What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***American Idol Season 13*** (1 Viewer)

Jessica picked a perfect song (Somebody to Love)or her voice/style and delivered. One of her best yet.

Sam - he did better than he usually does vocally...just no presence or passion.
Jessica is awful...and also has zero passion or presence.

And before Keith or Jlo even said it...Jessica sounded just like Jim Carrey in Cable Guy...it was terrible.

It's starting to look like I'm in the minority here but I like Jena. I liked her since the begining and I thought she was the best female artist this season.

I still think it comes down to Caleb, Jena, and Alex as the top three with the darkhorse being Sam just because if the girl vote maybe beating out Alex for the top three.
I think Jena is very good as well.

Think she has a chance to really blow a song out of the water when she is at the piano.

Jessica picked a perfect song (Somebody to Love)or her voice/style and delivered. One of her best yet.

Sam - he did better than he usually does vocally...just no presence or passion.
Jessica is awful...and also has zero passion or presence.

And before Keith or Jlo even said it...Jessica sounded just like Jim Carrey in Cable Guy...it was terrible.
I didn't say I liked it, just that it was her best of the season, and it was.

I've liked Jena all season. I think her and Caleb will be in the finale.

Caleb wins hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
The final placings are cut and dry-

1. Caleb

2. Alex

3. Jena

4. Sam

5. Jessica

I realize a weird voting night can screw that up (like the year Daughtry was elimated before even making the finals), but it looks like a no brainer now. The only mystery left was whether Jessica or CJ would go first.

While it's obvious that Alex and Jena are both way more musically talented than Caleb, he's just way too strong vocally for them to contend with him.

I could see Caleb not winning. Does not necessarily fit in the voting demographic no matter how strong his voice is.

The final placings are cut and dry-

1. Caleb

2. Alex

3. Jena

4. Sam

5. Jessica

I realize a weird voting night can screw that up (like the year Daughtry was elimated before even making the finals), but it looks like a no brainer now. The only mystery left was whether Jessica or CJ would go first.

While it's obvious that Alex and Jena are both way more musically talented than Caleb, he's just way too strong vocally for them to contend with him.
Jena doing a Evanescence song, plus Caleb in the final 2 would be a GREAT :headbang: Finale.

Which is why I don't expect both of them to make the Final show.. :kicksrock:

The only sure thing is Caleb making the finals......The country will at least get half of it right.

Kid has been crushing it every week.....clearly a powerhouse vocalist. Clearly a rock singer, clearly the best performer on stage.

Clearly.

I hope win or lose this kid get's to front a great rock band with great songs.....he can really really be an arena rock star. I wish him all the luck because that is still a tough tough gig. Rock music is dying....fast and it sucks...but it's true. I hope he can carve out a niche for himself with a great band. He is no pop star.

What was the name of that guy who was on several seasons back.....season 4 or 5...hard to remember. He was a long haired kick ### rock singer.

We never heard from him ever again.

I also thought Adam Lambert was going to front a band (yeah yeah I know he is touring with Queen.....good for him) of is own and become a rock god.....but he felt he had to express himself more....LOL. Anyway. He is a ridiculous rock singer. But he went pop.....and fizzled fast.

The only sure thing is Caleb making the finals......The country will at least get half of it right.

Kid has been crushing it every week.....clearly a powerhouse vocalist. Clearly a rock singer, clearly the best performer on stage.

Clearly.

I hope win or lose this kid get's to front a great rock band with great songs.....he can really really be an arena rock star. I wish him all the luck because that is still a tough tough gig. Rock music is dying....fast and it sucks...but it's true. I hope he can carve out a niche for himself with a great band. He is no pop star.

What was the name of that guy who was on several seasons back.....season 4 or 5...hard to remember. He was a long haired kick ### rock singer.

I also thought Adam Lambert was going to front a band (yeah yeah I know he is touring with Queen.....good for him) of is own and become a rock god.....but he felt he had to express himself more....LOL. Anyway. He is a ridiculous rock singer. But he went pop.....and fizzled fast.
Bo Bice? And I get what you're saying but Adam Lambert has had great success and is worth around $10 million. I don't know his music but apparently it sells well.Sad but true about rock. Not many bands play arenas anymore, and if Caleb wins I just don't see much commercial success.

Clearly.

Bo Bice? And I get what you're saying but Adam Lambert has had great success and is worth around $10 million. I don't know his music but apparently it sells well.Sad but true about rock. Not many bands play arenas anymore, and if Caleb wins I just don't see much commercial success.
Seems like that Doughtry kid and David Cook have done pretty well for themselves. I don't see why Caleb can't have a similar professional arc.

El Floppo said:
Wingnut said:
Todem said:

Clearly.

Seems like that Doughtry kid and David Cook have done pretty well for themselves. I don't see why Caleb can't have a similar professional arc.
Yes!!! Bo Bice...remember him well. He was in the finals with Carrie Underwood right? That was a very good finale if my memory serves me correct. So hard to remember the shows....13 seasons now.

Cook is really good as well as Daughtry.......but I tihnk Caleb needs a really powerful band with powerful material. I am not so sure he has any song writing prowess like Cook and Daughtry.

While Adam Lambert has done really well financially......his artistic output stinks. But America loves crap and pays a premium for all kinds of really really lousy crap. LOL.

Just went to Bo Bices web page. Made 4 records. And fronting Blood Sweat and Tears. Cut all his hair off....looks different.

But still in the biz.

Good for him. I liked his voice a lot. Kid could really wail.

El Floppo said:
Wingnut said:
Todem said:

Clearly.

Yes!!! Bo Bice...remember him well. He was in the finals with Carrie Underwood right? That was a very good finale if my memory serves me correct. So hard to remember the shows....13 seasons now.

Cook is really good as well as Daughtry.......but I tihnk Caleb needs a really powerful band with powerful material. I am not so sure he has any song writing prowess like Cook and Daughtry.

While Adam Lambert has done really well financially......his artistic output stinks. But America loves crap and pays a premium for all kinds of really really lousy crap. LOL.
the wife watches Glee. Lambert's on that these days (which she says is his perfect outlet... camp and singing). I've seen him on it- and he fits right in.

the thing about Caleb- he puts his southern arena rock thing on every song he sings (country song this week was a good example), so I don't think he has to worry too much about songwriting... give him a handful of anything and he'll crank out that same sound. Or maybe he's got a hidden bag of song-writing tricks. either way, he shouldn't have any problem for an album or two before he goes on and fronts some 70s/80s band who's original singer has parkinsons.

Clearly.

David Cook doesn't even have a recording contract, he's releasing his latest music on his own. Not sure if that is doing pretty well for themselves.

jerry jones said:

Clearly.

David Cook doesn't even have a recording contract, he's releasing his latest music on his own. Not sure if that is doing pretty well for themselves.
Did he put out any albums? That's more than Caleb. But ok- Doughtry then.

eta:... but I'd guess Caleb's career is more like Cook's. How many new 80's stadium rock songs will sell? He needs some singer from one of those bands to croak and then take over for the band.... that's his best bet at any kind of longevity. Maybe an octagon matchup with the Journey guy from the Phillipines.

Just an opinion....

Jena = Overrated......has good performances, but pronunciation is a problem for her and its annoying. Voice is good, not great.

Jessica = Underrated......has problem with performing aspect, but voice is seriously strong.

Caleb = Great Rock performer, although is a 1 trick pony to me.....no place in market for that though imo. Not sure anyone wants/would to by that type of album. That said, he is fun to watch perform.

Alex - Solid week to week. Probably the best "artist" of the bunch. Can be a bit predictable though.

Sam - Time to go.....just not strong enough.

Overall I can see Caleb winning just because of his performances week to week and judges comments; however, I don't expect to see much of him after show. Jena will most likely be in finals with him, although I don't think she deserves it. Judges have their favorites and its obvious week to week with the critique's they give.

If I had to guess I would say Alex and Jessica have the best chance of the group to have success beyond AI in today's market.

Overall just not feeling AI. It's ok. Something to watch I guess, but to me, The Voice is so much better than AI is stupid.

Caleb Johnson - "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake

Alex Preston - "Say Something" by A Great Big World (feat. Christina Aguilera)

Those two performences were the best two last night.

Just an opinion....

Caleb = Great Rock performer, although is a 1 trick pony to me.....no place in market for that though imo. Not sure anyone wants/would to by that type of album. That said, he is fun to watch perform.
:rolleyes:

Almost every Heavy Metal Rock band singer could fall into that "One Trick pony" crap..

Most notably.. Bon Scott/Brian Johnson... Hell you could even throw Halford in there since all he does is scream.. :lol: .. yet somehow they made it..

Not comparing Caleb to them as he still has a LOT to prove..

If you don't like Heavy Metal singers then just say it, stop hiding behind the "one trick pony" comments.. :pokey: ;)

Jena is flat out phony, plastic and annoying. I keep saying it…..because each and every week she proves it more and more.

Wanna be.

Alex is the true artist and I can see him making it and carving out a niche for himself.

Jessica is a bar singer. Seriously I can't believe she made it this far…..itjust shows how weak the talent level was this season. A total bore, zero stage presence.

Sam……..Sam……ok.

Caleb - again…..Still of the Night was sick. Aerosmith….not so much. But he had great moments in that song once he got past the tender intro that was really shaky….and I can't stand that song anyway…..awful song choice by America. As I have stated….he must be fronting a great rock band. There are tons of great un signed bands who need that front man to become super. Hopefully if he wins this thing they can hook him up with the right band with the right songs who just lack a crazy good vocal talent for arena rock like Caleb. Even though hard rock/80's type rock is not what it once was……it can be a great touring life and a nice career. It still has a following and those of us who still appreciate great rock music (we are a dying breed everyone) will go out and support a great band that kills it live. I know plenty of bands still touring year round (Candlebox etc) playing packed clubs and small venues and living fine and living the music. Caleb is the type of kid who will live the music. He just needs a killer band and he will be fine.

Caleb should win because every week he brings down the house.

Jena will not make it long term. Voice is not that great, personality is pure plastic, and…….she is not that attractive. Three strikes.

Alex is the only one I can see who will have long term visibility…….as he is a real deal musician.

Just an opinion....

Almost every Heavy Metal Rock band singer could fall into that "One Trick pony" crap..

Most notably.. Bon Scott/Brian Johnson... Hell you could even throw Halford in there since all he does is scream.. :lol: .. yet somehow they made it..

If you don't like Heavy Metal singers then just say it, stop hiding behind the "one trick pony" comments.. :pokey: ;)
I think the issue is- is that music still relevant, or just tied to that era. I think Caleb can sing the lights out.. but it definitely all becomes a wash of the same sounding song to me, regardless of what he's singing. Maybe that sound can make a comeback in teh pop charts... or maybe I'm wrong in thinking that it isn't already there?

Those guys you're mentioning aren't in the "terribly relevant" camp these days.

Even though I probably prefer Caleb and Alex to Jena, she seems to be the one who offers the biggest star potential- big voice, comfortable stage presence, and a somewhat unique sound (kinda garbly in teh back of her mouth, which I don't like- but it's distinctive).

Jena is flat out phony, plastic and annoying. I keep saying it…..because each and every week she proves it more and more.

Wanna be.

Alex is the true artist and I can see him making it and carving out a niche for himself.

Jessica is a bar singer. Seriously I can't believe she made it this far…..itjust shows how weak the talent level was this season. A total bore, zero stage presence.

Sam……..Sam……ok.

Caleb - again…..Still of the Night was sick. Aerosmith….not so much. But he had great moments in that song once he got past the tender intro that was really shaky….and I can't stand that song anyway…..awful song choice by America. As I have stated….he must be fronting a great rock band. There are tons of great un signed bands who need that front man to become super. Hopefully if he wins this thing they can hook him up with the right band with the right songs who just lack a crazy good vocal talent for arena rock like Caleb. Even though hard rock/80's type rock is not what it once was……it can be a great touring life and a nice career. It still has a following and those of us who still appreciate great rock music (we are a dying breed everyone) will go out and support a great band that kills it live. I know plenty of bands still touring year round (Candlebox etc) playing packed clubs and small venues and living fine and living the music. Caleb is the type of kid who will live the music. He just needs a killer band and he will be fine.

Caleb should win because every week he brings down the house.

Jena will not make it long term. Voice is not that great, personality is pure plastic, and…….she is not that attractive. Three strikes.

Alex is the only one I can see who will have long term visibility…….as he is a real deal musician.
I agree with all of this, except for Jena not making it. Avatar bet?

Just an opinion....

I think the issue is- is that music still relevant, or just tied to that era. I think Caleb can sing the lights out.. but it definitely all becomes a wash of the same sounding song to me, regardless of what he's singing. Maybe that sound can make a comeback in teh pop charts... or maybe I'm wrong in thinking that it isn't already there?

Those guys you're mentioning aren't in the "terribly relevant" camp these days.

Even though I probably prefer Caleb and Alex to Jena, she seems to be the one who offers the biggest star potential- big voice, comfortable stage presence, and a somewhat unique sound (kinda garbly in teh back of her mouth, which I don't like- but it's distinctive).
Yea, I unfortunately agree that Heavy metal has lost it's hold lately.. :( :(

But bands like Avenged Sevenfold are doing their best, and selling pretty good from what I know, to keep :headbang: relevant.

So maybe Caleb can help keep it relevant. :)

The odds are against any of them 'making it', if Kelly Clarkson and Daughtry are the standard.

Jena has a quirky voice which is very relevant in today's pop landscape. She also is a very talented pianist. And, more importantly, she's a songwriter. She has as good of a shot as any of them to gaining a bit of traction when the show is over.

The odds are against any of them 'making it', if Kelly Clarkson and Daughtry are the standard.

Jena has a quirky voice which is very relevant in today's pop landscape. She also is a very talented pianist. And, more importantly, she's a songwriter. She has as good of a shot as any of them to gaining a bit of traction when the show is over.
Alex and Jena have the best shot of having a hit song or three and some reasonable commercial success.

Caleb will no doubt have a career in music. How successful/fringe it will be will depend upon the band he hooks up with

Sam will go to college.

The other chick will go back to playing bars.

Any reason they need to have people fake playing instruments?

No way was Sam's guitar hooked up to anything...he would be playing and there was no guitar sound happening.

No way was Sam's guitar hooked up to anything...he would be playing and there was no guitar sound happening.
Someone else asked this same question earlier in the thread too. There are times when the singer will stop playing all together and nothing sounds any different.

I think it's time for Sam to go. Whichever one of Sam / Jessica isn't eliminated tonight will go next week.

Someone else asked this same question earlier in the thread too. There are times when the singer will stop playing all together and nothing sounds any different.

I think it's time for Sam to go. Whichever one of Sam / Jessica isn't eliminated tonight will go next week.
Im not sure Sam would know what to do at all if he couldn't fake strum the guitar.

The only time I like Jessica is when she's performing with Caleb. Guess she needs a man around to open her up.

sho nuff said:

Im not sure Sam would know what to do at all if he couldn't fake strum the guitar.
I think you're right. He may just be very uncomfortable without his guitar. He is fingering the right chords, but I don't know if it's included in the mix we're hearing.

He can play, though. He played solo during auditions and in Hollywood week.

sho nuff said:

I think you're right. He may just be very uncomfortable without his guitar. He is fingering the right chords, but I don't know if it's included in the mix we're hearing.

Yeah...I know he can play...just been noticing it more on his songs.

Id also like to see Alex do a song where he really plays...IIRC he is probably the best on the guitar of all of them.

sho nuff said:

Id also like to see Alex do a song where he really plays...IIRC he is probably the best on the guitar of all of them.
Didn't he play last night?

:hey:

I also pointed out a while ago that Keith is gay. I'm glad you could all join me in the AI thread.

Thought the other night mostly sucked.

The only takeaway I have from that night was OMG Ariana Grande!! :jawdrop:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

ETA: I'm not a musician, but it looked to me like Sam wasn't even "playing" chords. Fingers looked like they stayed in the same position the entire time.

sho nuff said:

Didn't he play last night?
Alex? Yes, he always plays...by "really" play, I mean really throw down on the guitar...I know he can do it.

Don't just want to see him sitting and strumming, but take a break in the song and really go get it.

Was that stupid twist at the end some kind of lame attempt by the producers to save Sam for another week? I thought this was a horrible idea. I'm glad two of the contestants voted no.

Was that stupid twist at the end some kind of lame attempt by the producers to save Sam for another week? I thought this was a horrible idea. I'm glad two of the contestants voted no.
That was what we took from it..

Would like to know who said "screw you" and voted No.

:thumbup: to them.

That was what we took from it..

Would like to know who said "screw you" and voted No.

:thumbup: to them.
I guarantee you that it wasn't Sam or Jessica.
Gonna say Alex and Jena.

Caleb was saying "vote Yes" as they were "going to commercial".

Caleb definitely said yes. THere was a period before voting where they were sort of grouped, so there could have been some communication. What's the motivation for saying no? I only saw the last few minutes of the show; was anyone told they were safe?

Caleb definitely said yes. THere was a period before voting where they were sort of grouped, so there could have been some communication. What's the motivation for saying no? I only saw the last few minutes of the show; was anyone told they were safe?
No to the bold part.

Motivation to saying No is to get rid of the weakest link(s) now so as to not give them a chance next week..

Imagine if they all voted "yes, save everyone" and they then announced who would have been sent home had they gone that route.. They announce Sam would have gone home and his voters swamp next weeks voting to save him yet again, thereby sending someone more deserving of staying home. :mellow:

I assumed they would not announce who got the lowest votes.
When they said there was a twist, I figured there was a statistical tie and they were going to make the contestants pick who goes home, or else they both go home. What actually happened seemed pointless and stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread