What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Bartlett Gives A Talk on Mankind's Greatest Problem (1 Viewer)

People scoff at Malthusians. The argue that technological breakthroughs will always compensate and overcome math. Those people have anecdotal evidence that looks like, in their estimation, sufficient data points to establish a pattern they interpret as a law.

Me, I believe the world human population must be reduced, drastically, to have a sustainable human population on this planet. I postulate, from time to time, that the planet itself, through relatively balanced ecosystems will provide the mechanism to establish that balance, perhaps through a pandemic. That is, of course, nonsense. The planet cares not in the least that humans are part of any balanced ecosystem. The planet will remain whether we kill ourselves off and all life sustaining ecosystems with ourselves. We are not a necessary part of any enduring balance, and life sustaining balance is not a necessary part of the planet continuing to exist, it is just a fortuitous current state.

Last edited by a moderator:
People scoff at Malthusians. The argue that technological breakthroughs will always compensate and overcome math. Those people have anecdotal evidence that looks like, in their estimation, sufficient data points to establish a pattern they interpret as a law.

Me, I believe the world human population must be reduced, drastically, to have a sustainable human population on this planet. I postulate, from time to time, that the planet itself, through relatively balanced ecosystems will provide the mechanism to establish that balance, perhaps through a pandemic. That is, of course, nonsense. The planet cares not in the least that humans are part of any balanced ecosystem. The planet will remain whether we kill ourselves off and all life sustaining ecosystems with ourselves. We are not a necessary part of any enduring balanace, and life sustaining balance is not a necessary part of the planet continuing to exist, it is just a fortuitous current state.
GAIA RULES!!!

And yet he had four children...
The intelligent should breed. Its the overwhelming number of idiots who should not.
I hear ya, but it's a pretty sweeping condemnation that may run counter to the idea of sustainability. :shrug:

Idiots, God bless 'em -- they eat, they crap, they insert tab A into slot B, they have babies, they do the best they can to scrape by, and they die. It's pretty much how the engines of evolution got us here starting however many billions of years ago. Idiocy has a track record. Not a lot of genius among the ranks of protzoa and deer mice.

It's only through the actions of those we so cavalierly call the intelligent that we run into problems that threaten the entire species. "Live, eat, play, breed, die," works. "Let's store the food so people have to work for it," "I have a thought, let's see if we can use physics to annihilate flesh and bone," "wow, this black stuff can fuel an internal combustion engine," and, "meh, just let the free market handle it," have all made life objectively more comfortable in a lot of ways for at least a good chunk of the people here. But that's not necessarily the same thing as promoting a worldview that can work to sustain human life and the ecosphere over the long run.

Could end up working out, but the intelligent types are still feeling pretty clueless on how to accomplish that goal. Whereas the idiots had it figured out billions of years ago. Intelligence, especially this free market, capitalistic, growth-is-good type we've so thoroughly embraced, is a constant battle against itself.

:shrug:

Life on planet earth is really just a fight to the death between Daniel Quinn and Ayn Rand.

Still, the progress types give me better toys to play with while I sit on the sidelines and wait to see which way the tower topples. I still haven't found a better solution than ambivalent curmudgeon, from a personal accountability standpoint.

Freelove said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:
The intelligent should breed. Its the overwhelming number of idiots who should not.
I hear ya, but it's a pretty sweeping condemnation that may run counter to the idea of sustainability. :shrug:

Idiots, God bless 'em -- they eat, they crap, they insert tab A into slot B, they have babies, they do the best they can to scrape by, and they die. It's pretty much how the engines of evolution got us here starting however many billions of years ago. Idiocy has a track record. Not a lot of genius among the ranks of protzoa and deer mice.

It's only through the actions of those we so cavalierly call the intelligent that we run into problems that threaten the entire species. "Live, eat, play, breed, die," works. "Let's store the food so people have to work for it," "I have a thought, let's see if we can use physics to annihilate flesh and bone," "wow, this black stuff can fuel an internal combustion engine," and, "meh, just let the free market handle it," have all made life objectively more comfortable in a lot of ways for at least a good chunk of the people here. But that's not necessarily the same thing as promoting a worldview that can work to sustain human life and the ecosphere over the long run.

Could end up working out, but the intelligent types are still feeling pretty clueless on how to accomplish that goal. Whereas the idiots had it figured out billions of years ago. Intelligence, especially this free market, capitalistic, growth-is-good type we've so thoroughly embraced, is a constant battle against itself.

Life on planet earth is really just a fight to the death between Daniel Quinn and Ayn Rand.
Or Julian Simon and Paul Ehrlich.

Link

Freelove said:
Ditkaless Wonders said:
I hear ya, but it's a pretty sweeping condemnation that may run counter to the idea of sustainability. :shrug: Idiots, God bless 'em -- they eat, they crap, they insert tab A into slot B, they have babies, they do the best they can to scrape by, and they die. It's pretty much how the engines of evolution got us here starting however many billions of years ago. Idiocy has a track record. Not a lot of genius among the ranks of protzoa and deer mice.

Hard to argue.

Still, the progress types give me better toys to play with while I sit on the sidelines and wait to see which way the tower topples. I still haven't found a better solution than ambivalent curmudgeon, from a personal accountability standpoint.
Exactly, that's where you inevitably end up when you ponder it to its logical conclusion -- the vast machine of unending growth is never, ever going to voluntarily stop. Those of us who see what's coming are essentially powerless. It's not a message that wins votes or sells iPhones, therefore it is irrelevant to this culture. The ambivalent curmudgeon label sums me up perfectly too. I wish my mind didn't always veer into these topics because it's pretty depressing. Another point for the idiots.

Meh. As developed countries become more efficient and energy cost conscious they'll become less wasteful of energy (IMO the American suburban lawn must die). Most European countries and Japan are already stagnant, population growth-wise. And as developing countries become more developed, they'll follow the same pattern.

Shouldn't this problem take care of itself? The planet will handle as many people as it can until it can't handle anymore and then the population will decrease due to famine and disease to an amount that's manageable.

We haven't had a World War in a while either. ........

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Wow
That deserves a "wow?" :shrug: Unless your "wow" was to imply Ditkaless Wonders winning the Captain Obvious award for the evening?
Wow because it sounds like some elitist ### who believed in some kind of master race, as if they and they alone know who should be able to live and who should not. It is the mindset of some of the most evil people who ever walked on earth. But other than that, great idea.

How much oil is there in this world? Any revision to the 2000 billion barrel estimate that's referenced in the video?

at 1.3% growth rate, there will be nearly 450,000,000,000 more people on the planet in 300 years.

I'd say the chances are extremely high we see the breakdown of civilization long before 300 years from now.

In just 100 years, there will be 21,000,000,000 more people on the planet than right now - that is a lot of ####### people.

at 1.3% growth rate, there will be nearly 450,000,000,000 more people on the planet in 300 years.

I'd say the chances are extremely high we see the breakdown of civilization long before 300 years from now.

In just 100 years, there will be 21,000,000,000 more people on the planet than right now - that is a lot of ####### people.
We have seen declining growth rates in every continent. Europe has actually started a population decline. We currently are under a 1.1% growth rate for the planet and it will continue to decline.

We have seen declining growth rates in every continent. Europe has actually started a population decline. We currently are under a 1.1% growth rate for the planet and it will continue to decline.
1.2% Growth rate

even if it dropped to 1% there will be 114,000,000,000 people on the planet in 280 years. Maybe spreading a little ebola around is not such a bad idea. Humans are going to suffocate the planet with any kind of population growth.

I get it - its not your problem, so lets kick the issue down the road a bit.

chet said:
How much oil is there in this world? Any revision to the 2000 billion barrel estimate that's referenced in the video?
It doesn't matter, we have alternatives once the price of oil goes up.

1.2% Growth rate

even if it dropped to 1% there will be 114,000,000,000 people on the planet in 280 years. Maybe spreading a little ebola around is not such a bad idea. Humans are going to suffocate the planet with any kind of population growth.

I'm not going to be here in 280 years so I'm on board with issue kicking option.

1.2% Growth rate

It is not my problem because your assumptions and statement of the problem are factually incorrect. The population growth is declining and will continue to decline, so all you are doing is fear-mongering non-sense. Exactly like the people you are mocking in the Ebola thread.

1.2% Growth rate

It is not my problem because your assumptions and statement of the problem are factually incorrect. The population growth is declining and will continue to decline, so all you are doing is fear-mongering non-sense. Exactly like the people you are mocking in the Ebola thread.
It's not jon_mx's fault. The clock in his house still reads 11:58-11:59, so there's PLENTY of land, water, oil and other resources for the next several hundred years, right?! ;)

1.2% Growth rate

It's not jon_mx's fault. The clock in his house still reads 11:58-11:59, so there's PLENTY of land, water, oil and other resources for the next several hundred years, right?! ;)
So someone throws out numbers which have no basis in reality, and you call me out. You are a moron.

So someone throws out numbers which have no basis in reality, and you call me out. You are a moron.
Let's run with that, jon_mx. Starting with numbers which have no basis in reality. Please, you have the floor. Enlighten the rest of us sheeple who simply haven't been given access to the truth...the same information that you have. Do some good for the planet by helping the rest of us lost souls see the light! :popcorn:

Let's run with that, jon_mx. Starting with numbers which have no basis in reality. Please, you have the floor. Enlighten the rest of us sheeple who simply haven't been given access to the truth...the same information that you have. Do some good for the planet by helping the rest of us lost souls see the light! :popcorn:
Sinn Fien keeps throwing out growth rates and pretends that these growth rates are going to remain constant for the next three hundred years. These growth rates are declining rapidly, see here. We are not going to have 1.3% growth rates for the next three hundred years. We don't even have those now. It is expected to be down to 0.5% by 2050. So his assumptions are absurd, which leads to his absurd results.

Sinn Fien keeps throwing out growth rates and pretends that these growth rates are going to remain constant for the next three hundred years. These growth rates are declining rapidly, see here. We are not going to have 1.3% growth rates for the next three hundred years. We don't even have those now. It is expected to be down to 0.5% by 2050. So his assumptions are absurd, which leads to his absurd results.
Why is expected to be down at 0.5%? Where did that number come from? Almost every policy decision we make is designed to lower the death rate - so unless the birth rate, for the globe, declines faster, we are not getting down to 0.5%

And then, even if we sit at 0.5% - the population will still double every 140 years - a very short time frame.

Using your rate of 0.5% we'll be around 10,000,000,000 in 2050, and then 40,000,000,000 in 280 years.

Until we see a zero growth rate, or lower, we are heading for a population that overruns the planet.

Something catastrophic will take place to limit population growth within the next 300 years.

Why is expected to be down at 0.5%? Where did that number come from? Almost every policy decision we make is designed to lower the death rate - so unless the birth rate, for the globe, declines faster, we are not getting down to 0.5%

And then, even if we sit at 0.5% - the population will still double every 140 years - a very short time frame.

Using your rate of 0.5% we'll be around 10,000,000,000 in 2050, and then 40,000,000,000 in 280 years.

Until we see a zero growth rate, or lower, we are heading for a population that overruns the planet.

Something catastrophic will take place to limit population growth within the next 300 years.
With due respect, will that catastrophe have to do with overpopulation? Or will it just be a function of biology? There's a causation problem with your argument, it seems.

Most of the folks I know who subscribe to the "crying wolf" theory on this sort of thing tend to be Christian, and believe that "the end times" are near. Will even cite scripture telling you as much. Basically, their attitude is "since Jesus is coming back soon regardless, let's just party like it's 1999, keep popping out lots of kids, and not worry about things that God would never allow to happen."

I have a relative like this. She and her husband have seven children. SEVEN! She is a stay-at-home mom and homeschools five of seven children. He works at a Christian university that let's just say doesn't pay him enough to support a family of nine. But hey! They can lower their taxable income by $35,100 via all those kiddies running around (along with their two deductions). They can get another $7,000 reduction via the Child Tax Credit. Shoot...by the time they've taken all their deductions, Uncle Sam is probably cutting THEM a check for $10,000-$20,000/year. Never you mind that in the same breath, they'll rail on all those welfare leeches and baby-mamas who are bleeding our country dry via social services. How someone getting thousands in food stamps is "different" or "worse" than getting a ~$40,000 credit off one's taxable income merely as a result of the color of one's skin or the fact that there is only one father for said seven kids I have no idea! But that's a rant for another thread.

This couple consumes FAR more resources than it contributes back to society. But that's okay in the eyes of themselves and all their friends and family, because God wants Christians to reproduce like rabbits...so there are billions of Christians ruling the world. Lay siege to the planet and subdue it...and before "it" ever comes close to hitting the fan?! Dial-up a rapture and get the heck out of Dodge. :wall: The same folks who tell you that over-population is much ado about nothing...or that climate change is a farce. Or that you should all be digging bunkers and stocking them with years of food and weaponry...even though I thought Jesus would rapture everyone "good" out of there before things FUBAR. :shrug: ;)

Americans consume the resources of your typical 30 Africans in a number of African nations. But if you dare suggest that we be a bit better stewards, not consume with such reckless abandon, not breed with such reckless abandon?! Well then you've just had the wool pulled over your eyes by science, aka the devil. [sigh]

A long-winded, rambling rant. But I am so sick of the inmates running the asylum in so many corners of our globe.

:lmao:

Most of the folks I know who subscribe to the "crying wolf" theory on this sort of thing tend to be Christian, and believe that "the end times" are near. Will even cite scripture telling you as much. Basically, their attitude is "since Jesus is coming back soon regardless, let's just party like it's 1999, keep popping out lots of kids, and not worry about things that God would never allow to happen."

I have a relative like this. She and her husband have seven children. SEVEN! She is a stay-at-home mom and homeschools five of seven children. He works at a Christian university that let's just say doesn't pay him enough to support a family of nine. But hey! They can lower their taxable income by $35,100 via all those kiddies running around (along with their two deductions). They can get another $7,000 reduction via the Child Tax Credit. Shoot...by the time they've taken all their deductions, Uncle Sam is probably cutting THEM a check for $10,000-$20,000/year. Never you mind that in the same breath, they'll rail on all those welfare leeches and baby-mamas who are bleeding our country dry via social services. How someone getting thousands in food stamps is "different" or "worse" than getting a ~$40,000 credit off one's taxable income merely as a result of the color of one's skin or the fact that there is only one father for said seven kids I have no idea! But that's a rant for another thread.

This couple consumes FAR more resources than it contributes back to society. But that's okay in the eyes of themselves and all their friends and family, because God wants Christians to reproduce like rabbits...so there are billions of Christians ruling the world. Lay siege to the planet and subdue it...and before "it" ever comes close to hitting the fan?! Dial-up a rapture and get the heck out of Dodge. :wall: The same folks who tell you that over-population is much ado about nothing...or that climate change is a farce. Or that you should all be digging bunkers and stocking them with years of food and weaponry...even though I thought Jesus would rapture everyone "good" out of there before things FUBAR. :shrug: ;)

Americans consume the resources of your typical 30 Africans in a number of African nations. But if you dare suggest that we be a bit better stewards, not consume with such reckless abandon, not breed with such reckless abandon?! Well then you've just had the wool pulled over your eyes by science, aka the devil. [sigh]

A long-winded, rambling rant. But I am so sick of the inmates running the asylum in so many corners of our globe.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Methinks jon_mx didn't watch the video. At all.
My comments were not directed at the video. My comments were towards some very bad use of numbers. Constant growth rates have been used for centuries to scare people. They can be a good model to use, but they are usually only accurate for a certain time period. Our population growth rate has reached that point where that model no longer applies as the growth rate is in a rapid decline and is expected to continue that decline. At least according to the experts who study that. But continue on with the fear-mongering. I am just pointing out absurdly bad abuse of numbers.

My comments were not directed at the video. My comments were towards some very bad use of numbers. Constant growth rates have been used for centuries to scare people. They can be a good model to use, but they are usually only accurate for a certain time period. Our population growth rate has reached that point where that model no longer applies as the growth rate is in a rapid decline and is expected to continue that decline. At least according to the experts who study that. But continue on with the fear-mongering. I am just pointing out absurdly bad abuse of numbers.
:lmao: :lmao:

Use what ever rate you want - Lets take your 0.5% rate right now - at that rate, in 2050 there will be nearly 11,000,000,000 people on the planet, and in 2330 the number, using your 0.5% growth rate, will 43,693,172,417 - or 6 more people for every person on the planet today.

I'd say its highly unlikely that is a sustainable number - unless of course we have become more machine than human, and we have found renewable resources to sustain such an existence.

Now consider that while the birth rate is likely to drop in many countries, the death rate is also likely to drop - better healthcare and technology will ensure longer lives. What is more likely to happen, even in the next 50 years - birth rate will drop faster than the death rate, or the death rate will drop faster than the birth rate? Now consider developing countries where they are likely to see huge advances in healthcare - but will their birth rate drop significantly?

Any growth rate is too much - given enough time. 300 years, in the overall scheme of things is not very long.

Use what ever rate you want - Lets take your 0.5% rate right now - at that rate, in 2050 there will be nearly 11,000,000,000 people on the planet, and in 2330 the number, using your 0.5% growth rate, will 43,693,172,417 - or 6 more people for every person on the planet today.

I'd say its highly unlikely that is a sustainable number - unless of course we have become more machine than human, and we have found renewable resources to sustain such an existence.

Now consider that while the birth rate is likely to drop in many countries, the death rate is also likely to drop - better healthcare and technology will ensure longer lives. What is more likely to happen, even in the next 50 years - birth rate will drop faster than the death rate, or the death rate will drop faster than the birth rate? Now consider developing countries where they are likely to see huge advances in healthcare - but will their birth rate drop significantly?

Any growth rate is too much - given enough time. 300 years, in the overall scheme of things is not very long.
The growth rate is declining and will go negative far before then. You are peddling snake oil :rolleyes:

The growth rate is declining and will go negative far before then. You are peddling snake oil :rolleyes:
Based on what?

I agree that it will go negative, but not voluntarily...

Predictions for Peak Population.

Deuatch Bank research suggests the global population will peak at 8.7 Billion in 2055.

The UN believes that global population will peak at 10.9 Billion in 2100.

Nobody with any expertise believes that there will be 43 billion people on this planet

In this 2014 study (pdf), which comes up with higher numbers than the most recent UN report, "there is an 80% probability that world population, now 7.2 billion, will

increase to between 9.6 and 12.3 billion in 2100."

Maybe not good, but certainly not 21 billion.

Deuatch Bank research suggests the global population will peak at 8.7 Billion in 2055.

Nobody with any expertise believes that there will be 43 billion people on this planet
I notice you cite two sources that contradict each other, and neither addresses the falling mortality rate - which will fall more rapidly in developing countries as they get access to better healthcare. So their mind set will still be on "needing" a greater fertility rate, while their infant mortality rate is dropping.

And there is no reason given for why humanity will suddenly reverse course on its own, and stop multiplying. That will require a triggering event. The US - for as advanced as it is as a low birth rate of 12.6/1000, but an already lower death rate of 8.1/1000. Unless the birth rate drops significantly faster than the mortality rate, and no current indications that it will, population growth will be an issue.

Also of note, in the same article you thought supported your position, there was a link to another article where the Chinese are considering abandoning their own artificial population controls to help combat an agin population.

So, there is nothing to suggest that humans will voluntarily stop multiplying. On the contrary, it will take some form of an intervention - gov't, societal, or catastrophic event to avoid the impending crisis - impending being used in a big-picture kind of way - 300 years in not impending unless you consider the relatively short time frame within historical contexts.

I notice you cite two sources that contradict each other, and neither addresses the falling mortality rate - which will fall more rapidly in developing countries as they get access to better healthcare. So their mind set will still be on "needing" a greater fertility rate, while their infant mortality rate is dropping.

And there is no reason given for why humanity will suddenly reverse course on its own, and stop multiplying. That will require a triggering event. The US - for as advanced as it is as a low birth rate of 12.6/1000, but an already lower death rate of 8.1/1000. Unless the birth rate drops significantly faster than the mortality rate, and no current indications that it will, population growth will be an issue.

Also of note, in the same article you thought supported your position, there was a link to another article where the Chinese are considering abandoning their own artificial population controls to help combat an agin population.

So, there is nothing to suggest that humans will voluntarily stop multiplying. On the contrary, it will take some form of an intervention - gov't, societal, or catastrophic event to avoid the impending crisis - impending being used in a big-picture kind of way - 300 years in not impending unless you consider the relatively short time frame within historical contexts.
I am sure you understand population growth more than people who actually study it at the UN and Deutsche Bank.

ETA: I am sorry the facts and best analysis fail to line up with your world view.

In this 2014 study (pdf), which comes up with higher numbers than the most recent UN report, "there is an 80% probability that world population, now 7.2 billion, will

I think what these studies focus on is the declining fertility and birth rates in developing countries - but I don't think they give enough weight to the corresponding decline in mortality rates.

As "western" countries continue to see declines in their own mortality rates due to advanced technology and medical care, so to will developing countries see an even faster decline in mortality rates - that is the primary basis for assuming fertility/birth rates will decline.

The policy choices we make - anti-abortion, advances in medicine/technology, better/more available healthcare, healthier food choices, healthier life-styles, etc. suggest strongly that we are unlikely to see birth rates below mortality rates, absent a change in philosophy.

Absent some change in our philosophy, which seems unlikely, we will continue to grow - to the point where it will be unsustainable. At some point in the future, this will be a spirited debate - my guess is that humans will not impose restrictions on themselves voluntarily, and there will likely be some breakdowns in civilization requiring drastic population control policies.

If you are on public assistance for X- amount of time you should be mandated to be sterilized...
An approach more likely to get passed is just pay people to get fixed. Enough will bite at the instant cash to weed out some of the biggest losers from the gene pool.

If you are on public assistance for X- amount of time you should be mandated to be sterilized...
An approach more likely to get passed is just pay people to get fixed. Enough will bite at the instant cash to weed out some of the biggest losers from the gene pool.
This will never get passed either.

I think what these studies focus on is the declining fertility and birth rates in developing countries - but I don't think they give enough weight to the corresponding decline in mortality rates.

As "western" countries continue to see declines in their own mortality rates due to advanced technology and medical care, so to will developing countries see an even faster decline in mortality rates - that is the primary basis for assuming fertility/birth rates will decline.

The policy choices we make - anti-abortion, advances in medicine/technology, better/more available healthcare, healthier food choices, healthier life-styles, etc. suggest strongly that we are unlikely to see birth rates below mortality rates, absent a change in philosophy.

Absent some change in our philosophy, which seems unlikely, we will continue to grow - to the point where it will be unsustainable. At some point in the future, this will be a spirited debate - my guess is that humans will not impose restrictions on themselves voluntarily, and there will likely be some breakdowns in civilization requiring drastic population control policies.
I think you might be underestimating the amount of data that goes into these studies.

There's this link in that study that points to some of the "summary tables, plots, assumptions and methodology." This includes Probabilistic Projections of Life Expectancy at Birth for a whole bunch of countries.

Users who are viewing this thread