What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Time Soccer/Football Draft and Tourney (1 Viewer)

AcerFC said:
Irwin is a fullback. I am thinking something like this

-----Kahn----

Rio

Irwin-------------------- Cole

Staam

Seedorf--- Iniesta----  Davids

Villa--------Cryuff

RVN
I'd put Iniesta in front of Seedorf/Davids.  Not really known for his defense despite tracking back a lot. Put your two best players a little closer together in the center and let Villa/Ruud drag defenders wide and make diagonal runs to feed.  YMMV

Something like:

Seedoft ----- Davids

Iniesta

Cryuff

RVN-------------Villa

Cranston's Ten....

Amsterdam Arena (Until Cranston Stadium) rebulid is complete.

Manager Arsene Wenger

Our Sideline girl will be 9.0 Miss Universe Olivia from Cranston, until another random 10.0 from Garden City replaces her this summer.

------------------------------------ Peter Schmeichel -GK -------------------------------------

---Wim Suurbier RB---Tony Adams CB----Jose Santamaria CB---Antonio Cabrini LB --

----------------------------------Roy Keane DM --------------------------------------------

--------------------Michael Laudrup AM --- Nando Hidegkuti AM-----------------------------

Robben-------------------------Ronaldo----------------------------Ronaldinho

Attack Subs-David Silva AM-Thomas Muller-Gareth Bale

Mid Subs (stud)- Demetrio Albertini CM-Craig Bellamy AM

D Subs- Hans Peter Briegal DM/CB - Eric Gerets RB -Bale at LB also

We will attack and bang heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very busy with work, but go with my lineup I posted last Friday I believe.  Nando is my best player imo, so I need to do a quick feature on him as nobody knows I bet.

Cranston's Ten....

Amsterdam Arena (Until Cranston Stadium) rebulid is complete.

Manager Arsene Wenger

Our Sideline girl will be 9.0 Miss Universe Olivia from Cranston, until another random 10.0 from Garden City replaces her this summer.

------------------------------------ Peter Schmeichel -GK -------------------------------------

---Wim Suurbier RB---Tony Adams CB----Jose Santamaria CB---Antonio Cabrini LB --

----------------------------------Roy Keane DM --------------------------------------------

--------------------Michael Laudrup AM --- Nando Hidegkuti AM-----------------------------

Robben-------------------------Ronaldo----------------------------Ronaldinho

Attack Subs-David Silva AM-Thomas Muller-Gareth Bale

Mid Subs (stud)- Demetrio Albertini CM-Craig Bellamy AM

D Subs- Hans Peter Briegal DM/CB - Eric Gerets RB -Bale at LB also

We will attack and bang heads.
If someone can move this to the game thread I would appreciate it. I suxor at formatting from my phone.  Tia

I'm away to ((Morpheus)).

If you have interview questions, PM them to me, and I'll give you a shtick or serious response as the occasion demands.
Q & A with manager Ottmar Hitzfeld

Reporter: Can you explain the decision to start Benzema over an all time great like Romario?

Hitzfeld: I may be the manager, but I'm still just a club employee and sometimes these decisions are made for reasons other than common sense football tactics. Obviously Romario is the better player, but if the chairman has certain inclinations my hands are tied (storms out of interview)

Q & A with manager Ottmar Hitzfeld

Reporter: Can you explain the decision to start Benzema over an all time great like Romario?

Hitzfeld: I may be the manager, but I'm still just a club employee and sometimes these decisions are made for reasons other than common sense football tactics. Obviously Romario is the better player, but if the chairman has certain inclinations my hands are tied (storms out of interview)
Gottmar and I had a long talk about this over some fine red wine and some pill he gave me that I didn't recognize.  He was very ... persuasive.

Romario starts.  Benz is up in the owner's box in case I need to be comforted.

Anyone want to volunteer to do ((Morpheus)) lineup for him?  As his opponent, I probably shouldn't do it, and I really have no idea who he intends to play on the left of midfield.

Sorry I needed to get away from this draft for a while.  I was dreaming about old soccer videos. 

What do I need to provide before the dice take over?

Alright, here's might shot in the dark

((MORPH)) SC

Without knowing too much this VERY old and unique squad, that asymmetrical formation seems to be a good fit. Three excellent CBs are the foundation of this team with a devastating DM sitting in front of them. Nobody scores down the middle here. Lahm at RM will track back really well and cover his space. Varela is shifted slightly to left to cover for the marauding Jairzinho.  Either Varela or Baresi can slide out and cover while the other holds/fills in the LCB spot.  Sir Bobby is the driving force here, with deadly weapons in front of him with Coluna running off of him. This team should control possession in most games while conceding few goals. 

Sorry I needed to get away from this draft for a while.  I was dreaming about old soccer videos. 

What do I need to provide before the dice take over?
You will play on Thursday.  If you could add your lineup in the graphical site of your choice to this page, it would be helpful.  Most have chosen to provide a write up on their team for the voting period.  That can be a few paragraphs, or a charvik length opus challenging A la recherche du temps perdu.

Alright, here's might shot in the dark

((MORPH)) SC

Without knowing too much this VERY old and unique squad, that asymmetrical formation seems to be a good fit. Three excellent CBs are the foundation of this team with a devastating DM sitting in front of them. Nobody scores down the middle here. Lahm at RM will track back really well and cover his space. Varela is shifted slightly to left to cover for the marauding Jairzinho.  Either Varela or Baresi can slide out and cover while the other holds/fills in the LCB spot.  Sir Bobby is the driving force here, with deadly weapons in front of him with Coluna running off of him. This team should control possession in most games while conceding few goals. 
Jairzinho played on the left for Brazil until Garrincha retired, but he wasn't a world class player until he was on the right.   Burgnich could also play CB but was mostly a RB with Inter and Italy.  Lahm was a left back for a long time, so I think the back line could go Lahm Baresi Vasovic Burgnich.

I think that maybe a 4-1-3-2 would make sense.  Corluna would be on the left, but mostly pinching in with Lahm on the overlap.  Jairzinho would be on the right as an attacking midfielder who would move out wide and run at players.  Moreno would play off Di Stefano which seems as close as I can manage for a guy who played in a 5 man forward line! at River Plate.  Sub Jairzinho for Gerson, and you'd have a pretty standard 4-2-2-2 as well.  Gerson at deep lying playmaker, Varela holding.  Charlton and Coluna as AMs, and the two strikers.  

This is in Brazil, right? 
Azteca

This brings up a question mentioned in one of the game threads.  My plan was to do groups where each team played everyone else twice so that each matchup had a home and away component.

Here's the thing:

1.  I'm not getting the sense that anyone is considering the home field advantage at all. 

2.  I'm not sure any of us really have the enthusiasm for all those games and I've gotten busier at work and am about to move in the next month. 

Should we just all agree that stadiums don't matter going forward and just do one trip through? 

Welcome to Wombletown

Wombletown has taken a more defensive approach to this tournament.  The squad and tactics were constructed around the unique talents of Beckenbauer.  He'll operate as a libero in a five man back line.  Kohler and Vidic will be assigned man marking responsibilities in the center.  Facchetti and Thuram will play as wingbacks.  With so much offensive quality in the opposing sides, the wings must play disciplined defense but both have the capability to go forward on the counter.  The wingbacks will be the primary source of width in this setup.

The midfield will be a narrow triangle with Souness sitting a bit deeper than Gerrard and Pogba.  The latter two will play box-to-box.  Up front, Charles will play as more of a target man while Shevchenko will be asked to drop deeper when necessary.  Chilavert in goal wouldn't be my choice for a long season but in a short tournament, he's an inspirational and ushakable presence.

The gaffer Rehagel lives for situations like this. More fancied attacking sides have often grown frustrated against his well organized system.  He's o stranger to 5-3-2, having used it to great success at Werder Bremen.  His Greek underdogs in 2004 played with Traianos Dellas in the sweeper role so he'll be able to get much greater things from Der Kaiser. 

The team has taken well to Rehagel's kontrollierte offensive system.  I anticipate we'll play more direct than most teams in this tournament but don't be fooled by my route one schtick.  These players have the skills to be more creative than just hoofing it forward.  However, they'll be creative with five passes rather than fifteen.  Direct football leads to more free kicks which will be crucial in a tournament loaded with talent.  I think more goals will be scored off set plays than normal but the dice will tell.

The bench offers some enticing attacking threats for when we're up 2-0 and looking for a third.  Klinsmann is a proven goal scorer on the biggest stages.  Waddle and Ze Roberto allow us to switch to a four man back line with more advanced players on the wings.  Okocha can create something out of nothing if that's what we need.  If it comes down to penalties, we can pull a LVG and bring Beasant in as a specialty keeper.  Chilavert can change shirts and stay in the game so he can step up first to take his kick.  It's a sign of this team's depth that Crompton, the #6 right back of all-time according to some guy on Big Soccer, will be deployed primarily to make sure there are no shenanigans.

1.  I'm not getting the sense that anyone is considering the home field advantage at all.
I've been giving categories that are 50-50 to the home team. But I agree it doesn't seem to be having a huge impact.

2.  I'm not sure any of us really have the enthusiasm for all those games and I've gotten busier at work and am about to move in the next month. 
Agreed. 6-8 games per team is a lot, and seeing the same matchups for the 2nd time won't generate much interesting discussion.

Welcome to Wombletown

Wombletown has taken a more defensive approach to this tournament.  The squad and tactics were constructed around the unique talents of Beckenbauer.  He'll operate as a libero in a five man back line.  Kohler and Vidic will be assigned man marking responsibilities in the center.  Facchetti and Thuram will play as wingbacks.  With so much offensive quality in the opposing sides, the wings must play disciplined defense but both have the capability to go forward on the counter.  The wingbacks will be the primary source of width in this setup.

The midfield will be a narrow triangle with Souness sitting a bit deeper than Gerrard and Pogba.  The latter two will play box-to-box.  Up front, Charles will play as more of a target man while Shevchenko will be asked to drop deeper when necessary.  Chilavert in goal wouldn't be my choice for a long season but in a short tournament, he's an inspirational and ushakable presence.

The gaffer Rehagel lives for situations like this. More fancied attacking sides have often grown frustrated against his well organized system.  He's o stranger to 5-3-2, having used it to great success at Werder Bremen.  His Greek underdogs in 2004 played with Traianos Dellas in the sweeper role so he'll be able to get much greater things from Der Kaiser. 

The team has taken well to Rehagel's kontrollierte offensive system.  I anticipate we'll play more direct than most teams in this tournament but don't be fooled by my route one schtick.  These players have the skills to be more creative than just hoofing it forward.  However, they'll be creative with five passes rather than fifteen.  Direct football leads to more free kicks which will be crucial in a tournament loaded with talent.  I think more goals will be scored off set plays than normal but the dice will tell.

The bench offers some enticing attacking threats for when we're up 2-0 and looking for a third.  Klinsmann is a proven goal scorer on the biggest stages.  Waddle and Ze Roberto allow us to switch to a four man back line with more advanced players on the wings.  Okocha can create something out of nothing if that's what we need.  If it comes down to penalties, we can pull a LVG and bring Beasant in as a specialty keeper.  Chilavert can change shirts and stay in the game so he can step up first to take his kick.  It's a sign of this team's depth that Crompton, the #6 right back of all-time according to some guy on Big Soccer, will be deployed primarily to make sure there are no shenanigans.
Love the five man back line with a Libero in the middle :oldschool:

I'll be driving all day to a vacation spot.

Basically I think all of you know far more about my team than I do.

I envision Eusebio, Rivaldo, Baggio and Dzajic as an elite group of attackers.  Klopp likes to press and these guys will take the game to the opposition.  

Pirlo and Makelele both redefined their positions at midfield.  Pirlo will control the game offensively and Makelele will keep my defense clear as he is redefined the DM position.

Sub 1 would be Gattuso for Dzajic if I feel I need less attacking and more defense.

Thats all I can think of on my phone.  I'll be behind the wheel for a long trip to New York.  Use this post to describe what I'll do and vote Shader! :lmao:

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]We made an effort to get guys that played together and won titles together.  We combined the swagger of a Manchester United midfield with the steely pragmatism of a German defense.  Oh yeah, and Marco Van Basten.  Here goes:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Stadium - Old Trafford[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Theatre of Dreams is widely considered one of the most difficult places for opposing teams to play in all of sports.  Keep in mind that 6 of the players we drafted call Old Trafford home. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Manager - Sir Matt Busby[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Legend. Rebuilt Manchester United after the Munich Air Disaster. Through all the adversity he coached United to 13 league titles in his 25 years with the club, including The European Cup in ‘68 (the 1st English side to do so). Busby established the United way of play:  Uncompromising, attacking football focused on strong wing play. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]"All those lads you see going to the factory in Trafford Park, they come to watch you on Saturday.  They have boring jobs, so you have to give them something they will enjoy.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]I’ll also note that two of our draftees, Duncan Edwards and George Best, played under Busby.[/SIZE]

The Midfield

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]With a strategy that focuses on wing play, we have two of the greatest wingers of all time in [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]George Best[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (who Pele once called the greatest player in the world) and [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Ryan Giggs[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (the most decorated soccer player of all time and all time PL assist leader).   The most talented of our legends, Best will be called upon to produce his magic when we need it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]In between them, [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Paul Scholes[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (considered by many, including Guardiola, Henry, and Xavi to be the greatest midfielder of his generation) will provide the tempo, playmaking ability, and pinpoint passing for which he is renown.   [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Duncan Edwards [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px](cut down before his prime, but still managed 3rd in Ballon D’Or voting in 1957) will provide physical presence, ball winning, and intelligent distribution.  How great was Duncan? Sir Bobby Charlton called him the only player to make him feel inferior.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]In front of them, the talisman: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Eric Cantona[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (boasting the second best assist to game ratio in PL history).  Cantona will play just behind Van Basten, linking play and creating goals like only he can (and scoring them as well, of course).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Sir Alex Ferguson identified Giggs, Scholes, and Cantona as three of the four World Class players or “difference makers” that played under him. They formed the heart and soul of a team that put together an unprecedented run in sports history. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Oh yeah, almost 700 goals between the five of them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Giggs FA Cup[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quI_LkMj4HI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Giggs volley v West Ham[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDjjulu8gW8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Paul Scholes volley v Villa (assist by Giggs)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xTaGaFfkmM[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Scholes volley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnQVqc-ypQw[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Scholes Eye of the Tiger[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHVAHFwPCEQ[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Duncan Edwards v Scotland[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXtSjDVu0Qw[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Best '68  final[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBPGxE62sR0[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Best NASL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wGN5uDaVg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Best v Banks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1666048/amazing-george-best-goal-o.gif[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Cantona chip[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxinAWaiiI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Cantona volley v Wimbledon[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57haaGAZadU[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Cantona v Liverpool[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7weXwPQ6M[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Off the bench we have [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Raymond Kopa [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px](Ballon d’Or winning playmaker)[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px], Dunga[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (marshalling Defensive Mid)[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px],[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] and [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Helmut Rahn [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px](Der Boss - a top ten winger of all time).  All legends in their own right.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Der Boss World Cup Winner[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFArv3ul0zE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Defense[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The German National Teams of of the late 60s and 70s will go down in history as some of the greatest of all time, particularly for their defense.  As with our midfield, we wanted guys that had played together, that were part of the same team. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (known as Der Kaiser’s Bodyguard, part of the Bayern Munich Hall of Fame) was a staple throughout much of this golden era, in the squad with [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Karl Heinz Schnellinger [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px](who once placed 3rd in Ballon d’Or voting) in the early 70s, and with [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Manfred Kaltz [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px](one word: bananenflanken) later in his career.  While there was no way to get Beckenbauer, we got Version 2.0 in [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Matthias Sammer[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (one of only 3 defensive players all time to receive the Ballon d’Or).  Sammer could play as sweeper in a back 5, but won the Ballon d’Or playing in a back 4 at Dortmund.  We’ll set up with a back 4 with him alongside Schwarzenbeck, a quintessential stopper.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]If we need to lock things down and move to a back 5, our defensive sub [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Willi Schulz[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] also played with Die Mannschaft.  He was preferred alongside Schnellinger in the late 60s while Beckenbauer was pushed further up the pitch.  These guys are all legends individually (google “Best German defender of all time” and all their names will pop up), but collectively they form something even greater.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Keeper[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Good luck finding a list of the greatest goalkeepers of all time that does not have [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Peter Shilton[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] in the top ten.  Go ahead, look. So good the guy played for 30 years.  Yes, 30 years.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Striker[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Last but not least, we have one of the greatest pure strikers of all time.  [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Marco Van Basten[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (one of only three players to win the Ballon d’Or three times) will lead the line and bang in goals.  [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]In 1999, Van Basten was ranked sixth in the [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]FIFA Player of the Century[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] internet poll, tenth in the European player of the Century election held by the [/SIZE]IFFHS,[SIZE=14.666666666666666px] and 12th in the IFFHS' [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]World Player of the Century[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] election.  Had Best not fallen into our lap, he would have been our first rounder, and a worthy one at that.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Van Basten v Commies[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0U3pT-icnk[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Van Basten Bicycle[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTj1E0kxtmg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Van Basten Chip[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=araxAEM_b88[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Van Basten Chip2[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9vZP-Dx9Q0[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Backing him up: [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Gabriel Batistuta[/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px] (Argentina’s all time leading scorer). A top ten striker of all time, he’d start for almost every other team in this thing and will definitely see some game time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Batistuta v United[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKyCVUJTTug[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Batistuta chest/volley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXWDFYzZCnQ[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Batistuta volley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnpdHeku41s[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The Lineup:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=sy3q9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]https://i.imgur.com/PoVAsn9.gif[/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread