What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***ALCS Texas Rangers v New York Yankees*** (1 Viewer)

Pick a winner please

• Rangers in 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rangers in 5

• Rangers in 6

• Rangers in 7

• Yankees in 4

• Yankees in 5

• Yankees in 6

• Yankees in 7

• Total voters
I gotta say...I don't watch really ANY baseball, but is Yankee Stadium always this empty? I know it's 6-0 now, but I've been watching sparingly from the 7th on, and can't help but notice all the empty seats.I know the tickets are supposedly super-expensive....but it's the ALCS!
Don't know if you're being serious or just making fun of the fans, but people left when Texas put eleventeen runs on the board in the 9th. Stadium was jammed from the outset. Probably the loudest I've heard it during pregame stuff, lots of anticipation, even the Hamilton HR didn't completely deflate the place. But after the 1-2-3- bottom of the 1st, everyone just kinda sat on their hands for awhile. Couple of moments here and there -- A-Rod up with one on, and Tex up with Gardner on third come to mind...but yeah otherwise, there wasn't much to cheer for.Still doesn't excuse leaving a 2-0 game, which a handful of people did after the bottom of the 8th. Traffic getting out of the Bronx on a Monday night really isn't all that bad.ETA: My tickets are in the 6th row of the grandstand, pretty much right behind home plate. They were $54 each FV. The majority of the tickets in the stadium are that much or less.
I wasn't making fun of anyone....it was a serious question.I turned it on in the 7th and noticed a lot of empty seats throughout the 7th and 8th, when it was a 2-0 game.

Good win tonight to try and get some confidence and momentum back. I actually like Hughes in Game 6 and think this thing is going to go the distance. Hard to think Cliff Lee is going to turn in a stinker though. One game at a time, gotta get to Lewis early this second time around and quiet the fans. Arlington is going to be a madhouse.

I gotta say...I don't watch really ANY baseball, but is Yankee Stadium always this empty? I know it's 6-0 now, but I've been watching sparingly from the 7th on, and can't help but notice all the empty seats.I know the tickets are supposedly super-expensive....but it's the ALCS!
Don't know if you're being serious or just making fun of the fans, but people left when Texas put eleventeen runs on the board in the 9th. Stadium was jammed from the outset. Probably the loudest I've heard it during pregame stuff, lots of anticipation, even the Hamilton HR didn't completely deflate the place. But after the 1-2-3- bottom of the 1st, everyone just kinda sat on their hands for awhile. Couple of moments here and there -- A-Rod up with one on, and Tex up with Gardner on third come to mind...but yeah otherwise, there wasn't much to cheer for.Still doesn't excuse leaving a 2-0 game, which a handful of people did after the bottom of the 8th. Traffic getting out of the Bronx on a Monday night really isn't all that bad.ETA: My tickets are in the 6th row of the grandstand, pretty much right behind home plate. They were $54 each FV. The majority of the tickets in the stadium are that much or less.
I wasn't making fun of anyone....it was a serious question.I turned it on in the 7th and noticed a lot of empty seats throughout the 7th and 8th, when it was a 2-0 game.
Yankee fans normally not like that. Must be the bandwagon fans and its embarrassing

Good win tonight to try and get some confidence and momentum back. I actually like Hughes in Game 6 and think this thing is going to go the distance. Hard to think Cliff Lee is going to turn in a stinker though. One game at a time, gotta get to Lewis early this second time around and quiet the fans. Arlington is going to be a madhouse.
I dont like their chances in game 6. Not gonna even worry about game 7 unless we get there.Yes wilked I said we get over it

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like their chances in game 6. Not gonna even worry about game 7 unless we get there.Yes wilked I said we get over it
Yanks are better against RHP's, especially 2nd time through. I think the long layoff may have hurt Hughes rather than helped him. That's what I got to hang my hat on for G6. Go Yanks, get to Game 7.

I got back late last night and as you might imagine, wasn't really interested in seeing highlights. I still haven't seen a replay of the Cano HR. From the reaction in here, it sounds like the fans reached over the wall Jeff Maier-style to interfere. But from friends texting me at the game, they said that the ball was over the wall already and Cruz was reaching over the wall to get it. So maybe I need to brush up on my rules a bit, but on a ball over the fence, isn't it every man for himself? Fans have every much of a right to the ball as a fielder, but is there something specifically in the rules about pushing a guy's glove away?

If the ball wasn't hit over the wall and fans reached into the field of play, disregard that last comment.
Cruz went up and his glove was hit as fans were reaching for the ball. To me, that's interference, because you don't know if he would have caught it or not. Doesn't matter in the long run though, as the Yankees can't seem to keep the Rangers under 7 runs anyway.
Right, but if his glove is in fan territory then it isn't interference. It wasn't a situation where he was camped out near the wall and just had to reach up to catch it. From what I saw, he was running towards the wall, jumped, and had his glove hit by people reaching for a ball that was already in fan territory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for it to be interference there has to be a situation where the guy can easily make the play...not "might have" made the play.Also didn't hear nearly as many complaints about the ball that hit Swisher with the bases loaded. 7-4, 1 out is a far cry from 7-3, 2 outs.

Either way, it's all moot. And I'm about to leave for either a cool game or a season funeral. LET'S GO YANKEES!
It wasn't.I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I'm pretty sure there's no "easily make the play" requirement. If your fans reach onto the field of play and interfere with a fielder attempting to make a play on the ball, that's fan interference.

It was a tough call to make on the field since there's no good angle and it's not a "reviewable" call- so you can't fault the ump at all. But there were multiple angles showing the fan (multiple fans, actually) extending across the invisible plane extended upwards from the outfield wall and therefore onto the field of play.

Here's a sample.
Actually it is a reviewable call, they just choose not to. Not nearly as clear as Jeffrey Maier, but given that Fatty McDoushface literally girl-slapped Cruz's glove to try and keep him from catching it, it should have been called FI. Luckily, it didn't impact the outcome of the game.
I know I've thrown in the towel on this series, BUT, this is not correct, the ball lands unabated and untouched over the OF wall and bounces on the ledge. How 4 dbags missed catching it is another story but if the ball lands untouched over the wall, its by definition in fan territory and they can do whatever they want to him.

that GIF of the 3 douches was just outstanding. I was laughing my ### off when i saw it live and just knew it would make its way onto the internet soon.

I was putting the Rangers at 92% to win the series after last night.

After tonight, I'm thinking they're like 75-80%.

Txns8 said:
Cliff Lee is going to be a very very rich man next year. Boston will be going after him with both wallets blazing.
Can Boston afford to pay Beckett, Lackey, Dice-K, AND Lee though? What kind of money is coming off the books next year?
Ok just checked and it looks like $40+ million assuming they pick up Papi's option, which is a significant amount. But that includes Beltre and V-Mart's money and they can't let BOTH of those guys go. If they keep one (VMart I assume) and let Papelbon walk, they can probably fit Lee into the budget. But the Boston payroll was also beefed up quite a bit this year compared to recent seasons -- any local word on what figure they expect to be at for 2011?Of course, the Yankees are probably going to throw $120 million for 5 years at him.
I've heard talk that Lee likes Texas and they of course are interested in keeping him. New ownership may pony up to keep him around not only to win but help their young staff grow. Could be a good $100mil investment assuming he stays healthy.
They said that about CC and Milwaukee too. I would be SHOCKED out of my mind if Lee is anywhere but the Bronx next year.

I got back late last night and as you might imagine, wasn't really interested in seeing highlights. I still haven't seen a replay of the Cano HR. From the reaction in here, it sounds like the fans reached over the wall Jeff Maier-style to interfere. But from friends texting me at the game, they said that the ball was over the wall already and Cruz was reaching over the wall to get it. So maybe I need to brush up on my rules a bit, but on a ball over the fence, isn't it every man for himself? Fans have every much of a right to the ball as a fielder, but is there something specifically in the rules about pushing a guy's glove away?

If the ball wasn't hit over the wall and fans reached into the field of play, disregard that last comment.
Cruz went up and his glove was hit as fans were reaching for the ball. To me, that's interference, because you don't know if he would have caught it or not. Doesn't matter in the long run though, as the Yankees can't seem to keep the Rangers under 7 runs anyway.
Right, but if his glove is in fan territory then it isn't interference. It wasn't a situation where he was camped out near the wall and just had to reach up to catch it. From what I saw, he was running towards the wall, jumped, and had his glove hit by people reaching for a ball that was already in fan territory. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think for it to be interference there has to be a situation where the guy can easily make the play...not "might have" made the play.Also didn't hear nearly as many complaints about the ball that hit Swisher with the bases loaded. 7-4, 1 out is a far cry from 7-3, 2 outs.

Either way, it's all moot. And I'm about to leave for either a cool game or a season funeral. LET'S GO YANKEES!
It wasn't.I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I'm pretty sure there's no "easily make the play" requirement. If your fans reach onto the field of play and interfere with a fielder attempting to make a play on the ball, that's fan interference.

It was a tough call to make on the field since there's no good angle and it's not a "reviewable" call- so you can't fault the ump at all. But there were multiple angles showing the fan (multiple fans, actually) extending across the invisible plane extended upwards from the outfield wall and therefore onto the field of play.

Here's a sample.
Thanks. Still somewhat tough to see from that shot where the ball was. Like, if the ball is over the wall and Cruz and the fans make contact, and the ump rules that he wouldn't have made the play anyway, then it's still moot. It would be ruled a HR. Like, if a guy is camped under a ball in foul territory, reaches slightly over the wall to make the play, and a fan grabs it over him, it can be called an out (even if the ball is in fan territory) because the ruling would be that the fielder would have easily made the play. At least that's how I understand it.Oh and I know it's in another thread and another forum, but very good points in the FFA on the payroll discussion. Do you know how difficult it already is to disagree with someone whose username is the greatest TV character of all-time? Then you have to go and make sound arguments too?!? Jerk.

Oh ok I thought maybe it was a dig at fairweather fans. Anyway it didn't look empty at 2-0 to me. Maybe people in the bathrooms? But they swarmed for the parking lots during the Top 9.

Txns8 said:
Cliff Lee is going to be a very very rich man next year. Boston will be going after him with both wallets blazing.
Can Boston afford to pay Beckett, Lackey, Dice-K, AND Lee though? What kind of money is coming off the books next year?
Ok just checked and it looks like $40+ million assuming they pick up Papi's option, which is a significant amount. But that includes Beltre and V-Mart's money and they can't let BOTH of those guys go. If they keep one (VMart I assume) and let Papelbon walk, they can probably fit Lee into the budget. But the Boston payroll was also beefed up quite a bit this year compared to recent seasons -- any local word on what figure they expect to be at for 2011?Of course, the Yankees are probably going to throw $120 million for 5 years at him.
I've heard talk that Lee likes Texas and they of course are interested in keeping him. New ownership may pony up to keep him around not only to win but help their young staff grow. Could be a good $100mil investment assuming he stays healthy.
They said that about CC and Milwaukee too. I would be SHOCKED out of my mind if Lee is anywhere but the Bronx next year.
:confused: Really? Lee is from Arkansas so he would be fairly close to home staying in Texas, and Texas will have money to give him. Why would you want to pitch in NY and be just another Yankee when you can try and beat them every year in the playoffs? Plus other teams will be throwing money at him, the Yankees may have the advantage but being shocked out of your mind if he doiesn't end up in New York makes you sound like one of those Yankee fans everyone hates.

And Texas is not Milwaukee, really bad comparison. Texas plays in a top 6 media market, Milwaukee is barely on the map.

I would say the Yanks are the favorites to sign Lee at this point due to the money advantage and him supposedly being close with CC

That said, it is FAR from a sure thing

I would say the Yanks are the favorites to sign Lee at this point due to the money advantage and him supposedly being close with CCThat said, it is FAR from a sure thing
Does it take ANY pride at all away from Yankee fans that their team wins consistently primarily because they can afford to sign away other teams' best players year after year? Not a dig, serious question. Being a life-long Rangers fan and a Yankee hater for that very reason, I can't relate. Ok, maybe a little bit of a dig but the Rangers did the MLB and every non-Yankee baseball fan in America a favor by c-blocking the Cliff Lee trade or there wouldn't even be a need for playoffs this year.

Smack Tripper said:
I know I've thrown in the towel on this series, BUT, this is not correct, the ball lands unabated and untouched over the OF wall and bounces on the ledge. How 4 dbags missed catching it is another story but if the ball lands untouched over the wall, its by definition in fan territory and they can do whatever they want to him.
Based on your understanding of the rule ... let's say a guy hits a foul ball along the third base line and the third basemen goes over near the stands to make a play. I reach out from my third base line first row seats over the low barrier and punch him in the junk as he runs towards the wall. He goes down, and the ball falls one inch into the stands on would otherwise have been an easy catch. You're saying it's a foul ball because any ball that lands in the stands is "by definition in fan territory" and I can do whatever I want to the third baseman regardless of where he was when I made contact with him. Is that correct?

Michael Brown said:
I don't know the exact wording of the rule, but I'm pretty sure there's no "easily make the play" requirement. If your fans reach onto the field of play and interfere with a fielder attempting to make a play on the ball, that's fan interference.

Here's a sample.
Thanks. Still somewhat tough to see from that shot where the ball was. Like, if the ball is over the wall and Cruz and the fans make contact, and the ump rules that he wouldn't have made the play anyway, then it's still moot. It would be ruled a HR. Like, if a guy is camped under a ball in foul territory, reaches slightly over the wall to make the play, and a fan grabs it over him, it can be called an out (even if the ball is in fan territory) because the ruling would be that the fielder would have easily made the play. At least that's how I understand it.
Can't you infer from that second picture that the ball was not over the fence at that moment? Anything else would require some terrible reaction time from everyone involved.That picture also makes it clear that Horatio Sanz had no intention of catching the ball. It's excusable (though not allowable) if a fan and player are both just trying to catch the ball. But look at how his hand is turned. He's obviously in "swat" mode. :coffee: The other two Turtles are at least going for the ball.

Smack Tripper said:
Based on your understanding of the rule ... let's say a guy hits a foul ball along the third base line and the third basemen goes over near the stands to make a play. I reach out from my third base line first row seats over the low barrier and punch him in the junk as he runs towards the wall. He goes down, and the ball falls one inch into the stands on would otherwise have been an easy catch. You're saying it's a foul ball because any ball that lands in the stands is "by definition in fan territory" and I can do whatever I want to the third baseman regardless of where he was when I made contact with him. Is that correct?
No, because the player is in the field of play. Cruz's glove is above the wall on the otherside of the fans, so yeah, they can swat his glove, they have to give nor make any accomodation for him to make a play. If a fan reaches below the outfield wall, he is in play, outside of fan territory and this constitutes interference. Jeffery Maier, god love him, was clear cut interference. This was not. Now, if your third baseman was leaning over the wall and got his elevated nuts a shot, that is also permissable.

Smack Tripper said:
No, because the player is in the field of play. Cruz's glove is above the wall on the otherside of the fans, so yeah, they can swat his glove, they have to give nor make any accomodation for him to make a play. If a fan reaches below the outfield wall, he is in play, outside of fan territory and this constitutes interference. Jeffery Maier, god love him, was clear cut interference. This was not.

Now, if your third baseman was leaning over the wall and got his elevated nuts a shot, that is also permissable.
You're saying Cruz's glove was on the fans side of the wall? Are we looking at the same picture? :goodposting:

Smack Tripper said:
No, because the player is in the field of play. Cruz's glove is above the wall on the otherside of the fans, so yeah, they can swat his glove, they have to give nor make any accomodation for him to make a play. If a fan reaches below the outfield wall, he is in play, outside of fan territory and this constitutes interference. Jeffery Maier, god love him, was clear cut interference. This was not.

Now, if your third baseman was leaning over the wall and got his elevated nuts a shot, that is also permissable.
Cruz's glove is not "on the other side of the fans". Above the wall, yes. In the stands? No. Look at photo #2 in this link. The fans are reaching far out of their seats and into the field of play, well on the other side of the plane extending above the yellow line. Now, if we want to argue in what plane exactly the "field of play" begins and ends, then that's a reasonable discussion and I don't know the answer. But Cruz's glove was not "in the stands".

Smack Tripper said:

Cruz's glove is not "on the other side of the fans". Above the wall, yes. In the stands? No. Look at photo #2 in this link. The fans are reaching far out of their seats and into the field of play, well on the other side of the plane extending above the yellow line. Now, if we want to argue in what plane exactly the "field of play" begins and ends, then that's a reasonable discussion and I don't know the answer. But Cruz's glove was not "in the stands".
Inconclusive.

It almost certainly should have been fan interference, though I am not certain that Cruz would have come up with the catch

That said, I find it amazing that people are still debating a second inning solo homer in a game the Yanks lost by 7 runs two days later

Lifted from another site:

Hughes is a 24 year old who sported a 4.19 ERA this regular season. He has already pitched 65 innings above what the Yankees intended to limit him at this season to comply with Verducci Effect, where pitchers under 25 tend to underperform or get injured if they pitch greater than 30 innings more than they did the previous season.Since the ASB Hughes has a 5.00 ERA. Since he hit his innings limit (122.2) he has had a 4.87 ERA, compared to a 3.96 ERA prior to it. He has struck out one less batter per 9 and walked one more batter per 9 since his 122.2 IP limit.

It almost certainly should have been fan interference, though I am not certain that Cruz would have come up with the catchThat said, I find it amazing that people are still debating a second inning solo homer in a game the Yanks lost by 7 runs two days later
You're surprised we're still talking about it two days later? I hate to break it to you, but you're gonna be seeing images of that Situation wannabe with the sideways cap giving Cruz the bird for the rest of your life. That guy is magnificent.But looking forward- fascinating Game 6 tomorrow. What's the Rangers' mindset, considering they'll be the heavy favorites in a potential Game 7, especially if Cruz can at least swing the bat and run the bases? Say for example the game is tied after 8- do they bring in Feliz knowing that they probably can get at least 8 from Lee tomorrow? Or do they save as many bullets as possible for a potential Game 7? It's the kind of scenario that never comes up in the regular season.

BTW, hate to say this, but I think the game and the Yankees organization deserve the skepticism...

Talk of performance enhancing drugs may have simmered down, but no man's muscles should be so developed versus his supporting ligaments and tendons to tear a quad just running straight down the first base path. Tends to happen when you've used PEDs though, because you develop the major muscle groups unnaturally versus other physiological structures. (Nomar tearing his groin the same way was a pretty clear indictment of him at the time.) Just saying... Looking at a guy like AROD, he claimed he wasn't taking anything before he was caught and he claims it now, but if anything, physically he's even bigger today. It doesn't take a genius to know that when Giambi recovered from nearly going down to the minors in 2008 to being the hottest hitter in baseball, something miraculous happened to him physically. I think there's still something going around that Yankee clubhouse. No PEDs, but PED-style injuries? Doesn't make sense.

BTW, hate to say this, but I think the game and the Yankees organization deserve the skepticism...Talk of performance enhancing drugs may have simmered down, but no man's muscles should be so developed versus his supporting ligaments and tendons to tear a quad just running straight down the first base path. Tends to happen when you've used PEDs though, because you develop the major muscle groups unnaturally versus other physiological structures. (Nomar tearing his groin the same way was a pretty clear indictment of him at the time.) Just saying... Looking at a guy like AROD, he claimed he wasn't taking anything before he was caught and he claims it now, but if anything, physically he's even bigger today. It doesn't take a genius to know that when Giambi recovered from nearly going down to the minors in 2008 to being the hottest hitter in baseball, something miraculous happened to him physically. I think there's still something going around that Yankee clubhouse. No PEDs, but PED-style injuries? Doesn't make sense.
I've lost track of what the MLB testing program even became. That drug that Contador got busted for sounds like something a MLB player might actually consider also. I assume they are testing for it though.

Doctor Detroit said:
:bs:Really? Lee is from Arkansas so he would be fairly close to home staying in Texas, and Texas will have money to give him. Why would you want to pitch in NY and be just another Yankee when you can try and beat them every year in the playoffs? Plus other teams will be throwing money at him, the Yankees may have the advantage but being shocked out of your mind if he doiesn't end up in New York makes you sound like one of those Yankee fans everyone hates.And Texas is not Milwaukee, really bad comparison. Texas plays in a top 6 media market, Milwaukee is barely on the map.
Sabathia is from nearby Oakland and the Giants had money to spend. And Milwaukee had money to spend and made a big offer, and there was talk that he was really happy there.Look, I'm not trying to sound like "one of those" Yankee fans. I'm not even saying I want him, as good as he is. I'm just being realistic. And realistically, listening to everyone on this and other boards complain year after year after year about the Yankees signing the premier free agents on the market, you honestly think that they are going to lose out on what will certainly be their number one target? It's not wishful thinking, I just don't see any way they let him go anywhere else. They'll pay whatever it takes, and then some...like they did with CC.I hear you on the argument of why would he want to just be another guy on the Yankees, but that could apply to any of the free agents that they get. The reason is that the Yankees can pay them more. I would be shocked out of my mind, because the Yankees already made it clear that they're interested in him when they nearly acquired him during the summer. Now that he's likely going to be largely responsible for ending their season, and he's a lefty, and he's battle-tested in big games, and they've got money coming off from Javy and Pettitte (maybe) among others, yes I would be shocked if they don't throw a ridiculous amount at him to make sure he's on them in 2011.

Michael Brown said:
Doctor Detroit said:
:excited:Really? Lee is from Arkansas so he would be fairly close to home staying in Texas, and Texas will have money to give him. Why would you want to pitch in NY and be just another Yankee when you can try and beat them every year in the playoffs? Plus other teams will be throwing money at him, the Yankees may have the advantage but being shocked out of your mind if he doiesn't end up in New York makes you sound like one of those Yankee fans everyone hates.And Texas is not Milwaukee, really bad comparison. Texas plays in a top 6 media market, Milwaukee is barely on the map.
Sabathia is from nearby Oakland and the Giants had money to spend. And Milwaukee had money to spend and made a big offer, and there was talk that he was really happy there.Look, I'm not trying to sound like "one of those" Yankee fans. I'm not even saying I want him, as good as he is. I'm just being realistic. And realistically, listening to everyone on this and other boards complain year after year after year about the Yankees signing the premier free agents on the market, you honestly think that they are going to lose out on what will certainly be their number one target? It's not wishful thinking, I just don't see any way they let him go anywhere else. They'll pay whatever it takes, and then some...like they did with CC.I hear you on the argument of why would he want to just be another guy on the Yankees, but that could apply to any of the free agents that they get. The reason is that the Yankees can pay them more. I would be shocked out of my mind, because the Yankees already made it clear that they're interested in him when they nearly acquired him during the summer. Now that he's likely going to be largely responsible for ending their season, and he's a lefty, and he's battle-tested in big games, and they've got money coming off from Javy and Pettitte (maybe) among others, yes I would be shocked if they don't throw a ridiculous amount at him to make sure he's on them in 2011.
I hear ya, was just giving you ####. This is a legitimate argument, I think what happens in this series goes a long way into Lee landing in New York.

Doctor Detroit said:
Why would you want to pitch in NY and be just another Yankee when you can try and beat them every year in the playoffs?
Maybe hes friends with LeBron from his Cleveland days

Yankees squaring balls up right at guys, Rangers JUST missing on a good number of pitches where Phil missed his spots. Flood gates may open up here shortly for both teams. Grab some whiskey and settle in.

Laughing at how that came back to bite the sneaky ### Yankees - if he'd have been honest and taken his base, that double would probably have put them up 2-1. :unsure:

Laughing at how that came back to bite the sneaky ### Yankees - if he'd have been honest and taken his base, that double would probably have put them up 2-1. :unsure:
One has nothing to do with the other. The pitch sequence might have been different.

Oh well. It was a good season. I didn't expect much more than this anyway given the horrid rotation and lifeless bats. :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread