What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (6 Viewers)

fruity pebbles

Footballguy
I know not a shocking statement given the price of everything but restaurants in particular have hit a breaking point for me. I’m not taking the kids out nearly s much as I used to and I don’t enjoy going out as much as I used to either because of the feeling I’m being ripped off. I'm not in NYC or SF. I live in a foodie type town of around 100,000 people.

1. A good friend of mine and I used to go out every other week to a variety of nice restaurants. We would get a couple appetizers to split, a main course and each a cocktail. No dessert. Bill would be about $100 plus tip. This was two years ago. Now……..it’s impossible to get out of the same type of restaurants without dropping $150 plus tip. Bill is larger so the tip is larger as well so $120 to $180 in the course of two years.
2. Also every new restaurant is small plate tapas. Each tapa is the price of what entrees used to be but three or four bites each plate. We are typically informed that each of us will need to order a minimum of three tapas apiece to make a meal.
3. when did the minimum price of a cocktail become $15. I’m not talking about anything fancy here.
4. took my two kids to Elevation burger for lunch the other day. i got an elevation burger with no fries just the burger, the two kids each got a two piece chicken tender meal with fries. I got a fountain soda and they split a milkshake. Price……..$70. I mean WTF

4. took my two kids to Elevation burger for lunch the other day. i got an elevation burger with no fries just the burger, the two kids each got a two piece chicken tender meal with fries. I got a fountain soda and they split a milkshake. Price……..$70. I mean WTF
"What is the story behind the Elevation Burger?

The idea behind Elevation Burger came from necessity. A family on a budget was looking for healthy, organic options for their fast food cravings. When they couldn't find it, they bet on themselves to make a better burger, and made a business of it."

Lol

Timeline sounds about right. After the pandemic, prices really soared. Cocktails have steadily increased the past 20 years especially with the whole mixology thing spreading like wildfire. $15-20 drinks used to reserved for NYC and London but now that's everywhere. I don't get the burger inflation though. A new local fast food burger place opened by me in Houston and it's $17 for a basic cheeseburger smash and fries :mad:

Being in the industry, i can say during and since the pandemic foodservice workers are fewer and fewer. My company does a three year salary evaluatoin versus the market and my whole staff received a large raise last fall. Cooks that were making $14 an hour are now 17-18. Experienced qualified help are finally being paid a somewhat livable wage and the consequence is higher menu prices. Coupled with the increase in food prices, some as high as 50% or more it's no surprise prices are what they are. Restaurants, clubs and other venues have to pay more than the fast food places and for some reason those jobs are now seen as long term employment instead of as a stepping stone to a more skilled, higher paying job. Not sure how it's going to shake out but it seems unsustainable as currently constructed. Glad I am at a non profit and nearing retirement.

Timeline sounds about right. After the pandemic, prices really soared. Cocktails have steadily increased the past 20 years especially with the whole mixology thing spreading like wildfire. $15-20 drinks used to reserved for NYC and London but now that's everywhere. I don't get the burger inflation though. A new local fast food burger place opened by me in Houston and it's $17 for a basic cheeseburger smash and fries :mad:

Wife and I went to our favorite local place the other day. Real old school place and kind of amazing it's still thriving. Besides being delicious, it's across the street from the Bay, we always have a nice walk along the marina front boardwalk afterwards. I don't know if I just haven't been paying attention but as a tapped in I was thinking to myself "she must have wrung something up twice, no way $35 is right" - but alas, that is in fact the new normal.

edit - before you say "yeah but you're in NYC" just remember I'm in the affordable part of town lol

I think all businesses have increased their prices with inflation, but we probably notice it more with restaurants because that's a big part of our lives. Admittedly, because of the price of meals, I probably don't tip as well I used to, and have cut back on tipping when picking up food (like I used to during COVID when I felt for the businesses that were struggling).

Trill?

There is a Japanese restaurant here where soup and tea is free. We can get a couple katsu dons, an appetizer, and with the free soup be out the door for 40 dollars for our family of 4.

The food is good too.

The only downside is how crowded it gets. You have to be there by 11:15 for lunch or you aren't getting a table.

Sometimes you just have to look around at different restaurant options, although that is easier in a large city.

@Major look at those menu prices. Katsu don is what I recommend.

What part of Houston do you live in?

Last edited:
Being in the industry, i can say during and since the pandemic foodservice workers are fewer and fewer. My company does a three year salary evaluatoin versus the market and my whole staff received a large raise last fall. Cooks that were making $14 an hour are now 17-18. Experienced qualified help are finally being paid a somewhat livable wage and the consequence is higher menu prices. Coupled with the increase in food prices, some as high as 50% or more it's no surprise prices are what they are. Restaurants, clubs and other venues have to pay more than the fast food places and for some reason those jobs are now seen as long term employment instead of as a stepping stone to a more skilled, higher paying job. Not sure how it's going to shake out but it seems unsustainable as currently constructed. Glad I am at a non profit and nearing retirement.

I am a Sales Rep for a Wine & Liquor Distributor and call on restaurants...you are dead-on...these establishments have been getting whacked relentlessly...the price of the products they order has skyrocketed (some astronomically as you point out...and without warning) and stuff like an increase to minimum wages and/or having to pay workers more or insurance has done a number on them and none of it can be seen as an investment that helps their bottom-line because it hasn't...if you have not been in the restaurant business it is not what it appears to be from the outside...just so many moving parts...I fully understand those who are not happy with the current prices because they are correct but I can say without a doubt as far as my customers are concerned that they are just trying to survive and are not gouging...now I do have a territory in the suburbs where it is not the same as city where the restaurant culture is different as far as the pricing structure goes (i.e. you aren't getting any breaks in the city and IMO it isn't any better).

I think all businesses have increased their prices with inflation, but we probably notice it more with restaurants because that's a big part of our lives. Admittedly, because of the price of meals, I probably don't tip as well I used to, and have cut back on tipping when picking up food (like I used to during COVID when I felt for the businesses that were struggling).

I know we have a bazillion tipping culture threads but I'm way down on tipping at the counter. Used to routinely drop 10-15% in the jar - when I used to carry cash. The whole suggested tip buttons with a low of 18% just makes me automatically opt for "hmm 0% seems about right" when I tap in. I do not feel guilty, just not my problem to solve.

It's intesting.

My local BBQ guy now is at $32 a pound for BBQ brisket. That's shocking for lots of people.

But knowing what I know about prices and effort required, that's a bargain for the customer.

On the other hand, the bar charging $15 for an Old Fashioned made with well bourbon or the guy charging $25 for the artisanal pizza is making a sweet profit margin.

It's all about the margins. Most restaurant were operating with tight ones in 2019. You all are hitting on the right points since then, but whiplash in pricing is because of their starting point otherwise this would have rolled out slower. The industry is not in a position to absorb such an impact all at once though. Or at least all but the biggest boys.

We spend more at restaurants than our budget says we should, but we also make a point to go to (almost) only local joints and my wife and I are lunch packers. Now that the kids tastes have evolved we tell them to order something they wouldn't make at home. I'd rather pay $17 for a specialty burger and sweet potato fries or onion rings than $12 for chicken tenders and regular fries. We just don't go out as frequently as we would have pre covid.

I know not a shocking statement given the price of everything but restaurants in particular have hit a breaking point for me. I’m not taking the kids out nearly s much as I used to and I don’t enjoy going out as much as I used to either because of the feeling I’m being ripped off. I'm not in NYC or SF. I live in a foodie type town of around 100,000 people.

1. A good friend of mine and I used to go out every other week to a variety of nice restaurants. We would get a couple appetizers to split, a main course and each a cocktail. No dessert. Bill would be about $100 plus tip. This was two years ago. Now……..it’s impossible to get out of the same type of restaurants without dropping $150 plus tip. Bill is larger so the tip is larger as well so $120 to $180 in the course of two years.
2. Also every new restaurant is small plate tapas. Each tapa is the price of what entrees used to be but three or four bites each plate. We are typically informed that each of us will need to order a minimum of three tapas apiece to make a meal.
3. when did the minimum price of a cocktail become $15. I’m not talking about anything fancy here.
I’m with you 100% on this. I know we go out to eat more than we should already but we’re making a more concerted effort to make dinner at home. When prices were normal it wasn’t that bad but it’s way more than it was. Ordering a pizza, 12 wings and garlic knots is $50 if you aren’t getting Dominos.

Wife & I used to eat out a good bit. Nothing fancy like y'all but Chipotle/Moe's type stuff just to grab a quick dinner. Used to be we could get out of Moe's for around $20+tip. Now it's $30+tip. We don't eat out nearly as much as before. Five Guys is now a treat, for the two of us we're pushing $40/$50 depending on how crazy we get.

Noticed this as well. Also noticed the huge signs outside KFC, Chipotle and others saying they are hiring at $16/hr. Then you walk in and see 6 people working and understand they can’t charge $5 for something anymore. I can still get my go-to lunch at chipotle (2 tacos, kids chips) for under $8 but Quiznos or Five Guys is pushing $15 now.

Most of the local grocery salad and hot bars are $11 to $12 a pound. On a per ounce basis most restaurants are cheaper than that.

Best deal I've seen for a quick meal is Fresh Market on Sunday. Rotiserie chicken, two pint sides, and cornbread for $15.

It's intesting.

My local BBQ guy now is at $32 a pound for BBQ brisket. That's shocking for lots of people.

But knowing what I know about prices and effort required, that's a bargain for the customer.

On the other hand, the bar charging $15 for an Old Fashioned made with well bourbon or the guy charging $25 for the artisanal pizza is making a sweet profit margin.
Yup, understandable but still shocking. I'm in the minority "BBQ is over rated camp" as I can find a decent steak on sale and for a third on that price. While I like brisket, the prep work just doesn't yield the return in taste.

My son and I got some Chili's for lunch and it came to like $75 with tip. Kinda crazy imo. Especially surprising because I only got wings and a side salad.

I am a Sales Rep for a Wine & Liquor Distributor and call on restaurants...you are dead-on...these establishments have been getting whacked relentlessly...the price of the products they order has skyrocketed (some astronomically as you point out...and without warning) and stuff like an increase to minimum wages and/or having to pay workers more or insurance has done a number on them and none of it can be seen as an investment that helps their bottom-line because it hasn't...if you have not been in the restaurant business it is not what it appears to be from the outside...just so many moving parts...I fully understand those who are not happy with the current prices because they are correct but I can say without a doubt as far as my customers are concerned that they are just trying to survive and are not gouging...now I do have a territory in the suburbs where it is not the same as city where the restaurant culture is different as far as the pricing structure goes (i.e. you aren't getting any breaks in the city and IMO it isn't any better).

It's all about the margins. Most restaurant were operating with tight ones in 2019. You all are hitting on the right points since then, but whiplash in pricing is because of their starting point otherwise this would have rolled out slower. The industry is not in a position to absorb such an impact all at once though. Or at least all but the biggest boys.

We spend more at restaurants than our budget says we should, but we also make a point to go to (almost) only local joints and my wife and I are lunch packers. Now that the kids tastes have evolved we tell them to order something they wouldn't make at home. I'd rather pay $17 for a specialty burger and sweet potato fries or onion rings than $12 for chicken tenders and regular fries. We just don't go out as frequently as we would have pre covid.

yep... as a consultant in F&B, i see scarcity of product and labor force, shortages from distributors, and labor issues with distributors (warehouse and transportation issues) all have increase the prime cost to businesses. such a low profit margin for the industry.

This is all spot on - at some point it will come crashing down. The average Joe just can't keep this going forever.
Will it though? Or is pricing just finally getting to where it needs to be to pay somebody a living wage that works in the food service industry? If you want to bump minimum wage for these jobs to offer something respectable, the cost of product has to rise to cover that. I think we are seeing a leveling that may dip some but I wouldn't anticipate it crashing any time soon.

This is all spot on - at some point it will come crashing down. The average Joe just can't keep this going forever.
Will it though? Or is pricing just finally getting to where it needs to be to pay somebody a living wage that works in the food service industry? If you want to bump minimum wage for these jobs to offer something respectable, the cost of product has to rise to cover that. I think we are seeing a leveling that may dip some but I wouldn't anticipate it crashing any time soon.

When did restaurant jobs and fast food jobs become a career or a way to raise a family?

Those jobs should be for kids, elderly, and people looking to work part time.

Not to hijack - @beer 30 and yes, food service they ought to pay a living wage.. but if that starts to price out the ability of people to be able to enjoy that service, or rack up debt to do so, or forego other items, won't that make the restaurant business even more difficult?

When did restaurant jobs and fast food jobs become a career or a way to raise a family?

the restaurant/consumer culture will have to change or adjust. I do not forecast any major decreases in food costs, but it has leveled from the steep increases they have seen. What is not sustainable for consumers is the cost past along from food cost and labor AND the higher tip that accompanies those increases.

@STEADYMOBBIN 22 It can be a career, contingent upon the tier of restaurant.

Not to hijack - @beer 30 and yes, food service they ought to pay a living wage.. but if that starts to price out the ability of people to be able to enjoy that service, or rack up debt to do so, or forego other items, won't that make the restaurant business even more difficult?
Very easy to get sideways on this and we're heading toward subject matter that is frowned upon in this forum so I'll leave it be. I agree with all above and don't have a solution. It creates a vicious circle that is hard to get out of.

Very easy to get sideways on this and we're heading toward subject matter that is frowned upon in this forum so I'll leave it be. I agree with all above and don't have a solution. It creates a vicious circle that is hard to get out of.

as I do not post often, can this be mentioned so that I can avoid going down this path?

Yeah, I’m anticipating some pain in the restaurant industry soon. My area is still pretty busy but I think it’s going to be a long winter for a lot of these places. Tourists gone, student loan payments starting again and fewer locals already going out to eat due to cost. When the bill is pushing $200 now, you need to be hot right out of the gate. I used to give restaurants a couple chances but not anymore. A poor meal or rude service and the place is probably dead to me forever.

as I do not post often, can this be mentioned so that I can avoid going down this path?

We can’t talk politics.

Our family of four used to go out to eat about 3-5 times per month. Never fancy places -- the kind of places where the four of us could get out for under $60 after tipping (and even a few gems that were ~$40-45 after tip).

Currently, we are priced out of that level of restaurant-visiting frequency. We don't even make it out once a month as a family anymore -- it's just a now-and-then thing. That fits how my parents thought of restaurant dining when I was coming up in the 1970s and 1980s -- a once- or twice-a-year thing for us plebes, but really the province of the wealthy. Seems to me we're kind of back to that.

The casual-type restaurants that catered to (lower) middle-class families throughout the 2000s and 2010s probably can't make the ends meet anymore -- they can't price down to the levels need to keep a similar customer base that was their bread-and-butter for 20 years. And those places don't have the cache to price up and compete in the higher-end casual-dining space (and for sure not in fine dining).

Locally? For fast food? Well over 25 years ago. You don't see local high school kids work much fast food any more, and it's been that way a long time.

As for non-fast-food: Depends on the specific "restaurant jobs" you mean ... but in a tourism/dining city like New Orleans, there is a substantial class of career restaurant employees. Not just chefs, but high-end service staff, bartenders, kitchen managers and more. I'm sure the situation is the same in cities like NYC, LA, Miami, etc.

Just looking for confirmation of an observation, not a political statement:

Is it accurate to day that, say, fast-food wages are increasing much faster than traditional white-collar wages (your office drones, middle managers, desk jockeys, etc.)?

And the same for casual-restaurant wages also vs. white-collar wages? Especially when presented as a percent increase?

Will it though? Or is pricing just finally getting where it needs to be to pay somebody a living wage that works in the food service industry? If you want to bump minimum wage for these jobs to offer something respectable, the cost of product has to rise to cover that. I think we are seeing a leveling that may dip some but I wouldn't anticipate it crashing any time soon.

In general, I agree.

Although, I think that's more true of a chain. I really can't see how the math works with investors, big advertising budgets, and franchising fees. The only way I can imagine the math works is by underpaying employees and overcharging customers. Though, I'm ignorant on how they pull it off.

Local joints can though. They can adapt, and run with smaller crews. Instead of investors that need a cut, they've got an underpaid owner in there working all the time.

I'd think you'll notice locally-owned places haven't had such dramatic price increases, and the staff is typically better compensated. I hardly ever go out to eat, so I can't be sure of that either.

But our place is low on the food chain as it gets. Ugly, ugly building in a non-affluent area. You can easily eat a full meal for $7-8 with tax included (still have a couple at $5.50). But our staff makes roughly double what other restaurants pay (even after they've recently come up).

Although, i've almost forgotten what working is like. We've been closed the last two weeks because said "staff" (meaning the only other person that works there full-time) broke her wrist.
I think we're finally ready to get up and rolling Monday with her on limited duty while she heals.

Locally? For fast food? Well over 25 years ago. You don't see local high school kids work much fast food any more, and it's been that way a long time.

As for non-fast-food: Depends on the specific "restaurant jobs" you mean ... but in a tourism/dining city like New Orleans, there is a substantial class of career restaurant employees. Not just chefs, but high-end service staff, bartenders, kitchen managers and more. I'm sure the situation is the same in cities like NYC, LA, Miami, etc.

Well, over 25 years ago, people considered fast food, or being a dishwasher as a career? I don’t think so.

High end restaurants pay well, well above a living wage. That’s the tip of that career path and what all servers/bartenders and so forth should strive to get.

NOBODY ever should consider working the window at McDonald’s or selling shoes at footlocker as a career.

Yeah started cooking more at home for sure.
Wild its 15 bucks for burgers and fries almost everywhere
Decent hamburger at Kroger is $9 / lb.

Somehow Costco still at $3.99!
Costco is very smart about their pricing. They've decided to avoid raising their pizza and hot dog prices at the fast food kiosk up front - and they're pretty good, too.

Last edited:
Will it though? Or is pricing just finally getting where it needs to be to pay somebody a living wage that works in the food service industry? If you want to bump minimum wage for these jobs to offer something respectable, the cost of product has to rise to cover that. I think we are seeing a leveling that may dip some but I wouldn't anticipate it crashing any time soon.

In general, I agree.

Although, I think that's more true of a chain. I really can't see how the math works with investors, big advertising budgets, and franchising fees. The only way I can imagine the math works is by underpaying employees and overcharging customers. Though, I'm ignorant on how they pull it off.

Local joints can though. They can adapt, and run with smaller crews. Instead of investors that need a cut, they've got an underpaid owner in there working all the time.

I'd think you'll notice locally-owned places haven't had such dramatic price increases, and the staff is typically better compensated. I hardly ever go out to eat, so I can't be sure of that either.

But our place is low on the food chain as it gets. Ugly, ugly building in a non-affluent area. You can easily eat a full meal for $7-8 with tax included (still have a couple at $5.50). But our staff makes roughly double what other restaurants pay (even after they've recently come up).

Although, i've almost forgotten what working is like. We've been closed the last two weeks because said "staff" (meaning the only other person that works there full-time) broke her wrist.
I think we're finally ready to get up and rolling Monday with her on limited duty while she heals.

Agree on all counts. The franchises are paying the executives and pinching on the labor.

I worry that the smaller restaurants which have slightly more manageable overhead and care/pay their workers are going to get squeezed by the ever increasing minimum wage.

Back when I worked at McDonalds in HS, maybe 75% of the payroll was part-timers - but the career folks who would be there day in and day out to open on school days, work the hours nobody else wanted, etc. were obviously a key part of the store's success. Pretty much every restaurant needs SOME core of full time workers to keep things running. I don't think it's the case that people only recently began relying on these jobs for a living.

Well, over 25 years ago, people considered fast food, or being a dishwasher as a career? I don’t think so.

Regarding fast food, I was thinking more of the "a way to raise a family" part than "a career" part. You might be surprised at the amount of hustling and grinding is done in the blurry area between the lower middle-class and poverty.

In the 80s, when worked fast food as a teen, our store manager had a professional occupation. Not exactly sure of his compensation package, but he had a house, car, wife and kids, and so forth. He wasn't a guy that had started on grill six months prior. 35 years ago ... yes, you could work in customer-facing fast-food (more or less) and be working your career.

But yeah, THAT kind of fast-food career has probably gone away. It's just different now.

Trill?

Yep. At those prices, I'm going to old faithful (Becks Prime).

I think we’re way too deep in the weeds on this, all I’m saying is, there’s no scenario in which working a low skilled profession earns you a career living wage.

That’s not exactly crazy talk.

My son and I got some Chili's for lunch and it came to like $75 with tip. Kinda crazy imo. Especially surprising because I only got wings and a side salad.
Wings have become crazy expensive. Last summer in the Madera Beach area of Florida,about half the restaurants listed "market price" for their wings. My local hangout prices went from $8 for 12 to $12 for 8. Used to go to several places a month just to try their wings but now I'm priced out. I'll still try wings at a smoke house but at least those are whole wings and not frozen and then nuked or deep fried.

Pretty much every restaurant needs SOME core of full time workers to keep things running.

Tell you what though: I don't know for a fact, as I don't have a behind-the-scenes view into any one place any more. But I see evidence that at least one of our local fast-food places (major national chain) ... the franchisee has basically thrown in the towel and does not, in fact, have any full-time staff currently.

Place is still usually open during normal hours. I say 'usually' because sometimes you go through the drive-through during their advertised 'open' hours and there isn't a soul visible in the back. I don't mean they closed up and left a half-hour early -- I mean during the dinner rush. Still daylight outside.

Other times you go, and it looks at first like it's open and operating normally. Then when you pull up and look in through the window, you see two people just grinding out the shift. Place is supposed to have five or six working dinner rush and normally did a few years ago. They wave almost every car forward to keep their drive-through metrics looking right. But with two doing the work of five, it's not running like normal. These employees, naturally, burn out quickly.

I thought of an exception to the "no high school kids" at our local fast-food places: Chik-Fil-A is still staffed with almost all kids, and one or two adult managers. Looks a lot like 1980s fast-food staffing that I was familiar with growing up.

Last edited:
Wings have become crazy expensive. Last summer in the Madera Beach area of Florida,about half the restaurants listed "market price" for their wings. My local hangout prices went from $8 for 12 to $12 for 8. Used to go to several places a month just to try their wings but now I'm priced out. I'll still try wings at a smoke house but at least those are whole wings and not frozen and then nuked or deep fried.

Avian flu is still reeking havoc on our poultry industry.

Tell you what though: I don't know for a fact, as I don't have a behind-the-scenes view into any one place any more. But I see evidence that at least one of our local fast-food places (major national chain) ... the franchisee has basically thrown in the towel and does not, in fact, have any full-time staff currently.

Place is still usually open during normal hours. I say 'usually' because sometimes you go through the drive-through during their advertised 'open' hours and there isn't a soul visible in the back. I don't mean they closed up and left a half-hour early -- I mean during the dinner rush. Still daylight outside.

Other times you go, and it looks at first like it's open and operating normally. Then when you pull up and look in through the window, you see two people just grinding out the shift. Place is supposed to have five or six working dinner rush and normally did a few years ago. They wave almost every car forward to keep their drive-through metrics looking right. But with two during the work of five, it's not running like normal. These employees, naturally, burn out quickly.
This happened to the Burger King in my town. It closed down a couple of months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread