What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (1 Viewer)

I completely lack the ability to make one, and they are doubtless more effective than anything I would come up with in a similar situation, but the Gilligan’s Island meets the Flintstones carved fishing reels always crack me up.

It’s 50/50 if I would burn down the whole beach trying to preserve my catch though.

Well, at least it isn't just us couch surfers who would have the same issue.
The entire time the old lady was talking about taking down a moose I was thinking "How the heck is she going to harvest it, carry it back to camp, preserve it, and store it where the bears won't get to it."
Alaska guy had a nice cabin, too bad he ran himself dead making it.

One nitpick.. They show us the contestants struggling to catch fish then just haphazardly throw out a caption that the guy has caught 11. Seems they wanted to downplay his success, and not sure why. :shrug:

One nitpick.. They show us the contestants struggling to catch fish then just haphazardly throw out a caption that the guy has caught 11. Seems they wanted to downplay his success, and not sure why. :shrug:
They did that with Roland too, to make it look competitive when it never was. He’s probably the winner.
Roland is probably still there.

They did that with Roland too, to make it look competitive when it never was. He’s probably the winner.
Roland is probably still there.
Roland was actually the moose the old lady saw swimming. He killed it and was wearing the pelt.

If somebody wants to bring like beef jerky as one of their 10 items, how much can they bring? If you can carry on a pound or two it seems like the play would be to snack on that while immediately getting your cabin built then go hunting.

I imagine that’s not the case though as nobody does it.

If somebody wants to bring like beef jerky as one of their 10 items, how much can they bring? If you can carry on a pound or two it seems like the play would be to snack on that while immediately getting your cabin built then go hunting.

Here is the list of things they can bring, including what type and quantity of food:

While they haven't mentioned it this season, they have shown people in previous seasons who did bring food from the list for just the reason you stated - So they can focus on getting their camp in order before worrying about food.

After watching the first couple episodes this season, I think the food strategy should be: fish early, while the water isn’t frozen. Supplement with ground kill from snares. Preserve arrows for big game, whenever it comes. Don’t waste arrows on grouse. And build a simple shelter, while you prioritize finding calories early.

How awesome are the Martens? They are almost like cartoon characters running in and stealing **** with nobody around.

Also, it's pretty cool that the lake has Otters, wasn't sure if they were that far north.

I know there is no shortage of black bears in that part of the world but I don't really want to see one shot. Supper happy that dude missed the mama bear with the cub...that would have pissed me off.

Just got caught up on the last episode.

Too bad for the diarrhea dude. He had lots of fish, good shelter and the skills to do well. Stupid to drink the water without boiling it.

The Brazilian dude has awful luck or maybe dumb decisions.

The Canadian dude that left his fish out seems to have good skills but has done some stupid stuff.

Cabin girl proved that the mind is one of your biggest enemies. She wasn’t as busy after completing her cabin and she convinced herself to tap out .

Too bad for the diarrhea dude. He had lots of fish, good shelter and the skills to do well. Stupid to drink the water without boiling it.

The Brazilian dude has awful luck or maybe dumb decisions.

The Canadian dude that left his fish out seems to have good skills but has done some stupid stuff.

Cabin girl proved that the mind is one of your biggest enemies. She wasn’t as busy after completing her cabin and she convinced herself to tap out .
Amen. Multiple contestants have succumbed to Giardia.

Yeah I didn't understand that at all. "I'm the son of a famous survivalist. I've felt pressure my whole life to prove my ability. I'm going to do the dumbest thing you can do that's also the easiest mistake to avoid and would only take 10 minutes to guard against."

Did he think the water must not have bacteria in it if it just looks 'pretty clear'? Did his dad never explain how small microbes are?

Yeah I didn't understand that at all. "I'm the son of a famous survivalist. I've felt pressure my whole life to prove my ability. I'm going to do the dumbest thing you can do that's also the easiest mistake to avoid and would only take 10 minutes to guard against."

Did he think the water must not have bacteria in it if it just looks 'pretty clear'? Did his dad never explain how small microbes are?
Was this the guy who caught like 11 fish one day?

I think somebody else in the last season or 2 chose to not boil the water either... And was fine. Explained the time and energy for collecting wood, keeping the fire going and schlepping the water to the fire wasn't worth it... But also has a long history ingesting un-boiled water prior to the show. At least, that's what I remember.

Was this the guy who caught like 11 fish one day?
A day... An HOUR. He was like Ernie in that boat with Bert.

Has a full fledged cabin build ever won? Seems like those people burn all their energy building a cabin while the winners are eating food.

Roland built a house, out of rocks, with meat storage.

yeah, not a log cabin though
I thought your point was that those people used up all their energy building shelter while others were eating. If that's your point why does the material used for the shelter matter?

I thought your point was that those people used up all their energy building shelter while others were eating. If that's your point why does the material used for the shelter matter?

My guess is that log cabin builders burn more time and calories than Roland did.

I think somebody else in the last season or 2 chose to not boil the water either... And was fine. Explained the time and energy for collecting wood, keeping the fire going and schlepping the water to the fire wasn't worth it... But also has a long history ingesting un-boiled water prior to the show. At least, that's what I remember.
There was a guy from Central or South America in a previous season that said he never boiled water all of his life. He did fine but he was probably drinking cleaner water than he grew up on.

There was a guy from Central or South America in a previous season that said he never boiled water all of his life. He did fine but he was probably drinking cleaner water than he grew up on.
Well that guy wound up winning Season 9, so I can understand why someone might try this. I was starting to like Hawaii guy, so bummed that he got the stomach bug.

Well that guy wound up winning Season 9, so I can understand why someone might try this. I was starting to like Hawaii guy, so bummed that he got the stomach bug.
I like most of these folk, but agree... Was really liking his approach and demeanor.

Way back when they did two person teams the married couple built a really awesome log cabin and I thought for sure they would last a long time. But then they didn't.

Just found this show. Binged watched season 7 over the long weekend. Pretty interesting. It was pretty obvious barring injury Roland was gonna win. Only question was was anyone else gonna make it the 100 days.

Starting to watch current season now. Good luck to the Hawaii guy roughing it out there 👍

Last edited:
Mikey caught himself a 'rat' 🤣 I'm really surprised he's still there

Was gonna post Cade looks terrible shortly before he passed out. He didn't look healthy at all. Losing arrows off the bat has to be absolutely demoralizing.

Alan losing 34 pounds in 18 days is insane.

Old folks went too hard off the bat on their shelters.

Shark move is to make an edible belt and wear it there. Maybe a jerky belt.
A guy on naked and afraid ate a bunch of tomato seeds before he left for the show and then pooped them out and planted them. unfortunately all he had were leaves by the time he had to leave. he ate the leaves but probably not what he was hoping to have to eat.

A guy on naked and afraid ate a bunch of tomato seeds before he left for the show and then pooped them out and planted them. unfortunately all he had were leaves by the time he had to leave. he ate the leaves but probably not what he was hoping to have to eat.
That’s like a 21 day challenge, right? If so, what was he thinking he could get in 21 days or so?

That’s like a 21 day challenge, right? If so, what was he thinking he could get in 21 days or so?
He was on a longer challenge. Naked and Afraid will do challenges with a bigger group or multiple groups later joining together for up to 60 days.

Here is the list of things they can bring, including what type and quantity of food:

While they haven't mentioned it this season, they have shown people in previous seasons who did bring food from the list for just the reason you stated - So they can focus on getting their camp in order before worrying about food.

Would love to see someone bring the comb as one of his 10 items just to mess with the others.

For the food, 2 pounds of jerky is probably good if you’re going to bring food but I’d bet a pound of tallow is probably smarter.

Would love to see someone bring the comb as one of his 10 items just to mess with the others.

For the food, 2 pounds of jerky is probably good if you’re going to bring food but I’d bet a pound of tallow is probably smarter.
The tallow has more calories, the jerky has salt.

UPDATE: BOO! I switched to YouTube TV a little while ago and they do not have the History channel :hot:
Same. Damn. Oh well.

UPDATE: BOO! I switched to YouTube TV a little while ago and they do not have the History channel :hot:
Yea we just pay for it on Apple TV. Like 20 bucks. Figure it’s the cost of going to a movie.

My wife told me there was a new season on Netflix! Can't wait to binge it!
I discovered that the current season is available on the History Channel website. Each episode is available the day after it's first aired.

Still don’t understand why contestants even bother with small game. The caloric output doesn’t support caloric intake. Taz not even shown so guessing he is living large.

Still don’t understand why contestants even bother with small game. The caloric output doesn’t support caloric intake. Taz not even shown so guessing he is living large.
Is that the guy who had all the fish? Yea he’s the winner if they aren’t showing him now.

Users who are viewing this thread