What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Aboard the Rainey Trainey (1 Viewer)

I would love to start him but their RB situation is clear as mud. I have Martin too, and the match up and ATL is money, but I might have to go another direction until I see more.

As a Bucs fan who has watched every one of Rainey's (and Martin's, and James') snaps - be careful. He had a couple big games last year but only against mediocre run defences. Any time he played a good defence, he disappeared. And as bad as Martin was in week 1, Rainey was just as poor. The big defence in week 2 was the Bucs were playing a weaker run defence and the OL played much better (not in pass pro though). Rainey's value to my mind is capped by Martin (who is a superior player unless he's regressing). Worst case, could be a RBBC.
Completely disagree. The rams have a rather stingy run d.Carolina ranks 15th fewest for rb points given up. St. Louis ranks 9th fewest...If your theory is correct, and he beat up on cupcakes last year, and St. Louis is a cupcake, then why did he only rush for 37 yards on 20 carries (1.9 ypc) vs stl last year? Yet he had 3.7 ypc vs carolina last year.One of his best games was against buffalo... 127 yards at 5.8 ypc. Buffalo ranked 5th best against the run last year. Granted yes, one of his other good games was against atl, who are terrible vs the run, but he also had a high ypc against Miami who was in the upper middle (13). So, he did it against the worst, middle, and the best. It wasn't against a bunch of cupcakesRainey is the real deal. Martin... Something is wrong with him. Watch them try Martin again this week and then go to Rainey by the end of the game.
It's too early to rank defences (except teams at the margins) based on two games. Carolina being 15th and the Rams 9th is noise at this point. But to answer your question, so far the Rams have been gashed in two games so far, and I'm guessing they'll show that they are a much weaker run defence this year (perhaps losing Long hurts as well?). And yes, they were a strong run defence last year. I'm not sure where you're getting your ranking of Buffalo being 5th against the run - if we're looking at yards/game Buffalo gave up 128.9 yards/game last year and were ranked 28th in that stat. Atlanta was 31st with 135.8 yards/game. Miami was the toughest of his good games but they gave up 124.9 yards/game and were ranked 24th. -And more importantly, he had 8 runs for 45 yards. A nice stat line, but those are 8 carries. So in the 7 games he started last year, he had two very good games aginst bad rush defences. The rest of the games he didn't top 3.7 yards a game, and didn't top a 3.8/avg for the season. Further, you can evenlook at the Buffalo game you'll notice that he had an 80 yard run. He was NOT having a good game prior to that run. And the run was impressive. But without that run, he's averaging 2.2 yards a carry that game. Obviously you can't cherry pick and remove specific runs but I think it is another indicator of a (so far) mediocre back. Is it possible that changes this year? Sure, but I've only seen a little indication last week that maybe that's the case.
I admit its a small sample size, and im not talking about yards, I'm saying FP allowed to RBs, that's where stl and car fall right now (according to yahoo)Regarding buffalo, I was reading my rankings backwards...

And no, you can't take that one run out. I disagree when you imply that without that one run he was doing pretty bad, and that it shows a mediocre back. I personally would prefer a rb who gets pretty consistent yardage vs a rb who gets garbage and then busts one loose. A lot of RBs wear down defenses and then when they get an inch they take a mile. I think Rainey us one of those you pound with and when he gets a little space he can be dangerous.

He's not a lottery ticket by any means, but he looks better than Martin, and very well could be tbs best chance to win games. As far as fantasy goes, unless Martin does well the next two weeks I think its clear Rainey would be the better back to own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coach Lovie Smith said the Bucs are planning on using a committee at running back for Thursday night's game at Atlanta.

Doug Martin (knee) is expected to suit up, but Smith has declined to name a starter.

As a Martin owner, I'm starting to get very concerned of a full out RBBC here.
I think most Martin owners have been there for a couple of weeks. Rainey looks like the better back right now and Lovie Smith might stay with the hot hand.

Hmm. This looks like one of those games where I am going to "wait and see what happens for a week" and then be really annoyed that I left Rainey on the bench.

I think most Martin owners have been there for a couple of weeks. Rainey looks like the better back right now and Lovie Smith might stay with the hot hand.
Thinking about offering a future 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick for Rainey - so at least I have the pair. Of course when Sims comes back it will be even more muddled. Not sure what to do. I could flex him out for a WR like Fitz or K Wright.

Thinking about offering a future 2nd or 3rd round rookie pick for Rainey - so at least I have the pair. Of course when Sims comes back it will be even more muddled. Not sure what to do. I could flex him out for a WR like Fitz or K Wright.
I wouldn't take a 2nd for Rainey right now because I think he's about to seize the job.

I have no horse in this race, but can relax on saying Rainey is better because of one game? Rainey averaged 3.77 yards per carry last year. I really have no idea who is better, I think it is a coin flip right now. I think we will need a couple games of a committee to actually figure out who is the better back, and even then it might not be a fair fight if Martin has a knee injury that is hampering him.

I have no horse in this race, but can relax on saying Rainey is better because of one game? Rainey averaged 3.77 yards per carry last year. I really have no idea who is better, I think it is a coin flip right now. I think we will need a couple games of a committee to actually figure out who is the better back, and even then it might not be a fair fight if Martin has a knee injury that is hampering him.
Agree, and I have no horse, but it's worth noting that the OL + Glennon weren't backing anyone off the LOS.

I do think the OL is a bit better this year.

Could very well be about volume of carries down there. Not counting on either to get enough volume to do damage at this point.

I don't have Martin or Rainey, but I would start BOTH against a terrible Atlanta defense. Here's what they gave up to the Saints and Bengals:

Saints:

Ingram - 19 points

Thomas - 14 points

Robinson - 8 points

Bengals:

Bernard - 27 points

Hill - 17 points

As you can see there's plenty of points to go around. And I say this as a Falcons fan. Yes the Saints and Bengals have much better offenses than Tampa Bay, but they should still be able to run on Atlanta. And if the Falcons have trouble with a tough Bucs defense, the game script should setup for a lot of touches for Martin and Rainey.

I don't have Martin or Rainey, but I would start BOTH against a terrible Atlanta defense. Here's what they gave up to the Saints and Bengals:

Saints:

Ingram - 19 points

Thomas - 14 points

Robinson - 8 points

Bengals:

Bernard - 27 points

Hill - 17 points

As you can see there's plenty of points to go around. And I say this as a Falcons fan. Yes the Saints and Bengals have much better offenses than Tampa Bay, but they should still be able to run on Atlanta. And if the Falcons have trouble with a tough Bucs defense, the game script should setup for a lot of touches for Martin and Rainey.
Great post other than "tough Bucs defense." They're really banged up and couldn't stop St. Louis or Carolina with backup QBs. Matt Ryan is going to torch them. I do think this game will be a shootout though and both TB RBs will get 10+ touches.

For my RB2 lineup spot, I have Ridley vs. OAK, Le'Veon Bell at CAR, or Rainey tonight. And I'm really tempted to roll with Rainey.

:scared:

I'm not an owner but just as a casual observer it seems to me Rainey plays well every time he gets a shot. Maybe he's just a better RB.

I traded Martin away this week, but kept Rainey. I'm hoping it turns out to be the Shark move I think it'll be.

If Rainey has a better game than Martin tonight, you won't be able to get anything for Martin again this year. Unless you have 100% faith in Martin, trade him today.

I agree. It's too early to tell.

I see this being a committee for a while unless one back looks outstanding and the other one looks horrible. It's hard to tell who is better if they aren't both put in the same opportunity. If Martin plays tonight, I think this situation will start to become a little clearer.

i don't believe the rainey hype

lovie smith said that martin would be the bellcow but would filter in some of the other backs to get him rest

rainey also was CUT and then resigned by TB after the injuries

martin faced a tough def against carolina with NO HOLES - there was no were to go

I fail to see how things changed that quickly in the pecking order with these events

rainey did well last week, but martin likely would have done just as well

i think martin starts, sees 60-65% of the work, rainey gets filtered in

buy low on doug martin

lovie smith said that martin would be the bellcow but would filter in some of the other backs to get him rest

martin faced a tough def against carolina with NO HOLES - there was no were to go

I fail to see how things changed that quickly in the pecking order with these events

buy low on doug martin
Are you, by chance, a Doug Martin owner?

@RapSheet: What about #Bucs RB Doug Martin? I’m told he’s unlikely to play tonight vs. #Falcons with that knee injury. Will test out pregame to be sure

Tampas running game has been wildly inconsistent over the past couple of years.

Mike James, Bobby Rainey and Doug Martin have all had great games followed by complete duds. Last year Martin had 4 games in which he averaged 4.55 yards per carry and 2 where he averaged 2.15

I don't know how to explain it and I don't know exactly what it means but I do know that Martin is bigger and a better pass catcher, and based on his draft scouting reports, a better run blocker.

I'm not concerned right now and wont be concerned if Rainey goes off tonight (I expect him to because he did against Atlanta last year).

I will however be concerned if he goes off tonight and starts and goes off against the Steelers next week.

buy low on doug martin
Doug Martin - RB - Buccaneers
According NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Doug Martin (knee) is unlikely to play in Thursday night's game against the Falcons.

Related: Bobby Rainey

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

buy low on doug martin
According NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Doug Martin (knee) is unlikely to play in Thursday night's game against the Falcons.

Oooh.

If Martin is inactive I may sit M. Ball (@SEA) for Rainey.

buy low on doug martin

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Hopefully we get a little more info about this from multiple sources. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.4444446563721px]The AM news that Rainey is starting doesn't mean much to me. Basically means he's in there on the first series or 2. Game plans always change. But if Martin is not in good shape to play that's a whole different story.[/SIZE]

Assuming Martin is getting a decent share it is a good idea to start one and flex one, however my WRs are too good to do that in the league where I have both of them. I've got to pick one.

buy low on doug martin
Are you, by chance, a Doug Martin owner?
It's equally easy to spot the Rainey owners. Rainey owners are acting like Doug Martin is about to be cut from the team.

Really bad news for Martin if he ends up missing such a juicy matchup where his backup will look great. Things would be a lot different if he was missing a game against Carolina or Seattle and Lovie got to watch Rainey run into the back of the line for 1 ypc all night in his absence.

Really bad news for Martin if he ends up missing such a juicy matchup where his backup will look great. Things would be a lot different if he was missing a game against Carolina or Seattle and Lovie got to watch Rainey run into the back of the line for 1 ypc all night in his absence.
Like Martin already did this year!

Well, exactly.

Martin's body of work this season consists of 9 carries against a run D that has allowed 2.8ypc to running backs this year. After this week Rainey's will likely consist of ~60 carries against two of the bottom run defenses in the league.

That is all that Lovie will have seen of the two in real game action, and I think things would be pretty different if Martin had missed the Carolina game and played against Atlanta.

Well, exactly.

Martin's body of work this season consists of 9 carries against a run D that has allowed 2.8ypc to running backs this year. After this week Rainey's will likely consist of ~60 carries against two of the bottom run defenses in the league.

That is all that Lovie will have seen of the two in real game action, and I think things would be pretty different if Martin had missed the Carolina game and played against Atlanta.
Ha. That 2.8 average is because of Martin. What a weird stat to pull to make an argument.

Lovie and the coaches know what they have, and sure part of it comes from game time performance, but it's also what they see every day since beginning of camp.

Well, exactly.

Ha. That 2.8 average is because of Martin. What a weird stat to pull to make an argument.
3.4ypc with Martin's whopping 9 carries removed.

Regardless, they've given up less than 100 yards to running backs so far on the season. Pretty different than the Falcons who have given up 300+ at 5ypc.

Rainey is a must start if Martin is out. Rainey has been up and down over his career but he's had some great running performances against bad run defenses. I think he had the best running performance of the year last year according to PFF. Could be wrong on that though.

Disclaimer - I am a Martin and Rainey dynasty owner who is in Hold mode.

Watching that Carolina game, Rainey definitely provided a spark when he came in, and the running game looked energized. He then backed it up with an impressive performance against STL. I wouldn't be surprised if they ride the hot hand and I'm tempted to start Rainey, but I'm not playing either unless I get pre-game news that Martin isn't playing.

Disclaimer - I am a Martin and Rainey dynasty owner who is in Hold mode.

Watching that Carolina game, Rainey definitely provided a spark when he came in, and the running game looked energized. He then backed it up with an impressive performance against STL. I wouldn't be surprised if they ride the hot hand and I'm tempted to start Rainey, but I'm not playing either unless I get pre-game news that Martin isn't playing.
You are you starting instead? Must be pretty good. I think the 2nd option for those of us who own both and don't start either is someone like Chris Johnson

Yes ... and like Bush and Bell did last week. And unfortunately what Leveon Bell will likely do this week

Users who are viewing this thread