we compromised and issued that old winner a free team in our Gold level, in which he won money and was paid in full when the first round of 2009 prize checks went out. This is someone, who considers himself important in our industry, who had knowledge that checks had in fact been sent out but rarely, if ever, brings it up. Scandalous don't you think.

This is just a brief summary of what has happened. I will not be defending, debating, or explaining anything else from this post in public forums. Both Bob and my phone numbers and email address' are well documented. If anyone has any questions please feel free to call or email us. Contrary to some posts out there, as I'm sure many of you can vouch for, calls and emails to us do not go unanswered, sometimes it may take a day, sometimes two, but rarely, if ever go unanswered.

In closing, this is only an attempt to briefly show that we are in no way criminals. That we are working towards a goal, to complete the 09 payouts asap, and reestablish the AFFL as a premier contest. We accept and acknowledge responsibility for what happened but we will move forward. To help, we are securing all 2012 prizes in an attorney escrow account. If you are interested in playing with us, you are welcome. If not, good luck to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I'm sure there will be plenty posted about this brief statement. Good luck to you all this year.

P.S. When all is said and done, when we have made good on our 2009 obligations, as well as the 2007 obligations we took on from the previous owner, I believe our story will be a shining light for this industry, not a black eye.

Wade and Bob
Talk is cheap. Pay what you owe, then post.

Needless to say that this is a business and, of course, there are some Fantasy Football Players (Champions even) out there who might say or imply things, hoping that the AFFL would cease to exist.
Do you really think it's a good idea to post on a board David and Joe provide and take thinly veiled shots at a company they have a business relationship with? You seem to be accusing FFPC of intentionally trying to undermine your business. You can't do that and still claim the moral high ground about people spreading rumors in internet forums. Especially if you are unwilling to explain why you did not pay out the 2009 winners.I have never played AFFL, FFPC or any similar contest so I have no dog in this fight but you come across as a real tool and I certainly won't be playing AFFL in the future.

We made changes to the structure of the contest two years ago to ensure that a repeat of 09 would not happen. Those changes will likely remain in effect this year.

:unsure: Good luck with that. I wouldn't put in any money but that's just me.

Payout then post. The time for talking is long gone. Your words mean little at this juncture.

Otherwise, get lost. You lost the (substantial) support from this board and the players championship has thrived since. Something good came from the failures of your (and other) contests.

Until all money is paid from 2009, I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for by posting. I'd venture to say the majority stopped reading...kinda like you stopped paying. Maybe we'll finish reading in 2.5 years...

Just amazing after 2.5 years you still don't get it. It doesn't matter whether the winner was a co-owner of a competitor or Joe Blow....you owe the money to them regardless.

Hope all winners get their money they're owed. Maybe then, you'll earn back a little support. You will be given nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely logic. "We paid out everything in 2007 (if you count the fact that we gave people free entry in lieu of, you know, actual money like we'd promised them), and then we got into trouble in 2009 because we'd given people free entry." Well, guess what, the problem started in 2007, and you compounded it by continuing to run the contest without sufficient funding.

Why would anyone even consider entering a contest run by these buffoons again? Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't crooks, at the very least they're idiots.

'Pay no attention to the fact we've been unable to pay our debts in the past. Our intentions were pure and we run a great contest now. Trust us...'

I mean, what kind of business model is this? Seriously???

Why would anyone even consider entering a contest run by these buffoons again? Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't crooks, at the very least they're idiots.

'Pay no attention to the fact we've been unable to pay our debts in the past. Our intentions were pure and we run a great contest now. Trust us...'

I mean, what kind of business model is this? Seriously???
One like this?

Lots of excuses, but little facts. I will provide some:

- Wade and Bob BOUGHT this tarnished brand after AFFL fleeced it's customers (under Neil Wickman ownership). Who buys a brand that is known in the industry for defaulting on winnings to the players?

- These new owners then decide to give credits to the fleeced winners and create a situation where it's clear this company is in a hole that it likely can't ever recover from (liabilities weighing the company down).

- Under this new "leadership" they default on a huge percentage of payments to the 2009 winners. They force the winner of the contest to sue for payment of their winnings and settle for substantially less than what is owed. By this own own post on this board, this company still owes many people from 2009. Isn't it 2012 now?

- When the complaints about failure to pay get hot and heavy, this company shuts down their message boards. Their strategy isn't one of full disclosure, but hiding information, talking in circles, etc.

I am in the same crowd as the majority of the posters in this thread. You want credibility, then do credible things. Pay everyone that is owed from 2009 or shut down this train wreck of a company. You bought into a tarnished brand (likely because of how they appear in the search engines, and the software that was provided). so man up and make this work without excuses or get out of the industry. That means paying all past-winnings today not collecting money from new owners and then paying. You don't get a 2.5 year "free pass" to make whole to players you owe money to. You likely will never win the respect of many high stakes players that know FISH (and partner Dave Gerczak) personally, because those are stand up guys. And they needed to sue this company just to get a fraction of what was rightly won by them.

You expect people to take you seriously and you post these paragraphs? People won money. Your company tells them that you don't have any money and to be patient. All will be good in the future. Why wouldn't the winner who was owed $70K sue. It's clear this company did not separate the prize money. This company continued to take in dollars the next years in signups suggesting it is legitimate despite owing all of this money. To somehow claim that this lawsuit (that was brought on by your inability to pay owed prize money) hurt others getting their money is beyond silly. Your company was and is BANKRUPT. You still owe money from 2009 even after negotiating a settlement which screwed over the 2009 winner. Sorry, but you don't get a pass for being bad at what you do. You bought a tarnished brand for what you thought was cheap (I guess). You have done nothing to remove that tarnish and have added a bunch more pain to other players now owed money. You still owe players from 2009. And you want to blame the Grand Prize winner who was owed $70K for suing you YEARS AFTER you still had failed to pay. Wow, how inconsiderate of them. Just torch this company to the ground now. It failed a long time ago.

You expect people to take you seriously and you post these paragraphs? People won money. Your company tells them that you don't have any money and to be patient. All will be good in the future. Why wouldn't the winner who was owed $70K sue. It's clear this company did not separate the prize money. This company continued to take in dollars the next years in signups suggesting it is legitimate despite owing all of this money. To somehow claim that this lawsuit (that was brought on by your inability to pay owed prize money) hurt others getting their money is beyond silly. Your company was and is BANKRUPT. You still owe money from 2009 even after negotiating a settlement which screwed over the 2009 winner. Sorry, but you don't get a pass for being bad at what you do. You bought a tarnished brand for what you thought was cheap (I guess). You have done nothing to remove that tarnish and have added a bunch more pain to other players now owed money. You still owe players from 2009. And you want to blame the Grand Prize winner who was owed $70K for suing you YEARS AFTER you still had failed to pay. Wow, how inconsiderate of them. Just torch this company to the ground now. It failed a long time ago.
:goodposting: :goodposting: A man apt to promise, is apt to forget.

Bob and Wade - I wish you the best in getting everyone eventually paid. If what you've posted is true, you've honestly done more than I ever expected. I do think it's poor form to take shots at cetain FBGs on their own board. Joe Bryant probably helped save your company by moving this topic in an obscure forum and giving you guys the benefit of the doubt prior to 2009. After he gave you that courtesy you come back here and point fingers???

But, but, but they never INTENDED not to pay anyone so why not believe them??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I love the different tactics displayed by all these clowns:

Fantasy Jungle: Cut and run never to be heard from again.

WCOFF: Lie, Lie, Lie right until the end and then file Bankruptcy...oh and then blame everyone/everything else for doing it.

AFFL2: Keep running the contest but just tell people to trust us because we will eventually pay everyone....from 3 years ago. Just don't sue us, that's not cool.

I'm not questioning your intent, but you're dead wrong here. Your 2009 season will always be a black eye, even after you pay back all the winnings.

I still wonder why anyone would buy into a company that stole thousands AND keep the same company name. Especially in the day of search engines. Type in AFFL and you get nothing but negative press.

So you got a failed company. And now you got a bad reputation yourself.

AFFL is a failure. Learn from the past and move forward. You aren't getting anywhere with the AFFL name.

Go post your public comments on your message board....if you have decided to (re)open it.

FBG has built a great rep. And it's no coincidence that the fantasy contest they're behind is thriving as a result. You have nothing but a bad rep right now and it's a matter of opinion whether you'll ever dig out from that.

You are the no-floor, low ceiling game at this point. Maybe you can't/don't/won't accept that. Ever having the possibility of becoming more than that will involve paying your customers their rightful winnings.

I understand WHY you are using this platform to make your 'public comments' (huge user base to elicit a reaction) I simply believe that your game and your names are simply so irrelevant at this point it really doesn't matter what you say here.

Your actions will always speak louder than your words.

Bob and Wade - I wish you the best in getting everyone eventually paid. If what you've posted is true, you've honestly done more than I ever expected. I do think it's poor form to take shots at cetain FBGs on their own board. Joe Bryant probably helped save your company by moving this topic in an obscure forum and giving you guys the benefit of the doubt prior to 2009. After he gave you that courtesy you come back here and point fingers???
Thanks Bass. No worries on the shots or finger pointing - part of the job. All I want is really not very complicated: For all the owners to get paid what they're owed. Period. I will add though that communication is the first step. Nothing can happen until communication starts. So that's good. BUT, there has to be action following up on the communication. If there isn't, then it's just talk. We'll see.J

But, but, but they never INTENDED not to pay anyone so why not believe them??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I love the different tactics displayed by all these clowns:

Fantasy Jungle: Cut and run never to be heard from again.

WCOFF: Lie, Lie, Lie right until the end and then file Bankruptcy...oh and then blame everyone/everything else for doing it.

AFFL2: Keep running the contest but just tell people to trust us because we will eventually pay everyone....from 3 years ago. Just don't sue us, that's not cool.
dont forget ffoc. stiff everyone then start a new fantasy contest the next yr.

This post confirms what kind of people you are. Using your tone and preaching to people when you still owe money and acting like you are doing this great service because you didnt go out of business. Get lost man you are a joke of a operator and are full of lies.

I don't question that you guys are trying to do right in difficult circumstances. You made a mistake 5 years ago when you bought the brand, compounded the mistake by giving out credits (and eviscerating your own revenue-producing potential), compounded it again by not paying out in 2009, and are now compounding it further. You probably feel frustrated because you feel like good guys in way over your heads but trying to do right by everyone, and you wonder why everyone else can't see it. I get that, but people will ultimately judge you by your actions and not your intentions, and all your actions to this point have been one gigantic orgy of incompetence. You still owe people from 3 years ago with no firm schedule for repayment. You've defaulted on grand prizes and settled for substantially less than what was owed. You have a history of repeatedly shutting down your message boards during sign up periods in an effort to squelch, rather than foster, honest and open discussion. And now you come around here and pretend that honesty was all you ever wanted, and you blame the VICTIMS of your game for the structural problems. These problems are not the victims' fault. They are your problem- arising through your own managerial mistakes, however well-intentioned, which led to an inability to meet your obligations or make good on your promises. If I went to a burger joint that served me rat meat instead of hamburgers, it would take a lot to make it right. More than just a statement saying "to everyone complaining about the rat meat- we're sorry, we are great guys with the best of intentions, but if you think about it, it's really your own fault anyway. Now kindly please stop complaining about us on Yelp."

There are many different paths you could have taken. Honestly, short of not buying the brand in the first place and not giving out so much in credits, your best course of action would have been complete honesty in 2009. Open up your books, say "this is what we brought in, this is what we owe, here is the shortfall, here is the reason for that shortfall, here is our solution for that shortfall going forward, and here is our firm schedule for repayment. We're really sorry, we screwed up, but here is our plan to make this brand financially sound, and here is exactly how and when the winners will be receiving their payouts". It still would have been a huge black eye, but as long as you held to your promises to the winners and continued to be open and honest about the process, I think people would have seen you as good guys in over their heads but attempting to do the right thing. Instead, you chose a path of obfuscation and deceit. It's no wonder there's so much ill will directed toward you now. As I said, businesses are judged by actions, not intentions.

Finally, it's clear that you're not a PR professional, but you might want to take lessons from one. This post serves no positive, constructive purpose for you and your partner. It might have felt good to say it, but it will be nothing but destructive for your brand. I think in hindsight, you'll wish you'd stuck to silently taking your lumps. At least out of sight is typically accompanied by out of mind.

In 2009, we experienced financial difficulty. We did not con, steal, scheme, defraud, or run away with anybody's money. We did not take entry fees and invest them in real estate. We did not run a "ponzi" scheme.
So what did you spend people's fees on? Hookers and blow?

I have a couple of quick thoughts, then I refuse to burn any more of my time on the AAFL

1. I don't understand how you have received a free pass for letting Neil off the hook. You issued credits to the 2007 unpaid winners to use in subsiquent years only if they signed an agreement to hold Neil harmlees for not paying his 2007 winners. That smelled when you did it, and it reeks years later when people can't use those credits.

2. You didn't get sued because one of you grand prize winners has an intrest in another contest. You got sued because you didn't pay. It's June 2012 and you still haven't paid some of your 2009 winners.

I don't question that you guys are trying to do right in difficult circumstances. You made a mistake 5 years ago when you bought the brand, compounded the mistake by giving out credits (and eviscerating your own revenue-producing potential), compounded it again by not paying out in 2009, and are now compounding it further. You probably feel frustrated because you feel like good guys in way over your heads but trying to do right by everyone, and you wonder why everyone else can't see it. I get that, but people will ultimately judge you by your actions and not your intentions, and all your actions to this point have been one gigantic orgy of incompetence. You still owe people from 3 years ago with no firm schedule for repayment. You've defaulted on grand prizes and settled for substantially less than what was owed. You have a history of repeatedly shutting down your message boards during sign up periods in an effort to squelch, rather than foster, honest and open discussion. And now you come around here and pretend that honesty was all you ever wanted, and you blame the VICTIMS of your game for the structural problems. These problems are not the victims' fault. They are your problem- arising through your own managerial mistakes, however well-intentioned, which led to an inability to meet your obligations or make good on your promises. If I went to a burger joint that served me rat meat instead of hamburgers, it would take a lot to make it right. More than just a statement saying "to everyone complaining about the rat meat- we're sorry, we are great guys with the best of intentions, but if you think about it, it's really your own fault anyway. Now kindly please stop complaining about us on Yelp."There are many different paths you could have taken. Honestly, short of not buying the brand in the first place and not giving out so much in credits, your best course of action would have been complete honesty in 2009. Open up your books, say "this is what we brought in, this is what we owe, here is the shortfall, here is the reason for that shortfall, here is our solution for that shortfall going forward, and here is our firm schedule for repayment. We're really sorry, we screwed up, but here is our plan to make this brand financially sound, and here is exactly how and when the winners will be receiving their payouts". It still would have been a huge black eye, but as long as you held to your promises to the winners and continued to be open and honest about the process, I think people would have seen you as good guys in over their heads but attempting to do the right thing. Instead, you chose a path of obfuscation and deceit. It's no wonder there's so much ill will directed toward you now. As I said, businesses are judged by actions, not intentions. Finally, it's clear that you're not a PR professional, but you might want to take lessons from one. This post serves no positive, constructive purpose for you and your partner. It might have felt good to say it, but it will be nothing but destructive for your brand. I think in hindsight, you'll wish you'd stuck to silently taking your lumps. At least out of sight is typically accompanied by out of mind.
Excellent post (minus the burger analogy).

I'm not questioning your intent, but you're dead wrong here. Your 2009 season will always be a black eye, even after you pay back all the winnings.
I'd be willing to wager a decent sum that this has almost no chance of ever happening.As to the OP....Whole lot of pontificating, almost zero action to date after how many years now? *Yawn*

I read the following: blah, blah, blah, We are a ponzi scheme, blah, blah, blah...

Hello All,

Wade and Bob

Question - when you decided to pay 2007 winners with magical free credits, how did you expect to fund those credits? If it was out of some kind of outside, non-entry fee supply of money, then well that's dumb since you obviously didn't have it. If you were planning on funding them with 2009 entry money, well then yes, you ran a Ponzi scheme.

If you guys have any money and are planning to continue to do things like this, you need to hire a PR person ASAP. You sound really whiny for people that, through their own fault, owe a lot of people money. They're only suing us because they work for a competing company. We didn't take the "easy" way out and just close (and stop ripping people off). This has been really hard for us.

Train. Wreck.

Anyone who continues to give these guys money deserves what (isn't) coming to them.

I am a part-owner of the 2009 AFFL Championship team with Jeff Gill. I also own part of both the FFPC and the Footballguys Players Championship (started in 2010, so not relevant to 2009 decisions). Since I own these contests, my options for high stakes fantasy were (and still are) quite limited. Which is why I decided (against my intuition) to help Jeff manage his teams that season. As part of a settlement, I cannot comment on the settlement made in our lawsuit vs. AFFL.

Since they brought it up, I will say that I find it patently unfair for the AFFL ownership to create a whole thread to attempt to insinuate that my ownership stake in FFPC is what led to the lawsuit. It is not like I planned to take part-ownership in the team, win the whole thing and then sue AFFL to benefit my business. That is silly. I am not Nostradamus. We busted our butts in waivers, managing that team, went through many starting lineup decisions and managed it with our best effort to squeak out a win vs Chad Schroeder (who is considered by many to be the best in the business) at the very end. We worked hard, make no mistake. Our goal was the same as anyone: to win and get paid in full. Same goal as anyone else that puts up good money to play fantasy football. Obviously. Frankly, it really pains me for these guys to bring up these old wounds again when I have tried to put them in the past. I have not spoken to Jeff, but I am certain he feels the same way.

:goodposting: People were begging for this information to be out in the open, and buried it was. Still wonder how many folks who frequent this board for fantasy-relevant information would have been spared had they been privy to what actually was unfolding. This con artist is a piece of work. Not sure how some people look themselves in the mirror every day without being completely ashamed at what they've made of themselves.

I will say that I find it patently unfair for the AFFL ownership to create a whole thread to attempt to insinuate that my ownership stake in FFPC is what led to the lawsuit. It is not like I planned to take part-ownership in the team, win the whole thing and then sue AFFL to benefit my business. That is silly.
You just have to consider the source here -- the OP -- and move on. Sad that nearly 3 years later, this clown is still spouting garbage like this. (Doesn't matter WHO you were.....you were owed the $$)I'm grateful as a fellow fantasy player that legal action was pursued here.This thread/post/fishing trip was nothing more than an attempt to advertise a dying fantasy contest.

I will say that I find it patently unfair for the AFFL ownership to create a whole thread to attempt to insinuate that my ownership stake in FFPC is what led to the lawsuit. It is not like I planned to take part-ownership in the team, win the whole thing and then sue AFFL to benefit my business. That is silly.
You just have to consider the source here -- the OP -- and move on. Sad that nearly 3 years later, this clown is still spouting garbage like this. (Doesn't matter WHO you were.....you were owed the $$)I'm grateful as a fellow fantasy player that legal action was pursued here.This thread/post/fishing trip was nothing more than an attempt to advertise a dying fantasy contest.
Absolutely agree. The tone of that email was so insulting it is ridiculous. I cannot imagine taking shots at people in an effort to defend how poorly you've run your own business. If it wasn't a Ponzi scheme, I'd like to know where the money went. What a joke.If this were my forum, I'd pin this baby.

The bolded part still somewhat bothers me. I've read Joe's reasons for doing this when it all went down and I still think this topic could have done more good for the integrity of the FF community by having a spot light placed on it instead of a back page thread in a forum with less traffic. As for the initial post, I can't imagine why anyone associated with the AFFL would want to defend their actions/history with a post having such a defensive and accusatory tone. No wonder their track record is such a "train-wreck". I'm sorry, but "good guys" simply wouldn't handle things this way regardless of the cards they've been dealt or situations they've created for themselves.

I read the following: blah, blah, blah, We are a ponzi scheme, blah, blah, blah...
This is what I believe the average fantasy player sees (especially any directly affected by this). They parse out good intentions, mental anguish and positive spins as they read. When they're done doing that, a 2000 word essay is reduced to a few sentences - things like "people still aren't paid" and "no clear indication of when that will change". I'm sure the OP feels like this represents some sort of update but from the other side of the coin, it really doesn't look that way.

Hey guys:

Attached is the official response I sent to Bob@AFFL, regarding this thread.

Official Response

I hope he takes heed of the message and understands that I am not alone in this sentiment.

Best wishes in the future. You'll need it.

let this be a lesson to all who send money into whatever organization... make sure it goes into a reputable bank's escrow account.

Otherwise, ALL contests like this are really just a FF version of a Nigerian scam.

I don't think this thread turned out as the OP had intended. :unsure: :tfp:
That's because what he said he wanted to do (set the record straight) and what he actually did (made excuses, blamed the victims, and displayed a lack of understanding for the perception of their company) are so different.

Users who are viewing this thread