What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Aboard the Rainey Trainey (1 Viewer)

So this is interesting as far as the combine and pro day numbers are. Rainey wasn't invited to the combine, so had to do a pro-day and he was WK's all-time leading rusher.

Doug Martin 5'9 223#

40 yd dash: 4.55

Cone Drill: 6.79

Bench Reps: 28

Vert: 36"

20yd Shuttle: 4.16

Bobby Rainey 5'7 205#

40 yd dash: 4.51

Cone Drill: 6.61

Bench Reps: 24

Vert: 35.5"

20yd Shuttle: 4.13

I think they both had 10' broad jumps as well.

Top 3 dynasty rb. Better than james who was better than martin. Schiano > shanahan

:spthink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wanted to start Rainey this week, but due to the Bucs being a late game & not knowing if Martin would play, I couldn't chance it. At the start of the early games, everybody was reporting that Martin would be active, and I started Shonn freaking Greene over Rainey. Cost me a win too.

I have both Rainey & Martin, and I just hope Martin stays hurt at this point.

Mildly surprised this isn't a bigger talked about story today. This guy looks good every shot he gets.

Was he in Baltimore for a while? If its the guy I am thinking of that was, seems like the Ravens made a mistake.

Resident A said:
I really wanted to start Rainey this week, but due to the Bucs being a late game & not knowing if Martin would play, I couldn't chance it. At the start of the early games, everybody was reporting that Martin would be active, and I started Shonn freaking Greene over Rainey. Cost me a win too.

I have both Rainey & Martin, and I just hope Martin stays hurt at this point.
depending on who else you have, I'd think about starting both against ATL.

I only saw the stat line 22/144 3/30 and few plays on RZ, but the guy looked very good. When you compare that do Doug Martin's unimpressive YPC and injury, does any think that Rainey takes the starting job? Remember, TB has ATL this week on Thursday night and they are one of the worst run defenses in this young season.

Any updates on Martin's availability? Any insight from homers on the backfield split going forward?

Thoughts on his value/production going forward? If Martin isn't back next week, he is a must start obviously but what about weeks beyond that?

Coach Lovie Smith suggested Doug Martin (knee) would have participated Monday if the Bucs had held a practice.
As beat writer Rick Stroud notes, it means Martin is "in play" for Thursday night's game at Atlanta. The Falcons have been gashed by the run game through two weeks -- surrendering a league-high five rushing TDs -- but Martin's role isn't entirely clear. Bobby Rainey went off for 22-144 and 3-30 in the pass game during Sunday's loss to St. Louis. This may be an even RBBC with Martin back

Martin is carrying the ball in practice today. That's gotta make you cautious about getting Rainey on waivers unless you are a Martin owner and have an open spot for the handcuff. Better waiver options for RB depth.

Doug Martin (knee) participated in Tuesday's practice, and was running with the first-team offense.
It's a sign the Bucs fully expect Martin to go for Thursday night's game against the Falcons. The question is what his role will be. Martin struggled mightily in Week 1, while backup Bobby Rainey went off against the Rams in his absence in Week 2. For now, owners should consider Martin a borderline RB2 against a Falcons run defense that's been gashed through the season's first two games.

With the way Rainey looked last week, plus last season while Martin was out, I find it hard to believe Martin will just take over. Rainey has excelled in the exact same situation that Martin keeps falling on his face.

Martin will probably get the start, but he won't get more than 50% of the snaps. And if he stinks it up again, the Rainey Trainey will ride on.

With the way Rainey looked last week, plus last season while Martin was out, I find it hard to believe Martin will just take over. Rainey has excelled in the exact same situation that Martin keeps falling on his face.

Martin will probably get the start, but he won't get more than 50% of the snaps. And if he stinks it up again, the Rainey Trainey will ride on.
Thank god they play atl. He's keeping his job

...and how much do you want a 50% back in the TB offense? can't even flex that unless in a deep league

...and how much do you want a 50% back in the TB offense? can't even flex that unless in a deep league
With so few decent RB options out there, don't really have a choice.

With so few decent RB options out there, don't really have a choice.
D Brown has to be better, yes? Mathews is doing his same crap, he's out for several weeks and probably not very good when he gets back. Martin looks to be playing this week so you may never see Rainey at more than 50% workload. Brown will be 70%+ and SD has a better offense.

What's the odds he takes Martin's job? Martin hasn't looked got for two seasons now. Maybe his knee is still an issue.

From Rotoworld

Doug Martin (knee) participated in Tuesday's practice, and was running with the first-team offense.
It's a sign the Bucs fully expect Martin to go for Thursday night's game against the Falcons. The question is what his role will be. Martin struggled mightily in Week 1, while backup Bobby Rainey went off against the Rams in his absence in Week 2. For now, owners should consider Martin a borderline RB2 against a Falcons run defense that's been gashed through the season's first two games. Sep 16 - 2:00 PM
Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

What's the odds he takes Martin's job? Martin hasn't looked got for two seasons now. Maybe his knee is still an issue.
I would say 40 percent, but your second statement is a little unfair to Martin. He looked bad in one game this year and he looked bad in 2 games last year, very average in 3 games and good in 1 game. 7 games isn't 2 years.

17seconds said:
Martin is carrying the ball in practice today. That's gotta make you cautious about getting Rainey on waivers unless you are a Martin owner and have an open spot for the handcuff. Better waiver options for RB depth.
They Bucs will go back to their original RBBC plan. Martin will get first and second down, Rainey will get third. They'll alternate series, etc. I expect Martin to be the goalline back, so I guess he would have the most value.

Neither player is going to "lose their job." They want to use them both.

As a Bucs fan who has watched every one of Rainey's (and Martin's, and James') snaps - be careful.

He had a couple big games last year but only against mediocre run defences. Any time he played a good defence, he disappeared. And as bad as Martin was in week 1, Rainey was just as poor.

The big defence in week 2 was the Bucs were playing a weaker run defence and the OL played much better (not in pass pro though). Rainey's value to my mind is capped by Martin (who is a superior player unless he's regressing). Worst case, could be a RBBC.

As a Bucs fan who has watched every one of Rainey's (and Martin's, and James') snaps - be careful.

He had a couple big games last year but only against mediocre run defences. Any time he played a good defence, he disappeared. And as bad as Martin was in week 1, Rainey was just as poor.

The big defence in week 2 was the Bucs were playing a weaker run defence and the OL played much better (not in pass pro though). Rainey's value to my mind is capped by Martin (who is a superior player unless he's regressing). Worst case, could be a RBBC.
Thanks for your insight! Makes me feel better about Martin (Yep, I'm that easily convinced!) and I might not go the Rainey-route for the waiver wire now.

It just felt/feels, as if Rainey could really challenge Martin for the starting gig.

Thanks for your insight! Makes me feel better about Martin (Yep, I'm that easily convinced!) and I might not go the Rainey-route for the waiver wire now.

It just felt/feels, as if Rainey could really challenge Martin for the starting gig.
If I was a Martin owner, I'd still definitely pick up Rainey as a handcuff. Lovie is weirdly opaque about his RB decisions (if you remember the talk all offseason was an RBBC). Look to how he handled Forte in Chicago.

I am much higher on Martin, but there is risk both with the knee and with Rainey. The whole offence in Tampa has been weird - they have Vjax and bring in Evans but haven't been throwing to them. The current word from the beat writers is that hte Bucs held Martin out so that he would be ready for the Thursday night game. I think that's true, and the Falcons are bad against the run, but I'd protect yourself.

Completely disagree. The rams have a rather stingy run d.Carolina ranks 15th fewest for rb points given up. St. Louis ranks 9th fewest...

If your theory is correct, and he beat up on cupcakes last year, and St. Louis is a cupcake, then why did he only rush for 37 yards on 20 carries (1.9 ypc) vs stl last year? Yet he had 3.7 ypc vs carolina last year.

One of his best games was against buffalo... 127 yards at 5.8 ypc. Buffalo ranked 5th best against the run last year. Granted yes, one of his other good games was against atl, who are terrible vs the run, but he also had a high ypc against Miami who was in the upper middle (13). So, he did it against the worst, middle, and the best. It wasn't against a bunch of cupcakes

Rainey is the real deal. Martin... Something is wrong with him. Watch them try Martin again this week and then go to Rainey by the end of the game.

Carolina completely shut the running game down. Rainey looked explosive against the Rams. We haven't had the opportunity to see Martin yet.

Rams run D hasn't been good yet. They have trying to stop the pass more than the run. They were trying to stop Vjax and Evans, which they did a good job on.

Completely disagree. The rams have a rather stingy run d.Carolina ranks 15th fewest for rb points given up. St. Louis ranks 9th fewest...

If your theory is correct, and he beat up on cupcakes last year, and St. Louis is a cupcake, then why did he only rush for 37 yards on 20 carries (1.9 ypc) vs stl last year? Yet he had 3.7 ypc vs carolina last year.

One of his best games was against buffalo... 127 yards at 5.8 ypc. Buffalo ranked 5th best against the run last year. Granted yes, one of his other good games was against atl, who are terrible vs the run, but he also had a high ypc against Miami who was in the upper middle (13). So, he did it against the worst, middle, and the best. It wasn't against a bunch of cupcakes

Rainey is the real deal. Martin... Something is wrong with him. Watch them try Martin again this week and then go to Rainey by the end of the game.
St Louis is a cupcake against the run this year. That is why the Vikings had like 200 yards rushing and Rainey just ripped them apart

St Louis is a cupcake against the run this year. That is why the Vikings had like 200 yards rushing and Rainey just ripped them apart
They help AP in check, but Patterson broke a long one with some poor tackling

Well in the preseason games I watched Martin looked pretty decent so yeah it's only been a couple of games so far of the regular season.

If he is active I probably start him against Atl because they have been so bad against the run. If he flops against Atlanta then it comes time to worry. Too much over analysis these days IMO.

he avg'd a paltry 3.2 ypc in preseason..rumors are that he was benched week one, then the knee..it kind of has the Larry Johnson taking over for Priest Holmes feel to it (2005)..I dont see how they're going to keep him off the field..something's just plain wrong with Martin, something beside the knee injury..

he avg'd a paltry 3.2 ypc in preseason..rumors are that he was benched week one, then the knee..it kind of has the Larry Johnson taking over for Priest Holmes feel to it (2005)..I dont see how they're going to keep him off the field..something's just plain wrong with Martin, something beside the knee injury..
I get more of the feeling of Willis McGahee taking over for Trent Richardson feeling.

It's too early to rank defences (except teams at the margins) based on two games. Carolina being 15th and the Rams 9th is noise at this point. But to answer your question, so far the Rams have been gashed in two games so far, and I'm guessing they'll show that they are a much weaker run defence this year (perhaps losing Long hurts as well?). And yes, they were a strong run defence last year.

I'm not sure where you're getting your ranking of Buffalo being 5th against the run - if we're looking at yards/game Buffalo gave up 128.9 yards/game last year and were ranked 28th in that stat. Atlanta was 31st with 135.8 yards/game. Miami was the toughest of his good games but they gave up 124.9 yards/game and were ranked 24th. -And more importantly, he had 8 runs for 45 yards. A nice stat line, but those are 8 carries.

So in the 7 games he started last year, he had two very good games aginst bad rush defences. The rest of the games he didn't top 3.7 yards a game, and didn't top a 3.8/avg for the season.

Further, you can evenlook at the Buffalo game you'll notice that he had an 80 yard run. He was NOT having a good game prior to that run. And the run was impressive. But without that run, he's averaging 2.2 yards a carry that game. Obviously you can't cherry pick and remove specific runs but I think it is another indicator of a (so far) mediocre back. Is it possible that changes this year? Sure, but I've only seen a little indication last week that maybe that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread