What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazing stat... (1 Viewer)

'Run It Up said:
"How hard is it?" Well since no one has had a similar amount of production/time as Welker has had in the past 5 years - ever, id say its approximately really hard.Comparing him (as has been done in this thread) to a player that doesnt play his role and is arguably the best player to ever play the game (Jerry Rice), is a testament to his on field accomplishments.
I also compared him to three players who are not Jerry Rice, who have had more production than Welker in the past 5 years.

'Carolina Hustler said:
'Run It Up said:
"How hard is it?" Well since no one has had a similar amount of production/time as Welker has had in the past 5 years - ever, id say its approximately really hard.

Comparing him (as has been done in this thread) to a player that doesnt play his role and is arguably the best player to ever play the game (Jerry Rice), is a testament to his on field accomplishments.
Please explain how you come to this conclusion..

Not only have there been WR's with similar production, but there have been WR's with better production..

And, he is no where near Jerry Rice.. Silly comparison..
Using profootballreference database, which I posted above.You can go back to your troll topics now.

I also compared him to three players who are not Jerry Rice, who have had more production than Welker in the past 5 years.
I wasnt saying, nor did I ever that Wes Welker is the best WR in the NFL now or in the passed 5 years, or ever.I said no one has matched his production, which is true. I prefaced my original post in this thread stating that people will count his lack of TDs against him, which is a reasonable argument, but I also referenced his production that I was referring to; Receptions and Yardage over a season, not over multiple seasons - no one has put up the numbers CONSISTENTLY like Welker has in these past 5 years, ever.

Im obviously not arguing that one player has more TDs or Yards then another, you can tell that simply by looking at their respective stats. Its cherry picking, intentionally and it was never disguised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said no one has matched his production, which is true. I prefaced my original post in this thread stating that people will count his lack of TDs against him, which is a reasonable argument, but I also referenced his production that I was referring to; Receptions and Yardage over a season, not over multiple seasons - no one has put up the numbers CONSISTENTLY like Welker has in these past 5 years, ever.
Yes, when you happen to choose numbers specifically designed to make Welker look good. (This is known as "multiple endpoints" in the Statistics as Lies world). If you choose more logical endpoints like 100 receptions and 1200 yards, you'll find Welker tied with 12 other guys for fifth place (2 qualifying seasons).

Yes, when you happen to choose numbers specifically designed to make Welker look good. (This is known as "multiple endpoints" in the Statistics as Lies world). If you choose more logical endpoints like 100 receptions and 1200 yards, you'll find Welker tied with 12 other guys for fifth place (2 qualifying seasons).
To illustrate this point, Jimmy Smith is the second-best receiver of all time if you're considering seasons of at least 70 receptions and 1023 yards. He has 9 of those, second only to Jerry Rice.

I said no one has matched his production, which is true. I prefaced my original post in this thread stating that people will count his lack of TDs against him, which is a reasonable argument, but I also referenced his production that I was referring to; Receptions and Yardage over a season, not over multiple seasons - no one has put up the numbers CONSISTENTLY like Welker has in these past 5 years, ever.
Lol, so if we throw out my meaningless endpoints for yours instead, 100 receptions (which occurs much more often than 110+ receptions) or 1200 receiving yards (which clearly snubs Welker for having two 1150+ yd seasons in those 5 years)If it makes you feel better, 110 Receptions and 1100 Receiving yards is the exact same list I posted + a few people here or there with 1 season.And if you include his average number of TDs a season (6) then he is tied for first with Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison and Jimmy Smith.If it was sortable by first downs or dropped passes it would paint Welker in an even better light.

Lol, so if we throw out my meaningless endpoints for yours instead, 100 receptions (which occurs much more often than 110+ receptions) or 1200 receiving yards (which clearly snubs Welker for having two 1150+ yd seasons in those 5 years)If it makes you feel better, 110 Receptions and 1100 Receiving yards is the exact same list I posted + a few people here or there with 1 season.And if you include his average number of TDs a season (6) then he is tied for first with Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Marvin Harrison and Jimmy Smith.
The point is, there is pretty much no rational measure which has Welker's last five years among the best in history. It is only by looking for endpoints which fit your conclusion that anything at all appears.I'm not sure where you're getting anything about "average number of TDs a season"; Rice had 197 in 21 years, 9.4/year. Plus 10 rushing TDs. In 1986-87 (2 years) Rice had 37 receiving TDs; Welker has scored 32 in his 8-year career.

The point is, there is pretty much no rational measure which has Welker's last five years among the best in history. It is only by looking for endpoints which fit your conclusion that anything at all appears.

I'm not sure where you're getting anything about "average number of TDs a season"; Rice had 197 in 21 years, 9.4/year. Plus 10 rushing TDs. In 1986-87 (2 years) Rice had 37 receiving TDs; Welker has scored 32 in his 8-year career.
The stats I keep referencing are for SINGLE seasons, Welker has averaged 6 TDs a season for the last 5 years (nothing impressive by itself), im saying that in the history of the NFL, 5 people have had two seasons (in their careers) with 110 Receptions, 1150 Receiving Yards and 6 TDs, the ones I listed.And again since I have to keep reiterating it because people keep quoting me and then putting words in my mouth, I never said anywhere that this was a better measure of a wide receiver or said that it was even a defining measure of a wide receiver, im inferring that Wes Welker is one of if not the best slot receiver in the history of the NFL. Consistency is the truest measure of talent and even though I admit a large portion of his success is the system he plays in, his numbers wouldnt be as impressive as they've been over such a large period if he wasnt that good.

LOL at Run It Up once again. That guy is either the king of fishing or just not very smart.
Insightful as always, as he contributes nothing to the thread.

The point is, there is pretty much no rational measure which has Welker's last five years among the best in history. It is only by looking for endpoints which fit your conclusion that anything at all appears.

I'm not sure where you're getting anything about "average number of TDs a season"; Rice had 197 in 21 years, 9.4/year. Plus 10 rushing TDs. In 1986-87 (2 years) Rice had 37 receiving TDs; Welker has scored 32 in his 8-year career.
The stats I keep referencing are for SINGLE seasons, Welker has averaged 6 TDs a season for the last 5 years (nothing impressive by itself), im saying that in the history of the NFL, 5 people have had two seasons (in their careers) with 110 Receptions, 1150 Receiving Yards and 6 TDs, the ones I listed.
Welker is 62nd on the list of people who've had at least 1150 yards and 6 TDs in a season. Welker's done it twice, the same as Eric Moulds, Steve Watson, and David Boston. Except the other guys had more TDs. And the people who are really good in this stat are Jerry Rice (12), Randy Moss (8), Torry Holt (7), and a bunch of other WRs who are recognized as all-time greats, unlike Welker.
And again since I have to keep reiterating it because people keep quoting me and then putting words in my mouth, I never said anywhere that this was a better measure of a wide receiver or said that it was even a defining measure of a wide receiver, im inferring that Wes Welker is one of if not the best slot receiver in the history of the NFL. Consistency is the truest measure of talent and even though I admit a large portion of his success is the system he plays in, his numbers wouldnt be as impressive as they've been over such a large period if he wasnt that good.
His numbers aren't very impressive. He gets a large number of short receptions on a huge number of targets, and turns them into a mediocre amount of yardage and not many TDs.

The stats I keep referencing are for SINGLE seasons, Welker has averaged 6 TDs a season for the last 5 years (nothing impressive by itself), im saying that in the history of the NFL, 5 people have had two seasons (in their careers) with 110 Receptions, 1150 Receiving Yards and 6 TDs, the ones I listed.
Welker is 62nd on the list of people who've had at least 1150 yards and 6 TDs in a season. Welker's done it twice, the same as Eric Moulds, Steve Watson, and David Boston. Except the other guys had more TDs. And the people who are really good in this stat are Jerry Rice (12), Randy Moss (8), Torry Holt (7), and a bunch of other WRs who are recognized as all-time greats, unlike Welker.
And again since I have to keep reiterating it because people keep quoting me and then putting words in my mouth, I never said anywhere that this was a better measure of a wide receiver or said that it was even a defining measure of a wide receiver, im inferring that Wes Welker is one of if not the best slot receiver in the history of the NFL. Consistency is the truest measure of talent and even though I admit a large portion of his success is the system he plays in, his numbers wouldnt be as impressive as they've been over such a large period if he wasnt that good.
His numbers aren't very impressive. He gets a large number of short receptions on a huge number of targets, and turns them into a mediocre amount of yardage and not many TDs.
Guess the debate is settled then, Slot Receivers are now just Wide Receivers that suck and can only play their role... the complete lack of distinction is ridiculous.

'Xue said:
'FUBAR said:
Welker is a compiler, not elite. How hard is it to catch 10-yard passes from an extremely accurate Tom Brady?
That would explain the countless other receivers that have played with Brady that put up big receiving totals from Brady over the years. If it's not that hard, certainly everyone else would be doing it. Come to think of it, then every other team would be doing it to, so there should be lots of other players with 500+ receptions over a 5 year period.I am not going to argue that Welker benefits from the system, talent, and coaching in NE. But Welker has been abused going across the middle over the years and still kept on ticking. And if, as you suggest, it is so easy to catch these 10-yard passes, then it should be equally easy to defend them . . . and that clearly hasn't been the case.
It's easy to defend when you don't have a Moss or Gronkowski/Hernandez on the same field, but defenses will give Welker those short completions all day because that's not what will beat them.Welker has a career YPR 11.1 of and YAC of 5.8. Do you know what means? On average, he catches the ball 5.3 yards from the line of scrimmage. Is that not pathetic?
Since he joined the Patriots he has ranked #8, #10, #2, #17, and #1 in first downs. I wouldn't call that pathetic. He has a role and plays that role well.
What % of his receptions were first downs? And how does that rank? He doesn't even crack the top 20. Neither does he crack % of targets for first down list.http://nationalpost....ge=NFL&rank=059

http://nationalpost....ge=NFL&rank=060

Now tell me again how good Welker is.
You're clearly a Patriots hater and can't get past that.Few if anyone here is claiming Welker to be among the elite WRs in the game today or in history. What is obvious to anyone who is open to the idea, is that he is very good at his role. His role is to move the ball 5-15 yards down the field, provide Brady an outlet, and move the chains. I'm not doing the math right now but I will guess that he's among the top 5 in first down receptions over the past 5 years. He has also led the league in receptions 3 of the past 5 years. He's good, real good. Not the best, and if we were to draft an NFL team today he probably wouldn't be among the top 10 WRs taken, but he should go top 20.

Of Wes Welker's 554 career receptions, just 11 have been thrown for 20 yards or more.Tom Brady and Welker have just 10 career completions on passes over 20 yards in the regular season, giving further support to New England's inability to stretch the field in the passing game. The Patriots are expected to franchise tag Welker this offseason, but his long-term status with the team remains to be seen. The Pats figure to make finding a true downfield threat a priority.
amazing.I know he caught a lot of short passes, but this blew me away.
like others said or implied, Welker is doing his job and doing it very well, quite efficiently. I don't in anyway think that Welker is the problem in the Pats offense, nor that they have a prob. We always nitpick Supe teams and I get that ritual, but the Pats(and Packers) prob was on defense. Surely you've seen the gaudy stats opponents gained posted here and all over the web. I'm of the opinion that the offense hit a point where you couldn't really ask more and it was time for the D to step up.

Welker is 62nd on the list of people who've had at least 1150 yards and 6 TDs in a season. Welker's done it twice, the same as Eric Moulds, Steve Watson, and David Boston. Except the other guys had more TDs. And the people who are really good in this stat are Jerry Rice (12), Randy Moss (8), Torry Holt (7), and a bunch of other WRs who are recognized as all-time greats, unlike Welker.His numbers aren't very impressive. He gets a large number of short receptions on a huge number of targets, and turns them into a mediocre amount of yardage and not many TDs.
:goodposting:If you're in a PPR league, or you're a Patriots fan, I could see being very impressed by his #'s.. Otherwise, he does a good job at what he does, and is certainly one of the best slot WR's currently, but not anything amassing.. Certainly not worthy of being compared to Jerry Rice..

Welker is 62nd on the list of people who've had at least 1150 yards and 6 TDs in a season. Welker's done it twice, the same as Eric Moulds, Steve Watson, and David Boston. Except the other guys had more TDs. And the people who are really good in this stat are Jerry Rice (12), Randy Moss (8), Torry Holt (7), and a bunch of other WRs who are recognized as all-time greats, unlike Welker.His numbers aren't very impressive. He gets a large number of short receptions on a huge number of targets, and turns them into a mediocre amount of yardage and not many TDs.
:goodposting:If you're in a PPR league, or you're a Patriots fan, I could see being very impressed by his #'s.. Otherwise, he does a good job at what he does, and is certainly one of the best slot WR's currently, but not anything amassing.. Certainly not worthy of being compared to Jerry Rice..
If he does this not anything amassing thing for another 5 years, which is not too hard for him to do then he's going to the HOF.

If he does this not anything amassing thing for another 5 years, which is not too hard for him to do then he's going to the HOF.
Good luck to him on that...

'Brothers Mayhem said:
Say what you will regarding Wes Welker - he does what they ask of him. They send him on short crossing routes and throw to him 10+ times a game and Welker just keeps catching them. If the O-line could consistently provide time in the pocket for Brady, we might see Welker catch 50 yarders too. But until then, they gonna need fast WR's that get down there quick - lol.
The Patriots have one of the best pass blocking lines in the NFL. :confused:

almost 2 full pages? daaaaaamn...

I was just shocked as hell that, even as a slot receiver, only 11 passes were thrown 20+yds.

On the surface a 20yd pass doesn't seem too out of the ordinary, especially for an elite (even if slot) receiver and QB combo.

'Brothers Mayhem said:
Say what you will regarding Wes Welker - he does what they ask of him. They send him on short crossing routes and throw to him 10+ times a game and Welker just keeps catching them. If the O-line could consistently provide time in the pocket for Brady, we might see Welker catch 50 yarders too. But until then, they gonna need fast WR's that get down there quick - lol.
Do they? His sack % is worse than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Eli, Hasselbeck, Brees, Orton, Palmer and Rivers.

Uh, no. Tim Brown is #4 in career yardage and has more TDs than Welker has any hope of having, and he's having trouble getting in (wasn't a finalist this year). Even if he makes 13,000 yards he'll be #14 on the list; that's more than 1100 yards a year until he's 35.

'Brothers Mayhem said:
I stand corrected sir - NE 2nd to GB with 8.6 passing yards per attempt (min 500 attempts) and were 4th in yards per reception....sounds like that Oline is doing a fine job. I must have been drinking too much last night :banned:

'Brothers Mayhem said:
Do they? His sack % is worse than Dalton, Fitzpatrick, Ryan, Eli, Hasselbeck, Brees, Orton, Palmer and Rivers.
Rivers, lol. He will throw a worm-raper the minute he sees any pressure. He wont stand in there and take a hit or prolong a play at all. He doesnt even care if he gets it beyond the line of scrimmage.

Uh, no. Tim Brown is #4 in career yardage and has more TDs than Welker has any hope of having, and he's having trouble getting in (wasn't a finalist this year). Even if he makes 13,000 yards he'll be #14 on the list; that's more than 1100 yards a year until he's 35.
So what?

Will be interesting to see if their young RB's can become productive should Lloyd land in NE - almost for certain his arrival will cut into Welker's and Gronk's targets you think ?

So what?
I agree.It is NOT the Hall of Stats.

So what?
I hate playing these games for any player, as there will always be scenarios and outcomes that can yield HOF worthy results. For example, if Welker plays 5 more years in NE and compiles the same numbers he did over the past 5 season in the next 5 season, he will end up with 1200-13000-60 for his career. Put him in two more Super Bowls and have the Pats win those and guess what . . . he's a HOFer.That being said, I don't expect any of that to happen, but if it did Welker would get a lot of HOF support as a player with 1,100 catches in a 10 yeear span and 4 time SB participant. In reality, I don't see him coming close to those career totals, nor do I see the Pats winning another 2 SBs in the next 5 years.

So what?
I hate playing these games for any player, as there will always be scenarios and outcomes that can yield HOF worthy results. For example, if Welker plays 5 more years in NE and compiles the same numbers he did over the past 5 season in the next 5 season, he will end up with 1200-13000-60 for his career. Put him in two more Super Bowls and have the Pats win those and guess what . . . he's a HOFer.That being said, I don't expect any of that to happen, but if it did Welker would get a lot of HOF support as a player with 1,100 catches in a 10 yeear span and 4 time SB participant. In reality, I don't see him coming close to those career totals, nor do I see the Pats winning another 2 SBs in the next 5 years.
I think Welker is going to get deserving consideration before anyone ever even cracks open the book on his actual final stats.

'Brothers Mayhem said:
I made the argument earlier this year that the "Patriots O-line pass blocking" is one of the most underrated players/units I can remember seeing recently. Brady sits back there all day whenever he wants to. I wouldn't be in the least bit shocked if most of the sacks he takes come 3-5 seconds into the play when he's obviously been holding it way too long. He just knows he can get away with sitting back there for 5+ seconds most of the time so it's worth it to take the occasional sack when a throwaway was necessary.I don't have any stats to back it up but just watching them, man he can sit back there forever if he wants to. That Miami game early in the year where he threw for 500+ was nuts. You can go entire seasons not seeing QBs stop their "bounce" and just stand there flat-footed as many times as Brady was able to do it in one quarter of that game.

'Brothers Mayhem said:
I made the argument earlier this year that the "Patriots O-line pass blocking" is one of the most underrated players/units I can remember seeing recently. Brady sits back there all day whenever he wants to. I wouldn't be in the least bit shocked if most of the sacks he takes come 3-5 seconds into the play when he's obviously been holding it way too long. He just knows he can get away with sitting back there for 5+ seconds most of the time so it's worth it to take the occasional sack when a throwaway was necessary.I don't have any stats to back it up but just watching them, man he can sit back there forever if he wants to. That Miami game early in the year where he threw for 500+ was nuts. You can go entire seasons not seeing QBs stop there "bounce" and just stand there flat-footed as many times as Brady was able to do it in one quarter of that game.
makes sense then. It would be nice if he threw it away more often, but aside from the playoff games I haven't watched the Pats this season.

'Brothers Mayhem said:
I think those stats can be deceiving. Brady generally has all day to throw if you watch a lot of Pats games - maybe sometimes he holds the ball too long. Sack % can be lessened by a QB throwing an interception because he rushed to throw the ball away before getting hit.

So what?
So you're a dope for thinking Wes Buckner will ever gain free admission into the HOF.

While I cannot argue with the stats that support the NE Oline being a solid unit, I still can't help but to feel that it is a bit misleading. Their is a reason the Pats don't have a typical run game. (It can be argued they dont have any run game) The fact Welker is such a reliable slot receiver and is used like he is, sort of replaces the run game. Teams that have rock solid Olines typically can run well enough to set up their passes and pass well enough to run effectively. This is how teams maintain a balanced offensive approach, as you all well know. The NE Oline gets even more support from having an elite QB under center. Guys like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. have the ability to punish defenses when they want to over pursue or blitz. This causes most defenses to hesitate more and to maybe play less aggressively than they would normally - and when that happens, the Oline looks a little better.

Again, this is just my opinion and statistically speaking, the numbers support the argument for NE having a good Oline. But when I rarely see the big guys dominating the trenches like I do when watching some of the other good Olines, I can't help but to feel that other factors are at work. I do see that NE cannot run at will against opponents. Most of their run yards comes from garbage time anyways IMO. However, they are good at moving the chains because of Welker catching what equates to what the run game should be getting. Couple that with Brady being capable to make the necessary throws consistently and you end up with a pretty good looking Oline. Peyton looks like he has good blocking too when he plays but we saw last season that wasn't a credit to his Oline. (I know Indy isn't known for having a dominate Oline, but Peyton doesn't get sacked very much either)

I'm a just chalk it up to Belichik using what he has to the best of their potential, lol.

'Frenchy Fuqua said:
'AmosMoses said:
'CalBear said:
'AmosMoses said:
So what?
So you're a dope for thinking Wes Buckner will ever gain free admission into the HOF.
It's going to happen, captain #######

'Frenchy Fuqua said:
'AmosMoses said:
'CalBear said:
'AmosMoses said:
So what?
It's going to happen, captain #######
AmosMoses - owns Wes Welker in a PPR league..

Users who are viewing this thread