What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (1 Viewer)

Old Shoe said:
Also make sure GPS is off if you are not using it. Under settings it should be a checkbox under location
Battery Widget can also do this - it will show a live battery meter (100%, 90%, 80%, etc.) and if you touch it it will open a prompt that allows you to turn off three of the biggest battery killers out there - GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth. The big thing is that they all use the radio, which is basically like talking on the phone, except instead of a single conversation you start and then hang up, they constantly check to see if there's a GPS signal, or a WiFi signal, or any traffic for them on the WiFi network, or a bluetooth device, and so on. Turning those off when not in use will save a ton of energy on virtually any device.
The Power Control Widget is a must have in my opinion and I have on one of my home pages. Not only controls the WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth, but also has 3 pre-set brightness settings that can be adjusted with one touch. I have my brightness turned all the way down most of the time (to save battery life) but there are times, especially in sunlight that I need the screen brighter. This widget makes it quick and simple to adjust the brightness settings. Also with one touch, you can turn on or off your internet sync. Great widget imo and found by holding down in a blank portion of the screen, selecting "Android Widgets" and "Power Control".

Thanks Guys. That's interesting on the task killer doing more harm than good. I was just following the crowd there.J
take it with a grain of salt. there are a small minority of geeks that say it's bad because the system is designed to have open apps just go to cache and not use up memory. I have yet to talk to anyone or even read a post from someone that actually had a problem, and there are far more people that believe it is an essential app.
To play Devil's Advocate, I have tried the ATK app and currently have it removed and saw zero difference in battery life, cpu speed, etc. I am no DX expert and simply going on experience.FWIW
did you see any ill effects?

Thanks Guys. That's interesting on the task killer doing more harm than good. I was just following the crowd there.J
take it with a grain of salt. there are a small minority of geeks that say it's bad because the system is designed to have open apps just go to cache and not use up memory. I have yet to talk to anyone or even read a post from someone that actually had a problem, and there are far more people that believe it is an essential app.
To play Devil's Advocate, I have tried the ATK app and currently have it removed and saw zero difference in battery life, cpu speed, etc. I am no DX expert and simply going on experience.FWIW
did you see any ill effects?
No...I did not have any adverse effects.

same here. i noticed the phone locked/froze up more with the taker app, specially the cell phone part of the phone.

Old Shoe said:
Also make sure GPS is off if you are not using it. Under settings it should be a checkbox under location
Battery Widget can also do this - it will show a live battery meter (100%, 90%, 80%, etc.) and if you touch it it will open a prompt that allows you to turn off three of the biggest battery killers out there - GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth. The big thing is that they all use the radio, which is basically like talking on the phone, except instead of a single conversation you start and then hang up, they constantly check to see if there's a GPS signal, or a WiFi signal, or any traffic for them on the WiFi network, or a bluetooth device, and so on. Turning those off when not in use will save a ton of energy on virtually any device.
The Power Control Widget is a must have in my opinion and I have on one of my home pages. Not only controls the WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth, but also has 3 pre-set brightness settings that can be adjusted with one touch. I have my brightness turned all the way down most of the time (to save battery life) but there are times, especially in sunlight that I need the screen brighter. This widget makes it quick and simple to adjust the brightness settings. Also with one touch, you can turn on or off your internet sync. Great widget imo and found by holding down in a blank portion of the screen, selecting "Android Widgets" and "Power Control".
thx....this is exactly what I've been looking for

Old Shoe said:
thx....this is exactly what I've been looking for
I like mini info

Same here. Haven't noticed it better/worse without the ATk, so it's one less app on my phone and one less thing I click :shrug:

Old Shoe said:
Love this too and like it better than most aftermarket ones. A few of those, when you click on GPS for example, take you to the GPS settings. The stock one instantly changes the GPS setting. There should be a setting on the brightness for auto dim/brighten. I switched to that and really like it. Walking out of the house and into the sunlight you can see your phone brighten when it needs to without manually doing it.

Old Shoe said:
This is much better than what I was doing. Thanks!

I started developing some apps for android. Will be doing something more meaningful soon, but I started with a few free soundboards:

Caddyshack

Swingers

Sideways

Search for "Zero1 Development" if you are interested. Let me know what you think.

For task killing, use TasKiller. It's much more simple than ATK. Just a button you press to kill all tasks. No need to go into an app to do it.

I

Love this too and like it better than most aftermarket ones. A few of those, when you click on GPS for example, take you to the GPS settings. The stock one instantly changes the GPS setting. There should be a setting on the brightness for auto dim/brighten. I switched to that and really like it. Walking out of the house and into the sunlight you can see your phone brighten when it needs to without manually doing it.
I use 'quick settings' widget. One touch changing of all volumes, wifi, gps, screen brightness, ringer mode etc.

I started developing some apps for android. Will be doing something more meaningful soon, but I started with a few free soundboards:CaddyshackSwingersSidewaysSearch for "Zero1 Development" if you are interested. Let me know what you think.
What do people use soundboards for?

3C said:
Parasailer said:
17seconds said:
I started developing some apps for android. Will be doing something more meaningful soon, but I started with a few free soundboards:CaddyshackSwingersSidewaysSearch for "Zero1 Development" if you are interested. Let me know what you think.
To annoy those around them?
IASIP Soundboard can be converted into ringtones. I have the "Day Man" song as mine.

Is there anyway I can have my phone vibrate when I am getting a call and text message along with the ringtone too?
yes. It's under sound settings.
I can get it to vibrate and ring when I get calls but can't find a way to do this for texts.
Which message client/app are you using?The default messaging client you need to go into the message app, click the "android" button, settings, scroll to the bottom

Is there anyway I can have my phone vibrate when I am getting a call and text message along with the ringtone too?
yes. It's under sound settings.
I can get it to vibrate and ring when I get calls but can't find a way to do this for texts.
Which message client/app are you using?The default messaging client you need to go into the message app, click the "android" button, settings, scroll to the bottom
I am using the default client, I just got the droid x a few days ago.

I'm trying to decide between getting the Captivate and iPhone 4. I don't care much for the FaceTime and the lack of LED flash isn't a big concern so aside from those issues the Captivate and iPhone 4 are a near wash (FaceTime/LED Flash vs. Larger Screen/Expandable memory/Replaceable battery).The deciding factor will be Android vs iOS and applications available to each. My GF and most of my friends with smartphones have iPhones so I'm pretty familiar with what Apple has to offer, but I'm completely clueless regarding Android. So can you guys explain to me the cool things that Android has that iOS doesn't and how does the Android's apps stack up to Apples?Some thing I know Android has over iOS....- Swype keyboard- Voice to Text- Better Google Maps (turn by turn)So what other perks does Android have? I would also welcome any reviews of the Samsung Captivate as well!
Just got a Captivate myself, I had the Backflip and liked that, but my wife wanted a Backflip also when her acc't came up for an upgrade recently. So instead, she got the Captivate and we switched SIM cards. Only had it a day now, so it's really premature to be judging, but it is a really nice phone. The screen is great, it is very snappy and I like the way it's setup. And I can verify that it can take a fall from about 4 feet up onto hardwood flooring :unsure:I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Captivate at all, but then, you probably won't be with the iPhone 4 either. Both have a large selection of apps available, so it's unlikely that would end up being the determining factor.
Thanks. I'm still undecided. Right now it's 50/50 for both. I was initially leaning towards the Captivate but the lack of games compared to iPhone, less then stellar reviews of the Java on Froyo, and the current issues with the Captivate GPS pushed me towards the iPhone, which can become nearly as powerful/customizable as an Android phone once it is jailbroken and it also holds value better than the Captivate would. I'm in no rush so I'll wait to see how this all plays out. Anyone know of any upcoming AT&T Android phone that could top the Captivate or iPhone 4?
Service. AT&T has lousy service. The single deciding factor when I got my Incredible.

I've 3 starred every level on Angry Birds except for 7. It's driving me nuts.
:goodposting: No idea what I have to do here to get 3 stars. I have finished the level with only one shot, and that still wasn't good enough.
I only get 1 star on level 1 and I've cleared it with 1 shot. :shrug:
It's points based, you need more destruction
I've gotten 74k+ on level 7. I'm praying that 3 starts is at 75k.

:goodposting: No idea what I have to do here to get 3 stars. I have finished the level with only one shot, and that still wasn't good enough.
I only get 1 star on level 1 and I've cleared it with 1 shot. :shrug:
I'm still trying to complete my 3 stars also, I have 6 levels to go. I do know it's points based , as I was at like 49950 on one level and was at 2 stars and hit 50100 and it became 3 stars. The problem is each level has different point threshholds

:ptts: No idea what I have to do here to get 3 stars. I have finished the level with only one shot, and that still wasn't good enough.
I only get 1 star on level 1 and I've cleared it with 1 shot. :lmao:
:lmao: I just tried it after posting this and in about 6 tries got 79k points and 3 stars (2 shots). Angry Birds - 3 stars every level - check

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:People seem to like them. Some have >250,000 downloads. The Caddyshack one I did is kind of fun, especially on the golf course. I use Al Cervik's car horn as my alarm.

Anyone that's interested in putting custom kernels and ROMs on your Android phone, get these two apps:

- Titanium Backup

- ROM manager (Clockwork Mod)

There are 2 levels for each, regular and premium. Neither is too expensive, but they kick much ###.

I think you need to root your phone prior to doing all this stuff though.

You may ask what's so great about a rooted/custom ROM? Better battery life, more customizable, more features, up-to-date apps, themes and widgets, etc. etc.

Anyone that's interested in putting custom kernels and ROMs on your Android phone, get these two apps:- Titanium Backup- ROM manager (Clockwork Mod)There are 2 levels for each, regular and premium. Neither is too expensive, but they kick much ###.I think you need to root your phone prior to doing all this stuff though.You may ask what's so great about a rooted/custom ROM? Better battery life, more customizable, more features, up-to-date apps, themes and widgets, etc. etc.
Rooted my phone a couple days ago and have found some pretty cool ROMS but the process seems to require some pretty good knowledge and I am afraid of screwing up my phone.

Some apps I am particularly liking (that may or may not be mentioned in this thread since i don't remember):

BatteryLeft - analyzes your phone as the battery cycles and makes predictions on how long it will last. Pretty nice.

Aldiko - lots and lots of classic books.

World News - newspapers from everywhere.

Alchemy. Crazy addictive game. Free, ad supported, you can pay $5 to remove the ads and unlock an Undo button.

Search Android Market for "alchemy zed" ...there's a lot of alchemy games so be sure to add "zed" to your search to ensure you get the correct one.

This page has a basic review of the game plus a list of all the element combinations. I recommend you read the review, but not the list 'cause that would be cheating :sleep:

http://www.androidappreviewsource.com/2010...oid-app-review/

Angry Birds Full Version free!

Download free from their site. Link (credit Kotaku)

Their site appears to be overloaded at the moment, so it's hard to get a download. Here's a mirror. Another mirror Mirrors are dead

I uploaded the full version (.apk file) to my 4shared folder. Click the link, download it (straight to your phones root folder or your pc and move it manually to phone), open the file with a file manager program (Astro File Manager) and it will instantly install.

Here is the download LINK

**The file is not compressed and in it's original form**

Users who are viewing this thread