What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith: Fantasy playoffs savior? (1 Viewer)

Pietaster2

Footballguy
Without giving away the specifics of premium info from the FBG site, Dodds and Tremblay both really love Alex Smith this week, to the point of both listing him as a mid QB1 in week 14. The Top 200 Forward lists him as a top 10 QB to end the season. This is much more love than other fantasy sites are giving to the king of dink and dunk. Does FBG know something everyone else doesn't?

Smith had three solid games in a row during the only losses the Chiefs have suffered all season because it was the first time all year the Chiefs have been behind, and Andy Reid had to open up the offense. Before that down stretch, you couldn't expect much from Smith because the Chiefs won with running game, defense, and short, high percentage passes. By all accounts, Washington is awful, and the Chiefs should return to their clock consuming, ball control ways the moment they get a lead. I expect a big game for Charles and the KC Defense, but Alex Smith?

What makes week 14 resemble the past three weeks more closely than the entire season prior to that?

Alex Smith is probably on some people's WW. Is FBG on to something? Can Alex Smith become a fantasy playoff WW hero?

If you haven't watched the uptick in QB's facing the Washington defense, you haven't been paying attention. Smith is low QB1 this week, just based on a higher floor than the guys immediately behind him. That being said, I'm not going to buy into Smith as a QB1 moving forward until I see Bloom's cheatsheet, which hasn't come out yet.

If Reid thinks he can save wear and tear on Charles, I can see him trying to win more through the air against the soft Skins pass D than on the ground, particularly if he can develop greater array of receivers to use going forward.

Good point DC,

I think the bigger implication of Smith's bullish ranking isn't so much Smith, who's mostly owned in competitive leagues. It's the 'sneaky' plays, the Avery's, McCluster's, even Fasano's of the fantasy world that are out there on most people's wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Smith has a great pass schedule during the next 3 weeks of the fantasy playoffs - @ Wash, @ Oak, and Indy. Those are 3 sorry pass defenses. Smith has averaged 25 ppg over his last 3 games in FFPC scoring. I will be starting Smith as my QB this week in a 14 team, 4 team playoff in a $2,500 entry fee league that features cumulative scoring over the next 3 weeks. RG3 is my other option in this league, but I've seen more than enough of his one-read, inaccurate overthrows and underthrows this year.

OP makes a good point, however, that KC may not need to throw the ball as much this game as compared to the Denver games.

Smith has a great pass schedule during the next 3 weeks of the fantasy playoffs - @ Wash, @ Oak, and Indy. Those are 3 sorry pass defenses. Smith has averaged 25 ppg over his last 3 games in FFPC scoring. I will be starting Smith as my QB this week in a 14 team, 4 team playoff in a $2,500 entry fee league that features cumulative scoring over the next 3 weeks. RG3 is my other option in this league, but I've seen more than enough of his one-read, inaccurate overthrows and underthrows this year.

OP makes a good point, however, that KC may not need to throw the ball as much this game as compared to the Denver games.
The latter is what I would expect to happen, but WAS did hold Andre Brown to 14/35. Brown isn't in Charles' class, but perhaps WAS is getting a bit more stingy on the defensive side. Due to Romo's low production, I am considering dropping Smith in for this week.

Rotoworld:

Alex Smith's five touchdown passes in Sunday's win at Oakland traveled a combined 13 yards downfield.

The Raiders were absolutely inept against screen passes, leading to three Jamaal Charles touchdowns. Charles also scored on a simple wheel route and Smith hit Sean McGrath on a quick slant for another score. The final stats for Smith (17-of-20, 287 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs) are impressive, but he didn't have to do a lot of work in this one. He remains a QB2 ahead of a Week 16 matchup with an inconsistent Colts defense.

Source: Josh Dubow on Twitter

Raiderfan32904 said:
You are too hard on yourself. He totally rode the coattails of Charles yesterday. Yes, oakland's defense is terrible, but Smith benefitted greatly from a couple easy throws to a great playmaker.

Rotoworld:

Alex Smith's five touchdown passes in Sunday's win at Oakland traveled a combined 13 yards downfield.

The Raiders were absolutely inept against screen passes, leading to three Jamaal Charles touchdowns. Charles also scored on a simple wheel route and Smith hit Sean McGrath on a quick slant for another score. The final stats for Smith (17-of-20, 287 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs) are impressive, but he didn't have to do a lot of work in this one. He remains a QB2 ahead of a Week 16 matchup with an inconsistent Colts defense.

Source: Josh Dubow on Twitter
Nice to know! IF I win this weekend it will be because of Smith's tds--but I've actually been waiting to see Kaepernick with Crabtree back and that Atlanta matchup is a nice one. Tough decision and maybe no help--the leaguemate who has already stamped his ticket to the playoff final just broke the league scoring record while taking out the Peyton Manning squad.

Users who are viewing this thread