What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ahmad Brooks MLB? (2 Viewers)

Brooks played end on the majority of the nickel snaps with Geathers out tonight. He even played tackle on one down. Rarely pressured the pocket and gave up at the snap on at least two occasions, including the first Atlanta TD pass.

Brooks played end on the majority of the nickel snaps with Geathers out tonight. He even played tackle on one down. Rarely pressured the pocket and gave up at the snap on at least two occasions, including the first Atlanta TD pass.
Is Geathers Hurt?

Is Geathers Hurt?
Rib injury last week. May keep him out of practice and the final preseason game but he's expected to be ready in Week 1.
Is Geathers an up and comer? Do you think he can reach 40 solos and 11 sacks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Geathers Hurt?
Rib injury last week. May keep him out of practice and the final preseason game but he's expected to be ready in Week 1.
Definitely.

Is Geathers Hurt?
Definitely.
ONe last thing, will Geathers be an everydown player this year?

Is Geathers Hurt?
Definitely.
ONe last thing, will Geathers be an everydown player this year?
It looked that way in the first two preseason games.

I thought Brooks was a 3-down backer this season?
His and the comments of the coaching staff suggested that before camp. He has played only sparingly in the nickel package thus far in the preseason and only with the second and third teams. The pass rushing DE business is a non-issue and silly to me. If you're trying to coach this kid up as an all-around MLB, giving him yet another new responsibility isn't very bright.
So would you say that Brooks is slipping and Landon Johnson is climbing in the rankings?

His and the comments of the coaching staff suggested that before camp. He has played only sparingly in the nickel package thus far in the preseason and only with the second and third teams. The pass rushing DE business is a non-issue and silly to me. If you're trying to coach this kid up as an all-around MLB, giving him yet another new responsibility isn't very bright.
So would you say that Brooks is slipping and Landon Johnson is climbing in the rankings?
Landon Johnson is undervalued right now. You can get him for next to nothing. He is a WLB and likely a 3 down one. He has put up solid numbers in the past. He was 26th in FBG scoring last year.

Absolutely. Johnson led the team in tackles last year in a very similar situation -- Brooks struggling in the middle, questionable safety play, only every down linebacker. Hartwell has been moved inside and Marshall is no threat to take snaps away leaving Johnson no competition. No reason to think he can't be a very good LB3 again this year.

Absolutely. Johnson led the team in tackles last year in a very similar situation -- Brooks struggling in the middle, questionable safety play, only every down linebacker. Hartwell has been moved inside and Marshall is no threat to take snaps away leaving Johnson no competition. No reason to think he can't be a very good LB3 again this year.
Good insight, thanks.

According to the news blogger...

"Cincinnati Bengals LB Rashad Jeanty will have surgery Friday on a lower leg injury."

Anybody know what this is all about?

According to the news blogger..."Cincinnati Bengals LB Rashad Jeanty will have surgery Friday on a lower leg injury."Anybody know what this is all about?
Saw that earlier today. Bengals are so tight-lipped about these things that we won't know until after Jeanty is recovered. Best guess is that Jeanty's rib issue was a bigger deal than initially thought and he's got some chronic deal (i.e. bone spur in ankle or something related to the foot injury from last year) that could be taken care of while the rib injury finished healing.Probably moves Hartwell (or Miller) into the lineup at the WLB spot with Johnson moving to the SLB.

it's sounding like C.Miller playing WLB Brooks MLb and Johnson playing SLB while Jeanty is out

Johnson will probably go back to WLB when Jeanty returns

I listened to Dave Lapham (ex Bengal now Bengals analyst) on the radio today, he says Hartwell is on the bubble to make the team.

he says he isn't running good, he thinks Marshall fits better as a back up to each position.

Comment from Lewis:

-- Brooks Looks Good as Third Down Pass Rusher --

Thu Aug 30, 2007 --from FFMastermind.com

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports Bengals HC Marvin Lewis liked what he saw from MLB Ahmad Brooks Monday at Atlanta, where Brooks worked on third down as a pass rusher off the end. "In the base defense, I thought he did a much better job this game than he had against New Orleans," Lewis said.

Comment from Lewis:-- Brooks Looks Good as Third Down Pass Rusher --Thu Aug 30, 2007 --from FFMastermind.comThe Cincinnati Enquirer reports Bengals HC Marvin Lewis liked what he saw from MLB Ahmad Brooks Monday at Atlanta, where Brooks worked on third down as a pass rusher off the end. "In the base defense, I thought he did a much better job this game than he had against New Orleans," Lewis said.
That's what he's doing in today's game. 1 sack so far.

From the FBG news blogger:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0044/1066/rss07

Hamilton County Municipal Judge John Burlew threw out a probation violation charge against Bengals LB Odell Thurman but issued a stern warning, "Walk the line." Thurman was arrested last September for operating a vehicle intoxicated and without a license. Burlew sentenced Thurman to spend six days in a alcohol treatment program, spend two years on probation and fined him $250. He also suspended Thurman's driver's license. Thurman did not follow Burlew's orders, which led to his probation violation charge. Thurman, however, has since paid all fines and sought treatment.
When is he eligible to apply for reinstatement again? Does this affect that at all?

Hamilton County Municipal Judge John Burlew threw out a probation violation charge against Bengals LB Odell Thurman but issued a stern warning, "Walk the line." Thurman was arrested last September for operating a vehicle intoxicated and without a license. Burlew sentenced Thurman to spend six days in a alcohol treatment program, spend two years on probation and fined him $250. He also suspended Thurman's driver's license. Thurman did not follow Burlew's orders, which led to his probation violation charge. Thurman, however, has since paid all fines and sought treatment.
When is he eligible to apply for reinstatement again? Does this affect that at all?
Nope. Damage is done for this year unless something happens with his appeal, which I'd think is unlikely. Next shot at reinstatement is 6 months I believe.

Nope. Damage is done for this year unless something happens with his appeal, which I'd think is unlikely. Next shot at reinstatement is 6 months I believe.
Unless his reinstatement was denied because of the probation violation, but that's doubtful. We still don't know why he was denied though.

Unless his reinstatement was denied because of the probation violation, but that's doubtful. We still don't know why he was denied though.
The probation violation probably was a contributing factor, but I think it is unlikely that today's decision would sway the Goodell. The judge threw out the charges because Thurman has NOW complied with the conditions of his probation - fine and treatment. He had not complied with the conditions in a timely manner - hence the charge and the denial of re-instatement. From Goodell's perspective, it is probably too little too late - Thurman new what he had to do, and did not do so. I am a Bengal fan, so I hope that Goodell does reinstate Thurman, but I think it will be January at the earliest - assuming Thurman keeps out of trouble. For his sake I hope he does - he strikes me as immature, rather than incorrigible ala Vick, Pac Man and Tank Johnson, so I think he deserves another shot.

Other Articles:

September 6, 2007, 23:01

Bengals :: LB

Bengals Shuffle Starting LB Corps

Mark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer -

Cincinnati Bengals weak-side LB, Landon Johnson is expected to shift to the strong-side LB position while starting strong-side LB Rashad Jeanty recovers from leg surgery, with LB Caleb Miller starting on the weak side in place of Johnson.

Other Articles:September 6, 2007, 23:01 Bengals :: LBBengals Shuffle Starting LB CorpsMark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer -Cincinnati Bengals weak-side LB, Landon Johnson is expected to shift to the strong-side LB position while starting strong-side LB Rashad Jeanty recovers from leg surgery, with LB Caleb Miller starting on the weak side in place of Johnson.
I was just about to post this. This pretty much erodes most of the value that Landon Johnson has right? :moneybag: :doh: :cry: :rant: :rant:

Other Articles:September 6, 2007, 23:01 Bengals :: LBBengals Shuffle Starting LB CorpsMark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer -Cincinnati Bengals weak-side LB, Landon Johnson is expected to shift to the strong-side LB position while starting strong-side LB Rashad Jeanty recovers from leg surgery, with LB Caleb Miller starting on the weak side in place of Johnson.
I was just about to post this. This pretty much erodes most of the value that Landon Johnson has right? :moneybag: :doh: :cry: :rant: :rant:
I don't think so. Johnson played SLB a number of times in 2006 and did well. He'll draw a bunch of coverage responsibility on Todd Heap this week so he should still be a good LB3 play.

I was just about to post this. This pretty much erodes most of the value that Landon Johnson has right? :coffee: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
I don't think so. Johnson played SLB a number of times in 2006 and did well. He'll draw a bunch of coverage responsibility on Todd Heap this week so he should still be a good LB3 play.
This HAS to hurt Landon Johnson's value to some degree, going from Weakside to Strongside in a 4-3? The question is, how much does it help Caleb Miller's value?

Other Articles:

September 6, 2007, 23:01

Bengals :: LB

Bengals Shuffle Starting LB Corps

Mark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer -

Cincinnati Bengals weak-side LB, Landon Johnson is expected to shift to the strong-side LB position while starting strong-side LB Rashad Jeanty recovers from leg surgery, with LB Caleb Miller starting on the weak side in place of Johnson.
I was just about to post this. This pretty much erodes most of the value that Landon Johnson has right? :bs: :thumbup: :rant: :rant: :rant:
This HAS to hurt Landon Johnson's value to some degree, going from Weakside to Strongside in a 4-3? The question is, how much does it help Caleb Miller's value?
Apologies. Looks like I projected Johnson's solid on-field to play to the boxscore. Thought I had remembered him finishing more plays than the stats suggest, but there's a 2 ppg difference as seen below. It helps Miller's value a lot -- he'll go from only playing in the nickel to becoming the Bengals' second every down backer. I'm not sure it'll give him as much value as he had last year in the middle, but he'll be a good option -- should be around Johnson's 2006 stats depending on how well Brooks plays.Johnson as SLB in 2006

1 CIN KC 5 0 0 0 1 0 1 8

4 CIN NE 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 3

6 CIN TB 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 9.5

7 CIN CAR 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 4

8 CIN ATL 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 4.5

20 solos/12 assists >>> 5.8 avg ppg FBG scoring

Johnson when Jeanty played SLB

2 CIN CLE 2 2 0 0 0 1 2 9

3 CIN PIT 8 1 0 0 0 0 0 8.5

9 CIN BAL 7 2 0 0 0 0 0 8

10 CIN SD 7 2 0 1 0 0 0 10

11 CIN NO 8 4 0 0 0 0 1 11

12 CIN CLE 5 1 1 1 0 0 0 10.5

13 CIN BAL 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 4.5

14 CIN OAK 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.5

15 CIN IND 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 4.5

16 CIN DEN 8 1 0 0 0 0 0 8.5

17 CIN PIT 5 2 0 1 0 0 1 9

56 solos/22 assists >>> 7.9 avg ppg FBG scoring

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like a temporary move, with Landon moving back to weakside after Jeanty recovers. Anyone know of his projected recovery? If it's not too long, this would be a good time to get Landon for cheap.

This sounds like a temporary move, with Landon moving back to weakside after Jeanty recovers. Anyone know of his projected recovery? If it's not too long, this would be a good time to get Landon for cheap.
Jeanty originally said a "couple" weeks, but recent estimates have put his return at closer to a month.

Apologies. Looks like I projected Johnson's solid on-field to play to the boxscore. Thought I had remembered him finishing more plays than the stats suggest, but there's a 2 ppg difference as seen below. It helps Miller's value a lot -- he'll go from only playing in the nickel to becoming the Bengals' second every down backer. I'm not sure it'll give him as much value as he had last year in the middle, but he'll be a good option -- should be around Johnson's 2006 stats depending on how well Brooks plays.

Johnson as SLB in 2006

1 CIN KC 5 0 0 0 1 0 1 8

4 CIN NE 1 4 0 0 0 0 0 3

6 CIN TB 9 1 0 0 0 0 0 9.5

7 CIN CAR 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 4

8 CIN ATL 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 4.5

20 solos/12 assists >>> 5.8 avg ppg FBG scoring

Johnson when Jeanty played SLB

2 CIN CLE 2 2 0 0 0 1 2 9

3 CIN PIT 8 1 0 0 0 0 0 8.5

9 CIN BAL 7 2 0 0 0 0 0 8

10 CIN SD 7 2 0 1 0 0 0 10

11 CIN NO 8 4 0 0 0 0 1 11

12 CIN CLE 5 1 1 1 0 0 0 10.5

13 CIN BAL 2 5 0 0 0 0 0 4.5

14 CIN OAK 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 3.5

15 CIN IND 4 1 0 0 0 0 0 4.5

16 CIN DEN 8 1 0 0 0 0 0 8.5

17 CIN PIT 5 2 0 1 0 0 1 9

56 solos/22 assists >>> 7.9 avg ppg FBG scoring
Where does Caleb Miller stand in terms of value now? Pre-season projections

Caleb Miller

Code:
TKL AST SACK FF FR INT PD FPT John Norton 45 16 0 0 0 1 6 63.0 Sigmund Bloom 27 9 0 0 1 0 4 37.5
Landon Johnson
Code:
TKL AST SACK FF FR INT PD FPT John Norton 82 31 1 1 1 2 9 121.5 Sigmund Bloom 56 27 1 1 1 1 7 87.5
Do you see those number being reversed if both are three-down backers? Do you see them just being closer with Landon still having more value? (Does this change if he stays at SLB long term?)

Users who are viewing this thread